PDA

View Full Version : Want to Knit Sun Ray Shawl

Arielluria
02-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Here's a beautiful shawl, a free pattern and can you believe it's an "easy" level?!?

It says to use 6 balls of elann.com Peruvian Highland Wool. The price isn't bad. I'm kind of impatient, maybe I can find something comparable at Hobby Lobby?!?

Here it is:
http://www.elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=188024

http://www.elann.com/images/image1/sunray2.jpg

http://www.elann.com/images/image1/sunray3.jpg

nightowl
02-10-2007, 12:56 AM
I really like this pattern. I printed this it out about a month ago and have been considering knitting it. I don't think I'm ready to do it now though but I'd love to see progress pictures of yours.

Arielluria
02-10-2007, 11:55 AM
I'll keep you posted. I'm looking for yarn now and trying to decide on the color. The link to the yarn on that page takes you to all the colors and there are SOOOOOOOOOOO many gorgeous ones.

knitting4babybear
02-13-2007, 11:01 AM
I want to do it too. I have two other things I want off needles before I start it though, so I'll jump in as soon as at least one of them is done. :)

Arielluria
02-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Great, our own private KA! Did you decide on a color yet? I clicked the link on the pattern and all the colors were so beautiful! I guess i'll go for a lighter color though, like the one in the color.

MoniDew
02-13-2007, 11:50 PM
I really liked this shawl. I've already printed out the pattern, but don't intend to start it for a while yet. When were you planning on beginning the KA?
________
FORD S-MAX PICTURE (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_S-Max)

MoniDew
02-13-2007, 11:51 PM
I really liked this shawl. I've already printed out the pattern, but don't intend to start it for a while yet. When were you planning on beginning the KA?
________
WASHINGTON DISPENSARIES (http://washington.dispensaries.org/)

knitting4babybear
02-16-2007, 12:27 PM
For whatever reason, I really feel like I want a lace shawl to have a touch of silk in it. Myabe it's the little gleam. I'd love something that's semi solid, but I'll save a non "first shawl" for that, because it usually takes a little more money to get EVERYTHING you want in a yarn. I'm still looking for something that will fit the bill, and I'll most likely get it at Elann. Peruvian baby silk. I ordered a skein to do some test swatches on while I finish my other projects. We'll see. :)

I know the yarn is a smaller gauge than recommended, but I also sooorrttaaaaa want a smaller shawl, so I'll get it, see what happens when I do a swatch on smaller needles with this yarn and see how I feel about it. I did a lace swatch on some sport weight yarn and I definitely like the look of something more delicate a little better. Personal preference though, I think (I hope!). :)

CarolPa2001
02-17-2007, 09:12 AM
May I join your KAL for the Sun Ray Shawl? I've never knitted a shawl before and would love to attempt this one. I'm also fairly new to knitting so I''ll probably have some questions and will love the support of this group to get me through. Thank you, Carol

Arielluria
02-19-2007, 04:57 PM
Hi Carol and WELCOME!!!!!!! Absolutely, join us. I haven't started yet, I'm looking for the right yarn too.

This may be too heavy for this, but I'm loving Yarn Bee's Dreamy Chenille. See http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=376362.

CountryCrafter
02-22-2007, 04:28 PM
I am looking at this shawl and considering joining you. I am ready to move up from dishcloths and boring squares for my daughters blanket, but I'm not sure if I am ready for this. Just glancing at the pattern puts questions into my head, but I guess that is what a KA is for!

I am also dizzy from all the different colors! I will probably go with the elann since the price seems right.

I will mull it over a bit more and let you know!

April

Arielluria
02-22-2007, 08:02 PM
I haven't really looked at the pattern, I need to do a test patch myself. I am merely going by the fact that it says it's an easy pattern. I can't wait to decide on a color and start this!

irish_leeny
02-26-2007, 10:35 AM
Ugh! I just finished this shawl on Saturday! Too late for me to join!

However, I will say that this pattern was very easy and fun to knit. I used every last bit of six balls of the suggested yarn, Elann's Peruvian Highland Wool. It went very quickly, and grew exponentially when I blocked it!

Anyhow, I'm here to answer any questions! Hopefully I can post some pics later.
[/img]

Birdy
02-26-2007, 03:35 PM
I think I'd like to try. The beginning has me a bit confused. I can't figure out exactly where I would start knitting as far as how the shawl looks in the picture.

I do have two things I must finish, but I allow myself 3 projects at any time, so I could quick finish one of them and then be allowed to do this.

I'll have to think on it. Potentially I am moving in the next month or so, and that kind of would mean I shouldn't start this.

Arielluria
02-26-2007, 04:35 PM
Irish, I can't wait to see your finished product!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad to hear it was easy.

irish_leeny
02-27-2007, 11:36 AM
Here it is...if you have issues viewing the images, let me know!

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/bean37x/photo/294928804253131999/0

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/bean37x/photo/294928804253148051/1

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/bean37x/photo/294928804253132015/2[/img]

irish_leeny
02-27-2007, 11:56 AM
Here you are!

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/bean37x/album/576460762391475548

irish_leeny
02-27-2007, 11:56 AM
Here she is!

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/bean37x/album/576460762391475548

CountryCrafter
02-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Irish,

Beautiful! I love the color you chose too!

I am stuck on the color, I just can't decide. Maybe I'll copy you! LOL

Arielluria
02-27-2007, 08:26 PM
Beoooooooootiful! Now I have to start that SOON!!!!!! What yarn did you use?

irish_leeny
02-28-2007, 10:05 AM
Hey guys,

I used the suggested yarn - Elann's Peruvian Highland Wool. It's pretty nice, was inexpensive, and came within two days! The colorway I used is called Tranquil Lagoon, but I don't think that particular shade is available anymore.

Comparable yarns, in my opinion, would be Knit Picks' Wool of the Andes, Cascade 220 or Patons Classic Merino. The Elann balls are around the same size/yardage as the Wool of the Andes.

Let me know if you've got any more questions! It was so much fun and very easy/quick to knit!

-Colleen

CountryCrafter
03-01-2007, 12:04 AM
Ok, I ordered my wool...Knit Picks Wool of the Andes in Mulled Wine. While I was at it I ordered a set of Options, gotta love the free shipping! LOL I can't wait to get started. I'll be looking over the pattern, but I think I understand it except for...the FIRST line! I need to figure out this whole crochet thing. :??

Can't wait to get started!

irish_leeny
03-01-2007, 09:36 AM
The crochet provisional cast on is easy. Just crochet the chains specified and look for the side of the chain that has little bumps that look like purl bumps. Pick up those bumps and knit into them. It's a lot easier than it looks!

irish_leeny
03-01-2007, 09:38 AM
The crochet provisional cast on is easy. Just crochet the chains specified and look for the side of the chain that has little bumps that look like purl bumps. Pick up those bumps and knit into them. It's a lot easier than it looks!

Arielluria
03-01-2007, 10:42 AM
I'm sooooo confused on the color, I CAN'T make up my mind. I love the bright blues, but I wonder if a shawl that color would look good, so I think of going with the more "safe" colors like a dusty green or lavender or yuck! beige!

What are your opinions?????????? What color are YOU going to make it?

Arielluria
03-02-2007, 06:36 PM
:doh: C'mon you guys, help me out here! What color?!?!? Yikes! Should I go for a neutral-ish color or go for a punchy color that I love like a bright blue or purple??????????? :shrug:

Arielluria
03-02-2007, 08:18 PM
I don't think the pattern mentions what color the one the model is wearing was made in, does it? I read it through and didn't see it.

It looks like the color named "Butter" to me. What do you think?

CountryCrafter
03-02-2007, 11:34 PM
It does look like butter which is beautiful, unfortunately I can't wear yellows, oranges, or peaches and even green is iffy for me. My coloring just doesn't work with them. That was the first step in my decision making process. I really love blue, but then I thought I might want to wear my pretty shawl with jeans and I can be picky about the blues matching. I really wanted a color so that left me with the reds and purples and I chose the mulled wine because I think it is pretty. So, that was my decision making process!

I also went with the knit picks because I was already placing an order and got free shipping. :happydance:

There is probably one color that is really just jumping out at you and you are liking...go for it!

Arielluria
03-03-2007, 11:49 AM
I've narrowed it down to

Celadon:
http://www.elann.com/images/image1/y5221726.jpg

or
Victorian Violet:
http://www.elann.com/images/image1/y5221755.jpg

or
Serengeti Sand:
http://www.elann.com/images/image1/y5221753.jpg
:cheering:

Arielluria
03-03-2007, 11:50 AM
I also went with the knit picks because I was already placing an order and got free shipping. :happydance:

How did you know the Knitpics would be a good replacement for the Elann? I'm still pretty new at this and the whole figuring out weights, etc. confound me! :??

CountryCrafter
03-03-2007, 06:21 PM
I am pretty new at knitting too. I am trusting that Irish knows what she is talking about and she suggested it as a replacement. :lol:

irish_leeny
03-05-2007, 11:10 AM
KnitPicks WotA and Elann's Peruvian Highland Wool are both worsted weight, wool yarns. I have both of them and they're almost identical in texture; I will say that the KnitPicks is a little softer than the Elann, but Elann is great too. KnitPicks' is cheaper, but Elann arrives faster in the mail.

CountryCrafter
03-05-2007, 12:04 PM
I am thinking is will be a while before I get my package from knitpicks since I ordered the Options at the same time. I have't gotten an email saying it has been shipped yet. :crying:

Arielluria
03-05-2007, 01:07 PM
KnitPicks' is cheaperWhoa! You said the magic word.........."cheaper"!!!!!!!!!! I'll have to check them out then! ;)

Arielluria
03-08-2007, 10:23 PM
:cheering: Celadon it is! I just put in my order!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now to get my first sweater off the needles! :happydance:

http://www.elann.com/images/image1/y5221726.jpg

How's everyone coming on theirs?

