PDA

View Full Version : Pomatomus Socks

Pages : [1] 2

AmandaC
02-17-2007, 06:33 AM
Pomatomus (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/PATTpomatomus.html)

Several of us are going to be making the Pomatomus socks from Knitty....

I am using Lisa Souza Sock Merino in Mars Quake.

So far I have 1 more row of the cuff on sock 1 to do then I'm going to try the pattern ...

Feel free to join in ....

Vendie
02-17-2007, 08:57 AM
I finished one Pomatomus before I started my Sockatine Sock Swap socks, and still need to finish the pair. So what did I do? I cast on for another Pomatomus in a totally different yarn :shifty:

Pair 1 will be knit from STR lightweight in Jasper:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/155/341159655_bd2b2cb5bd.jpg

Pair 2 will be knit from Koigu KPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPM in a blue colorway:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/159/387178493_745366e0d1_m.jpg

I adore this pattern! :cheering:

Sue Madelin
02-17-2007, 09:08 AM
Can I join in????

I've got some Regia sock yarn in Denim - I'll just go check it's weight and yardage to see if I've got enough!

Sue Madelin
02-17-2007, 09:14 AM
Ok - I've got two 50g balls - each with 200m
The gauge on the balls says 7.5 sts per inch on size 2-3 needles

So I think I'm set - I should have enough yarn and I think my size 2.5 needles should do - and they're in a set of 5 so :cheering:

I'll try and cast on today sometime.

Vendie
02-17-2007, 09:22 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Shandeh
02-17-2007, 09:39 AM
I'm joining in too, of course!!! :muah:

Amanda, thanks for setting up the KAL. I'm still wondering if I want to use the Mars Quake for it or not. I might use a different yarn.

For some reason, that Mars Quake keeps "screaming" for me to turn it into a lacy item near my face. I just can't get enough of that Lisa Souza softness!!!

I have lots of other sock yarn to choose from: 3 different colors of Wildfoote, several skeins of Knit Picks Palette, and some laceweight merino as well. Decisions, decisions! :teehee:

Andrea
02-17-2007, 11:41 AM
I wanna play!!! But I HAVE to give at least one of my socks a mate first :pout:

Stiney
02-17-2007, 12:08 PM
:cheering: Ooh, ooh, me!

Should I use my Koigu or my Austerman Step? :thinking:

I'm leaning towards the Austerman...

Lieke
02-17-2007, 01:45 PM
I'm knitting them for my mom (for her birthday, she doesn't know), so I'd like to join as well. I'm doing the first patten-repeat, and so far I don't know wether I like it with the variegated yarn I'm using, so maybe the'll be frogged later and knitted with other yarn. I'll post pics next monday, because mom isn't home and I'll be able to make pics without being afraid she'll find out what I'm knitting.

CateKnits
02-17-2007, 01:54 PM
I would join if I could knit from charts. :-x

AmandaC
02-17-2007, 02:21 PM
Cate, this chart is very easy ... it is just knit (tbl) purl k2tog and yarn over. After the first row I found I didn't need to follow the chart stitch by stitch - I just looked at the first few stitches and it works itself out. Also because you are knitting in the round you are always going the same direction on the chart.

give it a go - i'm finding it easier than I thought I would.

Lieke
02-17-2007, 02:23 PM
I totally agree with amanda. This is the PERFECT way to learn to read charts. Just try it, you'll see it isn't half as hard as you're expecting it to be.

Vendie
02-17-2007, 02:52 PM
Lieke, I do think this particular pattern looks better on some variegated yarns more so than on others. I think it almost looks best on a yarn with very subtle variations, or a monochromatic blend, even.

Charts are fun Cate...join the dark side!

CateKnits
02-17-2007, 03:58 PM
I don't believe you, Vendie. Anything that makes me go :mad: is NOT fun. :pout:
I've tried charts...I just get so very lost!

AmandaC
02-17-2007, 04:16 PM
I don't think the Mars Quake is going to work ... I can't see the pattern at all ... it's too dark :shrug:

I'm going to try a different yarn.... just got to and check my stash...

Emeraldcutie
02-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Iam going to start my pair soon too, I have Lornas Laces in Watercolour for it.

Liliyarn
02-17-2007, 05:00 PM
Ooooo. perfect timing! I'm knitting them right now! I'm using Miss Babs (www.missbabs.com) sock yarn in Forest Afternoon, on two circs. I've finished the first pattern repeat and less than half way left for the second repeat.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/131/388371559_205c03d4e9_o.jpg

The first 22 rows were a big ol' pain, but I've got better now. All those twisted stitches...ugh....really slows me down.

sara_jayne
02-17-2007, 05:23 PM
Iam going to start my pair soon too, I have Lornas Laces in Watercolour for it.

:teehee: You have great taste, Laura! I was going to try this pattern in LL's Watercolor too!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Emeraldcutie
02-17-2007, 06:45 PM
I got mine as a birthday gift from knitwit on here, and Iam mailing her Vera, Iam trying to get her to do this pattern too, but I think she decided on Monkey instead.

Sue Madelin
02-17-2007, 06:56 PM
I've just completed the first 10 rows of ribbing on my first sock :cheering:

cheesiesmom
02-17-2007, 10:12 PM
I wanna join but I just cast on my 2d lacy mock cable sock. Gotta finish it first.

Lieke
02-18-2007, 04:24 AM
Lieke, I do think this particular pattern looks better on some variegated yarns more so than on others. I think it almost looks best on a yarn with very subtle variations, or a monochromatic blend, even.

Well, the variations aren't subtile at all. I'm using this (http://www.rellana.de/handstrickgarne/catalog/flottesockebaumwolle50gcoloristrumpfgarn-p-359.html) yarn in color 712 pink-bedruckt. But I'll do at least 1 patternrepeat before I decide wether I like how it looks or not.

Liliyarn
02-18-2007, 11:19 AM
:!!!:

:frog:

Back to round one....

Sue Madelin
02-18-2007, 04:43 PM
:!!!:

Back to round one....

I'm hearing ya!

I've just had to rip and start over too - I had ladders where the needles met and ended up with a lost stitch on one needle that I just couldn't find no matter how many times I tried!

:verysad:

Jan in CA
02-18-2007, 05:11 PM
Okay, I'm not doing these socks right now, but everytime I see this thread I can't help thinking of Peter Potamus (http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm). I know it's spelled different, but that's the way my mind sees it. :teehee: :roflhard: :roflhard:

AmandaC
02-18-2007, 05:56 PM
I lost 2 stitches somewhere on needle 1 but decided that it wouldn't be noticeable if I just picked up 2 along the row....

I'm now ready to start row 17 of the pattern ... but not right now .... it's nearly bedtime and I should wash some dishes first. :pout:

dreadfull
02-18-2007, 07:37 PM
I'm In I'm In!!!!!!!
but i have to finish up my sockintine socks first (they are ALMOST done)

i'm going to knit there in handspun from a fiber arts store!!!!

wooooo :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Shandeh
02-18-2007, 08:03 PM
Amanda, which yarn did you choose?

Liliyarn
02-18-2007, 10:00 PM
I'm hearing ya!

I've just had to rip and start over too - I had ladders where the needles met and ended up with a lost stitch on one needle that I just couldn't find no matter how many times I tried!

:verysad:

what got me was...while waiting to be seated for dinner with the family I knitted and talked...not a good combination with these socks. Somewhere I lost two stitches and when I attempted to go back a row or two I lost even more. No hope of starting it right now. And I don't want any obvious mistakes in these...so back to the beginning

Lieke
02-19-2007, 03:14 AM
I did the first patternrepeat and started on de 2nd one. I think I'll keep this yarn, it looks all right to me. I'll post pics later this day (when mom is away, she's now making herself ready to go) so you all can see the yarn and decide with me wether it's showing the pattern or not.

Lieke
02-19-2007, 06:08 AM
Here are my socks:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/Liekevangenesen/pomatomus2.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/Liekevangenesen/pomatomus1.jpg

Sue Madelin
02-19-2007, 06:25 AM
beautiful - well done :cheering:

Vendie
02-19-2007, 08:06 AM
That yarn is really working well in the pattern Lieke! It's not too variegated at all. It looks really nice! :cheering:

Lieke
02-19-2007, 08:07 AM
I agree with that, so I'll keep using this yarn. I hope my mom likes them.

five_six
02-19-2007, 08:13 AM
Leike, I just had to step in and ask, what is that yarn made of. I don't know if its just the photo, but it looks like it's really soft and smooshy.

Lieke
02-19-2007, 08:23 AM
It's 75% cotton and 25% polyamid. It is called "flotte socke baumwolle colori". It's german yarn:

This (http://www.rellana.de/handstrickgarne/catalog/flottesockebaumwolle50gcoloristrumpfgarn-p-359.html) is where I buy it. It's rather soft, but I don't know how it feels on your feet (yet). I love how it knits up.

I've got a question. I just found out that I made a mistake in the pattern :verysad: . Instead of k2tog tbl, I did a k2tog, as you can see on my pic. Should I frog it, or just leave it this way and pretend that it's supposed to look this way. I know my mom won't notice, since she won't know the pattern and won't be able to read it (she doesn't know any english). What do you think? Now I'm hanging towards the leaving it this way and keep on doing a k2tog. I'd like some opinions...

Sue Madelin
02-19-2007, 08:36 AM
I'd leave it as it is - it looks fine.

Anyway - it's not a mistake it's a customisation! :teehee:

Lieke
02-19-2007, 08:54 AM
oh, yes, you're right, a customisation :teehee:

I'm still in doubt. Although it looks fine to me, I now know there is a mistake and I'm not so sure if I could live with that.

AmandaC
02-19-2007, 09:36 AM
I've got a question. I just found out that I made a mistake in the pattern :verysad: . Instead of k2tog tbl, I did a k2tog, as you can see on my pic.

:noway: WHERE does it say K2tog TBL ???? I've been doing a normal k2tog aswell ...

:out:

aaagggghhhh found it ... very snikkily hidden x-( - I followed the written instructions from the round 1 setup and didn't check the chart symbol definitions properly ... :verysad:

Oh well - that is how I'm going to continue it .... Lieke - we will have matching socks - Pomatomus v.1.2 :teehee:

Lieke
02-19-2007, 09:45 AM
Actually, we won't. I frogged it. I made the same mistake as you did. Didn't check the chart. I was planning on keeping it this way, but now that I knew there was a mistake, there was no way of keeping this mistake. I guess I'm a bit to perfectionistic. My assignment for my methodsclass wasn't going well as well, so out of pure frustration, I frogged my sock. I did manage to get my ribbing back on the needles, so I don't have to start totally over again. But most of my sock is now a ball of yarn again. I'm actually quite relieved I frogged it. It feels better this way.

I'm also glad I'm not the only one, making this mistake.

Sue Madelin
02-19-2007, 11:41 AM
I did actually notice the difference between the set up row and the chart - I think they wrote the instructions wrong for the set up row! Why would it be different otherwise?

So should the set up row be just plain K2Tog or K2TogTBL???

And does it matter?

What difference does it make knitting through the back of the loop?

Lieke
02-19-2007, 11:48 AM
When you do a normal K2tog, you get what you can see in my socks.

This is how it's supposed to look http://www.bluegarter.org/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/pomatomus_detail.jpg (just googled for an image)

As you can see, the outer curve of ever patternbit has to continue, in my socks the start halfway the pattern, because I did a K2tog.

eta: I've uploaded my socks with a line around the place where the mistake shows.

AmandaC
02-19-2007, 02:20 PM
:pout: :wall: :grrr: :!!!:

I might just continue on correctly and hope no one notices :shrug: They are for me anyway .....

knitknut
02-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Can I join too? I've been wanting to make these for my daughter. To me they look like dragon scales. I'm thinking shades of blue since she loves Saphira from Eragon (the book). Any suggestions on yarn?

Vendie
02-19-2007, 07:32 PM
To chime in on the k2tog vs k2togtbl conversation....

I think it was a typo...I've been doing all my knit stitches through the back loop (maybe a little different on the heel flap, I can't remember), including the decreases. It does make a difference in how the stitch leans. But if you don't mind the way it looks, by all means, stick with the k2tog.

As for yarn suggestions, I would avoid self striping yarns(some variegation seems to work fine). I'm using Koigu for my current blue pair and Socks That Rock for my purplish pair.

jhelanee
02-19-2007, 09:14 PM
I'm joining you all! I was trying to figure out what to make with my STR that I got recently, and all the pretty progress pics have convinced me to give the Pomatomus a try. I decided not to swatch (partially since my in-the-round gauge frequently changes from swatch to project :wall: ) so I will have to get several inches in before I can determine if they will fit or not.

On the K2tog vs K2tog tbl debate: I think the set-up row in the pattern is correct. First, if it was supposed to be through the back loop, she could have simply said to work Chart A (since K2tog vs K2tog tbl is the only difference between the set-up row and chart row 1), but she didn't. Second, the stitch that ends up on top is opposite in the two methods. By K2tog through the front loops for the set-up row only, the left-hand knit stitch from the cuff ribbing ends up on top, and the pattern flows smoothly out of the cuff. K2tog tbl on the set-up row would leave the right-hand purl stitch on top, and the join between ribbing and pattern would not be as smooth. Similarly, the charts call for K2tog tbl so that the left slanting line of the pattern is unbroken with the previous rows K2tog tbl ending up on top of each decrease. Hope that explanation made sense....

(BTW, the sharp-eyed may notice my pattern doesn't look like I printed it directly off Knitty - I didn't. I copied the pattern into Word and reformatted it to print neatly onto 4 pages with sensible page breaks. If anyone else wants my "printer-friendly" version, PM me and I will send you the pdf.)

Lieke
02-20-2007, 03:02 AM
jhelanee, that makes sense. I think I'll stick with that. Thanks for explaining.

AmandaC
02-20-2007, 05:15 AM
:verysad: I still don't know if I can be bothered to frog it and start again though ... because I know that I will not be able to get the stitches back on the needle if I try to keep the ribbing so I would have to go to the very beginning. My yarn is quite dark so I don't think it will be noticable unless you are a pomatomus expert! :shrug:

Angelia
02-20-2007, 10:45 AM
Pomatomus expert...:teehee:

I've been lurking in this KAL because I want to join...Just have to get some things off the needles first!

carmabelle1191
02-20-2007, 11:22 AM
Do you think these socks would be too hard for a first pair? Or should I stick to a beginner's pair... :thinking:

AmandaC
02-20-2007, 02:10 PM
If you can knit 2 together THROUGH THE BACK LOOP :wall: :teehee: then you will be fine. This is quite an easy pattern, the chart makes it look quite daunting but it isn't!

Have a try :shrug:

SandraEllen
02-20-2007, 02:26 PM
I love these socks! I would love to join, but I have to finish my monkey socks first.

and knit some clogs.

Your socks are turning out so pretty...

Tammy6071
02-20-2007, 02:26 PM
Ohhh!! I'm joining in as well!! I just got some cool STR and I think this pattern will be perfect!!!

AmandaC
02-20-2007, 04:02 PM
ok - here is my pomatomus wip ...

I'm not going to frog it, just knit correctly from now on!

I'm using Claudia's Handpainted yarn in Santa Fe. (on 2.75mm needles)

Dilly
02-20-2007, 05:21 PM
I think I'm going to join this KAL even though I have other stuff on the needles right now. This socks look like lots of fun. I have some STR that I might use, but it might be too verigated. I'll have to check my stash to see if that will work or if I have any other appropriate yarn.

Dilly
02-20-2007, 05:34 PM
Ok... So I just looked through the stash. The STR is too bright for these socks, but I have some beautiful Cherry Tree Hill (http://www.ssb6.net/members/watch/enlarge.php?aid=sheeptoshawl&img=23552/cthsockblpurpz.jpg) sock yarn in the Blues/Purples colourway. The picture I linked to is the most accurately coloured picture I could find, although it's a bit off. My yarn is a bit lighter coloured in person.

Now I just need to wind it into a ball. I really wish I had a ball winder right about now! :pout:

Sue Madelin
02-20-2007, 06:05 PM
I've given up :pout:

I had so many ladders and holes that I just thought they looked awful - and they were taking forever to knit on the tiny needles - so I frogged - again!

I don't think my yarn was the right stuff - it seemed too thin and not fluffy enough - if you see what I mean?

Anyway - I'm concentrating on my crochet shrug right now but I'll keep checking on your progress - everyone else's socks look really nice!

AmandaC
02-21-2007, 07:33 AM
x-( quitter!!! :teehee:

I think you need a smooth yarn - not fluffy or too soft - else you won't get the stitch definition ... I'm on the cusp of it being too dark to see the stitches but I don't care .... I'll do another pair in a lighter yarn next time.

Lieke
02-21-2007, 07:39 AM
sue, why don't you try it with other yarn?

Sue Madelin
02-21-2007, 07:50 AM
hmm - I might do............not sure.

I've got two skeins of malabrigo burning a hole in my stash basket that I'm just dying to start something with - think it's too soft for socks though - I've heard that it pills rather badly. Thinking of making a shrug with it instead.

Talking of quitters Amanda........................

How's Starsky mark 2 coming along??????????????? :twisted:

I know you ripped it out because you didn't like the fit. I did the same with my Noro Blossom Eloise cardi.

I've finished my Eloise and it fits much better - and I've worn it several times and it's been complimented also.........................

So................ how far have you got with Starsky????????? :flirt:

:whistle:

:teehee:

AmandaC
02-21-2007, 08:48 AM
:yadda:

AmandaC
02-21-2007, 05:01 PM
Right ..... I've done the first 22 rows ... and now I'm stuck on moving the stitch on needle 1 to needle 3 .... if anyone can help please do ....

I'll try to figure it out in the meantime ...

AmandaC
02-21-2007, 05:03 PM
:doh:

stoopid stoopid manda !!!

I was reading too much into it ....

Vendie
02-21-2007, 06:42 PM
:teehee: I hate it when I do that!

knitwits
02-22-2007, 01:15 AM
I got mine as a birthday gift from knitwit on here, and Iam mailing her Vera, Iam trying to get her to do this pattern too, but I think she decided on Monkey instead.

having looked at all these lovely socks, I now want to try but it looks so difficult. They are all lovely lovely socks..:) I'll read the pattern again lol

Lieke
02-22-2007, 11:46 AM

having looked at all these lovely socks, I now want to try but it looks so difficult. They are all lovely lovely socks..:) I'll read the pattern again lol

It isn't that hard. It looked hard to me as well, but as I tried I found out it wasn't hard at all.

about my socks. I'm back to row 1. Frogged the ribbing I saved because I decided I should knit them with 2.5 mm needles (instead of 3mm). I think that'll look better with this yarn and my gauge was also a bit off. That should also be better with 2.5 mm needles. So now I'm stuck, since I don't own 2.5 mm DPNS. Should have bought them when I was at the yarn shop :doh:

AmandaC
02-22-2007, 11:53 AM
see - you're a good girl ... if it was me ... I would knit REALLY REALLY tight on my 3mms :teehee: I am NOT a good waiter ... If I want to do something I want to do it NOW!!!

AmandaC
02-22-2007, 11:54 AM
OH- and the pattern is SOOOO EASY! I put this off for ages because I thought it looked difficult but I'm only checking the first few stitches of each row and then the rest is obvious ...

TRY IT :shrug:

knitwits
02-22-2007, 02:03 PM
I must dig out the pattern again just that I've not attempted knitting from charts. Guess it will be a challenge for me and Emeraldcutie will be pleased that I have changed my mind lol...after seeing all these lovely pomps :happydance:

jhelanee
02-22-2007, 09:49 PM
:waah:

I have to frog my sock because it is too small. :pout: I could barely get it over my heal, and it was very tight and stretched way to much once on my leg. The gauge is actually not that far off what is in the pattern, but I don't like the fit. I think I will just increase the needle size from 1 to 2, because it was pretty tight before and should still be fine. Wish me luck!

Lieke
02-23-2007, 01:28 AM
Sorry you had to frog your socks as well :hug:

I went the the local "yarn shop" (they do have some knitting-related stuff and yarn) but they didn't have 2.5 mm dpns :doh: Now I'm really stuck. I don't want to knit socks that are rather wide to begin with, since I have to use cotton. I hope I find them saturday when I'm finished with working.

knitwits
02-23-2007, 08:18 AM
i actually sat down and read the pattern. I cast on but frogged it twice as It had too many holes and I got lost on the pattern . Now I'm using a different yarn and I'm onto the 9th row and I must admit, I don't really know what I was stressed out about..its not too difficult :grrr: :oops:

As this is only a test, I'm going to knit the full 22 rows. lol

Emeraldcutie, you're gonna be surprised lol :happydance:

Ingrid
02-24-2007, 10:14 AM
I don't often join knit alongs, but I love these socks. I didn't have a good yarn for them, and by some miracle, the perfect one will be arriving in my mailbox today or Monday. :teehee: I hope it's today!! :happydance:

Lieke
02-24-2007, 12:30 PM
I've got my needles. Ready to start (again). Why can't I knit while taking a bath? :teehee:

kristinw
02-24-2007, 02:10 PM
I don't often join knit alongs, but I love these socks. I didn't have a good yarn for them, and by some miracle, the perfect one will be arriving in my mailbox today or Monday. :teehee: I hope it's today!! :happydance:

:teehee: :teehee: I love a good miracle!

I'm knitting my first pair of socks now, but I am so drawn to these!! I wonder if I can do them (being a beginner sock knitter).

Ingrid
02-24-2007, 07:26 PM
I think I'm going to use this yarn. It's called Ingrid's Blues, after all. :teehee:

Vendie
02-24-2007, 07:35 PM
I saw that yarn somewhere and totally thought of you! See, you were destined to knit socks, Ingy!

Liliyarn
02-25-2007, 04:55 AM
Okay...I've recovered from frogging over half the leg. I've cast on again and made it through the cuff and the set up row. I do the first pattern repeat tomorrow.... :cheering:

Lieke
02-25-2007, 04:56 AM
I'm knitting my first pair of socks now, but I am so drawn to these!! I wonder if I can do them (being a beginner sock knitter).

I think you can. These aren't hard at all. They'll just take a long time, since you have to use 72 stitches, but I don't think they are really hard. (as long as you pay attentiont to the pattern :teehee: )

AmandaC
02-25-2007, 05:11 AM
I'm on the heel flap :cheering:

Andrea
02-25-2007, 11:43 AM
:cheering: Ingrid's Blues!!!

"Sounds perfect!!" :teehee:

I still want to play but I haven't given any of my socks a mate yet. :grrr:

Lieke
02-25-2007, 12:23 PM
I'm on the heel flap :cheering:

I've almost got the ribbing done :oops: I also want to be at the heel flap :pout:

kristinw
02-25-2007, 01:21 PM
Nevermind....was going to make these but went with Monkey socks instead. These will be next!

Angelia
02-25-2007, 06:21 PM

pair schmair--knit these!! It's not like you don't have any yarn...:teehee:

*KnitPixie*
02-25-2007, 09:41 PM
I really want to knit along too and I :inlove: the pattern but..I have trouble knitting with any yarn or needles that are to small :verysad: causes me to much joint pain. hmm.. I was wondering if there was any way that I could use my 2 balls of cascade fixations yarn and a slightly larger needle :shrug: Would that work Im new to this stuff so I'd really appreciate any advice or tips anyone might have for me :hug:

Andrea
02-26-2007, 12:19 PM

pair schmair--knit these!! It's not like you don't have any yarn...:teehee:

Maybe I'll make it a goal of mine to just knit one sock :shrug: Then I'll wear them mismatched all the time.

I just bought Lisa Souza Mars Quake :thud: (actually I had a GC, so I didn't even have to buy anything :happydance: )

dreadfull
02-26-2007, 11:57 PM
Gah!!!!!!!!

I just finished turning the heel, but something has gone horribly horribly wrong!!!!. I somehow ended up with the wrong number of stitches on the heel flap and the ribbing was 2 x1, which i'm not sure if it is supposed to be. But point is. I F*@CK$& up and have to re do my heel flap and the heel turn. BOOOOOO

I'll post photos of my mistake later, though i still have no clue what i could possibly have done wrong!!!!

-Lianne

Lieke
02-27-2007, 03:39 AM
:hug: sorry to hear you made a mistake

why are you all so fast. I'm still a few rows after the ribbing, but the problem is I can only knit when I'm not at home, or when mom is away.

Vendie
02-27-2007, 08:58 AM
The heel flap should be a 1x1 rib.

I just started the heel flap last night. I've been working between the sock and trying to finish my urban aran sweater before spring arrives (I want to wear it at least once this season!) But the sock keeps pulling me back to it. I love the pattern so much I think I could knit a million of them.

I took the sock with me to work last week and everyone at lunch took turns passing around the pattern, looking at the picture of the mannequin leg wearing the sock. They found that pretty amusing and disturbing at the same time. :roll:

Tammy6071
02-27-2007, 09:04 AM
:waah: Ugh!!! I also had to frog mine. I was halfway through the second repeat on the cuff, lost my place, and when trying to figure out what row I was on, realized I was missing stitches!!! I have no idea when that happened!? So rip, rip, rip, I'm starting over.

Liliyarn
02-27-2007, 01:01 PM
S'okay Tammy...I survived, I know you can too. It goes quick the second time around.

Okay, I'm past where I had to frog previously. Third pattern repeat here I come!!

Vendie
02-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Yay! I'm shaping the gusset! :cheering: I'm totally ignoring the pattern instructions so that I get a better fit through the arch of my foot! :cheering: I always have to pick up more stitches than called for to a) avoid gaps and b) make the sock fit...but mostly (a). :teehee:

Is it sad that I want to go ahead and start a third pair?

KellyK
02-28-2007, 03:45 AM
As soon as my sz 1 DPNs come from KP's, Im joining in... Im glad to know to watch out for those snikky snikky K2togTBL's!

Lieke
02-28-2007, 05:25 AM
happy someone can benefit from my mistake :teehee:

AmandaC
03-02-2007, 05:33 AM
I'm on the foot of sock 1 :happydance:

I tried it on ... it's a bit tight - even though I've changed to continental knitting I still knit REALLY tight :wall: so I'm not frogging it but am going to make an effort to relax my hands more.

Oh and I am SOOOOO glad to be back to 3 dpn's ... using 4 for the gusset was a major pain (for me anyway) .

KellyK
03-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Did you HAVE to use 4 for the gusset?

AmandaC
03-02-2007, 10:09 AM
I don't suppose so - as long as you keep track of where you are ... I didn't bother counting how many times I repeated the 2 rows of decreases, I just kept track of which row I was in for the pattern, so then I could tell when I was finished these cos I had 6 stitches left on needle 2 & 4. I suppose next time I could use stitch markers so I know where each needle is meant to start and just use 3 instead :thinking: .

I think it was only hard because 2 of the needles had a small amount of stitches on them so they flopped about more :teehee:

I'm sure you, KK, as a sock knitting expert, will be able to figure it out on 3 :notworthy:

catownedanna
03-02-2007, 10:41 AM
This post's swedish word/phrase: "Jag tänkte vara med" = "I thought I'd join"
_____

Hej! :waving:

Everyone's socks look great! :happydance:

I've been working on a pair of Pomatomus in LL's Shepherd sock yarn; Purple Club., for a couple of weeks now. I have one done and am working on the heel flap for the second one. Knitting the first one, I made a mistake when starting the gusset as I didn't look at the chart properly and apparently lost my ability to count... I ended up doing pattern stitches on the instep over too few stitches and it didn't look good. Frogging and starting that part over, I was sick of knitting the scale-like pattern so I kept the instep as k1tbl-p ribbing instead. I like the look and fit of it.

I'll see if I can post pictures next week so you can see what they look like.

I don't suppose so - as long as you keep track of where you are ...

When knitting on DPNs, I shift my stitches from one needle to another to avoid ladders. If there's something really essential I have to keep track on (start of the round or something), I add a stitch marker. But I try to have as few markers as possible. After two rounds of gusset decreases you can see where they are and don't really need a stitch marker (or the beginning of a needle) to be able to decrease correctly. Same goes for when starting the pattern on the instep; you see where the first twisted stitch is, eh?

So, changing patterns that are written for a certain number of DPNs isn't that hard. You just look at your knitting. :shrug:

ETA: Oh forgot... :wall: As I shift stitches, I try to keep the same amount of stitches on every needle. I hate it when they flop around. And there really is no point in having them do that if you know where the start of the round is and where you're decreasing... Know what I mean? :?? :hug:

Stiney
03-02-2007, 11:56 AM
I cast-on at lunch yesterday!

And by cast-on, I mean, I haven't even joined them yet. :rofl:

Need to do some homework at lunch today, maybe I can get some knitting in after that.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-02-2007, 01:28 PM
This is totally OT and has nothng to do with the socks.

When I was in high school, we were playing some song in band, and there was one section where we had to play 5 notes all together in the space where only 4 notes are supposed to go (a quintuplet, but that doesn't matter). Anyway, my teacher made us practice over and over again and to get the rhythm right, she would say "hippopotamus-ONE" because hippopotamus has 5 syllables, and she said she couldn't think of any other 5 syllable words besides cannibalism, and didn't think that was appropriate... so we all secretly said "cannibalism" in our heads while she was shouting "hippopotamus" at us. That's probablly the only instance of that EVER happening in any school anywhere EVER, and I think it's riotously funny... Who thinks that someone who hears hippopotamus actually says cannibalism in their heads? They don't exactly go together....

....AND the pomatomus sock thread makes me think of that every time I see this thread.

And now back to your regularly scheduled KAL.

*I'll bet you that now very time you hear "hippopotamus" you'll think of cannibalism.... start watching the discovery channel, it'll creep up on you.

KellyK
03-03-2007, 10:04 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I CO and finished the ribbing on both Pomatomusses (pronounced "poe-muh-TOE-muh-sizz") last night! Cant wait to delve into these charts today!

Im using sz. 0 Options DPNs and Cherry Tree Hill Supersock in Java. LURRRVLY chocolate, plum and deep greens....

AmandaC
03-03-2007, 02:04 PM
I'm plugging away on the foot of sock 1.

I just had to pop on to say .. .BBC1 has a 'channel ident' - a 30 second mini-advert kind of thing - usually 'things' making a circle i.e. a giant snowball at christmas, surfers going through a pipe ... well today was one that made me immediatley think of Hildie .... Hippo's swimming in a circle . :teehee: And yes ... I thought of cannabilism :roflhard:

SandraEllen
03-03-2007, 03:19 PM
I'm dyeing yarn for mine right now... :happydance:
Let's hope it turns out well so that I can cast on in a couple of days!!!

Lieke
03-04-2007, 04:42 AM
I'm still working on the first pattern repeat. It's hard to find some knitting time. I even took a slower train last friday (yes, I know, I'm really addicted) to have more knitting time. But the 2.5 mm needles don't work as fast as the 3 mm needles. Still, it's looking better on the 2.5 mm needles, so I'm happy I switched. I'm afraid mom will get 1 sock for her birthday, with a promise to finish the other one as soon as possible. In that way, I can knit at home as well, so I'll be a lot faster that way.

KellyK
03-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Tell me... how do you all deal with YOs at the beginning of a needle? Mine are NOT looking very fantastic... the ones in the middle of the needle are not the same size.

Pat in NW Alabama
03-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Is it too late to join in? I am planning a pair in SWTC Tofutsies. Will doing a gauge swatch today or tomorrow. (Tonight at work if it is slow but don't tell my boss :psst: )

SandraEllen
03-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Can you believe that my yarn is dry already? I dyed it yesterday...

anyway, I casted on! :cheering: :cheering:

I'm only 2 rows into the cuff, but I've started!

Jess_knit
03-04-2007, 11:41 PM
I'm dying to join this KAL...I've even got four different types of sock yarn arriving on Tuesday, from Knitpicks. But I already have obligations to my aunt to make a fun fur scarf (mindless knitting - it's garter stitch), and I'm slogging my way through a mate to a thick worsted weight sock for my mom. I'm regretting ever choosing the pattern I did - I hate cables now, and I'm starting to hate wool-ease. I'm hoping to finish these two things, or at least get a good bit done, on the 3 1/2 hour plane ride to Denver this Wednesday. Maybe by the time I get back, I can cast on for these lovely socks!

Ingrid
03-04-2007, 11:52 PM
Tell me... how do you all deal with YOs at the beginning of a needle? Mine are NOT looking very fantastic... the ones in the middle of the needle are not the same size.

I had started these but they were too loose, so I have to start again. I shifted the stitches on the needles so I could do a regular yo and not make it the beginning of the row.

KellyK
03-05-2007, 02:26 AM
Im getting better at them as I go along.... And, I had thought of shifting sts, Ingy, but since you have to shift sts again before you start the second repeat, I was worried that my feeble brain would get confuzzled and Id shcrew it up. :shifty:

catownedanna
03-05-2007, 03:10 AM
This post's Swedish word/phrase: "Jag håller på med min andra Pomatomus" = "I'm working on my second Pomatomus"
_____

Im getting better at them as I go along.... And, I had thought of shifting sts, Ingy, but since you have to shift sts again before you start the second repeat, I was worried that my feeble brain would get confuzzled and Id shcrew it up.

How far have you knit, Kelly? I don't think you should have any problems shifting stitches, cause you'll honestly see where the yo's are supposed to go and it doesn't matter where you have the start of the round on your needles. (Did that make sense? :?? :teehee: ) When shifting stitches before the second repeat of the chart, you basically knit one stitch tbl before placing your first yo. It does "shift" everything by one stitch but you don't really have to stop knittting to shift the stitches and then start knitting again. Know what I mean?

I'm sure you'll do excellent, Kelly! :hug:

-----

I'm working on the gusset on my second sock. I hope to be able to place pictures tomorrow.

AmandaC
03-05-2007, 05:26 AM
I finished my first sock :cheering: I immediately wound the next ball on my NEW SWIFT :happydance: :cheering: and cast on. I have done the cuff and 3 rows of the pattern. I don't think I could get sss with this pattern .... I really like it!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-05-2007, 07:31 AM
pictures!! :tap:

Petals
03-05-2007, 08:37 AM
Is anyone doing these socks on circulars? I have only used circulars --thought I might get confused with all the switching of stitches :shrug:

SandraEllen
03-05-2007, 11:00 AM
I'm doing 2 socks on 2 circs and i'm thinking i might confused too, but I'm not letting that scare me...

:teehee:

Lieke
03-06-2007, 03:32 AM
I finally got the first pattern repeat done on my first sock. It's just a really slow process when you can't knit at home (where I do most of my knitting). But I'll have another hour in the train today, so knittingtime!

Petals
03-06-2007, 06:21 PM
I started my pom---today. At the rate I'm going it may be 6 months before I'll finish! (that is, if we have sunny days) :zombie: I started with 1's then ripped and switched to 0's.

knitknut
03-07-2007, 01:31 PM
I haven't started yet, cuz I can't find any yarn that I like. You would think in a city this size I could find some :!!!: sock yarn. GRRRR Sorry, I don't know anyone that knits, so I just had to get that out.

Anyway, a question for all of you sock yarn experts - I did find some on ebay that I think I will like for this project, but I have never seen or touched it. Does anyone know anything about Rowanspun Tweed 4 ply Fingering Weight? Would it work?

Thanks ever so much in advance.

Petals
03-07-2007, 02:39 PM
:!!!: :grrr: :hair: :gah: I have painstakingly gotten to row 15 in the chart and for the last 3 rows have felt this isn't right but went over and over the pattern :shrug: I think I have to rip but that means probably start the whole thing over. I came here to look at a better close up picture and there is a problem houston!! I just needed to vent alittle :pout:

KellyK
03-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Knitnut, I dont think that's a SOCK yarn. I think it would WORK, but you're going to want something that is machine washable....

SandraEllen
03-08-2007, 08:45 AM
I'm almost done with the first pattern set and I think I'm totally "getting" the pattern. I have to check to verify at the start of every row, but I don't have to keep going back to look at it. :cheering:

As a side note, these socks are taking forever to knit. 72 stitches is a lot of stitches...

Petals
03-08-2007, 10:34 AM
After ripping and starting over, I think I have gotten into the pattern better. I did better after placing a marker at the beginning of the row. I'm doing them on circulars and was switching stitches around. Also, needed to watch the YO stitches so they didn't fall off the needle! :oops:

Lieke
03-08-2007, 11:04 AM
As a side note, these socks are taking forever to knit. 72 stitches is a lot of stitches...

That's how I feel about them as well

knitknut
03-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Thanks KellyK, I'll keep looking.

SandraEllen
03-09-2007, 12:27 PM
So I started my second pattern repeat on the legs last night and it wasn't as bad as i had expected.

I'm making 2 socks on 2 circs and I was worried about moving the stitches from one needle to the next.

When i got to the end of round 22 on the back side of the socks, i just knit into the back of the first stitch on the front needle. Then when I got back to the first stitch on the front needle, i just slipped it off without doing anything to it. Then I repeated this when i got to the end of the fronts on round 1. knit into the back of the first st on the back needle, slip it off when i get to the back needle.

Liliyarn
03-09-2007, 12:51 PM
I'm finally back from a business trip. I can get back to knitting these socks.

Vendie
03-09-2007, 03:17 PM
I've been too distracted by the sock yarn that arrived in the mail the other day. Pomatomus? Rockin' Sock Club pattern? :shrug: Decisions decisions!

Vendie
03-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Wennie One Sock* has finished Sock #1 of Pair #2. I had to do a contrasting toe b/c I didn't have enough of the Koigu to finish the sock. But I like the way it turned out! oh, also to note for the toe - I started the toe a bit later than called for and left more stitches on the needles for grafting b/c I thought the toe as written was too pointy and I didn't like the way it looked on Sock #1 of Pair #1. In fact, I will likely rip that sock back a bit (if not all the way - it was a bit snug) and do the same. I had 12 stitches on the two needles for grafting. I think it looks much better.

*my husband's new name for me since I am still wearing the one sock after the photo shoot. Still.

Dilly
03-10-2007, 02:41 PM
Wennie One Sock, you did an excellent job! I love it! :happydance:

I had to frog my sock, but I will be trying again soon. I love the look of the sock too much not to try it again.

Petals
03-10-2007, 07:13 PM
looks really nice. I like the contrasting toe!

Andrea
03-10-2007, 11:01 PM
Very pretty, Wennie One Sock!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Vendie
03-11-2007, 04:26 PM

Lieke
03-12-2007, 03:56 AM
that looks really great

catownedanna
03-12-2007, 06:50 AM
This post's Swedish word/phrase: "Jag är klar med mina Pomatomusstrumpor!" = "I've finished my Pomatomus socks!"
_____

I finished my Pomatomus socks Saturday night!!! :blooby: :woot: :woohoo:

They are knit in Lorna's Laces Purple Club. I really like the colours and I sort of like the spiralling. I did, however, realise that the scale pattern kind of got lost in the colour, so I decided to just go with twisted rib for the foot. I'm glad I did!

I had problems grating the toe nicely and I think it's a bit too pointy. If I'm ever to make these again, I'd start the toe a bit later and graft with more stitches.

Lieke
03-12-2007, 06:56 AM
you are fast (well, in my opinion everyone except me is fast). They look really great

AmandaC
03-12-2007, 07:09 AM
That looks great Vendie...

I'm on the heel flap of sock 2.

Right - I have a decision to make ... I have obviously - very obviously as you will see when I get round to taking pictures - knit a lot looser on my second sock ... it stripes whereas sock 1 has pooled ... so, do I just leave it - they won't be on show that much, or do I frog sock 1 and redo it ....

Knowing me - I will take it as a design fault :oops: and a learning example and not redo it ... I have lots more yarn and lots more socks to make and although I love my potomai I don't want to have to do 3 socks for 1 pair :shrug: :teehee:

Vendie
03-12-2007, 08:00 AM
As long as it fits, I personally wouldn't worry about it Amanda! The pair will have the pattern in common, so it's ok if the color pattern doesn't quite match up. Hand knit design feature!

Anna - in regards to the toe, that's exactly what I did. I found the toe too pointy as well, so I started the toe decreases at 1 1/2 inches instead of 2 and left 12 stitches on each the top and bottom for grafting. Looks a lot better, in my opinion.

Dilly
03-15-2007, 05:59 PM
I cast on again, and I'm on row 5 of the first chart repeat. It's not far, but further than last time! So far, so good. :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Vendie
03-15-2007, 06:22 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

AmandaC
03-15-2007, 06:50 PM
I have about 8 more rounds to go before the toe on sock 2 ... I've got sidetracked by watching Speed and catching up on here!

Maybe I'll finish them tomorrow evening ....

Petals
03-15-2007, 07:59 PM
One sock down, one to go! I doubt if I start the other one until next week. Entertaining our dgd in Davenport for a weekend of swimming, shopping and maybe I'll get to check out the yarn shop there! :happydance:

Lieke
03-16-2007, 03:36 AM
Anna - in regards to the toe, that's exactly what I did. I found the toe too pointy as well, so I started the toe decreases at 1 1/2 inches instead of 2 and left 12 stitches on each the top and bottom for grafting. Looks a lot better, in my opinion.

That's a great advice. I'll take that in mind. Thanks :muah:

Dilly
03-16-2007, 09:30 AM
Here is my sock so far:

Vendie
03-16-2007, 09:42 AM
It looks so awesome!! :woot:

AmandaC
03-16-2007, 10:51 AM
Superb ... it looks a similar colour to Vendies Koigu one :cheering:

Ariane100
03-16-2007, 04:57 PM
I'm joining you! I started the first (of what I hope will end up being a pair) this morning. I've done half the first pattern repeat. So far so good! It's not nearly as hard as I though. The pattern has a rythm that's not hard to follow once you figured it out.

AmandaC
03-16-2007, 05:55 PM
I finished :cheering:

They don't match :shrug:

The yarn overs look like huge holes :shrug:

I love them :heart: :teehee:

I will try them again one day - maybe in a solid colour.

Dilly
03-16-2007, 06:09 PM
I love them, Amanda! :happydance: :cheering: :happydance:

Lieke
03-17-2007, 12:39 AM
I think they look wonderful

Vendie
03-17-2007, 08:32 AM
Gorgeous Amanda!!! :inlove:

kniftyknitter12
03-17-2007, 06:52 PM
Do you think this pattern would "work" in Knitpicks Gloss in burgundy? ( do you think the pattern will be visible)

Vendie
03-17-2007, 07:31 PM
I did my first Pomatomus in STR Jasper, which was a solid color, and it looked really nice. :thumbsup:

Lieke
03-18-2007, 04:40 AM
I'm finally working on the 3rd pattern repeat of the cuff of sock #1. This takes ages. I noticed I don't knit much when I'm not at home. Well, they will become normal surpises in stead of birthdaysocks. I'll never ever make it before the 12th of april.

RachelJean
03-19-2007, 09:13 AM
Everybody's socks look great! I decided to cast on and start Pomatomous on Friday night. I'm on the second round of chart A, and they are looking pretty good so far. My original plan was to make the entrelac socks from the Interweave Knits magazine, but after looking at the pattern I totally chickened out. :oo:

Ingrid
03-20-2007, 04:09 PM
I finally started mine, too. We had a conference day today, so I managed to get about 4 inches done. :happydance:

ETA: I only brought the chart to school with me, so I never did the set up rows nor did I shift stitches between charts. :wall: Oh, well! I'm not froggin' the friggin' thing. :!!!:

Mine shall be unique!

RachelJean
03-21-2007, 09:05 AM
I was so careful to switch the stitches exactly as the pattern said, and then two stitches slipped off the end of one of my needles. :wall: I got them back on the needles, but they don't look quite right. :shrug: I already frogged once because they were too tight, and I don't want to frog again. I guess I'll just live with it as a 'design feature'.

Ingrid
03-21-2007, 10:20 PM
I totally screwed up on a few rows--I was knitting the wrong part of the pattern. :wall: When I tried to take it out, I couldn't figure out where I was. I got mad a frogged the whole thing down to the ribbing. :!!!:

I guess I showed that :!!!: who's boss! :doh:

Petals
03-21-2007, 10:46 PM
That's what happened to me on the first sock. I thought I was so smart that I could keep tack of the pattern--wrong!! I'm using the ML method. Placing a marker at the beginning has made my life so much easier! :teehee:

Ingrid
03-21-2007, 11:30 PM
Yeah--this pattern doesn't really allow you to easily use the tail for reference. :shrug:

jhelanee
03-22-2007, 12:35 AM
I finished my socks! :cheering: :happydance:

Pics tomorrow.... right now I am a bit :clink: from having more wine than usual with a nice dinner out. :teehee:

Vendie
03-22-2007, 07:26 AM
I've successfully been able to use my tail to mark the beginning of the round on mine. Even with moving stitches between each full pattern repeat. I dunno, it just seems to work for me. Maybe it's just a dpn vs. ML thing?

I seem to get into the most trouble on the foot, with the way the pattern shifts. By the time I'm done with the sock, it makes sense to me, but the whole time I'm knitting it, I'm glued to the chart - which is not the case on the leg (I hardly look at the chart anymore - just to get started, and again about halfway through, just to make sure it's all lined up).

Ingrid
03-22-2007, 08:26 AM
Ah, but Vendie--you are the sock queen! How many miles of sock yarn do you have? Hmmm?

I haven't even gotten to the foot part yet, so it's not even a sock issue. It's an Ingrid issue. :teehee:

Ariane100
03-22-2007, 10:10 AM
I put a homemade row counter (a piece of yarn tied to form 11 holes) at the beginning of my round. It helps me keep track of both the beginning of the round and the number of the round. It's working great so far! (crossing fingers)

Andrea
03-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Pics tomorrow.... right now I am a bit :clink: from having more wine than usual with a nice dinner out. :teehee:

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

:clink:

Vendie
03-22-2007, 05:09 PM
Ah, but Vendie--you are the sock queen! How many miles of sock yarn do you have? Hmmm?

No, I'm only the sock YARN queen (I've only finished 3 pair, and not all matching). And I don't sharez. :teehee:

And I'm sitting at a little over 10.5 miles :shifty:

Ingrid
03-22-2007, 10:43 PM
Love the avatar!! :rofl:

RachelJean
03-23-2007, 12:39 PM
Hmmm....we're measuring our sock yarn by the mile, now? I think that's going to require a lot of math.... :?? Let's just say I won't run out for a long long time. :teehee:

RachelJean
03-23-2007, 12:48 PM
Do you think this pattern would "work" in Knitpicks Gloss in burgundy? ( do you think the pattern will be visible)

Nobody answered your question! I think the pattern would look great in burgundy.

kniftyknitter12
03-24-2007, 06:47 PM
I am on the heel flap, and it says to repeat rows 3 and 4 12 times more. So do I repeat these 2 rows for 12 more rows or do I repeat both rows 12 times more ( 24 more rows)? :shrug:

AmandaC
03-24-2007, 06:59 PM
24 more rows ... :thumbsup:

kniftyknitter12
03-24-2007, 07:02 PM
Thank you!!! :heart: :muah:

knew2knitting
03-24-2007, 09:03 PM
Hi everybody!! I was directed here from the main forum where I posted a qestion about this pattern. Now, bare with me, I'm still kinda new when it comes to much more than k or p. :oops: But I adore this pattern, and I really wanna try it. So my (first) question is the first stitch in chart B.

Sl 2. Place two slipped stitches back on left needle. K3tog tbl.

Now, I "thought" I understood that until I realized, if I understand it correctly, that wouldn't do a thing to slip 2 stitches and put them right back. I always understood that you slip purl-wise unless otherwise stated. And I'm not seeing otherwise stated. Am I a dork?? (don't really answer) I have never knitted from a chart before. The pattern wording on knitty.com looks so advanced for me. I know I'll have more questions, but I'll start with that one.

Thanks guys!! :muah:

Vendie
03-24-2007, 09:11 PM
yeah, I questioned that one at first too. Slip those two stitches knitwise (like with a ssk), and you should be good! (It's been working for me, anyways)

Petals
03-24-2007, 09:13 PM
sl
aka
s

slip a stitch

If they don't specify, slip the stitch purl-wise....Unless you are decreasing: then,slip st knit-wise on the knit rows, and purl-wise on the purl rows. (According to Vogue Knitting.)

Hope this helps.

knew2knitting
03-24-2007, 09:15 PM
AAAHHH....fan-tab-u-lous. Most everyone that answered me on the Main had not made these. So I'm glad to get the answer here. I'm getting so much info by reading everyone else's questions.

:happydance:

knew2knitting
03-24-2007, 09:17 PM
sl
aka
s

slip a stitch

If they don't specify, slip the stitch purl-wise....Unless you are decreasing: then,slip st knit-wise on the knit rows, and purl-wise on the purl rows. (According to Vogue Knitting.)

Hope this helps.

So I am decreasing then, right? Since I k3tog??? (hoping this doesn't sound dumb)

Petals
03-24-2007, 09:25 PM
:thumbsup: You got it!

knew2knitting
03-24-2007, 09:32 PM
Ok then...WOW, I think I'm gonna give it a try. :help: :pray:

redwitch
03-25-2007, 07:16 AM
I've always understood the rule as: always slip purlwise with 2 exceptions
1-unless the pattern says knitwise
2-unless the slipped stitch is going to be passed over another stitch and dropped off

but if the stitches are going straight back onto the left needle I think it's clear that they are meant to go kwise, especially for decreases like this. But I also think it should have been specified in the pattern. A pattern should be super-clear so that a beginner can know what is meant, not just experienced knitters.

Sarah

knew2knitting
03-25-2007, 10:25 AM
I totally agree, redwitch. I obviously read the pattern before starting, and if I can't understand it I'm not gonna try it. Although its usually something sipmle that I could do if I knew what they were actually saying. :??

On a brighter note, I'm looking through my stash to find just the right one. Maybe I'll cast on today. :yay:

SandraEllen
03-25-2007, 08:27 PM
So I'm done with the 2nd set of chart on the leg. I'm a little worried that I'll run out of yarn if I do 3 sets.

Am I on crack? I see that Vendie ran out of yarn... Should I just go for it or should I only do 2?

What do you all think?

I have size 7.5 feet and I have 36 grams of yarn left (for each sock) right now...

edit: what if I do 2.5 sets and rearrange the sts so that I'm doing everything in the right place? Is that possible?

what to do... what to do...

Lieke
03-26-2007, 02:49 AM
If you are afraid you're running out of yarn, I'd turn the heal at 2 repeats. I think the leg is rather long, so in my opinion, you can miss 1 repeat.

Vendie
03-26-2007, 08:08 AM
A lot of people modify this pattern so that they start the heel after 2 pattern repeats b/c they think the cuff is too long. I personally like the cuff that long, and didn't realize I was running out until I got to the toe, which is why I did a contrasting toe.

But if you cut the cuff short, I think it would look better with 2 repeats instead of 2.5 - mostly b/c when you start the pattern across the foot, it assumes that you completed the full pattern repeat. It might look a little funny if you stopped half way through the cuff repeat and then start over on the foot.

AmandaC
03-26-2007, 08:22 AM
I used the Claudia Handpainted Yarns - 2 skiens - total 350 yards.

I had enough to do 3 pattern repeats on the leg and I am a UK 5 which I think is a US 7.5 :shrug:

I didn't have LOTS left (enough to make 2 iddy biddy skeins for a keyring)

I agree with Vendie - stick to either 2 or 3 pattern repeats unless you are willing to use brain power for the foot part ....

SandraEllen
03-26-2007, 09:45 AM
hmm... it looks like i should have enough yarn. I'm using 1 hank of knitpicks essential bare. 100grams at 462 yards. I guess I'll just go for it and keep my fingers crossed.

Vendie
03-26-2007, 11:17 AM
Yeah, you should be fine. The Koigu 350 yards total for the two hanks. Either I would have had just enough or my hanks were a little on the light side. I'm between a 7.5 and 8, but I like my socks snug, so I would have knit them smaller.

Petals
03-28-2007, 08:29 PM
Finished with 2 yards of yarn left, whew!!

I have one sock that is lighter in color than the other :verysad: But, I'm sure as heck not going to let that stop me from wearing them!

The yarn was Fleece Artist, color Seashore.

Not the best pics but you get the idea.

Ariane100
03-28-2007, 08:59 PM
Petals, they're lovely! Now I'm scared though, I thought I would have more than enough with my Fleece Artist Basic Merino Socks. I hope I won't run short...

Vendie
03-28-2007, 09:21 PM
Very pretty! It's interesting how one hank produced such different looking socks. Only two yards left? Close one!

Petals
03-28-2007, 09:51 PM
Thanks.

Ariane, I'm a big foot--size 9. According to my calculations my gauge was good. but I did decrease the circumference around the foot some or I probably wouldn't have had enough yarn. I also worked the leg chart 3 times which I wouldn't have done if I'd only knew I was going to be cutting it this short on yarn.

Lieke
03-29-2007, 03:06 AM
I've finally turned the heel of sock # 1 :happydance: . I hope I won't run short on yarn. Didn't know it was such a close call on a lot of you. Well, we'll see. Fortunately, I'll know after 1 sock. (I don't even want to think about frogging)

RachelJean
03-30-2007, 12:57 PM
Petals, those socks are very pretty. I finally finished sock #1. However, it's not an FO until both socks are done, so no pictures yet.

Jess_knit
03-30-2007, 04:04 PM
I've been working on these socks for weeks, but I had to take a break. I've not had very much knitting time, which means I only have the leg and half the heel flap done on sock #1. I've set it aside for now to make some more Fetchings... I'm betting the socks'll be done just in time for the winter season to start again :teehee:

jhelanee
04-05-2007, 07:24 PM
So I finally got around to taking pictures of my socks. :cheering:

They are out of Socks that Rock Lightweight in colorway Blue Brick Wall.

I ran out of yarn during the toe of the second sock, and the only reason they worked out was that somehow the sock with 3-4 fewer rows was nearly as long as the first. My gauge must have been different just slightly between the two. :shrug: Anyway, some friends of mine have also done these out of STR and been fine with the medium weight, but had similar close calls with the lightweight. Something to think about before starting the next pair...

Petals
04-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Sooooo nice! I love the color! :heart: :heart:

Cut it close on the yarn!! Same here--but only had about 2 yards left.

Lieke
04-06-2007, 01:52 AM
They look wonderfull.

I'm starting to get anxious as well. Afraid that I won't have enough yarn. That would mean frogging to the 2nd pattern repeat and doing the heel and foot again. :verysad: Well, I keep hoping I'll have just enough.

Ariane100
04-06-2007, 03:34 AM
They look great! But whew, that was a close call!!!

Andrea
04-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Gorgeous!!! :cheering:

knitknut
04-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Those are awesome, jhalenee! :notworthy:

My yarn should be here today! :happydance: Can't wait to get started.

SandraEllen
04-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Look at all the socks! I'm way behind. I'm getting ready to start the heels.

I'm considering using a smaller size needle on the foot so the sock will be a little snugger. Has anyone else tried that?

KathyinCali
04-06-2007, 05:02 PM
They look great! Whew, you did have a close call didn't you?

Eloewien
04-07-2007, 12:26 AM
I absolutely love this pattern... maybe i'll make a pair... someday. I've got WAY too many projects right now!!!

Vendie
04-07-2007, 08:41 AM
Look at all the socks! I'm way behind. I'm getting ready to start the heels.

I'm considering using a smaller size needle on the foot so the sock will be a little snugger. Has anyone else tried that?

The very first Pomatomus I made, I did them on size 1's. Comparing it to the one on size 2's they are snug in the foot - just right - but a little too snug in the leg. So I think doing size 2 on the cuff and size 1 on the foot (or whatever combo you're using) sounds perfect.

Vendie
04-07-2007, 02:38 PM
Hot of the needles!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/211/449693357_f90888b98a_m.jpg

Yarn: Koigu KPPPM with Fleece Artist (toe)
Needles: US 2 dpns
Start to finish: early Feb - Apr 7
Verdict: Comfy cozy!

Ariane100
04-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Those look good! The contrasting toe is fun! Did you make any modifications (apart from the color of the toes!)?

Vendie
04-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Thanks!

The only modification I made involved making a rounder toe. The pattern calls for 12 stitches total on the toe for grafting. I left 24 (12 on each needle). It's a bit shorter, so I started it a little later, but I really like how it turned out. I find the toe as written is too pointy.

Lieke
04-08-2007, 02:45 AM
Those look really nice.

I finally managed to finish my first sock yesterday. I tried to make pics, but I don't have the right light yet. (the sun is shining trough my curtains and it's giving a red glow) I'll try to make pics as soon as possible, but have to wait for my mom to be out (or asleep, like now)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-08-2007, 12:08 PM
:inlove: everyone's socks look so fabulous.

I wish the sock bug would bite me. :help:

SandraEllen
04-08-2007, 10:47 PM
I finally turned the heel and picked up stitches for the gussets.
talk about a nightmare.... 2 socks together on 2 circs... ugh.

but here you go. progress so far. I think the stitch markers really make them look like fishies. catfish maybe???

http://www.brewerdigitalarts.com/knitting/images/fishies.jpg

Vendie
04-09-2007, 11:04 AM
oh wow, you're doing them on circs?! Brave, you are! They look very nice, but maybe a little fish like with the markers and the circs :teehee:

RachelJean
04-09-2007, 01:52 PM
Everyone's socks look marvelous!

I finally finished my pomatomus last night. The yarn is Angora Valley lacewing in the color citrus. They are so bright that I thought they might glow in the dark, but they don't. :teehee: I really like the way these look. Even my DH commented about my "fancy stitches" and he usually pays no attention to my knitting.

SandraEllen
04-09-2007, 02:25 PM
PRETTY PRETTY!!!

they are pretty darn bright, but perfect for a pair of jeans!

Vendie
04-09-2007, 05:25 PM
They look awesome Rachel! :cheering:

Lieke
04-10-2007, 01:55 AM
they look great. I love that bright color

Ariane100
04-22-2007, 07:47 AM
I just finished my first Pom! I even did a decent Kitchener stitch, I'm so proud! The color is deeper and less orange than what it looks like in the pic. It's Fleece Artist Basic Merino Socks, color sangria. I knitted it on 2.0 mm (size 0's), on Magic Loop.

Off to cast on for the second one!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/alazarides/IMG_0913.jpg

Vendie
04-22-2007, 09:41 AM
ooooooh gorgeous! :inlove:

Eloewien
04-22-2007, 10:18 AM
I have got to order up some sock yarn to make these... at some point :)

Lieke
04-23-2007, 02:42 AM
That looks wonderful.

I found a way to finish my second sock quicker. I'll give mom sock#1 on mothersday and tell her the other one will come soon. That way, I can knit the second one at home, where most of my knitting time is.

SandraEllen
04-23-2007, 03:50 PM
I :heart: the red/orange poms.

and here are mine. I finished them up this weekend. KP Bare fingering dyed with Wiltons cake dyes.

http://www.brewerdigitalarts.com/knitting/images/pom.jpg

Ariane100
04-23-2007, 04:07 PM
Lovely! Great dye job!

Andrea
04-23-2007, 04:38 PM
GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!111 :inlove:

Lieke
04-24-2007, 02:13 AM
that looks great :heart:

Lieke
04-29-2007, 03:55 AM
I've finally made a picture of my first pomatomus:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/Liekevangenesen/pomatomus1af.jpg

AmandaC
04-29-2007, 04:27 AM
gorgeous Lieke :happydance:

CateKnits
04-29-2007, 04:31 AM
I need to make some of these!

Vendie
04-29-2007, 07:41 AM
yes you do Cate.

Gorgeous Poms SandraEllen and Lieke! I love seeing this pattern knit up in so many colors.

knitwit628
04-29-2007, 08:37 AM
I love these socks!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are they hard to make?! I am sooo making these sometime! :happydance: All of you did a really nice job... very colorful!

dustinac
04-30-2007, 12:08 AM
Is it to late to join? Every ones socks look wonderful :cheering: Sandra Ellen I dyed some yarn the same colorway almost.. I almost picked it and then changed my mind for another dye I had done.. they look wonderful :happydance:

I started today.. The YOs and stuff look icky :rofl: I'm thinking of starting over on smaller needles tomorrow.. :teehee:

Vendie
04-30-2007, 07:18 AM
I have a feeling that this is an ongoing KAL, it's such a popular pattern.

No, I don't think these are very difficult, especially if you are familiar with basic sock construction or even basic lace techniques. I find them quite addictive, actually. You might find yourself glued to the chart for awhile, though. It's not the most portable project for that reason.

Lieke
04-30-2007, 01:25 PM
Well, I don't think they are hard. I've done things that are way more difficult. The chart isn't as dificult as it looks. Just try it. If it's not your think, you'll find out pretty soon and then at least you know it's not your thing and you can stop wondering wether you'll like this pattern or it's not to difficult for you etc.

Just try it. If I can do it, everyone can.

carmabelle1191
05-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Is it possible to do them on 2.5 mm needles? My foot circumference is 7.5 in. :shrug: I really want to make them! Otherwise I'll go for Monkey.

dustinac
05-02-2007, 04:23 PM
:shrug: I started mine on 3s but didn't get the gauge it called for.. ended up with 1s to get what was listed on the pattern :teehee:

I'm turning the heel :cheering: these are so simple I don't know why I was thinking they would be hard.. and once I did the first pattern I could take them outside and work on them knowing what to do next.. will get pictures this evening... :happydance:

oh and I got smaller YOs by doing Cookie's tip on KG... I didn't put the YOs in when working that round.. instead the following round I picked them up and it worked out a lot better.. cause at first I wasn't digging the big YOs :rofl:

carmabelle1191
05-02-2007, 04:39 PM
I think you've convinced me...I'm going to go for them! I'm sure they'll come out fine on the 2.5 mms (says the tight knitter :teehee: ). I'll let you know how it goes.

dustinac
05-02-2007, 06:17 PM
:rofl: I'm a tight knitter too.. all my bamboo needles are bent.. I have the options but they are bent too :rofl:

This time I used a b-day gift from mom Sox Stix from Lantern Moon that are 5" I really like that length for socks.. :happydance:

Here is my progress.. starting the foot :happydance:

best thing is spring is here so while the kids play and run.. I can knit in my swing.. YESSSSSS I love warm weather...

carmabelle1191
05-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Those are gorgeous! I love the colors. I just cast on two at time on one circ (I found a tutorial (http://files.blog-city.com/files/aa/3830/b/2on1n.html) for how to cast them on cuff down) and am on the first half rounds (not even a full round yet :rofl:). I'm not sure I picked the greatest yarn though, because it keep splitting. Oh well. :shrug:

NinaT
05-02-2007, 07:41 PM
I'm in too! I cast on with size 1 dps (I am a loose knitter) and got through the cuff and decided it looked really small. So now I have started on size 2 circs and I think it should be fine. These are going to be so much fun! I figured that the set up row was actually row 1 of Chart A so I knit 2 tog tbl instead of k2tog. Hope this was the right thing to do. I'm using Knit Picks' Dancing and it should be perfect. I'm glad there are others who are just joining in now.

knitwit628
05-02-2007, 07:43 PM
Beautiful job! And I agree, spring is a wonderful time of year!!! Oh, I wish so much that I could try these socks but right now I have so many things I want to and am knitting. I still gotta finish my "Fuzzy Feet" socks that I started last summer!!! Oh my!!! :oops:

Lieke
05-03-2007, 04:57 AM
Is it possible to do them on 2.5 mm needles? My foot circumference is 7.5 in. :shrug: I really want to make them! Otherwise I'll go for Monkey.

I'm doing them on 2.5 mm needles and that works perfect for me

cougarchick
05-03-2007, 08:51 PM
Nina T let me know how the knit pick's dancing works i have some and was considering using it for these socks

carmabelle1191
05-03-2007, 09:46 PM
Is there an easier way to do those k2tog tbl? They are driving me nuts and killing my hands! :wall: Maybe I should get a tiny crochet hook to help...but do they even make them that small? :wall:

SandraEllen
05-03-2007, 10:59 PM
They do make crochet hooks that small, but I have problems making them work.

To work my K2tog tbl, i never had a problem gettting into the first stitch, it was the 2nd that was always the problem. When i had problems, I stuck my needle through the first st (like you would when you're doing the k2tog tbl), moved it to the right needle, then worked my way into the 2nd stitch. then worked my way back into the first stitch with the left needle and do the k2tog tbl.

hope that helps!

carmabelle1191
05-07-2007, 03:57 PM
That's a good idea, but I've decided to give them up for a while because the odd stitches have been hurting my right hand, I even had to ice it once (this shouldn't be happening to me! I'm only 13! :pout:). I'm working on another pair of socks in the meantime though. I hope I'll get to Pomatomus eventually... :verysad: :shrug:

knew2knitting
05-07-2007, 04:09 PM
Ok, guys, I need a little help. :?? I am almost finished with my first sock. (woohoo) I am sooo excitied. But I have gotten stuck on the second round of the toe, where it talks about omitting the YOs. I understood the first round, "omit all YOs", but the next round is giving me troubles. I have 33 stitches to begin that row. The way I knit it, the pattern doesn't line up. Can anybody help me in verrrry simple steps? :oops:

TIA!!

dustinac
05-07-2007, 04:36 PM
I'm sorry about your hands.. are you knitting to tight maybe? I hope they feel better soon...

I'm on the foot part of my sock.. had a rough go the first few rounds but I think I get it now :rofl: I haven't had much time to work on them as I would like.. and now I'm working on a b-day gift... hopefully soon...

NinaT
05-07-2007, 05:21 PM
Cougar Chick,
Sorry it took a while to respond. The Dancing is working beautifully! I like that it has a little elastic. I haven't finished a whole sock yet so I haven't been able to try it on. It's definitely not soft but the colors are fabulous. Good luck!
Nina

Ariane100
05-08-2007, 12:53 PM
oh and I got smaller YOs by doing Cookie's tip on KG... I didn't put the YOs in when working that round.. instead the following round I picked them up and it worked out a lot better.. cause at first I wasn't digging the big YOs :rofl:

How do you do that? I don't like the big YOs too much either, I'd love to learn another way! What's KG?

I just started the foot of the 2nd sock, yay! Can't wait to be able to wear the pair!

knew2knitting
05-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Ariane, I think KG would be Knitty Gritty on DIY Network. But I didn't see Cookie's show, so I don't know what the tip was. :shrug: Since you have finished one sock, could you give me some tips on my "toe problem"?? (see above comment) :pray:

TIA!!

Ariane100
05-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Oh, I don't get the DIY network, too bad. I would still like a description if anybody in the know has time!

Ok, guys, I need a little help. :?? I am almost finished with my first sock. (woohoo) I am sooo excitied. But I have gotten stuck on the second round of the toe, where it talks about omitting the YOs. I understood the first round, "omit all YOs", but the next round is giving me troubles. I have 33 stitches to begin that row. The way I knit it, the pattern doesn't line up. Can anybody help me in verrrry simple steps? :oops:

TIA!!

I've been trying to figure out what I did on my first toe for the last several minutes and I'm still not sure... :??

The way I read it, on the 2nd round, you knit tbl the knit tbls, purl the purls, and k2tog tbl in the appropriate place (i.e. to extend the slanted k2tog tbl line). You skip the stitches that would have been made with the YO from the previous row, *AND* you skip the first YO in this round.

What's not lining up?

knew2knitting
05-08-2007, 05:54 PM
OK, I din't really understand the "skipping the stitches that would have been YOs" part. But I think I do now. So you're just stitching the same stitch from previous row EXCEPT for the YOs (after the first one). I think I understand, even though the previous sentence doesn't sound like it. :??
Thanks for your help. And, I went to the DIY web page for that episode. It really doesn't explain it. Just states what "dustinac" wrote. I also would like to learn about the "pretty" YOs. :teehee:

Thanks again!! :muah:

dustinac
05-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Hey guys, yep KG is knitty gritty.. I'm not the best at explaining :oops: but I'll try :teehee:

When you are working the pattern and you see YO... you don't do it.. instead the next round where the YO should be you pick it up.. it is like a M1 where you pick up the bar in between the sts but you knit through the wide space to create the YO.. It really did help..

although on the foot pattern I couldn't do it.. I might be able to this next pattern repeat.. but at first I had problems on the first few rows so put the YOs in when the chart stated to do so.. this way I could concentrate on why I was having a hard time... :rofl:

I hope this helps.. if not lmk and I'll try to help :cheering: