PDA

View Full Version : Do you make your sleeves one at a time or both together?

zkimom
12-30-2006, 11:57 AM
I was just wondering. I make both my sleeves at the same time. My mom always did it that way and I figure if I'm going to flub a row or miss an increase that I will do it the same on both sleeves. :shrug: I know both my sleeves will come out the same.

What do y'all do?

Best,
Susan

Virtuella
12-30-2006, 12:13 PM
I usually knit them both at the same time, but not on the same needle. Makes them look the same, I knit a bit on the one and a bit on the other. They end up looking like then.

Ingrid
12-30-2006, 12:19 PM
I always knit them both at the same time, or I'd never make the second sleeve. :teehee: I put a marker between them to remind myself to work the second sleeve rather than just turn and work back on the one.

Chrissie
12-30-2006, 06:54 PM
I make them one at a time because that's the only way I know how....

:verysad:

But I am still on my first project with sleeves, so perhaps I will learn a new technique for the next sweater.

five_six
12-30-2006, 07:21 PM
Always make them both at the same time, i hate counting and recounting. I do the same with socks and pant legs too. :hug:

losnana
12-30-2006, 09:57 PM
I always knit them both at the same time, or I'd never make the second sleeve. :teehee: I put a marker between them to remind myself to work the second sleeve rather than just turn and work back on the one.

That's how I do it too. Once I forgot to use the marker and got several inches ahead on one sleeve. I :shrug: :shrug: don't know where my head was that day.

cmk
12-30-2006, 11:09 PM
I knit both sleeves at the same time and also knit cardigan left and right front at the same time. I use a marker on one of the fronts to remind me to reverse the shaping.

Carolyn

DreamWeaver
12-30-2006, 11:29 PM
I knit them one at a time :oops: I like to knit them singularly because I do a lot o KIPing, and they're just more portible (and they all don't fit on the same needle)

hunterjenn
12-31-2006, 01:30 AM
Holy smokes!! It never occurred to me to do them both at once. See, ya learn something new every day! Thanks! :happydance:

Lieke
12-31-2006, 04:59 AM
my mom told me it'd be easier to do both at the same time, and since she learned me how to knit, I followed her advice. I like to knit them at the same time, for I'll be sure they look the same.

Braden
12-31-2006, 05:57 PM
I make mine together, because, like Ingrid, I'd never do the other one if I didn't.

MoniDew
12-31-2006, 09:01 PM
I knit both sleeves at the same time and also knit cardigan left and right front at the same time. I use a marker on one of the fronts to remind me to reverse the shaping.

Carolyn

yup! it's the only way to fly! :cheering:
________
EXTREME Q (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/extreme)

Nikki
12-31-2006, 09:05 PM
Will some of you smart women explain how to make 2 at the same time? :muah:
Thanks

Nikki
01-01-2007, 11:54 AM
bump

Pretty please with champagne on top?

brownishcoat
01-01-2007, 02:14 PM
Well, I've never done them, but that's the way I plan on doing it when I start making sweaters. I'd simply apply what I've learned from knitting socks 2-at-once.

You'd use 2 balls of yarn and a slightly longer circ (at least 24-29 in.), cast on for each and go from there. Mirror the shaping. If they were done in the round, I'd use the Magic Loop method.

Everything else would probably depend on the pattern. :shrug:

losnana
01-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Check out this site: http://www.knitaddicted.com/files/MagicLoop.pdf

nadja la claire
01-01-2007, 06:00 PM
I've never made anything that has separate sleeves. Please, to explain how do you make both at once :teehee: :??

Nadja xxx

zkimom
01-01-2007, 09:53 PM
You cast on the required number of stitches for the first sleeve with one ball of yarn and then cast on for the second sleeve with a second ball of yarn. Then you follow the directions for the increases/decreases for the sleeves first on one and then the other. You work across both sleeves at the same time and when you are done you have both sleeves. The only trick is to keep the 2 balls of yarn from getting tangled.

Best,
Susan

Nikki
01-02-2007, 09:08 AM
:heart: :heart: :heart:
Thanks everyone!!
losnana, :muah: for the link to the magic loop tute. I've just finished one wallaby and I'd love to try both sleeves at once for the next one.

KH comes through again. Again, thank you.

nadja la claire
01-02-2007, 03:15 PM
You cast on the required number of stitches for the first sleeve with one ball of yarn and then cast on for the second sleeve with a second ball of yarn. Then you follow the directions for the increases/decreases for the sleeves first on one and then the other. You work across both sleeves at the same time and when you are done you have both sleeves. The only trick is to keep the 2 balls of yarn from getting tangled.

Best,
Susan

WOW! Thanks for explaining that. It sounds so simple. 1 more thing. Is this done on 2 circs or magic loop, or can you do it on either?

Nadja xxx

CityKnitter
01-02-2007, 03:25 PM
I did the sleeves for the sweater I am currently making at one time, and will never do them singularly again!!

losnana
01-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Nadja, I do it on one long circular, magic Loop. Haven't ever done anything on 2 circulars.

MoniDew
01-10-2007, 02:40 PM
oops! sorry, see below.
________
MAZDA ATENZA SPECIFICATIONS (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Mazda_Atenza)

MoniDew
01-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Actually, I usually just use one circ. That's enough to hold all those stitches. As explained, I cast on one sleeve (or front) with one ball of yarn, cast on the other with a second. Knit across the first, switch balls, knit across the second - then turn around and come back the other way, purling across one, switch, purl across the other. Make sense?
________
FIBROMYALGIA ADVICE (http://www.health-forums.org/fibromyalgia/)

bip
01-10-2007, 04:30 PM
Am I to understand that you can knit two things in the round at once? Or are you only able to knit one sleeve flat then the other? I figure you must be able to do two in the round, since I've heard that is a preferred way to do socks and mittens.

By Magic Loop, are you keeping one sleeve/sock/mitten on one "half" of the needle and the other on the other? (just as if they were two halves of one piece).

Renoah
01-10-2007, 05:22 PM
I think two techniques are getting mixed together here...

If you're knitting the sleeves flat and then seaming them, you can cast on to one long circ using two balls of yarn and do a row on each sleeve as you work across. It's just like regular knitting flat, except that you switch which ball of yarn you're using when you get to the middle, so the two sides stay unconnected. (Some sweaters have you do this up around the neckline, too, I think... same principle. Two unconnected sections of knitting, but on one long needle.)

If you're knitting the sleeves in the round, you can do them like the 2-at-once socks in this article (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/FEATextreme2in1.html), which has you knit one tube inside the other. The stitches of each tube are alternated on the needle. This is what you could use Magic Loop for, although it doesn't really matter; it works with however you prefer to knit in the round, I think.

Hope that clears things up a little. :)

CarmenIbanez
01-10-2007, 05:51 PM
I never thought to do it this way! :oops:

cam90066
01-10-2007, 10:54 PM
Always do both sleeves at once. In addition to almost always doing both fronts tog, sometimes I'll do both fronts AND the back at one time (on circ). Gets heavy, tad unwieldy, but sure makes it easy to keep armholes, shoulders, etc aligned.

cam

MoniDew
01-10-2007, 10:56 PM
I knit flat on one circ. Have not yet graduated to being able to knit in the round on two circs - and especially not yet tried to knit two things in the round on two circs. I've seen it, but I don't "get it", yet. Someday. But not today.
________
Brazilian cooking (http://www.cooking-chef.com/brazilian/)

gingergal4l8r
01-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Please fill us in on how to knit both at the same time,,,
that sounds like it would take way less time.

brownishcoat
01-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Please fill us in on how to knit both at the same time,,, that sounds like it would take way less time.

There are several descriptions throughout the thread. I posted one myself on page 1, I think it's the last entry.

Perhaps if you described the part you're having trouble understanding?

bip
01-11-2007, 05:54 PM
That knitty article rocked my world, I can't wait to try it.

brownishcoat
01-11-2007, 07:11 PM
The knitty article was interesting, but one of the main reasons to knit in the round is less purling, in my opinion anyway. It's not called Extreme Knitting for nothing!

Magic Loop or 2 circs is much easier to keep straight.