PDA

View Full Version : The Proverbial Knitting Bag Search

Mrs. Columbo
01-04-2007, 05:21 PM
I am looking for a knitting bag ..... I went to Birkeland Bros in Vancouver and they had the style I wanted but iwasn't sure about color..... I don't want a tote bag that is high and has no bottom, the kind you carry your library books in or to work ... seen tons of those, handmade and otherwise and they aren't me .... rather I want one that is squarish and has a hard or at least formed bottom and either inside or outside on the ends or sides, pockets where to put your wool .... I saw one on Ebay that a gal makes herself and they look great and pretty close to what I want ... I'd order it if I can't find one locally.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AVRI&viewitem=&item=250069522015&rd=1&rd=1

Anyone have any recommendations for shops that might have something like this? Maybe I need to look outside the box, like in luggage or handbag shops ..... maybe even a diaper bag .... hmmm .... Gucci or Vuitton shop???? Even if I had to order it online I'd do that.

Thanks
Toby

brendajos
01-04-2007, 05:27 PM
well i have fallen in love with my diaperbag website but i also have the problem of bags never being big enough.

did you see the Jordana Paige or Namaste bags?

www.jordanapaige.com

www.namasteneedles.com (don't get sucked into the neeeeedles!) :teehee:

I also like green mountain knitting bags. trying to get one of her sale bags can be nearly impossible though!

www.greenmountainknittingbags.com

Mrs. Columbo
01-04-2007, 05:47 PM
What's your diaperbag website??

www.namasteneedles.com (don't get sucked into the neeeeedles!) :teehee:

*Sigh* .. I was .. .I'm so weak. :oops:

I also like green mountain knitting bags. trying to get one of her sale bags can be nearly impossible though!

Those are fabulous .. I don't see any prices .. did you order from her directly? Which one do you have?

Toby

brendajos
01-04-2007, 06:12 PM
yeah she puts bags up for sale every thursday night (well nearly every...) and they are usually gone by the time i remember to go look to see what is available. The bags are pricy. I paid about $150 for mine, with a pouch for accessories. I have one of the Boho bags. If you see something in a fabric you like you can e-mail her and ask her what she has available. she will give you pricing on what you would like the bag to be. They do take a while though since she makes all the bags by hand herself (except the handles...a friend of hers makes those.)

www.diaperbags.com is the diaper bag site (clever name huh?) ;)

i tol'ja and tol'ja not to look at the needles!

ecuzzacrea
01-04-2007, 06:21 PM
I love my Jordana Paige Knitter's Satchel.

I carry it everywhere!

Mrs. Columbo
01-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Oh I love your wedding pictures!!!! I wanted to put mine into something like that, just didn't know a nice one to use ... I'll be married two years on Monday.

I think I have to order those funkya$$ needles though ..... I'm going to watch tonight and see if the bags go on ...... so the ones she puts up on sale are the ones she has ready to go? I wouldn't care what fabric it was, they're beautiful.

Toby

ChroniclesofYarnia
01-04-2007, 07:23 PM
You might want to try etsy.com, or go over to crafster.org to the bag forum and email people to custom make one for you.

I started sewing just to make a cool knitting bag. I've made a couple so far, and I often wish I would have just ordered a Jordan Paige bag or something. Fabric is just as addictive as yarn, and sits around just as long til you do something with it. ;)

Knitting_Guy
01-04-2007, 08:16 PM
I am going to be ordering this one pretty soon:

http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/073633.html

Mrs. Columbo
01-04-2007, 08:19 PM
Gee, that's bright!! They'll see you coming!!

Too bad they don't ship to Canada .. I saw a couple on there that were great.

Toby

Mulderknitter
01-04-2007, 09:58 PM
I also sew my own bags. It is really cool to do once you get into it. You get to pick out all your own fabric and such. I did post in the buy/sell section some samples of what I make, and though I love to do custom, I have never done a hard bottom bag. Did whip up my own dpn holder in about 2 hrs though! Take a look at my samples in back pages of buy/sell if you want. good luck on the hunt! :heart:

Mrs. Columbo
01-05-2007, 12:34 AM
Has anyone seen this site??

www.knitkit.com? I love the look of these bags ... MY COMPANION.

Toby

five_six
01-05-2007, 12:46 AM
i have a pattern for something incredibly similar if you would like to knit and felt your own... :shrug:

Mrs. Columbo
01-05-2007, 12:50 AM
I went to our nearby quilting/wool shop and they had one on display that was very similar but had a pocket in front ..... they had done a class for it but it was awhile ago and they were out of the pattern, the lady was un helpful and didn't know when they'd have more in and didn't bother to ask anyone else ....

Is felting just washing it and laying it to dry? I gather it must knit up quite big before you wash it? They had a slipper on display there that was before felting and it would have fit Paul Bunyan .. the one after felting would have fit a normal foot. I've never felted but I like the look of these bags. I like something with a formed bottom which most of the tote ones don't have.

I'd love your pattern, thanks Dee! :hug:

Toby

five_six
01-05-2007, 12:56 AM
Here ya go! (http://www.blacksheepbags.com/booga_bag.html)

hope this is of help to you... :muah:

Mrs. Columbo
01-05-2007, 01:00 AM
Thanks Dee! That's super cute!! I haven't heard of the yarn used but I can probably find something close at the LYS .... :muah:

Toby

Compulsive
01-05-2007, 01:06 AM
I'm knitting a pattern featured in the knittng book, Pursenalities, that looks similar to the bag you want. It has a flat, rectangular bottom & two side pockets.

Mrs. Columbo
01-05-2007, 01:08 AM
Where did you get the book??

Toby (who needs more books)

SandraEllen
01-05-2007, 09:44 AM
I have the everyday bag from NamasteNeedles and I love it. Carry it to work with me every day.

msoebel
01-05-2007, 10:52 AM
Not to hijack this thread...but I was an idiot and went to Namast to see what the big deal was with the needles. I now have birthday list ideas (dh would have a hissy if I ordered them right now :verysad: ).

Is it wrong to covet those needles? :notworthy:

Misty

auburnchick
01-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Where did you get the book??

Toby (who needs more books)

Toby,

Check amazon.com for the book. I just cut and pasted the title of the book, and it brought up the book, along with several other interesting titles!

brendajos
01-05-2007, 11:10 AM
Not to hijack this thread...but I was an idiot and went to Namast to see what the big deal was with the needles. I now have birthday list ideas (dh would have a hissy if I ordered them right now :verysad: ).

Is it wrong to covet those needles? :notworthy:

Misty

i tried to warn you people! I don't use straight needles but i want one of each to put in a pretty vase.

Mrs. Columbo
01-05-2007, 11:29 AM
If there were a "Ten Commandments For Knitters" there would be something in there about coveting the Namaste needles and thy neighbor's Green Mountain knitting bag .....

BTW I had four or five lovely emails back and forth with Martha Socco of Green Mountain .... unfortunately when her bags came up it was 5:30 my time and I was in the Safeway store purchasing a chicken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grrr:

Better luck next week .... but until then I shall continue to covet.
Toby

candicane
01-05-2007, 02:20 PM
I like the look of the Lexie Barnes knitting bags, but can't justify the cost. I did justify the cost of a Lexie Barnes diaper bag last year (the Darling bag) in a fun skull print. I love it and do not regret the purchase. It is a very practical diaper bag, well made and does not look like a diaper bag.

I saw some Kecci mommy bags at Marshall's and TJ Maxx that I almost caved on to use as a knitting bag. They have some really nice Asian prints.

candice

brendajos
01-05-2007, 02:24 PM
If there were a "Ten Commandments For Knitters" there would be something in there about coveting the Namaste needles and thy neighbor's Green Mountain knitting bag .....

BTW I had four or five lovely emails back and forth with Martha Socco of Green Mountain .... unfortunately when her bags came up it was 5:30 my time and I was in the Safeway store purchasing a chicken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grrr:

Better luck next week .... but until then I shall continue to covet.
Toby

LOL! I am telling you I ALWAYS forget (forgot until reading this post in fact!) I think it is my brain's way of telling me I don't need another! She had come up with a pattern for a bag that was HUGE. It was perfect for the dork like me that carries way too much stuff, including an afghan that i am working on. She decided not to do it after all because it was too much work and fabric. I was so excited about that bag though.

I also want a fat baguette bag. it is going to have to wait though! ;)

Mrs. Columbo
01-05-2007, 02:27 PM
I like the look of the Lexie Barnes knitting bags, but can't justify the cost. I did justify the cost of a Lexie Barnes diaper bag last year (the Darling bag) in a fun skull print. I love it and do not regret the purchase. It is a very practical diaper bag, well made and does not look like a diaper bag.

candice

LEXIE BARNES??? You mean there's ANOTHER site I need to visit??? Do they sell Namaste needles??????????? Hmm, I must go look at that site again and see how much those needles are .....

Toby

candicane
01-05-2007, 02:29 PM

candice

LEXIE BARNES??? You mean there's ANOTHER site I need to visit??? Do they sell Namaste needles??????????? Hmm, I must go look at that site again and see how much those needles are .....

Toby

No needles, just bags... www.lexiebarnes.com

I like that the are waterproof but not vinyl. The are some sort of laminated cotton and are very flexible. Did I mention that I love my bag?

candice

Mrs. Columbo
01-05-2007, 02:31 PM
I'm doomed ... I'm so weak and ashamed .. I found sophiebags.com .... saw your Darling Bag which you dearly love.

Toby

auburnchick
01-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Y'all are so bad!!! :fingerwag:

Here's (http://www.verabradley.com/Site/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?sku=116:12) what I got for Christmas from my MIL. Since I'm waiting for my Options to come in, it's doubling as my school-book carrier. :)

Mrs. Columbo
01-05-2007, 04:25 PM
Oh the bags they just keep on coming ........... aggghhhhh .. I continue to be weak and ashamed (and take on the appearance of my dog in the avatar) ... but I'll get over it once I get a set of Namaste needles ....

What do you mean they look like knitting needles dear? But they're in a VASE!!!!!

Toby

Jan in CA
01-05-2007, 04:36 PM
Here's (http://www.verabradley.com/Site/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?sku=116:12) what I got for Christmas from my MIL.

Be still my heart! Those bags are gorgeous! The Villager is larger and has lots of pockets... I might just have to splurge on one of these! :inlove: :inlove:

Stiney
01-05-2007, 04:43 PM
I'm coveting the Namaste messenger bag.

I haven't bought one because I can't pick a color. Blue or brown, blue or brown? :shrug:

brendajos
01-05-2007, 04:44 PM
i saw the blue at Purls in Des Moines and it is a really pretty color. I am not a huge fan of blue but it really is nice...almost a powdery blue color.

(and i actually convinced my mother to NOT buy it for me!)

auburnchick
01-05-2007, 07:31 PM
I'm ashamed to say that I had never heard of this brand before. I saw "Vera" on the tag and thought Vera Wang, so I reacted appropriately when I opened it. :roflhard:

Until I went to the site, I had no idea what a beautiful collection of bags there are. May have to upgrade myself. ;)