PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly Very Relaxing

Knitting_Guy
01-02-2007, 09:04 PM
With a lot of help from the fine people here, now that I have:

1. Accepted the fact that I am just learning therefore my knitting isn't going to be perfect.

2. Learned to spot my mistakes (well, most of them) as I am making them and thus preventing them.

3. Stopped stressing over the mistakes I do make and just regard fixing them as a part of the knitting process

I'm suddenly finding knitting to be very relaxing. I'm parked for the night in a truckstop in Southern Florida listening to some tunes on XM Radio and knitting away on my scarf. It's a nice way to relax and let the stresses of the day melt away. Very calming.

Now I'm glad I decided to give it a try.

hunterjenn
01-02-2007, 09:10 PM
:cheering: Yay! Congratulations!

Yoooou aaaaare noooow one of uuuuuusssss!! :rofl:

madametj
01-02-2007, 09:11 PM
8) cool. glad to know u've discovered My *Almost* Free Therapy aka Knitting :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
01-02-2007, 09:24 PM
LOL thanks. It IS cheaper than therapy :roflhard:

Ok, computer break is over. Back to knitting.

Jan in CA
01-02-2007, 09:36 PM
Yeah! :cheering: Good for you!

auburnchick
01-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Congrats, Mason! We all need to find something to do to relieve stress!

I take my knitting to my children's soccer games (when I don't have to study). The kids always accuse me of not watching, but I only knit before the game starts and at halftime. Well, okay, maybe I sneak in a stitch or two during throw-ins. :rofl:

Aquaria
01-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Yay! Way to go :cheering:
I'm also a knitting beginner and I'm also trying to get the hang of it!
:cheering: cheers for both of us! :cheering:

Ingrid
01-02-2007, 09:54 PM
I'd love to see a study of how brain chemistry changes when one sits and knits--I'd bet anything that there is a definite change.

dustinac
01-02-2007, 10:01 PM
:happydance: thats wonderful!! It really is more relaxing when you don't worry so much about it... if I'm worried or stressed it shows in my knitting until I calm down... one part will be really tight the other will be lose

snowbear
01-02-2007, 10:11 PM
:hug: congrats! I'm so glad you relaxed and just enjoyed it. It can get frustrating, but remember, its just 2 sticks & some string, hehehehe. Believe me, I wish I was knitting while my daughter went through the teenage yrs... I wouldn't have 1/2 the grey I do!

If you're ever in KC, shout, I'll show you some nice lys!

Bear Hugs

redwitch
01-03-2007, 05:46 AM
Yes good on you. I'm sad to say that your first item or two may be mostly a learning process but it's great to hear that you are paying attention to the knitting! All I can say is try to understand how the wool actually sits in the different stitches, how a purl stitch works and is different to a knit stitch, how to fix mistakes etc, and work on your tension - not too tight, not too loose. Once you have mastered this with both knit and purl stitches you will be able to make almost every other stitch/technique. You'll probably need the knittinghelp videos to show the exact specifics on some but once you have seen them, you'll be able to do them easily.

Once you know how to knit and purl, I think that EVERY other technique will be easy after you have done it, say, ten times.

Knit front and back? Cable? Stranded colourwork? Knitting in the round/moving between DPNs? Yarn overs, knit 2 togethers, slip slip knit, knit through back loop etc.? Do it ten times and you'll be sweet. Twenty times more and you'll be getting pretty fluent at it.

I encourage you to make every new project you start include at least one new stitch or method. I have been knitting for about 6 months and consider myself more than intermediate, if not advanced. I can do lace, cable, socks, colorwork, DPNs, magic loop, on 2 circs, knit back and forth, English and Continental, etc. I'm not showing off because this stuff is not hard! You just need to try it, maybe have trouble the first two times, succeed with reference to the video or webpage the next few times, and then you'll have it down. Don't hesitate to try something new when you're comfortable with what you've got. I promise you I found everything easy to figure out after knowing knit and purl, and I had no-one to show me, the internet can tell you about everything. God love Google.

One of my first few projects was a moss stitch scarf (British moss, that's k1 p1, repeat...) - in English style - and by God it taught me to purl well, and to switch between k and p fluently. It looks fab in many novelty yarns as well!

The sole exception to what I just wrote is learning Continental if you knit English, or vice versa. That took a while, mostly on how to moderate my tension (just holding the wool consistently in a way I liked), just like when you first learn to knit at all. But I had the added advantage of knowing how a stitch works, how knit and purl are really the same stitch from different sides, etc.

But that's all in the future... do I remember correctly that you are doing a ribbed scarf? By the time you have done one or two of those your knitting and purling should be fairly even so good choice!

Is that you in the avatar? Are you a trucker? I'm picturing someone at the truckstop noticing a big bearded guy, possibly with a pipe, parked in a huge Mack truck, knitting away, saying knit knit, purl purl, knit knit, perhaps with pink wool, and doing a double take.

Go mate go we need more male knitters so when we show our boyfriends a FO they will say great stitch choice... what gauge did you use? Do you prefer DPNs, 2 circs, or magic loop? Circs for knitting flat? What's the fibre content? How did you block it? Nice colourway...

instead of 'uh huh'.

BTW all a certain boy has passed the test, when I say check it out! My latest masterpiece! he has the manners and good sense to say Wow, cool! even though he doesn't fully understand everything about it the way a knitter does. If I say 'feel that... merino and cashmere' he says ooh, soft. If it's a complicated pattern he nods. 'Neat.'

I don't expect him to be able to discuss details, or even listen to me explain them (maybe in a perfect world) but occasionally, when I show off an FO, to look at it, make a comment (even if he doesn't like it, to offer his opinion in a tactful way) - even if only two words - earns him brownie points. What do you reckon girls?

Sarah

sewinhotmama23
01-03-2007, 05:52 AM
I too find knitting a way to relax, I have a sort of "OCD" about being uptight about my house cleanliness, dealing with 2 kids under 2 years, a husband who wont pick up after himself which only adds to the thing about my house... I picked up knitting, so that I can sit down and still have something to do with my hands... definately something I "Crave" now...kinda funny actually..

BTW, OP, I think its WAY cool that your a trucker AND a man who knits.. wish my DH who is way to stressed all the time would pick it up.. maybe I should show him your ultra manly avatar to prove that manly men are among us!!! :cheering:

MoniDew
01-03-2007, 05:52 AM
I've been knitting for several years now, and have 3 sons (and a daughter.) Every one of my sons, at some point during their boyhoods has asked me to show them how to knit. They wanted to understand how it works. So I've taught each of them how. Too bad it didn't maintain its coolness past high school hazing of other boys. Perhaps as they become secure in their manhoods, they may each pick it up again.
________
Lincoln navicross (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Lincoln_Navicross)

Knitting_Guy
01-03-2007, 08:43 AM
Is that you in the avatar? Are you a trucker? I'm picturing someone at the truckstop noticing a big bearded guy, possibly with a pipe, parked in a huge Mack truck, knitting away, saying knit knit, purl purl, knit knit, perhaps with pink wool, and doing a double take.

Sarah

Yes, that is me in my avatar, and yes I am a trucker (only I drive a Western Star- the Cadillac of big rigs). LOL

I appreciate all of your advice. Consistent tension is probably my biggest problem at the moment, but it'll come in time.

joe_doufu
01-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Mason,
I'm wondering how+where you get online so regularly. Do you get internet access in the truck? I'm not making fun... I've heard that a big rig has practically an apartment inside. Or do you get online at truck stops?

Knitting_Guy
01-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Mason,
I'm wondering how+where you get online so regularly. Do you get internet access in the truck? I'm not making fun... I've heard that a big rig has practically an apartment inside. Or do you get online at truck stops?

I get that question quite often. I've been home since Christmas. I went back out on the road yesterday and home again just for tonight before heading out again for three weeks or so.

But to answer your question, I carry a laptop in my truck and have a Cingular wireless card for internet access. I can pretty much connect anywhere there is a Cingular cellular signal, which is pretty much everywhere.

As for the rig itself, yes they are basically an apartment on wheels (sans bathroom). My rig has a nice big bed (two actually but I only use one), a built in refrigerator, microwave oven, closets, drawers, cabinets, a desk, satellite radio, etc... There's a place for a television but as I don't watch much tv my printer is there. My rig has an on-board generator to supply ac power as well as heat/air conditioning while I'm parked.

It's pretty comfy and the bed is actually bigger than the one here at my house LOL

Here's a pic of my truck:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c50/mason61/IMG_0254.jpg

Cristy
01-03-2007, 06:25 PM
Hey Mason--looking at your truck reminds me of being a kid...My dad drove a truck for 34 years before retiring several years ago. When I was growing up, I used to love to take rides in his truck and as a kid, the movement and sounds of the truck would put me to sleep faster than anything! My mom was a trucker too until I was born (yes, I realize that means I was probably conceived in a sleeper at a truck stop or something! LOL!) and she swears I would fall asleep so fast b/c she drove w/ my dad for most of her pregnancy. My dad's truck (s...there were many) weren't quite as nice as yours now--but I remember his first long-nose pete quite well. I was amazed at the space! Just thought I'd say thanks for posting the picture--It brought back lots of memories!

nadja la claire
01-03-2007, 06:29 PM
:cheering: :cheering: Congratulations Mason :cheering: :cheering: You have entered the Zen of knitting. I learned to relax with my knitting last year while sitting through my DH's chemo and radiation treatments . It saved my sanity and now that he's back in chemo and I'm alot better at my knitting, it's still saving my sanity.

Nadja xxx

Knitting_Guy
01-03-2007, 07:09 PM
You're welcome Cristy. I've owned a couple of Petes but I have to say that the Western Star is far more comfortable.

Nadja, I'm sorry to hear about the chemo thing. My mother has been through it too. I know it's no fun.

Cristy
01-03-2007, 07:10 PM
I bet anything newer is more comfortable! I think the last model he owned was a 92 or so...

Sissy
01-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Mason,
Its nice to hear from you.Dont worry to much,practice is the best thing for you.I used to get so frustrated not being able to fix my mistakes.It got embarassing always running to a knitting friend to fix it........One day it will seem so easy to fix it , you'll be amazed.
Just enjoy the knitting,it will put me to sleep if I dont watch it.Your tension will get better the more you do.
What is your main route you drive?????? Sissy

Knitting_Guy
01-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Thanks Sissy.

I don't have a regular route. I mainly run between WI and the Southern states, but no particular regular route. I just go wherever the stuff needs to go.

mulene
01-03-2007, 09:14 PM
ROFL I have this fabulous picture of you in my head now, Mason, in that giant truck (I don't think we have anything that big in the UK!) with the pink yarn and pipe and the knitters chant! :hug:

Super grats on relaxing into the knitting - you are right the tension will come soon enough =D certainly likely to come faster now that you are relaxing into it =D

Welcome to the wonderful world of knitting, I think its great that you knit and I love that you KIP in your truck! I do it on the London tube on the way in to work and now I'll think of you in your truck doing it too :teehee:

I've been really enjoying reading your posts; your frustration, your "aha" moments, and now that you have moved on to the relaxing stage =D

Stiney
01-03-2007, 09:24 PM
If you ever drive through NY/NJ, wave to the dark gray '07 Camry with the Boston University sticker and NJ plates, wave to me. :teehee:

I'd wave back, but I don't recognize my friends' cars, let alone a truck I've seen a picture of on the internet. :rofl:

Knitting_Guy
01-03-2007, 09:25 PM
LOL Mulene. Then allow me complete the picture for you.

Firstly, at the moment the yarn is red. Now that we have that out of the way LOL. Big hairy trucker, tattoos on both muscular arms, pipe filled with a nice local tobacconist's custom vanilla maple blend, knitting away while listening to Bach or Beethoven on satellite radio.

That should give you a chuckle or two on the tube. LOL

Knitting_Guy
01-03-2007, 09:27 PM
I used to run for an outfit out of Pennsauken, NJ a few years back. Being from FL I knew I was in trouble when I started giving other truckers directions to places in NJ. LOL

I haven't run through the NorthEast area since.

msoebel
01-03-2007, 10:20 PM
You remind me of my brother in law...I just taught him to knit too. It was hard enough...he is a big construction worker with HUGE hands, handling a size 8 pair of bamboo needles...without me laughing right out loud at the poor guy for trying to maneuver those tiny needles and the delicate baby yarn he had picked out for his first project.

He too likes to listen to Bach when he knits. And I can picture him now...flannel shirt, ripped blue jeans, bare feet, sitting on his front porch after work, knitting on a pink baby blanket. :heart:

I just love that guy!

Keep on knittin', er, truckin'.

Misty

Knitting_Guy
01-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Misty;

I can empathize with him as I also have big hands.

I'd like to find some bamboo needles, I think they'd be cool. I could use my chopsticks I suppose LOL

madametj
01-03-2007, 11:04 PM
why dont you have a blog? you should totally have a blog.

a blog is a happy place where you tell us about your knitting journey, and pretty much anything else you have to say.

plus its easier for us to keep up with you that way, rather than tracking down a dozen threads.

-madametj

Knitting_Guy
01-03-2007, 11:09 PM
I'm sorry Madametj, I didn't realize that my posts were a problem.

Actually I do have a blog at Joe User, but it covers a lot of things besides knitting. My knitting thoughts and such are in there, but also my trucking stuff and some other odd thoughts as well.

I'll try to keep my posts here restricted to knitting questions and problems so as to not disrupt the flow of the forum. Thanks for the heads-up.

madametj
01-03-2007, 11:14 PM

Actually I do have a blog at Joe User, but it covers a lot of things besides knitting. My knitting thoughts and such are in there, but also my trucking stuff and some other odd thoughts as well.

I'll try to keep my posts here restricted to knitting questions and problems so as to not disrupt the flow of the forum. Thanks for the heads-up.

~cups hand over mouth~ i did not mean to make your posts sound like a problem (though after reading my post over it sure sounds that way, oops) they're fine trust me. your current posts are good. i was just suggesting a blog on this forum 'cause, i dunno they're just a super convenient.

no need to b sorry dude 8)

brendajos
01-03-2007, 11:18 PM

GAH! Stop! Don't change your posts...they are delightful! Putting them in the blog would make me stop reading too cuz there is WAAAAY too much action over there for me to keep up with! Leave your posts just the way they are!!!!!!!! (is that enough exclamation points?)

madametj
01-03-2007, 11:20 PM

GAH! Stop! Don't change your posts...they are delightful! Putting them in the blog would make me stop reading too cuz there is WAAAAY too much action over there for me to keep up with! Leave your posts just the way they are!!!!!!!! (is that enough exclamation points?)

i think u need about 7 more to make it dramatic :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
01-03-2007, 11:25 PM
My sincerest apologies Madametj. I mistook the gist of your comment. That's the problem with the written word, there is no voice inflection or body language to go along with them.

Please forgive my reaction. I recently had a rather less than favorable experience on another forum where I was basically told that I posted too much. As someone who still remembers the internet when it was text-only and we all communicated via BBS, and has never had a problem on a web forum, I guess I am still a tad sensitive over that incident.

I put great stock in civility whether it be in person or via cyberspace. Again, my apologies for misreading your post.

brendajos
01-03-2007, 11:34 PM
(have you ever seen the number of posts some people around here have?....posting too much is NOT a problem around here...lol)

Knitting_Guy
01-03-2007, 11:38 PM
LOL

Stiney
01-03-2007, 11:42 PM
I think you should have a blog AND post on the general board.

You'd be a hit. :hug:

Knitting_Guy
01-03-2007, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the ego boost cawthraven.

madametj
01-04-2007, 12:23 AM
(have you ever seen the number of posts some people around here have?....posting too much is NOT a problem around here...lol)

lol, you're one to talk: you're sitting right outside the top ten poster list (#11)

five_six
01-04-2007, 12:29 AM

Oh god please don't, it's been an absolute delight following your posts, you make me chuckle all the time and god knows i need more of those scarce moments. The blog threads are WWAAAYYY outta control, too outta control for me to read, so i would never get to hear from you if you didn't post in the other forums. Don't stop :pray:

brendajos
01-04-2007, 12:34 AM

lol, you're one to talk: you're sitting right outside the top ten poster list (#11)

lol i was number 7 and i think most of the people who are ahead of me now joined after I did (some much after....yeah you know who you are... :rofl: )

Knitting_Guy
01-04-2007, 12:42 AM
Where are all of these stats listed?

Edit: never mind, I found it.

Sara
01-04-2007, 01:19 AM
If you ever feel that people are being disrespectful on this board, please send a PM to one of the moderators. We want everyone to have a good time here.
:hug:

Jan in CA
01-04-2007, 01:32 AM
I'm glad that's all straighted out. We love your posts, Mason! We have several men here, but the women far outnumber you so it's nice to have you chatting it up with us! :hug:

DragonTush
01-04-2007, 03:56 AM
Agreed.

I don't post much lately as I have been so super busy with training for a new job (training over now thankfully) but I like to come on and sneak a peek at the boards. I mainly head to the general knitting forum and the watcha' knittin board to skim and admire other peoples work. I really enjoy reading your posts. Its refreshing to see a male point of view.

mulene
01-04-2007, 10:31 AM
Agree with what everyone is saying! Don't you DARE disappear on us Mason! It really is a pleasure to read your posts and its the same for me, I've been tied up with lots of things and suffering a lack of KH.com AND a lack of knitting lately. It really is such a pleasure to read your posts =D

I now have RED yarn in my head for you (I promise no more pink till you tell us so :teehee: ) Don't worry about your blog not being 100% knitting - mine isn't 100% knitting either =D I'd love to read your blog so.. where is it!? :hug:

snowbear
01-04-2007, 10:46 AM
So for those of us who might be interested in your blog...would you give us the addy? please? :woot: I love finding things to read while knitting here...

Hope your day goes well

Knitting_Guy
01-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Well, I doubt that much of my blog would be all that interesting to you folks, but ok. It's masonm.joeuser.com

I don't really understand why, but it does have a decent readership and is consistently ranked in the top 10 on the Joe User site.

One note: I disable anonymous comments on my articles to cut down on rude and obnoxious comments, therefore one can read them but can't comment without registering an account (free).

brendajos
01-04-2007, 12:09 PM
aww well see, I expect the rude obnoxious comments to come from my friends on my blog! :rofl: :teehee: :rofl:

Stiney
01-04-2007, 12:13 PM
Me, too, Brenda.

If I ever updated my LJ, that is.

Knitting_Guy
01-04-2007, 12:21 PM
aww well see, I expect the rude obnoxious comments to come from my friends on my blog! :rofl: :teehee: :rofl:

I get plenty of those too :rofl:

mulene
01-04-2007, 12:26 PM
:roflhard: Brenda! Disabling anon comments is good anyway - I did that on mine after I got a ton of spammy ones

brendajos
01-04-2007, 12:31 PM
:roflhard: Brenda! Disabling anon comments is good anyway - I did that on mine after I got a ton of spammy ones

eh...we'll see. there are bets out there on whether or not i will keep updating it anyway...lol.

dustinac
01-04-2007, 12:38 PM
eh...we'll see. there are bets out there on whether or not i will keep updating it anyway...lol.

yeah if you hadn't posted yesterday I would have won... :rofl:

nadja la claire
01-04-2007, 01:28 PM
You're welcome Cristy. I've owned a couple of Petes but I have to say that the Western Star is far more comfortable.

Nadja, I'm sorry to hear about the chemo thing. My mother has been through it too. I know it's no fun.

Thank you Mason, we're just going one day at a time and enjoy each day together. I sorry about your mom. I hope she's ok. Cancer takes a terrible toll on the whole family.

Nadja xxx

jodstr2
01-04-2007, 02:06 PM
:cheering: hey Mason, congrats on embarking on your knitting journey! :cheering:

Stiney
01-04-2007, 02:12 PM
I just went and read all of your blog posts from "So I need a Hobby" on.

The cycling one is great!

"Then God said to Himself, Who am I kidding, I'll never hear the end of it when she finds out she was just a rib, so He created woman from frankincense and myrrh and a certain je ne sais quoi."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So true!

God arguing with woman:

"But sweetie--"

"But what does what I say matter, I was just created from a rib, who cares what a rib has to say!?"