CountryCrafter
03-10-2007, 02:01 PM
I got my order from KnitPicks. The pink is what I am going to use for the shawl. I will get started probably on Monday!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/Aprils_Garden/100_2409.jpg

Arielluria
03-10-2007, 04:58 PM
:cheering: :heart: :happydance:

Arielluria
03-12-2007, 03:17 PM
:cheering: Woohoo! I have Celedon in hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is my first fancy yarn purchase!

I can't believe how small these are, I can't believe it will only take 6 to make the shawl! :happydance: I can't wait. I am furiously trying to finish the Textured Cotton Chenille Sweatshirt (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=376362) so I can get this started!
:X:

Arielluria
03-12-2007, 09:18 PM
So can anyone tell me if I NEED to make a gauge swatch? If I'm using the exact yarn that the pattern recommends and the same sized needles???????????????????

IrishKnitter
03-12-2007, 09:32 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: Yay--you chose your color! I'm not knitting the shawl, but I remember your tough decision with all those gorgeous colors of yarn.

I'll be checking in to see how it looks knit up!

irish_leeny
03-14-2007, 08:29 AM
I didn't make a gauge swatch. I know, shame on me. I used the recommended size needles (My Denise's...best needles EVER) and just about every last bit of those six balls of yarn.

Keep in mind that when you're knitting the shawl, it doesn't look that big. However, when you block the thing, it turns into The Shawl That Ate New York. It is HUGE!

Arielluria
03-14-2007, 10:00 AM
Keep in mind that when you're knitting the shawl, it doesn't look that big. However, when you block the thing, it turns into The Shawl That Ate New York. It is HUGE! :roflhard: Thanks for the tip. I hope the same thing happens to my Textured Chenille Sweatshirt (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=376362), it's looking mighty small! :shifty:

CarolPa2001
03-16-2007, 11:33 AM
Can someone please explain or maybe elaborate on how to do the picot bind-off other than the way it is explained in the pattern??? I'm hitting a blank wall for understanding the directions. Now you have to understand as I explained before this is my first shawl and I'm new to knitting and have never had to do anything but a plain bind off. I'm a visual learner and find this for some reason hard to understand. I finished the shawl last night and it has turned out quite nicely. I taught myself K2tog, ssk,and yo which were all new stitches. Oh and I can't forget lifelines... they were so important for me. LOL

Really any information would be greatly appreciated. Maybe I should just walk away and come back later to it but I'm impatient to be this close and not being able to finish.

Thanks,
Carol

Arielluria
03-16-2007, 11:57 AM
:cheering: Hooray for you! Don't walk away, someone here will help you! I haven't even started mine yet. Post a picture when you do. I'm fairly new at this too and since I haven't even started yet, I hesitate to try to help because I may lead you astray.

Arielluria
03-17-2007, 10:52 AM
I just started mine this morning. So far it's a nice rounded shape, and the directions are easy, but i'm NOT seeing the design at all. For those of you who have done or are longer along than myself, does the YO design start to show up with more weight/washing and/or draping over the body?

irish_leeny
03-20-2007, 03:42 PM
Yes! The yarn overs do show. Blocking does amazing things to this shawl.

Arielluria
03-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Thanks!!!!!!!!! I was startig to worry. It's also curling quite a bit, did yours do that? See pic below.

RiverDaughter
03-20-2007, 09:54 PM
Oh wow, this sawl was EXACTLY the pattern I was looking for to mtch a sleeveless dress I have!

ElenTikvah
03-20-2007, 10:21 PM
Well, I love this shawl...and it looks really complicated, but I may consider trying it out.

One question tho...I'm new to this forum, and relatively new to knitting...how long will this KA last...is there a time limit to when I can start the shawl?

Thanks!

~Lea

RiverDaughter
03-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Actually, I do have one question myself, about the beginning.

Next row, K3, pick up and knit 1 st in each of the 9 garter ridges along selvedge edge of piece, unzip waste yarn chain to expose 3 sts at base of the piece, place these 3 sts onto left needle, K3. (15 sts total)

So, you knit 18 rows of three stitches. That I get, though I don't see where in teh shawl they did that, but what is a selvedge, and, from then on, which side are you knitting on? You have two different sides going, don't you? It sounds amazingly complicated, and I can't wrap my brain around it no matte how hard I try. :pout:

And the pattern doesn't tell when to switch from the straight knitting needles to the circular ones. :pout: Why couldn't they have just written the pattern with large, overly obvious notes for those of us who just don't get it on occasion? :pout:

Arielluria
03-21-2007, 04:31 PM
Well, I love this shawl...and it looks really complicated, but I may consider trying it out.

One question tho...I'm new to this forum, and relatively new to knitting...how long will this KA last...is there a time limit to when I can start the shawl?

Thanks!

~LeaI'm pretty new at this too, and it IS simple! Go for it. No time limit. It's an informal KA, because I KNEW others would be interested.

Arielluria
03-21-2007, 04:38 PM
Actually, I do have one question myself, about the beginning.

Next row, K3, pick up and knit 1 st in each of the 9 garter ridges along selvedge edge of piece, unzip waste yarn chain to expose 3 sts at base of the piece, place these 3 sts onto left needle, K3. (15 sts total)

So, you knit 18 rows of three stitches. That I get, though I don't see where in teh shawl they did that, but what is a selvedge, and, from then on, which side are you knitting on? You have two different sides going, don't you? It sounds amazingly complicated, and I can't wrap my brain around it no matte how hard I try. :pout:

And the pattern doesn't tell when to switch from the straight knitting needles to the circular ones. :pout: Why couldn't they have just written the pattern with large, overly obvious notes for those of us who just don't get it on occasion? :pout:

I had a little trouble with that myself, but it's actually simple. The 3 on the crochet waste yarn just sit there until you do your 18 rows, which gives you the beginning garter edge, then you just slip the 3 first stitches on the needle and what it does is create the bottom corner of the shawl. Look at my pic above, it's the bottom (lowest) end.

I hope that makes sense.

RiverDaughter
03-22-2007, 01:49 AM
Actually, that did make sense. And a fried did a rough sketch for me online, too, to help, as he knows it's easier for me to see than to read sometimmes. :lol: I did not know he was a knitter, but I do now! :roflhard:

ElenTikvah
03-27-2007, 09:09 PM
I'm really wanting to try this shawl...but I'm thinking about using alpaca instead of wool, in worsted weight...like this Peruvian Pure Alpaca (http://www.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=elann%2Ecom+Peruvian+Pure+Alp aca&Season=&Company=&Cat=&ProductType=5&OrderBy=&Count=7). Do you think it will turn out ok? I have never worked with natural fibers before, and I just don't really like wool...but I'm intrigued with alpaca, and I hope that it will work.

Plus, I have to wait for my next paycheck anyway! :P

~Tik

Edited to fix the URL text.

Arielluria
03-28-2007, 11:17 AM
I can't answer your question I'm new too. I'm sure someone else here will. Nice to have you join us............I can't wait to see ALL the finished FOs!

I had to frog mine last week. I got the idea that I was doing my knit stitches wrong (I do my yarn under to over but since no one ever taught me to knit I thought for some strange reason it was supposed to be over to under........plus I knit continental and combination so I didn't know if that made a difference :wall: ).........Confused? Here's a thread about Knitting the wrong way? (there is a difference!) (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28967&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=).............SOOOOOOOOO I changed my knit stitch to carry the thread over to under and it made the stitch tighter, but it also twisted it :doh: so I did a test patch doing both ways and realized I had to frog the whole thing. Not too bad, I was only about 45 rows into it. Once I restarted the holes in the lace are MUCH more noticeable! I'm loving it much more. I'll post a picture later.

irish_leeny
03-30-2007, 10:58 AM
Arielluria: A little bit...it will all straighten out. It was "bubbly" too when I was knitting it...I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Love your color selection :) I am sorry you had trouble with it, but you will be so gld you made it in the end!!!

RiverDaughter: You do knit 18 rows os three stitches each. when you're done with this row, you rip out the crochet cast-on and put those three un-zipped stitches on your needle. And don't bother with the straight needles. Use a circular for the whole thing.

ElenTikvah: Alpaca would be nice, but keep in mind it's extremely warm! It would be great in the winter months.

ElenTikvah
03-30-2007, 03:46 PM
ElenTikvah: Alpaca would be nice, but keep in mind it's extremely warm! It would be great in the winter months.

Honestly, that sounds perfect then! I have recently moved from Texas to Wisconsin...so I really like warm things!

~Tik

Arielluria
03-30-2007, 04:37 PM
Wasn't Texas warm enough for ya?!? :eyebrow: (I'm near Houston)

ElenTikvah
03-31-2007, 06:06 PM
Wasn't Texas warm enough for ya?!? :eyebrow:

Actually it was too warm for my hunny...and I got a great job at a medical clinic in Wisconsin...so we migrated! I'm quite happy that I've survived my first winter here...YAY SPRING! :cheering:

~Tik

PS. I got my paycheck on Friday, so now I just have to finalize my color decision...oh the choices!

Oh, I love petfinder.com too! We adopted two puppies through petfinder in November and December...our little fur babies, Twila & Starla!

Arielluria
04-02-2007, 01:27 PM
:cheering: :heart: :cheering:
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should share on this post:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=424620

Mine's pics are on the bottom of pg. 5 ;)

surannee
04-03-2007, 12:22 PM
Hi everyone... I was wondering if I could join your KAL... I know I'm a little late, but I started knitting this shawl a few days ago and I thought it would be neat to talk to others who were knitting it. Also, I think I've got the pattern, including how to start, pretty figure out, so I'll happily tackle any questions if I know the answers. :heart: Caitlin

Arielluria
04-03-2007, 01:22 PM
Welcome to the KAL Caitlin! Of course you can join, I started the thread and I've barely started the shawl myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What color are you making???????????

Does everyone's look as "wonky" [that's a technical term ;)] as mine? (below):
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/img_9281_sm.jpg

surannee
04-03-2007, 06:58 PM
I'm using elann's Highland Wool in bisque. It's sort of an oatmeal color, less white than in the picture. It's going to be a gift, so it's not my color choice, but it looks nice. I'm at about 2.5 repeats of chart 2 right now. It's going really well. Not too wonky! At least, nothing that blocking wont perfect. It's a bit bunched up there at the top/neck, but that stuff will get even when you soak and pin the finished piece. Details on my blog, http://knittabunny.blogspot.com/

Arielluria
04-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the pic! Looks like mine will hopefully look like soon! Like your blog too, I put a link to it on mine.

RiverDaughter
04-04-2007, 03:44 AM
It looks beautiful so far, Sura. I've only started on chart 2 for the third time now myself, but my pattern isn't as wonderfully defined as yours. But I'm using the dark red instead.

I'll have my bosses taunting me for years about Little Red Riding Hood at the rate I'm going. :roflhard:

ElenTikvah
04-04-2007, 06:07 PM
Well, I finally chose...and ordered the alpaca yarn. So, I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival. I'm so glad to have my cousin's baby blanket to keep my fingers busy!

I decided to get the color Jasper (http://www.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=elann%2Ecom+Peruvian+Pure+Alp aca&Season=&Company=&Cat=ALLY&ProductType=5&OrderBy=&Count=41). I am excited...just hope that I handle the new yarn type alright, and that the pattern is really as simple as folks say...!

~Tik

Arielluria
04-04-2007, 06:33 PM
:muah: Love the color! I'm on row 25 of mine. :happydance:

CarolPa2001
04-06-2007, 10:14 AM
I'm finally finished!! I've muttled my way through my first lace shawl and have really enjoyed every moment of it. This has been a great learning experience (look back at my previous posts). This was also my first blocking experience which I hope will be faster on my next shawl. I couldn't wait and started the "Kiri Shawl" with a variegated mohair yarn from Australia another first since I've never used mohair before. Thanks to all for the help.

Arielluria
04-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Ooooooohhhhhhhhh, I'm so jealous!!!!!!!! It's beautiful! What color is that?!?

Please include a link to the Kiri Shawl, I'd like to see it.

:muah:

CarolPa2001
04-06-2007, 07:11 PM
The Kiri Shawl is a free pattern and is working up quite nicely. What I mean by that is I haven't run across anything that's given me a problem, as of yet. You can see it here: http://www.alltangledup.com/movabletype/my_images/my_patterns/kiri.pdf

As for the color of the Sunray it is called Granite sort of a grayish beige. It's by TeAwa Wools from New Zealand. I had 3 hanks of this and I only used 2/3 of one hank. Guess I'll have to find out what to do with the rest.

Lu and Caitl your shawls are coming out quite nicely. I love seeing pics of them. Isn't this so much fun. I am hooked on lace and knitting now!!!!
Carol

ElenTikvah
04-11-2007, 08:15 PM
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1609/8560841/16044294/245097598.jpg

Here's my yarn...I'm so excited! I just love the feel of the alpaca!

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1609/8560841/16044294/245097558.jpg

Here's the first bit of progress on my shawl...now I have two projects OTN, and that's not counting the Fiber Trend Clogs that I want to make!

~Tik

Arielluria
04-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Niiiiiiice. I love the color. I almost went with something like that, I'm big into wearing blue, looks good on me ;), but there were soooooo many beautiful colors (as you can tell by my earlier posts) it was a very hard decision to make. I can't wait to see yours. I'm almost done with that chemo cap so I can REALLY concentrate on the shawl now.

NinaT
04-15-2007, 05:12 PM
Has anyone tried to do this in a cotton? I was tempted to use Elann's Sonata to match tank I was going to make. Any hints or suggestions?

Arielluria
04-17-2007, 08:42 PM
No reply on this yet? Maybe you can post a separate thread and link to this one so everyone on KH will see it and someone with experience can answer?

surannee
04-19-2007, 12:06 PM
I really can't see why Sonata would be a problem. It would be a much more open fabric because Sonata is a finer guage yarn, but you could adjust for that. The feel of the shawl in wool is fairly bulky so the thinner gotton would be more summery.

irish_leeny
04-24-2007, 03:06 PM
The finished shawl is B-E-A-U-tiful!

I think it would be really nice in cotton; I wish I had one in cotton so I could wear it in the summer months!

-colleen

NinaT
04-24-2007, 05:41 PM
I'm going to try making this with Sonata or Esprit. I'll use a slightly smaller needle to account for the smaller yarn. Also, if I think it's going to be too small I'll add a couple of extra repeats.

Arielluria
04-24-2007, 08:43 PM
I FINALLY got a chance to do a few rows on mine today.......I'm up to row 29 I think. It's looking great!

Arielluria
04-30-2007, 08:21 PM
Did anyone have trouble with row 27? I'm on my 2nd repeat of the pattern and it seems like the first time around I had a problem too. The yo's and the center yo, k1, yo also don't line up. I thought my marker on the page was moved, so tinked the row and tried row 29 instead but that didn't work either............ :??

I'm still pretty new at this, it's probably just me, but I would like to know if you had a problem too.

Arielluria
04-30-2007, 08:32 PM
FALSE ALARM............all's well with row 27! I don't know WHAT I was doing!!!!!! Maybe I've been knitting too long, we're having a bad storm and my doggies were scared (even the ones that aren't usually afraid of storms) so I sat down to knit and comfort them.

surannee
05-06-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm almost done! This has taken me forever because I'm in the middle of finishing up my Bachelors Degree... last paper ever due this week... (eek!) but I still find time to knit. I started binding off yesterday. Pictures on my blog (http://knittabunny.blogspot.com/), if you want to see... I'm so sick of this oatmeal color, but I'm making it for my boyfriend's mom and that's what she requested. Anyway... if I can find a place to block it the shawl will be finished soon.

Arielluria
05-07-2007, 10:14 AM
:cheering: That looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!! I'm about halfway through mine (I'm about where you were on your April 3rd blog post), and I can't wait to get to the blocking stage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a great job you did! Are you giving it to her for mother's day? I made my mom my first pair of socks (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=449536), but I couldn't wait another week to give it to her - I gave it last Sunday! ;)

surannee
05-07-2007, 03:52 PM
The finished shawl, finally. More on the blog, of course. Next I'm going to tackle http://www.elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=111024 anyone want to join me? It looks a LOT more complicated but there's a knitalong on yahoo groups.

Arielluria
05-07-2007, 07:36 PM
:cheering: Weeeeeeeelllllllllll done! You look gorgeous in it! That other Elann one I have seen, and is veeeeeeery tempting! Perhaps I might make it next for my mom.........make a good Christmas present. ;)

Arielluria
05-29-2007, 09:06 AM
I'm finished with my repeats, I can't WAIT to block it!
:woohoo:
I'm having trouble with the bind off. First of all, the directions say to do 6 K rows for a garter stitch edge at the top, BUT the picture below looks different, there's a lacy row and 4 k rows it looks like.

ALSO, I did the repeat 5 times (directions say 5 or 6 times. They should REALLY be SPECIFIC when you have an exact amount of yarn to use!!!!!!!!!) and I don't have enough to do the picot bindoff!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darn!

P.S.: Here's a picture of what the top part of the shawl is supposed to look like. Also, it doesn't look like the "picot" part is there, only along the sides...........AND what the heck is the crochet hook needed for if we are to do it with needles!!!!!!! Aaaaaargh!
http://www.elann.com/images/image1/sunray1.jpg

ElenTikvah
05-29-2007, 06:46 PM
I wish that I could help you with the bind off, but I'm not nearly so far...real life as taken my time the last several weeks, but I'm so glad that you are nearly finished!

~Tik

Arielluria
05-30-2007, 10:13 AM
Thanks, don't you hate it when life gets in the way of knitting?!?
I saw your blog and loved it, especially your pups.........in case you can't tell, that's my 3rd biggest passion (after my DH and knitting).

irish_leeny
05-31-2007, 10:02 AM
A-
You don't use the crochet hook to do the picot bind off, I remember it just being all needles.

In my opinion, the picot edging adds a comment-able bind-off...people I know,mostly knitters, comment on it. However, I am not so fond of it- I did it to learn a new skill, but I like things simpler (just my taste).

Anyhow, to make a long comment short, I think if you don't have enough yarn to do the picot bind off...don't do it! I think it will look great and simple and understated with clean lines! Plus, and I'm being selfish, I'd love to see how one turns out without the picots!

best,
colleen

ElenTikvah
05-31-2007, 11:47 PM
ok, well, I know that I'm not to the edging yet...but reading the pattern, looking at the pictures and then my own beginning, it appears that the provisional cast on is the top/shoulders of the shawl, and the 6 rows of garter stitch form the base of the picot bind-off which is the last row of the shawl, and does run the length of the base of the shawl. Remember this shawl is knit from the top, down.

Now, I may be all wet, but that's how it reads and looks to me...

FYI, the crochet hook appears to have only been used at the beginning for the chain to start the provisional cast on. <shrugs>

Just my two cents...

~Tik

Arielluria
06-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks both! I remembered later what the crochet hook was for waaaaaaaaay back at the beginning. The picot edge looked (first time I saw it) so crochet-like that I assumed before I started that was what the hook was for.

I haven't had a chance to work on it for the last few days because I'm sooooo excited about my first pattern..........hope it works out. I may have chosen a less than optimum yarn and have to start over. It's a dog sweater, and I can't wait to share it.

Arielluria
06-02-2007, 10:29 AM
How's y'all progress on the shawl?

I figured out that I went too far with my repeats, which is why I ran out of yarn, I'm going to frog a bit today and hopefully finish the edge and block this weekend.

I'm sooooooooooo excited!
:woohoo:

Arielluria
06-04-2007, 10:51 AM
:woohoo::cheering::woohoo:
FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That picot bindoff was actually quite easy..........the hardest part was remembering to keep it loose especially while watching one my favorite action movies (Aliens) ;)

Now to block!
:flirt:

Arielluria
06-04-2007, 10:52 AM
Any special tips on blocking this???????
It's my first shawl, and one of my first pieces ever, so I don't want to goof it up.:rollseyes:

Arielluria
06-06-2007, 03:11 PM
I'm blocking! .............. why do I want to say that with a valley girl accent? :roflhard:

I ended up with 1 too many picots! :wall: It's always something isn't it?!? Oh well, I don't think anyone would notice. And yes, I counted all the others, between each stretched picot are 4 picots.

ElenTikvah
06-10-2007, 02:43 AM
Well, I've been outta state for a week, without internet access...and an entire week of listening to lectures... BORING! ...but it gives LOTSA time to knit, so I'm pleased to say that I've nearly completed my shawl! I'm so excited! I bought some extra yarn, so I'm done a couple of extra repeats, so mine will be a little big, but that's good for me. :) I have a few more rows to go, then the picot bind-off ... then the blocking. :/

I'll be watching here for any hints...! :P

~Tik

ElenTikvah
06-10-2007, 03:17 AM
Oh, thinking back, I remembered reading an example of how to block, on another of the KA's threads. Here is the post, http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showpost.php?p=826358&postcount=37 (How ever do I link that, instead of showing the WHOLE url? *shrugs*)

Anyway, disregarding the specific instructions about the sweater, it might be a help for us both!

Oh, I'll try to get some pics of my shawl's progress tomorrow...

~Tik

PS. There is NO place like home...!

Arielluria
06-11-2007, 12:51 PM
Way to go! I'll try to post my finished shawl (wearing) today!

SOMEONE gave me a great link for lace blocking (http://www.knitpicks.com/laceblocking.pdf).

Arielluria
06-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Here is the post, http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showpost.php?p=826358&postcount=37 (How ever do I link that, instead of showing the WHOLE url? *shrugs*)Just highlight the word(s) you want to be the link, such as "sweater" or whatever, then lick above the reply box the little round blue circle that has 2 chain links in front of it. A box will pop up and you can paste the link location into it. Very cool.

ElenTikvah
06-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Lovely site for blocking instructions! Thanks so much! I'll saved it for future reference too...now I'm wondering if I want a blocking frame, as the ability to display a completed piece would be really cool...tho first rule, check the price! *runs off to complete a price check* ETA: ACK! Now it is time to pick up a drillgun...I am SO not a handyman! :P

Thanks for the instructions! It seems that each forum is a little different, but I appreciate the how-to!

Still trying to finish my last few rows...I'm afraid this thing is gonna be monstrously big, but at least I won't have to worry about it being too small! :P

Looking forward to pictures!

Oh, Arielluria, you planning on joining any other KA's? Just curious. :P

~Tik

Arielluria
06-11-2007, 03:58 PM
I started another one, it's for a summer top (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=58785&page=5)........I started it twice, so I'm sorry if it's confusing. Go to post #43 to see which one I'm making. I don't even have the yarn yet, it just started in case you want to join us.
;)

Lovely site for blocking instructions! Thanks so much! I'll saved it for future reference too...now I'm wondering if I want a blocking frame, as the ability to display a completed piece would be really cool...tho first rule, check the price! *runs off to complete a price check* ETA: ACK! Now it is time to pick up a drillgun...I am SO not a handyman! :P

Thanks for the instructions! It seems that each forum is a little different, but I appreciate the how-to!

Still trying to finish my last few rows...I'm afraid this thing is gonna be monstrously big, but at least I won't have to worry about it being too small! :P

Looking forward to pictures!

Oh, Arielluria, you planning on joining any other KA's? Just curious. :P

~Tik

ElenTikvah
06-11-2007, 11:25 PM
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1609/8560841/16044294/259510627.jpg

Well, two months to the day, and a complete baby blanket later, I am finally nearing completion on my Sun Ray Shawl! I'm so excited! I have just a handful of rows to complete before the bind-off, but I just wanted to show my progress...and did I say this was MONSTROUS??? :P

Oh, note to self, the little holes in the cables make adding the extenders MUCH easier! :roflhard:

~Tik

Arielluria
06-12-2007, 12:45 PM
:cheering:Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ElenTikvah
06-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Ok, I need a bit of help...I just don't get the bind-off, is it a 4-stitch repeat or 5-stitch?

~Tik

Arielluria
06-12-2007, 09:58 PM
Well, it's 4........it reads:
Picot bind-off: Insert the right-hand needle into the first stitch on the left-hand (LH) needle, and knit a stitch but do not slip the stitch off the left needle. Slip the new stitch back onto the LH needle, then make a second new stitch as before. Cast off four stitches, then slip the remaining stitch back onto the LH needle. Repeat along the row, making two stitches and casting off four each time.
You k1 and then put it back on the left needle
then
k1 and put it back on the needle again
[this means you sort of made 2 stitches]
so then
c.o. 4 times, which gives you those picots.

Does that make sense??????
xxx

ElenTikvah
06-12-2007, 10:07 PM
yeah, i think so...let me play with it... :P thanks! ~Tik

Arielluria
06-14-2007, 10:47 AM
:woohoo:Here it is.......modeled by my beautiful mother!

ADAllen
06-14-2007, 11:28 AM
great job! that beautiful shawl and your beautiful mother make a great pair!

ElenTikvah
06-17-2007, 07:26 PM
Well, I have to say, the last few days have VERY frustrating for me with this project.

A ill-fated attmept to frog a portion and a couple of silly puppies resulted in me having lost my whole line of stitching...with little hope of recovery. After frogging an entire skein off, I put it up in frustration...and left it alone.

I picked it up intermittently and always put it up, because it just seemed impossible.

Today, I thought that I'd just frog the entire shawl and re-knit it...after another skein frogged out, I realized that the stitches were easy to see and maybe capture with a small needle...so I tried again...FINALLY, the stitch line is back on my circulars.

Now, just to make sure that I have all the stitches there...but it's looking good! I'm so happy...I thought that I was gonna have to start all over. :( I'm so glad that I don't!

More progress notes later!

~Tik

ElenTikvah
06-17-2007, 11:23 PM
Well, I am most fortunate...I have picked up the correct number of stitches and I have successfully completed the pattern of the shawl. I only have the last 6 rows and the picot bind-off!

I am SO glad that I didn't have to frog the whole thing!

Oh, if I haven't said so already, I love my Denise Interchangeable Needles! hehe

More later!

~Tik

Arielluria
06-18-2007, 01:40 PM
Glad to hear you didn't frog the whole thing. I know I did a lot of frogging on this project, but almost exclusively because I wasn't paying attention to what I had done the row(s) before.

Can't wait to see yours after it's blocked! Did you get the picot bindoff directions? It's truly easy.

ElenTikvah
06-18-2007, 02:28 PM
Yeah, I think I understand them...Just need to try it now. Still have a couple of garter rows, then the bind-off! I'll try to post pics when I have it off the needles. Not sure when I'll get the blocking done...

I had to tink a bit on this project, but that frogging was disasterous! I'm just glad that I got it back on the needles...I did learn several things...especially important....LIFELINE!!!

~Tik

Arielluria
06-18-2007, 03:50 PM
Yeah, I thought of posting something before, and should have......re frogging this. I found the best was on a RS row, the WS rows are easy to miss the purls to the YOs. Personally I found it easiest to frog so that I am putting the RS stitches back on.

Once done, it's easy to figure out what row you were on by simply seeing if your YO lines up with the last one (they are always on a slant so by lining up I mean that it follows the diagonal line).
xxx

ElenTikvah
06-18-2007, 05:58 PM
*grins* I actually found it easier to pick up the stitches on the purl side! Isn't that funny! :D Otherwise, I could never get the YO on the needle correctly again...just too frustrating for me. I could see the purls there more easily than the actual YO. *shrugs*

~Tik

Arielluria
06-18-2007, 06:02 PM
LOL, different strokes I guess. I found it too easy to lose my purls on the lose YOs. I've learned every knit stitch, YO included, has front of yarn to the right (as you are looking at the needle) and back yarn is to the left........which opens up the stitch when you insert needle for that knit stitch.......so that made it easy for me.

It's nice to know what works for some doesn't for others and vice versa!

ElenTikvah
06-18-2007, 10:53 PM
Well, this bind-off is definately not on my favorite list...I really don't like it.

It seems flexible, which is nice, but I just really don't like doing it...I can't believe I have a gazillion stitches to bind off with it... *sighs*

~Tik

ElenTikvah
06-20-2007, 01:37 PM
Things are going better here...I changed my right-hand needle to an 8, which is making the picots slightly smaller, but I can control the bind-off more easily. :)

~Tik

nannie343
08-08-2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks to Lu !!!!! I think I finally understand the 15-34 row repeat...we'll see when I get there. I'm still waiting for my yarn from Elann and my Options from Knit Picks, KP said has been shipped! Anyone wanting to join welcome. I'm very new to knitting so we'll see. Thanks again LU.

Nannie343

Arielluria
08-08-2007, 12:36 PM
:muah:You are MOST welcome! Anytime! :muah:

NinaT
08-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Lu,
I was just wondering how many repeats you did? I saw that someone didn't have enough yarn to finish and I definitely don't want that to happen:oo:! Was it a close call? I was knitting at my friend's house and her cat chewed through some of my yarn and so I lost 3 or 4 yards. :roll: Now I'm nervous!

Arielluria
08-21-2007, 12:16 PM
If you're using the yarn the pattern recommends as I did, 3 or 4 yards won't hurt you, I'm sure I ended up with about 10 yards left after 5 repeats. I wadded up my leftover yarn into about a 2.5" ball. You get nervous when you see it coming to the end of the last one but 5 repeats is what I did. If I wanted to do 6 I would DEFINITELY need another skein.

Post your pic here when you finish! ;)

NinaT
08-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Thanks Lu!
I'm half way through repeat 5 and I still have 2 1/2 skeins left. I wasn't sure how much was needed for just the 6 garter stitch rows and picot bind-off. I think I'll take your advice and just do the five repeats. It sounds like even with just five repeats it was plenty big!

Arielluria
08-21-2007, 07:20 PM
Nina, I just checked my shawl to make sure, it was 6 repeats, not 5. See my blocking pic on pg. 10 (post 94 or 95 I think). If you click on it and enlarge it you can count and compare to yours and how many repeats you've done.

When you said you had 2 1/2 skeins left it made me think I might have done 6 repeats, because that seems like way too much yarn left over.

Let me know what you figure after you see the blocking photo.