PDA

View Full Version : Does yarn color change the gauge?

KathleenH
01-16-2007, 10:32 AM
I'm very new at knitting - trying to teach myself. My first project was a knit hat, made in ribbing. Turned out very cute. It was hot pink and yellow. It is soft, and the size I intended it to be for my granddaughter.
I bought more yarn (maroon and blue) and made another, exactly the same way, for my grandson. It turned out much larger and not nearly as soft. It's the same brand and style of yarn -- the only difference is the colors.
I looked closely at the stitches and they do not appear to be looser, so I'm sure that's not it.
Any thoughts?

Oh, the only other difference was I used the right hand for one to "throw" the yarn around the needle. On the second one I used the technique of having the yarn in the left hand (which I like better). Could that have made a difference? If anything, I think the knitting was tighter on the second one (that turned out bigger).

I'm confused.

dustinac
01-16-2007, 10:50 AM
Oh, the only other difference was I used the right hand for one to "throw" the yarn around the needle. On the second one I used the technique of having the yarn in the left hand (which I like better). Could that have made a difference? If anything, I think the knitting was tighter on the second one (that turned out bigger).

I'm confused.

This is prolly why it was different.. your gauge was different with the methods.. I am a loser knitter when I throw.. my gauge is tighter with the left hand style.. I knit continetal (left hand style) .. plus for anything that is worn like a hat or sweater I do a swatch and check my gauge to see if it works with the pattern... I would try it again and adjust your needle size to get the gauge you need for the hat...

Chrissie
01-16-2007, 10:51 AM
It was probably your knitting style that changed the gauge. Other that that, it could have been that you were more relaxed and familiar with the pattern when doing the second hat, so your gauge relaxed a bit too.

KathleenH
01-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Thank you for your replies. I'm still a bit confused though. I think I knit more loosely when I throw the yarn, but that's the hat that was smaller. The other one seemed to be knit a bit tighter, but is larger. I still don't get it.

dustinac
01-16-2007, 11:06 AM
I would just knit a swatch using the method you will use for the hat and see if you get the same gauge that the pattern calls for .. the swatch doesn't have to be very big and after I get my gauge I just frog the swatch and use it in the project.. :teehee:

KathleenH
01-16-2007, 11:30 AM
I'll try that.
Thank you!

bip
01-16-2007, 05:29 PM
I croched a big afghan using Caron Simply Soft and found that different colors had slightly different gauges. For example, I used one size for the 88 navy blue, and a size smaller for all the other colors. There were even a few color combinations where I used both.

However, I have never come across this with knitting. Had I been knitting with this yarn, the difference would have been so slight I don't think I would have bothered to change the yarn.

My gauge changes if I knit Continental. About a year ago when I was a much newer knitter I did a sweater for DH and swapped back and forth throughout. Fortunately, it fits and looks fine, but if you look at the back of the stockinette, you can tell that some rows are much taller, and those are the continental rows.

Ingrid
01-16-2007, 07:56 PM
I'd say it's the different style, too, but I have read that some red yarns seem to be thicker than the same brand of other colors. :shrug:

janelanespaintbrush
01-16-2007, 08:03 PM
I'd say it's the different style, too, but I have read that some red yarns seem to be thicker than the same brand of other colors. :shrug:

I've noticed that different colors of the same yarn sometimes appear to vary in thickness. I don't know whether it's because the yarn was spun slightly differently, or because the dye did something to the yarn, but either seems plausible. (I'm talking about visibly noticeable differences in the thickness of the yarn here -- obvious just by looking at it.)

losnana
01-16-2007, 08:05 PM
I remember reading somewhere, I think in a book by either maggie Rhighetti or Elizabeth Zimmerman, that you must always do a swatch, because the darker colors are just slightly larger than the lighter colors of the same yarn - enough to make a difference in some things. I've never noticed it, but have never really paid attention to that aspect of it.

cam90066
01-16-2007, 11:00 PM
I did a baby blanket last year consisting of alphabet squares using four diff colors of RH Super Saver. The gauge was diff for each. :( One was so thin it bordered on sport weight, while another was nearly bulky. I'm a very even knitter so this took some creativity to get the squares even remotely close in size.

cam

MaryS
01-17-2007, 05:36 PM
I've noticed some variation in different colors of the same yarn - even KP superwash. I did a light grey and black blanket in a reversible stitch - 2 rows one color and then 2 rows the other - and the grey was slightly thicker than the black :?? . I just thought of it as a " design feature". :happydance:

Mary

auburnchick
01-17-2007, 05:45 PM
I think you may be onto something with the different style of knitting.

I tried to accustom myself to Continental after teaching myself knitting via the English method last summer. My stitches are normally quite tight with English, but I noticed that when I knit Continental, my gauge is more loose (not that it looks loose, but the count is fewer stitches per inch).