PDA

View Full Version : Valentine "Heart" KAL

Jillle
01-31-2007, 04:32 PM
I love the "Heart" :heart: scarf from Knitty. This would be a perfect Valentine's Day KAL. Anyone interested? (Can you feel the love?) http://www.knitty.com/issuefall04/knittyF04surp.pdf (Edit: Go to Page 7.)

Jan in CA
01-31-2007, 04:37 PM
It looks like it has a disease to me. :shrug: :teehee:

Jillle
01-31-2007, 04:40 PM
:rofl: :rofl: Jan!!!!
Scroll down until you reach the heart scarf. The first is the "Boobie" scarf! Don't you want a scarf with boobies all over it! :roflhard:

feminine_earth
01-31-2007, 05:12 PM
OMG! I just almost died! I love the "What's that all over your scarf?" "Why, they're breasts! Have you done your breast self-exam this month?" :roflhard:

Kinda makes me want to make one though. Just to see people squirm. :twisted:

Mrs. D.
02-01-2007, 02:38 PM
OMG, I thought is was just me when I looked at the initial scarf and thought ugghhh. Funny. However, the heart one is nice and I think I will join you. I do have a number of other WIPs so I don't know if this will be done by Valentines day but I will be working on it.

Jan in CA
02-01-2007, 03:32 PM
:rofl: :rofl: Jan!!!!
Scroll down until you reach the heart scarf. The first is the "Boobie" scarf! Don't you want a scarf with boobies all over it! :roflhard:

:passedout: Okay I see the cute heart one now! :doh: I have a few too many things on my to do list right now, but I will keep this pattern. And NO, I do not want a boobie scarf! :teehee:

madametj
02-01-2007, 06:35 PM
OMG, I thought is was just me when I looked at the initial scarf and thought ugghhh. Funny. However, the heart one is nice and I think I will join you. I do have a number of other WIPs so I don't know if this will be done by Valentines day but I will be working on it.

same for me. wanna join, but i've got lotsa WIPs.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-01-2007, 10:15 PM
ooo and wouldn't it look nice in a glorious purple????

Jillle
02-01-2007, 10:59 PM
Funny you say that...I am making it in Cashmerino Superchunky in a beautiful plum wine color!!!
Pics soon... :happydance:

shelleyj3
02-02-2007, 11:15 AM
I'm making it in a true red for my mom for valentine's day. I think she'll love it!

Shelley

bobi1218
02-02-2007, 10:25 PM
This scarf has been on my to knit list for a while now... I don't think I'll get to it before V-day, but hopefully soon. I can't wait to see pics of everyone's scarves!!

Jillle
02-03-2007, 03:23 PM
I finished! Pretty quick knit. I made it in two halves and then attached them with three needle bind off, like the pattern suggests.
I'm going to give this to my friend for her 50th birthday. I hope she :heart: it!
Now I'ld like to make one for me!

Quiltlady
02-03-2007, 03:34 PM
I agree...the boob scarf is...not for me but the heart one sure is!! Thanks for sharing it. :cheering:

madametj
02-04-2007, 08:42 PM
I finished! Pretty quick knit. I made it in two halves and then attached them with three needle bind off, like the pattern suggests.
I'm going to give this to my friend for her 50th birthday. I hope she :heart: it!
Now I'ld like to make one for me!

gorgeous :heart: . i can't wait to get started on mine, i think i'll make my purple too, so i can join 2 KALs at once :cheering:

KathyinCali
02-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Question on the pattern...It says work 10 rows (10 times) for the pattern but I only see nine rows? What a beautiful scarf. Thanks for posting it!

Jillle
02-05-2007, 07:36 PM
Kathy-
The tenth row is the same as all of the wrong side rows. (Look at the pattern where it says "Row 2 and all WS rows: K2, p to the last two sts, k2".) Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!

KathyinCali
02-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Oh I see. Thanks!

bobi1218
02-07-2007, 05:50 PM
Ok, I lied and said I wasn't going to do this one right now. But then I ordered the yarn for it anyway :) So I'll start once I get the yarn (Knit Picks Sierra in Wild Rose)

Jillle
02-07-2007, 10:36 PM
:cheering: Yay, Robyn! I'm going to knit another one too. The first one was a gift and now I want one for me!

Mrs. D.
02-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Help! I am having trouble with the very first row. My yo looks odd to me. I am not sure if I am taking the yarn in the right direction when I "throw". I do the k3 then I yo using the same "throw" motion I do for the knit stitch. Is that right? My problem is when I get to the next row, my yo seems very large to me. Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Jillle
02-08-2007, 12:39 PM
Mrs. D-
Sounds like you are doing it right. The yo does go in the same direction as the knit. It looks odd at first, but that's what creates the open work in the pattern. Trust the pattern, do ten rows to try it out. You'll be able to see then if you are doing it right. Let me know! (I always refer to Amy's videos if I'm not sure I'm doing a stitch right.)

Mrs. D.
02-08-2007, 12:41 PM
Thanks Jillie. I will post a pic when I get 10 rows done and see what you think.

GennyLynn1962
02-09-2007, 10:52 AM
I love the heart scarf, I have printed out the pattern. I just realized a couple of days ago that I don't own a scarf :?? (I don't know how that happend). This one is perfect!!

Thanks for sharing!

Jillle
02-09-2007, 11:39 AM
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:52 am Post subject:
I love the heart scarf, I have printed out the pattern. I just realized a couple of days ago that I don't own a scarf Scratching Head (I don't know how that happend). This one is perfect!!
I know how that happened! You are probably knitting for everyone else (I looked at your sig :teehee: ) and not for yourself! :doh:
I am too. So, that is why I knit one heart scarf for my friend and now this one is for me me me me!!! :cheering:

Mrs. D.
02-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Well I have frogged my work on this scarf more times than I can count only to realize that I have the wrong type yarn. I tried with a lighter weight yarn and smaller needles and even tho' the result is the same, I did not like it. So in order to make this scarf, I need to go purchase some yarn. Yarn shopping, YEAH!!!! I got Michaels and Joann's gift cards for my birthday. I got far enough along to know that once you get started, it moves pretty quickly. Hope to have pics to post soon.

kristina
02-21-2007, 09:26 AM
I would like to make this scarf and wonder if you have any good ideas on yarn substitute (since Im not able to find Reynold Blizzard in sweden)?
I tried a yarn I had at home but it didnt look right (100% wool).

Jillle
02-21-2007, 10:22 AM
I would like to make this scarf and wonder if you have any good ideas on yarn substitute (since Im not able to find Reynold Blizzard in sweden)?
I tried a yarn I had at home but it didnt look right (100% wool).

Reynold's Blizzard is a super bulky yarn. I used a bulky yarn (Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Superchunky) and went down a needle size (US 13's). Blizzard is an alpaca blend and Cashmerino is a wool, cashmere blend. So, something soft and thick would be probably be best. As long as you have the right needle size for the wool, I think it will work. Let me know!

Mrs. D.
03-08-2007, 02:52 PM
My FO. Special thanks to Jillie for advice on trusting the pattern. However, I ran into a yarn substitution issue. I did not sub the right yarn so I encountered some curling. After reading and posting on the forum here, I added a crochet border along with some sequins and this is the finished product:

http://www.thecraftdivas.com/gallery/Albums/Album2/Large/IMG_0011.jpg

Jillle
03-08-2007, 05:18 PM
Mrs. D-That is gorgeous! :muah: Way to stick with it. The real credit must go to Ingrid for the "trust the pattern" line. It is sooo true!
My scarf curls too, I used cashmerino (a wool, cashmere blend). I love it though, and wear it all the time.

UofMWolverines03
03-22-2007, 11:05 AM
I know that I'm too late for the KAL but I am new to the forums and would like to try to knit this scarf. I'm a fairly new knitter but I've reviewed the pattern and I feel confident that I can do this project.

My only question is... what type of cast-on did those of you who are finished with the scarf use? The only cast-on method that I know at this point is long-tail cast on, but I'm wondering if that is appropriate for this project since ordinarily it is recommended that you start with a wrong side row after using that cast-on. Thanks in advance for all of your input!

Jillle
03-22-2007, 11:43 AM
I used long-tail cast-on. I didn't know that the first row should be worked WS! I think it looks fine.
What type of yarn did you choose?

UofMWolverines03
03-22-2007, 11:00 PM
I was actually able to find the Reynolds Blizzard yarn, although I bought a slightly different shade of pink than the pattern calls for. I know that I am not beholden to a pattern in order to choose my yarns... but in this case, I just figured "why not?" The scarf is for my sister and she wanted it to be "hot pink" so I am getting as close as I can.

As for the "long-tail cast on" issue... I showed the pattern to my instructor for my "Beginner's Knitting" class tonight and she actually said that long-tail is fine for this project. She told me why... and it made sense to me for a few seconds... but I'd be hard pressed to explain it to someone else!

I can't wait to see how this project goes!

:heart: Hope

Jillle
03-23-2007, 12:36 AM
Can't wait to see a picture when you're done!

Mrs. D.
03-27-2007, 02:14 PM
I used a long tail cast-on.

bobi1218
03-28-2007, 08:19 AM
I've started and frogged this scarf about 3 times, I don't know why I'm having such a hard time with it. The first time I had the bulky/super bulky yarn issue (I'm using a bulky weight yarn, and tried the size 15 needles. Not pretty). The second time I got the urge to knit while the kids were still awake, and was trying to knit with my 10 month old hanging off the end of the needles. The third attempt just didn't look right. I think I just need to dive in and do it, without analyzing it so much.

My LYS is having a pink scarf contest in April, I'd really like to get this one done to enter it. Motivation!!!

Mrs. D.
04-02-2007, 08:57 AM
Robyn,

I had similar issues with frogging also. I did a yarn substitute and did not like the original result. Also I just thought I was doing the yo wrong. Then I post ed and Jillie advised me to "trust the pattern". So I started and just kept going and after I let myself continue, I began to see the pattern take shape and the length progressed pretty quickly. So, stick with it.

UofMWolverines03
06-03-2007, 03:00 PM
I'm still working on this scarf. (Actually, I never really started until today).

On Row 5 of the pattern, when I do my yo, sl1, k1, and then start to pass the slipped stitch over, I find that the yarn from my yarn over is criss crossed over the slipped stitch. What should I do? Should I slip the whole thing over? Thanks, anyone, if you can help.

Hope