PDA

View Full Version : My So Called Scarf question

HamaLee
01-16-2007, 09:47 PM
Those of you who have made it....did you do a selvedge stitch on each side or not? How'd it turn out if you didn't?
Thanks! :muah:

Julie
01-16-2007, 10:31 PM
Nope, didn't. I love it, though it does curl in a bit...not enough to make me block it though. ;)

HamaLee
01-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Heh, thanks!
I started it with an selvedge and didn't like how it looks...you could see a little chain or something. I already frogged it since I was knitting too tight anyhow.

I want a nice soft and loose fabric for my mmmmmmMalabrigo!

Ingrid
01-16-2007, 11:19 PM
I started one with a selvedge, too, and ended up frogging it. It just didn't seem to work with the pattern.

madametj
01-16-2007, 11:28 PM
Those of you who have made it....did you do a selvedge stitch on each side or not? How'd it turn out if you didn't?
Thanks! :muah:

what is a selvege stitch?

Ingrid
01-16-2007, 11:30 PM
A selvedge stitch is an extra stitch at each edge that helps to make the outer edges of a scarf more even. I slip the first and knti the last when I use a selvedge.

HamaLee
01-16-2007, 11:32 PM
I slip the first and knti the last when I use a selvedge.

And I do exactly the same because....well, because Ingrid does it! :rofl: :notworthy:

suzeeq
01-17-2007, 01:12 AM
I never have slipped the first stitch... mostly because I never learned that (self taught and the book didn't say to, way back when) and when I tried to it looked really loose and sloppy. Since I knit more things that are seamed together than not, it doesn't matter.

sue

Julie
01-17-2007, 12:29 PM
That pattern does come out quite tight...I knit it with bulky yarn and started out with US10.5 needles...I ended up knitting it on US15s and it's still very dense. Such a great pattern for showing off variegated yarn!

HamaLee
01-17-2007, 12:38 PM
That pattern does come out quite tight...I knit it with bulky yarn and started out with US10.5 needles...I ended up knitting it on US15s and it's still very dense. Such a great pattern for showing off variegated yarn!

Yeah I had it on 11s, but I'm thinking I might bump it up a needle size or two. I basically want this yarn as close to its original hank status as possible, so soffffft!

suzeeq
01-17-2007, 12:46 PM
I think it does need a very large needle - 11s at least for worsted weight, and 13 or 15 if a bulkier yarn.

sue

roxtarchic
02-21-2007, 06:07 PM
it's definitely tight... and i also started it w/a selvedge & frogged it... didnt like the edge & it didnt really need it... it was the first scarf i knit where i felt... yeah... check me out.. i'm a KNITTER!!!!!!

hah.. i knit a few of them too because i enjoyed it so muc!