PDA

View Full Version : Wicked sweater

Pages : [1] 2 3

XbelovedXoneX
01-16-2007, 04:20 AM
Has anyone seen the new Zephyr pattern Wicked (http://www.zephyrstyle.com/catalog/item.cfm/2367447/3974522)? It's gooooorgeous! I'd like to start a KAL for this, but I won't be able to start this for a while. I just had to gush about the pattern though!

It'd be my first sweater too... I never do things the easy way, huh? :teehee:

Petals
01-16-2007, 09:28 AM
I love that pattern too!! I can't start for awhile because I am going to try to start the knit-along for the Eris sweater. It may take a very long time. Wish I'd seen this earlier---it isn't as complicated!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-16-2007, 08:45 PM
why do you tempt me with this!!!!!!!!!

ecuzzacrea
01-16-2007, 08:53 PM
OMGosh - why did you have to show me that.

That will be my next project for sure!! I love the short sleeved version so much.

I have 3 projects to finish though so maybe next month :)

XbelovedXoneX
01-17-2007, 12:09 AM
why do you tempt me with this!!!!!!!!!

Because I didn't want to be the only one drooling over here! :teehee: I have no idea which yarn I would use... I've been so good about stash busting since the new year, but I have nothing that would do this justice!

thischicknits
01-17-2007, 07:54 PM
OMG OMG OMG OMG
:thud:

That sweater is AWESOME!!! Scrap plans for next project - this is it!!!

thischicknits
01-20-2007, 09:25 PM
I downloaded the pattern yesterday and am swatching (again) tonight. Once I get gauge - I'm going to start. :woohoo: :woohoo:

So is Hilde. Right, Hilde? :poke:

XbelovedXoneX
01-20-2007, 09:54 PM
That's great! :cheering: I would... but I have no yarn that's suitable and I'm broke. *pout*

thischicknits
01-20-2007, 11:26 PM
Well, my swatch didn't make gauge, so I'm going to try one more time tonight. :pout:

ecuzzacrea
01-20-2007, 11:36 PM
Well, my swatch didn't make gauge, so I'm going to try one more time tonight. :pout:

What yarn are you using?

I'm still trying to choose mine. =)

thischicknits
01-21-2007, 12:00 AM
I am using Malabrigo in Stonechat. It's SOOOOOO soft!!

Angelia
01-21-2007, 12:09 AM
That is a gorgeous sweater!! That neckline would look absolutely wretched on me, so I won't join, but I can't wait to see what loverlies all of you knit!!

thischicknits
01-21-2007, 03:52 PM
I GOT GAUGE!!!!!
:cheering: :woohoo: :cheering: :woohoo: :cheering: :woohoo: :cheering: :woohoo: :cheering: :woohoo: :cheering: :woohoo: :cheering: :woohoo: :cheering: :woohoo: :cheering: :woohoo: :cheering: :woohoo: :cheering: :woohoo: :cheering: :woohoo: :cheering: :woohoo: :cheering: :woohoo: :cheering: :woohoo:

itsjustmeghan
01-21-2007, 09:57 PM
i'm totally interested in doing this one! i'm newer here and i've never done a KAL so it will be nice to have people to answer to on a project! hahaha.
what kind of yarn are you using?
i'm thinking something from knitpicks would be nice...especailly if i can keep the price down! mmmm....i'm thinking a saphire kinda blue would be amazing! so interesting...

i'll download the pattern tonight and see what i have to do needle wise! :D

i'm so excited! :D

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-22-2007, 12:02 PM
buying my yarn today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XbelovedXoneX
01-22-2007, 01:35 PM
sooo jealous of everyone starting! I can't buy yarn for a while. :verysad:

What yarn are you using Hildie?

itsjustmeghan
01-22-2007, 05:02 PM
what kind of yarn are you getting?!

thischicknits
01-22-2007, 06:01 PM
Get your yarn, Hilde?
I cast on and knit a few rows, then felt bad about needing to finish my sqap socks so I worked on them a bit. I'll have to finish the socks quickly so I can dedicate more time to this.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-22-2007, 09:11 PM
I got mmmmmmmmmmalabrigo in tigerlilly

http://www.malabrigoyarn.com/yarn/images/colors/mm_tigerlily100.jpg

nowI need to buy the stoooooooooopid pattern. I hate paying for patterns!

Compulsive
01-23-2007, 11:56 AM
I :heart: that neckline! I bought a DVD to learn how to knit sweaters top down & in the round. But the video pattern is, well, frump. So I gave up. But this, this Wicked pattern is my style.

Count me in!

:doh: And I just bought 4 hanks of Malabrigo in two colorways. I wonder if I could exchange the yarn & get four hanks of one colorway/dyelot?

Hmmm....I have all that black Bernat Satin I found at Goodwill this past fall for $2.00.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-23-2007, 06:37 PM
you could just buy more mmmmmmm.... :oo:

thischicknits
01-23-2007, 07:34 PM
Listen to Hilde - she knows what she's talking about!

:teehee:

ecuzzacrea
01-23-2007, 07:35 PM
I'm jealous too!!

I have a few projects going now and I'm so busy with school and work that I feel bad starting another project. I really need to get some yarn for this sweater though because I :heart: it!! Maybe I'll be able to start next month.

Thankfully I have a kick-a$$ husband who asked if I wanted to go yarn shopping. :happydance:

Compulsive
01-24-2007, 12:15 AM
OUCH! Y'all don't have to twist my arm so hard--- :teehee: I'm heading to the LYS on Thursday to buy more MMMMMalabrigo since I still have yarn money left, and my yarn for another sweater arrived this afternoon.

I guess I need to take an advance against next week's mad money. :teehee:

I'm building a staaash, I'm building a staaash...

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-24-2007, 01:21 AM
i can't get freaking gauge!!!!! :!!!:

cindyln
01-24-2007, 12:10 PM
I got the pattern last week and am just waiting for my yarn. I heard about it from a Lime & Violet podcast. I am using this yarn in cinnamonhttp://www.knitpicks.com/kpimages/regular/5420126.jpg

XbelovedXoneX
01-24-2007, 01:09 PM
I actually first heard about the pattern from L&V too! I had to google it once I heard all the drooling going on. :teehee:

fullofwhispers
01-24-2007, 01:31 PM
This is my first time posting on this forum but I had a question. I'm wanting to knit Wicked as well and bought some Berroco Ultra Alpaca (http://berroco.com/yarns/ultra_alpaca.html) yarn for it last weekend. But I can't get guage! :( This is my second sweater and I'm a little lost. Should I return the yarn or try to knit a different size on the sweater? Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
:??

Compulsive
01-24-2007, 04:50 PM
Try a different needle first. If your gauge is too small, go up a needle size, if too large, go down a needle size.

i can't get freaking gauge!!!!!

Hilde, are you a loose or tight knitter? I'm trying to figure out if I should even buy the Malabrigo for this pattern. I'm on spot or loose knitter.

hmmm...what else would be yummy for this sweater & not cost more than $60?

Petals
01-24-2007, 05:58 PM
Okay, I'm in--------this is going to be my reward for knitting something from my stash! Soooooo not starting yet

Maybe, I could knit a dishcloth from stash :thinking: Then buy yarn!! :happydance:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-24-2007, 06:20 PM
I;'m generally a tight knitter... I FINALLY got gauge on 10.5s!!!!!!!!! :shock: I don't LOVE the fabric it's making though. I'm going to try bamboo, and see if that makes a difference. I can't knit a whole freaking sweater on size 10.5s I'll break my arm!

KK tried to break it to me gently that maybe I'm not using the right yarn... And I said "But it's malabrigo!!!!!!!!" (isn't mmm right for everything??) We looked at the suggested yarn, and KK decided that mmm is the right yarn, I just knit wierd :shrug:

Compulsive
01-25-2007, 01:54 AM
Okay, I'm in--------this is going to be my reward for knitting something from my stash! Soooooo not starting yet

Maybe, I could knit a dishcloth from stash :thinking: Then buy yarn!! :happydance:

Here's a link to an, umm, knitted book mark:Rainbow Ripple Bookmark (http://www.culturedpurl.com/free/bookmark.html/). :roflhard: You can now start your sweater with the rest of us as soon as you get some more yarn.

Okay, the link won't work for some strange reason, but you can access the book mark via Knitting Pattern Central. Scroll down to the Felted Book Marks (http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/bookmarks.php/)

Petals
01-25-2007, 09:33 AM
Compulsive---Bookmark is very tempting------- :teehee:

I'm waiting to buy yarn on sale---but the wait won't be too bad as I'll be gone for awhile. :tap: :teehee:

So, superbowl Sunday I can cast on!

As I write this I ask myself---do I go ahead and buy yarn not on sale????------------NO-NO-NO----bad girl!

thischicknits
01-25-2007, 11:32 PM
Hilde - don't scare me like that! If you could not have used MMMMM you would have let me known, right?!?!?
I'm glad you got gauge - I had to work a bit, but did finally got gauge too.

