PDA

View Full Version : Um, was I supposed to be blocking all this stuff?

RuthK
01-04-2007, 11:37 AM
So, I just learned to knit a few months ago and so far, have only finished some simple hats and a scarf. I assumed I didn't need to block them because they weren't fitted, there were no seams, etc.

I was reading some knitting book yesterday, though, and the author made it sound obvious that you should block everything. Is that true? Is it worth it? I'm scared of blocking!

dustinac
01-04-2007, 11:48 AM
:rofl: mom gets on to me for this.. I don't like to block.. I like to finish something and use it... but I think most do block all their knitted items.. esp. if the scarf is lace or has a lot of detail... I will block a sweater or the jumper I made for my daughter just to get it to lay right... but other than that when its off the needles its done... :teehee: I took a scarf in to WV and fingerless gloves mom fell in love with them (they were malabrigo) so I gave them to her.. last night she was blocking the scarf and couldn't believe I wore it without doing that first... :roflhard:

when I do block... I usually just lay it out on a towel.. either on a bed or my table... spray it with water tell its pretty well covered.. stretch it out how I want it and then pin it down...

kri
01-04-2007, 03:11 PM
No one's going to make you block it if you don't want to :)

I only block items that I want to hold a particular shape. However, I wash everything I complete, and lay it to dry at least. I've noticed that washing your completed knitting makes a huge difference in how it looks and feels. It also seems to help set the stitches into place.

suzeeq
01-04-2007, 04:21 PM
No one's going to make you block it if you don't want to :)

I only block items that I want to hold a particular shape. However, I wash everything I complete, and lay it to dry at least. I've noticed that washing your completed knitting makes a huge difference in how it looks and feels. It also seems to help set the stitches into place.

True, it evens them out a lot.

And if you're working with acrylic, it doesn't really block anyway, but washes and dries real well.

sue