PDA

View Full Version : Yarn choice for Knitty "Brown Bag"

cookworm
01-16-2007, 10:22 AM
I saw Knitty's lunch bag (http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTbrownbag.html) and thought it was a clever solution to the disappearing lunch bags at my house too! :teehee:

Maybe I'm being kind of a cheapskate, but the yarn cost at around $14 seems kind of pricey to me. Yes, I realize it will be used over and over again, but lunch bags are pretty cheap (just usually something I forget to buy at the store while I'm there!), and I can't see it paying for itself unless it were to last through a ton of lunches. I'd need to make two of these, and at almost $30...well, I was hoping to keep the project cost a bit lower.

The pattern calls for Cascade 128, which is a chunky yarn (3 sts / 1" on size 10 [6.5mm] needles). Is there a cheaper wool yarn I can use for this that anybody knows of that would be a good substitute?

Cristy
01-16-2007, 10:29 AM
WOTA (Wool of the Andies) from Knit Picks is 100% peruvian wool and comes in chunky weight now...It would be MUCH cheaper...

ChroniclesofYarnia
01-16-2007, 10:29 AM
The knitpicks bulky yarns are that gauge. You could also check out what's on sale over at Elann through their yarn search engine.

HamaLee
01-16-2007, 11:30 AM
You could probably use a cheap worsted and double strand it to get gauge/sturdiness... :shrug:

koolbreeze
01-16-2007, 01:56 PM
i used WOTA. it says gauge doesn't matter on the pattern... i think i saw that!