Phew!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-26-2007, 12:00 AM
what size needles were you using when you got gauge??? And what were they made of??

I can't find any bamboos in my needle collection bigger than 8s so I'm going to have to hit a LYS sometime and try their needles...

candicane
01-26-2007, 12:34 PM
I just looked at the pattern and now I want to play too! I have used ArtYarns Supermerino and to me it seems much thinner than malabrigo. I do have enough malabrigo to do the SS version. I think I'll swatch it up tonight and see what I get. Oh wait, I am supposed to start a hat and my fishnet stockings.

I love the ArtYarns Supermerino, but it is way too expensive for me for a whole sweater.

candice

candicane
01-26-2007, 02:51 PM
Has anyone CO for this yet? I have not bought pattern yet since I need to check my stash first.

I was googling for some feedback and pics and came across a blog that mentions that the CO numbers are incorrect. Don't know if this is something had already been fixed, but just an FYI to those who haven't started yet.

candice

XbelovedXoneX
01-26-2007, 05:15 PM
I've been reading Sexy Knitters Club, which has a KAL going for this, and haven't seen anyone remarking on the CO stitches being wrong. :shrug: Also, the Zephyr girls are really helpful so you could always ask them!

itsjustmeghan
01-26-2007, 06:14 PM
:pout: i want to knit this so bad, but i'm scared i won't finish it in time to wear it. my office is always warm, and i'm worried i won't get to wear it this year....
do you think it'll be a quick knit with the gauge? i'd be going for the short sleeves....
oh, and what do you plan on wearing it with? jeans? would you wear a tank under it? or a long sleeved like in the picture?
i'm hoping to see some pictures of finished ones so i'd fall in love for sure!
i'm eager to see how the knit picks yarn does with this pattern....
i'll see if i can find that sexy knitters forum kal and see if anyone is done yet!
what to do? what to do?

thischicknits
01-26-2007, 09:22 PM
I am using bamboo US 9's. My gauge was spot on with them and I generally knit with pretty even tension - not too tight or loose.

I have cast on but am really trying to finish my sqap socks before I invest too much time on this one. I really only have a teeny-tiny bit done.

Has anyone else heard of the pattern being incorrect?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-26-2007, 11:18 PM
I'm going to try bamboo 9s and 10s and see if that makes a difference.

Re: CO numbers... I checked the website, and the CO numbers for the Glee sweater were originally incorrect. It doesn't say anything about the Wicked sweater. Here's the email address: knit@zephyrstyle.com

thischicknits
01-26-2007, 11:26 PM
I read that the cable pattern needs to be divisible by 8. If your size isn't, just alter it so that it is and you should be fine.

itsjustmeghan
01-26-2007, 11:32 PM
i'm toying with tearing out an old project i never finished, or my first sweater i made and never wear to knit this one instead.... :pout:
my only concern? it's manos wool, and it's really warm. wonderful, but warm which is why i never wear it....maybe if it's knit in this wider neck/short sleeved sweater i'd wear it with a tank underneath?
because as a long sleeved turtleneck it's KILLER hot!

i put up a picture of my aran sweater i'm toying with tearing out in the what'cha knitting section...it's worsted weight...and it's just sitting here...i'm just nervous i wouldn't have enough to finish it...i've got 2 balls past what is done in that photo...cables take up lots of yarn, right? maybe i'll have enough for wicked...

XbelovedXoneX
01-27-2007, 01:54 AM
I reeeally wanted to use the Artyarns Supermerino since http://www.sarahsyarns.com has good prices on it... But I'm still too broke for even $60-$70 on a sweater. So I'm looking into KP for my other options... :teehee:

candicane
01-29-2007, 11:24 AM
I am pretty sure I am getting 8 skeins of Supermerino in the gray, black, white colorway (#117) for my birthday. Knittingzone.com has a couple of colorways on sale. They no longer have the one I picked, hopefully because my hubby bought it all!

Meanwhile, I'll try to get gauge with my Malabrigo to do the SS version.

Candice

Compulsive
01-29-2007, 03:35 PM
Have pattern in hand and 2 colors of Malabrigo to choose from:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/178/373582502_22a5a77fa9_m.jpgI'm going with the Azul Bolita and saving the Terracota for a different sweater pattern. The colors look brighter than in person, as the above yarns are more earth and jeweled toned.

Now, to get gauge...

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-29-2007, 08:25 PM
okay peeps, what needles did you end up with getting gauge with the mmm?

candicane
01-30-2007, 09:03 PM
Hildy,

I am getting 18 stitches/4 inches with my #8 options. I did not count row gauge, I think everything is measured in inches in the pattern, so I am not too concerned about that.

I might try the 7s just to see what the difference is and which fabric I like better.

I'm using 100purewool merino (same as Malabrigo).

I just downloaded the pattern so I'll have to do a little more reading.

candice

Compulsive
01-31-2007, 02:16 AM
I tried my size 7 Addis & 7/8 Denise needles, but made gauge with KP Options size 8 (17.5 is as close as I'm going to get). Since it's so late, I'll cast on in the morning before the kiddos get up and we begin our school day.

I'll post some pics, hopefully.

cindyln
02-01-2007, 08:28 PM
I got gauge using 7 addis and knit picks andean silk. I can't wait to start this sweater but am making myself finish at least one of the projects on my needles now. I already have 4 projects going. I hope to finish the irish hiking scarf tonight and maybe the bath mat this weekend. If all goes as I hope I can cast on Wicked early next week.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-01-2007, 10:13 PM
I did more swatching last night, and got gauge in a fabric I like with Addi Naturas in size 10s. :happydance: I also decided I wanted more than 1inch of ease, so I did the math to make the sweater larger (it was super easy!). I CO yesterday at Chix, and I'm almost done the collar.

Petals
02-01-2007, 10:16 PM
I've got the pattern downloaded---now the yarn :happydance:
I looked at mmmmmmmmm in Rockford today but didn't find enough in the color I wanted.

Switched my internet server ---couldn't get on KH :wall: but I'm back and trying to play a little catch up. What a nightmare for this non-techie!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-01-2007, 10:19 PM
Ooo where did you go in Rockford??

Petals
02-01-2007, 11:16 PM
I went to Unique Yarns off of Alpine. If I would have had more time I would have gone on Riverside to Yarn Seller. It's smaller but she has some nice things. UY is really nice.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-02-2007, 12:12 AM
*lurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrve* UY!!!!! I got my yarn there, but I have to go buy another skein--I hope they have the same dyelot left! :pray:

I used to like the yarn seller, but since they changed owners last year I think their selection has gone down the tubes. Too much novelty IMHO. Do you live in Rockford?

I had to frog Wicked :!!!: I messed up the cables. Starting over again... *sigh*

kristinw
02-02-2007, 09:39 AM
OMG I am just seeing this awesome sweater! I am almost finished the sweater I am working on now and this would be a great next project. I have some mmmmmm that I bought that is just dying to be used. I definitely have enough for the short sleeve.

Has anyone made progress with the mmmm? I'm wondering if it works well for this sweater??

mrs desert rain
02-02-2007, 02:23 PM
I'M IN!

i need a break from the vogue holiday cardigan anyway... :wall:

i have JUST enough karabella aurora 8 in black... gonna cast on tonight!!! :happydance:

itsjustmeghan
02-02-2007, 08:16 PM
so is the mmmmm a worsted weight yarn? is it wool?
i'm thinking about tearing out a sweater i knit and using it. it's Manos wool. i'm just wondering how it'll look...it'll show the cables well, and i think it'd look okay, but for some reason with the short sleeved one i'm worried it'll look funny...
maybe i should see if i can get some knitpicks yarn instead?
what do you think?
i really like this pattern a lot, and i wore the sweater i was thinking about frogging today...the sleeves are too long, the sweater is too short, and the turtleneck bugs me!
i'm just worried i won't wear the wicked knit with it because i am not a fan of itchy wools....hmmmmm. maybe it wouldn't feel so itchy with short sleeves and no turtle neck?:shrug:

any suggestions?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-02-2007, 10:37 PM
The mmmmm is working great for me. I chose a "solid" colorway, because I didn't want any color varigations to distact from the sweater. (the solid colorways aren't exactly solid, they have slight variations int he shades and tints). Malabrigo is worsted, 100% wool. I would think that manos would be kind of itchy... but if you've worn a sweater made from it, then you'd know if it was too itchy for you, I guess.

itsjustmeghan
02-02-2007, 11:00 PM
hmmm....maybe i'll look around on knitpicks and see if there is something on there i could use instead....i'd like to be able to wear this a little in the spring, before it gets officially warm here. of course, it's been so freakin cold i don't think it'll ever happen the way it's going!

off to shop for yarn!

anybody have pictures of their progress?

candicane
02-02-2007, 11:09 PM
I just finished the collar. I decided to go with the size 7 needles instead of 8s. The colorway is slight variations a sand tan and a carmely tan. I think it is looking really nice! Hopefully I will have time to work on it tomorrow.

candice

Petals
02-02-2007, 11:13 PM
Yarn in the house!!!! Now to decide which to do MMMMMMMMMMMM or Cascade???? :teehee:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-03-2007, 12:09 AM
go with mmmmmmm it's much softer!!!

