PDA

View Full Version : This Is Too Cool

Knitting_Guy
12-30-2006, 02:50 PM
After several botched and frogged attempts my 2x2 ribbed scarf is starting to come together for me. Admittedly I've only done a few rows so far, but they're rows without added/dropped stitches and are looking reasonably even.

Now that I have a few rows done I can see the pattern starting to reveal itself and it's just very cool to see. It's actually starting to look like something.

Maybe I can do this after all.

mulene
12-30-2006, 03:03 PM
isn't it awesome when it all comes together and you start to see the pattern forming before your eyes? That is my favourite moment in knitting =D Keep at it - of course you can do this!

Stiney
12-30-2006, 03:05 PM
You can totally do it! Cause you have to knit this (http://dabne.net/carolina/geekknit/linuxscarf-en.htm)!

Knitting_Guy
12-30-2006, 03:13 PM
isn't it awesome when it all comes together and you start to see the pattern forming before your eyes? That is my favourite moment in knitting =D Keep at it - of course you can do this!

Yeah, it's awesome. Thanks.

Knitting_Guy
12-30-2006, 03:16 PM
You can totally do it! Cause you have to knit this (http://dabne.net/carolina/geekknit/linuxscarf-en.htm)!

OMG! You would have to show me that! I just have to give that a try as soon as I think I can manage it. That's unreal.

I'm still struggling with basic stitches and have no idea yet how to work with more than one color, but now I have even more reason to learn. That scarf is incredible.

AnreeAce
12-30-2006, 03:30 PM
OMG! You would have to show me that! I just have to give that a try as soon as I think I can manage it. That's unreal.

Illusion knitting is waaaaay easier than it looks, just knit and purl. You can do it!

Knitting_Guy
12-30-2006, 03:34 PM

Illusion knitting is waaaaay easier than it looks, just knit and purl. You can do it!

I still need to practice my stitches. Besides, I haven't yet learned how to work with more than one color.

Knitting_Guy
12-30-2006, 04:35 PM
I keep looking at that Linux scarf. I think I know what my next project is going to be. :)

I showed the pic of the Linux scarf online to some fellow Linux geeks and now I have several of them wanting me to knit them one (same guys who thought the knitting thing was lame) LOL

DreamWeaver
12-30-2006, 11:58 PM
I showed the pic of the Linux scarf online to some fellow Linux geeks and now I have several of them wanting me to knit them one (same guys who thought the knitting thing was lame) LOL

it's so awsome when life bites you (or in this case, your friends) in the butt like that.

Anywho, keep on knitting! It's going to look great in the end, just you wait.

(BTW, how could knitting ever be lame? :teehee: )

kellyh57
12-31-2006, 01:17 AM
Ya know, I thought I'd never in a million years get my husband to wear a scarf, but I think I found one that I might get around him- the penguin one! He loves Linux and loves to show it off! Such a geek. (I got him a t-shirt with the penguin swatting at the MS butterfly- He :heart: it! I'm so proud.)

Kelly

Knitting_Guy
12-31-2006, 01:25 AM
it's so awsome when life bites you (or in this case, your friends) in the butt like that.

Anywho, keep on knitting! It's going to look great in the end, just you wait.

(BTW, how could knitting ever be lame? :teehee: )

Thanks. beats me, doesn't seem lame to me. Frustrating, yes, lame, no. LOL

Knitting_Guy
12-31-2006, 01:26 AM
Kelly;

Your hubby sounds like a man after my own heart. I have that same tee shirt among several other Linux ones. I'm sure he'd love that scarf (I do).

What distro does he use? I'm an old Slacker.

nadja la claire
12-31-2006, 05:02 PM
I keep looking at that Linux scarf. I think I know what my next project is going to be. :)

COOL! Tell them you'll teach them how to knit and then they can make it themselves. :teehee:

:hug: :muah:

Nadja xxx

kellyh57
12-31-2006, 07:41 PM

RedHat, mostly. He just likes to play with it. He gets mad when we buy programs and stuff that doesn't work on it. He wants me to use it and get rid of all MS. Yeah right....It'll be a long time before everything I use works well without MS!

Kelly

Knitting_Guy
12-31-2006, 07:48 PM

COOL! Tell them you'll teach them how to knit and then they can make it themselves. :teehee:

:hug: :muah:

Nadja xxx

Most of those guys can't tie their own shoes and have to buy velcro closures LOL

Knitting_Guy
12-31-2006, 07:49 PM

RedHat, mostly. He just likes to play with it. He gets mad when we buy programs and stuff that doesn't work on it. He wants me to use it and get rid of all MS. Yeah right....It'll be a long time before everything I use works well without MS!

Kelly

I never cared for RPM based distros, but to each his/her own.

I'm wondering now what sort of stuff you use that can't be done in Linux. I run 100% Linux and can't think of anything for which I would need MS.

Stiney
12-31-2006, 07:52 PM
MAC OS X!!!! MAC OS X!!!

Knitting_Guy
12-31-2006, 07:54 PM
MAC OS X!!!! MAC OS X!!!

Well, better than Windows anyway. LOL

kellyh57
01-01-2007, 03:42 AM
I'm wondering now what sort of stuff you use that can't be done in Linux. I run 100% Linux and can't think of anything for which I would need MS.

Ever tried kids' games? Those cheapo ones in the bins at the store? I don't even think they work on macs they're so awful! I think our old scanner blows up on there too. (I had to get a new one when I switched to Windows 2000....it's fairly old!)

Kelly

Knitting_Guy
01-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Kelly;

Yeah, those games are written for Windows. Most of them can be run in Linux using an emulator, but I get what you mean.

Your scanner probably would work in Linux with a bit of work setting up the driver module and sane. But hardware can be an issue for a lot of people as the hardware was designed for Windows and the manufacturers refuse to release open source drivers. But there are ways around that if you know what you're doing.

I kid around about Windows vs Linux, but in all honesty Windows is often the best choice for the casual computer user in many cases. Linux appeals to those of us with more of a geek nature. :D

of troy
01-01-2007, 12:24 PM
1--that linex scarf, while it is 2 colored, is knit 1 color at a time (2 rows of color A, 2 rows of color B. its really just fancy stripes.

2--have you seen this?
http://www.knitlist.com/binary_knitting.htm

there is also a perl script out there that take typed in text, and outputs knit and purl patterns.

there is lots and lots of geek/nerd/computer knitting--and lots of geeky/nerdy/computer tech's who knit.

Here are a few sites that are math (i know computer nerds are just a subset of math nerds) /knitting related
http://buzzfeed.com/buzz/Crafty_Geometry

Stiney
01-01-2007, 01:49 PM
There's also this (http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTbinary.html) binary scarf.