PDA

View Full Version : Help with yarn sub

cookworm
01-23-2007, 01:46 AM
I'd LOVE to make these (http://cache.lionbrand.com:80/patterns/60083A.html?noImages=0) super-cute slippers that use Lion Brand's "Tiffany" yarn (DK weight yarn, 100% nylon [looks and feels like angora according to their site] 24 sts x 32 rows = 4" [10cm] on size 8 [5mm] needles), but I can't find this yarn in a yarn store near me, and I really don't want to order it if I don't have to (I'd rather go to a store and purchase it in person so I can start on them quicker). I'm also a little bit bugged about the price of the yarn cost at probably $12.00 for one pair of baby/toddler-sized slippers.

I saw that Hobby Lobby is having their "Yarn Bee" yarns on sale, and I was wondering if they have a comparable substitute both in gauge and look/feel that anybody might be able to recommend. Because I haven't seen or felt the "Tiffany" yarn in person, it's hard for me to know what kind of yarn I'm supposed to be subbing for.

Also, if I do find a suitable sub in the "Yarn Bee" yarns--and the gauge is the same as "Tiffany"--will it matter that the yarn contents will probably be different (will it knit up differently)? "Tiffany" is 100% nylon; I'm guessing the "Yarn Bee" yarns will be mostly (if not 100%) acrylic.