PDA

View Full Version : Knitting on the brain

Knitting_Guy
01-23-2007, 11:24 PM
I went out to a tavern tonight to have a few brews and socialize a bit. I was talking with this young guy who was telling me about his band. He was wearing this really long black scarf that appeared to be all garter stitch. As he was talking all I could do was check out the knitting in the scarf.

Same when talking to this very nice woman. She had on a sweater that looked to me to be moss stitch. I spent more time checking out the stitches than her. :wall:

Serious knitting brain going on here.

Ingrid
01-23-2007, 11:25 PM
:psst: We've hooked another one, folks!

nuknitter
01-23-2007, 11:39 PM
Is that the same as watching movies/TV shows JUST for checking out the knitwear?? Many a time I have to tell myself to REALLY focus on the story, or the movie's a total loss.

At home, I've got a notepad and pen by my chair, to jot/sketch down ideas!!

Conclusion: it ain't just you (or me, Thank God!) :woot:

brendajos
01-23-2007, 11:50 PM
*ahem*...might want to be careful of how intently you are staring a girl's sweater to check the "stitch pattern"....she will never believe you! :teehee: :teehee: :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
01-23-2007, 11:55 PM
*ahem*...might want to be careful of how intently you are staring a girl's sweater to check the "stitch pattern"....she will never believe you! :teehee: :teehee: :teehee:

:roflhard:

DragonTush
01-24-2007, 12:06 AM
LOL I once followed a guy around the grocery store because I wanted to figure out his scarf pattern. It was a very cool cable and I had never tried them before so I kept thinking if I could memorize what it looked like, I might....just might...find a pattern similar online.

:oops: I finally had to tell him why I was staring so intently at him....he kept looking at me strangely out of the corner of his eye. I don't think he believed me though. He hightailed it out of there rather quickly after that.

The Spider
01-24-2007, 05:17 AM
I remember talking to a woman in a professional setting once, and she was wearing a really interesting knit jacket. I guess my staring kinda weirded her out, because once she caught me, she pulled it closed tighter around the cleavage area. How could I possibly convince her that I was staring at her jacket and not at her... assets? I just asked her if it was hand knit and hoped she got the clue.

Knitting_Guy
01-24-2007, 10:31 AM
Yeah just staring could be easily misconstrued. Asking some questions is the way to go.

So far anyone I have talked with regarding knitting has shown interest in the topic even if they don't knit themselves and surprisingly often don't seem the least bit surprised by a guy knitting.

Occasionally someone finds it strange, but that's a result of their own mental prejudices so maybe they need a little surprising anyway.

candicane
01-24-2007, 10:33 AM
I am glad I am not the only one who stares and tries to figure out how someone's sweater, scarf, etc was constructed. We must truly be obsessed.

Since I am usually knitting while watching TV, while hubby is driving, etc. it has almost taken over my other obsession of "Name that Font." (The hazzard of being a graphic designer.)

candice

dustinac
01-24-2007, 10:38 AM
:rofl: Watching Gilmore Girls last night I had to rewind so I could catch what they were saying.. I was to busy trying to figure out Lorelai's sweater...

hunterjenn
01-24-2007, 12:15 PM
it has almost taken over my other obsession of "Name that Font." (The hazzard of being a graphic designer.)

LOL--I do that too! I was just driving my family bonkers the other day talking about how I'm so sick of seeing Papyrus everywhere... :rofl:

candicane
01-24-2007, 12:23 PM
it has almost taken over my other obsession of "Name that Font." (The hazzard of being a graphic designer.)

LOL--I do that too! I was just driving my family bonkers the other day talking about how I'm so sick of seeing Papyrus everywhere... :rofl:

That is hilarious! I just got a mailing yesterday from my LYS and the WHOLE THING was in Papyrus.

candice

hunterjenn
01-24-2007, 01:08 PM

That is hilarious! I just got a mailing yesterday from my LYS and the WHOLE THING was in Papyrus.

candice :roflhard: :roflhard:

letah75
01-24-2007, 01:44 PM
I have to add my two cents.

Until I started knitting, I never realized how many things are knit. In fact, every time I have taught someone the basic knit/purl stitch, and we talk about ribbing, I have looked at them, and been able to point out something they are wearing that is knit/purled.

Cuffs of sweaters, socks, etc. And I've been able to point out garter/stockinette.

I do think however, most people here have a little more self control than I do. I constantly am going up to co-workers (and yes sometimes strangers) and saying "can I touch your sweater for a minute", so I can pull it out a little and see the stitching, or the seaming.

I've gotten so bad that when I'm talking to co-workers/neighbors/friends, and I kind of get that glazed over look. They know the only way to pull me out of it is to extend an arm so I can look at their seams/cables/ribs/yo's etc. Then once I do that, like magic I'm back.

HamburgKnitter
01-24-2007, 01:49 PM
This is a very funny thread! :teehee:

hunterjenn
01-24-2007, 06:17 PM
They know the only way to pull me out of it is to extend an arm so I can look at their seams/cables/ribs/yo's etc. Then once I do that, like magic I'm back.

:teehee: :rofl:

nadja la claire
01-24-2007, 06:51 PM
I went out to a tavern tonight to have a few brews and socialize a bit. I was talking with this young guy who was telling me about his band. He was wearing this really long black scarf that appeared to be all garter stitch. As he was talking all I could do was check out the knitting in the scarf.

Same when talking to this very nice woman. She had on a sweater that looked to me to be moss stitch. I spent more time checking out the stitches than her. :wall:

Serious knitting brain going on here.

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I do this all the time. It's really embarrassing when I get caught staring and I have to explain myself. :teehee:

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

madametj
01-24-2007, 08:17 PM
my other obsession of "Name that Font."

ha, i'm no graphic designer, but i know sometimes out of no where i'm just like "Hey, thats Monotype Corsiva!"

(or Curlz MT, Edwerdian Script, Alba, Comic San MS........ :doh: )

MarchingTwinkie3
01-24-2007, 08:20 PM

ha, i'm no graphic designer, but i know sometimes out of no where i'm just like "Hey, thats Monotype Corsiva!"

I think Comic Sans MS is the only one I can ever recognise. :oops:

brendajos
01-24-2007, 08:24 PM

I think Comic Sans MS is the only one I can ever recognise. :oops:

That's because people use it and think that they are being fancy because they aren't using Arial!

Liliyarn
01-25-2007, 03:47 AM
I am not shy, especially about knitting...

Do what I do:
Walk up to perfect stranger and say, "Can I check out your knits?" "Mind if I feel your knit?"

zkimom
01-25-2007, 07:35 AM
I am not shy, especially about knitting...

Do what I do:
Walk up to perfect stranger and say, "Can I check out your knits?" "Mind if I feel your knit?"

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I wish I could be a fly on the wall when Mason saunters up to a woman in a bar and says: "Mind if I fondle your sweater?"

:teehee:

Susan

letah75
01-25-2007, 10:45 AM
I wish I could be a fly on the wall when Mason saunters up to a woman in a bar and says: "Mind if I fondle your sweater?"

:roflhard: :rofl: :roflhard: :rofl: :roflhard: :rofl:

Knitting_Guy
01-25-2007, 01:04 PM
Sounds like the perfect pick up line to me :roflhard:

wandaweberg
01-25-2007, 01:32 PM
I too find myself staring at items people are wearing that are knit. I live in Minnesota so right now am seeing a lot of people wearing scarves in the elevators going up to work. So I explain my stares and ask if they knit the item. It’s about a 50/50 toss up as to the answer being “yes” or “heavens no - I could never do something like this.” (and we know, of course they could). :)

I’m a “texture kinda gal” is how I explain myself to my friends while shopping - because I have to TOUCH everything.

Yvonne
01-25-2007, 01:35 PM
I was watching Mythbusters last night, and instead of following the experiment I was wondering if that bolero Carrie had on was handknit. Same for the wristwarmers she wore later. Sigh.

hunterjenn
01-25-2007, 03:21 PM
I was watching Mythbusters last night, and instead of following the experiment I was wondering if that bolero Carrie had on was handknit. Same for the wristwarmers she wore later. Sigh. :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: Me too!! I loved that little bolero (I didn't realize that's what it's called)! :D

landolphe
01-25-2007, 03:27 PM
I've been trying to contact host/chef Sandra Lee of the Food Channel to find out if the patterns are available for the beautiful white sweaters she wore on her shows over the Holidays. No luck so far, but I remain committed! Film at eleven.

Well, Mason, you have a great new converstaional ice-breaker. :teehee:

Cheers,

jsauer
01-25-2007, 03:37 PM

candice :roflhard: :roflhard:

About 5-6 years ago I was in LURV with papyrus. Now ...not so much - would someone just give me a nice dark, black, bold pen stroke?

gingergal4l8r
01-25-2007, 05:37 PM
Mason, this might interest you..... http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25284

I posted something just for you, enjoy.

The girls have a lot to say about it :teehee:

landolphe
01-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Check out Judith Sutliff's "Abelard" and "Troubadour" fonts (PS & TT).

Lando

Sissy
01-25-2007, 06:36 PM
:teehee: Mason,
You are a very funny guy..........I enjoy any message you are in.By the way how is the sock coming along? Sissy

zkimom
01-25-2007, 06:47 PM
Check out Judith Sutliff's "Abelard" and "Troubadour" fonts (PS & TT).

Lando

:tap: Listen you guys who are trying to make this thread about fonts . . . .

Fonts have nothing to do with this. :fingerwag:

This is all about obsessions and fondling knitwear.

And maybe Mason getting a date in the process!

:teehee:

hunterjenn
01-25-2007, 07:01 PM
:tap: Listen you guys who are trying to make this thread about fonts . . . . Fonts have nothing to do with this. :fingerwag: This is all about obsessions and fondling knitwear. And maybe Mason getting a date in the process! :teehee:

:teehee: Yeah, but just think how many dates he could get with all this newfound knowledge of fonts!! :rofl: Sorry--I think I started it. Didn't mean to steal the thread. I am glad to hear everyone's just as obsessive as I am, though, and about more than one topic! :rofl:

sig
01-26-2007, 07:44 AM
Soo true! a couple of weeks ago, my boyfriend and I were looking for a pattern for my first sweater (it´s for him). And we ended staring at everybody´s sweaters! Finally we had to tell people what we were looking for... all our friends said that we are definetly desperate in love!! hehehe, of course its true! luckely they don´t know how much money we spend on the yarn... :muah:

Knitting_Guy
01-26-2007, 12:56 PM
:teehee: Mason,
You are a very funny guy..........I enjoy any message you are in.By the way how is the sock coming along? Sissy

Thanks Sissy. I find a little humor makes life just a little easier to take most days.

I abandoned the sock until I can get the proper yarn and needle size combination. The worsted was just too bulky for those tiny little needles.