PDA

View Full Version : The "Year of the Stash"...

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Lady M
02-28-2007, 12:18 AM
I jsut wanted to stop in tonight and say hellp to all of you "Stashies". I have seen some beautiful projects that you all have completed and are working on. It is so inspiring to know that I have you all here helping and encouraging me to knit my stash up. I even checked out the one skein pattern thread in the patterns section and found some wonderful projects that didn't take a lot of yarn, so they are great for those leftovers, half sized balls of yarn that get tossed or stored forever in the leftover junk bins.

I what to say Thank You to everyone here for the motivation and help when I need a question answered or a pep talk when I am feeling over whelmed about my knitting. I read all of your post and I am celebrating each sucess with you. It is good to be where the people really care and answer your questions. :happydance:

Well back to knitting tonight for me. I have 3 projects ready to come off the needles tonight and I will post them as soon as I can get the pictures taken. This will leave me with 3 projects on the needles to complete and I will have all of my UFO's finished. All of these projects are knit from my stash and that makes me feel wonderful :cheering:

Have a great day :muah: and I will check back soon with some pictures too....=)

BostonBecca
02-28-2007, 12:42 AM
I have made a lot of progress on one of my stash busting projects...I'll post the picture on my blog tomorrow. I am super excited to see how this gift project turns out. I combined a few different patterns and I think it worked! yay!!!!! I am always nervous doing that.

ArtLady1981
02-28-2007, 02:40 AM
Here is an interesting scarf pattern for using oddball yarn! Kinda cool for a kid, too! A fun look! Zippy! Endless possibilities! And quick!

http://knittingonthenet.com/patterns/scarfoddball.htm

ArtLady1981
02-28-2007, 02:42 AM
Here is an interesting scarf pattern for using oddball yarn! Kinda cool for a kid, too! A fun look! Zippy! Endless possibilities! And quick!

http://knittingonthenet.com/patterns/scarfoddball.htm

BostonBecca
02-28-2007, 03:13 PM
I have one half of the wristwarmers for my brother's girlfriend ready to be sewn up and finished! I know she loves alpaca, so I got her some knitpicks alpaca and am making these and a clapotis for her. I haven't been able to start the clapotis because I don't know how big her head is yet, but these projects are stash busters for sure. The pictures of the wristwarmer is on my blog if you want to see. I am so excited for these and might make myself some as well as a stashbuster. I love them!

madametj
02-28-2007, 11:49 PM
hi stashies! if u'd like your "Year of the Stash 2007" icon to link to this thread, copy and paste the following to your signature and delete the spaces:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24933 ( http://www.century-oak.com/emotes/stashie.jpg

Happy knitting! xxx :heart:

DotMom61
03-01-2007, 11:37 AM
I even checked out the one skein pattern thread in the patterns section and found some wonderful projects that didn't take a lot of yarn, so they are great for those leftovers, half sized balls of yarn that get tossed or stored forever in the leftover junk bins.

Oooo ... I haven't seen this!! Thanks ... :out:

kellyh57
03-01-2007, 06:25 PM
I'm still here. I've been in a slump lately. I did 2 scarves from some Jiffy Thick N Quick. (Got it on clearance before Christmas) I was going to make gifts, but couldn't come up with any ideas/recipients, so I'll send the to a charity one of these days.

Then, I started in on my TNQ afghan. It was also a clearance buy, but I realized I didn't have enough so I had to buy more at regular price. It was going to be for my aunt but my mom saw the new room and it wasn't the colors she told us. (I found another yarn that went great and she loved the afghan!) This yarn goes great in my living room, so I've been trying to do something for myself. I've started and frogged the whole thing at least 3 times. I just can't find a pattern that works with such thick yarn! I have it OTN now, but haven't touched it in a week because I'm so discouraged.

I'm almost finished with my "van" project- a dishcloth. I like to have something to do when my husband is driving or I'm waiting for my son at preschool :) I'm looking for more ideas to use up all this S&C. I'm sick of dishcloths and I'm on the last ball that matches my kitchen.

I've also got another afghan for myself (yes, more clearnce yarn) OTN. I did have to buy more yarn to do it. I'm striping it so I didn't have to worry about matching. I waited for a sale, finished 2 LARGE balls (TNQ) and started it right away. I wasn't going to get rid of the other stuff any other way anyway :)

Kelly

dustinac
03-01-2007, 10:08 PM
Well I've broke one of New Year's Resolutions :rofl: I told myself no more multiple projects.. one main one and one to tote around... I was doing so good.. right now I have 3 socks on dpns with only one finished waiting for its match :rofl: a baby afghan.. and dishrag...

:?? I really don't know how it even happened... I had one sock CO and the baby afghan and then :shrug: :rofl:

However, I can say its all stash busting nothing new :happydance:

HeatherFeather
03-02-2007, 08:43 AM
HI!!!!!!!!!! :)

I've been busily knitting. :)

I got RID of 2 cases of yarn and a garbage bag. :)

Plus I'm doing the one stitch baby sweater on Lion Brand just to have a baby sweater to either sell or give away. It'll go on my website.

I just contracted to do 2 muffs for a friend's grandaughters...with that fun fur!!! lol...but I didn't buy the fun fur...and I told her that I'll use my stash yarn for the "body" of the yarn. Gramma's was purchased yarn, but it was for a gift. :) And not much is left over actually. :)

I'm in Yarn Monkey's knit off against my better judgement, so I'm going to acutally go out and get some yarn as a reward to myself for the competition. And while I'm there, I'm going to look at the fiber trends pattern...just to have in my pocket!!! lol...I have SOME wool....but certainly not enough for the clogs!!! lol....

Thanks for letting me know that this moved to this forum. :) The camera's fixed...soo...we should be good to go and snap some pictures.

auburnchick
03-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Kelly,

Just wanted to encourage you. I think we all go through slumps sometimes. Hang in there! :hug:

I just finished one sock (of my third pair). I cast on the mate last night.

BUT, I have a CONFESSION...I bought yarn this week for another project.

Ever since this thread moved to the KAL forum, I find myself reading the other threads here and have found some wonderful things I want to make. The temptation was just too great. So, I caved and will be making the Branching Out scarf. I cannot wait to for my yarn to arrive!

It's almost like I've been doing things backward, though. When we started this, I didn't have much of a stash, so I've been working on BUILDING the stash so I can "de-stash." I do want to clean up some of my leftover yarn from other projects though. I will be making dishcloths too (using the pattern that ArtLady gave me ;) ).

Mom always said I did things the hard way... :teehee:

Eloewien
03-02-2007, 02:28 PM
I've finished three projects... wristwarmers, a stuffed dragon, and a purse. So I'm hitting the LYS for yarn for the corset I've been wanting to make :) Yay!

Laura

Holly
03-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Hi all! I've been offline for a bit and am just catching up with the site :-) At my sister-in-laws prodding, I picked up my sweater (WIP) and have been working on the second sleeve. Next will be the hood, and my 1st full size sweater will be done :cheering:

I also finished a pair of socks (on 2 circs) :cheering:

I'd like to try a mobius scaf from the Cat Bordhi book I got for Xmas, and think I will invest in some yarn for that project as a reward for finishing the sweater. When Cat was on Knitty Gritty, they made a beautiful mobius scarf -- mabye I'll track down that yarn -- I can't wait to yarn shop again!

The weather is so awful here that a bottle of wine and a knitting project will be perfect for the weekend :clink:

DotMom61
03-02-2007, 06:07 PM
Holly!! :muah: (It's snowing in fits and 50 mph gusts in our backyard)

I've done two of the Moebiuses ...Moebiiusissi ... I've done more than one Moebius like Cat did on Knitty Gritty. :nails:

They're *really* fast and fun and not nearly as challenging as you might think. Go for it!!

CarmenIbanez
03-02-2007, 06:34 PM
I haven't made anything from my stash. Instead, I sold it all! Yep. Almost my entire stash is gone. And now I have a couple hundred buck to spend on new yarn. Is that bad? :teehee:

DotMom61
03-02-2007, 07:37 PM
That's not bad!! That's fantastic!

I know that I've made some purchases in the past couple years that I will probably never use now that I'm beginning to understand yarn a little better. So, I've been thinking about de-stashing in that fashion, too.

Congratulations! Can't wait to see what you buy w/ the income now! :cheering:

HeatherFeather
03-02-2007, 09:02 PM
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

HOw's this for funky???

I got the fiber trends patterns...

I have bits of yarn from other felted projects, and I'd LOVE to have slippers from them....bits and all....so I'm going to try it.

Also, I'm in yarn-monkey's knit off...kindof a slow hard start....but all the kinks are worked out "i think", and I used stash yarn for it!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAHHHH ME!!!!

Not my first choice of color, but I've no idea what it is that we are knitting.

Eloewien
03-02-2007, 09:37 PM
I got some Berocco Softwist in a dark teal.... mmm... swatching now :)

HeatherFeather
03-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Oh, and I got the stitch markers so I can make the pinwheel sweater for my godson!!! :)

I just normally use loops of yarn, but this you have to move each time....PITA....and can't be done with loops of yarn.

I looked at the package, adn there was 20 of them...I was looking and JUST about to say....I think I need more...and she said...you have enough there....lol....

problem tho is that HAS to wait until the competition is over!!! lol....

dustinac
03-02-2007, 09:52 PM
I have bits of yarn from other felted projects, and I'd LOVE to have slippers from them....bits and all....so I'm going to try it.

I have been thinking the same things.. I have a lot of wool that isn't enough to make one project but all together I thought of making some unusual clogs... if ya try it lmk how it goes..

:cheering: Sounds like everyone has been busy!! That is wonderful..

I should give away some of my stash.. my mom or sil would use it... just the thought of going through it all again is enough to make me go :eyes:

I keep thinking I'll try a mobius but after seeing Cat Bordhi do the CO I'm :??

No snow here.. we finally got rid of all the snow and Ice we got a week or so ago.. just really really windy here today..

SabrinaJL
03-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Ok, so far from my stash I've made 4 bears, a Corset-T, socks, a booga bag and a Snuggle. But I accidentally bought 8 skeins of yarn today. :roflhard: My excuse is I actually bought it for a specific project and I needed these colors.

auburnchick
03-02-2007, 11:08 PM
Ok, so far from my stash I've made 4 bears, a Corset-T, socks, a booga bag and a Snuggle. But I accidentally bought 8 skeins of yarn today. :roflhard: My excuse is I actually bought it for a specific project and I needed these colors.

How do you "accidentally" buy yarn? :?? :roflhard:

I "accidentally" bought yarn online a couple of days ago while I was on the internet. Must have been the new browser's fault. :teehee:

CarmenIbanez
03-03-2007, 12:19 PM
I haven't made anything from my stash. Instead, I sold it all! Yep. Almost my entire stash is gone. And now I have a couple hundred buck to spend on new yarn. Is that bad? :teehee:

I forgot to mention that I gave a bunch away for charity knitting too! That's the best part. I don't make enough time for charity knitting as I should, so at least I support other charity knitters! Now I just need to get it to the post office today!

lissalue
03-03-2007, 12:23 PM
i haven't been around for a while. first i lost the thread in it's move, then i just haven't been here much period. i am doing okay at the stash busting. i did buy some WOTA from carmenibanez :oops: but it was too good of a deal to pass up. and i bought some for an irish hiking scarf, but i am getting paid to make that. and my dh got me some for our anniversary, but i haven't bought any reward yarn cause i haven't been finishing many projects. i am using some of my stash to work on the charity oddball blanket, so that makes me feel good.

CarmenIbanez
03-03-2007, 12:29 PM
i haven't been around for a while. first i lost the thread in it's move, then i just haven't been here much period. i am doing okay at the stash busting. i did buy some WOTA from carmenibanez :oops: but it was too good of a deal to pass up. and i bought some for an irish hiking scarf, but i am getting paid to make that. and my dh got me some for our anniversary, but i haven't bought any reward yarn cause i haven't been finishing many projects. i am using some of my stash to work on the charity oddball blanket, so that makes me feel good.

Maybe I should have paid more attention to your posts and realized you were part of this KAL. Maybe I shouldn't have sold to you? I feel like a dealer now. :teehee: Hey little girl, want some WOTA? Come on, everyone is making clogs, you should too. You can start with just a little? It won't hurt any one......

lissalue
03-03-2007, 12:37 PM

Maybe I should have paid more attention to your posts and realized you were part of this KAL. Maybe I shouldn't have sold to you? I feel like a dealer now. :teehee: Hey little girl, want some WOTA? Come on, everyone is making clogs, you should too. You can start with just a little? It won't hurt any one......

:roflhard: lol! you weren't dealing any more than i was looking for a fix. i should know better than to go to the buy/sell/swap forum, but i just can't keep myself away. :oops:

:teehee:

misha rf
03-04-2007, 08:58 PM
I've been plugging along...I did a neck warmer, which used a skein of the wool-ease thick & quick. I had some of the regular wool-ease left over from a scarf (about an ounce) and made a little earwarmer/headband thingie. And my first hat ever is on the needles! It's another skein of the thick & quick. These are all going (along with another scarf I did last month) to the Knitting for Dulaan people. I'm still working on my purple scarf, though. Knitting ADD is baaaad. :pout: :doh:

Once I get pics, I'll post 'em.

HeatherFeather
03-04-2007, 11:42 PM
I threw the towel in already for the competition...

like Silver said....unimpressed by the lack of organization.....sigh....
I had reasonable questions, that went unanswered....soooooo don't have time for that....

Then...I wanted to think of my OWN competiton, and run it they way that I'D like it to be run....lol.....

And I thought...hey Stashies.....how about we have a "most projects completed with our stash contest"

But not so much a contest, but a place we could go to track our completed projects? And give kudos....good idea? dumb idea? I just want to work for the greater good of getting projects on and off the needles with our stash...and put my "money" where my mouth is and see if something like this CAN be done efficiently.

whatcha think?

I've just set up a spreadsheet for the Stashies to keep track. I do have a google account, so it was easy for me to set up. So, here are a couple things off the top of my head.

1)If you need a google account, let me know,I've got lots of invitations.
2)You need to be a "colaborator" in order to participate, so email (pm me with your email) and I'll make sure you are on the list.
3)if you don't want to join, but want to just look, that's OK....the link in a second will be posted in my signature.
and 4) This is a running total of your completed projects. I've divided it up into months, and everyone has a spot for their name. Just update your total for the month as you complete a project.

I'm SUCH a visual person so this will for sure help me!!! And might motivate someone else too.....:)

BostonBecca
03-05-2007, 12:15 PM
I have too many things OTN. However, I am almost finished with the wristwarmers I have been making. I stitched up the first one so that is completely done, but the second one still needs to be stitched into a tube and I need to sew the thumb gusset pieces together as well. I also have two scarves OTN which are for people I will be visiting in Portland, OR this weekend and part of next week, so I need to get those done! I had a very limited amount of free time this weekend, as the boyfriend's legal comedy show was this weekend and so was his birthday! However, once I am done with them I can get myself some reward yarn! Yay! I think I am going to hit up some of the knitting cafes that are in Portland. I think that is such a cool idea.

dustinac
03-05-2007, 04:42 PM
I'm still working away on my socks and baby afghan... after I finish all this I want to do a reward project.. the dollar and half in Interweave knits :happydance:

HeatherFeather.. are we starting with March or can we go back and look and see what all we have done since Jan? :teehee:

HeatherFeather
03-05-2007, 05:04 PM
You can do what ever you want!!!! :)

but REALLY start keeping track in March....:) I'm easy....lol.....
as that's when the "contest" starts....

We could have a couple spreadsheets..???

finished projects...

but then I was thinking what about the person that is knitting an afghan say with scraps...I'd like to acknowledge them somehow...since their completed list won't be as impressive as say premie baby hats...ya know? both are worth recognizing but have different "issues".....

Here's where I'm going to answer the questions...don't want to clog up our Stashie list with this...
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27986

lucky_alf2
03-05-2007, 06:32 PM
dustinac ~ Thanks for the tips!! I'm hoping to CO my baby blanket tonight!! How's your's going??

CarmenIbanez/lissalue ~ :roflhard: lol! You guys are too funny!!!

Frogging question -- I frogged some yarn for my baby blanket -- it's all crinkled now -- can I use it in this crinkled state or do I need to do something to it to straighten it out?? It's 55% Nylon, 45% Acrylic if that makes a difference......Thanks for the help!!

I also inventoried my stash -- 27 skeins total of which 22 are baby yarn. Hopefully I'll soon have room for new (non-baby) skeins!!! :)

misha rf
03-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Here are some pics of my recently finished stuff:

My first felted bag--it needs the kinks steamed out, and a little de-fuzzing, but it's done! (12 skeins Patons SWS)

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f14/bookfaerie2/editedbag.jpg

A little headband/earwarmer (leftover Wool-Ease; about 1 oz):

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f14/bookfaerie2/editedheadband.jpg

And a neckwarmer with a skein of Wool-Ease Thick & Quick (top view):

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f14/bookfaerie2/editedneckwarmer2.jpg

side view:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f14/bookfaerie2/editedneckwarmer.jpg

Nothing spectacular, but it's used stash!!

HeatherFeather
03-05-2007, 06:46 PM
2 schools of thought...

those that care, and do something about it....tie it as if in a hank, and wash and dry it

and those that don't ME....and just use it again for the wonnerful effect it will give. :)

misha rf
03-05-2007, 06:47 PM
Lucky_alf2, if you wind it into a ball, it'll unkink enough to re-knit in a few days. It's worked for me.

And I loooove all your purple yarn!!

HeatherFeather
03-05-2007, 07:05 PM
I LOVE that bag...i'm SUCH a bag lady!!! lol.....

did you do the pattern or is it "out there" somewhere?

lissalue
03-05-2007, 07:33 PM
i finished my portion of the Charity Oddball Blanket using some of my stash, i used up about a quarter of a skein of Caron Simply Soft. I am still working on my sock swap socks, and now i have cast on for the scarf for a lady at my church. when i finish those two things i am going to finish my booga bag and make hats for my best friend's twin girls who should be here soon, and finish some of the other projects i have laying around that i can't remember what they are right now. oh, and i am going to make some clogs from the WOTA i got from that yarn dealer CarmenIbanez :teehee:

lucky_alf2
03-05-2007, 11:08 PM
Misha ~ I love :heart: that bag! I want to try felting...but have been holding off until I do some stash reduction! Looks like fun!

Thanks for the help with the kinky skeins -- I think I'll wind them in balls (never done that :) ) and see what happens!

misha rf
03-05-2007, 11:11 PM
Thanks, HeatherFeather. This is the pattern:

http://www.cu-needleworks.com/Patterns/Bags/Newspaperbag/newspaperbag.pdf

I didn't make my handle too long. And before I threw that sucker in the machine, it was 25" long--excluding the handle!

Lissalue, I saw your section of the blanket. It's so pretty!! I can't wait to see what it looks like when it finally reaches me.

I'm almost ready to start shaping the hat. Hopefully, *this* time, I'll do it right so I won't have to frog it again.

misha rf
03-05-2007, 11:12 PM
Thanks, lucky_alf2! Felting it was a lot of fun! Even the Husband thought it was an interesting process, and he usually doesn't follow anything that I do knitting-wise.

beckyrhae
03-05-2007, 11:30 PM
Hello ladies!

Well its time for me to join this KAL. :) I recently put myself on a budget, and pairing that with my HUGE stash I figure this will help me keep on budget.

I will take pictures of my stash and current projects soon... gotta find that damn memory card for the camera first. LOL

Anywho... Thanks for letting me join, better late than never I always say!

BostonBecca
03-05-2007, 11:36 PM
Welcome to the stash busting! I cast on for calorimetry tonight and made a decent amount of progress so far. I also cast on yesterday for a scarf for my brother and am through 1 whole pattern repeat! I am lucky I have a cross country flight on Thursday to spend knitting!

ArtLady1981
03-06-2007, 04:32 AM
Hey there Stashies!

I realized today...that I have not been receiving any email notifications from Knitting Help for several days. It occured to me that THERE MUST BE A NEW POST OR TWO over several days time...so I checked into the Forum through my IE browser! SURE ENOUGH! We had four more pages of Posts!

Congratulations TO ALL OF OUR STASH SISTERS (and brothers) who are making such great headway in de-stashing!

A big :heart: THANK YOU :heart: to HeatherFeather for her time and efforts in creating a place for us to post our completed projects in an organized tally! Brilliant idea! She has great organizational skills!

I have been working on that Red Aran Afghan. It now measures 66"...and I have 3 skeins to go. I really could stop at any time...it is clearly long enough to cover me...so, when I am done with the current skein...I will do another measurement...and then work on the edging...it is knit separately...and see how much a skein gives me. So, I may be closer to 'done' than I think. I AM SO READY TO BE DONE...let me tell you!

I am also working on a Red Cardigan New Yarn Reward Project. Just to break up the monotony of the afghan. THEN, I purchased another New Yarn Reward on Friday...19 balls of a Louisa Harding yarn in a Deep Chocolate. I have a pattern for it. I will work on it as soon as the Red cardigan is done. Or simultaneously...maybe. FYI: I earned the Deep Chocolate New Yarn Reward! :happydance: I also purchased some Ebay auction yarn for commissions...but they don't count against me. Got some fabulous prices for some quality yarn. Some of the Ebay yarn shops are housecleaning BIG TIME right now. It is almost unbelievable. I had to email one of them and ask, is this for real? All ten skeins for that price? Plus free shipping??? The answer was yes! :cheering:

Well, that is it for now. I just want to close with a BIG THANK YOU to everyone who is on the Stash Train, and for your support! Keep your needles clicking, and keep your Posts coming. It is encouraging to all, even those who do not Post as often...but may read the Posts! We know you are lurking close by! :teehee:

dustinac
03-06-2007, 10:01 AM
Heather feather~ Thanks it is a wonderful idea :cheering:

misha rf~ :happydance: everything looks wonderful.. love the felted SWS I wondered how it would do.. hmmmm might see a SWS reward project in my future :teehee:

lucky_alf2~ I usually just rewind it into a ball and go from there lol.. its going slow.. basically cause I ran out of yarn so got side tracked.. I picked up enough to finish it on Sat but just can't seem to pull it back out :oops:

beckyrhae~ :cheering: Welcome!!!

BostonBecca~ I love the calorimetry.. I made one to use while we walk up to the bus stop.. works really well...

ArtLady~ I wondered where you went :teehee: I have never been able to finish an afghan larger than a baby one.. I just get to bored.. I can't wait to see yours done :cheering:

I'm still working away on my socks.. I really need to get the baby afghan out and finish it so I can get in the mail... I wanna hurry up and finish all this so I can start my reward project :rofl:

Keep up the good work everyone!! :happydance:

BostonBecca
03-06-2007, 01:24 PM
I am buying reward yarn. It's a tiny bit early, but the wristwarmers are done, the project that goes with them is not however, that is using the same yarn, which is why I feel like I am cheating. The other projects will be done by the time I get back from break and can pick up my package with this yarn because they are going to people I am visiting. The reward yarn is also about 4 or 5 dollars less than you can get it and it's for a specific project. It's Lambs Pride worsted for the cowl from Howl n' Cowl from SnB. I love Lambs Pride Worsted and this is the one yarn I cannot resist. People love Malabrigo and maybe I will when I knit with it, but Lambs Pride worsted makes me smile, it's reliable and easy to knit with, and my first projects were made out of it. Plus, this could easily disappear because it is discontinued on special. I feel like I am cheating somehow however. The link for the deal is here if anyone else loves it and is due for some reward yarn. http://www.thesheepshedstudio.com/carolssuperspecials.html

ArtLady1981
03-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Hi there Dustinac! Well, I must say that the afghan is going more quickly than I anticipated because the yarn is bulky...Rowan "Polar"...and the needles are size 11!! Each skein adds about 3.5" to the afghan. I am tinkering around with an edging now. I think I will add a petite bell ruffle. Well, in the next couple days, I should be done and will post a photo!
It is kinda neat looking being a warm red instead of the usual cream that aran or celtic afghans usually are!

I am getting email notifications today! Yeah! :cheering: :cheering:

misha rf
03-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Thanks, dustinac :)

I finished the hat last night. The Husband asked if he could have it, but I told him no--it's going to the Dulaan Project. I have a skein left over from his scarf--I can make him a hat from that. I also made another headband/earwarmer from the last of the hat skein. I'm keeping that one, b/c I ran out of yarn as I was binding off & started adding on tiny bits of leftover yarn (same color), so the bind off looks funky. And I cast on for another neckwarmer. The stash is slooooowly dwindling....

Although, to be honest, I ordered a few skeins of reward yarn that'll be here by the end of the week. :oops:

I'll try to get pics later this week.

DreamWeaver
03-06-2007, 09:44 PM
Whoa... I leave the topic for a couple weeks and this is what happens? :thud: You guys are all amazing, destashing like the destashing feinds you are. I've been making a whole headband village, with all of my bits and bobs of yarn, which is fun. They all looks so lovely, and you can use just about any yarn on the face of the planet ^_^ pattern's of my own design.

On a completely different note, I got my contacts today :cheering: I'm still mastering putting them in, but it's getting easier! I'm so happy!

Sorry, just a little note from dreamweaver :thumbsup:

lucky_alf2
03-06-2007, 09:51 PM
What's a "calorimetry"? :shrug:

BostonBecca
03-06-2007, 10:02 PM
It is this: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTcalorimetry.html .

Mod Squad was here (fixed link)

auburnchick
03-06-2007, 11:14 PM
Whoa... I leave the topic for a couple weeks and this is what happens? :thud: You guys are all amazing, destashing like the destashing feinds you are. I've been making a whole headband village, with all of my bits and bobs of yarn, which is fun. They all looks so lovely, and you can use just about any yarn on the face of the planet ^_^ pattern's of my own design.

On a completely different note, I got my contacts today :cheering: I'm still mastering putting them in, but it's getting easier! I'm so happy!

Sorry, just a little note from dreamweaver :thumbsup:

Very good! You'll LOVE the contacts once you get used to them!!!

Lots of practice in front of the mirror!

Eloewien
03-07-2007, 03:00 AM
I was making a dent.... I really was!! But I'm not going to turn down an entire bag of gifted yarn!! Most of it is going to make little blankets for shelter critters probably. Some of the yarn is a teeny bit musty and mostly acrylic, but for shelter critters to cuddle with, once it's washed it should be fine.

My stash increased to a huge degree, but it's going for a good cause. Now back to my sweater for tonight. Do I get a minor bonus point for an insanely hard project to counter the huge increase? ;) I did finish a huge piece of lacework last week along with several other projects, but only bought yarn for a baby sweater (1/2way done already) and a sweater for me. I guess it all evens out. I'll just have to neglect my LYS for a bit...

ArtLady1981
03-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Hi Eloewein! Gifted bags of yarn are FREE! and they don't count against you! Sounds like you are definitely on the Stash Train with the rest of us!
Mainly, our goal is: #1) to be aware of our yarn buying/stashing practices, and #2) to make it a goal to actually KNIT the yarn that we have stashed away in our bags, bins, baskets, trunks, closets, and cupboards! But, being human...we will stumble or trip along the way. What if that happens? Well, we pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off...and hop back on the Stash Train! Then go to our computer and Post our true confessions here where we are amongst friends and other yarn addicts! :teehee:

Hi BostonBecca! I clicked on that link for the calorimetry...it didn't display anything. Later I will visit the knitty.com website and type in the word calorimetry and see if anything pops up. Will keep ya posted.

Hi Misha! Sounds like you are making great headway! Keep on clicking those needles! Are you able to post photos of your work?

Well, I am off to work on the last few inches of my Red Aran Afghan! BUT...after the afghan is done...I dread the edging. I found a Petite Bell Ruffle pattern in my "Knitting On the Edge" book. I have to cast on 783 stitches...because the decreasing creates the ruffles...and to end up with 242 stitches width that will be the same as the afghan! Aaargh. I will start to cast on 783 stitches...but who knows if I will complete it! 783 stitches will give me 65-12 stitch repeats...plus 3. So, 65 ruffles. I knit a baby sweater fromo "Daddy's Little Girl" book in January...it called for this type of bell ruffle...it is easy...but, you have to cast on soooooo many stitches. Sigh. :pout:

lucky_alf2
03-07-2007, 05:45 PM
ArtLady1981 ~ The link has an extra period "." at the end (after the html -- if you just copy and paste the text into your browser and delete the period at the end the calorimetry will pop up -- it's very cute and probably a quick project. I think I am going to make one for when I walk the dog in the morning.....Thanks for the super idea BostonBecca!!

BostonBecca
03-07-2007, 08:12 PM
You are all welcome! I had read about them before and it seemed like a great pattern, especially for stash busting! I have heard that it is huge as written, so I am making mine with Andean Silk from Knit Picks and cast on only 112 stitches. In my 2x2 rib guage on the size 6 needles I am using that should be big enough.

I have to say how excited I am about my 2 year anniverrsary present from my boyfriend. I got Knit 2 Together, SnB Nation, 6 balls of Shine Sport in Hydrangea from Knit Picks (for a tank top) and a set of Knit Picks Options. I have been reading the interchangeable needle sticky post in the general knitting section and I am so excited to get all of this from him when I come back from break! Yay for the BF! I didn't purchase any of it either, so it is ok! I did however, carefully pick it all out.

dustinac
03-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Dreamweaver~ Great to see you pop in.. hope you come back often.. would love to see picts of the head bands.. I use to wear contacts haven't for awhile.. I keep saying next time I will go back.. it gets easier!!

ArtLady~ I agree I think the warm red is just right for the cables :happydance:

BostonBecca~ That is wonderful :happydance: :cheering: BF did good!!

For my caloriemetry I only CO 80 and then just went as wide as I thought it should be.. I'm not sure what needle size I used.. :oops: I need to take better notes :teehee:

Eloewien~ :cheering: for the free yarn and using it for charity.. I think that earns you extra poings :teehee:

well I put my socks away.. and pulled out the baby afghan.. I'm on the 4th pattern repeat.. and I think that will be all lol.. does anyone else feel strain on their wrists when knitting something heavy like an afghan on circs?? My socks do not bother me at all but as soon as I pick up that afghan I can feel it.. hoping to get it in the mail this weekend.. like to get it to JAC before he is a month old... since it was suppose to have been there a few months before at the shower... :pout:

misha rf
03-07-2007, 11:28 PM
OK, I did another neckwarmer using a skein of Plymouth Baby Alpaca Grande. And I've cast on for another hat, this time using a double strand of Debbie Bliss merino aran.

BUT after lunch, I told the Husband that I felt like yarn.... :oops:

Now, I didn't keep it all. I sent my little sister 6 skeins of what I bought. I kept 12 for myself. But I did buy my first Noro Silk Garden! And some gorgeous hand-dyed superwash merino. The shop owner said that was enough for a shawl, and suggested another yarn to pair with it (which I bought, of course.). I PROMISE I'll knit it up as quickly as possible!!!

lissalue
03-07-2007, 11:59 PM
i would love to see a pic of the neckwarmer. i have two skeins of baby alpace grande that i haven't decided what to do with yet.

misha rf
03-08-2007, 11:50 AM
i would love to see a pic of the neckwarmer. i have two skeins of baby alpace grande that i haven't decided what to do with yet.

I'll try to get one later today. It took almost one skein. I probably could have done one more row before binding off, but I didn't want to chance it. And it stretches enough that I could get it on without issue, even though it looks like it shouldn't fit.

This is the pattern I used:

http://www.az.com/%7Eandrade/knit/neckwarmerpatt.html

misha rf
03-08-2007, 07:46 PM
As promised...

Here's the neckwarmer, flat:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f14/bookfaerie2/neckwarmer.jpg

Here it is on:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f14/bookfaerie2/neckwarmermodel.jpg

And here's the yarn I bought yesterday:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f14/bookfaerie2/yarn.jpg

On the bright side, my sister's friend took 3 skeins and 2 cones of yarn that I wasn't going to use. I think that evens this out. :teehee:

ArtLady1981
03-08-2007, 10:12 PM
OOOOOOHHHHH Misha! I love the two skeins of NORO yarn there! Is it NORO Silk Garden or Kureyon? And what shade#? Lovely!

Also love the neck warmer! Your work is great! Thanks for taking time to post photos!

WE ALL LOVE :heart: TO SEE PHOTOS!

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

misha rf
03-09-2007, 02:50 PM
Thanks, ArtLady! *blushes*

It's silk garden, # 246. It was too pretty to pass up!

Tobinknit
03-10-2007, 01:34 AM
What's a "calorimetry"? :shrug:

You will love the Calorimetry pattern. It is quick and easy. I have made nine of them for my girls (ages 20 and 25) and they love them. I ended up making them on size seven instead of eight needles and they fit just fine. I used Lambs Pride Worsted for most of them. They are great to wear with ponytails. You can make two out of one skein too! :cheering:

HeatherFeather
03-10-2007, 08:17 AM
I've made fuzzy muffs for two little girls in my life. (6 and 3). And I'm going to make these with the left over yarn from the skein....what kind of modifications would you do? just not CO so many stitches? Would half the stitches do it?

Going to try this at work today....even if I can get the concept down, i don't need to follow the pattern exactly, if it's that kind of pattern.

Tobinknit
03-10-2007, 11:32 AM
I am not so sure on this. The one I made on the size 7 needles following the pattern exactly measures approximately 17" long by 6-3/4" wide. It stretches quite a bit if needed too. The completed pattern looks similar to a pair of lips. The short rows give it the shaping which is important for the fit.

I did one smaller than the original pattern by only casting on 108 stitches and doing 7 groups of the four stitches instead of nine and it worked out fine too but I don't know if that would be small enough for the little girl's heads. I don't have that one at home to measure. :verysad: That project ended up not as long or wide as the original.

It seems that casting on half the number of stitches wouldn't give you enough stitches to get the shaping. Maybe smaller needles and less stitches but not quite half? Sorry I am not much help. Maybe you could make one for yourself in the regular pattern to see what it is like and then experiment from there.

When worn, it seems like it fits much nicer when you wear the cast off edge in the front as the cast on edge hugs the back of the head better. Also, don't worry about the holes you seem to have when you are working on the short row part. They disappear with the shaping of the ridges and are really not noticeable. I was fretting over that until I finally finished one and saw in on their head. You don't see them. Good luck!

thischicknits
03-10-2007, 12:04 PM
I'm not sure if I've posted here yet...
I decided to take a slight twist on the stash busting - and actually finish some projects. I have WAY too many things OTN so I pulled everything that had been started out of my knit closet. Each project was put in it's own bag and I cleared a shelf out just for these. Since I can now see everything clearly, I have finished one felted bag. I am almost done with a stuffed cat (just need to attach the eyes) and many more are on the way.

I have also frogged 3 old projects that were laying around taking up space. That's like having new yarn!

All bags with unstarted projects went in one bin. All yarn that was officially stash got sorted by weight and fiber content.

Thanks to everyone for the inspiration!!

lauraknits
03-10-2007, 05:17 PM
I haven't posted in this thread for a bit but have been lurking about. All the FO's and WIP's look wonderful!

I have been working away on stash yarn. I did buy some sock yarn that was not a reward, but I decided to rationalize that by saying that 2 skeins of sock yarn don't count. Hey, they're small!

Here's what I've been working on lately

nadja la claire
03-11-2007, 04:53 PM
This is some of the stuff I've been working on. The skirt is made with Mmmmmalabrigo Hollyhock. BTW can someone tell me how to block it? The scarf is Suri Dream and merino. My mom's throw is RH Soft Grass Green and the Column of Leaves throw is LB Wool-Ease Forrest Green Heather. I hope to be finished with the throws and the scarf soon. I've got another throw, a Booga Bag and the 1st of a pair of socks OTN that I'd like to finish.

The Daffodil throw is my mom's Mother's Day gift and the Column of Leaves throw is for a friend who's been battling ovarian cancer. The skirt is mine, it's the 1st thing I've ever made for myself. Yuck, I hate photos of myself :ick:

The Column of Leaves throw is based on Brooke Nelson's Column Of Leaves Scarf pattern. To get the pattern go to www.knittingpatterncentral.com and look for it in the scarf section. The skirt pattern can also be found on the KPC web site in the womens clothing section under skirts. Look for Kiltie. You can also find it on the Berroco site. The Daffodil throw is found in The Ultimate Book of Knit Afghans, published by ASN Publishing. In the book it's called Daffodil Dream.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

Tobinknit
03-11-2007, 05:06 PM
Beautiful job! Your mom will be thrilled. Maybe I will get inspired to make something bigger than a hat or scarf.......we are supposed to be using up our stash so can I get by with that excuse for not making any bigger project for awhile? I really want to get started on some socks. Have had the yarn for quite awhile but had to do some quick projects before I tackled the socks. Keep up the good work. You should be proud and you got them done so early too.

dustinac
03-12-2007, 09:10 AM
:cheering: Everything looks wonderful :happydance:

Thischicknits~ :happydance: that's great I have so much on needles that I think I need to frog most of them and start over with something else.. I have 2 for sure that I want to finish.. hopefully soon.. one is the fancy lacy insert cardagian and then another is a tank.. stuff for me never seems to get done :??

lauraknits~ :cheering: great job on the socks!!! :rofl: sock yarn doesn't take up that much room I think thats why I like it so much.. more to cram into small spaces :teehee:

Nadja~ :cheering: The column of leaves and daffodil throw is goregous!!! She will love it.. Great job on the skirt too.. I have some malabrigo in my stash but I can't find the right project for it.. I have 3 skeins either seems to much or one to less.. :teehee:

:happydance: That baby afghan is done.. I haven't been able to knit for a few days the whole family caught a bug.. it was not fun at all.. so with taking care of them and trying to keep caught up on towels and blankets they were going through I haven't had time.. I finally got everyone feeling better and on their feet on Saturday :rofl: yesterday was spent spraying down the house and scrubbing it.. finally last night I picked up the afghan and decided it was good enough for her to use in a stroller or baby car seat.. I figure she will put it up and hold on to it though.. so I binded off on Row 19 of the 4th repeat of the pattern.. then I realized it has a mistake :doh: way down seems I picked it up and went the wrong way or something not paying attention.. so now I gotta figure out what to do .. frog it :pout: or just leave it and use a saying one of mom's quilter friends say I place a mistake in everything I do cause nothing is perfect but God :shrug: dh says leave it.. not sure my OCD can let me do that and send it.. I need to get the box out in the mail before he outgrows the other outifts I got him.. :wall:

:teehee: Now I'm off to start organizing all my craft stuff.. from yarn to material.. not sure why I decided to start this adventure :rofl:

misha rf
03-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Ooooh!! All the pretty!!! :happydance:

I attempted a little pillbox hat. It was meant to be for a child, but I'm not sure it'll work. :verysad: So now, it's a knitted bowl. (I'd felt it, but it's superwash.)

ArtLady1981
03-12-2007, 03:10 PM
Thanks for Posting all the Great Photos! It is so inspiring to see what everyone is working on or, better yet, to SEE what our Stash Sisters have finished!
:muah:
Nadja: so nice of you to take the extra effort to direct us to your resources! I am inspired! Your mom's grass green "Daffodil Dream" throw is absolutely GORGEOUS! (I want to knit one, too!) The pattern is beautiful anyways...but I think your color choice really put it 'over the top' of excellence! Your personal photo wearing the skirt is adorable! You take good photos! Thanks for sharing a little bit of yourself with us, your Stash Sisters! What a colorful skirt! I have knit a couple skirts with bulky yarn I had leftover, to match a sweater. I tend to overbuy yarn, so if I have enough, I will knit a simple straight skirt! No design factored in. I hear so many positive comments on the fact that my skirt is knitted, and more so than the matching sweater! Your skirt is very stylish, and it stands alone! Great job!

On a personal note: I finished the Red Aran Afghan this weekend. (in actuality, some would call it a brick red...it is a warm red...not a true blue red) Needed to block the seam where the ruffle attaches to the afghan. (Rolled up a wet bath towel...into a roll about the size of my wrist...and just set the 'wet roll' on top of the seam...let it sit 3-4 hours...removed it and let it dry. The weight of the wet towel roll 'pressed the seam' down...and when it air dryed...it stayed put.)

Here are photos of my red afghan! I can hardly wait to take a snooze!

nadja la claire
03-12-2007, 04:23 PM
OMG ArtLady the throw is BEAUTIFUL :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

I wish I could figure out bobbles.

Thank you and everyone else for your kind words for your kind words.

BTW the Malabrigo skirt used 3 1/4 skeins of of the Malabrigo which leaves me with 1 3/4 skeins left over and I need some ideas on what to make with it. Thanks all.

Nadja xxx

ArtLady1981
03-12-2007, 05:32 PM
Hi'ya Nadja!
The bobbles are tiresome, but easy. My afghan bobbles were a 5 step process into one stitch!
1) Knit into the front/then the back/then the front of the regular "stitch", thereby you have made 3 stitches out of the one original stitch.
2) Turn your work around with the WS facing you and do this:
purl the 1st stitch, purl twice into the 2nd stitch, purl once into the 3rd stitch. (5 stitches now exist)
3) Turn your work around again, with the RS facing you and do this:
Just plain knit the 5 stitches created on step 2.
4) Turn the work around again, with the WS facing you and do this:
Purl 2 stitches together/ purl one / purl the last 2 stitches together. (3 st remain)
5) Turn the work around again, with the RS facing you and do this:
slip the first two stitches to your right needle; then K the next; then pass the 2 slipped stitches over the knitted stitch. (1 stitch remains)
One bobble made!

Then continue on with your normal knitting for the remainder of the row.

I hope this helps! Under Advanced Techniques/Decorative Stitches...it says that a video for bobbles is coming soon. The 5 step bobble process I gave you makes extra large bobbles. Some patterns call for more petite bobbles, and the 5 step process is slightly altered. But, the principle is the same.

Hugs! :hug: And thanks for the Kudos! :happydance:

lauraknits
03-12-2007, 07:14 PM
Artlady,

Wow that afghan is sooo gorgeous! I feel inspired to make one (but I need to have the tenacity to prove i can finish a sweater before I tackle a giant project!!!

GREAT work! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

auburnchick
03-12-2007, 08:13 PM
Oh my goodness! That afghan is absolutely B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!!

:passedout:

Here is my latest FO (also posted in the whatcha knitting forum):

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/DSC01949.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/DSC01948.jpg

My classes just started back, so I don't know how much I'll be able to do. Sundays are my knitting days...no work for me. So we'll see what I can get done those days.

ArtLady1981
03-12-2007, 08:39 PM
Thanks for your complimentary comments! I loved knitting this afghan, mostly because the yarn was so yummy. I purchased it from a Rowan lady in the UK. She sells the bag of 10 for $65 with FREE SHIPPING.
(LYS prices is about $11.95 per skein)

She has 3 colors for sale right now...a great winterwhite, a silvery blue, and a dark rust/red. If you need a different color, send her an email throught the ASK SELLER A QUESTION located by the yarn description.
Here is her Ebay shop link:

RowanYarnEbayLady (http://search.stores.ebay.com/Cucumberpatch-UK_polar_W0QQfciZ9QQfclZ4QQfsnZCucumberpatchQ20UKQ QfsooZ2QQfsopZ2QQfsubZ12QQftsZ2QQsaselZ16608349QQs ofpZ0.com)

I have done lots of business with this Rowan yarn lady. She is a stellar seller....with impeccable yarn, and great service! She does sell other yarns as well. This yarn tip is for those of us who have earned New Yarn Rewards! There are lots of us! Well, the price is right for a quality yarn.

A "plus" about doing an afghan: no seaming, no shaping, no sizing!
Just knitting! And knitting, and knitting, and knitting! :teehee:

jamadian75
03-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Hello all!
I'm SO impressed by the photos of finished objects, and by those that are sticking to their goals!!

Here's a shot of something I made with recylced yarn from a sweater I unravelled last year (purchased at Goodwill for $3.49). http://farm1.static.flickr.com/183/416463105_644092d564_m.jpg

There's a tutorial on yarn recycling here (http://neauveau.com/recycledyarn.html)

...and here it is modeled by my neice (it was her 1st birthday gift along with some college fund $$) :teehee:

misha rf
03-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Awwww....what a cute model!! And a lovely sweater!

The socks are so pretty (still working up the nerve to do socks).

And :heart: the afghan, ArtLady!!

ArtLady1981
03-13-2007, 01:32 PM
I emailed a question to the Rowan yarn lady. She sells Rowan yarn on her Ebay shop very reasonably priced. I asked her what additional colors she has in stock of my afghan yarn "Polar". Here is her response:

Thanks for your email. The throw is fabulous! We have a few packs of stony (beige) Truffle (dark brown) Combat (very very dark green) Silver lining (pale grey/blue) Winterwhite and Jaffa (burnt orange). Some colours are very limited.
Happy knitting
Bye for now
Jane
www.cucumberpatch.co.uk

Yesterday I Posted a link to her Ebay yarn shop, but as you can see above, she also has a separate website. Anyway, for anyone interested in making a Rowan Polar afghan, whether small, medium or large like mine...hers is the shop to visit! BTW: my afghan is 55x75, size XL...and it took 20 skeins on US11 needles. The pattern called for a worsted weight on size 8 or 9. I tweaked the size to XL by using bulky yarn on larger needles.

ArtLady1981
03-13-2007, 01:43 PM
Hi Jamadian! Your lilac "recycled yarn" sweater that Janaya is wearing is beautiful! WOW. And thanks so much for taking time to share the "how-to recycle yarn" link with us! I have been toying with unraveling a sweater... to re-knit a wool cardigan I knit for myselff...it is waaay too long for 5' me. It kinda grew over time...it is knit diagonally...on the bias...and it was larger than I needed in the first place. It falls at my knee now. It kinda looks ridiculous. I wear it with jeans or a long jean skirt to offset how long it is. I blocked the pieces before seaming...so if I unravel it... I will have a bowl of kinks, unsuitable for re-knitting unless measures are taken to straighten it out. So once again, thanks for that useful link!

ArtLady1981
03-13-2007, 01:54 PM
Hi ThisChickKnits! Great idea! Yes, what you are doing definitely counts for stashbusting! The spirit of stashbusting is for our yarn to end up being "used by someone" or "be on someone"! You have the right idea! Thanks for sharing!

Hi LauraKnits! Love your socks! Thanks for taking time to share photos with us! I really mean it....I am going to take a sock class this year! I love handknit socks!

Hi AuburnChick! Your socks are beautiful! Did you use a self-striping yarn, or several skeins of different colors? I will use self-striping yarn for my first pair of socks! Store samples I have seen are really nice! Thanks for taking time to Post our photos! Not everyone is able to, or has the right equipment to do it...but even if you have the right equipment and skills....it still takes time and effort to do the pixel re-sizing, crop out unnecessary surrounding room details...etc...and get the photo posted!

auburnchick
03-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Hi AuburnChick! Your socks are beautiful! Did you use a self-striping yarn, or several skeins of different colors? I will use self-striping yarn for my first pair of socks! Store samples I have seen are really nice! Thanks for taking time to Post our photos! Not everyone is able to, or has the right equipment to do it...but even if you have the right equipment and skills....it still takes time and effort to do the pixel re-sizing, crop out unnecessary surrounding room details...etc...and get the photo posted!

ArtLady,

The yarn was self-striping, thank goodness. Makes it much easier. The info about the yarn is with the post I made in the Whatcha Knitting forum. ;)

Thanks for the compliments. My kids know that the first thing I want to do when I have a FO is take a picture of it. My DS took the picture of the socks on me. They rib me, but they know I work hard and want to show off. ;)

dustinac
03-13-2007, 04:59 PM
ArtLady :thud: so pretty :cheering: You did a wonderful job!!

auburnchick love the socks you did a great job :cheering:

jamadian75 how cute is she!! I love the sweater :happydance:

I made 2 tiny socks for the swap I'm in.. they are fun to make... I gotta weave in the ends of my baby afghan and then I'll post photos of it and I think I need to take a pict of my bath mitt too :?? I'll get it done soon :happydance:

heykaren
03-13-2007, 05:25 PM
I love seeing pictures of everyoneīs progress!!!! I will be overwhelming you with pix when my cameraīs out of the shop..... :pout:

Art Lady - LOVE the afghan!!!!

Jamadian - your little niece is adorable, especially in her new top!

I gotta learn to make socks....

Dustinac - youīve already done 2 mini socks??? I started the other day and have about an inch done :doh: Iīve never done it before and everything is so tiny.....

Keep on stashinī everybody!!!! Karen

heykaren
03-13-2007, 05:26 PM
or is it "de-stashing"....... Karen

auburnchick
03-13-2007, 05:51 PM
Keep on stashinī everybody!!!! Karen

I like your thinking!

dustinac
03-13-2007, 06:48 PM
:teehee: I'm back with photos.. decided to go ahead and get the weaving over.. I still haven't washed and blocked it yet though..

Baby Afghan used Red heart baby soft...
Bath Mitt using linen isle
mini socks for swap on another site using plymouth kroy for the pink and black one on size 0s... using Encore DK for the varg one on size 1s..

HeyKaren :cheering: you'll be ok I'd hate to see me if it was my first hang in there!!

ArtLady1981
03-13-2007, 07:34 PM
Hi there Dustinac!!! THANKS for posting photos of your FO's!!!!!
The yarn you chose for the baby afghan is PERFECT!! It has an interesting mix of colorations...but still allows the patterning to show!! VERY NICE!!!

ArtLady1981
03-13-2007, 08:04 PM
Hey there Dustinac!!! THANKS for posting the photos!!! What are the mini socks used for? Dumb question I know...but I really don't know! Also, the baby afghan is sooooo perfect! You chose just the right yarn for the pattern!!! Thanks for the closeup of the blanket!! :hug:

Here's what knittin' at my house:

Whilst in the final throes of the Red Aran Afghan, I started the "Dollar and a Half" cardigan (featured in the latest Interweave Knits). I am using a true red red red, using Cloud 9 by Cascade. Love it! Luscious yarn. I am a sucker for red and a bigger sucker for soft! The pattern is rather tedious knitting...sooooo...

In the meantime, I have also started a 4 piece Bouton d'Or baby set for a friend of mine. She has been in the hospital for 2 months on bed rest. She is having a baby girl in May. So far, the pregnancy is safe. Even if the baby come early...she is safe. My girlfriend has one other child, an 18 yr old! Needless to say, this baby is going to be precious to her! The knitted "set" will be a jacket, hat and two different jumpers...using Lara Endless Summer Cotton (24-26 st = 4"). I am using 7 different warm colors for the outfits...which have color blocks, striping, floral embellishments, etc. Colors: Butter yellow, pumpkin, rust, warm red, khaki brown, olive green, and lt purple. I got the yarn for a great price about 3 years ago from www.elann.com. They sell quality yarns at obscenely great prices, which is why I overbought so many yarns that I didn't have a clue what I'd do with! Then begins the "hunt" for the right project! I will take a photo of the yarns later. Unconventional colors for a baby. Making size 6-9 months. A lot of the young mothers like unexpected colors for baby garments these days. My friend is African-American, and her baby girl will look great wearing this warm color palette!I have knit several things for my own granddaughters using these same warm colorations! Color work is fun!

ArtLady1981
03-13-2007, 08:33 PM
Well, I'm back. That didn't take long. Here are photos of the 4-pc. baby set (using Stash Yarn!) that I am all excited about! The pattern book has 60 baby/child garments, and stuffed toys. Bouton d'Or pattern book, purchased 7 years ago. This is the first time I have actually knit anything from it! Sigh. :pout:
It is the most fabulous book! What took me so long??? :verysad:

lissalue
03-13-2007, 08:42 PM
those patterns are gorgeous, as is the yarn you are going to use. i really would like to get that book, yarnbaby needs some knitted clothes. :teehee:

misha rf
03-13-2007, 09:31 PM
ArtLady, those are adorable!!!

Dustinac, those socks! The cute! And love the afghan, too.

Just finished my first successful baby hat! I'd never heard of Trendsetter Yarns before, but I liked it. I used it doublestranded to make a warmer hat. One more warm item, and I'm sending the FO's off!

I'll try to get a pic of the hat & failed hat/new bowl tomorrow.

auburnchick
03-13-2007, 10:49 PM
Ok. I am truly in awe of y'all! Such beautiful projects. Y'all are just cranking them out.

I must confess to a bit of jealousy! My newest college term started on Monday, and I am so totally swamped! Overwhelmed... All I wanna do is knit in my "spare" time.

Oh well...I live vicariously through y'all until I get my next break. :clink:

ArtLady1981
03-14-2007, 05:12 AM
Hi Lissalue!

I tried to find information regarding the issue number and month and year for my Bouton d'Or booklet...but it is all in French. The printed instruction booklet (separate) is the English version, though. If I can't locate the info for you, I will call my LYS owner and ask her. I bought it at her shop about 7 years ago. In the meantime, visit the Bouton website. www.boutondor.com It may give you some leads! I looked there to find out the yardage for 'pattern's skeins', because I was substituting with Stash Yarn.

Will send you a PM when I get more info for ya!

nadja la claire
03-14-2007, 05:41 PM
Hi'ya Nadja!
The bobbles are tiresome, but easy. My afghan bobbles were a 5 step process into one stitch!
1) Knit into the front/then the back/then the front of the regular "stitch", thereby you have made 3 stitches out of the one original stitch.
2) Turn your work around with the WS facing you and do this:
purl the 1st stitch, purl twice into the 2nd stitch, purl once into the 3rd stitch. (5 stitches now exist)
3) Turn your work around again, with the RS facing you and do this:
Just plain knit the 5 stitches created on step 2.
4) Turn the work around again, with the WS facing you and do this:
Purl 2 stitches together/ purl one / purl the last 2 stitches together. (3 st remain)
5) Turn the work around again, with the RS facing you and do this:
slip the first two stitches to your right needle; then K the next; then pass the 2 slipped stitches over the knitted stitch. (1 stitch remains)
One bobble made!

Then continue on with your normal knitting for the remainder of the row.

I hope this helps! Under Advanced Techniques/Decorative Stitches...it says that a video for bobbles is coming soon. The 5 step bobble process I gave you makes extra large bobbles. Some patterns call for more petite bobbles, and the 5 step process is slightly altered. But, the principle is the same.

Hugs! :hug: And thanks for the Kudos! :happydance:

Thanks ArtLady for the the tutorial. I hope that Amy can do that video soon, but I'm sure she's very busy.

Nadja xxx

BostonBecca
03-14-2007, 06:30 PM
I was showing the BF around Portland and not knitting so much...I did finish the stepfather's scarf however and he loves it! He asked me when I am going to start doing sweaters...My response was when he buys the yarn.

Limey
03-14-2007, 06:36 PM
I was mooching through my stash the other day, wondering what the hell all I could do with pale pink, lemon, white, apple green and pale blue wool - left-over from knitting for babies and toddlers - when I came across this:

/knittersreview.com/article_how_to.asp?article=/review/profile/010726_a.asp

If you don't mind tying knots, it's a pretty neat way of using up surplus wool

Only problem I have now is convincing the babies' Mums that their offspring won't look as if they've been in an explosion in a wool factory.

All the Best

Limey

jamadian75
03-14-2007, 08:14 PM
I was mooching through my stash the other day, wondering what the hell all I could do with pale pink, lemon, white, apple green and pale blue wool - left-over from knitting for babies and toddlers - when I came across this:

/knittersreview.com/article_how_to.asp?article=/review/profile/010726_a.asp

If you don't mind tying knots, it's a pretty neat way of using up surplus wool

Only problem I have now is convincing the babies' Mums that their offspring won't look as if they've been in an explosion in a wool factory.

All the Best

Limey

:heart: this idea!!

HeatherFeather
03-14-2007, 09:55 PM
I know...isn't that great!!!

I had the "concept" down....but not the mechanics down...this was a head thumping, why didn't I think of doing it that way moment!!!!

HeatherFeather
03-15-2007, 08:14 AM
On the spreadsheet, I put 2 new pages. One is the participants list (same, just renamed it), and then I put the Commandments on there. :) And then I added a link page. That's empty for now. I'll put headings for common links I see posted here (an anyone else can too!!!) but I'm heading out the door for work right now, so it'll have to wait :) till later

auburnchick
03-15-2007, 08:38 AM
Posted this in Whatcha Knitting, but thought I would post here too since I used stash yarn.

Love the project...quick and easy!

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/DSC01961.jpg

DotMom61
03-15-2007, 10:37 AM
but then I was thinking what about the person that is knitting an afghan say with scraps...I'd like to acknowledge them somehow...since their completed list won't be as impressive as say premie baby hats...ya know? both are worth recognizing but have different "issues".....

I don't have time to go through the pages I've missed over the past 11 days, but I wanted to suggest that perhaps instead of PROJECTS finished, we count the number of balls of yarn we knit through. :?? Whaddaya think???

HeatherFeather
03-15-2007, 12:17 PM
love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

DeAnzaJig
03-15-2007, 07:38 PM
Hi...lurker here. I don't have a stash, just a bunch of patterns and yarn for projects I plan on starting.

I've been reading through this tread and had to post to tell ArtLady how beautiful her afghan is! When I saw those pictures, I was so impressed!

:notworthy:

Of course, I love looking at everyone's FO pictures as well!

I'm rooting you all on from the sidelines. :)

dustinac
03-15-2007, 10:34 PM
ArtLady~ those are really cute :cheering:

Auburnchick~ love the calorimetry in SWS.. I wear my often.. my little girl wants one :teehee:

I like the idea of the scrap ball.. hmmm have to look into that some more..

The small socks are for a swap I signed up on a different swap lol I thought they were really cute.. on the site they mentioned this http://www.feltupdesigns.com/sockblocker_keychains.htm so I ordered me one so I can have a small sock key chain :rofl: while knitting them I thought about doing a bunch and making Christmas Garland out of them... I'm not sure I will do that.. there is a KAL that is started on here too and they give a site that has a lot of different ideas for them... you could prolly make a brooch out of them too.. or a magnet...

I'm working away on my socks still.. getting ready to start Dashing for my dad out of stash yarn too... :happydance:

jamadian75
03-15-2007, 11:17 PM
Posted this in Whatcha Knitting, but thought I would post here too since I used stash yarn.

Hey Nathalie! I see you're in the sunshine state too like me :waving:!! Very tropical colors in your Calorimetry! NICE!

auburnchick
03-15-2007, 11:34 PM

Hey Nathalie! I see you're in the sunshine state too like me :waving:!! Very tropical colors in your Calorimetry! NICE!

Totally unplanned, I can assure you. My mind does not think that far ahead on my knitting projects. I just grabbed this yarn because I had ordered it, mistakenly, for socks. Shows what I know. :roflhard:

BostonBecca
03-16-2007, 01:27 AM
It's cute, but pictures on my blog will have to wait until I get back to Boston probably! I love how quick a knit it is and how it turns out. I am making one for myself soon probably using a multicolored yarn because I love how it looks made with multicolored yarn.

HeatherFeather
03-16-2007, 06:40 AM
I know I've cross posted, but this gets more traffic, and maybe we can entice more to play!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

OK, I did it, and now...I'm off to bed!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the spreadsheet
Page 1: Participants
Page 2: Stashie Commanments plus ideas I've seen along the way!!!
Page 3: I've put all the links yall have graciously shared in columns based on the type of project. (all 51 pages of them!!!) If I've missed something that you've suggested, you can go ahead and put the link in. I had to do this inbetween dinner, dh to airport, vet apt, scout meeting, and pick ds up from scouts...it was an oversight, not a direct ommission!!! lol....

misha rf
03-16-2007, 10:44 AM
WOW! HeatherFeather, the spreadsheet looks great! Thanks for all your hard work on that!

HeatherFeather
03-16-2007, 12:39 PM
Thanks!!! I'm a total adult ADD sufferer....and the hyperfocusing pays off sometimes!!!!!!!!!

Eloewien
03-16-2007, 02:06 PM
Ditto on the ADD...

I finished projects and then was bad at the LYS yesterday... it was mostly $1-2 ea for yarns that sell for $12-15 normally... that I just couldn't pass up...

Two summer tops and dunno what I'll do with the noro... I put a post in the main forum, but figured I would put the cutest one here too...

ArtLady1981
03-16-2007, 04:34 PM
Well, it happened again...I haven't been receiving email notifications for our Year of the Stash thread for a couple days. I just got here using my IE browser! WOW! What a wonderful bunch of NEW POSTS!

I especially appreciated the link that Limey supplied! It didn't work from her post...but, I saw that it was on Knitter's Review website, under How to's...so I located the Magic Ball of Yarn directions there! WOW! That is such a way cool idea! THANKS LIMEY!! I love your sense of humor! "Mooching through my Stash!"... :rofl:

AuburnChick! The headband looks beautiful on you! That is you, isn't it? You really are an auburn-haired lady!! Love red hair in any shade! God's gift of color!

Dustinac! Thanks for the link! I had seen those itty bitty socks on one of our Posts (was it yours?)...and wondered what the little guys were used for? Dolls? Preemies? Hey, keychains! Who'da thunk it? Cool! :happydance:

HeatherFeather! Thanks for ramping up our Completed Projects thread! I will visit the site right after this!

And, I love all of our "Lurkers"! Keep hangin' in with us! Thanks for your comments and support!

HUGS TO ALL! :hug:

I am off to knit-a-bit now. I have completed the back and two fronts of the little baby jacket (posted a photo of the pattern page on page 50 of our thread). I am working on the striped sleeves now. It is fun to create your own color sequences! Should be able to post a photo of the completed sweater early next week. I have two art shows this weekend...so that bites into my knitting progress. Unless I wanna trade sleep for knitting...who's ever done that....? :eyebrow:

auburnchick
03-16-2007, 04:39 PM
AuburnChick! The headband looks beautiful on you! That is you, isn't it? You really are an auburn-haired lady!! Love red hair in any shade! God's gift of color!

Yes, unfortunately that is me. However, my hair is more of a dark blonde. It keeps darkening the older I get. I had just washed it before going to work. I don't blow-dry so it was just wet. Plus, to get the color of the calorimetry to come out right, I had to turn off the light in the room, so you can't see my hair color very well.

BTW, my nickname comes from being an Auburn fan (as in Auburn Tigers...Auburn, AL).

Look forward to seeing your latest project! Everything you knit is so pretty!

ArtLady1981
03-16-2007, 05:38 PM
Hi again HeatherFeather! Our updated Completed Projects List is really GREAT! I especially love the simplicity of it. The Commandments are good to keep 'viewable' through that tab! I forget what page they are listed on here in this Year of the Stash thread! And the LINKS tab...what a brilliant idea! I think it is great because we have easy access to links that will help us de-stash! WONDERFUL! We definitely need to add that link that Limey posted...the one located at Knitter Review under How To's: Magic Ball Knitting (http://knittersreview.com/article_how_to.asp?article=/review/profile/010726_a.asp)

Hey there ALL STASHIES! Aren't we fortunate to have HeatherFeather on our Team!??!!!??

The Completed Projects List is just what our Year of the Stash 2007 needed!

Also, an extra thanks to our other Stash Sister who created a thread full of Stash Busting Ideas! Where is that thread located? I cannot find it! I would like to thank her again by name! :muah:

I found her! It is our Stash Sister "Madametj"! Her thread is called StashBuster Ideas...and it is located under Pattern Central!

ArtLady1981
03-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Is it JUST ME...or are there others who don't know how to jump from, let's say, this page 52, directly to page 14 of this thread, without having to mooch thru all the pages inbetween???

Well, I posed my query on a thread that Amy started about abbreviations, and Ingrid from the mod squad, enlightened me! (Thanks again Ingrid!)

At the top of our page...there is a little blue box. It should say page 52 if you are reading this. Let's say, you would like to go directly to page 14 of our Stashie thread. You can clear the number 52, type in 14...and click the little >> arrows on the right of the blue box! VOILA! You will navigate directly to page 14!

Wow, what a time saver! Ole dummie me...I have been navigating page by page by page by page by page....you get my drift???

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

HeatherFeather
03-17-2007, 08:45 AM
I put ALL the links in there, make sure you scroll all the way to the right. No way I was going to html all those links!!!!

The magic ball is "things to do with bits of yarn" and the the thread you talked about, small projects is "projects all in one place" :)

HeatherFeather
03-17-2007, 08:46 AM
AND...Dollyce...I was doing the SAME thing!!! I'm glad you asked that question......it took me FOREVER to find the Commandments page!!!

dustinac
03-17-2007, 09:03 AM
:shrug: I didn't know that either about the pages :teehee: :cheering: thanks for letting us know!!!

Heatherfeather it looks great you have put a lot of work on it.. is there a place for us to let you know how many skeins or sts or what the items are? I wasn't for sure...

I started my dad's dashing (using stash yarn) last night got one done.. hope to get the other done this weekend and in the mail on Monday woohoo... will get pictures later today :happydance:

nadja la claire
03-17-2007, 10:18 AM
Hello all!
I'm SO impressed by the photos of finished objects, and by those that are sticking to their goals!!

Here's a shot of something I made with recylced yarn from a sweater I unravelled last year (purchased at Goodwill for $3.49). http://farm1.static.flickr.com/183/416463105_644092d564_m.jpg

There's a tutorial on yarn recycling here (http://neauveau.com/recycledyarn.html)

...and here it is modeled by my neice (it was her 1st birthday gift along with some college fund $$) :teehee:

OMG that is so cute :inlove: and you and your niece are gorgeous!!!

I can't believe that I missed this post before. :doh:

Nadja xxx

NancyO
03-17-2007, 10:57 AM
Hi, my name is Nancy. I'm from Canada the Great White North that needs warm knitted things for at least one month of the year! hehhehh

I too have a stash created by my mother and left to me. I don't have any novelty or special yarns from her. No natural fibres or anything from her legacy, but it's still a stash! With me being a newbie I think I can use some up as I learn and not be sad I used some specialty yarn to make a lopsided sweater or the like. I can learn to knit with complete freedom! Though I'm not ready to rip anything out that doesn't fit. Am not sabotaging the learning process this early on. I can do the ripping out later if I find I can't guilt someone into taking the project. heheheh just kidding.

So I am dedicated in using the stash.

I did buy some wool the other day though. Wool! (Ok just I'm surprised.) I want to learn how to make it into yarn so I can knit with it. I don't have a drop spindle or anything. If anyone has an easier home grown idea for making bulk wool into yarn I'd sure love some tips! If not, I'll save for a spindle and then make it up. I'm sorry to do this but I must buy wool! hehehheheh I want to do a lot of spinning so I can make yarn whenever I like. And yes, I'll use it! Such a waste to go through so much work just to have it sit in a container rather than in a piece of clothing.

Any way this was my long intro and membership request to be a Stashie. Happy knitting all!

:heart: , Nancy

HeatherFeather
03-17-2007, 01:27 PM
For this month, we are only tallying our completed projects. The skeins/balls used will be a contest in the future. Since everyone's skeins will be different in length, unless we all start off with the same amount at the beginning. That will take more discussion.

This first month, I just wanted everybody really practicing entering SOMETHING in, and I picked completed projects. I know I"ve had some tiny projects that have taken up more space emotionally than those that aren't so little. :)

ArtLady1981
03-17-2007, 03:36 PM
Welcome aboard the Stash Train Nancy!! :muah:

From all your Stash Sisters and Brothers! :muah:

jamadian75
03-17-2007, 06:55 PM
Thanks nadja!! :flirt:

Hi Nancy!!! :waving: I'm a former Canuck too!! (lived in Winnipeg for 10 years, boy do we know COLD!)

My fellow Stashies!! I am proud to announce that is has been nearly 2 months since I last bought yarn AND, I'm even more proud to debut another FO from stash yarn:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/149/424516021_c3cc33901b_m.jpg

I also posted this in Watcha Knittin'? (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=410853#410853)

Doubling the strands helped me to use up nearly 600 yards of yarn! :heart: this pattern!

misha rf
03-17-2007, 11:48 PM
Ooooh...pretty clogs!! I really need to get that pattern.

Here's what I've done this week. And in full disclosure, I'm currently unemployed (it may be several months before I can find something I want in my field). I do volunteer in a couple of places, but I have a lot of time to knit (and a husband who doesn't seem to mind too much). I've got the attention span of a gnat, so small projects work well for me (at least for right now--I also have knitting ADD).

So, we've got the wee stockinette cap in the Trendsetter Yarn Tonalita (modeled by my sweet duckie).

And my first ribbed hat, in Plymouth Baby Alpaca Grande & Catalina Chunky Baby Alpaca/Merino. (*Quack*)

The failed pillbox hat, which I've decided is the perfect size for holding a cake of yarn. (Laines Du Norde)

Two hairbands (one ties; one slips on) made from Flutter-By Kisses, a handspun yarn by Urban GypZ (Stacey Budge). She's got an ETSY shop (link on sidebar of her blog):
http://www.staceybudge.com/urbangypz/

And the last one? Weeeellll...the Husband & I were in a local shop specializing in bird stuff. They were selling little cotton mesh bags with bits of batting, tiny scraps of fabric, etc. in it for nesting. For FIVE BUCKS. I thought momentarily about buying one, but then realized that I could use all those tiny bits of leftover yarn in a mesh bag for the same thing. So I made one. Sort of. It's not pretty, but we'll see if it works.

Oh--the kitty is Valhalla. He loves that chair. So much so that the Husband has pretty much given up on ever getting to sit in it again.

madametj
03-18-2007, 12:05 AM
Hi again HeatherFeather! Our updated Completed Projects List is really GREAT! I especially love the simplicity of it. The Commandments are good to keep 'viewable' through that tab! I forget what page they are listed on here in this Year of the Stash thread! And the LINKS tab...what a brilliant idea! I think it is great because we have easy access to links that will help us de-stash! WONDERFUL! We definitely need to add that link that Limey posted...the one located at Knitter Review under How To's: Magic Ball Knitting (http://knittersreview.com/article_how_to.asp?article=/review/profile/010726_a.asp)

Hey there ALL STASHIES! Aren't we fortunate to have HeatherFeather on our Team!??!!!??

The Completed Projects List is just what our Year of the Stash 2007 needed!

Also, an extra thanks to our other Stash Sister who created a thread full of Stash Busting Ideas! Where is that thread located? I cannot find it! I would like to thank her again by name! :muah:

I found her! It is our Stash Sister "Madametj"! Her thread is called StashBuster Ideas...and it is located under Pattern Central!

thanx ArtLady :muah: . i feel kinda bad, though. i havent posted any in a few days. its seemed as if i'd runout of places to look! i'll find some though. u can count on that :thumbsup:

HeatherFeather
03-18-2007, 06:57 AM
they ALL look great!!! Good thing you are taking the time to do stuff YOU want to do. So many times with unemployment you worry the time away!!!

DotMom61
03-18-2007, 11:29 AM
Well, here's the scoop on my stash busting. I have ... uh, let's see :counts on fingers: ... FIVE stash-busting projects on the needles. :oops: I am NOT motivated to finish any of them, but I will. I just don't know when.

Yesterday, I went to visit Kelly @ Chix w/ Stix (but she was home sorta sickly :( ), and I spent my birthday money on some lovely Apple Spice Malabrigo to make the Emma Jacket (http://www.knitpicks.com/Books/itemid_50512/books_display). I've had this on my list of projects to knit for MONTHS, and I'm happy to finally be able to start it. It's a long-term project, so I'll still keep plugging away on the other projects, too.

I've had a rather frustrating knitty time lately. I just can't find anything that I'm excited about, or that I have the time to sit down and finish. {sigh} Oh well, I guess I should remember that this is a hobby and not get too terribly stressed out about it. :lol:

NancyO
03-18-2007, 12:59 PM
Thanks all for the welcomes!

I'll be looking for a camera so I can submit my FO's. I truly am I newbie and only have two FO, nothing to the vast experience here, and will be happy to show them when I can.

:heart: , Nancy

dustinac
03-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Welcome Nancy!!! :happydance:

:oops: still no picts.. soon.. :rofl:

madametj
03-18-2007, 07:49 PM
hey stashies:

just wanted to say that i can use your help over at the Stashbuster (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26177) thread. all you have to do is add a pattern that uses just one skein of yarn. your contributions will be appreciated by all of us stashies!

Thank you! :muah:

thischicknits
03-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Here is one of my FO's

HeatherFeather
03-18-2007, 08:45 PM
I made this muff for a friend of mine's granddaughter. She bought the fuzzy yarn, and I added the base yarn from my stash. She wanted to pay me, and I said...hmmm, you bought the yarn I could use, and I got RID of some of MY yarn...so I said...we're even!!!

hmmmm...no....lol....

Ok....

so....thinking back

I'll give the pattern for the pink one and you can make modifications?

Supplies:
Fun Fur
Worsted Weight Yarn
4 size 6 DPN needles (or what ever you feel comfortable knitting with, the six's were tight, but doable)

using knit CO , cast on 36 stitches 2 yarns together (or any amount divisble by 6).

Knit until "muff length" or you get tired of the fun fur.

Break Fun Fur, leave worsted weight yarn

Row 1: p
Row 2: *k3,p3*
Row 3:*k1,p1*

Repeat Rows 2 & 3 until when lining is folded over it is about 1 inch less than the muff length.

This part is tricky. You want to now insert the lining into the muff, and you might have to actually take off the needles to do this, but take it slow and be patient. BUT, I just realized that if you turned the muff inside out BEFORE you started the lining, it would be MUCH easier to do....just play with it. The end result is the lining inside the muff, and live stitches are next to the CO stitches.

Now, one by one, pick up one of the CO stitches, and K the first stitch on the needle together with the CO stitch. I use the K2tog bind off method for nearly all my bind offs as it is VERY stretchy and loose.

In a rhythm it goes like this:
1. Pick up 1 cast on stitch and put on left needle
2. Knit CO stitch together with first stitch on left needle
3. Repeat 1 & 2
4. 2 stitches on right needle
5. K 2 sts on right needle tog by placing left needle in front of both stitches and knit.
6. Repeat 1-5 until all the way around.
7. Break yarn, pull through loop, and tuck the tails into the muff and you are done.

Not terribly sure how "kosher" this is, but it worked for me and it was SECURE.

misha rf
03-18-2007, 08:48 PM
I'm wanting some of these patterns...that kitty is too cute!!

Is the muff pattern floating around here, too?

madametj
03-19-2007, 12:29 AM
thanx for the pattern, Heather :hug:

ArtLady1981
03-19-2007, 05:15 AM
Hi Misha! Hi ChickWhoKnits! LOVE YOUR FO's!!! And the photos were a HOOT! :heart: Thanks for taking the time and effort to share PHOTOS!!! Made my day! :muah:

jamadian75
03-19-2007, 12:58 PM
I've had a rather frustrating knitty time lately. I just can't find anything that I'm excited about, or that I have the time to sit down and finish. {sigh} Oh well, I guess I should remember that this is a hobby and not get too terribly stressed out about it. :lol:

Sorry to hear that Julie! :hug:
I've been in that kind of mood before too...usually after I worked on something that took a long time, or something that had an anti-climatic finish. Things that helped....organizing my stash, indexing my needles, pattern browsing, blogging about knitting, or searching for new tips & techniques for no specific project.

You'll be back on track again soon! Maybe you could register for a class at Stitches to give you something in the future to look forward to!

ArtLady1981
03-19-2007, 02:33 PM
Hi Heather! LOVE THE HAND WARMERS!!! My youngest granddaughters (7 of them) will be receiving handwarmers for next winter's cold blast!
Not this year...already knit up my Stash Fun Fur! Wait! I think I do have some white fun fur...bought it to trim a baby parka in December. Over-bought, I should say, as WAS usual for me! Well, this whit/cream fun fur is a 'limpy' kind of fun fur...so, if I double it with a worsted or dk...I should be able to knock out some cute handwarmers! Ohhhh...another project! Well, they look like they are QUICK-TO-KNIT!

Thanks for sharing the pattern! :muah:

nadja la claire
03-19-2007, 02:51 PM
Thanks nadja!! :flirt:

Hi Nancy!!! :waving: I'm a former Canuck too!! (lived in Winnipeg for 10 years, boy do we know COLD!)

My fellow Stashies!! I am proud to announce that is has been nearly 2 months since I last bought yarn AND, I'm even more proud to debut another FO from stash yarn:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/149/424516021_c3cc33901b_m.jpg

I also posted this in Watcha Knittin'? (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=410853#410853)

Doubling the strands helped me to use up nearly 600 yards of yarn! :heart: this pattern!

Those are so cool!!! :cheering: :cheering:

One day I'll make my clogs. I'm still trying to decipher the pattern. :??

Nadja xxx

HeatherFeather
03-19-2007, 03:20 PM
ya, they are fairly quick to knit, and the first part, the muff is brainless knitting, just in the round.

The second part it a bit more tedious, but not difficult at all.

dustinac
03-19-2007, 03:21 PM
:rofl: I love that cat!!!
the clogs look great too.. I still haven't made myself a pair :oops: the kids got theirs.. mommy didn't get hers... yet... :teehee:

Heather Feather.. my dd would love one of those.. she is into dress up and being a princess she is 3... thanks for posting the pattern :cheering:

ok I'm off to get the pictures of dashing off my camera before I forget again.. :wall:

ETA: the Dashings are made from Cleckheaton Country 8ply Naturals.. I had packed these when I remebered no photo.. so had to un pack them last night and take fast photos then pack them back up... :teehee:

The Dream Swatch is made from Bernat Cool Crochet... It snags a bit on my fingers.. but I'm kinda wondering what it would look like as a tank for my little girl.. maybe in the blue color they have..

anyways it was all stash yarn.. :cheering:

HeatherFeather
03-19-2007, 04:13 PM
GREAT work!!! :)

I've made 3 muffs, and it's so funny...people are like..."I remember those" all nostalic and wistful!!!

It's SO nice to have in the car before the car warms up!!! :)

ArtLady1981
03-19-2007, 04:49 PM
Hey there Dustinac! Waaaay to go! Great work, and thanks for taking the time to Post photos! :heart: I realllllly must make myself the following necessities: wristwarmers/fingerless gloves, socks, and the stocking hat that has no crown/top that mattes down the hair! I have yet to do any of these wonderful things! Sigh. :pout:

Eloewien
03-20-2007, 12:44 AM
I'm working on the dreamswatch too :) I need to take pictures!

dustinac
03-20-2007, 08:08 AM
Thank you :cheering:

I'm working on the dreamswatch too :) I need to take pictures!

:cheering: it looks better in person the colors are brighter.. if the sun would ever come out I'd take it outside for better picts... come on spring... :teehee:

ArtLady~I love the fingerless gloves and socks!! However most of my knitting comes off my needles and then I wave bye to it as it goes out the door :rofl:

HeatherFeather~ they really are cute.. I'll have to make some before next winter... :happydance:

ArtLady1981
03-20-2007, 06:57 PM
Well, I have the "Choux" baby jacket fronts, back and sleeves done...and blocked, and awaiting collar, seaming, and buttons. Whilst I was waiting for the blocking process, I started and finished the little hat!
I JUST LOVE IT! I am knitting a similar flower for the right front jacket panel, but with stem and 3 leaves! I wonder what Choux means in French. The book, Bouton d'Or, is a French book, with English instructions, but much of it remains French. Hhmmm. May have to Google "french language". The book is filled with errors. Don't recommend it for new knitters. An old timey like me can "wing it"...but it is frustrating!

Now I am gonna go over to our Completed Projects thread and enter an additional "1" for me for March! :cheering:

Stay tuned for photos of the jacket and jumper!!!

BTW, my "rush" is that the baby was born (c-section) last Saturday, 2 months premature...but a baby shower will be in the calendar soon, I am sure! The baby is African-American. Won't these colors be beautiful on her? Obviously, the set will fit her next Spring...but it is nice to get baby things for later...not just now.

heykaren
03-20-2007, 07:06 PM
ArtLady - that hat is just adorable!!!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the colors..... Youīll have to try to get a pic of the baby wearing the set to post for us!

Finally got some pix of my FO, but will have to wait till tomorrow to post them ( itīs getting late here and Iīve got to get up early... )

Karen

auburnchick
03-20-2007, 08:41 PM

You rule, ArtLady!!

BEAUTIFUL!!!

thischicknits
03-20-2007, 11:24 PM
I'm a nerdy one, so here you go:

Chou \Chou\, n.; pl. Choux. [F., fr. L. caulis stalk.]
1. A cabbage.

2. A kind of light pastry, usually in the form of a small
round cake, and with a filling, as of jelly or cream.

3. A bunch, knot, or rosette of ribbon or other material,
used as an ornament in women's dress.

ArtLady1981
03-20-2007, 11:50 PM
Thank you, thischickknits! I found the "pastry" explanation finally by googling "french language"...but, for the life of me, I don't understand what connection any of the meanings for "choux" have to do with this jacket set! Sigh.
Thanks for the help! Take a look at my post on page 51...I posted photos of the pattern page...tell me...do you see a connection with cabbage, pastry or knots/rosettes/bunches? Maybe a cabbage patch??!!

Thanks again for taking time to help me! :muah:

BostonBecca
03-21-2007, 12:30 AM
I think the name of the pattern is probably inspired by the shape of "les choux" which refers to the cabbages, which I believe also inspired the name of the pastry due to its characteristic shape. You can see a picture here: http://kewl.phear.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=2787. You can also do a goodle image search and you will get the idea very quickly. I think if you looked at the hat from the top you would see the center bulbous part of the hat that goes on the head which looks like the main part of the cabbage and the outer brim is supposed to look like the outer leaves of the cabbage plant.

I'm a not so closet francophile.

ArtLady1981
03-21-2007, 07:27 AM
Thanks BostonBecca! I think you hit it on the nose, or, on the cabbage!
The outfit "title" is inspired from the overall look of the little hat!

:muah: Mystery Solved! :muah:

Edit: right after I posted the paragraph just above, I checked my Outlook Email Inbox. I received a response from the Bouton d'Or French folks who authored the pattern book. I had visited their website, and clicked "contact us" and asked the question: what does the word Choux mean with regards to the pattern name? Here is what they responded"

Hello,
Many thanks for your interest.
Can you look the pictures at this website. I hope you will understand better
http://lesbeauxjardins.com/jardinons/potager/fiches/apchoux.htm
Sorry for my bad english
Best
Ghislaine

BostonBecca and thischickknits: you were RIGHT! :hug:

misha rf
03-21-2007, 12:34 PM
ArtLady, that is beautiful!!! That little girl is gonna look so cute wearing it!

I've done a couple more hats. And I made some pompoms. I bought the Clover pompom maker, and wanted to try it out before making the official one to add to the hat. I made five good ones (the first one's kinda wimpy looking) and then put them in a bag of catnip & shook them. The cats are enjoying them, although the Husband's told me I need to make a few more so each cat has one.

Oh--and I'm sending my little sis another skein of my Noro. She earned it--she sewed up the baby sweater for me. I had a hard time with it, and got reallyreallyreally frustrated (note to self: no seaming with PMS) & sent it to her. She did a great job!

Mulderknitter
03-21-2007, 12:42 PM
ooooh stasbushter idea! pom poms for the kitties! I love it :heart:

heykaren
03-21-2007, 12:45 PM
OK, so here are some pix of my stash projects:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n219/heykaren/Projects/myhomespunafghan.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n219/heykaren/Projects/mybluesweater.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n219/heykaren/Projects/entralacscarf.jpg

Iīve finished two other sweaters, but they werenīt from stash. I didn`t realize until I laid the afghan out for the picture thatīs itīs pretty square. But, I used up every last bit of my Homespun on it ( had to finish binding off with only the pumpkin colored yarn - also stash ) So Iīm thinking this summer when I visit my Mom in the states, Iīll try to pick up another color of Homespun to make some borders to make it a bit more rectangular. Itīs going to be a Christmas present for DH ( see, stashbusting AND preparing for Christmas... :happydance: ) so I have time to "fix" it.

Any suggestions???

The scarf is the Danica entrelac challenge here on KH. Itīs fun, but IĻm a bit slow.......

Karen

jamadian75
03-21-2007, 04:12 PM
:inlove:

ArtLady - THAT IS HAT IS WAY TOO CUTE!! :cheering:

jamadian75
03-21-2007, 04:25 PM
OK, so here are some pix of my stash projects:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n219/heykaren/Projects/myhomespunafghan.jpg

Iīve finished two other sweaters, but they werenīt from stash. I didn`t realize until I laid the afghan out for the picture thatīs itīs pretty square. But, I used up every last bit of my Homespun on it ( had to finish binding off with only the pumpkin colored yarn - also stash ) So Iīm thinking this summer when I visit my Mom in the states, Iīll try to pick up another color of Homespun to make some borders to make it a bit more rectangular. Itīs going to be a Christmas present for DH ( see, stashbusting AND preparing for Christmas... :happydance: ) so I have time to "fix" it.

Any suggestions???

The scarf is the Danica entrelac challenge here on KH. Itīs fun, but IĻm a bit slow.......

Karen

Karen - WOWZA! You're doing a great job on these and they all look so good!

If you're asking for bordering suggestions, may I suggest seed stitch? (K the purls and purl the knits) for several rows on each edge. It makes a really nice texture, and a nice border that lays very flat - which your afghan seems to do already.

:heart: Really well done!

ArtLady1981
03-21-2007, 05:06 PM
Hey Karen! Thanks soooo much for the photos of you FO's! The blanket is great! Here's another idea for adding length to each end: use a deeper shade/color. A contrasting border! Or how 'bout this: same pattern, but, two colors as follows: 3 repeats (basketweave pattern?) in length in contrast color A...and then 3 repeats of pattern in contrast color B. So, if the blanket is a beige...contrast color A will be tan...and contrast B will be chocolate. You would be adding 6 pattern repeats at each end, and I think using two contrast colors will make it look 'planned' rather than an afterthought. It will look masculine as well.

Hey Misha! :cheering: Your cats are spoiled! :cheering: Catnip pompoms! Cool! Thanks for the idea!
I will pass it on to my knitting buddy. She has seven cats and a soft heart! :heart:

Well, the Choux Jacket and Hat set IS DONE!!!! Whilst the neckline was blocking, I started the little jumper. Should have that done tomorrow. Much simpler!

Jan in CA
03-21-2007, 05:07 PM
:passedout: OMG that is gorgeous, Artlady!! Your knitting is just beautiful! Is this for someone special?

ArtLady1981
03-21-2007, 05:21 PM
The sweater set is a gift for a young woman who has given birth to her 2nd baby in 18 years (the first daughter is 18!) The mother has been in the hospital for 2 months on bed rest. She went into labor again last week, so the doctor delivered the baby girl c-section. The baby girl is still 2 months premature! This will be our Congregation's miracle baby! A baby shower will be given as soon as the mother regains her strength, and feels up to it. She is very weak from being in a hosptial bed (flat on her back!) for 2 months.

jamadian75
03-21-2007, 05:24 PM
A young (34-ish) woman had her 2nd baby girl in 18 years (the first daughter is 18!) The mother has been in the hospital for 2 months on bed rest. She went into labor again last week, so the doctor delivered the baby girl c-section. The baby girl is still 2 months premature! This will be our Congregation's miracle baby! A baby shower will be given as soon as the mother regains her strength, and feels up to it. She is very weak from being in a hosptial bed (flat on her back!) for 2 months.

:notworthy: :notworthy:
What a well knit blessing!

heykaren
03-21-2007, 06:58 PM
ArtLady - your set looks just like the one in the pattern picture!!!! IĻm in awe!!!!!! Itīs just beautiful! And I LOVE the colors!

Thanks for the suggestions about using 2 colors - hadn`t thought of that. Not sure if Iīll repeat the pattern or try something like the seed stitch - I like that one! Oh well, I guess this is still a WIP, huh?

Has anyone ever lined an afghan? Iīm planning on using it on the couch, and DH can be a "bit" rough on the blankets, and IĻm afraid heīll put a toe through the afghan and pull it. So I thought I might be able to get some flannel or a nice cotton to put on the back ( thereīs no pattern there anyway ) and stitch it on.

Thanks - Karen

ArtLady1981
03-21-2007, 07:11 PM
Hey Karen! I have lined blankets! I used to crosstitch nursery designes onto cream-color woven blankets...for my grandbabies. Because the reversve side shows all the icky woven ends, etc....I would line the blanket with cream satin.
Cut the fabric 1/2" larger all around than the blanket, press under the 1/2"...then begin to stitch it down all around the edges, using backstitch. Then, of course, you have to "tack" the lining to the blanket within the field of the blanket. I would put about 9 tacks...three across, three down. That should do it. It doesn't take many. I have a crosstitch blanket for myself as well. I could post a photo for you if you like, front and back. I personally love the feel of the satin lining! For a hubby, you would certainly use a masculine fabric & pattern! That will be fun to create! :cheering:

jamadian75
03-21-2007, 08:41 PM
Hey Karen! I have lined blankets! I used to crosstitch nursery designes onto cream-color woven blankets...for my grandbabies. Because the reversve side shows all the icky woven ends, etc....I would line the blanket with cream satin.
Cut the fabric 1/2" larger all around than the blanket, press under the 1/2"...then begin to stitch it down all around the edges, using backstitch. Then, of course, you have to "tack" the lining to the blanket within the field of the blanket. I would put about 9 tacks...three across, three down. That should do it. It doesn't take many. I have a crosstitch blanket for myself as well. I could post a photo for you if you like, front and back. I personally love the feel of the satin lining! For a hubby, you would certainly use a masculine fabric & pattern! That will be fun to create! :cheering:

Love this idea too - and I would really love to see pictures :shifty:

HeatherFeather
03-22-2007, 07:45 AM
http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=75080

another "what to do with bits of yarn"..this time with sock yarn.

i've posted it on the tally sheet.

dustinac
03-22-2007, 08:15 AM
:cheering: ~Hey Karen, it all looks great!!! The sweater looks very cozy..

ArtLady~ :happydance: what a cute set!! That is adorable and I hope the baby is doing ok and that she gets her strength back soon... :heart:

Still knitting away on my black and pink sock... :teehee:

misha rf
03-22-2007, 06:03 PM
Yeah, our guys are spoiled rotten. But if you ask them, they'll deny it!

ArtLady, I LOVE that set!! Where'd you get the pattern? I may have need of it. (Not for me (not yet, anyway) but for my sister.)

Karen, your FOs are gorgeous!!

I'm working on another hat (nothin' fancy)--they're soooooo addictive! I'm using the chunky Mmmmmmmalabrigo and LOVING it!!

ArtLady1981
03-22-2007, 07:44 PM
Hi Misha! It is a very old (5 yrs I think) BOUTON D'OR pattern book (French authors) I don't recommend their book/patterns. They are very poorly written...with many errors that have been driving me NUTS. :hair: And, the knitting terminology is also nuts. Wierd. If I were not an experienced knitter with a certain level of confidence in "winging it"...I would have frogged these items, and searched for a different pattern. They might be cute when finally done...but the pattern errors made it UN-FUN to work with. :pout:

That said, THANK YOU for the kudos! I am sure the baby will look adorable next Spring in her Choux set!

I will post photos of that satin-lined, crosstitched blanket later today!

BostonBecca
03-22-2007, 08:13 PM
I am glad I could help with the choux. It was a fun distraction from corporations.

I updated my blog with all my knitting progress!~!! http://nenewbieknitter.blogspot.com/

Everyone's projects look great!

ArtLady1981
03-23-2007, 01:02 AM
Hey there Stash Sisters!

I was in a doctor's office all day...and got a Sugar 'n' Cream (stash!) dishcloth done up! I HAVE A WHOLE HUGE CONE of this stuff...in pure white and wedgewood blue. Sigh.

Well, am almost done with a 2nd one, a little larger...each block of the basketweave is 6 stitches wide instead of the five. Cast on 25 for the first one, and cast on 30 for the second one.

Also posted here is the crosstitch afghan I made back in 1995! Sorry the blanket is a little wrinkled. It was folded up in a basket by my knitting place. I loved making it!

Well, I will go post one more project on our Completed Projects Tally! (the dishcloth!)

HeatherFeather
03-23-2007, 06:29 AM
beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!! "almost" makes me want to try a cross stitch thingy...lol....

auburnchick
03-23-2007, 02:30 PM
beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!! "almost" makes me want to try a cross stitch thingy...lol....

And abandon us??? :teehee:

jamadian75
03-23-2007, 03:17 PM
So, full disclosure...I thought Friday would be a good FLASH YOUR STASH day...here's mine in all it's overwhelming glory :)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/152/377837778_5ce0ae84c5.jpg

I will say however that next Thursday will make 2 consecutive months that I have not bought ANY yarn. Phew! Good thing - I'll have to live in that pile soon if I keep this up :shifty:

PurlyGyrl
03-23-2007, 03:50 PM
To Artlady: :notworthy: Wow, that's a beautiful blanket! You are so talented!

To Jamadian: :passedout: Whoa, that's some stash!

HeatherFeather
03-23-2007, 03:51 PM
HeatherFeather wrote:

And abandon us??? Giggling

nahhh...ya notice I said "almost"...giggle snort...

I can't count, so all my knitting has a gazillion stitch markers so I only really have to count to 5 or 10.

ArtLady1981
03-23-2007, 07:30 PM
Jamadian! YOU ARE HILARIOUS!!! FLASH YOUR STASH day!!! You made my day!!!

Thanks for the complimentary comments PurlyGirl! You made my day!!!

Hey there HeatherFeather! I am trying to make my YEAR OF THE STASH icon a "live link" to our thread. I hope what I did does it! Here goes!

thischicknits
03-23-2007, 09:17 PM
NICE STASH! I like the idea of flash your stash!

misha rf
03-23-2007, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the pattern info, ArtLady. Despite the horrendous instructions, you made a beeeyooouteefull outfit!!

Jamadian, my jaw hit the floor when I saw your stash!

auburnchick
03-24-2007, 02:36 AM
So, full disclosure...I thought Friday would be a good FLASH YOUR STASH day...here's mine in all it's overwhelming glory :)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/152/377837778_5ce0ae84c5.jpg

I will say however that next Thursday will make 2 consecutive months that I have not bought ANY yarn. Phew! Good thing - I'll have to live in that pile soon if I keep this up :shifty:

My stash is very, very small compared to your's!! :roflhard:

Feel free to open your LYS here in my town. ;)

ArtLady1981
03-24-2007, 04:12 AM
OK OK OK....I know I said I would Flash My Stash a few weeeeeks ago!
Jamadian has re-inspired me!! :poke:

I promise....I will get to it in the coming week. Buttttttt...even the thought of dragging it ALL OUT...out of bags, bins, baskets, trunks and a storage closet... :pout: ....well, I'm wiped out already.

:hot:

But, I will get to it! I promise! :pray: Really.

dustinac
03-24-2007, 10:12 AM
ArtLady the blanket is beautiful!!!! :cheering:

Jamadian :rofl: :roflhard:

:passedout: I'm to the foot of my pink and black sock.. this weekend could it get done?? We will have to wait and see what the family has stored for me... :eyes:

ArtLady1981
03-25-2007, 03:42 PM
OK...so I had already organized my Stash first week of January 2007...therefore, this is why most of the yarn is organized into zippered bags, stacked, shelved, etc. I am going to make a concerted effort to actually USE THIS BEAUTIFUL YARN in 2007...2008...2009...er, as many years as it takes!
That said, my FLASH YOUR STASH photos below are not in a big pile...when you see the photos you will know why. I don't think I could fit them into one heap or one photo...and the zippered bags are slippy-slidey anyway...they wouldn't "stack" no way, no how!
So I took photos of them IN THE RECEPTACLE that they currently reside in.
Well, I hope I don't bore you with the following photos! I promised I would FLASH MY STASH...and I finally got the inspiration today...so here it is, in all its embarrassingly huge volume!
:oops:

ArtLady1981
03-25-2007, 03:51 PM
Ok, so here is the rest of FLASH MY STASH!
My previous Post disallowed any additional photos. So here are the remaining photos! :oops:

But....I kept my promise! :cheering:

My name is Dollyce and I am a recovering Yarn Addict!

dustinac
03-25-2007, 04:37 PM
:cheering: wow I want Artlady's stash too.. maybe I don't have a stash :shrug: :rofl: :roflhard:

:passedout: my socks are done.. yippee.. now I'm going to go and enjoy the warm weather... you can read about them here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24933&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=444) when I posted the first one :teehee:

misha rf
03-25-2007, 09:58 PM
Dustinac, your socks are lovely!!

ArtLady, I think we should all go shopping at your house!! :rofl:

And here's a pic of this week's hats!

The variagated ones (and the headband) are chunky Mmmmalabrigo. Pink is Misti Alpaca. Blue is Debbie Bliss Merino DK. Green striped is Noro Silk Garden.

auburnchick
03-26-2007, 07:31 AM
Artlady,

How LONG did it take you to AMASS that yarn???

Wow!

BTW, yesterday (Sundays=Knitting Days), I finished my Branching Out scarf. I'll post a pict as soon as it's blocked. I'll cast on for a booga bag next Sunday since I'll be working mightily on a HUGE college paper this week.

Y'all's projects are turning out so beautiful! Inspiration for me...

HeatherFeather
03-26-2007, 07:36 AM
I know...they are aren't they??? ? :)

My FIL passed away this am, so we are headed out in a couple of hours....and all I can think about is the time away from my stash.. I've got 2 projects that I think will keep me busy, but the I spied my kitchen cotton cone, so I'll grab that and do some mindless dishcloths....

auburnchick
03-26-2007, 08:29 AM

My FIL passed away this am, so we are headed out in a couple of hours....and all I can think about is the time away from my stash.. I've got 2 projects that I think will keep me busy, but the I spied my kitchen cotton cone, so I'll grab that and do some mindless dishcloths....

Sorry about your loss, Heather. :(

dustinac
03-26-2007, 10:08 AM

:hug: :heart: :hug: I'm sorry for your family's loss

PurlyGyrl
03-26-2007, 11:31 AM
Heather Feather, so :verysad: sorry to hear about your loss. :hug:

And Artlady, wow :noway:

I must say . . . . . . . :passedout:

that's really . . . . . . . :thud:

some...................... :passedout:

s.............t............ :thud:

a.....s.........h!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :passedout:

I must lie down now :eyes:

ArtLady1981
03-26-2007, 02:15 PM
Hi there Dustin and Misha! Great photos! Beautiful projects! My goal for 2007 or 2008...LEARN TO KNIT SOCKS! I want to take a Magi Loop class at my LYS first.

Heather, so sorry to hear of the loss of your FIL. I lost my MIL and FIL in the past few years, and the saddest thing of all is when your DH feels like an orphan. No matter how old the DH is, they can feel like 8 years old when their original 'mentor' passes. Both of our parents are gone now, so we are both in the orphan boat together. :pout:

I have collected this stash of yarn over the past 5 years. Back then, to get it all started...my LYS had a "Buy 3/Get 2 Free Sale", and, 20% off all other shop yarns, and in addition to that, if you got there the first day of the sale at 8 am til 11 am, you got an additional 10% off your entire order...I went nuts. What can I say? All Stashies understand the phrase: "I went nuts"! Just this January I finally knit a hat and scarf using some icy pink "Jolie" purchased at that first sale. The shop had two of those BIG SALES per year. And, about 3 years ago I discovered the world of Ebay Yarn Shoppes...and the great prices for quality yarns in those shops. Sigh. It is just ridiculous. :pout: I used to keep track of the amount of money spent of each cache of yarn in a notebook. I quit. I saved receipts, which I refuse to add up, and should probably burn! Evidence of insanity must be destroyed! :teehee:

Well, now I gotta run. I have to see if Amy has a video for crab stitch. Every time I want to use crab stitch, I forget how! Der. It is so easy, too... as I remember. I want to put a crab stitch trim around the neckline and armhole of the jumper (part of the baby set I am working on).

Til later! I will post photos of the entire 3 pc set (Jacket, hat, jumper) later today I hope! :cheering:

PaperGirl
03-26-2007, 02:15 PM
:notworthy: I bow down to your stash, Artlady. I thought my ONE desk drawer, and ONE tote bag full was alot... :roflhard:

ArtLady1981
03-26-2007, 02:33 PM
Hi PaperGirl! You are in the right place at the right time...by de-stashing now...you won't get to the World of Insane Stash! :eyebrow: :teehee:

ArtLady1981
03-26-2007, 03:16 PM
This is off the subject of De-Stashing, but I think some of us will appreciate this great link that "monzogary" shared with me under the subject of How-To's here at KH. I had asked for help with CRAB STITCH...which I am trying to do for the neckline of this little baby jumber. I needed a VIDEO CLIP, which Amy does not have because crab stitch (aka reverse single crochet) is a CROCHET technique. Everytime I need to use crab stitch, I struggle with it. I don't use it enough to remember the technique, and illustrations just are cuttin' it for me.

The video clip for crab stitch can be played normally...but...you can also play it manually click-by-click, slow motion. (QuickTime: Allow ActiveX to run to enable QuickTime video... when it pops up click OK)

Here (http://www.anniesattic.com/crochet/content.html?content_id=17) it is!

misha rf
03-26-2007, 04:52 PM

HeatherFeather, my sympathies. :hug:

misha rf
03-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Thanks, ArtLady! I want to learn how to knit socks this year, too. Maybe this summer, after we get settled with the house & selling the condo. :wall: (Yeah, not looking forward to that part of it all. New house? Great! Moving? Not so great. Cleaning/repairing condo to sell? UGH!!!)

auburnchick
03-26-2007, 10:34 PM
ArtLady, I'm very surprised that you don't know how to make socks yet. You are such an ADVANCED knitter!! I mean, that red afghan still takes my breath away.

Socks are WONDERFUL, fun, and AMAZING!

My stash fits into one small basket. It's actually grown since joining this club, but only because I wanted to fit in. :teehee:

Now, I've got to go find out how to make a twisted stitch. I just started the Black Sheep booga bag, and as soon as I get done with the bottom rectangle, I'm going to be stuck.

TTFN...

kellyh57
03-26-2007, 10:49 PM
I tried to flash my stash a while back, but I couldn't get the pictures resized right. I got a new computer and I refuse to put pirated software on here and I finally got a photo editing software I like....

The bottom tote is full of medium weight acrylics. (I love clearances!!!) On top of that is bulky/super bulky. I've started and frogged an afghan 3-4 times out of the Lion Jiffy Thick & Quick in there. On top of that is the fuzzy stuff. The little bag is my wools. I have a bunch of purses/bags that I'd like to make, but just can't find the pattern to go with the colors I have left...The bag to the left is some yellow baby yarn. It's so soft and pretty. I thought I'd knit it up right away, but haven't gotten around to it...Oh well! I didn't photograph the cotton dishcloth yarn I have upstairs in the "in progress" case. It's probably a dozen or so balls, mostly full size. I thought each dishcloth would take a full ball so I bought 3 for each person on my Christmas list....I got 2 out of each and have a ton leftover. Plus, I forgot what I had while I was buying it on sale and bought a few duplicates.

dustinac
03-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Misharf~ :cheering: they look wonderful!!!

Thank you for the compliments on the socks!! :happydance:

I got to go outside for awhile yesterday and even though it was so windy I had to keep battling my yarn flying away I did manage to work on my Entrelac socks some :teehee:

I finished the Dream swatch for my head.. I gott block it and then will get some photos..

After my Entrelac socks I want to start the dollar and half cardagian in IK...

Artlady~ You are going to be amazed at how easy socks are lol.. although the pair I just finished about made me :grrr: but it was my first time doing color work using size 0 dpns... I wasn't very smart on that :rofl:

ArtLady1981
03-27-2007, 03:43 PM
Hey there Dustinac! I am working on the Dollar and a Half Cardigan myself! The Back is done, ready to block. Started the Right Front last night, got 6" done...then frogged it and started again. Long story.
FYI: there is an BIG ERROR in the pattern: the photo shows the front "cable" as being knit into the Right Front.
BUT...The directions put it into the Left Front, with all the armhole and neckline shaping as for the left side.
If you want to knit it as shown in the photo...you will have to reverse all the shaping to make it a RIGHT FRONT. I looked at their interweave.com website to see if they have an errata/errors corrections page...couldn't find it...so I emailed them about the error. Asked them to send me corrections, or, steer me towards an errata/errors corrections link. You would think that a magazine as BIG and WIDELY PUBLISHED as Interweave Knits would have a "spotter" for accuracy of patterns. :pout:

Experienced knitters can figure out how to make a Left Side (with the cable) into a Right Side...but, others will struggle with it, or, just end up with a cardigan that has the cable on the Left Side. I like the sweater the way the photo shows it! FYI: their website shows other views of the Dollar and a Half Cardigan. I am knitting mine in True Red...Cloud 9 by Cascade.

Finally finished the little French "Choux" Set! That jumper had to be blocked in 3 stages. :pout:

madametj
03-27-2007, 09:46 PM
oh my, Artlady, that has to be the cutest baby set ever! :heart:

madametj
03-28-2007, 12:12 AM
oh yeah, and do u think we should have the stashbuster page moved to KAL? i guess its really a pattern thread, but it would be so convenient.

plus, we're all stash busting together :flirt:

dustinac
03-28-2007, 08:16 AM
ArtLady that is so cute!!! Thank you for the info on the dollar and half.. I was wanting mine to look like the photo too.. I might be asking you for tips :teehee:

Here is my dream swatch ready to be steam blocked.. and then I finished one of my Entrelac socks but will post that in the March Kal.. once you learn to knit backwards those socks are so fast.. I can memorize the pattern which means I can do them while the kids and dh are around :rofl:

ArtLady1981
03-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Hey there Dustinac! Your Dream Swatch is beautiful! Is it a super long scarf, or does it just look extra long? Anyhoo...it is gorgeous! Thanks for taking time to share a photo! I love photos!
Please feel free to ask me for tips on the Dollar and a Half Cardigan. It is a little beasty at first, then you finally get your groove going...there are some tricky instructions, too...you know...the kind of instructions that "aren't". The "mystery instructions" that fail to mention "key points"!

Which is worse: erroneous directions or directions that aren't mentioned?
Hmmm. It is the salt & pepper kind of pattern. "Peppered" with little aggravations!

But, like I said, once you get things ironed out and all the mysteries unveiled, the pattern sails along...boring almost. When my BACK is done blocking, I will Post a photo of it.

Take care!

heykaren
03-28-2007, 06:21 PM
Just a little OT, but I was re-reading the pages I missed and saw your note, ArtLady, saying that you had watched a video online to learn a stitch. I found out how to do a "twisted German cast on" by watching a video on YouTube, believe it or not!

Iīm not sure how to access much in YouTube, I found it by Googling "twisted German cast on" and - voila!

Might work in other cases as well! :thumbsup: Karen

ArtLady1981
03-28-2007, 06:58 PM
Thanks Karen! I will check out YouTube now! Either directly, or by googling a stitch by name!

Well, I am back! :cheering: I couldn't find it directly through YouTube.com....way too many other things to plow through...so I google Twisted German Stitch and VOILA! I found the YouTube link! Interestingly, did you notice that the video clip was sourced from www.knitwitch.com???? So, I then typed that directly into my IE browser, and VOILA! the KnitWitch has LOTS AND LOTS of knitters and crocheters AIDS and VIDEOS!
Click HERE (http://www.knitwitch.com/videos.htm) to travel straight to her site!

auburnchick
03-29-2007, 11:16 AM
Here's a little something I whipped up...

It's the Branching Out Scarf, done in elsebeth lavold (moss). I really liked this pattern!

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/DSC02022.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/DSC02023.jpg

ArtLady1981
03-29-2007, 12:52 PM
Hey there AuburnChick Nathalie! Your scarf is really really gorgeous! I think you selected just the right color (and yarn )for this scarf! Let me ask you, Elsebeth has several signature yarns...which one did you use? Thanks for taking time to post a photo! Lace is relaxing, isn't it? I knit two "lacy" scarves (using Stash) this winter, and the rhythm is relaxing to me!

On another note: My "Dollar and a Half" (using reward yarn!) RED cardigan is "getting there"! Am blocking two pieces right now. Peeked under the towel last night, and was happy to see that some "puckeriness" of the reverse st st is flattening out. To manage the blocking I inserted blocking wires into all the side seams, plus the botton edge...stretched it out to the maximium sizing...only a little puckeriness remained...but the wet towel is fixin' that right now! Phew. It looked positively horrid before blocking.

This pattern (http://www.interweaveknits.com/Galleries/bonus/spring_2007/dollar.asp) is shown in the current issue of Interweave Knits. Take a peek!

auburnchick
03-29-2007, 03:05 PM
Hey there AuburnChick Nathalie! Your scarf is really really gorgeous! I think you selected just the right color (and yarn )for this scarf! Let me ask you, Elsebeth has several signature yarns...which one did you use? Thanks for taking time to post a photo! Lace is relaxing, isn't it? I knit two "lacy" scarves (using Stash) this winter, and the rhythm is relaxing to me!

ArtLady,

I wish I was creative enough to wisely "choose" my yarn. I usually buy what the pattern recommends because I don't really know "how" to substitute yarn for a project. That's where my newbie-ness comes out.

But, you're right, in that lace does provide a nice rhythm. I was surprised because at first I was constantly checking the chart. After a while, I understood which decreases I was supposed to use (still a newbie thing to learn).

I'm looking at the skein I have leftover (cause yes, I bought an extra since I tend to knit quite tightly and was afraid my scarf would turn out too short).

It's elsebeth lavold Silky Wool (65% Wool, 35% Silk). The color # is 08, which is Moss (exactly what the pattern recommended).

I did buy (and try) the other yarn recommended in the pattern, but I just could not use it. It was a very, very thin yarn. Maybe after I have a bit more experience under my belt.

Here (http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTbranchingout.html) is the pattern.

Oh, BTW, any thoughts on what I could make with the leftover skein? Do you think it would make a hat, or would the yarn be too thin? I have a full skein (50g).

madametj
03-29-2007, 06:15 PM
Here's a little something I whipped up...

It's the Branching Out Scarf, done in elsebeth lavold (moss). I really liked this pattern!

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/DSC02022.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/DSC02023.jpg

oh my that looks ten time better than the one on knitty :inlove:

i think i want to knit it now! :teehee:

Jan in CA
03-29-2007, 06:20 PM
A few recent stashbusters...

Felted hats
http://purrcat-jan.smugmug.com/photos/139574793-S.jpg
http://purrcat-jan.smugmug.com/photos/138100541-S.jpg

Knit hat (another is on the needles)
http://purrcat-jan.smugmug.com/photos/139574791-S.jpg

madametj
03-29-2007, 06:26 PM
ooh, Jan i really like the rim of the last hat. is it crochet?

ArtLady1981
03-29-2007, 06:36 PM
Hi Nathalie! Silky Wool has a lot of yardage: 192 yds! I think you could certainly do a hat or beret! Why don't you look browse through under the StashBusterIdeas here at KH under Patterns Central, too? If you don't find a hat that needs only 192 yds, there has been a pattern floating around at KH forum that is a "topless" hat...your hair doesn't get scrunched down! I forget what the pattern is called. Maybe some of our Stashie Sisters have been talking about it! Hmmm. Whaddya say Stashies, can you help Nathalie with that pattern?
Another idea for your yardage is wrist warmers. Or fingerless gloves. It would be so cool if you could incorporate your leaf pattern a teensy bit! Like say, one or two repeats maybe!
I think your scarf looks better than the scarf shown using "fingering" yarn. The leaves look more substantial and "lifelike"! THANK YOU for the pattern/link! I saved the pattern and it is printing right now!
I have knit many patterns by Elsebeth, using Silky Wool and many of her other signature yarns...all except the new, expensive cashmere blend. Ikes! I collect all of her books, sight unseen! I love her!

Jan in CA
03-29-2007, 06:46 PM
ooh, Jan i really like the rim of the last hat. is it crochet?

No, it's knit. It's actually done as a band of garter stitch which is grafted together then you pick up stitches to make the rest of the hat. I folded the edge up and tacked it to the hat for this one.
http://www.knitpicks.com/11th+Hour+Hat_PD50430221.html

ArtLady1981
03-29-2007, 06:55 PM
Hey there Nathalie (aka AuburnChick)!

I found the 'topless' hat on Madametj's very first Stash Buster Ideas post!

It is called 'calorimetry'!

Here (http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTcalorimetry.html) it is!

BostonBecca
03-29-2007, 11:14 PM
I just started a calorimetry for myself tonight. I knit one before. You might want to consider casting on only 100 stitches because I have heard that it is huge if you cast on 120. You should take into consideration what yarn you are using however when taking into consideration if you want to reduce the number of stitches. I am using 108 and size 7 needles. It's incredibly quick to knit. It can be done in an evening. It also looks great, IMHO. The other one I made was not for me but I had to have one.

I love that Branching Out Scarf! It looks amazing!

auburnchick
03-30-2007, 12:52 AM
A few recent stashbusters...

Felted hats
http://purrcat-jan.smugmug.com/photos/139574793-S.jpg
http://purrcat-jan.smugmug.com/photos/138100541-S.jpg

Knit hat (another is on the needles)
http://purrcat-jan.smugmug.com/photos/139574791-S.jpg

Jan, you are the hat queen! Such a talented lady!!!

auburnchick
03-30-2007, 12:57 AM
Hi Nathalie! Silky Wool has a lot of yardage: 192 yds! I think you could certainly do a hat or beret! Why don't you look browse through under the StashBusterIdeas here at KH under Patterns Central, too? If you don't find a hat that needs only 192 yds, there has been a pattern floating around at KH forum that is a "topless" hat...your hair doesn't get scrunched down! I forget what the pattern is called. Maybe some of our Stashie Sisters have been talking about it! Hmmm. Whaddya say Stashies, can you help Nathalie with that pattern?
Another idea for your yardage is wrist warmers. Or fingerless gloves. It would be so cool if you could incorporate your leaf pattern a teensy bit! Like say, one or two repeats maybe!
I think your scarf looks better than the scarf shown using "fingering" yarn. The leaves look more substantial and "lifelike"! THANK YOU for the pattern/link! I saved the pattern and it is printing right now!
I have knit many patterns by Elsebeth, using Silky Wool and many of her other signature yarns...all except the new, expensive cashmere blend. Ikes! I collect all of her books, sight unseen! I love her!

Hmmm...I like the ideas. I will have to check out the hats. I did make the calorimetry (see this (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24933&postdays=0&postorder=asc&hig hlight=&page=50) page. I wonder how it would look in this yarn? Interesting thought! I don't know if it would be thick enough to hold down my hair, though.

I will probably look at either fingerless gloves or some kind of beanie-like hat.

Oh, and when I was looking through my Mason Dixon book today, I noticed that they had a log cabin throw done up in elsebeth lavold (various colors). Truly beautiful...

I really liked working with this yarn (after I spent 5 hours untangling it and hand-winding it into a ball, that is). It's soft and beautiful.

Thanks!

ArtLady1981
03-30-2007, 03:34 AM
Hey AuburnChick!
Here is a link to Elsebeth's website homepage. She has quite an extensive and informative website! In case you haven't visit before:
http://www.ingenkonst.se/

Beauuuuuuuutiful hats, Jan!! So colorful!!!

dustinac
03-30-2007, 07:45 AM
:cheering: Love the branching out!! I did that in mohair.. so itchy I can't wear it unless I have a turtle neck on :rofl:

Jan the hats look wonderful!!!

Artlady thanks for the tips I'm hoping to CO this weekend :happydance:

The dream swatch is from http://knitandtonic.typepad.com when I BO it was 47" but when I stretched it out for blocking it grew a few inches lol..

I've been working on my other Entrelac sock.. it's been so nice we have been outside mostly.. which means more time to knit as my little girl is content swinging with me or playing with her barbies as I knit.. I've also been putting in some time at night getting ready to do the heel :cheering:

misha rf
03-30-2007, 02:07 PM
All the pretty!!! :inlove: :yay:

I've done a few things this week. Mostly frogging! I was working on a snuggle (http://www.snugglesproject.org/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/) and realized that I didn't have enough in the skein to even come close to finishing it. I was using the skein I'd learned to knit with. In the beginning (over a year ago), I'd knit up a lot of it as practice (garter & stockinette). So I frogged that, rewound it, and used the majority of it for the snuggle!

I also frogged another "practice" skein of Thick & Quick & rewound it & have started a hat. I've got another "practice" piece that I'll be frogging & rewinding to use in another snuggle.

I'm also working on a bathmat. I thought I'd do the M/D log cabin Absorba, but my skill at picking up stitches is pathetic, and worse with three strands of double worsted cotton, so I'm doing it in straight garter stitch. Hopefully, I'll have it finished before the closing date on the house!

auburnchick
03-30-2007, 02:40 PM
Misha,

I love that log cabin bathmat pattern. Where do you get double worsted yarn? What kind are you using? I would really love to make this.

misha rf
03-31-2007, 12:57 AM
I'm using Peaches & Creme--ordered it directly from the manufacturer:

http://www.elmore-pisgah.com/

They ship really quickly! I'm in-state, but I had it within 2 days, which really impressed me. I've got my 3 cones sitting on the floor next to my chair. I knit a bit on it every so often. And I look at them and think that they aren't getting smaller. Yet. :pout:

dustinac
03-31-2007, 11:35 AM
I need to check the MD book out... I keep forgetting to have the library get it in for me :teehee: I love the snuggles project..

ok so I realized something today.. ya just never know how much stash you have till you start taking pictures.. now I didn't pull everything out but in all the pictures the top yarn is stacked as high as I can get it on another row of yarn :oops: and the dark red cranberry color in the cotton drawer.. that is gonna be my dollar and half if I can get the gauge.. :happydance:

The ones on shelves are in my closet.. I have to get up on a step stool to see/reach them and then the top ones its kinda just a toss and hope it lands where I want it.. so they are not the best picts.. lol small closet on tippy toes.. Hoping I don't fall..

dustinac
03-31-2007, 11:37 AM
and ok last photo.. of stuff mom asked for.. she wanted scraps and red heart and other stuff.. so this stash is leaving my house next weekend.. and whatever else she chooses... :shrug:

I also have some dyeable yarn.. but that's just white yarn in a bag so I didn't photo it.. :rofl:

Jan in CA
03-31-2007, 11:47 AM
ok so I realized something today.. ya just never know how much stash you have till you start taking pictures..

:passedout: I have about 1/10 of that! Happy knitting!! :teehee:

misha rf
03-31-2007, 12:13 PM
Maybe I'll get a pic or two of what I've currently got when I start packing it for the move....

ArtLady1981
04-02-2007, 09:16 AM
WOW Dustinac! That is a sizeable STASH! Thanks for taking time to post photos! What a job!

Are you knitting your Dollar and a Half Cardigan with STASH yarn?

I am knitting mine with Reward Yarn!
xxx

ArtLady1981
04-03-2007, 12:58 PM
HERE (http://www.cafepress.com/buy/knitter/-/pv_design_prod/p_1638809.111166145/pNo_111166145/id_17870965/fpt_/opt_/c_360/pg_20) is a good Team T-Shirt!

The S.A.B.L.E. T-shirt!

Stash Acquistion Beyond Life Expectancy!

dustinac
04-03-2007, 01:03 PM
WOW Dustinac! That is a sizeable STASH! Thanks for taking time to post photos! What a job!

Are you knitting your Dollar and a Half Cardigan with STASH yarn?

I am knitting mine with Reward Yarn!
xxx

:rofl: yeah I'm using that dark red in the cotton drawer lol I don't need any reward yarn.. I'm still waiting for an order from the knithappens.net when they had that big sale.. I knew those prices was the only way I was gonna be able to touch the yarns I ordered :teehee:

LOL i like that shirt.. I keep trying to find a knitting shirt but I like for the logos to be in the corner and not centred across the front of me.. I haven't been able to find one like that though... :rofl:

auburnchick
04-03-2007, 01:46 PM
HERE (http://www.cafepress.com/buy/knitter/-/pv_design_prod/p_1638809.111166145/pNo_111166145/id_17870965/fpt_/opt_/c_360/pg_20) is a good Team T-Shirt!

The S.A.B.L.E. T-shirt!

Stash Acquistion Beyond Life Expectancy!

BostonBecca
04-04-2007, 01:02 PM
I had to frog a half completed project because I got the book with the pattern for a hood-scarf in it and so I decided to start the entire thing again. I also bought 2 skeins of yarn without having my tanktop finished. They were bought so I could try socks and see how I like working with the gloss for my project after this tanktop, the Thermal from Knitty. I can't resist that pattern, it's too perfect for me.

Bad Becca!

ArtLady1981
04-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Post photos of your way cool 'hooded scarf'! How interesting! :thumbsup:

I think you certainly must have earned New Yarn Reward by now. "For every Stash Project completed, whether a dishcloth, sweater or afghan...earns you a "new yarn" reward purchase!" Just try and knit the new yarn as soon as possible...dont' let it add to the S.A.B.L.E.

Us Stashies can't withdraw from the world of new yarn entirely! We'd go into fits! :teehee:

nadja la claire
04-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Hey everyone, I haven't posted for a while, I've been waiting to finish something.

Two weeks ago I started a simple 2x2 rib neck warmer with 3/4 of a skein of KP Elegance. I was on a sister union's picket line and I needed something simple that I could do while showing solidarity. I even gave some lessons in purling while marching. I finished it just in time for the strike to end. Also last night I finished my Red Scarf Project. I'm still working on my two throws and I've started a scarf for a friend. She and I have worked together for 13 years and we just kind of clicked we became friends automatically, although it kind of helped that my DH was her drawing instructor in college. Anyway she may not be back next year so I wanted to make her something. I had 5 balls of Andean Silk in Mustard in my stash and I thought they would make a nice scarf for her. Being an artist her wardrobe is dominated by black so I thought that a gold colored scarf would be a nice accent. It's an easy Shetland pattern called the Horseshoe and people have told me it's very pretty. I hope she likes it.

Nadja xxx

nadja la claire
04-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Hey everyone, I haven't posted for a while, I've been waiting to finish something.

Two weeks ago I started a simple 2x2 rib neck warmer with 3/4 of a skein of KP Elegance. I was on a sister union's picket line and I needed something simple that I could do while showing solidarity. I even gave some lessons in purling while marching. I finished it just in time for the strike to end. Also last night I finished my Red Scarf Project.

I'm still working on my two throws and I've started a scarf for a friend. I know that I shouldn't have started something new especially with all the WIPs I've got going but she and I have worked together for 13 years and we just kind of clicked and we became friends automatically, although it kind of helped that my DH was her drawing instructor in college. Anyway she may not be back next year so I wanted to make her something. I had 5 balls of Andean Silk in Mustard in my stash and I thought they would make a nice scarf for her. Being an artist her wardrobe is dominated by black so I thought that a gold colored scarf would be a nice accent. It's an easy Shetland pattern called the Horseshoe and people have told me it's very pretty. I hope she likes it.

Nadja xxx

lauraknits
04-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Very pretty scarves! I have a bunch of WIP's with stash yarn but no FO's so have not posted any pics in a while. I hope to be done with one of my pairs of socks and a felted bag within a week or so. No rewards for me, too many UFO's!

auburnchick
04-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Nadja, the scarves are just beautiful. That horseshoe pattern is very pretty. I haven't seen it before. I'm sure your friend is going to love it!

nadja la claire
04-05-2007, 05:48 PM
Nadja, the scarves are just beautiful. That horseshoe pattern is very pretty. I haven't seen it before. I'm sure your friend is going to love it!

Thanks guys :aww: :muah:

The horseshoe pattern is very easy. It's worked over 10 stitches and there are only 8 rows to a round. I don't know if it's copy written but I found it in a book that a friend found at a flea market for me called Traditional Island Knitting by Pam Dawson. It's a wonderful book. The patterns are beautiful and each chapter is about a different island's style of knitting.

Nadja xxx

ArtLady1981
04-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Hey Nadja! You are a SCARF QUEEN! You select just the right colors for each pattern! Very classy, very elegant!

:thumbsup:

nadja la claire
04-07-2007, 09:13 AM
Hey Nadja! You are a SCARF QUEEN! You select just the right colors for each pattern! Very classy, very elegant!

:thumbsup:

:aww: :teehee:

Nadja xxx

auburnchick
04-07-2007, 02:25 PM
I posted this in the Whatcha Knitting forum as well, so if you think you're seeing double, you are correct. I cut and pasted because I'm just too lazy...

Here's my booga bag (before and after pictures). I used Noro color #95, as recommended by the pattern.

I have gotten so many compliments on this along with several requests to make them for people...yeah right. No time with my college classes only halfway done. :teehee:

I have to say that this was one of the easiest projects I've ever done. No one can believe how simple it was because it looks like something you would buy in a store.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/DSC02029.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/DSC02051.jpg

BostonBecca
04-07-2007, 02:56 PM
That is gorgeous! It does look like something you would find in a store. I love it!

ArtLady1981
04-07-2007, 04:18 PM
WOW WOW WOW...your Booga Bag is simply DIVINE! I am inspired! I love :heart: the citrus-y summer colors! Thanks for sharing and photos and the color information!

nadja la claire
04-08-2007, 05:57 PM
:cheering: I love it :heart: One day I'll finish mine.

Nadja xxx

MamaKnits
04-08-2007, 09:52 PM
I've been reading this thread since it began but have been unsure if I should jump in. I realized yesterday that I spend more time reading about knitting than actual knitting! Maybe if I got off my computer chair and did something about the stash, it would reduce. :teehee:

I don't have a huge stash. It all fits in a Rubbermaid tub. I don't have a lot of storage space so I determined early on that the yarn could never outgrow the tub. As it stands right now, I have to push on that lid pretty hard to get it to close.

On Friday I started a ballband dishcloth using leftover yarn from a dishcloth KAL group I'm on. Just ten more rows to go. It along with another dishcloth is going to my MIL as thanks for some sewing she did for me. I also have socks started from Silver's web site. The sock yarn has been in the tub for over a year.

I'm going to the Upper Valley Fiber Fest in Troy, OH in a few weeks. I want to get some of this outta here so I can buy a little something there.

Gina

BostonBecca
04-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Welcome Gina! I think it is great that you are joining! There is a thread in the patterns forum that has stashbusting ideas. It is located here: http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26177&highlight=stashbuster

Keep us informed of your projects and any of your reward yarn!

dustinac
04-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Welcome Gina!!!

Nadja~ the scarves are very pretty :cheering:

auburnchick~ love the booga bag.. I have been meaning to knit this for almost 2 years now :teehee:

I finished up Misty Gardens from Scarf style this weekend to put in my gift box..picts when I can get a good photo.. come out sun please... .. My parents were up for Easter and mom got me some lace yarn for my b-day :happydance: so now I'm debating my next project :rofl:

misha rf
04-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Such pretty scarves! And love the bag!

There's a little knitting going on here. I made another cute little hat, and I'm working on another burp cloth. And I fell off the wagon b/c of that lovely sale mentioned in the General Knitting section. Since we're getting ready to move, it'll go straight to the stash. Bad knitter, no biscuit!! :verysad:

dustinac
04-11-2007, 02:24 PM
here is my Mistic Garden from Scarf style.. used some phildar yarn I had purchased at my LYS for a montly class that we never had...

and then some photos of non knitting stuff I've been working on...