PDA

View Full Version : The "Year of the Stash"...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

ArtLady1981
01-20-2007, 03:58 AM
Yes, I am declaring 2007 as the Year of the Stash!

For those of us who need to participate, here is the behavior:

Every other knitting project will be from "Stash Yarn", that is to say, yarn that was purchased or acquired during previous years! Extra Credit earned if you rip out a previously knitted project (that you hate), and re-knit the yarn into something else!

You are then allowed a Reward Project: you may purchase new yarn for your next project, but only enough yarn for that project! In other words, The Stash shall not grow...it shall diminish.

Let's just see how rewarding this will make us feel! We will reduce The Stash, and we will be able to purchase new yarn with no guilt whatsoever!!

For starters, I myself have an 'extra credit' project underway. I ripped out a Noro Silk Garden vest that is/was horridly humongous. Sad. I am now letting the two huge balls of yarn "unkink". In the meantime, I am knitting a baby blanket with Lion MicroSpun...buttercup...that I purchased 4 years ago...before I knew better. :pout: BUT, it is 3/4 complete...double-stranded on size 10.5 needles, a basketweave. Ohhhh, it feels so good to get rid of this yarn. And the blanket (beautiful) will be greatly appreciated...a 38 yr old friend having her 2nd child...and her first child is 18! Anyone know how that feels?? :eyebrow:

My Reward Project will be a red merino wool pullover...pattern: from the newest Elsebeth Lavold book! Hum.

The next Stash Project will be something with that Noro Silk Garden that is 'un-kinking'. The pattern to be determined...

Who wants to join me in this auspicous Year of the Stash?? :notworthy:

(Later note: We have gathered 38 STASHIES, as we are called! Hope you too will join us... and let yourself be motivated to USE the all beautiful yarns stashed in the baskets, bags, cupboards, boxes and shelves of your home! Did I miss any hiding places!!?? :eyebrow: )

niffer
01-20-2007, 04:47 AM
I don't have a massive stash as I'm new to this - but I will join you!
I don't think DH would be too impressed if I bought more Yarn before finishing a couple of projects first :teehee:

I shall start this evening (after a day of cleaning house :pout: ) by finishing DH's "was supposed to be a tissue holder but he likes the colours more as an Ipod Shuffle protector". Then I will rip out the bootie that I picked the stitches up on the right side making it the wrong side but only on half the foot, and make that into my very first baby hat.

Then I can buy more Yarn and knit something for me :cheering:

After that birthday season starts.

zkimom
01-20-2007, 08:39 AM
I'm in.

Plus I think we should get points for finishing up a UFO that has been sitting around for way too long! I have a finished lonely sock waiting for a mate.

And I think we should call ourselves "Stashies"

xxx

Susan

Emeraldcutie
01-20-2007, 10:19 AM
I actually started my blog last week and named it Knitting from the Stash 2007. :happydance:

I'll be happy to join.
Currently Iam knitting Eris (the yarn was a christmas present from last year).
I bought 3 balls of Red heart Simply soft for a shawl for my MIL.
I did however enhance my stash (but made myself promise that no "new yarn" enhancements" but I did recycle 2 sweaters found at a thrift store.

My reward is going to be a new skein of sock yarn (maybe some JItterbug).

Laura C

Ingrid
01-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Considering that I've been kind of going on a buying-yarn binge, I really, really have to work from my stash. I'm in.

Even though I looooove buying purty yarn.

nadja la claire
01-20-2007, 10:44 AM
I'm in but it's going to be hard to stick to this. In November I went on a yarn free diet until I had reduced my stash that lasted all of a month...........maybe. I'm going to need a support system. I am truly addicted and I really want to start my Malabrigo project.

I pledge to finish my UFOs and knit down my stash before I dig into my Malabrigo.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

HamburgKnitter
01-20-2007, 11:11 AM
OK, so here's my problem. I don't have much of a stash yet. (I'm a newbie, remember?)

So - can I go out and buy a hideously huge amount of yarn and THEN join? :teehee:

Or even better - I'll HELP. You get DOUBLE extra credit if you send part of your stash to me. :happydance: :cheering: :heart:

lauraknits
01-20-2007, 11:52 AM
since I just bought a sick amount of yarn (most of which hasn't been delivered yet) I am in! I feel a little guilty though, since most of my stash yarn isn't old! I do have 5 or 6 ufo's though, so those will have to be alternated with new projects... ready set...GO!

Lieke
01-20-2007, 01:04 PM
OK, so here's my problem. I don't have much of a stash yet. (I'm a newbie, remember?)

So - can I go out and buy a hideously huge amount of yarn and THEN join? :teehee:

Or even better - I'll HELP. You get DOUBLE extra credit if you send part of your stash to me. :happydance: :cheering: :heart:

Same problem here. My stash consists of about 10 skeins, so I won't make it trought 2007 with that. But, if HamburgKnitter has enough yarn, you can send the double extra credit yarn to me ;)

debstein
01-20-2007, 01:30 PM
Count me in too! I just organized my stash in clear plastic bins and was amazed at how much yarn I have accumulated. It seems that I am a Knitpicks junkie and every time a new catalog comes out or my PC mysteriously jumps to their site, I end up with more yarn goodies!

And don't get me started on my UFOs - geez!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :teehee:

Lucy78green
01-20-2007, 01:43 PM
considering I started knitting when I was a child - then gave up for years due to lack of time, and have only recently come back to it, my stash consists of random stuff I bought aged 7-11 from the bargain bin at the local yarn shop that no longer exists. Not enough of any one colour or type to make anything with, and in colours like flourescent orange. I do have a couple of UFOs like the pair of socks I started, my mum decided to "help" me with and made a mistake I couldn't be bothered to unpick and start again from...

Renoah
01-20-2007, 01:49 PM
Dude, I'm so there. :happydance: And I'm blogging it! (http://unstableknitter.blogspot.com)

Jan in CA
01-20-2007, 02:33 PM
Great idea! I have actually been working on stash busting for quite a while making things for charity. Most of what I make is for charity actually and while I have bought yarn for some of the projects or to complete some of them the lions share has come from donated yarn. Anyway, I'm in.

Also blogging your efforts is a great idea!

ArtLady1981
01-21-2007, 12:05 AM
OK! We are officially called the Stashies!!
Anyone object to that, or have a better name? I like Stashies!

Thanks to all who "joined" us Stashies! And we welcome any new Stashies who join later! We need the support! We will get that Stash down to size! :happydance:

It will save money, too...using the Stash! Allowing ourselves a New Yarn Project after completing a Stash Project...means we can shop for new yarn without guilt. Won't that feel good?? Kinda like an ice cream cone tastes so good at the end of a long walk!!

Note: to those who have very small Stashes: a Stash Project can be something very small...like a cute dishcloth! Really, any fiber could make up into a dishcloth! Extra credit for doing a set of three for gift giving! :hug: Also, you could knit up 'squares' for later seaming into a patchwork quilt. I did that a couple of summers ago. Made two of my granddaughters blankets...made from the leftovers of lots of projects, and stash yarn, too. The "squares" were all different patterns...and some mult-stripes. The project was easy to take on vacation. The squares were just 5x5. Note: be sure and block them as you go along. Don't wait til you have a billion squares to block! Then I crocheted a black border before beginning a new square. It made the blanket assembly less tedious.

Well, I am just home from work...and am going off to work on my Stash Project...the baby blanket with MicroSpun. Buttercup, basketweave. It is quite tedious. But, 46" wide...and now 30" long. Just 16" to go!

I have additional MicroSpun in odd colors...and they will become discloths.
The Sugar 'n' Cream that I have used in the past looks so horrid after a few washings...loses its shape and color. Who knew? :pout:

madametj
01-21-2007, 12:29 AM
have u seen the stash management PDF on knit picks? http://knitpicks.com/kpimages/PDF/stashmgmt.pdf

i'm with HamburgKnitter I my resolution is to get a stash :teehee:

Mrs. Columbo
01-21-2007, 12:30 AM
I am looking at bags of yarn, scads of patterns I have printed out and nothing on the needles anymore thanks to my knitting Bullmastiff who made a soggy mess out of a blanket I was doing .... a bunch of kinky yarn on the floor and a knitting meetup tomorrow ... maybe a trip to the yarn store to buy more yarn to ward of my oncoming depression.

Yes, count me in ... much yarn and nothing on the move ....

Toby

jdee
01-21-2007, 02:05 AM
I've made two out of town trips to the nearest yarn store. One was for thier annual sale (all yarn was 30% off) and the second was for the Debbie Bliss seminar (DH bought the ticket for me for Christmas).

Anyway, my question is, How long must we have the yarn before it's considered part of our stash?

Since the nearest LYS is 2 hours away, I usually go crazy when we go. :roflhard: It would be very hard to limit it to just enough for a reward project, but I think I can do it.

ecb
01-21-2007, 02:20 AM
I am IN
and actually have been for a while now
but I WAY need to get rid of this yarn
chemo caps in acrylic, felted bags in the wool
finished planned things with what I can
but no buying yarn

ecb

ArtLady1981
01-21-2007, 03:39 AM
Yes, I have seen KnitPicks tips on Stash Management! Something that I really like are the zippered bags! I purchased dozens of the clear plastic zippered bags from www.woodlandwoolworks.com I have not seen a better price anywhere! For the small (9x11x3) only $1.75...and the medium size (12x15x4) for $2.25. You can cram 12 skeins of worsted in the small...and 20 or more in the medium!

The item number for the small is #103560 and the medium is #103561. There is an "XXL" bag (26x29x9.5) for $5...item #103562...but I have not had any need for a bag that large. BTW, Woodland WoolWorks is a very reputable company to deal with. I have never had any problems with them, their products or service.

I keep all my yarns in the zippered bags. One of my Stash 'harbors' is a huge wicker trunk...with lots of places for spiders or bugs to crawl in and set up house. I have never had a bug in my yarns, mind you...but don't want to start! With the Stash Yarn sitting dormant for so long a time, it does roll out the red carpet for pests to move in!

dustinac
01-21-2007, 09:48 AM
oh boy.. I've been thinking about this and thinking about this.. I even ordered some last minute yarn to get it out of my system from KP :oops: okkk... I'm in too.. my dh will be happy.. :happydance:

MarchingTwinkie3
01-21-2007, 12:54 PM
Sadly, I do not yet have a stash. But I do look forward to seeing what others will do with theirs! :)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-21-2007, 06:02 PM
I'm in too!!! I have sooooooooooooooooo much yarn. almost as much as Ingy :teehee: I'm going to try to incorporate stash-busting into more KALs this year, too.

Emeraldcutie
01-21-2007, 06:42 PM
I was wondering, are we going to create a little icon/avatar for the stashies?
I would but unfortunatly Iam not very good at it :)

lissalue
01-21-2007, 09:52 PM
i am so in, my dh says i buy too much yarn, and we have no money, so this will be a good idea for me. i have a small stash, but i am a slow knitter, so it will probably take all year to use it. :teehee:

edited because i read the first post again which answered the stupid question previously posted here. :oops:

dustinac
01-22-2007, 09:10 AM
Yesterday I finally made myself sit down and really start to work on my dh's socks.. I had CO before but that was all...:teehee: ... they were suppose to be done for Christmas...

I've been kinda making a list of the projects I can do with my stash... are we going to keep track of this like in the KAL section with how everyone is doing.. or just keeping adding here? Wasn't sure what the game plan was.. :rofl:

SandraEllen
01-22-2007, 01:37 PM
you should start a stash busting Knit Along thread!!!

CarmenIbanez
01-22-2007, 01:41 PM
I am totally in. The only project I have to buy yarn for is an auction piece I am knitting for school. They requested a certain type of yarn that I do not own. Other than that, it is ALL stash busting, all the time!

bip
01-22-2007, 01:45 PM
By "every OTHER project" you mean projects other than those *I* am knitting, right?

My stash is totally out of control. I end up with at least 2 skeins of yarn after finishing every single project, and sometimes the yarn is too old to take back at that point (I'm not going to try to take back 6+ month old yarn!)

One step in the right direction is that I am wrapping up a baby blanket using some yarn my mom gave me (oh sure, foist your stash off onto me!) I have also gone through and picked out projects for much of the yarn in my stash, and the pattern is sitting in individual bags with the respective yarn. Unfortunately, for every project I start and finish, I dream up three more. I don't have many UFOs, just one at the moment, but I have a serious backlog in my queue!

kitkat
01-22-2007, 02:41 PM
Count me in. I took a bunch of my yarn to yarn group last week - for their swap - I was so thrilled to see some of my pretties go home with people who might actually use them in this lifetime. I did not come home empty handed - I was very pleased with my finds. (some sock yarn, enough lovely navy wool for a sweater!, some green wool for felting and a few funky needles!).

One question. Does sock yarn count?

Mrs. Columbo
01-22-2007, 02:49 PM
One question. Does sock yarn count?

I think sock yarn should count .. I am still trying to understand that mystery of life known as "that-multicolored-sock yarn-that-knits-up-with-stripes-or-pattern-no-matter-what-you-knit".

Toby

purlwise
01-22-2007, 03:35 PM
I'll join in! I have a huge amount of yarn. Like six or seven of those big plastic bins with lids! In fact if I buy some more, I feel so bad I don't let my husband see me bringing it in!

Do we get some points if we give some of the stash to charity?

I'm going to use my stash up makeing preemie and chemo hats for charity. The little hats are great, you can use any kind of yarn, and they knit up so fast I make one or two as a rest in between my bigger projects so I feel like I accomplished something!

Lord I could warm a lot of heads this way! I also just volunteered at a local middle school to help the teacher teach tweens how to crochet, I believe they want me to start in February. They need practice yarn so I will probably give them some too!

Mrs. Columbo
01-22-2007, 03:48 PM
My Bullmastiff wants to join ... says he has his own stash .... a bit mangled and saturated, but noneless a stash.

Toby

nadja la claire
01-22-2007, 03:51 PM
I was wondering, are we going to create a little icon/avatar for the stashies?
I would but unfortunatly Iam not very good at it :)

I was thinking the same thing.

Love your new avatar, Hildie.

Nadja xxx

ArtLady1981
01-22-2007, 05:40 PM
Yes, gifting some of your Stash Yarn to charity (or your local knitting club, etc.) counts! Why so? Because it diminshes the size of YOUR STASH!

I don't know how to create an icon or avatar for us Stashies. Does anyone else?

Well, I earned my first Stash Credits this weekend! :hug: Finished that basketweave, buttercup yellow MicroSpun baby blanket! And, whilst I was on my MicroSpun roll...I knit 4 MicroSpun dishcloths too! Three in buttercup, 1 in red...and will continue with the dishcloths til my MicroSpun is El-Gonno!

I took digital photos of the baby blankets and dishcloths...but unfortunately, I don't know how to place photographs into this forum...but, somebody must know. There are photos inserted into certain threads on this website.

If anyone wants my simple directions for the basketweave dishcloth...please email me, and I will send the directions asap! It is 25 stitches wide, 38 rows tall, with size 10.5 needle using double strand MicroSpun. The needle size can be adjusted depending on the Stash Yarn used, of course. My dishcloths turned out perfect...nice squares, not too big, not too small!

dollyce@msn.com

ArtLady1981
01-22-2007, 05:43 PM
I figured out how to insert my photo. :muah:

Mrs. Columbo
01-22-2007, 05:46 PM
Hi ArtLady,

Just go to your profile and upload your photo .. thing is you have to resize it so its no more than 100 x 100 and a small number of megapixels .. if you have a program that resizes you are all set .. it will then just appear every time you post .. you can change it as you want to .. I wanted to resize one of my pics to put in but its higher than it is wide so it won't size to what I need without making my head look two feet wide. :teehee:

Toby

ArtLady1981
01-22-2007, 06:00 PM
To CarmenlBanez: Yes, it is quite A-OK for you to keep a prior commitment!

Someone asked: what is Stash Yarn? Let's loosley say: It is any and all yarn that you have in your possession upon joining the Stashies!

Reward Projects are knit with new yarn purchased after joining Stashies! One rule: the New Yarn cannot join ranks with the Stash Yarn. The New Yarn must be knit immediately. Otherwise, you are not diminishing your Stash, are you?

Clearly, some of us serious Stashies may knit many, many more Stash Projects than Reward Projects. Hopefully. :teehee:

The point is: We want to motivate ourselves to USE all that previously purchased yarn! It is just so pointless to keep buying and buying at a greater rate than we could EVER knit! Some of us 'Serial StashieS' have even forgotten what we have in our Stash! :pout: Except to say, hundreds of dollars in yarn, no doubt! Sigh. Things are gonna change around here! Stay tuned!

This is THE YEAR OF THE STASH! :muah:

ArtLady1981
01-22-2007, 06:26 PM
Ok, figured it out! Here is the MicroSpun dishcloth! It takes an hour, if that.

Cast on 25 stitches, 38 rows tall...double-strand MicroSpun, size 10.5 needles. Email me for the directions.

The RS is always Knit across. The patterning row is done from the WS.

butterflymama
01-22-2007, 06:30 PM
I'm in. I started with a couple of weeks ago with the Knit From Your Stash 2007 on my blog.

I need to update it but so far I have finished 2 1/2 pairs of clogs and sold a ton of yarn. To celebrate I bought sock yarn from A Swell Yarn Shop (http://www.aswellyarnshop.com/cart/home.php?cat=364). :teehee:

ArtLady1981
01-22-2007, 06:32 PM
Here is the Stash baby blanket! :cheering: Used up 16 skeins! :notworthy:

Cast on 150 stitches x 240 rows tall (46"x46")....36,000 loving stitches! :heart:

ArtLady1981
01-22-2007, 06:33 PM
Kudos to Butterflymama!!!! Waaay to go! :cheering:

dustinac
01-22-2007, 06:37 PM
I bought sock yarn from A Swell Yarn Shop (http://www.aswellyarnshop.com/cart/home.php?cat=364). :teehee:

:pout: I like the Tropicana.... :verysad:

Mrs. Columbo
01-22-2007, 06:56 PM
Here is the Stash baby blanket! :cheering: Used up 16 skeins! :notworthy:

Cast on 150 stitches x 240 rows tall (46"x46")....36,000 loving stitches! :heart:

Ohhh I want that pattern!!!

Toby

Mrs. Columbo
01-22-2007, 06:58 PM
I'm in. I started with a couple of weeks ago with the Knit From Your Stash 2007 on my blog.

I need to update it but so far I have finished 2 1/2 pairs of clogs and sold a ton of yarn. To celebrate I bought sock yarn from A Swell Yarn Shop (http://www.aswellyarnshop.com/cart/home.php?cat=364). :teehee:

Clogs? Knitted? Ohhh .... hmmm, are you allowed to post a place to buy yarn on a Stash thread????? Of course it's a STASH thread!! Meaning if you haven't enough stash go to this site (as everyone quickly goes to butterflymama's site. :teehee:

Toby

lissalue
01-22-2007, 07:00 PM
those fo's are beautiful!! i can't wait to finish something from my stash. my first thing will probably be socks for the sock swap, i bought the yarn last year and it is sitting in one of my stash containers begging me to make socks out of it. i have about an inch done on my first ever sock, so it is going. i also have a booga bag on one set of my needles, a dishcloth on another, and apparently some more things which i have forgotten about cause i can't find all my denise's, so they must be in projects somewhere. :shrug: some of those may get frogged and turned into other things, especially since i don't remember what they are :teehee: .

so, i am off to knit from my stash! :out:

ArtLady1981
01-22-2007, 07:23 PM
Mrs. Columbo,

My Microspun double-stranded baby blanket pattern is 46" x 46" on 10.5 needles:

Cast on 150 St.

Border Rows 1-10: Knit to end of each row. This creates the bottom garter stitch border.

After the Garter Stitch Border...

Begin the basketweave pattern as follows:

Row 1 (RS) and all odd numbered rows: Knit across to end of row

Rows 2, 4, 6, 8 (WS): K5 *K5, P5...repeat from * across...then end row w/ K5.

Rows 10, 12, 14, 16 (WS): K5, *P5, K5...repeat from * across...end row w/ K5.

Repeat Rows 1-16 til 2" shy of desired length.

End with a repeat of Border Rows 1-10 for the top garter stitch border.

FYI: Word to the wise: Place stitch markers every 5 stitches! The "working pattern" rows are done from the WS...you can't easily see what should be what. It is easy to get carried away and/or distracted when knitting the K5 P5 sequence from the WS! :pout:

Jan in CA
01-22-2007, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the pattern! That's a beautiful blanket and washcloth!

I'm making a stash sweater (Baby Surprise Jacket) with leftover wool. It will go to charity..probably Children in Common. It's also part of the KAL here.

Mrs. Columbo
01-22-2007, 07:36 PM
Thanks so much for the baby blanket pattern .. expecting first grandchild in March and plan to do a couple of blankets ...

Toby

psammeadred
01-22-2007, 09:27 PM
I'm in! Most of my stash is recycled from sweaters, so it'll be fun remaking them the way I want them. (One in particular looked like a Mrs. Weasley sweater...for Hagrid!)

ArtLady1981
01-23-2007, 12:19 AM
Dear Sandra Ellen,

What is a Knit Along Thread? :? It sounds neat, and very organized, too!

Expand on that...

Awaiting your advice & comments!

Mrs. Columbo
01-23-2007, 12:34 AM
This evening I was passing through Wal Mart and decided my stash wasn't large enough ..... I'm so weak.

Toby

ArtLady1981
01-23-2007, 03:25 AM
Hi Mrs. Columbbo!

I hope your Walmart purchase was MicroSpun for your baby blanket! :teehee:

Mine is sooooo soft and cushy. It is a difficult yarn to knit with...very splitty... and hard to fix.

So you fell. More to work with, eh?? :hug:

zkimom
01-23-2007, 06:59 AM
Ok,

I'm taking the plunge -- I just started making a hoodie dog sweater for my rat terrier with some teal Encore Worsted that I bought for a sweater I will never make and I am swatching some bulky weight yarn that my mom gave me eons ago for the shrug from this pattern:

Twin Set (http://www.knitscene.com/projects/TwinSet.pdf)

Isn't it cute? I'd make the set but the yarn for the tank is worsted and the shrug is bulky weight. And I don't have a worsted weight and bulky weight in the same color.

This is a stash buster exercise so I am not going out to buy the appropriate (and expensive) yarn in a great color whilst that stash sits lonely in the box under my bed! :whistle:

No, really, I'm not. :---

MUST . . . . USE . . . . STASH! :passedout:

HamburgKnitter
01-23-2007, 07:54 AM
I just heard about a new LYS opening up at the shopping center where I usually buy my lunch for work. So guess where I'm going in just a few minutes during my lunch break? :happydance:

Am I being counterproductive to this thread? :?? :teehee:

zkimom
01-23-2007, 08:06 AM
I just heard about a new LYS opening up at the shopping center where I usually buy my lunch for work. So guess where I'm going in just a few minutes during my lunch break? :happydance:

Am I being counterproductive to this thread? :?? :teehee:

I don't know, Jeanette -- it's kind of a quandry. In order to be a Stashie, one must have a stash. So therefore, aren't we obligated to maintain our stash??? It sounds to me like you are just being responsible.:eyebrow:

Plus there is nothing like the smell of yarn in the afternoon! :drool:

Best,
Susan

RachelJean
01-23-2007, 09:18 AM
I'm definitely in on this. I am currently knitting a pair of socks from my stash. However, I also just placed two orders for more yarn. I promise to be good and not buy any more until I use more of my stash - it won't be easy, but I can do it.

dustinac
01-23-2007, 09:58 AM
Dear Sandra Ellen,

What is a Knit Along Thread? :? It sounds neat, and very organized, too!

Expand on that...

Awaiting your advice & comments!

It is a good way to keep everything together... if you go to the Forum Index there is a thread for Knit Alongs... I think one of the MODs can actually move this post there so you don't lose anything.. then we just post there instead of under the General knitting... :thumbsup:

Mrs. Columbo
01-23-2007, 10:31 AM
Hi Mrs. Columbbo!

I hope your Walmart purchase was MicroSpun for your baby blanket! :teehee:

Mine is sooooo soft and cushy. It is a difficult yarn to knit with...very splitty... and hard to fix.

So you fell. More to work with, eh?? :hug:

Ahh yes .... but as Susan said, we are only being responsible as to have a stash one must maintain it .... "The Maintenance Of The Stash".

Unfortunately my Wal Mart Purchase was some Bernat Softee Chunky for a dog blanket .... to be honest I have never seen MicroSpun .... I'm in Vancouver so maybe I can't get it here ... dare I ask? YES I CAN! IN THE NAME OF STASH MAINTENANCE! who makes it and where it can be purchased? There. I've said it. I'm so weak. :passedout:

Toby

HamburgKnitter
01-23-2007, 10:59 AM
Got yarn at lunch today! Forgot to buy lunch, but that's OK! :roflhard: (good thing I keep a couple of cans of "emergency soup" at the office!)

The new LYS is OK - they don't have anything amazing, but they have a good selection of the most common brands. Plus they're having a sale right now, so I got myself some lovely burgundy lana grossa that told me it wants to be a sweater. :heart: All in all less than $30. :cheering:

This way I can be a stashie soon too. :eyebrow:

monzogary
01-23-2007, 11:27 AM
I should totally join this! I have about 7-8 totes of yarn to use. I am currently finishing a pair of socks from some stash wool that I koolaid dyed, and last week I made 7 scarves, 6 of them being made from stash yarn! I could knit things for years with just stash yarn lol.

CarmenIbanez
01-23-2007, 12:21 PM
I would like to say that knitting for our pets is an AWESOME idea for stash busting. I have a chihuahua and I learned how to knit making things for her. If your dog is too large to knit garments for, the dog blankie idea was great!

This way if you don't have any babies in your life, you can still make small compact things that take only a skein or two.

Emeraldcutie
01-23-2007, 12:42 PM
Irecently set up a file system with patterns I find that can be used with my stash yarn. It really wasn't as hard as I thought.

I'll show pics when Iam done :)

kitkat
01-23-2007, 12:45 PM
I would like to say that knitting for our pets is an AWESOME idea for stash busting. I have a chihuahua and I learned how to knit making things for her. If your dog is too large to knit garments for, the dog blankie idea was great!

This way if you don't have any babies in your life, you can still make small compact things that take only a skein or two.

So sayeth the chihuahua mama! Even a dog blankie for the Coopster will take up a lot of stash! Maybe that isn't such a bad idea! AND - he does have a neck gator that someone gave him - that he thinks he is so spiffy in.......perhaps I could make another one of those for the big dork!

My pet project that I have in mind is a Kitty Pi bed for my sweet Pooey Foosums.

Emeraldcutie
01-23-2007, 01:11 PM
I was thinking of the kitty pi bed also for my girls. I have some odd balls of Green, wheat, navy and pale blue wool from clogs.

I also went to yarn harlots site and she posted a link to the most adorable baby sweater, Iam going to use up all my spare bernat sox yarn and make a few as alot of co-workers etc are all having babys, they all know Iam a celtic knitter at heart..lol

Here's the link if anyone missed it.

http://annypurls.blogspot.com/2006/12/cardigan-for-merry_28.html

Anyhow off to do some more sorting.

Can't wait to see everyones projects.

nadja la claire
01-23-2007, 01:27 PM
I finished my DH's stocking cap this weekend and I am working on a UFO throw and a cowl. I've got 2 more throws on the needles, a pair of socks and a scarf. When I'm finished with my UFOs I'll start on my stash yarn. This is going to be so hard. My friend wants me to take her to the LYS this weekend and I don't know if I'm going to be able to keep from buying some more yarn especially the Malabrigo. I'm going to try though.

Nadja xxx

auburnchick
01-23-2007, 05:13 PM
Can I be part of the group too? :pray:

I don't really have a stash. Just a few odds and ends of leftover stuff. But, when I got home from work, my RamWools order was waiting for me (see picture below).

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/DSC01806.jpg

I did buy these with projects in mind...;)

auburnchick
01-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Forgot to tell you..

In my email this afternoon was the KP newsletter. Look at this...

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/1-19-oneskein.jpg

I don't know if you can see it, but it's a book about projects that only require one skein of yarn. Kind of neat.

CarmenIbanez
01-23-2007, 05:47 PM
That is so funny, I was just looking at that!

ArtLady1981
01-23-2007, 06:35 PM
Dear Emeraldcutie! That was an awesome thing to do! Thanks for sharing!
Setting aside patterns that use The Stash! :hug:

Dear Nadja! Here is an idea: quick, use up some Stash for a dishcloth! You will earn the Reward Yarn! :eyebrow: Remember, you need to use the Reward Yarn in your next project. Don't add it to the Stash. If you need the pattern for my 1 hour dishcloth...let me know!

Dear Auburn Chick! Thanks for sharing the ONE SKEIN book! I have seen it at my local Barnes&Noble. (teehee...We didn't declare 2007 The Year of the Books & Pattens, thankfully!)

Dear SandraEllen! Good idea! I will first pose the question to all our currnet Stashies: do they want to move our Year of the Stash thread to KNIT ALONGS category...or just leave it under General Knitting. But, it is OK by me either way.

[b]Dear Mrs. Columbo! MicroSpun is made by Lion Brand. I bought mine at the local grocery store, no less...and I have also purchased it at our local JoAnn Fabrics & Crafts here in the greater Seattle area. Joanns has a website...Joanns.com. Under yarn, specify by Brand ("Lion Brand")...it will be quicker to locate! I found the MicroSpun in all colors! Here is the link to help you out:
Lion Brand Microspun at Joanns (http://www.joanns.com/catalog.jhtml;$sessionid$MOEPMVIAAMOTYP4SY5LRHOR50 LD3UEPO?CATID=82241&PRODID=168672)
However, my local Joanns is selling the MicroSpun for $2.49. I saw it the other day. Odd, the $1 difference in price. Usually a website is cheaper.
You mentioned Vancouver...is that Vancouver Canada, Vancouver in Washington State...???...if Washington State, which is where I live....the grocery store that carried MicroSpun is Fred Meyer. I didn't see any there the other day however.

Well, I made 9 dishcloths...4 yellow, 2 red, 3 lime/white tweed. The photo below shows 8...one of the yellows is in my sink!

I have a bit of yellow and red MicroSpun left...and am contemplating a yellow/red tweed. Kinda ugly though. Have a full skein of purple...but purple for a dishcloth? I don't think so. Maybe a kiddy scarf!

ArtLady1981
01-23-2007, 06:56 PM
TO ALL STASHIES!

The idea of transferring our Year of the Stash thread to the KNIT ALONGS category has come up.

What is the general concensus among us? Do we want to ask the MOD squad to transfer our entire thread to the KNIT ALONGS category? Or, do we want to leave it as it is?

It is OK by me either way, but here is something I thought about:
Won't we attract more Stashies by leaving it in GENERAL KNITTING?
Isn't General Knitting the first link new people click on? I did, and do.

Well, we will leave things as they are unless the overwhelming majority of Stashies thinks the KNIT ALONGS category is more appropriate and/or easier.

I personally hook up with our thread through my email notifications anyway.

madametj
01-23-2007, 07:04 PM
is it too late for me to be a stashie? just came back from a yarn trip yesterday, and well, i didn't realize that i had so much yarn until i could't (immediately) find space for the new ones :teehee:

FYI: i like this thread right where it is. i don't stop by the knits alongs very often, and i don't want to miss anything!

Mrs. Columbo
01-23-2007, 07:52 PM
I like it where it is too .. I go here and to "how to" .. I don't go anywhere else ...

Toby

Emeraldcutie
01-23-2007, 09:40 PM
Earlier I posted about picking patterns for your stash and organizing.

Here's the picture of my pattern file. It is all those loose patterns I print off along the way.

I organized them for knitting and then labelled the top of each pattern with the intended yarn.

I have three things from the stash on my needles. A sock from the ?Stepp Yarn (I lost the band), it is the stuff with jajoba and aloe. I really like it, but it is really fine. I had to use 70 sts on a 2mm needle to get it to look right.

The second is a hat for each of my twin nieces. I started the first one, they are a quick knit with a double strand of bernat demin from the stash.

Last but not least my Eris sweater, it is from the stash, kind of, the yarn is from a xmas gift, I casted on right away :)

Hope everyone else is getting inspired.

Check out my blog for updates and a link in every post for patterns I have found for destashing.

ArtLady1981
01-23-2007, 10:16 PM
Dear Emeraldcutie! Thanks so much for the photos! I am going to organize some patterns that would be appropriate for De-Stashing! PS: I swear, I have a WIP using that denim-ish blue tweed! It is a beautiful yarn...but mine (KnitPicks purchase) is kinda scratchy...so I am knitting at it reluctantly...like when I am hard up for a project that takes no concentration. It is a K5-P5 rib from the Wrong side, and K across from the Right Side. Sigh. This is going to be a loooonnnng project to complete. I am shooting for next Fall. It has to do with the fact that I hate the feel of the yarn. :pout:

Dear Madametj! Welcome aboard! It is NEVER too late! :muah:

Dear Fellow Stashies!! Well, I have started a one skein Stash Project for that last lonely purple skein of MicroSpun!
Here is a photo...and if anyone wants the pattern, email me and I will be happy to send it to you asap. The scarf is for a 6 yr old, so it is only 5 1/2" wide...but if for an adult, just increase the number of knit stitches right and left of the cable. For seasoned knitters: FYI: the cable is a 2x2 (C4F) worked every 4th row. The rest you probably already know by viewing the scarf. I cast on 20 for the little girl's size scarf.

Emeraldcutie
01-23-2007, 10:47 PM
Oh that is such a cute scarf, I'll have to write down the instructions.

I have some yarn that I hated knitting with, my in laws wanted a afghan in red, white and black (earnhardt jr fans). I got this heinous mill end junk (to put it nicely) as the gift exhange was to be 20.00 wow what a huge mistake. It almost squeeked when it went across the needles and made me itch. Needless to say I gave up and bought them another gift cause there was no way this was going to get done.

My favourite acrylic is red heart simply soft, I love knitting with it and it washes like a dream, and for the price there is lots in a ball. I did the hermoine hat with one ball and have about 1/3 left.

Well off to my socks, a warm couch and some good tv. Anyone else watching the eight week Stephen Kings Nightmares and Dreamscapes show???

Everyone keep the ideas coming, we are in this together.

lissalue
01-23-2007, 11:02 PM
well, i have got some knitting to do. just found out my daughter's preschool teacher is not going to be there any more after friday so i am knitting her some dishcloths with stash cotton. i have to get these finished so i can pick a pattern to buy yarn for at my first ever trip to a lys this saturday!!!

Mrs. Columbo
01-23-2007, 11:09 PM
My favourite acrylic is red heart simply soft, I love knitting with it and it washes like a dream, and for the price there is lots in a ball. I did the hermoine hat with one ball and have about 1/3 left.

Is it something like a boucle, sort of wooly looking? I was wondering what it was like to work with ... would it make a good baby blanket?

Oh. Ack. I don't have any in my stash. :wall: That would mean I'd have to go and buy some ... ahh but it wouldn't be stash yarn if I started it right away .. ok I have it figured out. :teehee:

Toby

ArtLady1981
01-24-2007, 05:17 AM
Hi Emeraldcutie! The scarf pattern is as follows:
CO 20
To create the Seed Stitch bottom border: Seed stitch for 8 rows.
Then begin pattern as follows:
Row 1: (RS) Seed 4/K 12/Seed 4
Row 2: (WS) Seed 4/P12/Seed 4
Row 3: Seed 4/K4/C4F/K4/Seed 4
Row 4: as row 2

Repeat these 4 Rows til almost length required...end with Seed 8 rows.

FOR NEW KNITTERS: FYI: With a sport weight yarn, such as the Lion Brand MicroSpun shown, my scarf is 5.5" wide for a child. For a wider scarf, just add the amount of stitches necessary. You will work them in by adding additional K stitches to the left and right of the cable.
For an adult, for example, you might CO 26 stitches...and instead of K4 either side of the cable...you would K7 on each side of the cable.

C4F is a '2x2' cable as follows: put next two stitches (a & b) on cable needle and hold them to the Front of the work, then knit the next two stitches (c & d)...then complete the cable twist by knitting the 2 stitches (a & b) held on the cable needle. Cable done!

What does C4F mean in 'cable language'? C signifies Cable / 4 signifies that 4 stitches total are involved in the cable / F indicates that the first 2 stitches(a&b) are held to the Front of the work as opposed to the Back. Cable designs sometimes incorporate both C4F and C4B in the same row to make different effects. Or C6F and C6B is also common. My cable C4F is rather skinny as cables go...but the scarf called for a skinny cable. Note: C6F (wider) cable rows are usually repeated every 6th row...not every 4th row, as my scarf cable is. Mine can twist more frequently because it is a skinny cable.

Seed stitch is also referred to as Moss Stitch:
K1 P1 across...and on the other side, you K the P's..and P the K's.

ArtLady1981
01-24-2007, 05:25 AM
Dear Mrs. Columbo! Red Heart's Simply Soft is a worsted weight with a smooth finish, and a satiny sheen to it. It is a wonderful yarn to knit with...and most important...it is entirely washable! The young mother can wash and dry, wash and dry, wash and dry...and it will not lose color. GREAT FOR A BLANKET! However, garments knit with Simply Soft tend to pill on the arms and other friction areas. You would have to tweeze or clip the pills to keep a garment looking A-1.

Emeraldcutie
01-24-2007, 09:02 AM
Thanks Art Lady. Its going to be a stash buster for a wool, angora blend I need to use up :)

I also think Red Heart makes a great baby blanket, I have also used it for winter hats. I substitute it on patterns where it requires cascade 220 (I don't have a place nearby to get that wool) and I get the same guage.

Also the colours are great. There's a new ombre one that is sage, cream and another colour that would be a great gender neutral blanket.

bip
01-24-2007, 11:52 AM
I just want to make a quick correction: Simply Soft is by Caron. Red Heart makes a yarn called Soft, which is quite similar. I made an afghan using some of both and it worked just fine. The colors in the verigated Red Heart Soft even matched some of the Simply Soft solids I was using.

I feel that the Simply Soft is the better bargain because you get sooo much in a skein. However, I am told that the Red Heart Soft doesn't pill as much and is more durable. We shall see.

CarmenIbanez
01-24-2007, 12:30 PM
TO ALL STASHIES!

What is the general concensus among us? Do we want to ask the MOD squad to transfer our entire thread to the KNIT ALONGS category? Or, do we want to leave it as it is?

In general, I think that we qualify as a Knit-a-long. I just wanted to add that the differnent forums available on KH are one of the things that make it such a well organized site. The ease of being able to locate things by catagory I think is more helpful to new knitters and members. And I think you might find that the longer someone has been a member here, the less likely they are to visit the general forum that often. :shrug:

Emeraldcutie
01-24-2007, 12:31 PM
Oh I didn't realize about the Caron yarn. I don't have that where Iam located. Here's the yarn that I use and love.

This is the yarn I got to make a shawl for my MIL.

CarmenIbanez
01-24-2007, 12:37 PM
That's pretty!

bip
01-24-2007, 12:40 PM
How funny emeraldcutie! The Red Heart I have is exactly the same except instead of "Soft Touch" it says "Soft Yarn". I wonder if they market different labels in different places.

Mrs. Columbo
01-24-2007, 12:42 PM
That's very pretty! I know Michael's here has Red Heart but I've never really looked at what types ..... hmmm .. what am I doing today .....

Is it just me or whenever someone posts pictures of a yarn, it's almost like a nasty picture ... we want to cut it out and store it in our back file to ogle at late night?? :teehee: where's my scissors ....

Toby

Emeraldcutie
01-24-2007, 12:54 PM
Oh that is the worst, when I see something new, it's like ooohhh.
I have a ton of links in my side bar of just places to oogle yarn..lol
:heart:

But alas I have enough to cloth a dozen developing countries..lol...

