PDA

View Full Version : Houston, TX Knitters?

Arielluria
02-03-2007, 07:07 PM
Anyone here from Houston, TX area? I'm N. of Houston, near Conroe. There's a great knitting store in this area. It's called Twisted Yarn and is just E. of I-45 on FM 2920.

jjminarcik
02-03-2007, 09:00 PM
Hi! :waving:

I'm moving to Houston from Dallas in May! Probably north Houston, too, Spring or Woodlands area. Thanks for the note about the yarn store, it will definitely be one of the first places I go once I get there!

Do you know of any knitter groups in the area? :shrug:

Arielluria
02-03-2007, 10:50 PM
Nope :shrug: I'm still looking for one. I'm pretty new to this. I'm just W. of the Woodlands.....near the Walmart :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

jjminarcik
02-04-2007, 12:08 AM
Let's stay in touch and we can start our own group! I'm pretty new to this whole thing, too! :happydance: It would be great for us to be able to learn from each other and I'll have a friend, too! :hug:

Arielluria
02-04-2007, 08:06 PM
Send me an email to ladyborg@texasnova.com & check out Twisted Yarn's site: http://www.twistedyarnstexas.com also sign up for their newsletter.

I'm a thrifty knitter, so I don't spend a whole lot there, but they are really nice, and they have people who come in and knit together. I haven't been to that yet.

What part of town will you be in?

If you email to me bounces, pm me and send me your address so I can add it to my friends list so it won't be bounced.

Lu

Arielluria
02-10-2007, 06:21 PM
JJ, I think we're going to have to start our own knitting club, I can't find any!!!!!!!!!!

geekgolightly
02-11-2007, 02:39 PM
the greatest knitting club in the universe is in houston

Knitta Please (http://www.knittaplease.com/)

Arielluria
02-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Thanks! I'll look into it. :muah:

brownishcoat
03-29-2007, 04:14 PM
I don't know how I missed this thread. I have been to Yarntopia; it's pretty fabulous. They are celebrating their one-year anniversary.

Arielluria
03-29-2007, 07:44 PM
Hiya! :waving: Where's Yarntopia? Sounds like a great name for a LYS.

brownishcoat
03-30-2007, 11:26 AM
It's in Katy.

www.yarntopiaonline.com

I've also been planning to check out Mary Charles, but I haven't gotten there yet.

http://www.marycharlesyarn.com/index.html

Sweet_Thang
04-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Tomball/North Houston Knitter here.

I usually "sit and knit" at Merribee's off of 1960 near Willowbrook Mall.

Rather a newbie, even though I have been knitting for a year. :-)

Arielluria
04-03-2007, 01:25 PM
Hi, I am just 10 mi. or so North of you off FM 2978 then! :waving:

I hadn't thought of Meribee's I think I know where it is, they carry a lot of needlepoint and such? Is it in Champions????????? What's the nearest cross-street? I moved away from that area a few years ago and don't go down there much now!

Maybe JJ & I can meet you @ the Barnes & Noble in Champions to knit and for coffee?!? Just a thought. I like to go to the bookstores, we can look at knitting books when we take a break ;)

Arielluria
04-03-2007, 01:47 PM
FYI, JJ & I met a few days ago, here's my post (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29437&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) ;)

Sweet_Thang
04-04-2007, 11:43 AM
Hi, I am just 10 mi. or so North of you off FM 2978 then! :waving:

I hadn't thought of Meribee's I think I know where it is, they carry a lot of needlepoint and such? Is it in Champions????????? What's the nearest cross-street? I moved away from that area a few years ago and don't go down there much now!

Maybe JJ & I can meet you @ the Barnes & Noble in Champions to knit and for coffee?!? Just a thought. I like to go to the bookstores, we can look at knitting books when we take a break ;)

Merribee's is off of FM 1960 between the light at Hayes (There's a Target Center there) and Champions Drive. If you are traveling from 249 east, there's a road just after the light at Hayes called "Shiloh Church Road". You turn right there and she's on the left about 1/2 mile maybe. She's having a Happy Hour Sit and Knit on 4/17/07 from 5 pm to 7 pm. This is her second one. Last month was pretty good!

She does have a lot of needlepoint, but she does have alot of Yarn as well. Good mix, in my opinion. and a really nice store. That's where I learned how to knit.

Sure would love to meet you guys at the B & N. There's another group that usually meets there the last Tuesday of the month around 5:30 pm as well. I haven't been to that one yet. If you email me at ljohnson360 at houston dot rr dot com, I can give you the group information.

You do know that there's also a group that meets up at the Tomball Library on the Tomball College Campus. From what I have read in the Tomball/Magnolia Potpourri, they meet I believe the third tuesday of the month at 6 pm or so? I will have to look again. (Of course another one that I don't go to.. once I am home, I am HOME!).

My name is Lexie :-) and I am just off of 249 at Spring Cypress and North Eldridge (about 1 1/2 mile west of the Walmart. So we arent too far from each other. Althought I know where 2978 is at!! heehee Cuz I travel that road to go to Mel's Country Cafe!! whoohoo

brownishcoat
04-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Keep me in mind when you guys are ready to meet again! :waving:

lissalue
04-09-2007, 03:28 PM
Do I get to be an honorary member of this thread May 25th when I get to Texas?

brownishcoat
04-09-2007, 03:33 PM
It's going to depend on them. :shrug: I don't even feel like a member yet. :pout:

Momof4Greys
04-09-2007, 04:01 PM
Hi there!!! :waving: I'm in Tomball also.

I've been to the Hen House Yarn Shop on Louetta and it has a Stitch and Bitch group but I haven't been to it. I did't know about the yarn shop on FM 2920, where exactly is it??? My sister just told me about one on Spring/Cypress that she said looks good also.

I would love to get into a knittig group...but what day(s) and times?? I have two girls 7 and almost 5 and it's hard for me to meet in the evening, my husband is working in Nigeria (we should be there also but that's another story) so night time is hard for me. Maybe once school is out I could get one of my sisters to watch the girls for me so I can try and make it.

brownishcoat
04-09-2007, 04:07 PM
It's good to see you again, Dina! :waving:

Momof4Greys
04-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Hi Lisa!!

I've been knitting my little fingers off lately and I would love to get into a group to help me put together my first sweater!!n I knitted one for my almost 5 year old and it's just looking at me waiting to be put together and I'm actually afraid of it. I've never done it before and it's scaring my to death.

Sweet_Thang
04-09-2007, 04:43 PM
I did't know about the yarn shop on FM 2920, where exactly is it??? My sister just told me about one on Spring/Cypress that she said looks good also.

That would be "Twisted Yarns". It's just off of I45 and FM 2920 (on the east side of I45). It'sjust as you head into the Old Town Spring area to the left. Nice shop; but I have never gotten involved in any groups there.

http://www.twistedyarnstexas.com/

I work during the day, so I only get to do "group" type activities either at night or on the weekends.

There's also the Knit At Night Guild - which does happen to have a northside meeting/chapter.
http://www.knitatnight.org/

Arielluria
04-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Hey all. Nice to finally see some Houston knitters here! We should definitely organize a N. Houston meet sometime, either near Twisted Yarn or Meribee I guess.

Twisted Yarns is a nice atmosphere, but I haven't been to many so I can't really say.

jjminarcik
04-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Hey Houston Knitters!

I'll be moving to Houston around May 30 - and it would be awesome to have a meet up! I've already met Lu, so I'm looking forward to meeting the rest of my new knitter friends! :heart: :heart:

Arielluria
04-10-2007, 04:56 PM
:cheering: :woohoo: :woot: :woot: :woot: :X: :muah: :hug:
Does that make sense?!? ;)

P.S.: Don't forget my vet, he's DA BOMB!!!!!!!!! On 249, for all your Tomball yarners! Dr. Randy Jones, 249 Animal Clinic (281) 370-5891. I can tell you stories! He's awesome!

Arielluria
04-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Do I get to be an honorary member of this thread May 25th when I get to Texas?ABSOLUTELY! ;)

Mer
04-15-2007, 12:33 PM
Hey, I just noticed this thread! It looks like most of you are in North Houston, but if anyone wants to come to central Houston there's a SnB that meets every Thursday night at 7:00 at Cafe Express on West Gray. I'm there nearly every week!

There are also some other group locations you can check out here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HipKnitHouston/

brownishcoat
04-16-2007, 03:26 PM
Mer! :waving: I was hoping you'd see this!

I'm more southeast, but Central is closer to me than North. I'll have to check out that meeting.

I'm a member of the Yahoo group, but I keep forgetting to go look at the event listing! :oops: Well, that, and things have been really hectic. ;)

Mer
04-16-2007, 06:53 PM
Yeah, you should come! It's always fun. :)

newandhorrible
04-17-2007, 10:01 AM
I just noticed this thread, yay! It seems as though lots of you are from North Houston-ish, and I'm from Sugar Land. Yeah 'burbs! I'm wondering if anyone knows of any yarn shops (besides Michael's and Joann's and Hancock Fabrics, which is going out of business and all their yarn is 40% off!!) near that area.

