PDA

View Full Version : Chunky yarn recs?

knitqueen
01-24-2007, 04:30 PM
I bought the pattern for the easy v-neck glampyre pattern that earthchick posted about here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25075).

She said that the yarn used in the pattern (Cascade Pastazza) is a heavy worsted, and that she used a chunky yarn to get the stitch gauge (14sts/4").

I need help though! I don't have access to a whole lot of yarn locally, and very rarely do I work with anything thicker than a regular worsted. I don't even know where to start. I reallly prefer machine washable and my budget is rather limited.

Any suggestions??

P.S. I am not opposed to acrylic blends.

sara_jayne
01-24-2007, 04:34 PM
Encore does have a chunky version. I'm using it to knit Starsky right now. I got it from discountyarnsales.com (I had to wait 8 weeks :pout:) but it was inexpensive and washable.

I do hate knitting with the yarn (it is splitty on my Options) but it is worth it for the price and being able to wash it.

aineepooh1
01-24-2007, 05:23 PM
Walmart has bernat softee (1.67$) in my area for 3.5oz. It is a chunky weight yarn (sz5) machine wash/dry and gets softer (and larger :?? ) with use~

knitqueen
01-24-2007, 05:32 PM
Has anyone used Lion Brand Wool-Ease Chunky?? Is it soft & non-itchy??

betsylynn
01-24-2007, 05:59 PM
no, lion brand wool-ease is NOT soft and non-itchy. i was just checking it out today and it was quite scratchy. i too am looking for a good chunky for an older pattern. the yarn used is no longer available. if i find anything nice, i'll let you know, but i had little luck on ramwools, nbyarns, and even yarn.com.

knitqueen
01-24-2007, 06:03 PM
I have used Bernat Softee Chunky for a child's poncho, and it was quite nice actually, but for myself I was hoping for something a little nicer. :shrug:

aineepooh1
01-24-2007, 08:32 PM
IMHO Lion brand woolease chunky was not scratchy too me~! It knitted up just fine and my undestanding is that it will felt it you want to use it for felting.~!

SandraEllen
01-25-2007, 10:15 AM
IMHO Lion brand woolease chunky was not scratchy too me~! It knitted up just fine and my undestanding is that it will felt it you want to use it for felting.~!

umm... i wouldn't count on being able to felt it. It's 80% acrylic.

auburnchick
01-25-2007, 10:51 AM
Has anyone used Lion Brand Wool-Ease Chunky?? Is it soft & non-itchy??

I used this yarn for my ugly sweater bag (ugly because it turned out too big despite my gauge check).

The yarn was soft and warm. Trust me...I used five skeins of that stuff, and the purse was huge to tote around as I was working on it. It was constantly in contact with my skin. It felt fine to me.

loveswildflowers
01-25-2007, 11:38 AM
I am really enjoying some Patons Shetland Chunky that I bought at Michael's a couple of weeks ago. It is a wool and acrylic blend that is washable. Maybe it might work? I think it feels very soft and I like it a lot. Others may be able to voice their opinions and give you more info.

I wish I could remember what I paid for it. Sorry I'm not much help on that end. But, I recall thinking that I was getting a lot of yardage per skein for a decent price IMHO.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

knitqueen
01-25-2007, 08:28 PM
I actually ended up going with the Patons Shetland Chunky (http://yarnforward.com/shetland.html) in the colour 'earthy brown'.

Even got it on sale!! :cheering: :cheering:

PCwombat
01-26-2007, 01:11 AM
I'm using Wool Ease chunky for some gloves right now, and it's soft and warm. And, I like how it knits up.