I shall knit from the stash (deep breath)...lol :frog:

BTW the Redheart is colour 6768 - geesh I wish they would haven't taken the time to name the colour, thats the best part. I would describe it as petal pink or maybe blush pink..lol... :oops:

Jan in CA
01-24-2007, 01:47 PM
I am making the EZ Baby Surprise Jacket with stash wool. I'm halfway through now! :cheering:

auburnchick
01-24-2007, 01:55 PM
I am making the EZ Baby Surprise Jacket with stash wool. I'm halfway through now! :cheering:

You Go Girl!! :cheering:

kellyh57
01-24-2007, 03:39 PM
Count me in. I just purchased 30+ balls of yarn yesterday. It was cheap!!! I couldn't resist. I have no idea what to do with it all! I think most of it'll be charity knitting blankets or hats. I'm going to do some research on charity knitting. I just have toooooo much! I'm dreading going into the basement to put it away/find more stash. Oh well. I feel good when I do stuff for others so it's totally worth it. I enjoy doing it and it'll be a good thing for someone else AND clean up my basement at the same time!!!

Kelly

Petals
01-24-2007, 04:37 PM
OKAY---I need to play too! Don't have a huge stash but enough that it needs some controling :teehee: This may be just what I need. And I do like the rewards!!

I'm already knitting from stash on a Eris sweater.

bip
01-24-2007, 04:49 PM
Count me in. I just purchased 30+ balls of yarn yesterday. Kelly

Ahem, no fair cheating! You can't just buy a bunch of yarn right before joining. That has to count as new yarn, not as stash. :wink: (says BIP to distract attention away from how much yarn she herself has bought since this challenge started, what, THREE days ago?)

kellyh57
01-24-2007, 06:30 PM
Well, I didn't even know about this and didn't have a real stash until yesterday. I'll clean out my old stash first. Does that count? That'll take a week or two....I have very few yarns that aren't set aside for a project. One of them is just waiting for more to go with it. One is waiting for new needles that I bought yesterday. I'll take a picture of my "old" stash tonight and get started cleaning it out.

Kelly

lauraknits
01-24-2007, 06:46 PM
ok I have a questions. If I ordered yarn 2 or more weeks ago (waaay before this stash challenge started :teehee: ) does that count as new yarn? Mentally it was in my stash! :teehee:

ArtLady1981
01-24-2007, 07:09 PM
Dear Lauraknits! No, the yarn you purchased BEFORE joining The Stashies doesn't count as New Yarn. It is part of your Stash...even though it is still in transit! :-)

TO ALL STASHIES! Did you notice? We have 32 Stashies now! Can't you just feeeel the love and support!!?? Could I ask a question: Do we have any brother knitters in our group?? Sometimes ya can't tell by the handle! Well, if so...don't remain anonymous brother knitter, if you are one of us! :eyebrow:

nadja la claire
01-24-2007, 07:11 PM
TO ALL STASHIES!

The idea of transferring our Year of the Stash thread to the KNIT ALONGS category has come up.

It is OK by me either way, but here is something I thought about:
Won't we attract more Stashies by leaving it in GENERAL KNITTING?
Isn't General Knitting the first link new people click on? I did, and do.

Well, we will leave things as they are unless the overwhelming majority of Stashies thinks the KNIT ALONGS category is more appropriate and/or easier.

I personally hook up with our thread through my email notifications anyway.

I don't know about anyone else but I like this thread in GK. I normally hang out here and WYK, but if people want to move it then I'll just have to check it out in KAL.

Nadja xxx

ChroniclesofYarnia
01-24-2007, 07:33 PM
I'm joining, too. There is no where left in the new house to hide the yarn and fabric. Ugh.

Mrs. Columbo
01-24-2007, 07:45 PM
I have just returned from Michaels where I went to see if I could find that Red Heart Microspun ... unfortunately all they had was one called HomeSpun which was kinda fluffy looking, it was pretty but not quite what I thought the MicroSpun looked like .. the colors were nice .. it was similar to a Bernat baby yarn whose name escapes me ...

Toby

dustinac
01-24-2007, 08:07 PM
I'm almost done with my dh's 2nd sock... :happydance:

I'm going to dig out some Paton's SWS and do an Enterlac Scarf for myself...

Mulderknitter
01-24-2007, 09:25 PM
I have just returned from Michaels where I went to see if I could find that Red Heart Microspun
i just looked in my own stash and microspun is not red heart, it is lion brand. comes in smaller skeins. Soft and fluffy and o so yummy if you can get your fingers and needles to mind the splittiness of it.
I am enjoying reading this thread. alas, i feel i cannot join as I have an $80 gc left to my fave lys and will not be able to starve my yarn self. But I will be keeping tabs!

ArtLady1981
01-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Hi Mulderknitter! A gift certificate doesn't count as a New Yarn purchase!
It is like Stash...you had it before you joined! Besides, the GC is probably a gift from someone, right? Not your fault! :eyebrow:

So, welcome to The Stashies! :muah: We need your support!!

lauraknits
01-24-2007, 10:25 PM
I will make this further committment:

I WILL NOT cast on for a new project, even with stash yarn, until I finish 2 of my unfinished projects. I have a UFO problem.

OTN:
2 top-down sweaters, working on sleeves on both. Lost momentum.
2 sets of fingerless gloves (second glove syndrome)
2 hats
No, make that 3 hats

I hereby promise not to cast on a new project until I finish one smaller project plus a sweater. Swear to the yarn gods.

lissalue
01-24-2007, 10:27 PM
i finished one dishcloth yesterday, if i finish two more i will have used up two balls of stash yarn!!!!!! :cheering:

ArtLady1981
01-25-2007, 01:56 AM
Hi Lauraknits! Way to go girl. Take the yarn by the horns. Where I get hung up is this: I get all 5 pieces for a cardigan knit AND blocked...ready to assemble....then another...then another...then another. I lose momentum because while one sweater is blocking I begin another. Get so excited about it...I just keep on and block it, too...but while it is blocking...I start another and get excited about finishing it! (My blocking phase takes at least a week to complete) This summer was ridicuous! I had 4 sweaters and a 3/4 coat knit and blocked and folded neatly...ready for seaming. Sigh. The task of seaming 5 projects was overwhelming. But, once I started, I felt inspired...and got them all done. Allowed myself a Stash scarf inbetween each one. Quickie scarves.

So, I am not doing THAT anymore. So, I began to poke around in my Stash for yarn for baby gifts...and have been on a Stash-busting roll. I am going to keep on rollin'. My 2007 goal is: knitting only the beautiful yarns I already own. Spend some time and money taking a Magic Loop sock class, and maybe an Entrelac class. One of our Stash sisters has coined a cool word for her Stash Project: making a "stashghan"! She has a cool stashghan started on her blog site. It is waaay cool. I hope she will post it again! I would like to give a stashghan to my daughter! Her pattern is easy...and it eliminates having to seam a bunch of squares at a later date. As you know...I am bad at getting to the assembly phase.

TO ALL STASHIES! At the beginning of each month throughout 2007, maybe on the 1st of each month, I will check in and post my new yarn $expenditure$ for the previous month. I hope it is $0. If I spend any money, I hope it will be for patterns, organization tools, classes, etc...but NO YARN. I am a Serial Stasher...so this is my own personal goal $0 for new yarn. But, I will use my New Yarn reward if needs be...if I intend to KNIT IT RIGHT AWAY. Can't add New Yarn to the Stash for a "someday project".

Well, off to watch American Idol on tape, and work on that purple MicroSpun scarf! It's about 12" now. It's taking more time than I thought.

Mulderknitter
01-25-2007, 10:00 AM
Way to go ArtLady! Keep going on that microspun scarf!
I like your thiinking on the gc- I did get it before the stashies started so it's not my fault I can have new yarn. And I just might need to buy that lace book that I've been eyeing... :shrug:
I have even started stash busting before I knew I should. I have a bday present to make for my best friend due in 2 weeks, so I rushed home and dug out the leftovers from her scarf that I made and am making a matching hat! In the process I wound up 2 skeins of lace weight yarn that needed it, now I can go buy that book - right? books aren't stash! :heart:

kitkat
01-25-2007, 12:14 PM
Dear Stashies -

Issue here - I signed up for a class before I committed to be a stashie - and LYS insists that you buy the supplies there for the class - and becuase its a year-long class - (one square at a time), the yardage requirement is heinous.

So.....in order to fulfill my prior commitment...I had to give in. At least I get 25% off on it.

Now here is where I need advice: because of the yardage, I am going to have to order the yarn regardless. My initial thought was to go with this luscious malabrigo but I am worried that you won't see the stitch definition. Option 2 was Berrocco Ultra Alpaca. Incredibly yumptious. Option 3 was to use Galway chunky - in either a heathered blue or a burgundy. Price wise of course the malabrigo ends up being the most, but the Alpaca is actually probably the cheapest. What do you think??

dustinac
01-25-2007, 12:25 PM
ohh the alpaca would be nice... I also think the Encore Chunky would be a good option too... malabrigo would be wonderful.. I've done a few things with malabrigo and cables.. and you can see them.. maybe you could post and see if others had good stitch definition with malabrigo. :?? I wasn't much help :teehee:

I joined for a scarf thing once a month.. I'm starting in Feb.. :rofl: my mom and dh think I need to get out for some knitting time while he stays with the kids... I can buy the yarn as I go and just what I need.. so will do stash busting in between...

madametj
01-25-2007, 07:49 PM
i think i need to work on finishing UFOs more than stash-busting :oops:

ArtLady1981
01-25-2007, 08:38 PM
Hi Stashies! We are such a great team of Stashies, so conscientious about buying new yarn...etc. Let's make one thing clear: ANYTHING you committed to prior to joining the Stashies IS OKAY! If you joined a class that will require yarn purchases...buy that yarn without guilt! :-) And, of course, credit is earned by finishing WIP's! Because, when you think about it...yarn that is on the needles...but not finished...is really part of your Stash...until the garment or item is DONE!

We are awesome!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Here is what happened to me today: Drove 30 miles south to meet my daughter for coffee. In her area is one of my favorite yarn haunts...The Lamb's Ear. Oh yes, I contemplated 'swinging by'...but then thought again: "If I use my Reward Yarn credit...then I will have to knit it right away...naw...think I will skip it..." I did not stop by The Lamb's Ear. Know why? I am in my Stash Awareness Mode...and I really want to knit away at my Stash Projects more! Yesssss! :eyebrow: Now this is the mindset that may get me out of Stash Debt by Dec 2007!!!!

madametj
01-25-2007, 08:56 PM
i think the definition of "stash" has broadened for many of us :teehee:

(p.s. will we be getting in icon for the stashies? :?? sorry to say i'm quite clueless in this area :shrug: )

lissalue
01-25-2007, 09:01 PM
i finished the dishcloths! pics to follow shortly. now i can find a pattern to buy some yarn for saturday! i am also going to buy some addi turbos and a book or two! :cheering:

Ingrid
01-25-2007, 09:12 PM
:oops: :shifty: Relapse IS part of addiction recovery, right? :oops: :shifty:

I FOUND ROWAN TAPESTRY ON SALE!!!

Hi, my name is Ingrid, and I'm a yarn addict.

:waving:

madametj
01-25-2007, 09:28 PM
so what do we call our finished stash-buster projects, stashettes? :roll:

Mulderknitter
01-25-2007, 09:44 PM
again, o my goodness this site is so good for me! :heart:
ArtLady, you are a godess for passing up a yarn store. I may have had a mild heart attack even THINKING about not stopping. My monthly fun to myself is when I have to go to the part of town that has my pharmacy (for my anti-anxiety meds) and the lys all in one area (ha ha long story on why knitting and anti anxiety meds mix) :roflhard:

Mrs. Columbo
01-25-2007, 10:54 PM
I had ordered a pattern for a GREAT felted bag even though I have yet to complete ONE project and have NEVER felted ...... the LYS called last week to say it was in ..... they are a quilting shop and just opened a yarn section in September ...... I had planned on going to return some stash yarn that I knew I would not be using and REFUSED to exchange it for another color but am leaving that for tomorrow .... instead I went to the LYS and got my pattern plus a pair of Addi Turbos in 5 mm as that is one size I didn't have and I've never used the Addi's ...... however, since I am returning the un useable yarn tomorrow I did buy some baby wool to do a baby blanket ...

It is REPLACEMENT yarn not NEW yarn ...

I'm still so weak and ashamed ... :passedout:

Toby

ArtLady1981
01-26-2007, 12:51 AM
Hi Mrs. Columbo! We must do what we must do! I think trading yarn for things or yarn for yarn...or such like...is completely logical! But, that is coming from a Serial Stasher! :teehee: Sounds cool to me! Isn't it neat that we are even giving our yarn relationships a second thought?
Awareness is the path to...wherever we want to go! We decide!

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Mrs. Columbo
01-26-2007, 01:05 AM
I confess that I too am a serial stasher ... I am in need of therapy that involves chai tea and chocolate in some form .... I shall require many many sessions of chai and chocolate ... dare I have it while mindlessly en route to the LYS ... *sigh* ... recovery is not in the forseeable future.

Ahh but at least we have our priorities .. THAT is what is important.

SOMEDAY I SHALL FINISH SOMETHING AND I SHALL POST PICTURES!!

Toby

lissalue
01-26-2007, 10:47 AM
Hi Mrs. Columbo! We must do what we must do! I think trading yarn for things or yarn for yarn...or such like...is completely logical! But, that is coming from a Serial Stasher! :teehee: Sounds cool to me! Isn't it neat that we are even giving our yarn relationships a second thought?
Awareness is the path to...wherever we want to go! We decide!

glad to see this, i made a yarn swap yesterday, sock yarn for sock yarn, compltely equal. no adding no taking away. i was hoping this was okay. :teehee:

ArtLady1981
01-26-2007, 01:57 PM
HI STASHIES!!!

I finished that purple Microspun scarf last night!!! :cheering: :cheering:

I immediately dragged out those two HUGE balls of frogged NORO Silk Garden, and cast on the 80 stitches for the back of my next Stash Project! Actually knit the first 3 rows of the garter ridge bottom edge! But, then Greys Anatomy was over and it was time to turn off the Tube. Why is it I watch Greys? Mindless? Harmless? Well, without a lot of action, one can knit along and not miss much!

Here is the scarf!

pandaca
01-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Hi Stashies,

Can I join? I've only been knitting about 3 1/2 months and, um, in all my excitement about my new hobby I have acquired a LOT of yarn!

I have 3 projects OTN and 3 other projects committed, all of which I alread have yarn for! I will NOT buy more yarn until all 6 projects are finished.

ArtLady1981
01-26-2007, 02:11 PM
Welcome to STASHIES, Pandaca!

You have it correct! Knit up those beautiful skeins of yarn BEFORE you purchase more! Finish your current projects before casting on another!

Don't get into the predicament of us Serial Stashers...owning more yarn than you can itemize from memory...owning more yarn that you can possibly knit in 5 years!!

Welcome aboard! :heart:

Let us know your progress, and try to post a photo of your finished projects! It encourages us all! There is hope.... :eyebrow:

ArtLady1981
01-26-2007, 02:17 PM
Here is an interesting link for HOPE HATS! The lady has knit 50 of them for the Johns Hopkins Cancer Center. She includes the pattern! Pretty cut little hats! Stash busters, too!

http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/hatchemo.htm

Mulderknitter
01-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Way to go finishing the scarf AND casting on another one! :cheering:
Lovely job by the way.

ArtLady1981
01-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Thanks Mulderknitter! :hug:

To Sister Stashies! I took another defensive, preventative step...and it will help me stay on my Stash Bustin' Roll!

I unsubscribed to my weekly Ebay yarn updates. You Ebayers know what I mean. When you put an Ebay Yarn Shop into Your Favorite Sellers category, you can opt for weekly (by email) updates about their new stuff, Top Picks, they call it!

I have accumulated a lot of my Stash through these wonderful Ebay sellers! Thirteen of them in fact. Sigh. Today, I edited My Preferences...to eliminate the email yarn solicitations! Mind you, I can still GO TO EBAY on purpose, and look for yarn...but it just won't be able to come looking for me!!!! :thumbsup:

DonnaS
01-26-2007, 02:58 PM
Well... I really needed to join this but with the recent huge influx of yarn into my stash does that mean I'd start in the hole as far as points? :wall: :shrug: :roflhard:

Mulderknitter
01-26-2007, 03:26 PM
I don't think anyone starts in the hole-it just wouldn't be fair. Besides, that would deter people from joining and we need all the support we can get! :hug: :hug: :hug:

wandaweberg
01-26-2007, 05:55 PM
Here is another great outlet for your knitting projects.

http://leisurearts.com/all_skills/knitting/chemo_caps.asp

http://leisurearts.com/all_skills/knitting/kn_images/Hm_Cntr_Chemo.jpg

wandaweberg
01-26-2007, 05:56 PM
oops - trouble with computer - another double post

AND I don't know how to properly place in the url

:wall:

ArtLady1981
01-26-2007, 08:47 PM
HELLO STASHIES!

I visited Barnes and Noble today...purchased a cool Knitting Journal. Inside are pages to keep track of finished projects, insert a photo, a yarn sample, etc. Cute journal. One project per one page.

Anyhoo...I have seen it on the shelf many a time...but did not feel at all motivated to keep track of projects in general. BUT...I now have a great idea for it! I am going to keep track of 2007 Stash Projects!

It's just me. It may not be you. It is early on in the year of Stash Busting...so, it should be reasonably easy to catch the Journal up to date. I keep digital photos of my projects, and I will just print them on regular paper...no need to get too fancy!

I would insert New Yarn Reward Projects too...but...I hope to work on the Stash Projects only.

Stash On, Sisters! (ps: did we ever learn if we have any Stash Brothers??)

Hey, what is an ICON? One of our Stash Sisters has inquired if we will be creating an ICON for our Stashies Group! I don't know exactly what that means...and where would the ICON appear???

Help, anyone???

Mrs. Columbo
01-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Icon I believe is also called an avatar ..

Toby

Emeraldcutie
01-26-2007, 11:30 PM
The Icon we were requesting is like a membership badge, and if you look under Hilldes posts, you see one with a sheep and so forth showing what projects she participates in etc.
It's kinda like your way of letting everyone else know that you are a stashie..lol

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-27-2007, 12:16 AM
:teehee: I love being made an example of!!! :aww:

misha rf
01-27-2007, 12:35 AM
Oh, I *so* need to join y'all!!

My stash mountain is slowly growing. It was under control...I'd knitted up a ton of scarves for Christmas presents, and could actually find stuff again.

And then I got a gift certificate to one of my LYS...and made a few trips to Michaels...and ordered some from WEBS during their sale...and I think y'all know where I'm going with this.

The Husband has made comments on the size of the stash (although he's been told by others that mine isn't nearly *that* bad).

Please, count me in!!!

Mrs. Columbo
01-27-2007, 01:15 AM
I had some stash yarn that I had bought to do a blanket for the rescue Dogue .... cheapie stuff I got for very little on sale .... I started the blanket and my dog tore it apart ... I realized I didn't like the color combo so today I returned the other 15 balls I'd bought .... I was scanning the yarn section for some "replacement" yarn but (fortunately) couldn't find six balls in one dye lot ...

I came away empty handed .... I am becoming stronger. :cheering:

Toby

nadja la claire
01-27-2007, 10:01 AM
I've finished my cowl, I'm now working on my socks and still working on my throw. I'm not going to my LYS this weekend, I'll probably go next weekend. How many points do I get for finishing some UFOs? I don't want to start working on my stash until I've done at least a couple more UFOs. Of course I have been commissioned to make a hat for a friend so it would be ok to go to the LYS to get the yarn for that, right?

Nadja xxx

lissalue
01-27-2007, 10:50 AM
okay, a couple of questions here.

1. Some one said they may give me some yarn, so that is gift yarn and not reward yarn, right?

and if that is correct then:

2. My dad gave me money to spend at the yarn store today, so that counts as gift yarn, right?

i bought my reward yarn last night a walmart. i got some peaches and cream for making dishcloths for all the kids teachers for valentines. i will post pics when i get back from my yarn store trip.

lauraknits
01-27-2007, 10:53 AM
Well, I ordered yarn a while ago and YarnLady said that's stash yarn, since I ordered it before the stashies began. I think if you got the gift cert before joining stashies you should be all good. If not, just use that for your first reward project![/quote]

lissalue
01-27-2007, 10:56 AM
no, he gave it to me yesterday when he heard i was going to a yarn store and have no money. he is a good daddy! i hope i can use it, i am planning on getting some books and needles as well, but i would love to get some mmmmmmmmmmmm.

eta: i already bought my reward yarn

lauraknits
01-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Well, here's how I see it: If someone is giving it to you, you have no control over that. If you knit it right away it's reward yarn. If you cast on something and put it aside for a week, it's a UFO. If you put it with the rest of your yarn while you knit other stuff, it incorporates into your stash. Anyway, it works out!

lissalue
01-27-2007, 11:03 AM
thanks :teehee: . working it out so i could buy yarn is exactly what i was going for! i feel so weak, but i want yarn!

dustinac
01-27-2007, 11:45 AM
:cheering: Dh's socks are finally off the needles... I CO to Danica last night using SWS I had in my stash..

:teehee: of course I've already ordered my reward yarn for the socks

I'm suppose to go the library today to hear Marcia Lewandowski talk about Folk Mittens.. I plan on working some dish rags while there if others are knitting... :happydance:

hopefully the rain/snow mix they are calling for doesn't happen or I'll be to big of a chicken to go..

Petals
01-27-2007, 02:36 PM
MMMMMM fetching from my stash :happydance:

ArtLady1981
01-27-2007, 02:48 PM
To Lissalue, Dustinac and Petals!
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: Way to go ladies! Finishing lots of projects! Hey there Petals, thanks for posting the photo of your beautifully knit wrist warmers! Great work! I love the colors!

TO ALL STASHIES! I am trying to figure out how to create an ICON for our "Year of the Stash" Club! STASHIES for short. I was thinking about using a treasure chest for our ICON. Like, our Stash is a treasure...but in a chest it doesn't do anyone much good. So, a Treasure Chest could be an appropriate ICON for us, don't you think?

Well, where will I get the Treasure Chest graphic? Does anyone know? Do I have to 'import' it from my computer, like we do with photos of our work?

Any input will be appreciated. And, if the graphic needs to be imported, does anyone have a Treasure Chest graphic handy?
:happydance:

Emeraldcutie
01-27-2007, 10:21 PM
I found some really cute icons, but don't have the ability to add the stashies or year to it.

Here's what I found.

DonnaS
01-27-2007, 10:47 PM
Artlady I can fix a graphic with text or animation if you need one done. If you can email me (or someone can email me) a picture of the treasure chest icon, I can do one up. Just let me know what size you want it and what you want it to say.. I can even make the "jewels" sparkle ;)

DonnaS
01-27-2007, 10:48 PM
Artlady I can fix a graphic with text or animation if you need one done. If you can email me (or someone can email me) a picture of the treasure chest icon, I can do one up. Just let me know what size you want it and what you want it to say.. I can even make the "jewels" sparkle ;)

auburnchick
01-27-2007, 11:01 PM
If you like any of the ones she posted above, just right click on them and "save as picture."

zkimom
01-27-2007, 11:09 PM
MMMMMM fetching from my stash :happydance:

Petals,

Those are just lovely!

What kind of yarn did you use?

Best,
Susan

lissalue
01-27-2007, 11:21 PM
if you want to see my "gift" yarn go to my blog http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21765&start=210

these are pics of all of it, and when i get a chance i will take pics of my finished stash objects and my reward yarn.

ArtLady1981
01-27-2007, 11:23 PM
OK STASHIES! Here goes...we are trying to create an ICON for our "Year of the Stash 2007" group!

Thanks for all the help sent to me! Emeraldcutie, thanks for the Icon samples!

To all the knitters who sent me a Private Message, lending assistance: Thank you, too!

DonnaS: THANK YOU SO MUCH! Your ICON submission is just the best ever...and thanks for helping me get it up and running...Hildie, THANKS TO YOU AS WELL!!!!

DonnaS
01-27-2007, 11:44 PM
Wasn't sure what size you wanted, but would something like this work?

http://www.century-oak.com/emotes/stashie.jpg

ArtLady1981
01-28-2007, 12:20 AM
TO ALL STASHIES! Well, I think we have an ICON winner for ourselves!
How do you like it? Now, my next question: how does everyone else put it into their signature...same as I did? Well, if that is so...believe me...I got it down now! Send me a PM and I will help you. DonnaS has the ICON on her own Domain Server....and she sent me the link.
Thanks to Hildegard and DonnaS! And thanks to all who contributed through Private Messages, too! Sometimes I communicate directly through PM so our thread doesn't become littered with non-subject tech stuff.

:cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance:

Emeraldcutie
01-28-2007, 12:35 AM
Geesh I tried to add it but Iam not doing something right.
I sent you a pm Artlady for help.

Thanks

DonnaS
01-28-2007, 12:38 AM
Yay! Glad you liked :happydance:

Just paste the url for the image http://www.century-oak.com/emotes/stashie.jpg as an img with that IMG tag... no spaces.. and it should work. You can do the same thing from your own server as well if you'd rather save the image off :)

Emeraldcutie
01-28-2007, 12:42 AM
Iam going to copy and paste it, where do I insert it on my profile?
I was trying to find which option to place it under.

Emeraldcutie
01-28-2007, 12:59 AM
I got it I got it :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
Thanks Ladies for all your help.

would never have tried that in a million years..

:wall:

:muah:

My name is Laura, and Iam a Stashie. :hug:

ArtLady1981
01-28-2007, 01:02 AM
TO ALL STASHIES!

If you wish to add our STASHIES Icon to your Signature, follow these steps:

1) open your Profile page
2) in your Signature text box write:

My Yarn Stash is a Treasure Chest!
place the URL you see just below inbetween these 2 funny little image brackets
http://www.century-oak.com/emotes/stashie.jpg

Remember: you have to embrace the URL inbetween the funnly little image and brackets...no spaces...butt the URL right up next to the image brackets

3) Then, at the bottom of your Profile page...click SUBMIT.

My suggestion: to copy all that URL exactly: highlight it, do a Right Click, Click COPY...then plug it in (PASTE) between the two image brackets: is first and the caboose bracket is

DON'T FORGET THE LAST THING: Click SUBMIT

Be back in a little while...I am off to work on that Frogged NORO Silk Garden Stash Project. Started it one way last night... don't like it...will frog what I have done...about 3"...and re-start a different pattern I think. Sigh. Gotta get it right this time! :wall:

madametj
01-28-2007, 01:13 AM
:cheering: mine works :happydance:

newknitteraswell
01-28-2007, 01:52 AM
sorry little ot here I just wanted to check my signature with the picture.

hope it works (fingers crossed)

gingerbread
01-28-2007, 08:37 AM
I am so in for the stash busting. I really don't have to much but it has to go.
This way I have a reason to use it. Most of my yarn is acrylic and not so good for much of anything. I am going to make squares out of them. The wool that I bought I am going to make into something felted. This should keep me going for a few months, then I can reward myself besides hubby will like that Idea.......
gingerbread
aka Teri

lauraknits
01-28-2007, 11:16 AM
I am sooo finishing a hat from stash today!

Hey! My icon doesnt work!!!

Edited to add: How about now?

It works! It works! :cheering:

dustinac
01-28-2007, 11:22 AM
:happydance: My scarf is coming along fast.. I think it's because I'm finally actually knitting something for myself again :teehee: I should have it done by tomorrow..depending on how much the family lets me knit today :rofl:

Mrs. Columbo
01-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Unlike when you are posting a message, the IMG tags are not on the profile page, you have to type them in yourself ....

Toby

Mrs. Columbo
01-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Madametj you didn't get your slogan in on top of your icon!

Toby

Petals
01-28-2007, 01:28 PM
Thanks, The color for the fetching is Emerald Blue.

Mulderknitter
01-28-2007, 01:54 PM
Just doing a test to see if mine works!

lissalue
01-28-2007, 02:27 PM
i am choosing not to put the slogan above mine for now because of the other two icons i have, but i may do it in the future.

madametj
01-28-2007, 02:54 PM
Madametj you didn't get your slogan in on top of your icon!

Toby

oh, do i have to have the slogan too? :??

Mrs. Columbo
01-28-2007, 03:08 PM
I don't think you have to have it .. I just thought you'd forgotten it ... I see there is another stashie who doesn't have her slogan there either ..
are we a "Slogan Optional" club?? :teehee:

Toby

madametj
01-28-2007, 03:12 PM
I don't think you have to have it .. I just thought you'd forgotten it ... I see there is another stashie who doesn't have her slogan there either ..
are we a "Slogan Optional" club?? :teehee:

Toby

:teehee:

Petals
01-28-2007, 03:42 PM
okay, what am I doing wrong------have worked on getting this stashies icon and its a no go, I have tried every which way :wall:

I must not have something set right ---any help out there???? I probably shouldn't be allowed on a computer :teehee:

madametj
01-28-2007, 03:50 PM
okay, what am I doing wrong------have worked on getting this stashies icon and its a no go, I have tried every which way :wall:

I must not have something set right ---any help out there???? I probably shouldn't be allowed on a computer :teehee:

u've got an extra "g" after your ".jpg" just delete that one letter and u should b fine ;)

Petals
01-28-2007, 04:01 PM
:muah: Thanks so much, madametj----oh to have youth! :hug:

psammeadred
01-28-2007, 04:44 PM
Well, I finished the YARN GIRL washcloth from Becka's blog (very fun pattern!) and a plain Jane garter stitch washcloth, both with cotton from my stash. So yesterday, when I was out thrift shopping (!), I found a charcoal tweed lambswool-silk blend sweater and a GIGANTIC cream wool sweater! I wound up the wool-silk one, and I'll wind up the cream one today (it needed to be washed). Recycled yarn is right up there with fluffy kittens, snow days, and hot chocolate!

ArtLady1981
01-28-2007, 05:41 PM
Hi STASHIES!

TODAY we gained our 39th Stashie! Welcome to Gingerbread, AKA Teri from Stafford, VA!

Looks like many of us are getting Stash Projects finished already! Don't forget to post a photo if you can! If you need help with it, let me know. Send me a PM, and I will help you a much as I can! We all love seeing progress!

Well, I am off to work on that frogged NORO yarn...again. I frogged the 3" of the 2nd attempt...and started a new vest pattern that I think will work! It is in Nancy Wiseman's book called Classic Knitted Vests. It is called Friday Harbor, garter stitch throughout. I think that the NORO self striping color features will look good as 100% garter stitch. Below is a photo of the cardigan I made from the yarn last year sometime...and I had left over yarn...made a pullover vest for the cardigan...yackkk...besides being HUMONGOUS...I didn't like doing NORO over NORO for twin set. Yackkkk. But I love the cardigan. Found in a NORO book. I wear it with denim skirts or jeans! It hits me mid-thigh. Quite easy to knit.

nadja la claire
01-28-2007, 06:15 PM
Where/how can I get the logo?

Nadja xxx

madametj
01-28-2007, 06:20 PM

Nadja xxx

instructions are in the middle of page 11

Mulderknitter
01-28-2007, 06:26 PM
Wow artlady! that sure is a nice looking cardigan! i would wear it with a black shirt underneath and nice black pants to show off the colors!
Glad to see we have so many in the ranks! I have finished knitting up the hat for my best friends birthday made with LEFT OVER yarn from her scarf and am washing and blocking as we speak. I have also made some significant progress on my large afghan project (I've always wanted to make an afghan :heart: ) I am using wool-ease double stranded in a basket weave pattern which I am really excited about because I love watching the patterns emerge like magic from the needles! :cheering:
close up of pattern:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/MulderMom/Picture074.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/MulderMom/Picture073.jpg[/img]

nadja la claire
01-28-2007, 06:28 PM

Nadja xxx

instructions are in the middle of page 11

Thanks, Madametj

Nadja xxx

Mulderknitter
01-28-2007, 06:30 PM
I wonder if there is a way that we can make this thread a "sticky" so it can stay at the top????

Mrs. Columbo
01-28-2007, 06:30 PM
I love basketweave, unfortunately my basketweave blanket isn't coming up as nicely as I would have thought but perhaps that's because my stitches are so loose? I mean REAL loose. :?? And it's variegated yarn .. I tried to post pics but they won't post.

Aaagghhh.

Toby

madametj
01-28-2007, 06:40 PM
I wonder if there is a way that we can make this thread a "sticky" so it can stay at the top????

you'd probably have to ask the mods about that

Mulderknitter
01-28-2007, 07:15 PM
:roflhard: I never said the basketweave was turning out perfect! It turns out I was off by a row on the pattern in the beginning, so it's not quite basketweave. I don't care though, the yarn hides the mistakes nicely, and I'm just having fun sitting with my Mulder and knitting!
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/MulderMom/Picture075.jpg
that's him. He ALWAYS sits on the back of the couch when I knit. 11 years and 18 pounds of pure LOVE :heart:

DonnaS
01-28-2007, 07:19 PM
Does it have to be yarn used in knitting? I've crocheted up some wool I had into a basket that I plan on felting :?? Does that count? lol :shrug: :teehee:

lissalue
01-28-2007, 09:02 PM
i would think that as long as you use it, it counts :shrug: but that is just my opinion. i would count it.

pandaca
01-28-2007, 10:43 PM
Hi Stashies!

Finished my first stash-busting project tonight, a scarf for the Red Scarf Project (http://www.orphan.org/carepackages_main.xhtml). Sorry for the bad photo.

Artlady, that cardigan is gorgeous! Can you send me the pattern for the baby blanket you did? That was with microspun, right?

lissalue
01-28-2007, 11:01 PM
that scarf is gorgeous!! where'd you get the pattern?

ArtLady1981
01-28-2007, 11:17 PM
Hi Amanda! Would you post the pattern for the red scarf? Or, through PM, whatever you feel is most appropriate! That's what ya get for sharing such a GORGEOUS scarf! :heart: I think the photography is just fine!!!

Thanks!

Mrs. Columbo
01-28-2007, 11:23 PM
What a great site, the Red Scarf Project .. you know we hear about homeless shelters, womens shelters, caps for kids and blankets for babies but I have never heard of scarves for orphan teens ... what a terrific and worthwhile project ...

I'm going knit a red scarf. :cheering:

Toby

madametj
01-28-2007, 11:30 PM
Hi Stashies!

Finished my first stash-busting project tonight, a scarf for the Red Scarf Project (http://www.orphan.org/carepackages_main.xhtml). Sorry for the bad photo.

Artlady, that cardigan is gorgeous! Can you send me the pattern for the baby blanket you did? That was with microspun, right?

i just took a look at the site and was wondering if the scarf you pictured is from the pattern "Mock Reverisibly 'Cabled' Scarf" (the one they listed on the site)? if so, i'd really like to make it, its gorgeous.

Mrs. Columbo
01-28-2007, 11:33 PM

pandaca,

At the top of page 4 on this thread, ArtLady has kindly submitted the pattern for her baby blanket.

Toby

misha rf
01-29-2007, 12:13 AM
OK, just testing to see if I got the thingie loaded correctly at the bottom.

I finished knitting my baby sweater today--now I just have to stitch it together, after I'm done blocking it. Hopefully, the sewing won't be too terrible!

I'm also finishing up a shawl that I've had in progress for a while now, and frogged a baby blankie that I didn't like.

ArtLady1981
01-29-2007, 03:25 AM
Hi there Misha!

Have you tried the "mattress stitch" seaming technique? I swear to you...it is easier and faster than any other seaming style!

Check out the video clip on this website under Basic Techniques. In the dropdown box, click MORE. Scroll down a bit, and you will come to the category FINISHING. Seaming is the first topic shown under FINISHING!

Wish I had learned the mattress stitch seaming technique YEARS AGO...but alas...twas not so. Many of my early sweaters had very sad seams. It is almost embarrassing now! Mattress is the only way to go!

Please take a look at it! :thinking:

pandaca
01-29-2007, 03:36 AM
Toby, thanks, I just totally missed the pattern on page 4!

This is the scarf: http://smariek.blogspot.com/2006/09/asherton-reversible-scarf.html. It's a great pattern, but got a little boring towards the end. I loved the finished result, though!

ArtLady1981
01-29-2007, 04:29 AM
Thanks for posting the link for the scarf Amanda! I think yours is more beautiful than the grey version!

DonnaS
01-29-2007, 08:11 AM
Beautiful! I love that scarf pattern :)

misha rf
01-29-2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks, ArtLady1981! I'll definitely need the video help. I can mend a hem, but this is new to me.

Pandaca, thanks for posting that pattern. It's lovely! I sense another stashbusting pattern.... :happydance:

Mrs. Columbo
01-29-2007, 12:41 PM
Pandaca, thanks for posting that pattern. It's lovely! I sense another stashbusting pattern.... :happydance:

I would love to make that scarf for that cause ..... soooo worthwhile .... however I HAVE NO RED YARN ..... hmmm ... I sense an exchange of unused, recently purchased stash yarn coming on ....... :cheering: :cheering:

Toby

kellyh57
01-29-2007, 12:54 PM
I would love to make that scarf for that cause ..... soooo worthwhile .... however I HAVE NO RED YARN ..... hmmm ... I sense an exchange of unused, recently purchased stash yarn coming on ....... :cheering: :cheering:

Toby

It doesn't have to be red. Any gender neutral color is fine. I have a bunch of green yarn that I think I'll use for it....I wish you could do any color and they just sort them out boys/girls, but no, they want their job to be too easy. I could get rid of a bunch of stash if they let me use my girly looking stuff!

Kelly

misha rf
01-29-2007, 12:59 PM

Toby [/quote]

If you've got any neutral colors, those will work for the project, too:

http://nownormaknits2.typepad.com/red_scarf_project_2007/

Edited to add: Kelly, we think alike!

Holly
01-29-2007, 01:17 PM
:thumbsup: I'm in also! I haven't finished reading every post, but I love the idea of extra credit for the UFO completions :-)! Are we going to have a "Stashie" blog thread?!

Holly

auburnchick
01-29-2007, 01:18 PM
Toby,

You must LOVE your LYS!!! Thank goodness they have you! :teehee:

I, personally, hate to shop. Without an LYS that carries the good stuff, I'm safe (except for the internet...drats...).

Mrs. Columbo
01-29-2007, 01:45 PM
They'd go out of business if it weren't for me .... I buy mostly at Wal Mart and Michael's .... once I get going and do something more than blankets for dogs and learn how to make sweaters for me, the LYS will love to see me ... *sigh* .... thank goodness for a model train railroad enthusiast husband whose train cars cost more than my yarn so he says absolutely nothing .... :hug:

Toby

bip
01-29-2007, 02:40 PM
Have y'all seen the Seinfeld episode "The Contest"? Well, I am not at all master of my knitting domain, and unfortunately I have to slap my $50 bucks down now.

I started off very well. I made a baby blanket using up 3 skeins of Homespun. They were big skeins, not so easy to get rid of, so I "elongated" the diagonal pattern to make a rectangle instead of a square. I'm pretty proud of myself for being able to figure that out (not that it was rocket science, but I have to revel in my small victories). Still have two skeins of the stuff left and no idea what to do with it...

Then I used some purple Allure with hot pink fun fur to make an Official Big Sister Scarf for the big sister of the baby getting the blanket. Used all the purple, dunno what I'm going to do w/ the 1 1/2 sk of pink fun fur I'm left with (I mean, I am aware that there are millions of things I could do with it, but I am overwhelmed with my backlog, as you will see in this post).

I also made a dish cloth with some mint Cotton Ease my mom gave me. On the one hand I was very proud because the pattern (from the most recent Creative Knitting) was for mock cables, but the cables were only on one side and I figured out how to get cables on both sides. Again, not rocket science, but I got pretty puffed up about it....But the woman (my mom) had given me FIVE skeins and this cloth didn't even use a full skein.

I also had a bunch of Simply Soft left over from a crochet afghan, and most of the colors appeared in this http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/1190AD.html, yes, the world's most beautiful afghan (not to be confused with the world's sexiest afghan as discussed on that other thread). I figured out how to do it w/o buying any more yarn...

Then someone got me all hot and bothered about the $1 sale at Michaels, so of course I had to go.

I ended up buying 4 better colors for the spiral afghan (bumping yarn I already have). I also got a skein of lavender cotton and a skein of baby blue cotton so I can make a set of dish clothes to use up the mint Cotton Ease. I didn't think I could stand to do a set all in mint alone.

And for some reason I bought 11 skeins of this http://www.modadea.com/cheri.htm in pink. It was so soft and $2/skein.

I also got 5 skeins of Paton's Divine, but I am not counting that because a) it is for a sweater I promised to my mom's best friend and b) my mom originally bought the yarn for me, but it was the wrong kind so I returned it for Divine.

However, the sale at Michael's doesn't explain how I acquired enough Reynold's Odyssey to make this Hippy Chick Tunic (1/2 way down the page) http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/0-1202-1209-1217/0/0/1590/ when I already had the yarn for the Pearl Buck Swing Jacket (IK Winter 2005).

And for the first time in ages, I have more than one project on the needles at once: I am doing a brioche scarf for DH (which I can work on on public transit to/from work every day), AND the spiral afghan (still on DPNs, not taking that on the train until it is big enough to go on a circular!) And did I mention that my 169 Granny Square crochet afghan is still in pieces on my floor? So I can't even really count that as an FO yet.

I am not an accountant, but this is NOT good. I may need a more structured "12-step" approach to stash-maintenence.

The worst part is that I have ideas for everything in my stash, and I do get a lot of knitting time in each week...but I keep my stash 10 steps ahead!

Mrs. Columbo
01-29-2007, 04:58 PM
Well I just love bip's posting .... great motivation for those (of us) who can't seem to dig into our stash .... I think someone should write a 12 step program on stash maintenance .... THE 12 COMMANDMENTS OF STASH .... :teehee:

Why is there such a problem with some of us (no names mentioned to protect the guilty :teehee: ) who feel that stash is for "something other than the project we want to begin?" .. in other words, why do we feel that we must buy more yarn to do a scarf yet we have tons of yarn that would make a truly marvellous scarf staring at us from the closet? Begging to be made into something?

I confess. I am one of the guilty. Anyone else have a problem digging into stash or am I traveling solo on this one??? :wink:

Toby

ArtLady1981
01-29-2007, 05:24 PM
Hi Brett! (bip)

Your Post made my day! You're hilarious!

Seriously though, your STASHIE account is not in as bad o' shape as you think! The way I see it:
Your 3 Stash Projects offset 3 of your New Yarn expenditures!

The baby blanket earns the '4 better colors for the spiral afghan'.
The pink scarf earns the 11 pink skeins.
The dishcloth earns the Lav & Blue cotton for future dishcloths.

The Stash Projects vs the New Yarn Reward Projects are not a skein for skein thing. That would be too complicated!

Try to KNIT THE NEW YARN right away, so that is doesn't add to the mountain of STASH yarn.

The Reynold's Odyssey is your only Stash debt! :pout:

:hug: YOU ARE MAKING PROGRESS! The first step in any 'recovery program' is AWARENESS of our actions. I think it is safe to say, all of us STASHIES are now AWARE of our yarn habits...enough to help us limit the size of the STASH...and maybe actually use some of the STASH!
During my 5 year STASH BINGE...I would mindlessly buy, buy, buy...at a far greater rate than I could ever knit! Ebay facilitated that BINGE a lot. I hate to shop...but the Ebay yarn shops are sooo easy...and the prices are as good as any sale.

I wanted to go to one of my LYS for the past 2 weeks...to look at her new Lantern Moon circs...but....eeeeks...she has such a wonderful 'sale yarn' bin...a weakness for me. I have not gone yet. I may not. If I sees it, I buys it. My strength is that I know this about myself!

:yay:

Anyway, don't give up on your 2007 YEAR OF THE STASH! :cheering:

My name is Dollyce and I am a Recovering Serial Stasher! :notworthy:

Mrs. Columbo
01-29-2007, 05:45 PM
I wanted to go to one of my LYS for the past 2 weeks...to look at her new Lantern Moon circs...but.... If I sees it, I buys it.

Amen to that sister.

Toby

ArtLady1981
01-29-2007, 06:09 PM
Hi Mrs Columbo!

I understand the frustration you feel! Yes indeedie! :pout:

I also think it is a Good Idea to have some guidelines! "STASH-BUSTING" COMMANDMENTS 2007!
(whaddya think Stashies?)
This should be a Team Effort. We have 40 members now...and 40 minds are better than one!

Here are a few we have so far:

Commandment #1: Organize the Stash! (methods can be shared amongst us!)
Commandment #2: Visit with the Stash often! (cuz...out of sight...out of mind)
Commandment #3: Need a new project to knit? Visit Stash Bin before LYS.
Commandment #4: New Yarn purchases MUST BE used for the very next project!
Commandment #5: Choose a "Giftee", Stash Yarn, and Pattern for the yardage...in that order.
Commandment #6: Know Yourself. "If I sees it, I buys it". If this is you (!) then Stay Out of LYS & Yarn Aisles UNLESS you are shopping for an 'earned' New Yarn Reward Project.
Commandment #7: Stash Yarn may be exchanged for different yarn for FREE.
Commandment #8: New Yarn acquired with Gift Certificates or Store Credit are FREE.
Commandment #9: Cash gifts specified 'Yarn for You' are FREE.
Commandment #10: Previous Commitments are FREE. (eg: a class requires yarn purchase)
Commandment #11: WIPs/OTNs are Stash Yarn until they are done! Completed WIPs/OTNs earn Reward!
Commandment #12: Frogged yarn re-knit into something new earns DOUBLE CREDIT! Double Reward!

Any additional input for our Commandments from our STASHIE sisters?? Well, if not right now...first think about the "why" and "how" of your Stash accumulation. Then it is relatively easy to come up with a remedy! Share! We will add other commandments that you share!!!

:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

My name is Dollyce and I am a Recovering Serial Stasher! :eyebrow:

Mrs. Columbo
01-29-2007, 06:22 PM
Good Idea: The 12 Commandments of Stash!

Commandment #1: Organize the Stash! (methods can be shared amongst us!)
Commandment #2: Visit with the Stash often! (cuz...out of sight...out of mind)
Commandment #3: Need a new project to knit? Visit Stash Bin before LYS.
Commandment #4: New Yarn purchases MUST BE used for the very next project!
Commandment #5: Choose a "Giftee", Stash Yarn, and Pattern for the yardage...in that order.
Commandment #6: Know Yourself. "If I sees it, I buys it". If this is you (!) then Stay Out of LYS & Yarn Aisles UNLESS you are shopping for an 'earned' New Yarn Reward Project.

Commandment #7: Recently purchased Stash Yarn may be exchanged for another color and not affect The Stash (that is unless you think your Grandpa would appreciate a hot pink lap throw) :eyebrow:

Toby

Mrs. Columbo
01-29-2007, 08:06 PM
Found this ... destash page ... you mean people want our stash??????

http://destash.blogspot.com/

Toby

Mrs. Columbo
01-29-2007, 08:09 PM
How can you add little icons to your signature? I want to add one to mine, I saved it to my computer from a site .. ?

Toby

Mulderknitter
01-29-2007, 09:25 PM
ah, artlady, I love #2. I do not do this enough and thus have no idea what I have :cheering: gotta love finding something new that you forgot you have!

ArtLady1981
01-29-2007, 09:44 PM
Hi Mulder!

Yes, I am glad you agree! When you take time to pause and reflect...There musta been a love connection at the time of the yarn purchase...so what happened already!!??

I know. I know!

You stashed it away...and forgot the love you had at the outset! :heart: :heart: :heart:

THAT is one of my main stumbling blocks...stashing it away and forgetting it! I promise to make it up to all my yarn during this Year of the Stash! I got a lot o' makin' up to do!

:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

My name is Dollyce and I am a Recovering Serial Stasher! :eyebrow:

Mrs. Columbo
01-29-2007, 09:53 PM
Nathalie,

Please provide photo of said "One UGLY Sweater Bag". Need to know what a sweater bag is.

Toby

Mrs. Columbo
01-29-2007, 10:02 PM
"Lady Stashbusters",

I am here to offer a solution to eliminating your FELTABLE WOOL STASH ... I recently went to my LYS (yes, I know, I said a bad word) ... :teehee: and saw this felted sheep bag which would be used as a knitting bag to carry our (FUTURE SMALL) stash around in .... the knitty lady there gives classes however she gave this one at a time when I was into the bearmaking world and not knitting ... I loved the bag so ordered the pattern .... the other day I sat in the parking lot and told myself I AM GOING IN ONLY TO PICK UP THE BAG PATTERN NOT TO ADD TO MY STASH! My mother told me that repeating anything 3 times makes it yours (hmm, tried that in university for the captain of the football team but saying Steve three times didn't do diddly :oops: )

Here is a link to the picture of the bag and if anyone wants the pattern .............. :teehee:
http://www.fibertrends.com/viewer/V5_accessories.html
Well that doesn't take you to the page, I just tried it ... scroll down on the left side to "SHEEP TOTE".

Toby

misha rf
01-30-2007, 12:18 AM
OOOOH! I like that sheep tote! Pockets gooood. And I've been wanting to do a pair of their felt clogs.

I've also started this one, using the Paton soy wool stripe that I bought:

http://www.cu-needleworks.com/Patterns/Bags/Newspaperbag/newspaperbag.pdf

As I have a ton of that (ok, 12 skeins, varying colors). I'm making the largest size in hopes of using up most of it.

Y'know, if we could graft on extra arms, we could knit simultaneous projects and bust more of the stash!! :happydance:

My name is Michele, and I am a yarn addict.

auburnchick
01-30-2007, 12:30 AM
Nathalie,

Please provide photo of said "One UGLY Sweater Bag". Need to know what a sweater bag is.

Toby

You asked for it!

Here are several pictures. To get an idea, this purse was supposed to be for the average woman (pattern is Lion Brand Wool-Ease). It has some nice cabling. To obtain horizontal gauge, I had to go up either two or three needle sizes; however, I think that affected my vertical gauge. I should have stayed with a smaller needle and not worried so much about how wide it was. Now, if I was an Amazon woman, this might actually be useable.

Hanging from my closet...

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/DSC01811-1.jpg

Sitting up against my futon...

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/DSC01810-1.jpg

Close-ups of cabling...

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/DSC01814-1.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/DSC01813-1.jpg

This picture is with the front flap up. There is a pocket in the front (yes, you can fit the kitchen sink in there!!

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/DSC01815.jpg

auburnchick
01-30-2007, 12:59 AM
Question...

I just figured out that I don't have enough of the Noro for the booga bag I'm planning on making. I had ordered this from RamWools when it was 30% off earlier this month. I just placed my order for the other two skeins that I need. Does this count as adding to the stash since I really should have had it already?? I do have a plan for it. ;)

ChroniclesofYarnia
01-30-2007, 01:16 AM
I've decided I am just going to have to bite the bullet. All the yarn is just laying there, and I am never going to do anything with it. On Friday I will go through it all, keep a small box full of my favorites and my sock yarns, and the rest will be in the Buy/Sell on this site.

Everytime I go through it, I end up not being able to part with any of it. The cord needs to be severed!

Mrs. Columbo
01-30-2007, 03:23 AM
the rest will be in the Buy/Sell on this site.

There's a BUY AND SELL on this site?????? AAGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Toby :thud:

ArtLady1981
01-30-2007, 11:26 AM
Hi AuburnChick AKA Nathalie!

I don't think your knitted sweater bag is ugly at all! It is mainly just unusable because of that shoulder strap. Way too long and kinda looks like it wants to stretch out because of the weight of the bag itself. It is only the shoulder strap that is ugly...and way too long to be useful!

Is there any way you could remove the shoulder strap, re-knit that yarn using a different, stronger stitch...or maybe make a big fat I-cord! Could you replace it with some cream or tan web strapping...or leather...or a soft vinyl fabric cut into strips, braid it, and make your own shoulder strap!? Could you "feed" a pre-cut length of webbing into the center of the existing shoulder strap (it looks like it is doubled over/two-sided) to pull the shoulder strap back to an acceptable length and to stabilize/strengthen it.

Is the bag knit with wool? If so, you could felt the shoulder strap only...without felting the whole bag...maybe over a sink full of super hot water, and do your own swishing til it felts.

Well, there's gotta be an option to 'save' this beautiful bag! Does anyone else agree with me...that this bag is worth saving?? Does anyone else have some ideas for her??

auburnchick
01-30-2007, 12:39 PM
Hmmm...good ideas. I have to admit that I am not very creative or crafty.

The bag just seems sooooo huge!! Maybe I'll have my kids take a picture of me holding the bag. That will give you a better idea of just how big it is. I'll post it after I get home from work this afternoon.

The bag is wool (Lion Wool-Ease). I think I used five skeins to make the bag.

Perhaps the strap is too long, but the bag part itself seems too big too.

I really do love the cabling, and it would be a shame to have to frog the entire thing.

More updates later...

BTW, I was very, very good today. I'm teaching a co-worker how to knit, and I let her use some yarn and needles to make her first small project. She returned the remainder of the yarn and needles today and told me that she would be buying me more yarn to replace the other yarn. I told her, "No, I don't want to add it to my stash." She looked confused. I told her she needed to read this thread to understand. Am I good or what? Does replacement yarn like this count? Maybe I could have tricked her into buying me some of that famous Mmmmmmmmm stuff y'all keep talking about (still unseen or unfelt by me). :teehee:

ArtLady1981
01-30-2007, 04:45 PM
Hi Nathalie!

Replacement yarn like you mentioned would come under the heading of GIFT YARN...and it is FREE!

Will await a photo of the bag with you on the receiving end! Will try to think up a remedy for the entire thing. You did not say if it was 100% wool...is WoolEase 100% wool? If not, does anyone know if WoolEase will felt?

Could she felt the whole bag??

CarmenIbanez
01-30-2007, 04:50 PM
Okay, it's official. I put the image in my sig and now I must stick with the promise of stash busting!

Mrs. Columbo
01-30-2007, 04:54 PM
Hi Nathalie,

I think the bag is rather neat but as ArtLady said, perhaps it's the strap that makes it look less attractive .... if it was wool maybe you could felt it and get a whole new look ....

I am determined to do that Sheep Tote BUT I HAVE NO WOOL THAT WILL FELT .... and I am determined NOT to purchase any until I have my stash (actually that's mySELF) under control ....

I'd like to put the Red Scarf icon in my signature .. anyone know how I can do that?

Toby

lissalue
01-30-2007, 07:07 PM
Hi Nathalie!

Replacement yarn like you mentioned would come under the heading of GIFT YARN...and it is FREE!

Will await a photo of the bag with you on the receiving end! Will try to think up a remedy for the entire thing. You did not say if it was 100% wool...is WoolEase 100% wool? If not, does anyone know if WoolEase will felt?

Could she felt the whole bag??

i am not positive, but i think that wool-ease will not felt, i think it is superwash.

Jess_knit
01-30-2007, 07:14 PM
Poking my head in here (I'm not at Stashie point yet...have to have a stash before you can get rid of it! Though I'm close.)

Anyway, Wool-Ease is 20% wool, 80% acrylic. It will not felt, since there's not a whole lot of actual wool in there. :teehee:

DonnaS
01-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Completed:

2 felted baskets with stash wool.. well one completed, the other one didn't felt :??

halfway through a lace scarf (my first lace knit!) and another one in line to be worked up :cheering:

ArtLady1981
01-30-2007, 08:21 PM
Hi Donna S!!!! Kudos for the completed Stash Projects!!! U Rock!

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

I am still workin' at that frogged yarn (NORO Silk Garden) New project is a Friday Harbor vest. It is goin' slow however...knitting straight up garter stitch is tiring/boring. :frog: Last night it put me to sleep. Just couldn't hold my eyes open! BUT... I worked on it today at all the red lights en route to my Hair Appointment...and worked on it in the waiting area! :hug:

pandaca
01-30-2007, 08:28 PM
Nathalie, I'm sure you can salvage that bag. It's so pretty, even if it is a bit....big.

Off to the LYS to use a gift certificate for some yarn for a hat/scarf gift set. Gift certificate makes it not stash yarn, right? :teehee:

auburnchick
01-30-2007, 09:08 PM
Ok. Here's the picture of me WITH the bag. Try to control the laughter.

Ok...you can laugh a little. :roflhard:

I don't think the bag will shrink. I think I had posted that question AFTER I finished the bag and realized how HUGE it is.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/DSC01819.jpg

psammeadred
01-30-2007, 09:24 PM
Off to the LYS to use a gift certificate for some yarn for a hat/scarf gift set. Gift certificate makes it not stash yarn, right? :teehee:

Sounds fine to me!

misha rf
01-30-2007, 09:39 PM
Auburnchick, aside from the shoulder strap, I don't see anything wrong with that bag. Of course, I *like* big bags. Think of all the yarn you could fit in there!!!

I also finished one of my UFOs tonight! Well, it needs to be blocked (maybe, or I could be happy with it being a little small. It's a shawl, using the pattern here:

http://www.knittinggeek.com/howto/shawlworkshop.htm

It's my first pattern using a YO. I used the Cascade Lana Grande in red (6034). I'll upload pics in a few.

ArtLady1981
01-30-2007, 09:49 PM
Hi Nathalie!

Can you hear our yuk-yuks??? :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: You have a such a great sense of humor!!! We chuckle because You are such a card! You made my day! :happydance:

Now seriously, that is a BIG BAG. :pout: Hmmm, someone posted that Wool Ease does not felt nor shrink, a SuperWash type of yarn. Dern.

Well, could you do THIS: Turn the bag inside out, and using a yarn needle and the WoolEase yarn...do running stitches along both sides and bottom...perhaps 2" in on all three seams...thereby making the bag smaller when turned rightside-out!

According to the principles of Steeks, you could trim/cut the excess yarn created on those side seams. Knitting does not ravel sideways. But don't cut the excess 'fabric' from the bottom edge...knitting does ravel top/bottom.

Is the shoulder strap knit continuously from the bag...or did you knit it and attach it separately?
If attached separately, it should be easy to remove, re-knit and replace.

If the strap is a continuous piece taking off from the body of the bag...then why not just tuck it into the bag, baste it down along the inside seams and bottom...and then make another shoulder strap with a much stronger, less stretchy pattern...or...make three I-cords, each just 4 stitches wide...and then braid them to make a cool lookin' shoulder strap. I-cord is easy. It takes some patience and time, but well worth it. Just look at the video clip on this website. Amy explains it so well.

Well, I am off to work on the frogged yarn. Sigh. :pout:

misha rf
01-30-2007, 09:57 PM
OK, going to try to post the pics.

Mrs. Columbo
01-30-2007, 10:00 PM
I couldn't see the pic at first, but did see the shawl pics (nice by the way) .. the bag is big ... but well made ... maybe ArtLady has a point here ....

Toby

DreamWeaver
01-30-2007, 10:05 PM
Is it too late for me to join? I don't really have a big stash per say, but I have tons of odd balls that I would love to get rid of so I can make room for better yarn :cheering:

And I have a question:
Say you have a project that you're working on from scrap yarn but then you run out of yarn mid project? Can you buy more of just that yarn so you can finish the project? Thanks!

misha rf
01-30-2007, 10:59 PM
Thanks, Toby!

DreamWeaver, I only joined a few days ago, so joining now shouldn't be an issue. And if you *need* the yarn to finish the project, well, then, I think you need to buy it! :teehee:

Mrs. Columbo
01-30-2007, 11:19 PM
Well I have frogged ... badly. :!!!:

I've been working on this one blankie for a rescue dog and I have started it over at LEAST 5 times .... tonight I was moving right along, knit a row, purl a row, knit a row .... I'm using Softee Chunky and 8-9 mm needles (the border knit part was done on 8's and I switched to 9's when I misplaced my 8!) ... :shrug:

Well, I noticed a HOLE!!!!!!! A HOLE!! where there should NOT BE A HOLE!!! AGGHHH .. I think I have lost about four stitches "somewhere out there" .... what a royal pain in the .... :grrr:

Not sure if you are aware I fractured my hand badly about three weeks ago thanks to my Bullmastiff (pictured) who looks calm but is actually going to die a nervous wreck according to my husband .. she spooked and bolted when some idiot in a bald tire car skidded away from a stop sign on ice .. down I went onto the icy sidewalk .... :crying: I'm not sure if this HOLE was caused due to my hand and inability to hang onto the needles properly, or if my stitches are just too damn loose ....

Tell me .. is it easier to knit on smaller needles with smaller yarn? I'm just worried I may never get anything finished but perhaps it's just that my choices in yarn and needles are not what I need for my first project .... scarves in wooly yarn like Boa and eyelash I can do great on 9-10 mm but they hide a multitude of sins plus how can you screw up 14 stitches? .... I shouldn't ask that because before long I'm sure I will have found out how!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :??

Assistance please .... at this rate I will never get my stash narrowed down!!!!!!!!! AGGHHHHHHH !!!!!!!! :passedout:

Toby

auburnchick
01-30-2007, 11:26 PM
Is the shoulder strap knit continuously from the bag...or did you knit it and attach it separately?
If attached separately, it should be easy to remove, re-knit and replace.

The strap was knit separately. I'll think about detaching it and doing something different with it later. Right now I'm all into knitting my socks and working on some of the other yarn I've accumulated since Christmas.

I really appreciate the feedback though!!!

Toby, sorry to hear about the hand. Sounds quite painful!!!! :hug:

Birdy
01-30-2007, 11:51 PM
Yes, that hand sounds terrible!

I realize this might be a wrong thing to say on a thread about yarn stashes that is this long and clearly dedicated to the "bondage to the stash" movement...

but I have a different approach to dealing with my stash.

I used to work in a Nursing home, and I simply give huge portions of my stash to the Resident's there. Now this is usually stuff that I was gifted from someone giving up on yarn working... and of no emotional value to me.

Yet... it does bring me great joy as those ladies are ever so grateful. And, the last time I must have brought 3 large black garbage bags full of centre pull wound yarn oddities... and got a phone call 3 month's later that they had used it all up!

Just a suggestion, please don't stone me! [let's just say I am new to the proper knitter thoughts as I am a lone needler until now :D]

misha rf
01-31-2007, 01:25 AM
AAAGH! Oh, Toby, that sucks! Good thing your dog is so cute, eh?

I can't tell you if it's easier to knit thinner yarn on smaller needles. :shrug: I've only recently started doing that, and I'm totally uncoordinated, so I find thicker yarn & bigger needles easier.

Roberta, that's a lovely idea. I can't see how that violates any rules. Someone else is going to use it. (If I decide I don't like a yarn--can't figure out what to do with it, etc.--I send it to my little sister. She's a fantastic knitter on a tight budget.)

ArtLady1981
01-31-2007, 06:42 AM
Hi Roberta!

I think some of us STASHIES decided that is is OKAY to de-stash by one of two means: either knit it, or give it someone who will knit it!

Donated yarn...we think that is a worthy cause that deserves DOUBLE CREDIT! It is soooo hard to give up yarn...and generously donating it to people who cannot otherwise afford to purchase it...well that is just wonderful!

Our Hats are off to you Roberta! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

I hope you return to this thread and can feel our applause! :happydance:

temergency
01-31-2007, 07:12 AM
I haven't been on the site in a while because I'm trying to finish up projects so I guess I became a STASHIE without knowing it!!! I also have totes of yarn in the shed that I forget about. My DB has told me that I can have 1 basket behind my chair and my grandmothers knitting stand/bag in the house but that's it!!! Of course both are full and I have a tote back full of patterns but I'm trying! I've decided to get to the totes and empty them. My DB's mother has a friend who belongs to a circle of ladies who knit for hospitals, soldiers, safe homes, etc. Most of the yarn in the totes is acrylic which I don't use anymore so it might as well go to a good use and give me room in the shed for my extra purses (next project!!!)

I just bought a spinning wheel and have about 3 lbs of fleece to spin plus another 4 lbs coming. Am I over my head..... :teehee:

I tell DB it could be worse, I could be a barfly or a mall shopper! He just pours another beer and goes out and hangs with our ducks!!!! Oh, and he is making room for the angora rabbit he said I could get!!! :flirt:

Ok, time to go to work....everyone have a great day!

CarmenIbanez
01-31-2007, 12:26 PM
It has to be 100% wool to felt. What about removing the straps all together and grafting on something else?

auburnchick
01-31-2007, 12:30 PM
It has to be 100% wool to felt. What about removing the straps all together and grafting on something else?

What I'll probably do is pull it in on the sides (what Artlady suggested) and remove the straps. I agree that it needs something shorter. The straps have definitely got to be non-stretchy things.

But, I hung it back up in the closet for now. I'm focused on socks at the moment. No more looking at the HUMONGOUS bag! :teehee:

dustinac
01-31-2007, 12:31 PM
Here are some of my FOs...

After knitting my father, FIL, and my dh a pair of socks I will not be doing a pair for men in a loooooooong time... :teehee:

Enterlac Scarf used Patons SWS in Natural Earth.. I used 3 skeins but if I had a store close to me that sold it I would have ran out for one more skein... I haven't blocked it yet... I did add fringe but not sure I'm going to keep it so just posted the photo I had with no fringe...

Now starting a pair of socks for MYSELF :cheering: .. since sock yarn is what I have the most of right now... :rofl:

auburnchick
01-31-2007, 12:36 PM
The scarf is beautiful! I love the colors and the pattern!

GREAT job! :cheering:

Mrs. Columbo
01-31-2007, 12:41 PM
OOOOH WOW WHAT A SCARF!! :cheering:

What is Enterlac? A fellow in our meetup group who also works at a YS, said he was doing a type of scarf that is twisted and knit in the round, I couldn't exactly follow him but he said "you'll be doing one before long!" .. heck I can't even get my BLANKIE off the ground!! Could he have been talking about Enterlac??

Wow, it's beautiful. LOVE the colors. :hug: Great socks too by the way (coming from someone who has no clue about socks but probably could knit and nice long narrow tube)

Toby

dustinac
01-31-2007, 12:48 PM
Thank you very much...

I also wanted to add that everyone's FO look wonderful :cheering: and auburn chick I agree I think if you changed the handle it would work... at wal-mart they did sell all types of purse handles.. I'm sure Joanns or Michaels would too... wal-mart is all I have :pout:

The Scarf is from knitty I had started it a while back but wasn't doing very well with it because I had to keep changing my yarns... I had ordered 2 different colorways of SWS from Joanns and after knitting a hat with the Gernaium I knew what Earth wanted to be my Danica :rofl:
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/PATTdanica.html

Mrs.Columbo, I wonder if he is doing a Mobeius scarf? cause it does have a twist and knit in the round.. this is knit flat but you do turn to create the pattern...