I'm still at school in New Orleans until after graduation in May, so I can't get to anyplace in the Houston area until after that. I checked out Yarntopia online, and I'm planning a trip out there once I get home.

Hope to hear from some of you awesome Houston Knitters soon!

brownishcoat
04-17-2007, 11:01 AM
:waving: Hi! My brother lives in Sugarland, so I go over there quite a bit. I've been wondering about yarn shops in that area, too.

Yarntopia is really nice and Sheryl and Amy are very sweet! :heart:

Arielluria
04-17-2007, 08:37 PM
Sugarland....way too far for me. I'm on the other side of the Woodlands.

BUT I would love to know what LYSs are around town, I can make a list and hit them if I'm out that way ;)

brownishcoat
04-28-2007, 06:25 PM
Looks like everyone got busy (including me)! Hope we can plan something soon. That would be cool.

karmamonkey
05-02-2007, 05:52 PM
I live in an area outside of Downtown Houston - I have been wanting to find a good yarn store also. I don't know my way around the area yet though :pout:

Arielluria
05-03-2007, 10:46 AM
Howdy! Welcome to the Houston, TX knitters post :D

Good luck finding a good LYS. I like mine (I-45 @ 1960), they are really nice there, and lots of books too!

Stitch
05-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Hi! I live in Katy and my LYS is Yarntopia! I love going there!!

I would love to go to a SnB, I am gonna check that group out!! Wish there were one close to me!

Stitch
05-03-2007, 02:37 PM
Hi! I live in Katy and my LYS is Yarntopia! I love going there!!

I would love to go to a SnB, I am gonna check that group out!! Wish there were one close to me!

OOOOH there is one close to me!!! Im gonna email em!! YAY

tigger61568
05-04-2007, 03:59 PM
Hi everyone. I live north of The Woodlands also a little ways down 242.

Twisted Yarns is a fabulous store and the people there are really nice. I'd love to go to Yarntopia I've heard about it but haven't had the chance to trek to Katy.

A knitting club would be a fantastic idea...please keep me in mind if it comes to light.

LeAnn

tigger61568
05-04-2007, 04:02 PM
Hi everyone. I live north of The Woodlands also a little ways down 242.

Twisted Yarns is a fabulous store and the people there are really nice. I'd love to go to Yarntopia I've heard about it but haven't had the chance to trek to Katy.

A knitting club would be a fantastic idea...please keep me in mind if it comes to light.

LeAnn

caboosetx
05-16-2007, 09:55 PM
I just started knitting a few months ago. I live close to the Woodlands. I haven't been to the LYS in by Old Town Spring, but I took my one lesson at The Hen House off Louetta. It is in the same strip center as Stracks. I keep meaning to go to the one in Old Town Spring, but I just haven't made it yet. I would love to get together with other knitters in my area.

Momof4Greys
05-19-2007, 06:48 PM
Hi Caboosetx,

Where do you live?? I'm in Tomball and I go to the Hen House every now and then. I've been knitting for about 1.5 years and I'm totally obsessed with it.

Sweet_Thang
05-21-2007, 08:59 AM
Hi Caboosetx,

Where do you live?? I'm in Tomball and I go to the Hen House every now and then. I've been knitting for about 1.5 years and I'm totally obsessed with it.

Butting in.. I am in Tomball as well. I usually head over to Merribee's off of 1960 on Saturday's for Sit and Knit. I have been to the Hen House a few times, but I guess I prefer Merribee's since that's where I learned.

We live just off Spring Cypress and 249 area.

Momof4Greys
05-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Hi Lexie (my daughters name also, but spelled Lexi)

We live in a subdivision off of Huffsmith/Kohrville.

jjminarcik
05-21-2007, 07:37 PM
Hello Houston knitters! I'm moving down there this weekend! I'll be living is Arielluria's area of town, The Woodlands. Let's plan a meetup - I would :heart::heart::heart: to meet up and knit!

:muah::muah:

Sweet_Thang
05-21-2007, 08:44 PM
Hi Lexie (my daughters name also, but spelled Lexi)

We live in a subdivision off of Huffsmith/Kohrville.

Hello! Your daughter has a *fabulous* name if I might say!

You are not far from me at all! :)

Sweet_Thang
05-21-2007, 08:47 PM
Hello Houston knitters! I'm moving down there this weekend! I'll be living is Arielluria's area of town, The Woodlands. Let's plan a meetup - I would :heart::heart::heart: to meet up and knit!

:muah::muah:

Welcome to town!! I would love to participate in meetup. I am somewhat shy at first, but get me going, :clink:and you will have wished I was still shy and quiet...

Lexie.. not too far from the Woodlands!

caboosetx
05-22-2007, 02:30 PM
Momof 4Greys,

I live in Spring. The Hen House is a little far from my house. I would prefer to go to the one in Old Town Spring. It would not be far from my house.

G J
05-25-2007, 03:44 PM
There's a knitting group in Sugar Land! I don't get there very often, but it meets at Panera Bread on Hwy 6 & Hwy 59 certain Sundays and Thursdays. I know the schedule is posted on yahoo groups. The group is called Gabnstitch. When I go, I have a good time!:heart:

yiayiabryant
05-26-2007, 10:09 PM
HI lu,
I'm in Lufkin and I know Twisted Yarns. It is a great store
Maria

G J
05-26-2007, 11:34 PM
The Sugar Land Group meets tomorrow (Sunday) at 1:30 at Panera Bread on Hwy 59 & 6. I hope to go, if I can get away from my family. Ooh, that doesn't sound good. You know what I mean, tho! :)

knitwit88
05-27-2007, 09:50 PM
I'm in Katy, my yarn store is Yarntopia

jjminarcik
06-01-2007, 12:34 AM
Okay Houston knitters!!! I'm finally here! Let's get together and knit! I'm available most days and evenings except for June 9-13. Y'all know locations better than me, so just name the place and I am so there. I'm located in the Woodlands, but will go just about anywhere. Can't wait to meet all of you! :cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering:

Stitch
06-05-2007, 12:09 AM
WOO HOO!

Yarntopia has a knitting group that gets together at the store on Thursday's!! YAY!

jjminarcik
06-05-2007, 12:44 AM
Katy is a bit too far for me - about 50 miles actually! :pout:

Anyone want to meet somewhere closer? Don't we have some Woodlands/Spring/Tomball knitters here?:??

caboosetx
06-06-2007, 01:46 PM
I live in Spring near the Woodlands. I can meet one night Monday through Thursday.

Lisa_H-Town
06-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Hi all.... It's nice to see folks from the area.... seems like we have special needs with our temps and all... so it will be nice to have compadres!

I am heading to Yarns 2 Ewe on Shepherd when I get off work this aft. so I can find some yarn to join in Arielluria's KAL....

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=59954

I have NEVER been to a YS before, and must admit I am nervous... hope I don't commit any knitting faux pas!

I live in SW area.... outside loop, inside Beltway.

jjminarcik
06-08-2007, 08:05 PM
Lisa - So how was your first LYS visit???

Lisa_H-Town
06-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Weeeellllll, Fine I guess, JJ -- a bit overwhelming, since I am not familiar w/ what all the different yarns mean.... I thought there was supposed to be some kind of international coding system -- ya know, the 1's, 2's, 3's, etc.... not so, I tell you!!:hair:

There's DK, 4 Ply... blah, blah... what the hey! And I was too embarrassed to ask... I am VERY much on the shy side.

Lots of gorgeous stuff... but was any of it what I was looking for? I don't know....

Anyway... I did manage to find some that I think will work for the cabled tank... not the color I wanted (found colors I liked, but they didn't have enough balls), but a material make up I think may work (more cotton than anything)...Waaaay more expensive than anything I have purchased online.... But I was not - repeat not- going to leave empty handed!:rofling:

They had a little corner w/ a couple of ladies visiting and I guess knitting... I couldn't really see them. There were some yarns over that way, but I was afraid they would think I was eavesdropping if I went over there to look... how paranoid am I??

The people looked normal enough -- not sure what I was expecting -- a different species or something???

Sorry to go on.... but I am the only "knitter" in my group of friends... so they just laugh at me (kind heartedly, of course).

Arielluria
06-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Katy is a bit too far for me - about 50 miles actually! :pout:

Anyone want to meet somewhere closer? Don't we have some Woodlands/Spring/Tomball knitters here?:??Hi y'all! What's a good day/time for everyone? I can't at night or weekends, but that's my schedule. I'm in Woodlands area too.

Arielluria
06-11-2007, 03:40 PM
Hi all.... It's nice to see folks from the area.... seems like we have special needs with our temps and all... so it will be nice to have compadres!

I am heading to Yarns 2 Ewe on Shepherd when I get off work this aft. so I can find some yarn to join in Arielluria's KAL....

