PDA

View Full Version : knitting - CT area

mrs.hre
01-01-2007, 12:27 PM
any knitters in the ct area :sun:

geenah
01-14-2007, 01:26 PM
originally from CT, but now I'm living in the Houston area.

mrs.hre
01-14-2007, 01:29 PM
hi
where in ct were you from i am near waterbury. maggie

geenah
01-14-2007, 03:44 PM
I lived in Southington, and my husband was from Durham. I heard there hasn't been any snow up there yet.

mrs.hre
01-14-2007, 07:39 PM
we had a little last wed. but nothing to speak of yet. it was in the 70s a few times can you believe it? this weekend has been rainy and raw. we may see :cheering: a little this week, very little. its funny seeing motor cycles on the road in the middle of dec. and jan. how about you how is it out where you are. maggie :cheering:

Kaydee
01-16-2007, 02:41 PM
I'm orginally from CT too now living in Boston...but I do go home there about once a month.

mrs.hre
01-16-2007, 10:20 PM
hi
i am in the waterbury area. we have had warm weather here but this week its real cold and m aybe snow this week. i am a beginer knitter but i love it. maggie

zkimom
01-20-2007, 01:28 PM
Hi -- Redding here!

Where do you buy your yarn? I know there is (was?) a yarn store in Southbury in Heritage Village but I have never made it there.

I mostly go to A Stitch in Time in Bethel and sometimes to Nancy O's in Ridgefield and even more rarely to Knitting Central in Westport.

I am planning field trips to Stamford and Greenwich and maybe over into Westchester. We really live in a yarn rich state!

I've been to the knitting store in Mystic but the yarn bug hadn't really hit me yet so I don't think I bought much :doh:

Wasn't the snow fun the other day? My kids and I played hooky the next day even though there wasn't much on the ground. They were outside with the dogs until past 8 pm on Thursday night playing in what little snow there was!

Nice to see other Nutmeggers here! :muah:
Susan

mrs.hre
01-20-2007, 04:04 PM
hi
i think there is still a yarn shop in southbury,but i hear they aren't friendly there. there is one in naugatuck that some one had bought opening feb 15th. she is going to be carrying lions brand. i find that the yarn shops are very expensive, so i go to walmart or ac moores, unless there is something i really need then i go to the yarn shops.
i couldnt believe the snow. i loved when we had the warm weather. i could live in that forever. well nice chatting with you. keep in touch. it is nice to have some one in ct that knits maggie

lemur
01-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Hello all,

I live in Southington, and am a fairly novice knitter. I usually go to Creative Fibers in South Windsor, although I've been to the Wool Connection, Mystic Yarns, the place in Southbury, and several others around the state.

For a nice day trip (drive up for lunch and shopping), hubby and I drive up to Webs in Northampton, MA.

ACMoore is close by too, but their selection is mostly acrylic, or wool-acrylic blends. I do tend to be attracted to more expensive yarns, such as Colinette.

Lisa

Finnegan
01-31-2007, 07:22 PM
Hi ladies,
Just wanted to let you know that the yarn store in Stamford, Knit Together, is going out of business. They started a big sale today (1/31). They are on High Ridge Road a mile or so south of the Merritt Parkway. Also, if you make a field trip to Stamford, there is a nice, but small, yarn shop in Greenwich on Mason St.

Happy Knitting!

zkimom
02-03-2007, 09:15 AM
Thanks for posting that -- I am so there!!! I hope there's something left :pray:

Best,
Susan

zkimom
02-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Ok, I went.

The damage is pictured below.

The sale prices were not that great. I can get most of what I got online for about the same price. I think that's why I didn't buy more.

It is sad to see a yarn store go out of business.

Best,
Susan

lemur
02-07-2007, 12:54 AM
Ooooo Susan,

What is the purple yarn on the right side of your picture?

Lisa

zkimom
02-07-2007, 05:29 PM
Ooooo Susan,

What is the purple yarn on the right side of your picture?

Lisa

It's Cascade 220 -- ain't it purty?? It's not quite as purple as it appears on my monitor.

Can't wait to see what it wants to be when it grows up :teehee:

Best,
Susan

topfuziel
02-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Hi...I live in Brookfield. No one has mentioned The Village Sheep, up in New Milford on Rte 202. It's just opposite The Silo. I haven't been inside, but they have a beautiful website.
I've been going to A Stitch in Time in Bethel, too. I just starting knitting and took a beginner's class there. They've been very helpful. My mom is a "pro," but refused to teach me! (I think the fact that I'm a lefty scared her!)

panthergirl
02-25-2007, 12:55 AM
I probably missed the sale in Stamford, but wanted to say that the Greenwich store (The Knitting Niche) is gorgeous and their selection is absolutely amazing. They will also help you with anything you want to make.

I equate it to an opium den. I can't stay away!

Hi ladies,
Just wanted to let you know that the yarn store in Stamford, Knit Together, is going out of business. They started a big sale today (1/31). They are on High Ridge Road a mile or so south of the Merritt Parkway. Also, if you make a field trip to Stamford, there is a nice, but small, yarn shop in Greenwich on Mason St.

Happy Knitting!

panthergirl
02-28-2007, 09:19 AM
Also wanted to say that I live in Vista NY, between New Canaan and Ridgefield CT, so that would qualify as "CT area"!

I work in Greenwich.

I'm just making my first non-scarf project, a baby bolero, pictured here. I've got the back and two front panels done, just working on the short sleeves. I think I made a few boo-boos here and there, but hopefully they won't show! We'll see when I go to put everything together...

nutterknitter
02-28-2007, 08:51 PM
Hi!
I live in New Canaan, CT (near Stamford) and have been knitting for 2 years or so--hate to admit that because I am still a beginner! I took lessons with my daughter (16) but she has not got the knit bug yet-never finished her first project! I did finally start purling and am now doing a project that is going to take me the rest of my life--a shawl in a rib pattern :wall:
Our LYS is closing (Knit Together in Stamford) and so I have to find another place to go for questions and help. :verysad: Knitting Central, in Westport, is not too far.
Hope to find all the CT knitters.
Nutterknitter (Linda)

zkimom
03-01-2007, 10:19 PM
Hi all!

Panthergirl, I went to the yarn sale at the Stamford store and have to say that I could get most of the yarn online at plces like Little Knits or Webs for the same amount of money as their sale prices (which is probably a big reason for them having to close.) I did score big with patterns. They were on sale for about $2 to $2.50 a pattern and I picked up a bunch.

Nutterknitter -- I love the selection at Knitting Central but I don't get there often cause I'm closer to A Stitch in Time in Bethel and Nancy O's in Ridgefield. Have you ever been to Nancy's? She has a small shop but also a great selection. Although she won't carry Malabrigo and thinks that the Manos is just as soft. In that way, she is a philistine.

We are pretty lucky with so many yarn stores in the state! I haven't hit any of the Westchester stores yet. I heard there are stores in Bedford and Katonah -- Panther, ever been to them?

Best to all,
Susan

Jeremy
03-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Hello all,

I live in Southington, and am a fairly novice knitter. I usually go to Creative Fibers in South Windsor, although I've been to the Wool Connection, Mystic Yarns, the place in Southbury, and several others around the state.

For a nice day trip (drive up for lunch and shopping), hubby and I drive up to Webs in Northampton, MA.

ACMoore is close by too, but their selection is mostly acrylic, or wool-acrylic blends. I do tend to be attracted to more expensive yarns, such as Colinette.

Lisa

The Yarn Barn in Woodbridge is very good and right off the Merrit, just over the border from New Haven. Also Saybrook Yarn is great on Main St. in Old Saybrook. I live in Norwich

editorgrrl
03-14-2007, 11:25 AM
S'nB New Haven (Connecticut) meets tour times a week in New Haven, North Haven, and Woodbridge:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SnB_NewHaven
http://knitting.meetup.com/909

The Monday afternoon meeting in Woodbridge is at the Starbucks next to Yarn Barn -- and you can get 25% off yarn if you bring your Starbucks receipt over to Yarn Barn after S'nB.

The front page of our Yahoo group has links to all the other groups I know about in Connecticut.

Karen

zkimom
03-14-2007, 10:02 PM
The front page of our Yahoo group has links to all the other groups I know about in Connecticut.

Karen

Thanks for that info, Karen!

I may try and hook up with the group that meets in Bethel.

Happy knitting!

Susan

CTbarb
04-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Hi,

I'm in Monroe. (my husband is from New Canaan; my IL's still live there, Linda. We actually do know a Linda in New Canaan) I just took my first knitting class a few nights ago at All About Art in Monroe. I was supposed to wait until next month for the next Beginner class to finish my project, but I finished my scarf overnight and learned how to bind it off here. Now I've also taught myself how to cast on here, and have started another scarf. This is a great website for learning!

I will have to check out the yarn shop in Bethel. The other women in my knitting class were actually discussing the Southbury yarn shop, and how rude the owner is there, so I won't be going there. She must be quite a character, lol. I did go to Stratford yesterday, there is a really nice shop there. I bought $60.00 of yarn, really soft and pretty. That should make 4 scarves.

mrs.hre
05-25-2007, 04:03 PM
ct here anyone out there in the area?:knitting:

Jeremy
05-25-2007, 05:19 PM
Hi, I'm here.

mrs.hre
05-25-2007, 09:10 PM
where in ct are you

roxtarchic
06-01-2007, 03:55 PM
we just moved to westchester.. .north salem... and i've YET to make it to a shop...

i've heard about the one in katona... now i'm all excited about the one in ridgefield (we're RIGHT near there)... and if you've got any other suggestions (zikmom?) i'd LOOOVE to hear em!

thanks
col

editorgrrl
06-04-2007, 05:19 PM
There are lots of replies in the Connecticut thread you started back on 01-01-2007: http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=50865.

If you're looking for a knitting group, I link to all the ones I know of on the front page of the S'nB New Haven Yahoo Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SnB_NewHaven.

editorgrrl
06-04-2007, 05:22 PM
I heard that Selma's in Southbury is going out of business:

Selma's Yarns & Needleworks
493 Heritage Rd., Suite 4C
Southbury, CT 06488

(800) 654-4341 Phone
(203) 264-4838 CT
http://www.selmasyarns.com

lemur
06-09-2007, 09:00 PM
Any idea if they will be having a sale? I didn't see anything on their web site.

Thanks.

Lisa

editorgrrl
06-09-2007, 10:00 PM
All I know is that someone posted the following to the S'nB New Haven Yahoo Group on June 1:

Selma's in Southbury is closing after 11 years. I just got the notice in the
mail the other day. Sale starts today and she will be closing at the end of
the month.

PSEINFO
06-14-2007, 12:42 AM
Hi Everyone!
I just found this forum and joined today! My name is Diane and I live in Ledyard CT (minutes from Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun). I am so new at knitting that I hesitate to even call myself a novice....baby novice is more like it!
I look forward to getting to know everyone!

Diane

zkimom
06-16-2007, 10:14 AM
Hi Diane,

Welcome to this great forum!

There is so much information on this site that you can go from baby novice to avid knitter in no time.

The CT folder is a little on the quiet side for the most part -- we all seem to be pretty spread out over the state. I try and check in every now and then, but mostly I read the other forums.

Someday I hope to have the time to plan knitting expeditions all over our Nutmeg State but for now, I just about manage to make to my LYS in Bethel or the one in Ridgefield.

It's good to hear from another Nutmeg knitter!

Happy knitting!

Best,
Susan

Feef
07-07-2007, 05:11 PM
I'm in Fairfield, and learned to use dpn's at Janet Kemp's shop in Stratford, via private lesson. She's fairly expensive, so I browse there, decide what kinds of yarns I like, then shop online. However, because I'm a nice person, I always feel obligated to buy some yarn while I'm there. Sock yarn does nicely. LOL

Here's the link to her site:

http://www.janetkemp.com/

editorgrrl
08-16-2007, 09:01 PM
For those of you on Ravelry (it's still in beta testing, but will go live soon), there's a group for Nutmeg Knitters: http://www.ravelry.com/groups/nutmeg-knitters.

Karen

PS. I link to all the Connecticut knitting/crochet/craft groups I know of on the front page of the S'nB New Haven Yahoo Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SnB_NewHaven

KarenHope
08-31-2007, 03:30 PM
I am from Ellington Ct. I go to Agway Too for all my yarn goods. They are great there. I also go to Creative Fibers in Windsor.

Sahmlocke
09-04-2007, 04:39 PM
AGWAY?
What? i thought that was lumber/grain for animals?

CTbarb
09-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Maybe her Agway has a crafty section? They differ from store to store.

Feef, I have been to Janet Kemps store, they are very nice there. I have also heard there is a nice knitting shop in downtown Fairfield? I was wondering about that.

kbachman92306
09-22-2007, 09:59 PM
Hello everyone.
I'm in Fairfield County...glad to see other CT knitters here.
I'm new to this forum thing...

Gray
09-30-2007, 03:53 PM
Ct Knitter Here.
The Fairfield shop is Knotty Girl
http://www.knottygirlknits.com/index.html

Decent prices and cozy but it is easy to miss if you are driving. North bound on US 1 it's on the right side towards the end of a brick row shop front with ample parking in back around the corner.

Lintu
10-04-2007, 03:36 PM
I shop at Janet Kemp's since we just moved to Stratford. Like others have said, it's pricey, but the people there are really nice. I got some nice wool for a felted bag last weekend.

CTbarb
10-19-2007, 12:16 PM
Thanks so much for the link and info, Gray!!

OMG, I just clicked the link and they are closing December 1st. In the meantime they are having big sales, though.

editorgrrl
11-01-2007, 07:38 PM
For those of you on Ravelry, there's a very active group called "Nutmeg Knitters": http://www.ravelry.com/groups/nutmeg-knitters