PDA

View Full Version : My So Called Scarf KAL?

simplethings
02-12-2007, 04:23 AM
Anyone looking to knit up My So Called Scarf (http://www.sheepinthecity.prettyposies.com/archives/000079.html) with me?
I'm hoping to finish two before winter ends! I've already bought 4 skeins of Manos.

itsjustmeghan
02-12-2007, 10:38 AM
i'm in!
i just started mine on monday last week. i don't have a really verigated manos. it's supposed to be solid, but there are some variations in there. it's knitting up pretty nice. i changed the pattern and made the scarf a little skinnier.
i'm hoping to finish it this week and mail it off to my friend in alaska as a belated birthday present.
i'm about 1/3 of the length i want right now.

a KAL will help me stay on track and finish the darn thing!!!

and then maybe i'll buy some of the pretty verigated manos to knit anotherone. :oops: :teehee:

Jillle
02-12-2007, 10:39 AM
This scarf is on my "want to knit" list. I'll join you, although I might not start right away. :cheering:

simplethings
02-12-2007, 11:56 PM
Thanks for joining! :hug:

I've frogged MSCS 4 times already! My edges havn't been turning out very neat.
The first two times I did the pattern as is. Too messy.
The third time I added a stitch on either side that I slipped at the start of a row and knitted at the end. That turned out cleaner but it really deviated from the flow of the pattern.
The fourth time I only added one stitch thinking I could just slip it at the start of a row... I completely miscalculated and it TOTALLY threw off the pattern rows. :shock:
Now I'm slipping the first stitch of the knit row knit-wise, and the last stitch of the same knit row purl-wise. It's working out really well and I have at least a good foot of the scarf! FINALLY. :happydance:

suzeeq
02-13-2007, 12:48 AM
I found the edge stitches can be kinda loose unless you tighten them up. With the crossed stitches though, they're not like the usualy edge.

sue

simplethings
02-14-2007, 07:17 PM
here's how it's looking so far.

originally i started with manos del uruguay: mulled wine.
i was knitting from 2 skeins since they were so different, but, the swapping edge became too tight and started to pucker. i decided that this wasn't a color i would wear and that i wasn't going to spend countless hours finishing it. so, i decided to start again in a new colorway.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/142/390548597_9b91a1913c.jpg

MSCS is so hard to frog. but, yeah, that's what's left of it.
the new colorway i bought was stellar. i chose really similar skeins so i decided to only knit from one... i'm halfway done with the first ball and.. just to be safe i've decided to start knitting from both.
after the many froggings i found that slipping the first and last stitches on the knit row definitely works. see how clean my edges look? :happydance:
i currently have a good 24 inches!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/143/390550372_263765025d.jpg

i love working the knit side. for some reason it just flows out of my hands.
the purl side though has been giving me some trouble. all in all i'm pretty happy with how's it coming along.

Jillle
02-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Looks great! :cheering: The colorway on the second scarf really shows off the stitch pattern. I haven't seen that one at my LYS. I'll have to ask for it.
BTW-Did you add 2 stitches, then slip them on the knit side? I'm doing a scarf with a chain edge and I slip them purlwise and knit them on the other side.

simplethings
02-15-2007, 01:34 PM
BTW-Did you add 2 stitches, then slip them on the knit side? I'm doing a scarf with a chain edge and I slip them purlwise and knit them on the other side.

i actually just left the pattern how it was.
so, i cast on 30 stitches... and then on the row where you do the slips and knits i actually slip the first stitch knit-wise. and then at the end of the knit row i slip the last stitch purl-wise.
so the row looks like this:

Row 1: sl1k, *sl 1, K1, psso but before dropping the slipped stitch from the left needle, knit into the back of it* repeat until there is one stitch left, sl1p

The purl row is the same. It's been working out really well.

Oh! Just in case: the color # for the blue/gold one is 110. it's called stellar.
The purple/gold onen is #118 mulled wine.

Jillle
02-15-2007, 07:29 PM
Thank you for all the info! I have some Manos left over from a hat I made. I think I'll try it out. (Also, I checked out your blog. Beautiful photography.) :heart:

Jillle
02-15-2007, 11:37 PM
Well, I tried it out...and to my surprise...it worked! Yay! :cheering: It may take me awhile, as I have a few things OTN's.

simplethings
02-16-2007, 01:22 AM
Well, I tried it out...and to my surprise...it worked! Yay! :cheering: It may take me awhile, as I have a few things OTN's.

wow, really nice looking! your stitches look so much more defined than mine. yours seem more... round.. my look flat. :pout:

what colorway is that? i really like it.

Jillle
02-16-2007, 11:32 AM
wow, really nice looking! your stitches look so much more defined than mine. yours seem more... round.. my look flat. :pout:

what colorway is that? i really like it.

Thanks! I think the stitches look a little different in the photo, because of the flash. It made them kind of pop out!

The colorway is Lava, 105.

itsjustmeghan
02-16-2007, 07:40 PM
wow!!! i'm totally jealous, because i'm halfway done with my scarf, and my edges aren't nice like yours...i thouht about taking a crochet hook and going along the edges just to clean them up...
i did a solid manos colorway in blue. the stitches still show up nicely because of the variations in the thickness of he yarn itself.

i was hoping to finish it this week, but i got sick...and then my yarn came for the wicked sweater i'm starting...so my so called scarf sat to the side :oops:

iwaly444
02-16-2007, 08:39 PM
hi
i posted in the help section, then i thot to try here....
is anyone having problems getting the sts to sit properly once there is a mistake? i have frogged so many times & i had a good bit knit cuz i was having the darndest time fixing when i ripped?
any help?
peace&blessings

simplethings
02-16-2007, 08:57 PM
wow!!! i'm totally jealous, because i'm halfway done with my scarf, and my edges aren't nice like yours...i thouht about taking a crochet hook and going along the edges just to clean them up...
i did a solid manos colorway in blue. the stitches still show up nicely because of the variations in the thickness of he yarn itself.

i was hoping to finish it this week, but i got sick...and then my yarn came for the wicked sweater i'm starting...so my so called scarf sat to the side :oops:

if i knew how to crochet i would definitely add a crochet border to MSCS.

hope you feel better!

simplethings
02-16-2007, 11:09 PM
hi
i posted in the help section, then i thot to try here....
is anyone having problems getting the sts to sit properly once there is a mistake? i have frogged so many times & i had a good bit knit cuz i was having the darndest time fixing when i ripped?
any help?
peace&blessings

i just ripped back a few rows and i tried to put the stitches back onto the needle but it didn't really sit the right way either. i decided to keep on going with the pattern and the ripped row looks only slightly different. it blends in pretty well so i'm not going to worry about it.

i really couldn't figure out the best way to put the stitches on the needle correctly. sorry!
the last time i tried MSCS i quit early because i dropped a stitch and couldn't figure out how to get it back. :pout:

simplethings
02-26-2007, 02:39 AM
finally finished MSCS! i'll post pictures once i take them.
it was a long road, but, i got to the end. once the first skein ran out i found this new drive to finish, and, i did.

the bind off was a little weird though. i did the typical k1 pass previous stitch over kind of bind off and it made the edge flare out... so i ended up knitting 2 together and then passing the previous stitch over all the way down and it kept the end in line with the rest of the scarf.

i'm considering blocking, but, i don't really know where i could block such a long scarf.
i'm also wanting to give it a wash because it's surprisingly itchy. any ideas on what product i should use? i hear baby shampoo is good.

itsjustmeghan
02-26-2007, 11:43 PM
finally finished today! now i need to ship it off tomorrow. i hope she likes it! :D
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27425

:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Jillle
02-27-2007, 01:28 PM
simplethings and itsjustmeghan finished! :cheering: :cheering: Great job!

I've only done about 5 inches of mine. I'm having a really hard time with the purl side, so I stopped working on it. I don't know why its so slow for me! Did either of you have that problem?

BostonBecca
02-27-2007, 02:44 PM
I don't understand the instructions completely! Help! When doing the Psso, do you transfer that stitch (the slipped one) onto the left needle and then for the knitting into the back of the stitch, do you knit into the back of that stitch so you knit a stitch backwards onto the right needle with it?

suzeeq
02-27-2007, 03:46 PM
Another way to understand the psso and knit into the back of it is - Sl1, k1, yo, psso. It's the same thing and much easier than trying to figure out the other way.

sue

cando
02-27-2007, 04:32 PM
Hi!
I too am knitting the MSCS and am about 6" into it. Started about a week ago and have only frogged once to change needle size :)

I'm using a gorgeous bulky merino from handpaintedyarn.com in a color called bombon - a mix of yellow, chocolate and slight purples. Initially I cast on 24 sts on size 10 needles then quickly figured out I didn't want it to be so stiff. So now I'm working on size 13s with the same 24 cast on. It's4.5" wide and I plan to make it long and add a fringe. Here it is -

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/vinrao/Crafts/IMG_1609.jpg

What do you think? It's a gift, so honest.

I wish I'd read the edge technique earlier! I'm tightening the first stitch in an attempt to keep it neat, but I have to remember to do it everytime. Can I start the new slipping technique at this point or will it look too different?

For those of you with trouble understanding the pattern, here's an excellent video that demostrates how this scarf was knit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qenzg_-uAl0

Happy knitting!

~Cando
http://soxnsalsa.blogspot.com/

BostonBecca
02-27-2007, 09:00 PM
I have the stitches down now. I am going to use smaller needles however, because I am using this yarn : http://www.cascadeyarns.com/dive'-Fiamma.asp

The 11s are just too big and make for a very wide scarf with 30 stitches. It will look so much better with 8 or 9s. I'll post a picture once I have a few lines done.

itsjustmeghan
02-27-2007, 09:06 PM
on the purl side it did take a little bit longer. especially the first stitch.

for the slip stitch over and then knit into the back, i did slip it over to the left needle and then knit into the back of the stitch at first, but once i realized what i was doing, i'd just slip it over enough to get my right needle in the right place and then finish the knit stitch....hard to explain...this is definately a pattern that would be easier to show someone in person! hahaha

i like that handpainted color! very pretty!! and i'm very partial to long with fringe!

originally i was going to crochet and edge to neaten it up, but honestly you couldn't really see it enough to make it worth the yarn and the time....so i just left mine!

simplethings
02-28-2007, 02:05 AM
the purl side definitely slowed down my progress. maybe about halfway into the scarf it got significantly easier though. i think i subconsciously figured out a way to work the needles more efficiently. :shrug:

cando: i really like your yarn! the color is beautiful. i think it would make an awesome present.
i'm not sure if it's too late to start doing the edge-thing. maybe you can just add a life line and try it out for a few rows and if it looks different just frog back. =)

here are the pictures of my finished MSCS!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/129/405135234_4b2099b6bd.jpg

i used the recommended Manos Del Uruguay. it's a bit scratchy, so i'm trying to find a way to soften the fabric.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/177/405133098_533c1daa68.jpg

it ended up pretty long! that's how i like my scarves though. :cheering:
i think i'm gonna start another one soon.

MoniDew
02-28-2007, 09:44 PM
After seeing all those beautiful scarves, in all those interesting colorways, I decided to try one of my own. What do you think?
________
CHEVY WIKI (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Chevy_Wiki)

itsjustmeghan
02-28-2007, 10:02 PM
i love both of those scarves! beautiful colors!
i really like the multi yarn with this pattern. makes it really show the stitch pattern well and makes the colorchanges more interesting! :cheering:

now i want to make another one.... :wall: too many projects!

Friskums
02-28-2007, 10:23 PM
MoniDew, that's the best MSCS I've ever seen! The colors are fantastic with the stitch pattern.

What kind of yarn is that?

Dangles
03-03-2007, 03:59 AM
Yikes, makes me want to knit one too now ... 'cept I've got two projects at hand :wall:

Cando, thanks for the youtube link :thumbsup:

cando
03-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Wow, simplethings, I simply love the colors of your scarf. And the photography. It's stunning! I've heard that a gentle wash in Eucalan may reduce the scratchiness but I've never had occasion to try it myself. Hope you have some luck with that.

MoniDew, that is a lovely scarf you have, the stitch pattern shows up so nicely. What yarn are you using?

Dangles, you're welcome and I hope you cast on soon. Two projects is not too many to have on hand eh? :eyebrow:

MoniDew
03-04-2007, 08:34 PM
MoniDew, that's the best MSCS I've ever seen! The colors are fantastic with the stitch pattern.

Just a wool I picked up at LYS. I'm at my DD's house right now, but when I get back home, I'll fill you in on the details.
________
MARIJUANA VAPORIZER (http://weedvaporizers.org/)

Dangles
03-15-2007, 01:34 AM
Thanks, for the tip. Did you stick with the recommended needle size as well? How wide is the scarf on the recommended needles?

i actually just left the pattern how it was.
so, i cast on 30 stitches... and then on the row where you do the slips and knits i actually slip the first stitch knit-wise. and then at the end of the knit row i slip the last stitch purl-wise.
so the row looks like this:

Row 1: sl1k, *sl 1, K1, psso but before dropping the slipped stitch from the left needle, knit into the back of it* repeat until there is one stitch left, sl1p

The purl row is the same. It's been working out really well.

Oh! Just in case: the color # for the blue/gold one is 110. it's called stellar.
The purple/gold onen is #118 mulled wine.

cando
03-15-2007, 06:39 PM
simplethings, i have a question for you about the MSCS bind-off technique you mentioned earlier. Is it the same as the knit bind-off, except its a k2tog instead of k1?
Also, if you have a picture I'd love to see how your bind-off looks.

Thank you!

MoniDew
03-15-2007, 08:57 PM

It is Schaefer, Lola, I think the color is called bachelor pad. (?)
________
FORD F-4EAT TRANSMISSION HISTORY (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_F-4EAT_transmission)

simplethings
03-16-2007, 12:51 AM
Thanks, for the tip. Did you stick with the recommended needle size as well? How wide is the scarf on the recommended needles?

I used the recommended size 11 needles. I ended up with about 4.5 inches wide. I didn't block the scarf.

simplethings, i have a question for you about the MSCS bind-off technique you mentioned earlier. Is it the same as the knit bind-off, except its a k2tog instead of k1?
Also, if you have a picture I'd love to see how your bind-off looks.

The answer to your question is yes! =) It's the same just knit 2 together.
I don't have a picture of it right now, but, when I get the chance I'll make sure to take one.

cando
03-17-2007, 03:47 AM
The answer to your question is yes! =) It's the same just knit 2 together.
I don't have a picture of it right now, but, when I get the chance I'll make sure to take one.

Thank you SO much! I did it the way you suggested and it totally worked. No flaring :happydance:
Thanks!!

Dangles
03-18-2007, 12:02 AM
Dangles, you're welcome and I hope you cast on soon. Two projects is not too many to have on hand eh? :eyebrow:

Oi, I guess not. =) My DD's garter stitch "1st project" is 2/3 done and on hold as I work on DS's basket weave baby blanket. But before I cast on I need an 8mm needle and I've got to obtain another hank of #109 before I can begin. I walked in to a YS in the States and fondled my around and came upon Manos! Didn't even know they carried it and so I thought I would only need one hank. :oops: I would like to pick up the Caribe colour as well. #116 for to make for my friend. Let's see a picture of the finished product :D

Simplethings: Forgive me, but I am drawing a blank visual on your bind off and would like to do that when I get to that eventually *wink* Could you walk me through it step by step?

*I am trying to decide if I should hold out for the KPO set or get a 8mm Turbos. *

simplethings
03-18-2007, 01:56 AM
Simplethings: Forgive me, but I am drawing a blank visual on your bind off and would like to do that when I get to that eventually *wink* Could you walk me through it step by step?

hey dangles
it's basically just a basic knit bind off with knitting 2 together instead of just one (amy has a video of the basic knit bind off).

so the basic knit bind off would look like this:
k1, k1, pass previous stitch over (1 stitch remains on the right needle), k1, pass previous stitch over (1 stitch remains on the right needle), k1, pass previous stitch over, etc.

the bind off i used was like this:
k2tog, k2tog, pass previous stich over, k2tog, pass previous stitch over, k2tog, pass previous stitch over, etc.

hope that helps clarify everything!

Slim
03-19-2007, 09:48 AM
Did any of you fringe your MSCS? I've just finished my first one in Manos del Uruguay Eclipse (111) and the ends look a little . . . plain. I'd like to see photos of the ends, fringed and not, if anyone has them. I loved knitting this scarf -- did a lot of it sitting in a remote campsite in the desert within a literal stone's throw of the Rio Grande, so it carries a lot of good vibes. Starting another one in Adobe (119).

simplethings
03-19-2007, 10:10 PM
Did any of you fringe your MSCS? I've just finished my first one in Manos del Uruguay Eclipse (111) and the ends look a little . . . plain. I'd like to see photos of the ends, fringed and not, if anyone has them. I loved knitting this scarf -- did a lot of it sitting in a remote campsite in the desert within a literal stone's throw of the Rio Grande, so it carries a lot of good vibes. Starting another one in Adobe (119).

The ends of MSCS aren't very pretty... but, by the time I realized it I had knitted all of the yarn. :doh:
Maybe next time I'll add fringe.

Great color choices, btw!

Dangles
03-20-2007, 02:50 PM

hey dangles
it's basically just a basic knit bind off with knitting 2 together instead of just one (amy has a video of the basic knit bind off).

so the basic knit bind off would look like this:
k1, k1, pass previous stitch over (1 stitch remains on the right needle), k1, pass previous stitch over (1 stitch remains on the right needle), k1, pass previous stitch over, etc.

the bind off i used was like this:
k2tog, k2tog, pass previous stich over, k2tog, pass previous stitch over, k2tog, pass previous stitch over, etc.

hope that helps clarify everything!

That's what I figured. But I guess what flummoxed me was that K2tog = a decrease. I guess you bind off faster this way. I was trying to picture it. Thanks for the clarification.

Dangles
03-20-2007, 02:51 PM

The ends of MSCS aren't very pretty... but, by the time I realized it I had knitted all of the yarn. :doh:
Maybe next time I'll add fringe.

Great color choices, btw!

Hmm, should one do a couple rows of say seed st or garter stitch on each end then? :?? :??

cando
03-20-2007, 03:46 PM

I too felt the same way, so I'm going to fringe mine. I finished it last week, and will be blocking it today. Then I'll add the fringe. When I'm done, I'll post a picture of the final product and its ends.

cando
03-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Here is my finished scarf :

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/vinrao/Crafts/IMG_1893.jpg

Details on my blog (http://soxnsalsa.blogspot.com/2007/03/fo-my-so-called-scarf.html).

And here's a picture of the edges. The one on top is the bind-off edge and the one below it is the cast-on. See how the cast on flares a bit? I tried to keep it to a minimum while blocking but it still flares slightly. The bind-off on the other hand is perfect. Infact, I had to stretch it a little.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/vinrao/Crafts/IMG_1900.jpg

Jillle
03-23-2007, 05:47 PM
Cando-
Its gorgeous! :cheering: Great job. (Now, I just have to get off my butt and work on mine! :pout: )

Dangles
03-24-2007, 01:30 AM
Cando, great job. and nice colourway. :cheering: