PDA

View Full Version : Want a Fun Sweater

Birdy
01-31-2007, 12:04 PM
One of the things that made me decide I was a knitter was that I connected with another knitter who mailed me yarn from her stash.

I decided that put me over the top :roflhard:

Anyhow... I want a pattern to knit a sweater. She sent me one but it is too... old for me.

Specs: I'm 30 y/o, mom of two... so some thing classy but still a wee bit spicy... Wicked looked good, but I am 6 feet tall, and patterns like that make me feel very conspicuous...

This is the best wool I have: 12 skeins of DK with Wool it says on the label:
31 rows, 22 sts to 10 x 10 cm tension, needle size US 4- 6, (for me, 3 1/2 mm to 4 mm) Aprox 150 metres.

I am having a lot of anxiety with this wool. It was shipped over from England and I don't want to mess it up! :oops:

It is a pale Robin's Egg blue... very pretty and soft!

And unfortuneately, I don't have time to go hunting, I've already ate up my puter time this morning!

candicane
01-31-2007, 01:42 PM
What about the Wicked would make you feel conspicuous? Do you want a cardigan or pullover?

Candice

Birdy
01-31-2007, 03:22 PM
The neckline... I am a broad person with football type shoulders, so I would feel like the boat neck line would really stand out...

I think pull-over is my instinct... but cardigans are practical... I just don't know...

This wool is starting to "haunt" me :lol: I think I am aiming for too much perfection or something.

I have not cable knitted yet, but that doesn't really worry me too much...

I was looking at it today and thought vest or lacey...

Maybe Eiffel from Knitty? Would that work with DK weight yarns?

Jan in CA
01-31-2007, 04:20 PM
See if one of these might work for you. I made the pullover that is on the front page and I have a cardigan pattern I haven't made yet. I like the patterns, easy and well written.

http://www.knittingpureandsimple.com

ETA..I just realized you said "fun" sweater. Not sure those are fun. :shrug:

Compulsive
01-31-2007, 04:58 PM
What about the patterns featured at Knit and Tonic (http://knitandtonic.typepad.com/knitandtonic/2005/12/the_somewhat_co.html[/url)? I'm older than you, and those sweaters appeal to me. You can alter the V or cowl necks to show less skin.

I'm also broad through the shoulders and casted on for the Wicked sweater--by bringing attention to my wide shoulders, Wicked will make my waist appear slimmer, and give me more of an hour-glass shape.

\ /
/ \

Birdy
01-31-2007, 08:03 PM
I love the patterns on Knit and Tonic for other projects...

:teehee: I think I am looking for the grail here! I'm going to keep on searching.

IN the meantime, I need to finish my brother's other slipper, and my mother's sweater. The sweater knits up fast, I can do part of it a night. But I am feeling very crappy and (here's how you know I am not feeling well at all) I don't feel like knitting today!

Birdy
01-31-2007, 08:09 PM
http://knitandtonic.typepad.com/knitandtonic/2005/09/the_notsoshrunk.html

I think this is getting there. It's the right gauge as the wool, and would look good with various items in my closet.

Do you think it would look weird if I extended the body of it a fair bit? I always run into the issue that things end up about 2 inches too high. And I would have to lengthen it in the chest area too, so my 12 skeins would likely be the just right amount...