Petals
02-03-2007, 10:00 AM
MMMMMMMM it is!! :happydance:

thischicknits
02-03-2007, 02:16 PM
DEFINITELY go with the MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm.
I got most of the collar worked last night and am loving the way it looks and feels.

itsjustmeghan
02-03-2007, 06:05 PM
it's all IL people on here, huh? guess we're not really getting out with this cold front, huh? yeah!
if you guys do another gathering, let me know! i'll try to make it out there!

okay. on knit picks....
i think i'm going to do Andean Silk in Leaf or Hollyberry. i most likely won't be wearing the sweater alone. generally i wear tank tops under my wool sweaters because my skin is always dry/itchy this time of year...how does this yarn compare to swish superwash or wool of the andes?
i know, i should order the sample cards, but i kinda want to order this yarn, my options needles set, and get to work!

i'm also going to make the body longer. do you think if i get the amount of yarn for long sleeves, but knitting short sleeves will give me enough extra yardage?

okay...i promise...yarn will be in hand soon, and i'll get started on wicked ASAP after it gets here! :D :happydance:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-03-2007, 07:09 PM
What color did you get????? I *love* andean silk!

XbelovedXoneX
02-03-2007, 07:23 PM
I was thinking about using Andean Silk as an alternative because I'm pretty broke, but I read someone's post on the Sexy Knitters Club blog saying it was itchy and she was going to wear something underneath it. Now I am doubting if it will be a good choice because I have fairly sensitive skin!

thischicknits
02-03-2007, 07:43 PM
I have a completed collar - yeah! I hope tonight to get a little bit more done.
Mehgan - I would suspect that you would have enough yarn if you weren't lengthening it too much, but I would personally err on the side of too much than too little yarn. :shrug:

itsjustmeghan
02-03-2007, 11:02 PM
i went with andean silk in Leaf. i don't own any green sweaters, so i figured it'd expand my waredrobe. and i like the one in the pattern photo, so i hope it looks similar. i ordered my set of knit picks options that i've been drooling over since christmas, too! fortunately, i saved some of my christmas money for a rainy day...well it's not rainy, but it's definately cold! i also got some color cards for andean silk and WOTA (for some clogs i plan to knit next after wicked).

xbelovedxonex-
i saw that same comment by the person on the andean silk yarn being itchy, but i have a feeling every wool is itchy to some extent....at least in worsted weight... it should hopefull be good. i totally trust hildegard's love of the andean silk so i'm sure it will be.

now i just have to sit and wait....
i went with the free shipping...how long do they take normally? i sure hope i don't have to wait 14 days!!! :pout: i'm ready to get this started NOW!
i guess i could buy my wicked pattern and memorize it before the yarn gets here! :teehee:

i'm requestion progress photos! i want to see your wicked!!

cindyln
02-03-2007, 11:51 PM
I am going to use the andean silk in cinnamon. This yarn is very soft and I can't imagine it being itchy. I hope to cast on Monday.

XbelovedXoneX
02-04-2007, 11:03 AM
I was only worried because I made a neckwarmer out of Debbie Bliss alpaca silk and found it very itchy on my neck. It felt sooo soft in the ball, but once knitted up it bothered my neck. :shrug:

Petals
02-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Anyone decide if the CO stitches are correct?? It doesn't seem right to me--

8 st pattern and when you get to the end of the round you only have 4 st. left-- 128 and the 136 are the only CO that will work--Right????

I CO 124 st ---I'm thinking I may have to rip. I don't know what to do now. I'm need 35 but hope it doesn't turn out too tight :!!!:

Any suggestions??

thischicknits
02-04-2007, 05:54 PM
For the CO number of stitiches - be sure that the number is divisible by 8. If not, you will need to adjust.

Good luck! I made some progress this weekend, but no pics yet...

Petals
02-04-2007, 06:07 PM
This is what I thought you needed to do. I checked their web site for corrections but didn't find any. So now I rip-

Thanks

candicane
02-04-2007, 09:21 PM
There is an explanation as to the CO number on the Zephyr website in the forums. I used the 124 and it looks fine. I am almost to the break for the arms.

candice

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-04-2007, 11:27 PM
Once I realized the superbowl was a lost cause for the bears, I picked up wicked. I'd CO for the third time yesterday, and only knitted one round. I finished the collar by 3rd quarter, and have done about 8 rounds of the increases.

The yarn isn't quite this bright orange... it's more like a muted peach.

Petals
02-04-2007, 11:48 PM
:thumbsup: Love the color.I think that is the color I was going with but didn't find enough ---I think you got there first! But, LYS had sale on Sat. and I got Verde Adriana . I just finished the neck ribbing and into a couple of rounds.

thischicknits
02-05-2007, 12:23 AM
Here is my Wicked in progress - these colors are somewhat brighter than the actual yarn and there is more green tones than what you see.

Compulsive
02-05-2007, 12:25 AM
it's all IL people on here, huh? guess we're not really getting out with this cold front, huh? yeah!. . .

I'm in Minnesota, where it's -35 below. . . :!!!:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-05-2007, 12:32 AM
35 below???? http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/cold.gif

I'm using tigerlilly, is that the yarn you wanted??? :shifty:

Margaret, yours looks fabulous!

Petals
02-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Yeah, I think that was the color. I can't wear peach and I was looking for a toned down orange Next time! :D

cindyln
02-05-2007, 05:25 PM
I cast on for the size 36-39. This is 128 stitches but when I join in the round to do the first row it is like the 32 inch needles are way too long. The stitches are stretched out way to far. Am I doing anything wrong?? I had to lay it down I got so frustrated.

Petals
02-05-2007, 05:29 PM
The 32 inch should be okay. I CO 120 on 32's. The first couple of rows are tight but it gets better.

Petals
02-05-2007, 05:32 PM
I cast on for the size 36-39. This is 128 stitches but when I join in the round to do the first row it is like the 32 inch needles are way too long. The stitches are stretched out way to far. Am I doing anything wrong?? I had to lay it down I got so frustrated.

What are you knitting with and what is the needle size?

cindyln
02-05-2007, 05:34 PM
I am using addis size 7

Petals
02-05-2007, 05:38 PM
I'm knitting on addi's size 7. :shrug:

cindyln
02-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Thanks for telling me it is gonna be tight. I will try again.

thischicknits
02-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Thanks, Hilde! We need more pictures from the rest of you...

:poke: :poke:

Petals
02-05-2007, 06:09 PM
Thanks, Hilde! We need more pictures from the rest of you...

:poke: :poke:

:roflhard: Why anyone would want my terrible photography is beyond me. But here goes!!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-05-2007, 06:42 PM
:inlove:

My stitches were tight when I joined and I had to biggerize the pattern and CO 144!

I went to UY today, and there's more tigerlilly if you're interested... I had to find a skein of the same dyelot just to make sure I'd have enough.

Petals
02-05-2007, 06:53 PM
oooooooooooh do you think there is at least 5 skeins???

thischicknits
02-05-2007, 07:01 PM
:drool: :inlove: :drool: :inlove: :drool: :inlove:

LOVE your colorway, petals!!

Petals
02-05-2007, 07:22 PM
Thanks! I hope to have it finished by St. Patty's day!!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-05-2007, 07:35 PM
oooooooooooh do you think there is at least 5 skeins???

Yep!!! there's a whole bunch!!! Go quick, they close in 25 minutes!!!!

Petals
02-05-2007, 07:51 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

You think I missed that the other day????????!!!!

Maybe I should have asked???

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-05-2007, 08:09 PM
They're not in the same spot as they were when I went in to buy them last week... they're in the top row all the way on the left, now. They were somewhere near the middle bottom before...

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-05-2007, 08:09 PM
I'll bet if you called them they'd hold some for you until you could get there to pick it up...

candicane
02-05-2007, 08:15 PM
ack. got to the arms and put it on scrap yarn. too tight under the arms. i'll have to do a couple more increases. ugh I hate putting the stitches back on the needles.

candice

Petals
02-05-2007, 08:24 PM
I'll bet if you called them they'd hold some for you until you could get there to pick it up...

You really are an enabler ( is there such a word?) :roflhard:

itsjustmeghan
02-05-2007, 11:32 PM
:pout: so jealous! i just want to get started...
i hate waiting for yarn...
how long does knitpicks usually take to ship yarn if you get hte free shipping? i'm waiting on my options set AND my yarn for this sweater....
:verysad: :wall: :!!!: :grrr: :doh: :pout:

at least i have your lovely pictures to look at! i love all the different colors! so much fun! :hug:

kristinw
02-05-2007, 11:44 PM
I'm not ready to start yet, but I bought the pattern yesterday! :cheering: I'm definitely using mmmmm, even though I have read comments on other boards that it may not be a good choice.

I'm nervous to start as I have never knitted in the round before. Oh well, it will be a learning experience!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-06-2007, 12:11 AM
I'm definitely using mmmmm, even though I have read comments on other boards that it may not be a good choice.

What boards be those? What are they saying?

Compulsive
02-06-2007, 01:26 AM
UGH! Those corssover sts are killing my fingertips. I'm using KP Options, and if I don't hurry up and finish these darned two inches, I'm going to end up with needles poking through my fingertips.

I casted on an hour ago for the 2nd time after realizing that rows 1 & 3 are different. :doh:

Back to knitting. . .

kristinw
02-06-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm definitely using mmmmm, even though I have read comments on other boards that it may not be a good choice.

What boards be those? What are they saying?

ummm, I think it was on Lime & Violet. Just that they didn't think it would be a good choice.

I just realized that I have some Araucania Atacama alpaca. I have over 1000 yards so it would definitely work for this. But I would love to be wrapped in mmmm. ugh, decisions, decisions!!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-06-2007, 01:04 PM
hmm... well mmmm does pill after being worn a lot. I'll just have to buy a sweater stone.

Instead of the crossover stitch the patern recommends, I've been doing a K2tog, then K the first st again, slipping both off the LH needle. It looks the same, and was much easier for me to execute.

jmp3775
02-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Ugh! Cant get gauge! I'm using Mmmm in Paris night, and I'm about to goto a 10.5 to try and get gauge!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-06-2007, 10:11 PM
The SAME thing happened to me!!!! I got gauge on 10.5s on my Denise set. I switched to addi naturas and was able to get gauge with a 10. Not much of a difference, but it was a little better...

What needles are you using? If you're using metal, try switching to plastic... if you're on plastic try switching to bamboo. Or another wood.

itsjustmeghan
02-06-2007, 10:54 PM
does the needle material make a big difference in gage? i would have never thought of that! :shrug:

i'm having a rough time right now. all i want to do is start this sweater, but my order is still pending....teaching knitting at work everybody else is starting new projects past their scarves, so i'm stuck helping/watching everyone else happily knit and learn new techniques! my irish hiking scarf just isn't cutting it! :pout:
i want my wicked!

cindyln
02-06-2007, 11:00 PM
I am so glad I stuck with this. I tell you the first row really frustrated me but I am now into the increases and enjoying this sweater. I am using Addis, a first and loving them. The knitpicks andean silk is a dream to work with also.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-07-2007, 12:06 AM
Meghann, I didn't think about it either. KK suggested it to me, but it makes sense... slippery metal needles are going to give you a looser gauge. When is your yarn due in????

Cindy, I'm glad you like the andean silk... it's one of my favorites!

thischicknits
02-07-2007, 12:41 AM
Yeah to all of us making Wicked!! I am getting close to the sleeve area and am excited about the way it is looking. I have begun to waiver on the sleeve length though - I was originally drawn to the short sleeve, then practicality set in and I planned to do the long sleeve. I think I would wear the SS more often as I usually roast at work and end up taking off any LS sweater I wear. Curses! I may have to make 2 after all - one SS and one LS. That would be SO rough.

:teehee:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-07-2007, 01:17 AM
Hmmm... I might make 2, too... And I have enough mmmm for a SS version too :happydance: Although... I might want to make it in a cooler fabric...

Petals
02-07-2007, 07:38 AM
I've been thinking about the SS version. I wondered about doing it in cotton fleece? I did the Green Gable pattern in that an love it.

I have a couple of rows left of the increases before I try to size it up!

jmp3775
02-07-2007, 09:25 AM
I was swatching on my Denise's. Even 10.5's were a little off! I decided to try a thicker yarn...Chunky AL. 10's were still a little off with that, too!
Guess I'll try swatching with my Options today.
Can someone explain why the pattern calls for a 32" needle? Doesnt seem right for the smaller sizes...anyone using shorter needles?

itsjustmeghan
02-07-2007, 11:32 AM
:rofl: :happydance: :cheering: it shipped!!! it shipped!!! it shipped!!! :cheering: :happydance: :rofl:

looks like they mailed my order yesterday...i wonder how long it will take? :?? oh the agony!!! :pout:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-07-2007, 12:14 PM
I guess they recommend 32" because of the largest number of sts you'll have at the end of the increases... I guess you could use a smaller one (20 or 24) and then switch when you run out of room.

The directions for the sleeves use 2 circs, so it wouldn't be too bad if you had a shorter cable anyway.

re:options.... Let me know how they work out!

cindyln
02-07-2007, 01:56 PM
I am loving this yarn and these needles. I have to post a picture of my Wicked so far. I can't believe I almost quick this project before completing the first row. My crossovers aren't perfect but in order to see that you have to get way to close.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a253/cindyln/DSCF0379.jpg

jmp3775
02-07-2007, 02:13 PM
Swatched with my Options and STILL had to go up to a 10.5! I was optimistic a 10 would do it, because when I checked with my needle gauge, the Denise went through the 10 way looser than the Options did, but alas, I still need the 10.5. Options got me closer than Denise, so I guess if I want to use my Mmmm, 10.5 it is.

jmp3775
02-07-2007, 02:22 PM
OH, for those using Malabrigo, are you working 2 balls at once? Do I really need to do this? :shrug:

Petals
02-07-2007, 02:31 PM
OH, for those using Malabrigo, are you working 2 balls at once? Do I really need to do this? :shrug:

I'm not, but mine has the same dye lot # on it. If pooling is what you mean, I don't have that ---mine has different shades of the same color.

cindyln, Looks nice. It goes pretty fast.

I would like to work on mine more but I am trying not to do so much so my wrist and arms don't hurt :verysad:

jmp3775
02-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Mine are all the same dye lot, but it was my understanding that they could still look pretty differebt knitte up because of the kettle dyeing process?

Petals
02-07-2007, 04:49 PM
:shrug: I don't know. Time will tell for me as I'm finished with the first ball. I haven't knit with any MMM that has different colors all in one skein. Mine have all been hues of the same color.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-07-2007, 05:26 PM
It won't hurt if you alternate skeins.... I would do it on EVERY round, though, because otherwise you'll have a bunch of ends to weave in, which is one of the "perks" of knitting top-down in the round. If you switch every round, you can just carry the yarn up and it won't be noticable.

Petals, you're ahead of me!!! I have't gotten anything done since I posted pictures.... it seems i'm either knitting, or surfing the site. I need to learn how to type with my toes!!

Petals
02-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Didn't get anything done today except a few rows on Eris sweater. Plan to work on Wicked a little tonight--got to watch Idol!

I have spent way tooo much time on the computer. I switched servers and just trying to get things figured out. I am sooooo stupid when it comes to "puters" as my DGD says! :wall:

Petals
02-07-2007, 09:48 PM
IT FITS!!!! :happydance: :happydance: Just finished the increases in order to try on!!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-08-2007, 01:02 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Compulsive
02-08-2007, 01:44 AM
all my MMMM...is the same dye lot and not varigated with multicolors, so I'm not going to alternate skeins.

I'm still in the mix, knitted & placed my stitch markers for sleeves, back & front IN THE WRONG PLACE, because I can't count. :doh: I casted on 136 sts instead of 132. So, I did a k2tog over 8 sts on the backside. :oops: Then I used hot pink clip on row counters as the 'real' stitch markers. I'm scared to keep knitting, but I must, as this is my first sweater knitted in the round. I'll re-elvaluate the dammage in the morning.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-08-2007, 10:58 AM
:pout:

I think you might have to rip back past the k2togs that you put in :pout:

For top down sweaters, it doens't really matter if the stitch count is right, it just matters if you increase enough so that it fits in your armpits. The 36 stitches will just give you a bigger neck opening--by about an inch, so no big deal.

I'd hate for you to start totally over, so try just ripping back to the row after the collar. Hopefully that works. Might be a good idea to check out amy's video on fixing mistakes.

Compulsive
02-08-2007, 12:13 PM
Actually, you can't tell, well I can't see the mistake, as I only decreaed 4 stitches: 136-132= 4. So, I'm not going to rip back a row. I've done 8 rounds, and the yoke likes fine.

itsjustmeghan
02-08-2007, 05:10 PM
hey illinois folks,
anybody have an idea of how long it takes to get your order from knitpicks after they status it shipped? :shrug:

i'm so jealous reading about your progress on the sweaters...i do love the photos, though. SO PRETTY!

anyone planning on doing alterations to the pattern?
i'm just making mine a lot longer. i like my sweaters to go down a little onto the tops of my hips...might have to make some increases or something to give these bad boys some room, though! :teehee:

itsjustmeghan
02-08-2007, 05:34 PM
GUH! i just looked at the detailed thing for knitpicks shipping, and it says that they are going to send it usps...they just notified them about it...it hasn't actually left yet! :wall:

oh well...
i frogged my irish hiking scarf, and decided to knit up a my so called scarf instead...
that should tide me over, right?! HA!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-08-2007, 07:42 PM
Knitpicks shipping takes FOR :!!!: INGEVER, so I *always* make sure I buy enough fr the free shipping and then upgrade to the 2-day. :shrug: Hope you get it soon!!

actually knit a row today :doh: Tomorrow I will have some knitting time, so I'm going to get a chunk done.

I am planning on making mine longer too, BUT I'm not sure how much yarn I'll have left over... so I'm going to knit it to length, put it on waste yarn, then do the sleeves, and see how much yarn I have after that. ANd I'll be adding in some extra increases for my bootie as well :teehee:

itsjustmeghan
02-08-2007, 10:20 PM
were you planning on putting in markers and increasing 4 places around, kinda like for the shoulders? or were you going to add short rows? or just increase periodically?
i'm not sure how to change patterns like that...not enough experience making sweaters just yet.
you, hilde, seem like a knitting genius! :cheering:

thischicknits
02-08-2007, 10:31 PM
I have decided to go with the short sleeve version with the Malabrigo - which will leave me plenty of room to futz with the length. I usually do not like the length of most patterns...

candicane
02-08-2007, 10:38 PM
I just did the decrease section and of course screwed up. Instead of a 3 row program of decrease (decrease row, knit row, knit row), I did a decrease row, knit row, repeat. It still fits, but I think I am going to rip back. If I do, I think I will also add another inch before starting the decreases. I am making the small but 3.5 inches is short for me. (If I measured myself correctly.)

candice

candicane
02-08-2007, 10:55 PM
As I look at the decreases, I think they don't look that great. I have never done a sweater with shaping before, so I don't have anything to compare it to. Is this how shaping is usually done, it seems like I should be decreases on each side of each side marker. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

candice

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-08-2007, 11:36 PM
were you planning on putting in markers and increasing 4 places around, kinda like for the shoulders? or were you going to add short rows? or just increase periodically?
i'm not sure how to change patterns like that...not enough experience making sweaters just yet.
you, hilde, seem like a knitting genius! :cheering:

:aww: thanks!

I'm actually just going to follow the directions in the pattern; it says you can add hip shaping by doing the increases every 3rd round, like the decreases for the waist shaping.

ALSO, re: waist shaping, I'm NOT going to do a K2tog on both sides of the marker... I'm going to ssk, sm, k2tog (or is that the other way around?). I think that will look nicer.

thischicknits
02-09-2007, 12:45 AM
You guys seem so much further along than me! I am about 4 rows away from measuring for the sleeves - how far along are you all?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-09-2007, 12:58 AM
I'm abotu 10 million rows away from measuring :teehee: I'm just planning ahead!

Petals
02-09-2007, 09:14 AM
I'm about 4 inches from the armhole ready to decrease. I will try on again before I do this.

candicane
02-09-2007, 09:36 AM
Anyone have the pattern handy. I think the decreases said knit to marker, sm, k2og. Knit to 2 stitches before marker, k2tog, sm. Can someone check to see if I am remembering this correctly?

In this case you are decreases 2 sitches per round. If you decrease on both sides of the marker (which i think will also look nicer) you end up decreasing by 4 on each round. I think I read in another pattern to knit to 3 stitches before marker, k2tog, sm, k1, ssk. I'll see if I can find where I read that.

Candice

cindyln
02-10-2007, 04:50 PM
a question for anyone that has gotten to the arms.The pattern says at this point you can try on the sweater. How do you do this without loosing stitches off the needles? I tried to try it on last night and about had heart failure when I saw stitches coming off the needle.

Petals
02-10-2007, 04:54 PM
You can either put your stitches on waste yarn or I put half my stitches on one needle the used another needle to put the other half on . Just easier than put my stitches back on the needle from waste yarn.

cindyln
02-10-2007, 06:06 PM
ok I tried it on without loosing any stitches. :cheering: It fits really good under the arms and the neck is perfect but I see where I am goingto need a little increasing across the boobs. What is the best way for me to do this?? I am waiting to hear from you experts before I go any further. I a very happy with this sweater and don't want to screw it up.

Petals
02-10-2007, 07:40 PM
I'm so glad it fits!!!!

But, I'll defer to the "experts" for the increasing. I like the M1 to increase though.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-11-2007, 12:56 AM
I would use shoert row shaping across the bustline. There's a great explanation of it in the book Big Girl Knits, which I have at my house, but I'm at KK's house right now... I'm sure there's articles on it if you google "short row bust shaping" or "short row bust darts".

A fit tip I got from a knitter at Chix: the raglan "seams" (the increases) should meet comfortably, with whatever ease you like, at the underarms. If the seams meet tightly, then the arms will be tight. I'm glad she told me, because I wouldn't have thought it made a difference. :shrug:

jmp3775
02-11-2007, 11:08 AM
1 more row until I can try it on! But my little squirt just woke up from his nap, so it may be awhile :pout:

jmp3775
02-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Yay! It fits! :cheering:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-11-2007, 02:21 PM
Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :cheering:

Here's Margaret (thischicknits) and I showing off our progress at Chix on Friday.

Petals
02-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Looks great gals!! Everyones colors are beautiful.

I'm doing the decreases now. Had to take an extra tuck.

itsjustmeghan
02-11-2007, 02:31 PM
they all look awesome :cheering:

jmp, what yarn did you end up using?

jmp3775
02-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Malabrigo in Paris Night

candicane
02-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Looks great gals!! Everyones colors are beautiful.

I'm doing the decreases now. Had to take an extra tuck.

Are you doing the decreases as written in the pattern or did you change them?

Candice

Petals
02-11-2007, 09:25 PM
K2 tog. as instructed.

But in my case---I tried it on the first time and found that I really needed to decrease and fast--So don't do as I did--The first round of decreasing I decreased on each side of the marker for one round (which I should have known better) It left a more noticeable decrease. I didn't go back and fix it because it is so far under my arm. And I did have to decrease 7 times just to get a more comfortable fit for me. I have broad shoulders and no meat on the ribs! But I have tried it on several times I just have about another inch or so and on to the finishing. But I think it will go onto waste yarn and then I will knit the sleeves. This way if I have enough yarn to make longer I will.

candicane
02-11-2007, 11:28 PM
I decreased on both sides of the marker. (k2 ssk) It is noticeable, but I think I can live with it and I like that is more fitted. I decreased 12 stitches instead of 10.

I just measured myself and I definitely have to make it longer. I'm making the small and a final length (from under the arm) of 12.25 inches is pretty short--and I always thought my torso was short.

candice

Petals
02-12-2007, 03:31 PM
Here's the progress so far.

jmp3775
02-12-2007, 03:34 PM
That looks great! What length sleeve are you doing?

Petals
02-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Thanks! The long sleeve version.

cindyln
02-12-2007, 03:50 PM
well I ripped mine all out this morning. I tried it on again and the raglans under the sleeves weren't meeting comfortably. I am not good at ripping back partially so I restarted making the next larger size. Wish me luck.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-12-2007, 04:21 PM
:pout: cindy :hug:

Petals, it looks great!!!!!! :happydance:

cindyln
02-12-2007, 05:53 PM
The collar went much easier this time. It is the perfect day for staying home and knitting. Raining now and snow coming and hubby gone for th week. I hope to get alot done on Wicked this week.

itsjustmeghan
02-12-2007, 06:18 PM
ohhhh....such a bummer you had to frog! i hate doing that!

called knitpicks to see if they could tell me what method they used to ship...whenever i see USPS usually it means they sent it priority which takes about 3 business days...not them. apparently they slap a stamp on it and send it on it's way...i wouldn't be surprised if it showed up via carrier pigeon it's taking so long! :doh: :??
i'm really hoping it shows up pretty soon. i want to get started on it. if it shows up today i'll be set for tomorrow. i'm anticipating a snow day.
you got the right idea there, cindy! stay in and knit!

petals, it looks great!

for those knitting already,
does the pattern knit up pretty true to size? i know with the tubey, for example, it was knitting up really big for people...just curious!

cindyln
02-12-2007, 06:33 PM
The only drawback to Knitpicks is their SLOW free shipping. Never use the free shipping if you want your order quick

itsjustmeghan
02-12-2007, 09:21 PM
lesson learned!!!

well, it got here!
:cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance:
my yarn looks great. my needles look awesome. i can't wait to try them out! i'm going to swatch tonight, and hopefully if we get snowed in tomorrow, i can caston finally!

question for options owners, do you take hte needles out of the size card that they ship them in? or do you leave them in there? i'm thinking i'll leave them on that card just because its a quick reference. there's no indicator on the needles to know what size they are...
just curious.

i'm going to swatch in the round, 3 different sized needles at one time. hopefully i'll figure out what i need to do fast so i can get going! yeah!

