PDA

View Full Version : Ribbon

niffer
01-23-2007, 09:41 AM
I'm half way through my baby shawl and I say to myself "I'd better get to buying that ribbon thats needed, I'll get pink and blue, just in case"

So I toddle off to the pattern, it tells me to get 4metres of 1cm wide ribbon.

Next, I start a-googlin', I search for Ribbon, ribbon shop, ribbon 1cm wide, ribbon store... and many more.

I find thousands of resources for buying ribbon but not one that has a 1cm wide pink or blue that is washable (not hand died).

Is there a ribbon shortage? Something to do with the weather?

Or am I looking in the wrong place?

projectgal
01-23-2007, 04:57 PM
Have you tried here?

http://www.mjtrim.com/index.aspx
But I don't know if it will be worth it with the shipping costs since you only need a little.

I think the problem is with the 1 cm. Would a 1/4 inch work?

I would also try a fabric shop.

brendajos
01-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Yeah that is REALLY narrow ribbon! I don't know how big your eyelets or whatever are but it seems like that would be incredibly tiny to work with.

mrs desert rain
01-23-2007, 05:48 PM
i :heart: this ribbon shop: The Ribbon Jar (http://www.ribbonjar.com/)

the best part is you can buy by the yard. and if she's low on something you need, she can get it in a hurry (at least, in my experience).

katie09
01-23-2007, 06:01 PM
Actually, it's not all that narrow. 1cm is 3/8 inches. So, you might have better luck searching for 3/8 inch ribbon.

And I don't know what type of ribbon you want (satin, grosgrain, etc.) but I found this place that has 3/8" grosgrain ribbon by the yard and they ship internationally. :shrug:
http://www.croppinparadise.com/fibers-ribbon-grosgrain-ribbon-yard-c-37_1624.html

brendajos
01-23-2007, 06:17 PM
It is really narrow when you are ridiculous like me and want all ribbons to be no less than 4 inches wide! :whistle: :teehee:

(okay that's a bit of hyperbole but I do love me some wide ribbon...lol)

aylaanne
01-23-2007, 06:21 PM
I would just go to JoAnns and search their ribbon racks. Michaels sells some ribbon by the yard, too.

niffer
01-24-2007, 08:52 AM
I'm in the UK, we don't have Michaels or Joannes :pout:

There is nowhere within a short drive that I can find to get anything other than bridal ribbon.

I like some of those links though. I think I'll for the 3/8". I'll probably get a few different ribbons for a few future projects to make the postal costs more worth while too.

thanks for all the help!

:cheering: :hug: :hug:

AmandaC
01-24-2007, 10:01 AM
I'm in the UK, we don't have Michaels or Joannes :pout:

There is nowhere within a short drive that I can find to get anything other than bridal ribbon.

I like some of those links though. I think I'll for the 3/8". I'll probably get a few different ribbons for a few future projects to make the postal costs more worth while too.

thanks for all the help!

:cheering: :hug: :hug:

Do you have a John Lewis near you? If you get really stuck I can go and look in a shop here in Windsor for you (Daniels), I've bought ribbon from them before and they would probably have blue & pink. Let me know and I will go tomorrow lunchtime. :thumbsup:

letah75
01-24-2007, 08:26 PM
Do you have a John Lewis near you? If you get really stuck I can go and look in a shop here in Windsor for you (Daniels), I've bought ribbon from them before and they would probably have blue & pink. Let me know and I will go tomorrow lunchtime. :thumbsup:

WOW! This really is the nicest forum I've ever had the privilige of being a part of. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Sigh, why can't knitters run the world? Everyone would have sweaters, blankets, and socks. There would be rivers of wool and alpaca, kids would doubleduch with hand made jump ropes made of cotton or hemp.

The only problems would be sometimes you'd see a "YOU KNIT WHATTT?" sweater, poncho or hat on someone. But we'd all say, WOW, the time that went into that.

brendajos
01-24-2007, 08:28 PM
yup...hard to do battle with someone when you have to finish your row first!