PDA

View Full Version : First FO!

Jessica Cobb
01-28-2007, 12:41 AM
Hi! I'm sort of new, I've posted a couple of times to ask for some help because I'm a newbie knitter. I just finished my first project, and I'd like to think it turned out pretty well. There a few places on the scarf that are a little funky, but practice makes perfect!

I'm in awe of some of the things you experienced knitters make!

feministmama
01-28-2007, 12:48 AM
How pretty!! Is that touch of whimsy scarf?

Jessica Cobb
01-28-2007, 12:56 AM
Actually I got it from the knitty breast cancer awareness mini-issue found here - http://www.knitty.com/issuefall04/knittyF04surp.pdf

It does resemble that scarf though!

Mer
01-28-2007, 01:53 AM
Great job! That's very impressive for your first project too--lace and everything! Can't wait to see what you make next. :)

Jan in CA
01-28-2007, 02:36 AM
That is really pretty!

Aquaria
01-28-2007, 02:52 AM
:passedout: Woooooow! How did u do that beeeautiful pattern? :shock:
I absolutely love it! :inlove:
I wonder how long it's gonna be before I actually get to be able knit something that good :pout:

Jessica Cobb
01-28-2007, 03:08 AM
I wonder how long it's gonna be before I actually get to be able knit something that good :pout:

When I first looked at the pattern I was thinking "ummm yeah right I could never do that!". I had only been knitting for a few weeks, but I decided to do it anyway because I just thought it was too cute, and anything in the pattern instructions that I didn't know how to do I just looked up in the handy glossary here on knitting help. It was soo easy, I know you can do it!

madametj
01-28-2007, 03:12 AM
that looks soo fun! definetly gonna have to add it to my to-knit list! :mrgreen:

Jillle
01-28-2007, 03:34 AM
Wow, you are brave. That is an ambitious first project and it turned out beautifully. I love the hearts. :heart:

Aquaria
01-28-2007, 03:56 AM

When I first looked at the pattern I was thinking "ummm yeah right I could never do that!". I had only been knitting for a few weeks, but I decided to do it anyway because I just thought it was too cute, and anything in the pattern instructions that I didn't know how to do I just looked up in the handy glossary here on knitting help. It was soo easy, I know you can do it!

Thanks for the encouragement Jessica! :hug: I'll maybe try that one day when I have my spare. :cheering:

I'd say that you are really a great knitter though, first time of knitting and ALREADY you can knit something that good! :)

Virtuella
01-28-2007, 04:11 AM
Beautiful scarf, I love the colour!

loveswildflowers
01-28-2007, 07:45 AM
gorgeous scarf! and amazing first project! :cheering:

sara_jayne
01-28-2007, 10:19 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: Great job, Jess!!! You did it!!!!

JoeE
01-28-2007, 03:09 PM
I think it's beautiful! It looks to me like you bit off a lot for a first project, but clearly you were ready for it.

Way to go.

madametj
01-28-2007, 03:10 PM
did you use lifelines? if so, where did you put them?

Sarahc409
01-28-2007, 03:11 PM
you did a great job! congratulations on your first project :cheering:

Jessica Cobb
01-28-2007, 06:00 PM
did you use lifelines? if so, where did you put them?

I didn't use one. Actually, I didn't know what a lifeline was until yesterday haha. I just did half of the scarf one day, put it on a stitch holder, did another half the next day, and used kitchener stitch to put the two together. I wanted to do that so it would be symmetrical (as was suggested in the pattern), so the hearts wouldn't be upside down on one side, and right side up on another. I had trouble at first, ending up with extra stitches but with help from some of the nice people here I figured out what I was doing wrong and finished!

Jessica Cobb
01-28-2007, 06:03 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: Great job, Jess!!! You did it!!!!

Thank you so much for your help! :hug:

bobi1218
01-29-2007, 11:19 PM
Great job!! I want to make that scarf too :)

luv2knit
01-30-2007, 01:47 AM
:cheering:

What a terrific first project! I love hearts and I may just have to make one of those myself!

want2knit
01-30-2007, 09:26 AM
ooh, a Valentine's scarf....very pretty. I think this might become a knit along, no?

Very nice for your 1st project!!

mwedzi
01-30-2007, 09:31 AM
Wow, first project and in 2 days no less! :notworthy:

Jeep_Girl
01-30-2007, 10:19 AM
That is really pretty!

Jillle
01-30-2007, 10:56 AM
I was surprised that in the pattern "super bulky" yarn is used. What type of yarn did you use? I also think this would be a great Valentine's Day KAL!

aineepooh1
01-30-2007, 11:29 AM
Wow~! :happydance:

Jessica Cobb
01-30-2007, 05:27 PM
I was surprised that in the pattern "super bulky" yarn is used. What type of yarn did you use? I also think this would be a great Valentine's Day KAL!

I was surprised by this too. I just used some cheap Lion Brand Jiffy that my boyfriend had bought me as a starter. I don't have much of a stash considering I've only been knitting for about a month. Now I wish I would have used something nicer, but it's ok! It turned out just fine with a yarn that size.

Jessica Cobb
01-30-2007, 05:27 PM
You guys are just the nicest people in the world. Thank you so much for all of your feedback! :hug:

landolphe
01-30-2007, 07:38 PM
Hi Jessica,

That's is one impressive first project! :happydance: I have been eager to use that stitch pattern in something or other.

Serious congrats are in order for you, chere! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

rorygilmore
01-30-2007, 08:38 PM
Wow that is great! I might have to try that pattern, but I have a problem with finishing scraves.

Jillle
02-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Jessica,
You inspired me to make the scarf too! :muah:
I don't think I could have done it for my first project, but I've been knitting for a year...sooo I tried it!
Also, I started a Heart Scarf KAL if any wants to join. :happydance:

Mariblue
02-03-2007, 06:21 PM
Hey, that is a really great scarf! You did a great job.
Mariblue

Cristy
02-06-2007, 04:44 PM
very pretty! I think that's awesome for a first FO!!!

rorygilmore
02-07-2007, 12:26 PM
I'm going to start working on this scarf today!

Sanibelle
02-14-2007, 02:29 PM
I am so glad you posted this.... I downloaded the pattern and made them for my assistants for Valentine's Day. I gave them to them this morning and they loved them! I made them in Cascade chunky alpaca in a dark pink color - they are so soft.

Thanks again for posting - I would never have seen this otherwise. Oh and by the way - I loved your scarf - it turned out great - I cannot beleive that was your first project!

Lynn

nadja la claire
02-14-2007, 02:48 PM
1st project.....in less than 2 days? :notworthy: :shock: :noway: :eyes: :thud: I made a belt in that pattern but it wasn't my 1st project and because I kept putting it down, it took my a lot longer than 2 day. Beautiful work, your very talented.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

DreamWeaver
02-14-2007, 10:50 PM
Are you sure that's your first project? Maybe you had been knitting for ten years, but then sufferd from long term memeory disorder and forgot all the other projects you knit? Or maybe you just have mad knitting skills... either way, it rocks! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: