PDA

View Full Version : Sonnet from Knitty

IrishKnitter
02-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Has anyone ever knit or have pictures of an FO of Sonnet from Knitty? Here's the link:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall03/PATTsonnet.html

It's rated "mellow" on their scale, and I'm thinking it might be an easy sweater to start with.

Do you have any other recommendations for an easy first sweater? Any input would be appreciated! :)

Thanks!

CateKnits
02-12-2007, 11:51 PM
I did Topsecret from Knitty for my first (well, second, but the first so did not count) sweater. It was easy and quick.
I started a Sonnet but decided I hated the yarn I was using and never finished. It DOES look really easy, though.

Jan in CA
02-13-2007, 02:21 AM
I made the child's version (Haiku) and it was really easy. I'd like to try this one sometime, too. Not sure about yarn yet though.

Yarn Doc
02-13-2007, 02:23 AM
I did Topsecret from Knitty for my first (well, second, but the first so did not count) sweater. It was easy and quick.
I started a Sonnet but decided I hated the yarn I was using and never finished. It DOES look really easy, though.

How was Topsecret? What yarn did you use? I was also looking at that pattern for a future project....

CateKnits
02-13-2007, 02:30 AM
It was easy and quick. I could get a sleeve done during a two hour lecture. I used Lion Brand Wool-Ease Chunky for mine so it would be easy, quick, AND cheap. :teehee:

DotMom61
04-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Kate --

Did you ever take the plunge w/ Sonnet? I'm getting ready to rip out a sweater I made that I hate, and I was trying to find a new pattern to use. I had completely forgotten about Sonnet. I think it might work well for the yarn I have.

wiredqs
04-15-2007, 10:53 AM
I'm working on it, just have the sleeves to go. It is easy, but I have size 3 needles so it seems endless. Hope it's worth it in the end.

IrishKnitter
04-17-2007, 08:45 PM
Kate --

Did you ever take the plunge w/ Sonnet? I'm getting ready to rip out a sweater I made that I hate, and I was trying to find a new pattern to use. I had completely forgotten about Sonnet. I think it might work well for the yarn I have.

I never actually tried it, Julie. I ended up doing a top down sweater (wicked) instead. I hope it works out for you! :cheering:

crazycatlady
04-21-2007, 04:40 PM
Sorry to jump in here, but I just finished Sonnet yesterday. There are some pictures on my blog:

http://www.heathbar.org/weblog/pivot/entry.php?id=418

This is my first sweater. If I had to do it again, I would have made it one size smaller and/or in a lighter yarn. I used Wool of the Andes, and the weight of the 16(!) skeins this thing sucked up really drags down that big, square, unshaped neckline. Maybe an acrylic blend like Encore would have kept it a bit lighter. But I'm really happy with it anyway, and it was a fun, easy pattern to learn with! It'll get a lot of wear once it gets cold again.

DotMom61
04-21-2007, 07:51 PM
It's so pretty!! I love the color, and I'm glad you warned us about the wide-open neck line. I had noticed that on the pattern picture, too. I wonder how hard it would be to modify the pattern to close it up a bit. :thinking: