PDA

View Full Version : Llama Sweater

landolphe
01-30-2007, 05:41 PM
Well, the temperature in South Florida plunged to 50 degrees last night, and the locals were out in force in full-dress Arctic expedition gear. I really did see folks wearing 3 layers of sweaters, gloves, and balaklavas. :??:

As for me, realizing that this year's winter had fallen on a Monday, I took the opportunity to wear one of my way-too-many heavy sweaters. :happydance:

I finished this one around Thanksgiving and had not worn it, so I was willing to be kinda sticky and sweaty just to show it off. It's hand spun (me), hand-dyed (not me), llama (raised by me) wool. Asphixiatingly warm at ambient temperatures above -20 F.

Lando

Jan in CA
01-30-2007, 06:32 PM
It's a gorgeous sweater! :cheering:

mwedzi
01-30-2007, 06:53 PM
Well, the temperature in South Florida plunged to 50 degrees last night, and the locals were out in force in full-dress Arctic expedition gear. I really did see folks wearing 3 layers of sweaters, gloves, and balaklavas. :??:

As for me, realizing that this year's winter had fallen on a Monday, I took the opportunity to wear one of my way-too-many heavy sweaters. :happydance:

I finished this one around Thanksgiving and had not worn it, so I was willing to be kinda sticky and sweaty just to show it off. It's hand spun (me), hand-dyed (not me), llama (raised by me) wool. Asphixiatingly warm at ambient temperatures above -20 F.

Lando
:roflhard: thanks for the laughs. the sweater, of course, is beautiful, and a very impressive display of craftswomanship from start to finish.

Jan in CA
01-30-2007, 07:03 PM

Lando
:roflhard: thanks for the laughs. the sweater, of course, is beautiful, and a very impressive display of craftswomanship from start to finish.

In this case craftsMANship is appropriate I believe. ;)

landolphe
01-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Hi Jan,

Fuh shame, chere! Ain't yoo knowed dat duh right woid iz craftsperson?

Oh oh, my teckels are starting to picket, accusing me of being a speciesist. Mea culpa. It of course should be craftsbeing to be really PC.

Lando :teehee:

Jan in CA
01-30-2007, 07:24 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I'd love to see the crafts your Teckels have created...I think. :shifty:

Mulderknitter
01-30-2007, 07:25 PM
umm... did I read that right? Plunged to 50 degrees? :passedout: I swear if it were even CLOSE to 50 right now I would go out in a hula skirt :hot:
it's below zero every day here so far this week and I just realized my dh programmed the thermostat WRONG. it was supposed to turn ON when I got home, NOT OFF! :!!!:
if it's 62 in my house, and you're saying the temp plunged to 50, where does that leave my house???? :doh:

landolphe
01-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Jan,

My teckels have been heavily influenced by Jacques Derrida and French deconstructionism. They therefore tend to unknit FO's rather than knit them. It works out more or less: I knit; they unravel. :teehee:
Lando

landolphe
01-30-2007, 07:35 PM
If it goes below 50 degrees in South Florida, everything shuts down for at least two days (seriously). I expect that we have lost a good number of folks to frostbite and exposure.

Lando

Jan in CA
01-30-2007, 07:49 PM
I live in southern California and it's gotten down in the low 30's several nights and for us that is freezing!! I need sweater if it's under 75. :teehee: Below zero does not compute.. :zombie:

Our kitten would attempt the unraveling thing, but I put my stuff away when I'm not knitting. It's a pain, but :shrug:

Ingrid
01-30-2007, 07:56 PM
Love the sweater--the craftcreatureship is impeccible, and the color is wonderful. Glad it was frigid enough for you to wear it. :?

sara_jayne
01-30-2007, 08:17 PM
Fabulous job!!!

gypsygirl
01-30-2007, 09:56 PM
Great, comfy-looking sweater!

I do that too, live in a climate that rarely needs something that warm, but just can't resist knitting it anyway. :)

Mama Bear
01-31-2007, 07:10 AM
It's hard to say which I like better, the beautiful sweater or your fun writing style!

Thanks for the smiles.

Mama Bear

Silver
01-31-2007, 12:17 PM
Lando!! It's fabulous! Raised, handspun AND handknit? And to top it off, you got to wear it?? You've gone and sparked full blown envy in me! :oops: It's really, really wonderful. I sure hope you're beaming with pride! Maybe you'll get to wear it again this year!

I too got to wear a sweater this winter. Although it being a weekday, I didn't get to go out, so I opened all the windows and pretended I was up north. The family wasn't too happy, but I looked STUNNING.
:cheering:

Braden
02-04-2007, 04:43 PM
Do you have the pattern? That's brioche stitch, isn't it?

luv2knit
02-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Oh how very pretty! :cheering:

Jaxhil
02-05-2007, 12:10 PM
:muah: oooh I love it! Gorgeous sweater-what is that stitch?

And ROFLMAO on the Floridians weather perception-being from South TX I can relate :teehee:

Cristy
02-06-2007, 04:36 PM
awesome! I love it and know what you mean about FL--my inlaws are snow birds and I think it's hilarious to see them packing up their sweaters for those 50 degree nights in the keys....LOL!