PDA

View Full Version : another reversible hat

joe_doufu
01-14-2007, 12:35 PM
The last reversible hat (see this (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23869) thread) turned out too small, and had various other imperfections, so I gave it to my student with the tiniest cranium and started again.

Once again I knit an entire hat (based on the Mielkes' Fiber Arts hat calculator here (http://mielkesfarm.com/bsic_hat.htm)) and then went back to the beginning, picked up the same number of stitches, and knit another hat of the same pattern going the other direction. Finally I took the long tails left over at the peak of each hat, threaded them together on one needle, and stiched a kind of * shape to attach the hats at the center. The hat looks good and fits me very well, perhaps a bit loose. This is the first real good thing I've made myself.

What did I do differently from last time?
1. I used the same brand of yarn for both sides, so the size is almost the same. (I believe the red side is slightly smaller than the green+white side, though. You can see the green trim when I wear it red-side-out.)
2. Instead of the provisional cast-on, I simply used the long-tail cast on. I found it actually much easier to pick up the stitches, because I could see them all clearly, and in fact there's no seam.
3. It's all in stockinette, no ribbing to confuse things.

zip
01-14-2007, 01:42 PM
Impressive work! :applause: Excellent color use and changes from what I can see.

Jan in CA
01-14-2007, 01:57 PM
That looks great! I love the colors!

wends
01-14-2007, 03:00 PM
That looks great!! :cheering:

CarmenIbanez
01-14-2007, 04:32 PM
Nice!

joe_doufu
01-15-2007, 08:41 PM
Unfortunately as I was showing off my new creation to some students, they reminded me that in Chinese tradition, for a man to "wear a green hat" means to be cuckolded. So, I'll mostly wear the hat red-side-out until I leave China. By which time it will be summer. And I'll surely have made a new and better hat by next fall.

sara_jayne
01-15-2007, 11:05 PM
Looks great! :) Sorry you can't wear the green side, but at least you can wear the otherside okay!

Cristy
01-16-2007, 12:57 AM
very nice--great job!

mwedzi
01-16-2007, 08:21 PM
Unfortunately as I was showing off my new creation to some students, they reminded me that in Chinese tradition, for a man to "wear a green hat" means to be cuckolded.

Really? :roflhard:

Hmm, that was funny. Your hat is cool. I'd wear it green-side-out, too, and if some dude said something I'd be like "yeah, yo' mama needs to get her act together". :rofl:

Kaydee
01-17-2007, 03:30 PM
Unfortunately as I was showing off my new creation to some students, they reminded me that in Chinese tradition, for a man to "wear a green hat" means to be cuckolded.

:teehee: Well it looks great on both sides regardless.

aineepooh1
01-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Pardon my Ignorance but:
What is cuckolded? :?? :?? I am assuming from the jist of the thread that this is NOT a good thing?? :roflhard:

nonny2t
01-18-2007, 05:24 PM
Pardon my Ignorance but:
What is cuckolded? :?? :?? I am assuming from the jist of the thread that this is NOT a good thing?? :roflhard:

Basically, being unfaithful to your spouse or some people use it to mean, in his case, a "kept" man.

As far as the hat, looks wonderful and a lot more comfortable than the other attempt you made at a hat, right? It is really great looking!