PDA

View Full Version : OT: Ok all you committed weight loss people!

nonny2t
01-02-2007, 10:18 AM
The holidays are over and I know several of you want to get started on this so let's do it. I know someone was willing to set something up we can check in with etc. and not be bothering the knitting site.

I have started already. I cleaned out the pantry and fridge, went to the store and bought all good healthy stuff, ate a good breakfast of yogurt, fruit and a boiled egg, did a workout on the treadmill this morning and I am ready to get at it!

Let's hear from others that are wanting to lose weight and be serious about it this year!

Faye

Jessica
01-02-2007, 10:26 AM
Im in! :cheering: I've been working on losing wieght and eating more healthy for a while. Since I know losing all my wieght in the winter months almost never happens, I would like to maintain or possibly lose 5 lbs in the next couple months till it gets warmer. Then its really on :twisted:

Chel
01-02-2007, 10:36 AM
I'm in!!! :cheering:

I can set up a board and stuff this evening if everyone can wait until I get off work...

Debbie
01-02-2007, 11:42 AM
check out the fit knitters in the blot forum
http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2214&sid=01a68b301dc1f5ba90715480cb3478a3

CityKnitter
01-02-2007, 11:46 AM
I'm in!

I had lost about 30 lbs. 3 years ago and kept it off really well, until about a year ago when I spent a week in Memphis. (I don't know how ANYONE keeps their weight down living in Memphis. Holy smokes!) Then I was pretty good, just about 5-10 lbs. over my low, until I got married in June. Then all hell broke loose.

Now I want to lose 20 lbs.

SO, I started my healthy eating plan after Christmas (Weight Watchers), and DH and I (re)joined the gym on Friday. I've already gone to the gym twice and then yesterday we REALLY kicked it up with a 6.2 mile 1200' hike in the Santa Monica Mountains. (Now I can't move.)

Anyway, glad to know I'm in a community with people I can support/be supported by!

WOOHOO go US!

jodstr2
01-02-2007, 11:50 AM
I'm in. I want to lose and keep 45 pounds off before the end of the year. lofty goal, yes. but I'm not getting any younger or lighter, and my health is suffering because of my weight.

CarmenIbanez
01-02-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm definitely in. I started last January and I lost 45 pounds. I stopped in summer and I have maintained my weight since them except maybe 5 lbs or so. But I still have 20-25 pounds to lose and so I am starting again! Yippee. Should only take me about 5 - 6 weeks. :cheering:

Stiney
01-02-2007, 01:02 PM
I'm in. I want to go to the gym, but I'm recovering from a cold.

The logical part of me says that not only will I be fine, but I'll feel better because exercise is great for feeling better when you have a cold, but the lazy part of me is all "Waaah, I have a stuffed nose," so we'll see who wins.

The gym is across from my office, which makes it easy to go after work, if I can pull myself together enough at the end of the day.

nonny2t
01-02-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm in!

I had lost about 30 lbs. 3 years ago and kept it off really well, until about a year ago when I spent a week in Memphis. (I don't know how ANYONE keeps their weight down living in Memphis. Holy smokes!) Then I was pretty good, just about 5-10 lbs. over my low, until I got married in June. Then all hell broke loose.

Now I want to lose 20 lbs.

SO, I started my healthy eating plan after Christmas (Weight Watchers), and DH and I (re)joined the gym on Friday. I've already gone to the gym twice and then yesterday we REALLY kicked it up with a 6.2 mile 1200' hike in the Santa Monica Mountains. (Now I can't move.)

Anyway, glad to know I'm in a community with people I can support/be supported by!

WOOHOO go US!

Notice where I live? I have a bbq place ACROSS THE STREET! Good for you going to WW. It is a great program and healthy for you too, not kooky.

You HAVE to try this pizza from Lean Cuisine. It is spectacular and like 200 calories. Brick Oven Style Pizza/Gourmet Mushroom. It says it is 6 WW points.

Chel: That would be great if you could get us a board set up. I belong to a weight loss website and have for several years, but it would be nice to be with the knitters too!

LET'S DO THIS GIRLS!

projectgal
01-02-2007, 01:30 PM
Started South Beach this morning. My husband started with me; I think it will help with both of us eating the same things. Exercise will start sometime next week when the kiddos are back at school in the mornings.

My three year old woke with a stomach virus this morning, so food is really the last thing I want! :ick:

Although I do want to lose weight, my big issue is getting my blood sugar under control. If I can get my blood sugar back to normal levels, it should help with the cravings and therefore weight loss. I don't have diabetes yet, but if I don't get this under control, it could get ugly.

It's good to know there are others out there working on their health too! Shall we just join the "Fit Knitters" already on the blog threads?

losnana
01-02-2007, 01:34 PM
Chel, that would be GREAT. I weighed this morning -212.5. GROSS!!! i want ot lose about 50 lbs. I have several books for various low carb type diets: South Beach, Sugar-Busters, Carbohydrate Addict, etc. They all are very similar. Cut out s :cheering: :happydance: :muah: ugar, processed flour and processed food. Heavy on protein, good fats and good carbs after the initial phase.

Also, some say you should NOT weigh every day. Carbohydrate Addicts says that you should keep a chart, weighing every day at the same time and in the same type clothes. then at the end of each week you average that week's weights. this gives you the average weight for the week. You then compare the week's average with the average from the week before. This allows for variations from day to day. Good luck to us all. :yay:

HamburgKnitter
01-02-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm a total nutrition freak. I love to cook, and I'm vegetarian. Luckily I never have bad weight issues, although I could stand to lose a couple of pounds right now. So I will not only join in, but I'll also cheer you on! :cheering:

:grphug:

If anybody wants to cut down on fat and would like some good vegetarian recipes, I'd be happy to provide them.

Chel
01-02-2007, 02:36 PM
This is great!!! The reasons most people FAIL at weight loss is LACK OF SUPPORT and LACK OF ACCOUNTABILITY.

I can admit when I fall off the wagon if you guys can give me a hand climbing back on!

As far as joining the other group, I wouldn't mind doing that also, but for the most part I like the intimacy of hanging out with a group I "know". Maybe some would feel more comfortable in a small group? :shrug:

All I know is I am 100% on board with this, and look forward to a long reductive friendship. :teehee:

madametj
01-02-2007, 02:40 PM
thought u guys might be interested in checking your BMI (http://www.seventeen.com/health/bmi/spc/0,,665141_665142,00.html)

wont, post mine here cuz well, i'm 16 and a little on the skinney side, so mine would probably do nothing but discourage some of u :pout:

CityKnitter
01-02-2007, 02:54 PM
Notice where I live? I have a bbq place ACROSS THE STREET! Good for you going to WW. It is a great program and healthy for you too, not kooky.

You HAVE to try this pizza from Lean Cuisine. It is spectacular and like 200 calories. Brick Oven Style Pizza/Gourmet Mushroom. It says it is 6 WW points.

I don't know how you do it!! When I first got to Memphis, I HAD TO have something totally Southern for breakfast, so I chose biscuits and gravy. Little did I know, EVERYTHING is either bbq or fried or served with biscuits and gravy. For instance: The last night I was there, I was feeling really unhealthy, so I ordered grilled fish. Healthy, right?

WRONG. It was grilled fish all right, but it was served on a bed of biscuits and smothered in creole gravy. And I am NOT exagerrating. That's SERIOUSLY what they brought me!!

Oy vey.

Anyway I LOVE WW, that is why I rejoined it. I love to cook and do a pretty good job of making meals that are high on veg and low on the bigger-points stuff, thus my general ability to keep it off once it's gone (until the things I mentioned came about). I LOVE the Lean Cuisine pizzas, and keep a stock of lots of LC and Healthy Choice meals in the freezer for lunch on my work-from-home days.

This is exciting.
I wish I could go exercise today because you all have me so motivated, but after yesterday's hike, I seriously cannot move.
Whoops.

BarbRude
01-02-2007, 03:00 PM
count me in, went back to the gym today and started the fat smash diet yesterday.

nonny2t
01-02-2007, 03:26 PM
I don't know how you do it!! When I first got to Memphis, I HAD TO have something totally Southern for breakfast, so I chose biscuits and gravy. Little did I know, EVERYTHING is either bbq or fried or served with biscuits and gravy. For instance: The last night I was there, I was feeling really unhealthy, so I ordered grilled fish. Healthy, right?

WRONG. It was grilled fish all right, but it was served on a bed of biscuits and smothered in creole gravy. And I am NOT exagerrating. That's SERIOUSLY what they brought me!!

Oy vey.

:rofl: :rofl: Yeah, that's the south for you. I am a :shock: yankee interloper down here as I grew up in Northwest Indiana (South Bend area) but these folks down here sure can eat! Luckily, I hate biscuits and gravy, but I do love the bbq here, of course I really like the one across the street!

I am just doing basic good nutrition, keeping a food diary, water, and exercise. One thing I read about a lady who lost over 200 lbs was that every lunch and dinner she had salad before her meal. She said it helped fill her up before she ate.

I am looking forward to getting together with you ladies and helping each other out. Believe me, if there is some diet you want to know about, I have probably been on it or tried it or read about it or something.

Faye

HamaLee
01-02-2007, 03:31 PM
thought u guys might be interested in checking your BMI (http://www.seventeen.com/health/bmi/spc/0,,665141_665142,00.html)

wont, post mine here cuz well, i'm 16 and a little on the skinney side, so mine would probably do nothing but discourage some of u :pout:

BMI is a great general guideline, but don't get too discouraged by it or hold it as gospel truth! It's slightly more reliable than a height/weight chart, but it still has flaws. It's geared toward inactive people of regular or slim build. So if you're a broader build, or you are athletic/muscular in any way, shape, or form--your BMI numbers might surprise you in a bad way. Don't worry about it! Remember to concentrate most on how you feel, how your clothes feel, your energy level, etc.

Just as an example--I'm short (5'4) with a rather broad and muscular build, and I've always been athletic. My BMI according to all those calculators is over 30. Now--I am overweight, definitely. You might even say I'm fat. But I KNOW I'm not "obese" or even anywhere near that territory. I wear a size 10/12 pants, for cripes sake! And I've got an ample bosom. So yes--I'm overweight, but NO I am NOT obese. And yet, according to all those calculators I am very solidly in the "obese" category.

So....grain of salt and all! I say this because there is such positive energy in this thread and I don't want anyone to get disappointed! You all are an inspiration to me as well. :cheering:

Jessica
01-02-2007, 03:41 PM
We should start a club :teehee:

Stiney
01-02-2007, 03:46 PM

BMI is a great general guideline, but don't get too discouraged by it or hold it as gospel truth! It's slightly more reliable than a height/weight chart, but it still has flaws. It's geared toward inactive people of regular or slim build. So if you're a broader build, or you are athletic/muscular in any way, shape, or form--your BMI numbers might surprise you in a bad way. Don't worry about it! Remember to concentrate most on how you feel, how your clothes feel, your energy level, etc.

Just as an example--I'm short (5'4) with a rather broad and muscular build, and I've always been athletic. My BMI according to all those calculators is over 30. Now--I am overweight, definitely. You might even say I'm fat. But I KNOW I'm not "obese" or even anywhere near that territory. I wear a size 10/12 pants, for cripes sake! And I've got an ample bosom. So yes--I'm overweight, but NO I am NOT obese. And yet, according to all those calculators I am very solidly in the "obese" category.

So....grain of salt and all! I say this because there is such positive energy in this thread and I don't want anyone to get disappointed! You all are an inspiration to me as well. :cheering:

WORD. The first time I calculated my BMI I decided it was all a crock of steaming poo because I knew I wasn't obese. And I'm (usually) only overweight based on height/weight charts. (Currently, well, I'm a little overweight, but that's why I'm here.)

I'm an inch taller than you, similar build. The nurses at doctor's offices always try to weigh me at 120 lbs. Flattering, but it's anywhere from 25 lbs (at my skinniest) to 50 lbs off. I aim for 145-150 lbs, because I feel good at that weight, my clothes fit well, and I'm happy with how I look.

CarmenIbanez
01-02-2007, 03:46 PM
There are LOTS of online programs and programs you can download for free where you can log your food. Most of them will calculate for you, how many calories, or fat or carbs you've had. I am doing the medifast diet, so I use their free online tool, mymedifast.com. But there are a ton of programs. I find it useful because most of them have all the food in them, with all the nutritional info, including fast food and restaurant menus. I find that cheating is not what does me in, but underestimating how much I am actually eating. Here is how I do it. I log in each morning and I put in what I am going to eat for the day. Then either that night, or the next morning, I make any adjustments (add something that I hadn't accounted for, or take off something I didn't eat. Then each week I log my weight. When I first started doing it, I was SHOCKED at how many more calories I was actually eathing than I thought.

In addition to mymedifast, I also really like www.calorieking.com

Jan in CA
01-02-2007, 03:55 PM
I am going to lose some weight again, too. I lost a lot a few years ago through WW, but 10 or so have creeped back on. :doh:

I don't want to spend the money on WW right now as money is tight, but I have used Fitday (http://www.fitday.com/) before and it was really helpful! I found that I wasn't getting enough magnesium and a few other nutrients that I am able to correct with supplements. I'm thinking of getting the computer software so I can create meals that are easy to just add since we tend to have similar things sometimes..like salmon/baked potato/green beans.

Right now sugar is my nemesis. I get addicted to it and crave it when I know I should be eating (or not eating) something else. Once I break the cycle it will be fine, but till then.... :wall:

HamaLee
01-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Another great site is SparkPeople (www.sparkpeople.com)
It's free, similar deal to the others. Great way track your food, exercise habits, journal, etc all in one place. It'll give you meal suggestions and recipes or you can input your own. It'll remind you when to exercise and also encourage you to start healthy habits and other things to check off. You can also make your own personal "SparkPage." And the whole "earning points/trophies" thing is a cute little motivator. They've got forums as well but I never really liked them...not well organized.

nonny2t
01-03-2007, 08:27 AM
I am the queen of weight loss site stuff so here are some that will be helpful.

http://www.craftmax.com/calories/ (a fat and calorie counter)

http://www.3fatchicks.com (the absolute top in weight loss forum and info and it is free. I have been a member quite awhile)

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Index.html (helps you keep track of all sorts of your weight loss stuff)

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ (this is a mapquest style pedometer if you are a walker or runner you can track from your house and see the distance you walk, run etc)

You also have Ediets.com, which is great if you don't know which program you want to use. If you join there is a monthly fee, but you can get a profile for free and it will suggest which program is best for you according to how you eat and what you eat etc.

Yahoo, MSN, etc all have buddy type programs you can be a part of as does WW. I still think 3fatchicks is superior to them all because there are forum threads for a bazillion types of groups from weight loss surgery to south beachers, wwers to threads according to age, lbs over weight, college groups, women or men only etc. Check it out.

Oh and Carmen, LOOVVEEEE your avatar. He is "our" race car driver. In fact, my husband used to work with his aunt when we still lived in Indiana.

faye

Chel
01-03-2007, 09:42 AM
Well, I started a board-look for it to change a lot over the next few days as I add graphics and make it a bit homey.

:) Opinions and ideas welcome!!!!!

http://p068.ezboard.com/bnarrowingknitters

nonny2t
01-03-2007, 09:48 AM
That's terrific Chel. Thanks for all the work!

itsjustmeghan
01-03-2007, 10:16 AM
i'm in. i'm not doing it for weight as much (though it would be nice). i just want to feel good again. i've been a little heavy since before i had the baby, and while the breastfeeding sucked all my weight off, i've gradually been gaining it back again.
right now my goal is going to be to work out, feel better, and watch my sugar/processed foods intake. i feel SO much better emotionally when my blood sugar is kept at a normal level. the best i felt was when i was on atkins because my blood sugar wasn't spiking and crashing all the time. i don't want to go back on that, though, because it's too restrictive, and you have to become obsessed with it to have it work. i can't really cut calories too much until ds weans, so i'll just choose calories that are better for me.

tip for those dieting...loose the scale. i threw mine out a few years ago, and i don't want one back in my home ever again. my day was all dependent on what number popped up that morning. if it was low, i had a good day, if it was higher, i freaked all day. now i go by how i feel and how my clothes fit because honestly, a number won't tell you how healthy you are. same thing with the BMI. according to both i was "obese" for my height, and i'm nowhere near that. i know "big boned" is a saying they used to use, but i think it's true. i've always weighted heavier then most people would think. and i know my hips will never be in a size 6. the bones are just too wide. but if i could be comfy in some size 10s, i'd be a happy camper!

i joined the gym at work a few weeks ago, but haven't gone because of the holidays. i brought lots of fruits and nuts and veggies to snack on, and i'm going to drink lots of water!
it'll happen! hooray!

i'm all about support groups when making changes like this!
let the healthy lifestyles begin! :cheering: :happydance:

Kaydee
01-03-2007, 10:28 AM
I'm with you all. I need to commit myself to lose some weight in 07'. I know there was another thread that I read a bunch of you saying you were going to do the South Beach Diet. I'm just curious about it, if anyone is doing it or has done it before. If you like it, think it works, or is there something better you like to do? I really need to stick to a plan being on a diet so I'm trying to figure out some options. Thanks all! :muah:

Krystal
01-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Yay, this seems to be right up my alley, knitters and dieters in one forum.

I am hoping to drop 20 - 40 lbs by October. I want to look good on my Wedding day, (oct 6th)

I do maintenance at work, and I most definately get enough excersize at work. I clocked myself at walking around 4 miles a day, and we have stairs that I am running up and down non stop. I have already dropped some inches in my arms and waist from all this work.

My goal is to stop snacking. I am a snack whore, especially if I am bored. My meal routines are great, it's just between 4pm and 10pm when the snacks come out.

Most of my snacking stems from boredom, or hobbies that allow me to eat at the same time... So my goal is to knit. Knit and knit and knit. When I knit, I can't snack. I don't want food on my WIP... and I am a messy eater.

good luck everyone! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Kaydee
01-03-2007, 11:06 AM
I am a snack whore, especially if I am bored.

:roflhard: :roflhard:
That's a good way to put it...I'd have to say I am too.

janelanespaintbrush
01-03-2007, 12:10 PM

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to eat between meals. I'm a "grazer" and wouldn't be happy any other way. If I don't eat every 3 or 4 hours I get really hungry, irritable and ornery. If I have to go for a long time without food, I usually end up gorging myself to alleviate my hunger, and then I feel bloated from having eaten too much. Not a pleasant feeling. I always try to bring snacks with me wherever I go to keep that from happening.

I was a pretty stable weight until a few years ago when I got married -- I went from eating when I felt like it to eating 3 meals a day (plus when I felt like it). I found myself eating past saiety at meals because DH kept giving me the same size portions that he gave himself (he's 6'2" and I'm under 5') and I felt like I should "clean my plate." Funny thing but my pants started getting tighter during that period. These days if he gives me too much, I usually remove the extra food from my plate before starting so when I'm done, I can still brag about having done "a good job" as a member of the "clean plate club." :teehee: I'm still 4 or 5 pounds more than I was when we got married, but I'm an appropriate weight for my height so it doesn't bother me too much. I sort of wish I could get back into my old pants, though. My goal is to start exercising regularly again. If my pants start fitting better, that'll be a bonus.

Webigail
01-03-2007, 12:12 PM
I'm in. I got on the treadmill for an hour, ate a light breakfast. I needed to come here to remind me that I'm not in this alone :muah:

miccisue
01-03-2007, 01:32 PM
OK guys, I'm in.....the only problem is that I'm scared I won't be able to do it.

I lost a lot of weight about 4 years ago, but some of it has crept back on. My big problem is that calorie counting alone doesn't seem to work for me....don't know why, but I have to work out, and work out HARD. I was doing weights for an hour and Nordictracking for 45 minutes when I lost my weight before. Aerobics, walking, etc. weren't enough. Here's my HUGE dilemma.....right now I'm fighting plantar fascitis in both feet. I've got inserts in my shoes, but basically have been told to stay off my feet as much as possible. Since I work 11 hour days, and a lot of that time is on my feet, when I get home, I need to sit and elevate them.

So, I'll do my best, but don't know how good it will be. :verysad:

Webigail
01-03-2007, 01:54 PM
right now I'm fighting plantar fascitis in both feet. I've got inserts in my shoes, but basically have been told to stay off my feet as much as possible.

I am struggling with the same problem. I went from being underweight, to having pain in both feet (PF), no energy and nothing to wear.

I know it's tough, but have you considered working out BEFORE you go to work? I was going to wait until DH comes home to work out, but by then I'm exhausted. It was rough getting up this morning, but I did and felt great after my work out.

You can do it!!! Please, don't give up before you begin.

miccisue
01-03-2007, 02:49 PM
right now I'm fighting plantar fascitis in both feet. I've got inserts in my shoes, but basically have been told to stay off my feet as much as possible.

I am struggling with the same problem. I went from being underweight, to having pain in both feet (PF), no energy and nothing to wear.

I know it's tough, but have you considered working out BEFORE you go to work? I was going to wait until DH comes home to work out, but by then I'm exhausted. It was rough getting up this morning, but I did and felt great after my work out.

Oh, I'm going to exercise - I've got an exercise bike at home that I'm going to use - but there's no way I can do the kind of hardcore stuff that was so successful before, at least not for a while. I'm also taking an anti-inflammatory, and will see the doc in another month, so who knows what will happen between now and then? My husband is amazed that I have to work so hard to drop weight.....he walks a couple of miles a day and can drop weight with no problem. He says my body is just too efficient at storing calories, and I have to work doubly hard to make it let go. That was great in caveman times, but now it bites. LOL!!!!

Stiney
01-03-2007, 02:57 PM
mcissue, that's typical for men and women. In general, men have a MUCH easier time dropping weight than women. Stinks, don't it?

Most people DO need a combination of healthy eating and exercise to drop weight. And diets usually don't work because people go back to their old eating habits once they've dropped the weight.

I don't have a lot to lose, so I'm using the food pyramid (http://www.mypyramid.gov) as a guide for what to eat. (Thanks for the link, Shandeh!) I like it because it makes sense to me about what is healthy and isn't healthy, and it doesn't demonize carbs the way Atkins and some other diets have been doing lately. I will never believe carbs are bad--refined sugars, hell yes, even refined flour is pretty bad, but carbs? No way. Also, it has lots of tips and a tracker that helps you plan what to eat ahead of time. It also has helpful charts that tell you what constitutes a cup of vegetables or an ounce of meat.

My dinner last night was half a Cornish Game Hen, which is 4 oz of meat/beans. I need to eat 5.5 (I got some more protein from peanut butter/nutella toast, which was my dessert.) 1 egg=1 oz, etc.

miccisue
01-03-2007, 03:52 PM

Well, the question is not really when I work out as much as it is giving my feet a chance to heal. Whether I exercise before or after work, it still puts me on my feet longer than I should be - that was my point. I've talked to people (besides the doc) who have suffered from this, and they all say the best thing you can do is be off your feet as much as possible. Every time you're on them, you are just straining the ligament more.

janelanespaintbrush
01-03-2007, 04:08 PM
Well, the question is not really when I work out as much as it is giving my feet a chance to heal. Whether I exercise before or after work, it still puts me on my feet longer than I should be - that was my point. I've talked to people (besides the doc) who have suffered from this, and they all say the best thing you can do is be off your feet as much as possible. Every time you're on them, you are just straining the ligament more.

You could try concentrating on working your upper body and "core" for now, in ways that don't involve standing. I think there are actually exercises designed for seniors where the whole workout is done sitting in a chair. Might be something to look into. At least it'll keep you moving.

brownishcoat
01-03-2007, 04:25 PM
There used to be a PBS show called "Sit and Be Fit" that was done sitting down. I don't know if it is still in production, but it would be a good place to start.

Chel
01-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Well frankly I have a lot to lose. And I want to do it in a healthy way, but more importantly I want to DO IT. I'm motivated and I have the board set up for all who are interested...

:hug: Come on!!!

Webigail
01-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Well frankly I have a lot to lose. And I want to do it in a healthy way, but more importantly I want to DO IT. I'm motivated and I have the board set up for all who are interested...

:hug: Come on!!!
What board? I'm interested.

brownishcoat
01-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Well, I started a board-look for it to change a lot over the next few days as I add graphics and make it a bit homey.

:) Opinions and ideas welcome!!!!!

http://p068.ezboard.com/bnarrowingknitters

She means this one. :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Krystal
01-03-2007, 06:06 PM

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to eat between meals. I'm a "grazer" and wouldn't be happy any other way. If I don't eat every 3 or 4 hours I get really hungry, irritable and ornery. If I have to go for a long time without food, I usually end up gorging myself to alleviate my hunger, and then I feel bloated from having eaten too much. Not a pleasant feeling. I always try to bring snacks with me wherever I go to keep that from happening.

I wasn't refering to the healthy snack between meals. I was talking about my 6 hours snack athon of chips and ice cream and cookies and non stop snacking I do after work before bed. I too need a snack between meals.

I start my day at 5:30 am with a bowl of oatmeal, and by the time I get my break at 9:30 I am STARVING... so a granola bar and a chocolate milk do me fine. and then lunch at 12:30, and 2:30 I have another snack until dinner... But after dinner is when I am a snack whore. I will even make up **** just to munch. But I noticed that on days when I knit from right after dinner to bed time, I don't eat. I sometimes even skip dessert coz I get so engrossed in my knitting. So hopefully that will help me curb the calories.

Cat Gal
04-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Hi All!

I noticed your thread re weight loss and thought I might provide a bit of an offer to anyone interested. I am currently on the NutriSystem program and they have an offer in which they will provide a new member $30 off their first order. They provide food for 28 days at a time with the initial order containing a full week's worth of food at no extra charge. Even without exercising (which is not a good thing on my part!), I have lost weight on their program.

If you are interested, please send me a PM with your e-mail addy (which I will not use inappropriately!) and I will then forward your e-mail addy to NutriSystem (and they don't play games with your addy, either!). They will then send you a code to use for $30 off when placing your first order. Be aware that the "coupon" is only good for 30 days.

Even if no one is interested in this offer, I wish you all the best in your weight loss endeavors. Sure wish those icky pounds would drop off as easily as they were gained!!

Mary

kashadilla
04-05-2007, 04:23 PM
I'm on weight watchers right now, my mom lost 45 pounds on it, and my step dad lost 55! I'm also a snacker, so I've been trying to find things that I can snack on that are healthy.
It can be hard to stay motivated, so what I am doing, is I'm knitting starky (which will be challenging for me, and I've always loved it and wanted to knit it) but I'm making it in the size I would like to be when I reach my weight-loss goal. I'm going to hang it somewhere I'll see it everyday.

bobi1218
04-05-2007, 04:45 PM
Can I be a part of this? I need to lose about 20 lbs of post-baby weight. Yeah, yeah, lets not comment that my baby is almost 11 months old...

DH is putting a bit of weight around the middle, too, so we've been trying to eat a bit healthier all around. No more soda, beer only on special occasions, limiting sweets, that sort of thing. I need to get better on the exercise end of things, too, but previously mentioned baby still hasn't slept through the night, so I'm a bit tired...

MoniDew
04-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Can I join, too?

Lately, I have been so sedantary, recovering from a dislocated hip. My hip is better, but I did not start exercising immediately, as I should have. I'm a wuss, and I don't like pain. So I didn't get out and walk (it was cold, I hurt, blah, blah, blah) I just sat on my cute little derrier until it weighed 50lbs more than it should!

My daughter caught on that it hurt to walk, so the last couple of days, she comes with me and MAKES me walk! She chose a walking trail that has a few hilly spots, and she has to help me up those. And she - on purpose - makes me go further than I think I can. I made it, but just barely. Last time, my husband came with us, and since both of them are in good shape, they went a lot further. I barely made it back at all! It took her and my husband both to DRAG me back to where we started! I could barely walk the next day! YIKES!

Now, after decades of helping other people lose weight, I'm the one who needs help. HELP! My name is Monica, I'm a nutritionist, and I'm fat and out of shape!
________
FORD TAURUS (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Taurus)

projectgal
04-05-2007, 09:55 PM
I'm with you all. I need to commit myself to lose some weight in 07'. I know there was another thread that I read a bunch of you saying you were going to do the South Beach Diet. I'm just curious about it, if anyone is doing it or has done it before. If you like it, think it works, or is there something better you like to do? I really need to stick to a plan being on a diet so I'm trying to figure out some options. Thanks all!

I started South Beach in January and so far I've lost about 20 pounds. The first two weeks were tough and restrictive, but now I feel like I'm just eating like I should have a long time ago. The weight loss has slowed down because although I've been eating items on the plan, I've not been eating enough veggies, enough water, eating breakfast like I should, etc. The good news is I haven't gained weight!!

I really like the South Beach plan because it doesn't require counting (points, calories, etc.) and I feel like I can generally find something to eat even if we're out. My husband and even a few friends are also doing the same diet, and it helps to have a support group. I think it is one of the healthy options out there.

jjminarcik
04-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Hi all,

I must have missed this thread the first time around. . . I had gained a bit of weight over the last year so starting Jan. 2 I started doing the Slim-Fast diet. It had been successful for me before, so I was hoping it would be again. The first 2 weeks were soooo tough! :wall: :wall: But I stuck with it and it worked!!!!! I have lost 15 lbs! My major motivation was wanting to fit into a certain dress to wear to a wedding next month - and I did it! I am still on the diet, but can be a little more relaxed with it. I get my workouts by walking my dog and doing yoga once a week. It CAN be done! Stick with whatever diet you choose! And having a great support system makes it much easier!

Good luck!!! :muah: :muah: