PDA

View Full Version : So I blocked something for the first time...

Momma_Jo
01-04-2007, 04:52 PM
I knitted that frosted flowers/snow angel capelet from VK holiday, and decided to block it....I did it the way my knitting-expert coworker suggested - pin the capelet to a sheet (it's was too big for a towel), mist it with water from a spray bottle until it's moist, then fold the sheet with the item in it several times, and then put something heavy on top.

So, I did it all, and I hate to say it, but I don't see ANY difference. :??

The yarn is 100% wool, btw.

Did I not do something, or make a mistake somewhere?

brownishcoat
01-04-2007, 04:58 PM
I wouldn't have folded it. I would have left it flat until it dried. :shrug:

Momma_Jo
01-04-2007, 05:00 PM
I wouldn't have folded it. I would have left it flat until it dried. :shrug:
Ah, but that involves the challenge of keeping the cats away from it for 24 hours... :??

She called that method "French blocking." She's VERY good at knitting (as well as other needlecrafts), so I figured she knew what she was talking about...?

Momma_Jo
01-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Maybe my knitting is so good, it doesn't even need to be blocked. :teehee: :teehee: :teehee:

brownishcoat
01-04-2007, 05:03 PM
That must be it! :thumbsup:

It sounds interesting, I've just never seen anything on that method before.

Could you cover it with another sheet to keep the cats off? :??

mwedzi
01-04-2007, 07:37 PM
you know, i have to say, sometimes my blocking doesn't seem to make much difference either. I think I must also be doing something wrong. I've wet blocked by immersing in water, also tried just spraying with water and pinning in place, and I've blocked with a steam iron. The best results I've gotten were with a steam iron and a cotton blend yarn on some crochet work that was rolling. It really made it lay flat! I've gotten some subtle difference for immersing the piece and letting it dry. But the spritzing method? That doesn't seem to do anything at all for me, either.