:happydance: :rofl:

Petals
02-12-2007, 10:38 PM
:happydance: :cheering:

Options have been on my wish list for a long time!! Lucky you!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-12-2007, 11:15 PM
hooray!!!!

I have to say, this is the most fun KAL I've done in a while!!! I'm so glad everyone is so enthused!!!

itsjustmeghan
02-12-2007, 11:23 PM
:oops:
i'm glad to hear that, because i honestly thought to myself "these people are going to think i'm crazy!" with all my posts BEFORE I EVEN HAVE YARN IN HAND! :roflhard:

i'm obsessed!

the options? are AWESOME! they feel like addi's just a little more pointy. i wasn't sure how i'd like them as interchangeables, but compared to the denises i had (and sold so i could get these :teehee: ) they are awesome. much more secure then the denise set. i wonder, do people knit everything on their options?

hildegard, the andean silk? its SO soft! and wonderful to knit with! i'm already planning on ordering some more to make the tubey with. and i'm sure i'll find more sweaters i NEED to make out of this yarn! thanks so much for the recommendation and the encouragement that it wasn't going to be itchy.

swatching is done. i just need to find a tape measure and see where i'm at. i knit up in the round with 7, 8 and 9....hopefully i won't have to swatch anymore and just caston already!!

thank you all for tolerating my craziness! :doh: you are all awesome! :notworthy:

Compulsive
02-13-2007, 12:43 AM
:cheering: on everyone's progress--love the photos. Cindy, hang in there, I ripped back twice already, and still enthused about my progress. My daily routine is quite busy playing taxi to three children in activities. Once I have them all dropped off, it's time to go fetch the first child. So, I'm not able to knit between 5p.m. & 9:00 p.m. most days.

I'm trying to get 4 rounds done in the morning and 4 rounds done at night all this week. Wish me luck!

candicane
02-13-2007, 10:08 AM
Progess Pics! I am at about 10 inches of the body. Sorry I can't do a model shot for you guys, but I think it would be inappropriate to do in my office!

Candice

jmp3775
02-13-2007, 10:16 AM
I didnt keep my Options on the card- I ordered extra 3 section sleeves, and I have 2 sets of needles in each pocket, along with the ID tags. The way I did it so it would be easy to identify the needle size was put the largest and smallest together- so the first pocket has size 4 and 17. Next pocket has 5 and 15, 6 and 13, 7 and 11, 8 and 10.5, 9 and 10. The only one I need to check the needle gauge for is the 9 and 10. Then I put the cables in the 2 pocket sleeves ( I ordered extra of these, also, so each cable length has its own pocket. It works for me. Good luck organizing and enjoy your needles!

Petals
02-13-2007, 10:32 AM
candicane, That looks wonderful. I love the color. :heart:

What is the yarn and color? I scanned the post to see if I could find out but not seeing it. Your tension looks so nice. :thumbsup:

candicane
02-13-2007, 10:38 AM
The yarn is from 100purewool.com. It is the same as Malabrigo, different name. The colorway is called Rubor. I got this last fall and was actually kind of bummed that the colorway was not what I thought it would be. So into the stash it went and sat. Now that I have knit it up, I love it! I have about 660 yards of it, so I can definitely do the short sleeve, 3/4 if I am lucky. I am not doing the pocket.

Candice

itsjustmeghan
02-13-2007, 01:31 PM
LOVE the color, candicane!!! love it!

no snow day today. i'll be lucky if we can get out of here early. if that's the case, i'm going to caston!

XbelovedXoneX
02-13-2007, 02:25 PM
candicane - how do you like the 100purewool? How's their shipping/customer service? I've heard of them... but I've never ordered from them. After looking at their site I am very tempted!

candicane
02-13-2007, 02:43 PM
I have ordered from them a couple of times. You do need to be very patient. It takes about 3 weeks for an order to arrive. I have emailed with customer service and they have always resonded very quickly. However, Sandra's (customer service) English is pretty shaky.

None of my LYS carry Malabrigo, so I would have to order it anyway. Depending on how much you order from 100purewool determines the shipping. They shipping may seem high, but I have averaged out my per skein cost usually between $8-9.

I have fondled the Malabrigo IRL and I swear this is exactly the same. I also think the selection of colorways at 100purewool is better than what I have seen offered from various internet yarn stores.

It is wonderful and soft to work with. I did have one skein that was pretty tangly when I tried to wind it. Took me a little longer than usual, but not a huge disaster.

Candice

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-13-2007, 06:39 PM
WOW!!!!! It looks great!!!

Meghan, I'm glad you like the Andean Silk. It's one of my favorite yarns!

itsjustmeghan
02-13-2007, 11:16 PM
HELP!
i've casted on and torn out 2 times...
and i think i've discovered the problem.
i'm doing the 40-43 size, so i cast on 132 stitches...
well, problem is, the ribbing at the top is an 8 stitch pattern...
so i'm short 4 stitches in the pattern.
do i just rib for the back section, and have a section with no twist? or do i just caston 136? or would it be better to go down to 128?
i just don't want to mess myself up before the increases, or make my neckline too big or too small...
am i worrying for nothing?

i'm going back through the posts here, because i think someone asked this before...

itsjustmeghan
02-13-2007, 11:23 PM
well i found this on their website.

http://www.zephyrstyle.com/board/board_topic/3278548/217572.htm

they're kinda specific about why they did what they did...should i just suck it up and deal with the lack of cables in the back?
i'm just worried it'll look like i messed up! :pout:

cindyln
02-13-2007, 11:27 PM
I cast on 132. The back of the collar doesn't cable like the front but it looks ok to . Someone would have to get really close to notice.

Petals
02-13-2007, 11:38 PM
I see what their reasoning was, but I was more comfortable with an 8 stitch pattern. I was to CO 124 but did 128 then adjusted down. I neckline turned out okay.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-13-2007, 11:47 PM
I think in the long run, it won't matter which one you do... remember, YOU'RE the one knitting it and YOU'RE the one wearing it; do what makes YOU happy.

thischicknits
02-14-2007, 12:57 AM
Candice - beautiful work! I have completed the decrease rows and will try to take new pictures soon - the weather here was crappy today and I had no energy to futz with the camera.

I can't wait til we all have FO's! :happydance:

candicane
02-14-2007, 09:02 AM
SNOW DAY!

Ok, so not really, but I am going to email my boss to tell him I am having one. My daughter's daycare is closed, my husband works at a university which is closed and there is 3 foot drift in our driveway. I think it would be unfair if I should have to go. We're going to make some Valentine's Day cookies instead.

On a knitty note: I CO the 124 and I cannot tell that anything is amiss in the back. Thanks for the compliments on my progress. I am about to start the seed stitch on the bottom, then weigh my remaining yarn to decide how long I can make the sleeves.

candice

Petals
02-14-2007, 09:10 AM
Happy Valentine's Day everyone! :heart: :heart:

One more sleeve to go!

jmp3775
02-14-2007, 09:55 AM
I was supposed to cast on 124, but I did the 128 so the pattern would repeat. I know nobody would notice, but I'm a little anal.

itsjustmeghan
02-14-2007, 10:18 AM
i think i'm going to go with the 128. if i go up to 136 that's 2 sizes larger then mine, so i think one size smaller is the way to go. i know noone else would notice it, but it'll bug me to no end.

i'm exhausted. i want to say i'll be able to knit tonight, but dh kept me up all last night. he has a stomach flu...i'm hoping that i don't get it...and more importantly i hope owen doesn't get it. i don't know if i'll be able to caston tonight... :pout: :!!!: i hate when my family gets sick...
i'm ready for spring already! the snow is pretty, but i want to open my windows and air the cooties out of my house!!!

jmp3775
02-14-2007, 11:37 AM
When my DH had the stomach bug a couple of weeks ago, I slept on the couch with the baby :teehee: . And I followed him with a can of Lysol. He had our bedroom to himself for 2 days. My 2 yr old didnt even know Daddy was home because I was trying to keep us all away from the germs! And then I made him wash the sheets and the clothes he wore because I didnt want the germs to get me!
Admittedly, I am a germaphobe, but ESPECIALLY when it has to do with puking- to me there is nothing worse than that feeling, or having to clean it up ( if the kiddies get it).
Hope everyone stays healthy!

candicane
02-14-2007, 06:22 PM
Petals,

Did you do any decreases on the arms? I think I am going to need some.

I plan on decreasing every 8 rows on the arms. What kind of decrease should I use? I thought I had a raglan pattern somewhere that used decreases on the arms, but haven't found it in my piles yet.

candice

Petals
02-14-2007, 06:36 PM
Yeah, I had to decrease. I don't know if this was the thing to do but, I did the k2tog. I had 56 st. to start with and went down to 50 but I did it every other row. The every 8 rows sounds good, I just thought mine was so big at the top. Then when I got down towards the end I decreased a few then did my edging.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-14-2007, 09:09 PM
If you're not sure how much/when to decrease/what kind to use, you can also just change needle sizes. Experiment first to make sure you're not going to make it too tight.

I do this to add waist shaping without interrupting the stitch pattern.

candicane
02-14-2007, 10:36 PM
I posted in the How To forum and KnitQueen suggested k2tog, ssk for the decreases.

I just started my first sleeve and learned knitting in the round on two circulars! It's a little bit of a slow go getting used to the dangly cables and the fact that the cat won't get off my lap. I think he is enjoying my warm sweater!

I really want 3/4 length sleeves but think I probably don't have enough yarn. I had 56 grams when I started the sleeve and will see how much I have left. I will probably have to frog most of this sleeve and just go with the short sleeves.

candice

thischicknits
02-14-2007, 11:46 PM
I've gone wishy-washy again on my sleeves but think that I will decide on 3/4 length as well. I don't want them long, I like the short, but I think I'll get most use out of the 3/4. Haven't gotten that far yet though so there is still time to change my mind.... :teehee:

itsjustmeghan
02-15-2007, 10:47 AM
casted on lastnight and did 128. did a few rounds before i fell asleep.
woke up this morning with the stomach flu, thanks dh. he's still sick, so we sent owen off to my mil's house for the day. i want to knit. but can't...feel so sick...posting is taking more effort then it should.
happy knitting you healthy people!
keep those fingers crossed that owen doesn't get this crap....

debstein
02-15-2007, 11:29 AM
I am loving this pattern :heart: - I got a late start on it and just finished the collar detail, working on the increases now. I'm knitting the long sleeved version with the pocket.
My yarn is the incredibly cheap Caron Simply Soft, and I am loving it! It was splitting a bit during the CO and I worried, but once the knitting actually started, it came together like a dream, the fabric has a great feel and the stitch detail looks wonderful. I can't believe I never used this yarn on anything before! It's definitely the best acrylic yarn I've ever tried. :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:
I'll try to take a picture this afternoon, after I've gotten a bit further along.

itsjustmeghan
02-15-2007, 10:33 PM
i did get a couple rows in today.
i have a question....is it normal for there to be a lot of space between your knit stitches and your purl stitches in a rib? i've knit up tons of ribbed scarves and stuff, and i don't know if maybe i just didn't pay attention, but this time i'm noticing a gap between each one. i've tried all my tricks to tighten it up, but no luck. it's like the purl stitches just won't pull over to the knit stitches....
any tips on how to fix that? i'm hoping i don't have to tear out again...
it looks fine, i just worry because i want my sweater to turn out great.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-16-2007, 12:07 AM
sometimes when you're doing cables, the twist makes a gap between that and the next set of stitches... I think it works itself out with practice.

Don't rip; it'll block out.

itsjustmeghan
02-16-2007, 07:38 AM
thanks, hilde!
staying home sick again today...hopefully i'll get the next few rows or edging done, place my markers, and start the increases....
wishful thinking....

candicane
02-16-2007, 09:58 AM
I finished my first sleeve last night. I wanted 3/4 length and they hit just below my elbow. I weighed what is left of my arm and I think I can just barely squeek by. Ideally I'd like the sleeve to be about an inch or two longer. Think I can block the length by that much?

candice

cindyln
02-16-2007, 02:12 PM
well I am back to knitting around for the body. I tried it on and the fit was better. Now playing catch up.

itsjustmeghan
02-16-2007, 06:38 PM
finished the edge and got into the increases. owen is on his way now, and i can't wait to see him! (funny how much you miss your little guys when they're gone for a few hours). i'm hoping to get some knitting in tonight too after he goes to bed.
i'll try to post pictures sometime this weekend.
hilde, you're right. hte cables look fine now. i guess i was just worried it'd look silly..

looking forward. i've never officially blocked anything. anybody have any good websites with details on how to do this? i've read up on it before, and i've heard so many different versions of how to do it...what do you recommend?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-16-2007, 09:58 PM
Steam blocking vs. wet blocking (http://wendyco.com/thoughts/2006/01/blocking.php)
I usually use wet blocking. Steam blocking is good for lace... if you're using acrylic yarn, and decide to go for steam blocking, DON'T get the iron too close to your sweater or it will melt. Also, for pinning, make sure you use rust-proof pins.

Re: sleeves... if there is a difference of less than an inch, you can block then to the right size. If it's 1 inch or more you'll have to reknit (or get wierd looks from people). To make sure you have equal ammounts of yarn to use, if you have to reknit, you can wind your sleeve yarn into a double stranded ball... then find the loop that marks the halfway point, cut it, and then reqind again into two separate but equel length balls.

Petals
02-16-2007, 11:06 PM
Blocked my sweater this afternoon. Had DH take a picture to send to my DD but it didn't turn out too good. So after the drying I hope to take another pic. :happydance:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-17-2007, 02:59 PM
sheesh... I had typos out the you-know-where in that last post!!!

I've made progress... I'll try to take a picture before I leave Ang's house.

Petals, did you take a pic yet????? :tap:

Petals
02-17-2007, 04:53 PM
This is before blocking

kristinw
02-17-2007, 05:15 PM
Oh that looks fabulous!! :heart: :cheering: I can't wait to start mine!!

cindyln
02-17-2007, 05:21 PM
that is beautiful!!! How did you do the cuffs and bottom band?? Ribbing or the mock cables?

itsjustmeghan
02-17-2007, 06:05 PM
petals it's beautiful!!! i was planning on doing the cables on the bottom of the sweater too. it turned out great!
here's my progress so far

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-17-2007, 08:20 PM
Petals, it's GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!! :inlove: But whre's your head? :??

Meghan, yours looks great!

Petals
02-17-2007, 10:23 PM
I take terrible pictures!!!! But I had DH take the picture to so I could e-mail my DD so she could see my hair. I recently had about 8 inches cut off. So while I was at it I put the sweater on so I could show her. I was'nt going to post a picture of it until I had it blocked. Oh well---

I did mock cables at the sleeve cuffs and at the hem. I have some other yarn I think would make a nice wicked (isn't that an oxymoron). :teehee: It will be in a different gauge though.

Your sweater is looking good, Meghan :thumbsup:

thischicknits
02-17-2007, 11:13 PM
Petals - WOW-EE! It really looks great! Congratulations

Meghan - I love your color choice. Can't wait to see more as it progresses. I wanted to snap a pic today but didn't get a chance - hopefully tomorrow I can.

candicane
02-18-2007, 12:22 AM
I'm done!

Hildy, thanks for the tips on how much I can block and dividing the yarn. I'll keep this in mind for the future. Unfortunately lack of yarn was my problem. I had three skeins and it just didn't quite make for 3/4 length sleeves. (I have freakishly long arms) I did add an inch to the length of the sweater, if I hadn't I probably could have had the sleeves. Oh well.

Since I didn't want to look like I had stretched out sleeves, I frogged back and reknit the cables on what is now my short sleeve sweater without a pocket.

Blocking tomorrow and pics soon! I hope I am getting some Supermerino for my birthday! Have to wait until Mar. 3 though.

Petals, beautiful job! I love the color.

candice

Petals
02-18-2007, 12:28 AM
Thanks, candice, can't wait to see yours! :happydance:

itsjustmeghan
02-18-2007, 08:16 AM
yeah candice! i can't wait to see pictures!

hilde? thischicknits? are we going to get to see pictures soon? :shrug:

i'm getting close to seperating the arms out. its getting really tight on my cable! :pout: not sure how that's goig to work. i think i have about 6 more increases to do before i get to seperate them out. i'm definately going to try it on at that point, though...want to make sure the armpits are cool, and the girls will have enough room.....is anybody adding short rows for more chest room??
have you guys ever blocked the sweater to get more room in that area?

ps. thanks for the link hilde. that's the easiest blocking method i've heard yet. every other one i've seen involves soaking the sweater, towels, and whatnot!

debstein
02-18-2007, 11:55 AM
Here's mine! I'm almost ready to begin the shaping. Still really enjoying the pattern and the resulting fabric. Can't wait to start working on the pocket, getting tired of plain stockinette knitting. :teehee:

itsjustmeghan
02-18-2007, 01:09 PM
you just passed me up deb!
i'm 6 rounds away from splitting off the sleeves! :cheering:

jmp3775
02-18-2007, 01:39 PM
Everyones sweaters look great! I need to take a new pic of mine, but I bound off the body Thursday afternoon. Havent had much time to work on the sleeves because my little ones Baptism was yesterday. Hoping to get them done this week!

thischicknits
02-18-2007, 04:05 PM
Deb - great work! What yarn are you using? The color looks so nice and soft.

Petals
02-18-2007, 04:21 PM
Tried my sweater on after blocking and it's too big at the neck and sleeves! :verysad: Really it could be a little smaller all around. So, may try to re-do the blocking. :pout:

jmp3775
02-18-2007, 08:35 PM
I bet reblocking would help. I dont even know if I will block mine. Unblocked, I can get the neckline over my shoulders- it is very stretchy and pretty wide. Not done with the sleeves yet.

cindyln
02-18-2007, 10:48 PM
I am down to where I am doing increases at the waistline. I did 1 round using the m1 increase and am not happy with it .This increase leaves a little hole. Do you think the k1f&b would be a better increase??

Compulsive
02-18-2007, 11:27 PM
I'm thinking about using M1B/M1F increases following Amy's videos here:

Amy's Increase page (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/increase.php)

jmp3775
02-19-2007, 09:15 AM
I didnt get holes with the increases. Are you knitting it through the back loop to close it up?

Compulsive
02-20-2007, 02:34 PM
I need my hand held, as I'm ready to--ACK--place the sleeve stitches on waste yarn. I'm taking a deeeeep breath and putting my sweater down until tomorrow morning.

I plan to use ML, if possible, or 2 circs for the sleeves. Can I just place the stitches on extra 32in. Option cables & cap the cables off?

thischicknits
02-20-2007, 02:55 PM
Hey compulsive -
I used a tapestry needle to thread waste yarn through the sleeve stitches and it worked fine. Don't worry about it - just go slow and be careful. Let us know how it turned out!

I am almost to the bottom of the body - will wait fir Hilde's eyes tomorrow for a 2nd opinion - I hear she may have one... :teehee:

cindyln
02-20-2007, 11:26 PM
I just bound off the body. I will start the sleeves tomorrow. I haven't used 2 circular needles before. Why can't the sleeve be knitted in the round on 1 circular?

Petals
02-20-2007, 11:50 PM
Usually, the sleeve of a sweater is smaller than a 16 inches around so that is why they tell you to use 2. I know they sell 12 inch circulars but I think they would be harder to knit on than just using 2.

But, I used magic loop method that uses one circular needle. I use this on my socks too.

thischicknits
02-21-2007, 12:19 AM
I am planning to use dpn's for the sleeves. I haven't used 2 circ's before b/c it seems like to many things pointing at me! I'd love to hear what others are using.

And I may be a dope, but I really don't know what the magic loop is - heard of it, but never looked into it... :shrug:

Petals
02-21-2007, 09:29 AM
Amy has a video on magic loop knitting under Advanced techniques. It has been my preferred method since I learned how.

itsjustmeghan
02-21-2007, 10:11 AM
i tried my sweater on this weekend and took pictures. i'll see if i can post them after work tonight. i'm really excited about the way it's fitting so far! i'll definately need to do some decreases for my waist, though.

i'll be using magic loop for the sleeves. only 2 needle points to worry about. that's a LOT less then 4 points on 2 circulars or 8 points on dpns!
plus, you can use the same circular needles you used on the body!
i'm all for recycling! hahaha.

cindyln
02-21-2007, 01:47 PM
Heres a picture of the body. I am working on the sleeve using 1 circular needle. It is the right length and so far working out good. I did a 3x2 rib at the bottom of the body instead of the seed stitch.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a253/cindyln/DSCF0381.jpg[/img]

ecuzzacrea
02-21-2007, 01:58 PM
I just ordered the pattern and some KnitPicks Superwash Swish. I'm sure it won't be here for a couple of weeks, but that's good because I can't start yet.

I've been dying to do this, but I'm back in school so my free time is gone. :!!!: I'm hoping to work on this over the next few months though. It seems like a quick knit.

aprildavis99
02-21-2007, 02:28 PM
OOOH. Very nice Cindy. I love the tan color. :cheering:

Petals
02-21-2007, 02:48 PM
Very nice! :thumbsup:

I have re- blocked mine in hopes it will fit better now. this was so much fun to knit. I think I'll do another one!

itsjustmeghan
02-21-2007, 04:16 PM
:pout:
i can't see cindy's sweater!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Cindy, it looks great!!!!

Amy's video on small diameter knitting with 2 circulars is really good; that's how I learned, and I use that method for almost everything.

I *finally* finished doing the bust darts and the incs for the sleeves. I'll try it on tonight and take pics!!!

cindyln
02-21-2007, 10:52 PM
I finished 1 sleeve today. I did the crossover pattern and ended it right above the elbow. Forgive the blurry pictures,hubby not a photographer. Hope to finish the other sleeve tomorrow so I can block it over the weekend while I am working.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a253/cindyln/DSCF0385.jpg

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-22-2007, 12:35 AM
WOW cindy!!! Looks fabulous. Is that the short sleeve version, or did you make up your own length or what? That's about where I want mind to end--JUST at the elbow.

Margaret (thischickints) and I got to show off our progress tonight at Chix!!! It was good to see her :heart: AND her gorgeous sweater. She's almost done, and it looks :inlove: beautiful.

I finally put the sleeves on waste yarn, and now have a bajillioneleventyplex rounds of stockinette to do :thud:

cindyln
02-22-2007, 11:06 AM
the sleeve is in between the short and 3/4 length. I just measured where I wanted it to end and figured in the 2 inch border. The sleeve is 26 rows of knit above the border.

candicane
02-22-2007, 11:42 AM
I wore my Wicked yesterday. Unfortunately I was too busy at work to get someone to take a picture. I'm aiming for a photo opportunity on Saturday. I love the the color and the way it fits!

Cindlyn, the sleeve length looks good on you! I tried a length like that and it did not look as nice on me.

candice

thischicknits
02-22-2007, 10:21 PM
Cindy - it looks good, even blurry!

I am working on the edging of the bottom then the 3/4 sleeves. I probably need to work a bit tonight so hopefully I'll get more done this weekend.

itsjustmeghan
02-22-2007, 10:42 PM
yeah cindy! i can see the pictures while i'm at home. looks great! i like the sleeve length too. i'm going for a longer body, so maybe sleeves that length would look better? i guess we'll just have to see how much yarn i have! hahaha

i'm trying to finish my so called scarf so i can mail that to my friend. her birthday was 2 weeks ago! and then i have ds's 1st birthday on saturday, so i've been trying to plan that.

here's pictures of what i have done so far

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-23-2007, 01:14 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

jmp3775
02-23-2007, 10:46 AM
Well, Its been over a week since I bound off the body, and I still havent completed 1 sleeve! I guess the knitting time has been limited, but I also think that the 2 circs slows me down. I dont mind hours of boring stockinette, but because I have to move the stitches back and forth it keeps me from getting in my groove. Hopefully this weekend I will get some good knitting time in!

debstein
02-23-2007, 11:04 AM
Jenn,
What did you do at the bottom of your sweater, it looks like ribbing? I have just started on the pocket now, and trying to decide what to do about the bottom edge.

itsjustmeghan
02-23-2007, 11:10 AM
so cute, jen!!! i really like the way it fits. the collar looks great, and i actually like the length of that one sleeve you're working on....3/4 sleeves look good with this sweater!
i find i really enjoy knitting stockinette too...kinda like i don't need to think and can zone out while i'm doing it!

i'm worried mine will be a little big....i don't want to frog it though....hilde, you mentioned switching to smaller needles to help with the sizing, should i do that AND decreases after the fabric passes up the girls the rest of the way? or just do that with no decreases?
i want it to fit, not tight, but enough so you can see i'm a curvy girl not a box, ya know?

okay....after the birthday party tomorrow, i'll get my stitch on! (i might post pictures of a cake covered owen if you fellow Wickeds are interested too! :teehee: )

jmp3775
02-23-2007, 11:39 AM
Deb,
I repeated the cable pattern at the bottom, and will do the same on the sleeve. No pocket for me. Still hanging on to some baby pounds (4 mos later :grrr: ), and didnt want the pocket there to accentuate my little fat pocket.
Meghan,
Definitely post Owens cake pics! Have fun at the bday party! Are you feeling emotional? My older sons !st bday was very emotional for me. Its the realization that they are getting older and time is going so fast :verysad:. My husband thought I was nuts, but I spent that whole day reminiscing about the day he was born..."Hey Bob, at this time we were driving to the hospital", "Hey Bob, at this time we were waiting for th OR to open up". Actually, I spent his 2nd bday doing the same thing :rofl: !

debstein
02-23-2007, 12:05 PM
:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: AAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHH!

I've frogged the pocket twice now - the first time, I just screwed up the pattern, then I got into the swing of the stitch pattern and knitted happily along to row 23 - checked the instructions to find that I should have been increasing 1 stitch in certain rows beginning in row 7!!@!!

Back to the frog pond. :!!!: :!!!: :!!!:

thischicknits
02-23-2007, 07:44 PM
Deb - hang in there...the frogging will be worth the finished product!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-23-2007, 08:24 PM
:pout: :hug: Deb!!!

Meghann, I would do one or the other, either go down a needle size or do the decreases. If you saved your gauge swatch, you should be able to tell how much of a difference in inches changing needle size will make. I'm going to do it this way, because there isn't a "side seam" and doing decreases will create one. (I just thought of that yesterday).

The only disatvantage I can see with changing needle size is that you may have a more dramatic/faster size change. A more presice and gradual change can be made with decreases.