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=59954

I have NEVER been to a YS before, and must admit I am nervous... hope I don't commit any knitting faux pas!

I live in SW area.... outside loop, inside Beltway.
That URL is now http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=58785&page=3

I had started 2 and they were merged. JIC anyone else is interested in joining our summer top KAL.

Arielluria
06-11-2007, 03:41 PM
There's DK, 4 Ply... blah, blah... what the hey! And I was too embarrassed to ask... I am VERY much on the shy side.Don't be afraid to ask, knitters are notorious for wanting to help!!!!

Lisa_H-Town
06-11-2007, 04:51 PM
Yeah, I should be better next time... I was so nervous I almost fainted when I left... But will know what to expect next time. The girl that checked me out was very sweet.

I will also go armed with more knowledge of my weights.

Love the yarn though... started the Latoya last night, and I think the yarn will work well.... verrrrrry light and thin. And is just nice to knit with.

Arielluria
06-11-2007, 05:31 PM
If you're like me you nearly fainted due to the prices:roflhard:
BTW, here's a Standard Weight System (http://www.yarnstandards.com/weight.html) link, it might help. I'm relatively new, so I'm still figuring it all out myself. If you ever need it again it's on my blog under "Other Knitting Related Stuff" on the right margin.

BTW, that LaToya, is that from the KA for summer tops (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=58785)? The one I first considered? It's cuuuuuuute! I changed my mind, and am going with another, I first have to figure out all those UK instructions.......it's on pg. 5 (post #43).

Yeah, I should be better next time... I was so nervous I almost fainted when I left... But will know what to expect next time. The girl that checked me out was very sweet.

I will also go armed with more knowledge of my weights.

Love the yarn though... started the Latoya last night, and I think the yarn will work well.... verrrrrry light and thin. And is just nice to knit with.

Lisa_H-Town
06-12-2007, 05:08 PM
Lu, thanks... I had seen that chart before, but had forgotten all about it!

Yes, the Latoya is from the KAL you started... and I saw the tunic... gorgeous... I actually thought about switching, but thought I might get confused, and this one seemed pretty straight forward... plus there's some one else who has done the Latoya.

Maybe next I will do the tunic... Lord knows we have enough warm weather to warrant it!! And you will have already worked out all the translation kinks! :rofling:

knottyknitter
06-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Hiya! :waving: Where's Yarntopia? Sounds like a great name for a LYS.

Yarntopia is in Katy.

I belong to a wonderful group that meets at the wilson rd starbucks in Humble.

Arielluria
06-13-2007, 07:30 PM
BTW, anyone in NW Houston know if Meribee closed (near Champions)? I drove by where I am pretty sure it used to be, but didn't see it.

Arielluria
06-14-2007, 10:34 AM
Y'all click on the locator link on my sig and add yourself to the map eh?!? ;)

BTW, JJ, I left a message on your cell yesterday.
:muah:

caboosetx
06-14-2007, 01:36 PM
Knottyknitter,

Can anyone join your group in Humble? I live nearby and would love knitting with a group of knitters during the week.

Arielluria
06-14-2007, 08:23 PM
Humble's a little far for me, do you have a LYS nearby? Maybe you can find someone there.

jjminarcik
06-14-2007, 08:35 PM
Hey Lu - Got your message, my 14 yr old niece has been visiting and she just left! Whew! Let's get together sometiime and knit!

I'm interested in the Humble area group, too. It's a little far for me, but I just moved here and want to explore! Can we have the details of when & time?

caboosetx
06-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Arielluria,

The LYS in Old Town Spring has a group of knitters that meets, I believe, once a month. I can't think of the name of the LYS at this moment. If you wish, I could probably find it on the net. I believe it was mentioned earlier in this thread.

jjminarcik
06-14-2007, 09:02 PM
I think that LYS in Old Town Spring is called Twisted Yarns???

Arielluria
06-14-2007, 09:32 PM
Yes it is, and it's the 3rd Thursday of every month 5-8 pm I think.

Sweet_Thang
06-15-2007, 06:04 AM
BTW, anyone in NW Houston know if Meribee closed (near Champions)? I drove by where I am pretty sure it used to be, but didn't see it.

Merribee is still open. (I knit there almost every single Saturday). www.merribee.com (http://www.merribee.com)

If you come down 1960 west from I45, just past Champions (not champions Forest), but before the light at Hayes to the left there's a very small side street called

Shiloh Church Road. Turn on to that street (you can only turn one way as it "T-bones" into 1960. Shes down on the left about 1/3 a mile.

** Landmark wise notations. At Champions and 1960, there's a Walgreens, BootTown, Washington Mutual, and a Party City in the strip center. Dead across the road of 1960, is the Street you need. If you come down FM 1960 and go past the New Target at Cutten Road, you have passed the street.

Here's a Map of it's location

http://tinyurl.com/39su66

knottyknitter
06-15-2007, 10:18 AM
Knottyknitter,

Can anyone join your group in Humble? I live nearby and would love knitting with a group of knitters during the week.

We welcome new people. Our group is small, 4 regulars and we have others that make it when they can. We met every saturday, from 1-5. If your in the area stop by.

Jen

Sweet_Thang
06-18-2007, 04:32 PM
Just to let you guys know:

Merribee's is having their Monthly Open House tomorrow, Tuesday, June 19th, from 5 pm until 7 pm.

There will be some sittin' and knittin', with refreshements too!

Arielluria
06-19-2007, 02:18 PM
Not sure if someone's mentioned this here, there's a Houston Knit Chicks online group. I get their emails but hardly ever get a chance to really look at it. I think they meet sometimes.

The group is at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheHoustonKnitChicks/
xxx

Arielluria
06-19-2007, 02:19 PM
I also belong to From The Heart of Texas group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FromtheHeartofTexas/

I'm "ladyborglu" on those groups ;)

jjminarcik
06-20-2007, 02:04 PM
Hey Sweet_Thang -

Will you be knitting at Merribee's this Saturday? I couldn't come to the open house last night :cry:, but would love to check it out sometime and knit with you! Let me know, I'm open all day!

Also, Twisted Yarns in Old Town Spring is having their monthly sit-n-knit on Thursday from 5-8:30. I'm going to go in case anyone else is interested in going, too! :thumbsup:

brownishcoat
06-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Hey, guys, help me out!

I'm going out of town tomorrow, and I was wondering if there are any yarn shops near 59 north of Beltway 8. I'm taking 59 all the way to Lufkin, so WAY North is OK. :D

I was thinking there may be something convenient in the 1960 area maybe. It'll be Friday afternoon, so I don't want to stray too far from the freeway.

Thanks bunches! :muah:

knitwit88
06-21-2007, 11:04 PM
I'm in Katy too

Sweet_Thang
06-22-2007, 12:57 PM
Hey Sweet_Thang -

Will you be knitting at Merribee's this Saturday? I couldn't come to the open house last night :cry:, but would love to check it out sometime and knit with you! Let me know, I'm open all day!

Also, Twisted Yarns in Old Town Spring is having their monthly sit-n-knit on Thursday from 5-8:30. I'm going to go in case anyone else is interested in going, too! :thumbsup:

I don't think that I am going to be able to make it tomorrow. I am waiting to hear back from a contractor to come to the house to take of an issue. And the following weekend, I am outta town!!

There's always a group there on Saturday mornings; she has a sit and knit from 10:30 am to 12 noon or there after....

One of these days, I might have to check out the one at Twished Yarns.

jjminarcik
06-23-2007, 02:35 AM
I went to the sit-n-knit at Twisted Yarns on Thursday night. I had an awesome time! The group was so nice and they made me feel very welcome even though I was the "newbie". I even went back and knitted there today and I was invited to knit with another group Saturday at The Hen House. There were also several guild members there. I'm going to check out their meeting next week and see if I'm interested in joining. So if anyone is interested in going, check with me, I'll probably be there! :inlove:

Arielluria
06-26-2007, 02:59 PM
I haven't been to the sit n knits, but will try next month.

Arielluria
07-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Tip to Houston knitters.............(this may not be news to experienced knitters, but I haven't been serious about [read that "addicted to" / carrying my knitting everywhere until about 6 mo. ago]...........DON'T leave your metal needles in the car in the sun.........you'll come back and be frustrated at not being able to get right back to it! ;)

G J
07-07-2007, 11:00 PM
:roflhard:LOL!:roflhard:
WELCOME TO HOUSTON KNITTING! It DOES get SO hot in cars here.
My DH's AC is out on the car he drives. He doesn't want to spend the money to get it fixed, so I refuse to ride with him. He offices at home and travels a lot, so when he gets back from trips, the car has been sitting at the airport... HOT! Comes home HOT and SWEATY. YUCK! A nice shower is the first thing I suggest!

Arielluria
07-08-2007, 11:24 AM
And if you want to knit..........carry wooden or plastic needles in the summer!:roflhard:

Arielluria
07-10-2007, 08:24 PM
JIC anyone's interested.......got this from my LYS today. The Stitch 'n Pitch sounds like fun if you have a hubby into BB:

Happy summer everyone! What do the three things in the subject line have in common?.........Twisted Yarns of course!
The most exciting news is that the Yarn Harlot, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee is coming to Houston in September, and we are
hosting her visit! The date is Tuesday, September 18th, so mark your calendar now, it's going to be an event you won't want to miss!
More details coming soon. Watch the website, blog and the newsletter for up to the minute information!

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/cid:410-220077210179597431@13071999 (http://www.stitchnpitch.com/)We'll be at Stitch N' Pitch with the Astros at Minute Maid Park on August 12th! Join the Twisted Yarns gang and buy your ticket through us. Tickets are field level seats for only $18.50 and we have a block of 50, which will be first come first serve. We'll need payment by July 20th to reserve your seat, and then will call you when the tickets arrive so you can pick yours up. It's also the game where they are celebrating Biggio's 3000th hit!! It's going to be great fun, many of the yarn shops in the Houston area are participating. Let's show the Houston community how much fun knitting is.
Please join us! Don't strike out, sign up ASAP!

And finally, our annual Beat the Heat sale will be next week, Thursday, July 19th through Saturday, the 21st. As the temperature goes up, the yarn prices go down! Above 90 degrees the discount is 15%, above 95 the discount is 20%, and above 100 the discount is 25%.
We check the temp every hour on the hour. The discount applies to in stock regular priced yarn only, cannot be combined with any other discount, and there will be no pre-sale holds. Come in when you think the temp is at it's peak for the day, and enjoy the savings!

We hope you are having a fun, safe, and relaxing summer! The newsletter will be coming out soon with details about the Yarn Harlot's visit, and sign up information for our fall retreat to Fredericksburg and the Kid n' Ewe Festival in Boerne. There's a lot going on at the shop, come by and see the new yarns arriving daily from our trip to market! See you soon!
Shelley, Eve & the whole Twisted crew

Twisted Yarns
www.twistedyarnstexas.com (http://www.twistedyarnstexas.com/)
702 Spring Cypress Road, Suite A, Spring, TX
281-528-8664
Hours: Tuesday-Saturday 10 to 5
Join us the 3rd Thursday of the month for Sit & Knit from 5 to 8:30!

mamapaulsel
07-11-2007, 02:35 AM
Hi all,
I lived in Houston 10 years ago before I was a knitter. My DH, myself and our two daughter's are going to be in Houston for Christmas!:cheering::happydance: What are the top 10 yarn stores that I can shop at while down in your area? I need something to do while visiting my in-laws and while my husband goes hunting! You can post your favorites on my blog : A Day in the Life of Mamapaulsel Thanks everyone!:muah::hug:

Sweet_Thang
07-11-2007, 08:36 AM
JIC anyone's interested.......got this from my LYS today. The Stitch 'n Pitch sounds like fun if you have a hubby into BB:

DH isn't into BB of all things! But I am so going to see The Yarn Harlot! Got it marked on my calendar already!!

Arielluria
07-11-2007, 09:46 AM
Hi all,
I lived in Houston 10 years ago before I was a knitter. My DH, myself and our two daughter's are going to be in Houston for Christmas!:cheering::happydance: What are the top 10 yarn stores that I can shop at while down in your area? I need something to do while visiting my in-laws and while my husband goes hunting! You can post your favorites on my blog : A Day in the Life of Mamapaulsel Thanks everyone!:muah::hug:Can you post a link to your blog? How do we find it?

G J
07-11-2007, 05:53 PM
I don't think Houston HAS ten yarn stores! I've only been to two:

Yarns2Ewe
518 Shepherd Drive
between Memorial & Washington
Houston, TX 77007
(713) 880-KNIT
They moved since last time I was there. Big selection. Very helpful.

Yarntopia
2944 S. Mason Rd
Katy, TX 77450
281-392-2386

Yarntopia is pretty small, but it has nice stuff.

I havent' been here, but I found it online:
Merribee Needlearts
12682 Shiloh Church Rd.
Houston Texas 77066
(281) 440 6980

Lisa_H-Town
07-11-2007, 06:01 PM
I don't think Houston HAS ten yarn stores!

Unless you want to count wal-mart and HobLob :roflhard:

And we are the 4th largest city in the US......

mamapaulsel
07-12-2007, 03:19 AM
Thanks everyone!:hug: I really appreciate all the information. I will have to check out the stores that are available while we are in Houston.

If you would like to post in my blog thread just click on blog threads and look for "A Day in the Life of Mamapaulsel" you can get in touch with me there.

Thanks again!:hug:

Arielluria
07-16-2007, 04:30 PM
As a quilter I was thrilled that there was a huge quilting show in Houston every year. It's a MAJOR show.

Is there anything like that knitting-related in town?

jjminarcik
07-16-2007, 07:28 PM
Hey all Houston Knitters!

I'm going to the Sit-N-Knit at Twisted Yarns in Spring on Thursday night from 5-8:30.

Come join me!! I would love to meet y'all!

Pat M
07-17-2007, 02:19 PM
I'm in Sugar Land and have also been to Yarntopia. I agree--what a great place.

Sweet_Thang
07-17-2007, 04:17 PM
FYI,

Yarn Harlot to be in Houston September 18th. Hosted by Twisted Yarns.

http://www.twistedyarnstexas.blogspot.com

I haven't seen a place as of yet or time!

I am definitely going!

G J
07-17-2007, 04:35 PM
I'm in Sugar Land and have also been to Yarntopia. I agree--what a great place.
Hi Pat,
I'm in Sugar Land, too. Have you ever been to the knitting group at Panera?

njwallis
07-20-2007, 07:14 PM
Hey Lu - Got your message, my 14 yr old niece has been visiting and she just left! Whew! Let's get together sometiime and knit!

I'm interested in the Humble area group, too. It's a little far for me, but I just moved here and want to explore! Can we have the details of when & time?
I'm new to Kingwood. Where is the Humble group meeting and when?
Nell

ShirleyU
07-23-2007, 08:59 AM
Hi, Everyone! I moved to Houston the beginning of June from Green Bay, WI; left at the end of June for a three week mission trip to Tanzania and arrived home on the 21st. While I was gone, my daughter gave birth to our first grandchild. I really must get going with the knitting needles. I've visited Merribee's, the Hen House, and Twisted Yarns...they're the closest stores to me; liked Twisted Yarns best but it's the furthest away. I live off Cypresswood and 249 and would love to find a few people to knit with on a regular basis. Liked the idea of Barnes & Noble...let me know when/if any of you get together....it's lonely not knowing anyone around here!

Arielluria
07-23-2007, 05:18 PM
I thought it would be nice to meet some more knitters who are also Christians......and thus be able to share in TWO things which we all have in common :). Actually it was hubby's brilliant idea. I found a Christian knitters blog ring (http://christianknitters.blogspot.com/) which has a Frappr map (http://www.frappr.com/christianknitters)....it's actually a Yahoo Group. It made me think to create a Houston Christian knitters blog (http://houstonchristianknitters.blogspot.com/). ;).

For anyone interested, I'll see if I can create a Frappr map for just the Houston area Christian knitter's group as well, so members can all see where we are in relation to each other.

jjminarcik
07-24-2007, 04:55 PM
Hey Lucy! What a great idea! I signed up on the map, but it wouldn't let me comment on the blog. . .Ahh!

Arielluria
07-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Hi JJ,
:woohoo:

My fault! I forgot to set to allow anyone to post to it! Please try again!

Hey Lucy! What a great idea! I signed up on the map, but it wouldn't let me comment on the blog. . .Ahh!

Arielluria
07-25-2007, 11:17 AM

:teehee: I remember now what I was doing.........I wanted that blog NOT to be a one-way (me only doing the posting) but allow members to post also (rather than just comment). So if interested, I can add your name as a blog author. I sent you an invite from Blogspot.

Anyone can visit or comment there, not just members.

Arielluria
07-25-2007, 02:06 PM
I don't think Houston HAS ten yarn stores! I've only been to two:

Yarns2Ewe
518 Shepherd Drive
between Memorial & Washington
Houston, TX 77007
(713) 880-KNIT
They moved since last time I was there. Big selection. Very helpful.
Yarntopia
2944 S. Mason Rd
Katy, TX 77450
281-392-2386

Yarntopia is pretty small, but it has nice stuff.

I havent' been here, but I found it online:
Merribee Needlearts
12682 Shiloh Church Rd.
Houston Texas 77066
(281) 440 6980
Does anyone have websites for these? I want to add to my new Houston Christian Knitter's Blog (http://houstonchristianknitters.blogspot.com) LYS list.

Sweet_Thang
07-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Does anyone have websites for these? I want to add to my new Houston Christian Knitter's Blog (http://houstonchristianknitters.blogspot.com) LYS list.

www.merribee.com (http://www.merribee.com)
http://www.yarntopiaonline.com/
www.thehenhousetx.com (http://www.thehenhousetx.com)

Hope that helps

Arielluria
07-25-2007, 05:41 PM
Thanks!
I can't believe a city of this size doesn't have more!
:teehee:

G J
07-25-2007, 08:12 PM
There just don't seem to be enough knitters around! I was visiting family in Washington state and saw more knitters in two weeks there than I've seen all year here! I guess Houstonians figure they don't wear sweaters enough? I don't know, but I Loveto knit, even when it's 95 degrees outside!

Arielluria
07-26-2007, 10:58 AM
That MUST be it! But we all know how much more we can do (tops, dishcloths, etc.).......and even Swiffer Covers (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=61873)

Those non-knitters just DON'T know what they're missing!
:woot:

G J
07-26-2007, 11:05 AM
No kidding! I LOVE to knit, and I make lovely "Texas appropriate" sweaters and other stuff, too!

There's a knitting group in Sugar Land, but I don't get to it often. It's on Sunday afternoons, which I like to keep for family time and on Thursday afternoons when I'm usually working. Oh well. :shrug:

Sweet_Thang
07-27-2007, 02:33 PM
Not sure if you have heard, but the Yarn Harlot will be in Spring on 9/18/07

http://www.twistedyarnstexas.com/TwistedYarns2007AugSepOct.htm

You have to email to reserve a seat....

I can't hardly wait! She's someone I would love to see!

**I have already seen my other "hero" Paula Deen this year!!

ShirleyU
07-28-2007, 06:39 PM
Since I'm new to the N Houston area, I learned about the guild meeting Thursday night in Spring and am thinking of going. Anyone else going? Are there any other groups meeting this week? If so are new people welcome?

Shirley

jjminarcik
07-30-2007, 03:41 AM
Hi Shirley -

I'm new to the Houston area as well and I have already mets lots of great knitters. I joined the guild and our meetings are the last Thursday of the month. Besides that, I usually try to go and knit at the shop called Twisted Yarns on Fridays. I'm the "newbie" but they welcomed me in and I would love it if you could join us! There are also several lace groups that meet on the 1st, 3rd, and 4th Saturdays. I will probably join them eventually, but for not so do the knitting on Fridays at Twisted Yarns and the Guild meetings. We could always get together and start our own thing. I was actually thinking of going over to Barnes and Noble tomorrow afternoon to sit and knit for awhile. You are welcome to come! I'll be at the one by the Woodlands Mall, knitting by the cafe thingy, probably around 2 pm.

So to answer your question, newbies are always welcome! PM me if you want more info, I feel like I've been rambling enough! :yay:

jjminarcik
07-30-2007, 03:45 AM
I signed up! :cheering: Anyone else going???

Not sure if you have heard, but the Yarn Harlot will be in Spring on 9/18/07

http://www.twistedyarnstexas.com/TwistedYarns2007AugSepOct.htm

You have to email to reserve a seat....

I can't hardly wait! She's someone I would love to see!

**I have already seen my other "hero" Paula Deen this year!!

Arielluria
07-30-2007, 11:34 AM
JJ, what time on Fridays???????? I thought you went on 3rd Thursdays.

I WISH I could have joined you at B&N today! Mom's still here, waiting for a Dr. appointment.

jjminarcik
07-30-2007, 11:54 AM
I usually go on Fridays around 1 or 1:30pm. It's nothing formal, so you can come and go as you please. You can bring your mom to B&N, too! I guess I'll just have to knit alone. . .:teehee:

ShirleyU
07-30-2007, 10:06 PM
Thanks, JJ. I'm slow in responding, obviously didn't make it to the Woodlands B&N. That's a pretty long haul for me! Would love to meet you Friday at Twisted Yarns if you'll be there ... I think you said in another message you're there between 1 and 1:30, correct? Let me know!
Shirley

jjminarcik
08-02-2007, 03:20 AM
Hey Shirley - I would love to knit with you at Twisted Yarns on Friday! I have a dr's appt that day so I will a little late, probably around 1:30 and 2:00 pm. I have shortish, reddish/brown hair, and will probably be wearing a jean skirt and flip-flops (because that's what I always wear!) and my knitting bag is pink with flip-flops on it. Hope to see you there!

Arielluria
08-02-2007, 11:31 AM
I just started The Yarn Harlot last night and I couldn't put it down for almost 50 pages........I was snickering in bed with my nightlight. :teehee:DH kept asking me what I was snickering about (while he was trying to fall asleep)........then stated "only silent books allowed in bed".
:roflhard: I then tried to disguise my laughs as coughs.

The tale of the green afghan had me.........in stitches.........as did the weddings sweaters......:rofl:

I wish I could go see her on 9/18! Y'all let me know how it went ok???????????????
:flirt:

ShirleyU
08-02-2007, 03:38 PM
I'll plan on being there, JJ. I'm short with brown, going gray hair! And I'll probably be wearing a jeans skirt, too!
I have a "Knitting for Peace" bag that I won as a door prize in Green Bay ..... Look forward to meeting you and looking for more yarn (can't seem to go into a yarn store without buying something...)
Shirley

jjminarcik
08-03-2007, 02:14 AM
Sounds good! I'll see you there!

ShirleyU
08-04-2007, 06:25 PM
JJ, Take a look at this site .... http://www.christmascovedesigns.com/eShop/10Browse.asp There's a flamingo Christmas stocking!
Really enjoyed meeting you yesterday....and will definitely come and knit with you again!
Shirley

jjminarcik
08-06-2007, 07:43 PM
Aww, Shirley, that stocking is soooo cute! I'm glad you came to knit with us, I was so happy to meet you!! Another new person to Houston, just like me! I'm glad I'm not the only one! :teehee:

I'll be there again this Friday if you're coming, or if you want to get together another time, I'm up for it!

ShirleyU
08-07-2007, 12:40 PM
I'm planning to be there again this Friday...around 1-ish. Finished the washcloth and the little dress I was making...will bring them for you to see. Have you started the sweater yet? Loved the yarn you picked out. Off to a doctor's appointment now....see you in a few days.
Shirley

jjminarcik
08-09-2007, 07:10 PM
Hey Shirley - I'll see you tomorrow!

I havn't started the sweater yet, I've been knitting away on the flamingo! I'm close to being done! Whew! But maybe I'll start the sweater tomorrow. . .

ShirleyU
08-28-2007, 11:04 AM
Hi, JJ!!! Haven't been at Twisted Yarns for a couple of weeks. On the 17th my car was in the shop ... window wouldn't roll up and of course we were having massive amounts of rain. Duct tape and plastic kept the car from being saturated before I was able to get it in to be fixed. Last week I was out of town visiting my parents in Florida. I thought I was planning my trip around the Guild meeting. LOL! I had my weeks mixed up. Won't get to go next month either as I'll be in Boston visiting my new granddaughter. And I doubt I'll get over to Twisted Yarns this Friday.

Saw your new blog. VERY GOOD!! And the flamingo turned out beautifully. Now you need to make another one so it has a companion. What are you working on now?

I picked up some Rowan Denim at a yarn shop in Florida to make a shell. (Denim is really cool. It's made from real denim fibers and fades and softens just the way jeans do.) I've also got a couple of cross stitch things going right now.

Let me know what's going on with you!

jjminarcik
08-29-2007, 12:27 AM
Shirley - I sent you a private message!

Sweet_Thang
09-15-2007, 08:06 PM
Any of ya'll houston knitters going to attend the Yarn Harlot on Tuesday? I will be there!! I went and picked up my book signing ticket last Saturday when they became available!!

Hope to meet some of you!!

Lexie

Mer
09-17-2007, 09:52 PM
I might be at the Yarn Harlot, but I'm not entirely sure yet. I hope I can make it!

jjminarcik
09-17-2007, 10:34 PM
I'll be at Yarn Harlot! Can't wait!!!

Arielluria
09-20-2007, 10:08 AM
So how was the Yarn Harlot? Was it as good as you thought it would be? Did you learn anything new? I saw her on Knitty Gritty last week.

Sweet_Thang
09-26-2007, 09:30 PM
Attention all you Houston Knitters!!

There's going to be a knitout in Austin on 10/13/07

http://lonestarstateknitters.homestead.com/KnitOut.html

I am part of the yahoo group that is sponsoring this event. We hope to see you there!!

I am driving in from Houston for the event!!

Arielluria
09-28-2007, 04:00 PM
JJ, I gotta get the pawprint pattern....:teehee: how'd you do that?:
http://bp2.blogger.com/_cXIe9jWdah8/RsercgDrjWI/AAAAAAAAAB8/MG_1qvMNbjo/s320/485_8582.JPG

Also...........my blog name has changed, you're still linked to the old one. ;) Thanks for listing it on your blog. Oh, and I go by "Lu" now ;) I am soooooooooo tired of "Lucy" :eyes:

TexasMama
10-01-2007, 01:33 PM
Hi. I have been lurking around for about a week and thought I would introduce myself. I'm Britney, a beginner knitter, and I live about 40 miles north of Houston. I have so far completed a scarf and am currently working on a 9x9 square for charity. Hopefully I will get that finished this week and start broadening my horizons and moving on from plain old garter stitch! I am desperate to see a real live person knit so if y'all know of any local knitting groups/ classes please let me know!

Britney
DD Julia Wren :heart:6/29/07:heart:

Arielluria
10-01-2007, 02:28 PM
:waving: Hi TXMama! I guess the nearest store to you would be the nearest to me.....it's Twisted Yarns......just E. of I-45, on FM 2920. Go S. on 45 and L. on 2920. It's about a couple of miles down on the left. You can't miss it, just past the donut place.
:flirt:

I haven't actually been able to GO there to knit, but they are nice. I've been there a couple of times just to browse. And DH went in at Christmastime to ask if they sold yarn LOL!

Sweet_Thang
10-01-2007, 03:11 PM
DD Julia Wren :heart:6/29/07:heart:

Welcome!! I just have to say that your daughter has a great birthday!! 40 yrs ago on that date this year, I was born :):woot:

TexasMama
10-03-2007, 01:15 PM
So people actually go to Twisted Yarn to sit and knit? Hmmm... I went to Hancock Fabric in Conroe and got some cheapo needles and yarn on sale. Nothing too exciting there, but that's probably a good thing since I need to practice before I start messing up some expensive yarn! Thanks for the warm welcome ladies!:hug:

Arielluria
10-03-2007, 01:23 PM
Hobby Lobby in Conroe has great yarn selection! And look out for their 50% off (last week they had I think) all their needles, etc. on sale. I often go there instead of the closer one in Woodlands (to me). Plus, Dollar Tree next door often carries novelty yarn, so don't forget to check them out!

If you are a member of a church you might think of starting a group there.........I bet there are many others in the same boat wondering where they can find other knitters with whom to get together. ;)

TexasMama
10-04-2007, 01:50 PM
I did buy some novelty yarn at Dollar Tree (for a non-knitting project) but wasn't sure if they had it on a regular basis. Thanks for the tip. :) Unfortunately I am not a member of a church... I have a friend who wants to learn also, so maybe that will lead to a knitting group, who knows!

Arielluria
10-04-2007, 04:34 PM
Also, there's a Yahoo group called Houston Knit Chicks (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheHoustonKnitChicks/). I am a member there, but I have never gone to any get-togethers. Or it's a good way to find out what's around town.

My Yahoo username is Ladyborglu, that's my name in the group ;)

TexasMama
10-05-2007, 09:22 AM
Cool! I had a major knitting breakthrough last night. I did my first swatch playing around with knitting and purling and I realized, "Hey this is actually not that hard!" I guess I had it in my head that it would take me months of practice to make something that looks half decent, so I am really relieved that I will be seeing positive results right away!

Arielluria
10-05-2007, 12:31 PM
:cheering::woohoo::woot:
Alright! See, knitting isn't so hard!
Keep at it.

What do you have OTN? (On the needles?):teehee:

TexasMama
10-05-2007, 02:49 PM
I just have a little swatch right now that I am experimenting with. This weekend I plan to start on a dishcloth. What kind of yarn is best for a dishcloth?

Arielluria
10-05-2007, 05:17 PM
I'm new to dishcloths, but I believe it's the 100% cotton you can get at Walmart a pound cone for $6.

Also if you're into those, there is a group you can join:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MonthlyDishcloths/

TexasMama
10-09-2007, 10:00 AM
That group sounds fun. And for $6 for a pound, that sounds like a great way to do homemade christmas presents!

AnnArrogance
01-21-2008, 05:03 PM
Hey, all! I'm in Houston too, but oh dear, am I the only one inside the Loop? :) I go to Yarns2Ewe normally, but there is another yarn shop in town that I haven't seen listed on this topic. It's called Nimblefingers and it's out Memorial and Benignus (near Dairy Ashford). It's mostly needlepoint, but they have a small but really great yarn boutique in the back. Plus they're not as expensive as Yarns2Ewe! DH and I have friends in the Woodlands, Spring, Humble, and Katy, so we get out there a lot, but he'll never let me stop and check out the other yarn shops! I'm going to have to save some extra gas money and just make the trip out there on my own! :D Anyway, just wanted to check in as a fellow Houston knitter!

Lisa_H-Town
01-21-2008, 06:45 PM
Hi! Looks like you may be the only one inside the loop... but I am not far... I work off Shepherd (San Felipe), and have been to Yarns2Ewe a couple of times -- it's convenient from my office... Just found a place closer to my home called Nancy's Knits (Braeswood and Chimney Rock)... and was pleased with the selection (not that I am any expert or anything), and the prices I saw (for brands I recognized) were comparable to on-line.... I can't stand I-10 right now with all the construction, one hasn't any idea what detour they will make you take!:) Or how long you will sit there!

A lady here in my building says there is a yarn store not far from here by the River Oaks Theater -- haven't checked though. Parking for that strip center is ridiculous!

:waving: Lisa

AnnArrogance
01-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Hmmm... Braeswood and Chimney Rock isn't too far from my parents' house... I'll have to go check that out! I live off Shepherd and West Alabama (woot! Montrose!), so I'm right near the River Oaks theater and go down there a lot, but I haven't seen a yarn shop there yet. I'll have to go do some recon on my way home this week! =)

Mer
01-21-2008, 07:48 PM
Hmmm... Braeswood and Chimney Rock isn't too far from my parents' house... I'll have to go check that out! I live off Shepherd and West Alabama (woot! Montrose!), so I'm right near the River Oaks theater and go down there a lot, but I haven't seen a yarn shop there yet. I'll have to go do some recon on my way home this week! =)
Hi! I haven't been around the forum much lately, but I just wanted to say that I'm in Montrose too! :thumbsup:

AnnArrogance
01-21-2008, 08:04 PM
Hooray! A Montrose buddy! =)

Lisa_H-Town
01-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Hi Mer!

Kate, If you decide to check out the one by ROT... she says it's in that alley way between the theatre, and maybe Starbucks (?)... trying to remember, and it may be more towards the back -- ?? Good luck...

And the Nancy Knits... she doesn't have a sign out -- says she's having trouble with City... But, it's the same center as Belden's and she is a couple of doors to the left of Walgreens. I barely found it.

cdjack
01-22-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm from Houston (Memorial area), but I'm currently living in North Texas. My in-laws live in Sugarland, though. Anyway, I've been to Yarns2Ewe and Mary Charles Yarn on Sunset. Now, where is the one in River Oaks? On West Gray? And Chimney and Braeswood... is that considered Bellaire? People look at me crazy when I say this, but I miss Houston!

Lisa_H-Town
01-22-2008, 12:23 PM
:happydance:I love Houston!

Chimney Rock/Braeswood, to me -- is the Meyerland area (?)... Between Westbury and Bellaire... everything is right next to each other.... Maybe it's considered Westbury?

River Oaks: Yeah, West Gray, right at Shepherd.

Mary Charles: Sunset and what? I go home through that area sometimes...

cdjack
01-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Yeah, I guess that would be Meyerland.

Mary Charles is on Sunset almost to the museums. There is a group of shops altogether. It's right next door to the furniture/home decor store Surroundings. Very cute, but kinda pricey.

Lisa_H-Town
01-22-2008, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the info!

AnnArrogance
01-22-2008, 01:15 PM
I tried to go to Mary Charles over the summer, but she was on "summer hours" and was closed. I looked in the door, though, and it looks like she had some really nice stuff! She's on the second floor of one of those little converted houses on Sunset between Mandell and Ashby, on the right side if you're heading west from Mandell.

Here's a link to her website:

I'm SO going to go hunt down the one by the ROT this week. I think I might know where it it... like on the back side of the center where Hunan River is, maybe? Anyway, I'm going to wander the dark and dangerous streets of River Oaks (ha!) until I find it!

And then on to Nancy's Knits, which I think I have heard about, but thought was closed. Someone said they couldn't find it--must be the sign thing.

Mer
01-22-2008, 08:40 PM
I had no idea there was a yarn shop in River Oaks! I'm close to there, so I'll have to try to find it. Mary Charles is ok but I wouldn't go there for anything other than yarn--the last time I was there she had a selection of about 4 needle sizes and only a couple other accessories!

cdjack
01-22-2008, 09:27 PM
I'm definitely going to try to find the River Oaks yarn shop next time I'm in town. Somewhere around Starbucks? Near Backdoor Sushi?
Oh well, I'll find it. Now, Nancy Knits, is this the one in Meyerland?

Lisa_H-Town
01-23-2008, 12:36 PM
I will be curious to hear what y'all find out about the one in RO.

I told my son and husband about the Nancy Knits (yes, Meyerland), and now they want to go with me and pick out their OWN yarn for me to make them hats!! This may wind up being an expensive discovery!!

Son keeps talking about cashmere-blanket-something!! Not seeing it in his future....

AnnArrogance
01-24-2008, 06:56 PM
I have (in theory) located the yarn shop in River Oaks shopping center! It's called Chandail, and it's around behind the theater itself. The closest cross streets are McDuffie and Peden (1 block south of West Gray on McDuffie). I'm going to head over there now and check it out, make sure it's actually there. :) Although, I think that it might be needlepoint (or at least primarily)--I think my mom goes there a lot, 'cause the name sounds really familiar. I will let y'all know when I get back!

cdjack
01-24-2008, 07:18 PM
Oh, yes, please let us know. We (dh and I) are planning a trip down there to see family in February. My good friend tends bar at the Little Woodrow's, so I could just run over there. There isn't a yarn shop anywhere near my in-laws...

AnnArrogance
01-24-2008, 07:20 PM
OK, I'm back. They were closed when I got there but I could see the whole shop through the windows and it's definitely needlepoint. :sad: Although, if you do needlepoint, it looks like they have some really stunning canvases. Sorry, guys! I'm going on a knitting shop odyssey this weekend, though, I've decided, and am going to check out a few of the other shops. Maybe not the one in Katy, but I might hit the ones in the Woodlands. Haven't decided yet!

AnnArrogance
01-24-2008, 07:21 PM
Oh, yes, please let us know. We (dh and I) are planning a trip down there to see family in February. My good friend tends bar at the Little Woodrow's, so I could just run over there. There isn't a yarn shop anywhere near my in-laws...
Sorry about Chandail, then, but check out Yarns 2 Ewe! It's just a mile or so north on Shepherd from the RO center.

cdjack
01-24-2008, 07:30 PM
Yeah, I've been to Yarns2Ewe. Got some Malabrigo and some Patagonia cotton :inlove: ... If you are going on a knitting shop scout-out this weekend, you should check this place out:

http://www.merribee.com/

Their website says they have 2,000 square feet of yarn and it seems like they carry some great brands.

If I can convince my dh, I'd like to check it out next time we come to town.

G J
01-24-2008, 07:57 PM
I've never been to the store, but the Meribee (http://www.merribee.com/)website is AWFUL! You can't tell the price until you order. How backwards is that? They must do most of their business in store. Hope it's nice!

ShirleyU
01-25-2008, 01:13 AM
Just a note about Merribee...All of the yarn is kept in the bags. Being a "pet the yarn person" that drove me crazy. Also the store was dark...the owner had to turn the lights on so I could look around. Store is about half and half yarns and needlepoint. I went once....haven't been back. I live near Tomball and drive to Twisted Yarns in Spring. Much better selection, bright store, and just a better atmosphere all around. It's always busy, it seems. Also, The Hen House on Louetta is okay. It's kind of dark, too, but the yarn selection is okay; it's about half yarn and half quilting supplies. I think you'd all like Twisted Yarns best, but Hen House is worth a visit, and I just don't recommend Merribee.

Shirley
Eclecticknitter.blogspot.com
Ravelry: EclecticKnitter

cdjack
01-25-2008, 10:24 AM
Thanks for letting us know. If my dh drove me all the way over to Meribee, it better be really good. My in-laws live in Richmond (Ft. Bend County). Maybe I can check out Twisted Yarns on our way into town someday. Thanks again, because I'm a yarn-petter as well!

Lisa_H-Town
01-25-2008, 12:36 PM

Which Little Woodrows? Bellaire Blvd.? If so, Nancy's Knits would be easy for y'all too, just come up 59, I would probably take 610 to Braeswood and go that way, as opposed to coming all the way down Chimney Rock from 59... But then again, I am a freeway kinda gal.

cdjack
01-25-2008, 12:41 PM
No, she works at the one on W.Alabama and sometimes the one in Midtown. But, I will still try to make it to Nancy's Knits anyway.

Lisa_H-Town
01-25-2008, 12:51 PM
OK, I'm back. They were closed when I got there but I could see the whole shop through the windows and it's definitely needlepoint. :sad:

Thanks for the reconnaissance, Kate.

AnnArrogance
01-26-2008, 10:13 PM
I made the trek to Twisted Yarns today, and it was AWESOME. Totally worth it. They have a WHOLE. WALL. OF. NORO. :inlove: They had some Malabrigo, too, which I fondled but did not buy because I was already getting a ton of Noro for a sweater pattern I found there. I also got some really nice variegated laceweight called Jojoland Harmony (stunning), and a Mama Llama hand-dyed sock yarn. Great stuff.

They have a great book selection, too! I spent like an hour in there and totally could have stayed longer. PLUS they offer spinning classes, and even though I can't make the class (Tuesdays are not good for me), the lady there said that the spinning instructor is always happy to come in when it's convenient for you and give you a private lesson!

The ladies there were really nice, and I got a free measuring tape b/c it was my first time! I really liked it. Very friendly and comfortable. And I have never seen so much Noro in my life. Did I mention the Noro? :)

TexasMama
02-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Hi ladies! I haven't posted in a long time, but wanted to let yall know that there is a knit-in at Lone Star College-Montgomery on 242 in Conroe/The woodlands, on February 16 from 10:30-1:00.

It is benefitting The Door, a shelter for victims of domestic violence, in Humble. The are taking donations of knitting supplies so that these women at the shelter can learn to knit, and also anything that it knitted during the Knit-In can be donated.

I just read an article about it on www.woodlandsonline.com
The contact's name is Lisa Woodward (936)273-7228.

Arielluria
02-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Thanks! That's just minutes from me and I have some starter yarn and perhaps extra needles to destash!

Arielluria
03-05-2008, 07:12 PM
I checked out Meribee yarn store in Champions (Off 1960 W.) and was pretty disappointed. I guess there was plenty of decent yarn, but they didn't have anything I wanted. Debbie Bliss, sock yarn, cashmere (or blends) was what I was looking for. It's a quaint store though.

mamapaulsel
03-09-2008, 11:32 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm Brenda (mamapaulse) and we are moving to Houston in Mid May. We are going to be living in the 610/290 area. Still looking for jobs down there. I pray that we won't be without for too long. I'm a teacher and DH has retail and wood manufacturing experience. If you know of any open jobs I'd appreciate a PM. Thanks. Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting to know some fellow Houston knitters.
:hug:
Brenda

mamapaulsel
04-07-2008, 12:51 AM
Just wondering how often ya'll meet to knit and where. I'm looking forward to meeting other knitters when we move and making some friends. I'm also looking forward to learning from other experienced knitters.

labeelady
04-29-2008, 06:04 PM
Just read this on yahoogroup I'm on:

Someone is starting a knit night in Tomball at the Panera Bread located at 249 and Spring Cypress. They will be meeting from 7:00 - 9:00 PM every Thursday, starting May 8.

It also says to bring a friend and if you don't know how to knit someone will teach you.

Sweet_Thang
05-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Just read this on yahoogroup I'm on:

Someone is starting a knit night in Tomball at the Panera Bread located at 249 and Spring Cypress. They will be meeting from 7:00 - 9:00 PM every Thursday, starting May 8.

It also says to bring a friend and if you don't know how to knit someone will teach you.
I was there last night and it was a blast!! We would love to see more people there!! So come on out and visit!

Arielluria
05-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Awesome! Real close to me. I 'll try to make it! If I'm there I'll be the one with the Shih Tzu on her totebag ;)

Arielluria
06-20-2008, 05:59 PM
:waving:For all you knitters in N. Houston, there's a new Ravelry group for Market Street Day Knitters (http://www.ravelry.com/groups/market-street-dayknitters). They are meeting in a Borders in the Woodlands after lunch on Thursdays. The link takes you to the Ravelry group.

truesouthernbelle
06-30-2008, 07:41 PM
Hello all!

I understand that this is a group of Houston knitters; however, are there any Houston knitters that live closer to Sugarland/ First Colony area? I would love to meet and hang out with other knitters to pick up some techniques!

G J
06-30-2008, 10:07 PM
I'm in Greatwood! I'd love to meet up with you sometime, but I'm out of town for the next two weeks.

truesouthernbelle
07-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Great! Let me know when you're available!!!!!

rachael72knitter
07-10-2008, 10:04 AM
I'm in Houston, TX! I live in the NW area and my mecca for knit stuffs is at Merribee Needle Crafts. I might not have spelled that correctly. I also like Yarntopia, though it is across town from me.

Sweet_Thang
07-13-2008, 07:56 PM
I'm in Houston, TX! I live in the NW area and my mecca for knit stuffs is at Merribee Needle Crafts. I might not have spelled that correctly. I also like Yarntopia, though it is across town from me.
Have you travelled over to Twisted Yarns and The Hen House? Both really good stores to shop as well. TY has more selection when it comes to wool and other name brand yarns. Cascade 220 is my favorite right now and I know Merribee doesn't carry it; and she wont. (Direct quote from her).
There's a group of us in the NW that meet on Thursdays. Currently this weeks meeting is going to be at the Barbara Bush Library at 6:45 pm - 8:45 pm. Library is located at Cypresswood and Stuebner Airline.

Welcome to the area!

rachael72knitter
07-13-2008, 10:40 PM
Have you travelled over to Twisted Yarns and The Hen House? Both really good stores to shop as well. TY has more selection when it comes to wool and other name brand yarns. Cascade 220 is my favorite right now and I know Merribee doesn't carry it; and she wont. (Direct quote from her).
There's a group of us in the NW that meet on Thursdays. Currently this weeks meeting is going to be at the Barbara Bush Library at 6:45 pm - 8:45 pm. Library is located at Cypresswood and Stuebner Airline.

Welcome to the area!

I'm going to put that on my calendar. What date just to be sure?

Adele
08-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Hi,
You didn't give you name. I live SW of Houston in the Sugar Land, Richmond Area. A bit far from each other. Have you heard from any others? There is a new day meeting Guild in Houston if you are interested let me know. I will try to watch the posts. The meeting is on Richmond Avenue west of the Galleria.

G J
08-08-2008, 06:29 PM
I'm in Greatwood-SW Sugar Land. It would be fun to get together, but I going into Houston doesn't work for me. Anyone in this area want to get together?
(My name is in my signature.)

cdjack
08-08-2008, 07:30 PM
I live in North Texas, but my dh and I are both from Houston.
My in-laws live in Pecan Grove. It would be neat to meet some of you sometime when we are down for a visit.

Arielluria
09-11-2008, 12:30 PM
I'm keeping all my KH Houston friends in prayer this day and weekend! May the Lord protect you during hurricane Ike!

G J
09-11-2008, 04:51 PM
Thank you SO MUCH!!! Looks like we'll need it!

MAmaDawn
09-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Praying here too

sue in canada
09-11-2008, 09:22 PM
Will be thinking about all our Texas knitting friends. Keep safe everyone.

Arielluria
10-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Hey fellow Houstoninan knitters!!!!!!! I just noticed that our PBS (KUHT ch. 8) is carrying Knitting Daily Tuesday mornings at 4:30 a.m. ;) Can't wait to see it!

knitterific
11-28-2008, 12:09 AM
Anyone here from Houston, TX area? I'm N. of Houston, near Conroe. There's a great knitting store in this area. It's called Twisted Yarn and is just E. of I-45 on FM 2920.
Hi! I live in Lake Conroe. I would like to find a few gals to knit with every now and then. I am excited to visit the local yarn shops. I never knew we had any until yesterday. Do you know of any knitting groups in our area?

Arielluria
11-29-2008, 02:05 PM
:waving: Hi! I know there is one in Conroe meeting once a week in the evening. There's also a Market Street Day Knitters which meet once a week in Market Street in the Woodlands in the daytime (I belong to this group in Ravelry, you can search there for both I'm sure). There are others, I'm sure. Also, once a week meet in our nearest yarn store which is on FM 2920, it's called Twisted Yarns.

Arielluria
12-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Wooooohooooooooooo! Snow in Houston!:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

G J
12-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Yee-haw!

cdjack
12-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Well, somehow the snow and sleet missed me up here in North Texas. My dh and I were in Sugarland on Sunday for the birth of our niece. If only she could of waited until today. It would be cool to say it snowed on your birthday... if you are from Houston.

Arielluria
05-11-2009, 01:52 PM
What's the best yarn shop in Houston? Any part of town will do, I'm sending the info to an online acquaintance who is traveling to H-Town.

G J
05-11-2009, 04:47 PM
I haven't been to many, but Twisted Yarn in Spring is nice.

cdjack
05-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Yarns 2 Ewe on Shepherd is pretty cool. Good selection of Malabrigo.

mamapaulsel
05-15-2009, 12:40 PM
Both of those shops are wonderful. Yarns 2 Ewe has a larger inventory than Twisted Yarns. However, both store have wonderful sales people that are very helpful.

NotreDameFan
07-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Hi everyone...I just joined this forum and I'm so glad I finally found people who knit in the Houston area!! I live in Spring, but work around the 249/1960 area. Does anyone know of any knitting groups that meet in the evening in either of these two areas?

Arielluria
07-09-2009, 11:49 AM
:waving: Hi!!!!!!! I know of a Dayknitters which meet in the Woodlands on a weekday morning. If that's too far, check at Joann's on 249 & 1960. There's also a Meribee LYS S of 1960 W near Champions area for a group. The next nearest LYS would be E. of I-45 at Twisted Yarns LYS.

NotreDameFan
07-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Thanks so much for the info!!! BTW, my name is Darla, and I'm really looking forward to meeting some new friends here too!!!:woohoo:

MMario
07-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Knitting in the Loop is suppossed to be pretty good - and I know they stock yarns from a local dyer: Knitivity.

TexasMama
07-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Where would I find info on this Dayknitters group in the Woodlands? I wish there was something in Conroe!

NotreDameFan
07-23-2009, 02:24 PM
I don't know anything about the Dayknitters group, but I have been looking for a group myself. I get off work on Fridays at 11 am. Would you consider meeting someplace and maybe starting our own group? :)

knitterific
07-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Where would I find info on this Dayknitters group in the Woodlands? I wish there was something in Conroe!

Hi, there are a few knitting groups in the Conroe area. There is one that meets the 1 & 3 (or maybe it is the 2 & 4 Tuesday from 6-8 and Saturday from 9-12 at Panera Bread at 105/45. I can forward you their email and you can sign up to be on their email reminder list. Also we started a knitting/crocheting/quilting club at the Stewart Library on 105 in Montgomery (if you live near Lake Conroe) and we meet on the the same schedule as the Conroe group except ours is at 10:30 on Tuesdays. I can forward you Mary's email so you can sign up for reminders for this one too, if you are interested.

If you happen to start up another Conroe club, let me know and I would love to join if it works into my schedule!!! I live in Montgomery, so I'm not that far away.

knitterific
07-23-2009, 09:36 PM
There is another yarn shop on Louetta in between Kuykendahl and Stuebner Airline. It is next to Strack's Barbeque. It is called The Hen House. They have a huge yarn selection and lots of people go there to sit and knit/crochet. They may have a group that meets there regularly, but I'm not sure. I only visit there when I am in the area.

NotreDameFan
07-24-2009, 08:46 AM
Would you mind sending the information about the group that meets at Pannera Bread to me, also? I live in Spring, but I could definately do the Saturday meetings. Thanks for the info, and will keep everyone posted if we start a new group. :cool:

Arielluria
07-24-2009, 12:10 PM
Where would I find info on this Dayknitters group in the Woodlands? I wish there was something in Conroe!There is something in Conroe, they used to have a Yahoo Group but I can't find it now. I found this at meetup.com: http://knitters-social.meetup.com/cities/us/tx/conroe/

Try calling The Twisted Yarn LYS in Spring, they probably have a list of groups that meet.

Here's the Ravelry link for the Market Street Day Knitters (http://www.ravelry.com/groups/market-street-dayknitters).

TexasMama
07-26-2009, 10:48 AM
I wouldn't be able to do the Dayknitters because I have to be at work at 1. The library and Panera group would work for me though. I found them on Ravelry just before I read all your responses. That sounds perfect. Thanks so much guys. I have been doing alright teaching myself so far, but I am about to start using DPNs to knit in the round and I think it may help to have other experienced people around for that! LOL. Plus, I just talk about knitting all the time and since no one I know knits, my friends, family and coworkers are probably tired of listening!

TexasMama
07-26-2009, 10:51 AM
Here is a link to a Conroe based knitting grou pon Ravelry. This is where I first read about the Panera and library meeting.

http://www.ravelry.com/groups/hip-to-stitch

Arielluria
07-26-2009, 02:41 PM
Ah, that's the one I was trying to find! If I could make it in evenings I would.

NotreDameFan
07-26-2009, 06:57 PM
Me too but i can't get there by 6. I might try the Saturday meeting though.

Arielluria
02-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Just in case anyone DOESN'T know, the Knitting Daily TV show is on PBS sat. mornings at 9 or 9:30, check the schedule, I'm not sure which.

Remember to email & thank Ch. 8 for it, I want them to realize there are TONS of people wanting to see something other than cooking all day on PBS! :roll:

mrgus3
03-19-2010, 01:37 PM

I'm in the Humble area and I also like Twisted Yarns. The Hen House is west of 45 on Louetta. They have ladies that "sit 'n knit" also. Have you thought of joining KANG? (Knit at night group) That is Houston's knitting guild and has several chapters. The closest to you being in Spring just down the road from Twisted in a church. KNOT (knitters north of town) meet the 4th Thursday of the month at 6:30-8:30. It's only $20 a year, but you can come as a guest to see if it's something you would like.

Arielluria
08-24-2012, 11:28 AM
I was going through this old thread and your link is broken. Is this group still around?