PDA

View Full Version : Silver's Learn 2 KNit Sock KAL 4 BOTH tutorials begins 3/18

Compulsive
02-19-2007, 12:52 AM
Calling all those that wish to learn to knit socks for the first time or knitters who know how to knit socks but wish to learn toe up on ML--do you want to have a sock KAL once Silver finishes her toe up ML tutorial?

This gives us time to put finishing touches on current projects--or new ones, and shop for yarn and needles.

We would love veteran sock knitters to join us, too, especially when we need a little or a lot of hand holding.

Whatcha think--yay or nay?

five_six
02-19-2007, 01:29 AM
Well, I have just finished 2 pairs of socks for the sock swap (my first ones ever, toe up on magic loop), so I might not join in, but will definately pop my head in to see how you guys are fairing from time to time.

terujoan
02-19-2007, 12:22 PM
Ooh I might as I'm supposed to be getting my Denise's soon in the post and my grandma's ordered some socks for her and grandpa! :rofl: So it would be a nice way to try out the new needles and try doing toe up socks!
Just got to find some nice warm yarn... :thinking:
So maybe, depending on when I can get the things.

ChristinaKnits
02-23-2007, 11:32 PM
ooooh, I am sooooo in!!! I have just learned ML, got the book, and supplies, I'm ready ;)

Rennagayle
02-24-2007, 02:30 AM
I've really wanted to try the ML method, but had no idea Silver was working on a tutorial. Since it was from her first tutorial that I learned traditional sock knitting, I am really pumped to hear she's doing a ML one. :cheering:

At that point, I'd love to join in. I even have my long Addis Turbos and yarn, I just need to learn the method. :??

quiltbugj
02-24-2007, 04:43 PM
This sounds like fun. It will be my first project since finding this site. I've been lurking for a week or two. I've made one pair of socks (for around the house), one single sock (just to try something different!) and am now working on some simple christmas stockings from a free pattern from patons.

auburnchick
02-27-2007, 11:37 AM
Count me in. I'm currently working on my third pair of socks on DPNs, but I just ordered some longer cables for the sole purpose of learning to make socks on ML.

YEAH! This will be my first KAL, and socks are my favorite! :cheering:

kaysdaughter
02-28-2007, 11:15 AM
Count me in on the KAL. I've made a few pairs of socks on dpns (thank you Silver!) and I love 'em but also want to learn ML. I've tried but really struggle with the long cord PLUS I keep getting ladders, which I've never had with dpns. I just know Silver will be able to get the concept thru this thick head!
I can't wait!
Paula

Compulsive
03-07-2007, 11:57 PM
:cheering: The Two Toe Up Socks using ML tutorial (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/2mlsocks_start.htm) is UP!!! :cheering:

Silver recommends the following supplies:

Worsted weight yarn: approximately 225-350 yds, depending on length
A Size 5 or 6 circular needle, at least 40 inches long
one split ring stitch marker, saftey pin or scrap of yarn
a tapestry or yarn needle
a ruler or measuring tape
and lots and lots of PATIENCE

For those with yarn & supplies, let's party, and for those who don't, hurry and join us as soon as you can!

Rennagayle
03-08-2007, 12:00 AM
Oh, yea! I have the supplies and am so excited to learn this. :happydance:

ChristinaKnits
03-08-2007, 01:41 AM
I'm a set and ready when you are :)

Jan in CA
03-08-2007, 03:15 AM
I'm going to give it a try with some worsted weight and larger needles. ;)

marykz
03-08-2007, 09:54 AM
lame newbie question: think patons SWS would work? I'm still learning how to pick yarns. the label says "medium 4" and the label gauge is 17 x 21 on 9's over 4 inches. I have a pile of their yummy natural plum striping..... MKZ

Cristy
03-08-2007, 10:52 PM
it might work...the only problem is that it isn't a "spun" yarn so it splits pretty bad....also--I used it for a scarf and found it rather itchy to wear...

madametj
03-08-2007, 11:00 PM
do u think i could use the tutorial to make just one sock at a time? she said "experienced sock knitters" plus i don't have options or addis so i have a feeling i'm gonna struggle doing just one anyway :wall: . i'm not sure if i'll do it at all :shrug:

auburnchick
03-09-2007, 12:49 AM
do u think i could use the tutorial to make just one sock at a time? she said "experienced sock knitters" plus i don't have options or addis so i have a feeling i'm gonna struggle doing just one anyway :wall: . i'm not sure if i'll do it at all :shrug:

I don't see why you can't adapt it for one sock. You're basically just doing the same steps twice. Go for it!!

Secksiebrat
03-09-2007, 01:19 AM
I'd like to join in on this one. I have some worsted weight yarn and I'll use my denises since I don't have a long enough cable with my options yet. I need to knit the other half of my bear and I'll join in.

Do we have a start date yet? I hope to start on it this weekend if not :) I'll try to post pictures as I go...and hopefully they wont be of me pulling my hair out! :)

~danielle~

AnotherBecca
03-09-2007, 07:07 AM
Sounds like fun! I've heard such wonderful things about Silver's Sock Tutorial, I even have the web address written on a scrap of paper around here somewhere... but I've definitely been wanting to try Magic Loop!!

susies1955
03-09-2007, 07:35 AM
I'm going to read, watch, and learn. I started a pair of socks and I found it tedious and the ribbing was all screwed up. I couldn't seem to keep track of where I was in the ribbing.
I AM going to learn but need some more time.
:wall:
Susie

Duckling326
03-09-2007, 01:31 PM
I'd like to join but not right now, too many (haha) projects right now. I've been wanting to try socks from toe up and two socks at once. I'll also need to buy another set of needles.

auburnchick
03-09-2007, 02:20 PM
I'm already in the process, but I'm using non-sock yarn and making them smaller. I just want to see if I can follow the instructions.

I plan on finishing by Sunday.

1to1
03-09-2007, 03:12 PM
I am going to buy my yarn this afternoon!! :happydance:

This will be my first attempt at socks (yes, I've read her warning) and I'm so excited. :woot:

I printed the tutorial and have read through the entire thing. I'm a little concerned about the heel section but will see how it goes when I get there.

The directions were so complete and detailed and the helpful picture are awesome. :thumbsup: Thanks Silver :thumbsup:

dovey
03-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Okay, so it has to be worsted weight yarn....but does that mean any type? Like should the yarn be cotton or something?

auburnchick
03-09-2007, 07:33 PM
Okay, so it has to be worsted weight yarn....but does that mean any type? Like should the yarn be cotton or something?

Are you planning on actually making some to wear or are you just playing (like me)?

If you are going to do the "real" thing, get a blend. I know that there have been several threads on this topic as to what works the best.

I've never done a sock in worsted weight, preferring fingering weight instead. But my "test" project is being done in cotton simply because the yarn is easier to handle that anything else I have, and I had two separate skeins of it.

Compulsive
03-11-2007, 01:52 AM
Some are concerned about attempting the toe-up on ML sock tutorial, so, let's just make this KAL all about the SILVER!

Anyone can join using either Silver's original Sock Class Tutorial (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Intro.htm) or the new Two Toe-up Socks on ML (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/2mlsocks_start.htm) tutorial. Please refer to the appropriate tutorial for a supply list & sock tutorial directions.

OFFICIAL START DATE: SUNDAY, MARCH 18th, 2008

Let's get our sock knit on!

1to1
03-12-2007, 02:03 PM
I finished my first sock. :woot:

Yep, just one sock. After attempting to make two, I decided to take Kristen advise and just do one. :oops: :fingerwag:

I used her tutorial and didn't have any problems except that I had to concentrate on the heel part. :?? I made most of this sock during DD volleyball tournament on Sat. But even with outside distractions and trying to watch the games I finished my first ever sock.

I am really proud of it and can't wait to complete the pair.

Thanks so much Kristen cause I couldn't have done it without your tutorial!!! :muah:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/1to1/Socks010.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/1to1/Socks001.jpg

I used http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=95770&PRODID=101663 Lucky on Size 4 needles. I followed her directions completely but just for Sock A.

Compulsive
03-13-2007, 12:32 PM
1 to 1, your sock ROCKS! :cheering:

I don't have anything in my small stash I want to wear upon my feet, so I need to get to my LYS by Sunday afternoon for some yummy sock yarn.

I think I'm going to try with a dk weight, as I don't like thick socks or wear slippers.

Post pics of your yarn selections. I also thought it'd be cool if as we knit that we make a post showing updates: before, in the middle, and final sock.

We can save bandwidth by editing one post & adding new picutres as we progress.

Also, for the sock knitting kickoff, let's throw a preknit party. We can show off our yarn, patterns, and needles, too.

BYOF & beverages, and I'm sure Amy will allow us to hang out here at her place to party.

See yuh this weekend!

1to1
03-15-2007, 01:46 PM
Just wanted to show that I finsihed my first pair. The second one was alot easier. I'm going to try to do two at once now but I did like just doing one at a time.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/1to1/Socks011.jpg

auburnchick
03-15-2007, 02:26 PM
They look great!

1to1
04-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Has anyone else did the tutorial?

Isn't it GREAT?!?!?!

Secksiebrat
04-03-2007, 02:11 PM
I've printed it out, read it over and I've got sock yarn. Now I Just need to sit down and do it. :)

~danielle~

JamOKnit
04-03-2007, 03:22 PM
Ditto for me. Ordered and received some great sock yarn from Knit Picks, have the needles and the tutorial, just need to find some time to sit down and START! :teehee:

Duckling326
04-08-2007, 07:53 PM
OK I have it printed and now just have to finish the neck down sweater. I can't wait to start two socks at once!!

MamaKnits
04-09-2007, 11:43 AM
I'm working on the DPN tutorial right now. I've got about an inch of cuff right now. I don't have enough yarn to do the recommended length so I'm making ankle socks. I've had this started for over a month now but life got in the way. I hope to make some good progress this week.

Gina

carmabelle1191
04-09-2007, 04:25 PM
I just started the two at a time socks. Here's what I got so far:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/250/452894690_b9b0da5253_m.jpg
They're for the father of a boy I'm babysitting for. I'm using Red Heart Supersaver and size 6 :heart:Addi Turbos:heart:. I have to finish them by Saturday, because that's when I'm going to babysit. I'm thinking of using cables instead of rib at the top. What do you think?

auburnchick
04-09-2007, 08:03 PM
Nice job, Sarah! Do you think the cables will stay up?

JamOKnit
04-10-2007, 02:51 PM
Finally started my first sock! I'm working with Knitpicks Memories sock yarn in Rocky Mountain Dusk (pretty blue and purple colorway) on size 2 DPNs. I'm doing the original, one at a time method and so far have gotten about 4 inches of K2,P2 ribbing done for the cuff. Following Silver's tutorial line by line, so we'll see how this turns out! :teehee:

1to1
04-10-2007, 02:56 PM
I'm thinking of using cables instead of rib at the top. Ehat do you think?

I think they look great so far and I would do the cables. I'm actuallly working on the Crossed Ribbing Socks from the More Sensational Knitted Socks and the cabling will definitely show up on the color you are using. I'm on my 4th pair of socks now and still have not done two at once. Can't wait to see the finished pair!

carmabelle1191
04-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Nice job, Sarah! Do you think the cables will stay up?
I was thinking of replacing it as ribbing, so instead of K4, P4 ribbing, I would work a cable on the K4 part every blank rows. I think it will stay up. :pray:
I think they look great so far and I would do the cables. I'm actuallly working on the Crossed Ribbing Socks from the More Sensational Knitted Socks and the cabling will definitely show up on the color you are using. I'm on my 4th pair of socks now and still have not done two at once. Can't wait to see the finished pair!
Thanks! I will post a pic as soon as I'm done. Glad to know the cables are going to show up, I was beginning to wonder (after staring at the color for a good 15 minutes :teehee: ) if the cable was going to show up or if it was going to be too dark. Now I feel better! :happydance:

JamOKnit
04-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Well, I am soon to be finished with my first ever sock! I am now on the part where you simply knit around and around to finish out the foot to the proper length. One problem I did come across while following Silver's otherwise SUPER-easy tutorial...I ended up with an extra stitch on one of my needles after doing the gusset (suppposed to be 16 sts on each of two needles and 32 on the third needle) and I had 17 on one. May have been a slip on my part where I missed a decrease, but I just added one more decrease in the next round to make it even and now I am just knitting around, around, around.... :happydance:

I'll post a pic when I finish this sock...and then on to sock #2! :hug:

MamaKnits
04-16-2007, 12:53 PM
I also finished my first ever sock last night! Yeah for us!!! :cheering:

I also used Silver's site and a ball of Magic Stripes found on clearance awhile ago. I just need to graft the toes. I made a mistake in the toe decreases but it seems OK. I'm already plotting what sock I want to knit after I finish the pair. I think I've been bitten by the sock bug.

JamOKnit
04-18-2007, 01:23 PM
First sock done! YAY!!! :cheering: :happydance:

I had a few problems with finding out I had one too many stitches on my needles at times, but I just fixed it by adding in an extra decrease. Probably had something to do with the fact that I was watching tv while knitting, LOL. Also the top was not tight enough for my liking....I tried very hard to cast on loosely, but I think tighter might make for a stretchier, tighter cuff.

Off to start sock #2!!

Duckling326
04-28-2007, 02:06 PM
Hey Silver thanks for the tutorial! I am almost finished my two at once toe up on MLN. I'll try to post when they're done!

sig
05-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Are you guys still doing this socks?? I just started the two sock tutorial, but think im going to do just one at a time. Never tried magic loop before, and think that my denises are not as "thin" as they supposed to!! mmm... anyway, still going to knit them, hope to get some addis soon. Please, if someone did them with denises let me know how did they turn out! :muah:

Oznog27
05-15-2007, 06:30 PM
Can I join, too? I just got some great sock yarn from knit picks and am determined to learn how to knit socks! :P

mimi
05-16-2007, 01:49 PM
I'm in. My daughter gave me Cascade Fixation for Mother's Day and she wants me to make socks for her daughter.