PDA

View Full Version : FO - Fishnet Stockings

CarmenIbanez
01-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Here are the fishnet stockings I made for my sister. She's 18 and can pull this sort of thing off. The pattern picture shows a dark color, which would be sexy and cool, but she lives in a cold climate and wanted to be able to wear them over other tights. So I made them out of the beige LB Microspun. About three skeins total, depending on your size. They are stretchy, as they use the mesh stitch, but only on the leg. The foot was not very stretchy, so you really have to be careful on that part. This pattern is in the "Love" issue of Knit.1, the winter 06/07 issue.

I bought black to make mine. :eyebrow:

Skyrimir
01-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Those are really neat!

Ronda
01-13-2007, 03:44 PM
I like those!

callmesusan
01-13-2007, 03:47 PM
Aaarrrrgh!! Those fishnets are fabulous. There aren't many times that I wish I were younger, but this is one of those times.

Jan in CA
01-13-2007, 03:50 PM
Very cool! Looks like a lot of work!

rorygilmore
01-13-2007, 03:56 PM
You did a great job! Those are really cool! :cheering:

IndianPrincessSIP
01-13-2007, 04:11 PM
:cheering:
Will be looking for that issue.

sara_jayne
01-13-2007, 04:18 PM
Wonderful job, Carmen! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Mulderknitter
01-13-2007, 04:43 PM
WOW! No those are some socks! :yay: I would never be able to pull those off but great job!

CarmenIbanez
01-13-2007, 05:45 PM
Honestly, they were really easy. And I am NOT a sock knitter!

zip
01-13-2007, 06:05 PM
I must have a pair! I'm betting they're seamless? A seam up the back would be sexay, too. Can't wait to see your dark ones.

nadja la claire
01-13-2007, 06:48 PM
O la la!! C'est tres belle et sexy!!!!!! :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

Was the microspun difficult to work with?

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

CarmenIbanez
01-13-2007, 07:13 PM
They are sort of seamless. The actual knitting is seamless. However, the way the pattern calls for the increases, leaves a sort of solid line up the back. I am going to experiment with this on my next pair.

The microspun is always a little difficult, but a really good yarn for this project. Something that will get sweaty or dirty, like socks have to be easy to care for. What was REALLY weird was I knitted them on bamboo dpns. When I switched back to my options for my current project, I felt like I was speed knitting.

Cristy
01-13-2007, 08:50 PM
Those are AWESOME!!!

feministmama
01-13-2007, 10:22 PM
Does the pattern come in extra large sizes for us full figured gals? :?? Or are only skinny minnies allowed to be sexy? :!!!:

mwedzi
01-13-2007, 11:44 PM
Those are hot! And I think everyone who wants to should be wearing them, not just young thin folk. I want a pair!

hunterjenn
01-14-2007, 12:50 AM
OH. MY. GOSH. :thud:

I love them!

CarmenIbanez
01-14-2007, 02:10 PM
It's a one size pattern. But should be easy enough to adjust. Just do the math. I had to adjust them for height because we're all shorties in my family.

jodstr2
01-14-2007, 02:23 PM
:inlove: oooh Carmen, those look so fun! great job! :cheering:

candicane
01-16-2007, 11:34 AM
I don't know how I missed this post! I love them and must have a pair. I see a little trip to Borders on my way home to get the magazine. Is microspun the yarn in the pattern or did you switch?

Candice

Jenelle
01-16-2007, 12:55 PM
Those are stunning! :inlove:

I think you should totally make them in black for yourself. :teehee:

CarmenIbanez
01-16-2007, 01:52 PM
I swtiched the yarn because I wanted this project to be sort of a stash buster. This is a difficult pattern to swatch for though, so be careful choosing your yarn.

Kaydee
01-16-2007, 02:05 PM
Those are so cool! And you did a great job on them! :cheering:

candicane
01-31-2007, 12:11 PM
CarmenIbanez,

I just started my fishnets and have a question on the toe. I have done the first half of the toe and now need to do the second half and am confused.

Where am I supposed to pick up the stitches from?

I posted in the help forum, but no one has come to my rescue yet. I know I am so impatient!

Thanks,
candice

CarmenIbanez
01-31-2007, 02:07 PM
This is the part that I was confused about also. You fold the toe over, and at EACH edge, you pick up a stitch from edge of the other half of the toe. Just stick your needle through the edge stitch from the half you've already done, yarn over and pull it through to both add a stitch and close the toe at the same time.

Does that make sense?

candicane
01-31-2007, 02:22 PM
So... I fold the toe over and pick up a stitch on the first row that I knit (on the first half of the toe)?

I feel so dense.

candice

candicane
01-31-2007, 02:32 PM
Eeek, whatever I am doing is way wrong. It looks like a part of the toe is inside out or something.

candice

CarmenIbanez
01-31-2007, 02:42 PM
God I am so bad at this kind of thing.

Okay, once you fold over the toe part, you will be working from narrow to wide. So, I think on the knit row only, you stick your needle through to the edge stitch of the finished side (which is behind your current knitting), grab the yarn, pull it through to your current side, then just knit the next stitch as normal. Continue across the row, when you complete the last stitch, stick your needle through the other side, pick up the yarn, pull it through and then turn to the purl side.

As you do this, you close up the toe, so that when you are done, you'll be ready to switch to knitting in the round.

Boy I hope that makes more sense.

CarmenIbanez
01-31-2007, 02:48 PM
I don't have the stockings with me, or I would post a picture of what it ends up looking like. If you don't figure it out before I get home tonight, I will post some pics.

candicane
01-31-2007, 03:12 PM
Maybe this will help. I just don't know why i can't wrap my brain around it.

So here is what I have so far. Do I pick up the stitch from where I have the arrow drawn or am I totally off?

Thanks again,
candice

CarmenIbanez
01-31-2007, 03:19 PM
Okay, perfect. Yes you pick up the stitch from where the arrow is drawn. It might make it easier to visualize if you put the wrong side of what you have already knit facing you. The narrowest part of what you have already knit will be the part that goes across the tips of your toes. So the part that you have already knit is will be under your toes, and the part you are about to knit will be on top of your toes. The seams that you are creating will be on the right and left of your foot.

Now, it is important to remember, that when you pull the new loop through your knitting, you don't knit it. You pull through the new loop, then knit the next stitch. The same goes for the other end, pull the new loop through, then turn and purl the next stitch.

candicane
02-01-2007, 12:03 PM
In theory I had the directions correct in my mind. Execution of said directions took about what seams like a zillion tries. It is not perfect, but I have a toe now!

I marked for the center back. Is the start of a round on a side seam (which is where the tail of my yarn is) or is the start opposite of the center back?

Thanks for all your help!

Candice

CarmenIbanez
02-01-2007, 12:28 PM
Well you see, the increases, are a little bit visible because you just can't hide them in the pattern every row, so I used the center back and the beginning of my rounds, because that is where you increase.

I hope I was any help at all! :-) Can't wait to see pics.

candicane
02-01-2007, 12:32 PM
Thanks for that tidbit of info, I'll look out for it. But, is the start of a round directly opposite of the center back?

candice

zip
02-01-2007, 11:36 PM
I found the magazine today at B&N. My brain was fried from budgets and profit-sharing and bonuses and distributions. So I went on a search and destroy mission at lunch. They had three copies left when I found it, one of which the cashier set out to find as I was leaving.

The pirate baby outfit in there is really cute, too. So many projects, so little time!