PDA

View Full Version : knit dolls

lmc
02-18-2007, 09:12 PM
I've been enjoying knitting toys for the past several months.
These were made for twin 2 yr old grandchildren. I modeled them to look a little like them (but the real kids are cuter!) The little girl really has curls like these (I got these at Michael's craft store).

The fair isle sweater was a first...and it took to the second sleeve to get the patten right.

I love the shoes and socks best.

More photos to follow.

HamaLee
02-18-2007, 09:50 PM
How fun are those?! I love them, great work! :cheering:

Jan in CA
02-18-2007, 10:51 PM
Very cute!

Aquaria
02-18-2007, 11:18 PM
Wow! Great job! :cheering:
Your kids are gonna love these! :teehee:
I'm looking forward to see your other dolls! :happydance:

Knitting_Guy
02-18-2007, 11:50 PM
Pretty cool. Good work. :frog:

Compulsive
02-19-2007, 12:11 AM
Those are wonderful looking dolls--love the personal details. Do you have a link to the pattern or book title? I'd love to make similar dolls to give as gifts.

lmc
02-19-2007, 01:16 AM
The book is called Homemade Beautiful collection of things to make
Cole's Library of Crafts (I found it in a used bookstore)...
page 106 Ruben and Rosie dolls.

Here's a bear I made for a cousin's baby shower gift.

lmc
02-19-2007, 01:30 AM
Another book easy to get is Toys to Knit by Tracy Chapman. 2006 Collins and Brown Ltd. I also made a doll from this book. Doll clothes, the elephant and the Teddy bear in the photo above. I made my Teddy look more feminine than the one in the book. Have fun. I sure am.

lmc
02-19-2007, 01:34 PM
I made this doll, my first for my daughter's friend who had a new baby...actually the elephant was for the new baby and the doll for his 2 1/2 yr old sister. She loved it. Started undressing and dressing it immediately, gave it her own name. I do try to make my dolls look like the kids I am giving them too. (Not that this one does much)...

Next dolls being made now are Grandpa and Grandma dolls. I bring a Grandma's bag of toys and books when I go to visit or babysit and these grandparent dolls and the boy and girl dolls will reside in my bag. They love digging in to see what's new and what old loved toys are still there. It's a fun ritual.

Aquaria
02-19-2007, 08:14 PM
I made this doll, my first for my daughter's friend who had a new baby...actually the elephant was for the new baby and the doll for his 2 1/2 yr old sister. She loved it. Started undressing and dressing it immediately, gave it her own name. I do try to make my dolls look like the kids I am giving them too. (Not that this one does much)...

Next dolls being made now are Grandpa and Grandma dolls. I bring a Grandma's bag of toys and books when I go to visit or babysit and these grandparent dolls and the boy and girl dolls will reside in my bag. They love digging in to see what's new and what old loved toys are still there. It's a fun ritual.

Wow! Amazing! :inlove:
You're so good at making dolls!, I love 'em! :cheering:

ekgheiy
02-19-2007, 09:49 PM
The book is called Homemade Beautiful collection of things to make
Cole's Library of Crafts (I found it in a used bookstore)...
page 106 Ruben and Rosie dolls.

Here's a bear I made for a cousin's baby shower gift. AAwww...:inlove:

lmc
02-19-2007, 11:38 PM
Its nice to get feedback...
stay tuned...grandpa doll will get arms tonight and maybe his beard...clothes not far behind...then comes grandma doll!

Cristy
02-23-2007, 12:25 AM
those are adorable!

lmc
02-23-2007, 03:46 AM
Thanks Cristy...
Update on Grandpa doll. He has his long pants finished and have started on his sweater.
In the meantime my 13 yr old grand daughter has requested a doll in her likeness. I may be doing these for years to come!
Enjoying every stitch of the way!

Shannon4J
02-24-2007, 12:09 AM
Too Cute!!! GREAT job!!

lmc
02-24-2007, 06:47 PM
I finished Grandpa Fred doll yesterday. He still needs shoes and socks.
But today he'll go with Yaeli doll and Aaron doll to see the real kids for the first time. Next time I should have Grandma Lynn doll finished.

lestrella
02-24-2007, 10:40 PM
wow! You are amazing! These dolls are awesome.

I love making dolls too. I'm a new knitter and I haven't tried knitted dolls yet, but I made a bunch of them in crochet for my nieces and nephews. It is so much fun to make them!

:hug:

lmc
02-25-2007, 04:10 AM
Are the little girl dolls in your photo under your name dolls you crocheted?
They look really cute! Hope you post more of your creations too.
Isn't it fun?

lestrella
02-25-2007, 03:28 PM
Are the little girl dolls in your photo under your name dolls you crocheted?
They look really cute! Hope you post more of your creations too.
Isn't it fun?

Yes! I made them for my nieces for Christmas. I wanted each dolls to have the girls personalities. I think the dolls came out adorable but my nieces didn't like them. I was a little dissapointed. I don't blame them though. They were bombarded with disney princesses at the same time. I can't compete with disney :teehee: .

I've been meaning to put pictures of my work in one of those photo websites. As soon as I do it, I'll put a link to it so everyone can see.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

lmc
02-25-2007, 04:32 PM
I"d love to see a larger photo of your dolls. I think they are adorable and I too like making mine in the likeness of the kids themselves.
Put them away or keep them at your house for when they visit. Then they will be special for special times. I am keeping mine in my "Grandma's Bag of toys and books" that I take to their house when I babysit and they go through here at my house when they visit. Mine were a little put off by the grandpa doll but loved the ones like themselves.
I'll try to load photos of them holding their dolls for you (all) to see.
I have to go shrink the photos first then I can load them here. Be back soon. :happydance:

lmc
02-25-2007, 05:02 PM
My twin grandkids loved their new dolls Grandma knit for them!
After baths and hair washing both kids wanted clips in their hair.

lmc
02-25-2007, 05:22 PM
My real doll with her knit doll! :muah:
This is WHY we do all this knitting, right? :heart: :heart: :heart:

lestrella
03-06-2007, 12:39 AM
I"d love to see a larger photo of your dolls. I think they are adorable and I too like making mine in the likeness of the kids themselves.
Put them away or keep them at your house for when they visit. Then they :happydance:

lmc, I was finally able to upload some photos in flickr. Check out the link in my signature. Those are just some of the things I've made.

Your grandkids are adorable. They seem to really like their dolls.

Your grandpa doll is Wow! :yay:

knit-a-holic
03-06-2007, 01:40 AM
Those are great! I :heart: all of them!

lmc
03-06-2007, 02:57 AM
Oh Lestrella, :muah: Your dolls are exceptionally wonderful. I looked at all seventy photos. I wish I'd taken notes. I love the early blue sweater!
So many clever patterns and choices of colors...Your neices are all so lucky to have you. You have been VERY Busy for such a long time making these precious toys. And doing such a beautiful job each and every time.
Glad to fianlly see the close up of the three girl dolls in the photos.
The baskets are overwhelming! Over flowing with your cleverness and art and love. I am sure these gifts were all favorites!
Thank you so much for sharing them here for all to see.

I am currently working on a teen doll "like my other's" knitted for my 13 yr old grand daughter. She asked for her to be in a bikini. Now I need her to have a coat for modesty! LOL

Will show her soon as she's done.

I loved your use of yarn for hair too. I could use some tips from you on this.

lestrella
03-06-2007, 05:38 PM
Thanks!!! :muah:

I'm so glad I found someone who loves making dolls just like me. I got inspired by your dolls and now I would like to try a knitted doll. Do you work them on the round?

For the hair, I used to stitch the yarn strands one by one. It takes a long time, but it looks really neat.

As soon as I finish with my march monthly challenge (entrelac) and my oddball blanket project, I'll start working on a doll. Yeah!!! :cheering: :happydance: I have a new partner.

I wish we were closer so we can get together and learn new tips from each other.

:muah:

saracidaltendencies
03-06-2007, 11:01 PM
Aww, how cute! And the pics of your grandchildren with the dolls are too sweet! I'm going to have to get a book with doll patterns, I know my kids would absolutely love them! Great work!

lmc
03-07-2007, 12:55 PM
Thanks to all who praise my doll making. Yes, I think all children would love these dolls.

Lestrella, I do not know how to knit in the round. So no that's not how I do it. I do the body and head in one piece then each arm and leg separately. Then attach all to the body.

Do you stitch the hair with thread or yarn? I have been gluing hair to the latter dolls. First I was just threading yarn right into the head and leaving lengths of it hanging down. I also used some embroiderary thread for the grandpa doll. And then glued some eyelash yarn for his hair and beard.
The little girl doll (1st one) has yarn hair sewn in then the curly hair is glued on top of that to give it "body"/fullness. The boy doll's hair is yarn sewn into the head and then I used dark marking pen to darken the blond a bit. So it's streaked!

Can't wait to see your first knitted doll. My Rosie and Rubin pattern dolls are better than the ones in the Toys To Knit book. The necks are stronger. The neck on the TTKB are more floppy.

Good luck with yours!