PDA

View Full Version : Oddball Blanket #1 is Complete!

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Shandeh
12-02-2007, 12:28 AM
Yay! I love your story about the blanket! :hug:

HollyP
12-02-2007, 03:08 PM
What is it about that blanket that draws animals to it? I had the worst time keeping my cats away from it!! All of the unwoven end were driving them crazy!

misha rf
12-04-2007, 12:07 AM
So, I started knitting on the blanket today. It's actually made a couple of trips out to find yarn, b/c I didn't have anything I liked in my stash. I settled on Classic Worsted Tapestry (http://www.universalyarn.com/yarn.php?id=67) by Universal Yarn, Inc., purchased at Charlotte's Fibers (http://www.charlottesfibers.com/). Astrid helped me pick it out--we had the blanket on the floor and were pulling different yarns out and putting it on them to decide. (I don't think it'll pattern like it would if you were working on a smaller project, but it's still pretty, and it goes well with the colors nearby.)

Anyway, I chose the Parallelograms II (http://www.knittingonthenet.com/stitches/parallelograms2.htm) pattern. I'm up to row 8, and as I'm looking at it, I wasn't sure that the pattern was working. You know, like maybe something was off somewhere, b/c I wasn't seeing the pattern. The Husband was in the room while I was fussing over it, and then I murmured the quote from Ingrid's signature block--"Trust the pattern." At that point, I looked at it upside down, saw that it WAS working, and said so.

My darling husband, being the total smart*** that he is, immediately said, "Trust the pattern!" (Because, you know he knows ALL about knitting patterns!)

He's still breathing. And no, there aren't any needles sticking out of him. Yet. :rofl:

Shandeh
12-04-2007, 01:15 AM
:roflhard:

Dangles
12-06-2007, 05:41 AM
Misha, you've made my day :roflhard:

misha rf
12-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Always glad to help!! :rofl:

I've actually frogged & chosen a different stitch. I was having tension issues with the one I originally chose, and I wasn't happy with it. I chose bamboo stitch (http://knitting.about.com/od/stitchglossary/g/bamboo_stitch.htm), and I'm much happier with it now. If I can get some quiet time tonight & tomorrow, I may finish by the weekend!

HollyP
12-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Can't wait to see it! That's a great stitch pattern.

misha rf
12-10-2007, 12:12 PM
I would have finished it last night, but I lost some time on Friday while working on it. My husband distracted me and I made a mistake, which I didn't catch for a while. Had to tink. :frog: And cuss. :rofl:

I'm going to K the next two rows (I did the same at the beginning), put in a lifeline, hit it with a little Febreeze and air it out a bit. I'll have to do it in our closet, b/c it's the only space safe from the cats. :teehee: It should be ready to mail by Wed. or Thurs!

Speaking of cats, the same one is being a total pain with this blanket. By and large, my cats ignore my knitting. Autumn decided that she needed to personally supervise a fair amount of this project--including trying to eat the working yarn!! My husband has gotten good about removing her. I'm guessing there must be some certain scent in there that attracts her (yet doesn't attract the others).

Shandeh
12-10-2007, 02:59 PM
We have a catnip blanket! :teehee:

I'll check with the next knitter to see if they're ready. :thumbsup:

Dangles
12-10-2007, 07:13 PM
What a pretty looking stitch, Misha.

misha rf
12-10-2007, 10:40 PM
Thank you!! :aww:

Well, it's done and airing in the closet! I took a couple of pictures, but I'm tired and don't feel like downloading them off my camera right now. (Why yes, yes I'm lazy!) I think the earliest I can get to the post office will be Thursday. I don't see me making it there tomorrow, and Wednesday is totally taken up with other stuff. As soon as you hear from the next person, Sandy, please let me know!! :muah:

Shandeh
12-10-2007, 10:46 PM
I sent a private message, but I haven't heard back yet. I'll give them a few days, then try the next knitter. So, you might have to keep it a few days longer than you planned.

misha rf
12-11-2007, 12:17 AM
Not a problem! I'll just get it boxed & ready to go. :woot:

Shandeh
12-12-2007, 10:47 PM
I sent a private message to Brrlracinbt, but she never replied. I don't have an email address for her, so I will have to move on to the next knitter.

If any of you know how to reach Brrlracinbt, let me know.

misha rf
12-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Ok, so here are some pictures!

These are the pretty stitch markers Cristy sent me.

And the blanket stretched across my kitchen table. It's about the only surface I can do this on in the house. Everything else is covered in cat hair. :rofl:

The details don't show the stitch very clearly. I couldn't zoom in enough w/o it becoming blurry. But you can sort of see it!

Shandeh
12-13-2007, 11:16 PM
Purty Purty!!! :muah:

I have a ready knitter now! Beekaync is coming over to our blanket from Oddball #5. She is also in North Carolina, so it just makes sense for her to work on it now. :thumbsup:

I'll send her address to you right now, Misha.

misha rf
12-13-2007, 11:43 PM
Thank you! :aww:

It's boxed and ready to go!! It's kinda spurred me to get other stuff ready to send tomorrow. Get as much done in one go as possible kind of thing...:teehee:

HollyP
12-13-2007, 11:59 PM
That looks great Misha!:yay:

misha rf
12-15-2007, 12:17 AM
Thank you, Holly! :muah:

Howdovely
12-18-2007, 10:08 PM
I got the blanket yesterday!!! It is BEAUTIFUL!!! And big!! I can't wait to get started on it! Misharf also sent a beautiful skein of Malabrigo Kettle Dyed Pure Merino Wool! It feels so NICE, I've never had anything so nice!! Thank you Thank you!!!

I already picked out my yarn, and will hopefully start on it tomorrow night. I had in my stash the perfect color. I will use Caron Simply Soft in Bone. I can't wait!

Shandeh
12-18-2007, 11:50 PM
Yippee! I'm so glad you got the blanket! :woohoo:

Malabrigo is divine, isn't it? Just wait until you KNIT with it. It feels like heaven on your fingers.
cloud9

misha rf
12-19-2007, 12:33 AM
I'm glad it got there safely, and that you like the Mmmmmalabrigo!

Howdovely
12-19-2007, 08:34 AM
I'm glad it got there safely, and that you like the Mmmmmalabrigo!

Mmmmmmalabrigo....... funny! I'm not sure at all what to knit with it tho - anybody have any suggestions? I'll put it on my list of next project for ME.

Shandeh
12-19-2007, 08:52 AM
One skein should be enough to make a nice scarf. It will be nice to have that yarn up around your face. :)

Howdovely
12-19-2007, 03:29 PM
One skein should be enough to make a nice scarf. It will be nice to have that yarn up around your face. :)

Ooooh, good idea! Scarves usually are a quick knit so that should be perfect! I'll have to pick a pattern out of the new 2008 Pattern a Day Calendar I just got for Christmas from a co-worker!!!!!! I love that they know me so well..............

Shandeh
12-20-2007, 04:15 AM
That was a GREAT gift! You must talk about your knitting a lot.
:wink:

feminine_earth
12-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Oh my goodness...I haven't looked at this thread in a LONG time...and the blanket...WOW!! :inlove: It is just BEAUTIFUL!! It's come such a long way since I knitted my Hello-From-Florida sunshiney yellow strip! Soooo pretty! Wonderful job everyone!!!:hug: :heart: :hug:

HollyP
12-28-2007, 12:00 AM
Kind of unbelievable how it's grown isn't it! I really can't wait to see the finished blanket!

Shandeh
12-28-2007, 09:46 AM
The thing that amazes me is that it IS almost complete, and it has taken LESS than a year!
:woohoo:

Howdovely
12-28-2007, 01:14 PM
Hi everybody! I have been knitting on the blanket a lot, but boy! It certainly takes a lot longer than I thought to do 300 stitches per row!!! I may take a little longer than the two week limit to get my part done, but I will try to get it done by next weekend! The holiday's put a little bit more on my schedule than usual, but I finally have some down time, and don't go back to work until next Wednesday. It certainly is keeping me WARM. I LOVE it!

Shandeh
12-29-2007, 08:04 AM
Just do what you can, my friend. :hug:
You don't have to knit for an entire 3 or 4 inches. You can just knit a couple inches.

I think I would like to plan on meeting in person to get the blanket from you. The next two knitters are both in Charlotte, so I can get it to them myself. :)

I can't believe our blanket is almost complete! :cheering:

Howdovely
12-29-2007, 09:26 AM
Perfect! That will work! I'll let you know closer to when I'm done.

salos
12-29-2007, 09:53 AM
Friends, that blanket looks so snuggy. You are all doing such a great job. :yay: :happydance:

Shandeh
01-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Beekaync and I met at Starbucks today, and did the blanket handoff. It looks GREAT!!!!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2296/2172902969_ebea45a81e.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2351/2173694682_652ac4a7de.jpg

newamy
01-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Oh how awesome!
I do regret not getting to see this finished blanket in person.

Shandeh
01-08-2008, 12:11 AM
Well, it's not finished yet!

I'm going to contact a couple KHers in Charlotte, to see if they want to work on it. (Knitting4babybear is next on the list)

Then, I'll end it, and add a border if necessary. Weaving in the ends will take a little time, as well.

When it is COMPLETELY finished, I'll post more photos. :)

Dangles
01-08-2008, 03:01 AM
Look at that blanket :yay::woohoo:

GennyLynn1962
01-08-2008, 07:29 AM
It looks great!!! :inlove:

Sandy- I'm so jealous of you getting to meet so many KHers.

Shandeh
01-08-2008, 08:03 AM
Sandy- I'm so jealous of you getting to meet so many KHers.
:pout: I wish I could bring everyone to you! :hug:

HollyP
01-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Oh the thought of weaving in all those ends makes my head spin. You are a very brave lady Sandy!

What kind of border are you thinking of adding?

Shandeh
01-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Oh the thought of weaving in all those ends makes my head spin. You are a very brave lady Sandy!

What kind of border are you thinking of adding?
I don't mind weaving in the ends. Easy Peasy. :wink:

I'm not sure about the border yet. I'll probably try a couple different things, and see what looks best.

Shandeh
01-31-2008, 04:24 AM
I decided to add a little excitement to the end of our blanket, so I shipped it up to Amy at KH Headquarters. She was amazed by all our work on the blanket, and added a few rows of her own knitting. She even got Sheldon to knit a few stitches! :teehee: And Ingrid added some knitting to it as well! :)

Is that cool, or what? cloud9

HollyP
01-31-2008, 11:33 AM
That is so cool! I can't wait to see it now!!

Dangles
02-01-2008, 01:35 AM
I decided to add a little excitement to the end of our blanket, so I shipped it up to Amy at KH Headquarters. She was amazed by all our work on the blanket, and added a few rows of her own knitting. She even got Sheldon to knit a few stitches! :teehee: And Ingrid added some knitting to it as well! :)

Is that cool, or what? cloud9

cloud9

GennyLynn1962
02-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Very cool!!
and :cheering: for Sheldon!!!!

Do we know who/what charity the blanket will be going to when it is finished?

ETA: I just looked back at the first page, Oddball blanket #1 is almost a year old already! Think of all of the charity projects that have been done or are in progress in less than a year!:notworthy:

Shandeh
02-03-2008, 12:12 AM
Do we know who/what charity the blanket will be going to when it is finished?
We're still contemplating the appropriate charity. Several charities are being considered, but I want to be sure it's the right one for us.

I'll DEFINITELY post an update when a decision is made.
:thumbsup:

Shandeh
03-10-2008, 11:34 PM
I have the blanket at my house now, and I laid it out on my bed to see if it's big enough yet. It's close to being complete, but still has room for a bit more knitting.

I'm adding some knitting myself now, because it's just too expensive to mail anymore. If anyone is in my area, and would like to help work on it, let me know!

I'm thinking of taking it to my cousin's yarn shop, so people can add a few rows there. I think that would be a good way to get more exposure for our projects! :)

Amy just sent a photo of herself, back when she was working on the blanket! Isn't it cool to see our forum leader helping out on our project? :heart: :) :heart:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3013/2325245775_dde09e095e.jpg

Dangles
03-11-2008, 01:13 AM
woo, that's too cool. Amy you're looking great!

Shandeh
03-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Our 1st Oddball Blanket has a gig!!!

I asked my cousin if I could take our blanket to her yarn shop, so that customers could see the blanket, read the journal, and maybe knit a few rows while they were there. I'll get a couple skeins of Plymouth Encore at the shop, and put them with the blanket.

So, if anyone did not get to participate in the knit-along, feel free to go to Cottage Yarn in Mint Hill, North Carolina (http://www.cottageyarninc.com/). You'll be able to see our beautiful blanket in person, and add your own touch as well! You can knit a few rows, and write a short message in the journal.

Have fun! :cheering:

(Our blanket still needs about 12 inches of knitting, but it's just too expensive to mail now. This is a quick way to get the knitting completed, and get some exposure for our forum project as well.) :)

Secksiebrat
03-12-2008, 12:27 AM
That is so awesome Shandeh. I wish I lived closer! Be sure to take some pictures if you can. I'd love to see how it works out!
~danielle~

Doodknitwit
03-12-2008, 01:09 AM
neat idea!

Shandeh
03-12-2008, 02:43 PM
Thanks Doodknitwit! :) I'll probably end up doing this with all the large blankets. It just makes sense. :wink:
That is so awesome Shandeh. I wish I lived closer! Be sure to take some pictures if you can. I'd love to see how it works out!
I'll be there with my camera in hand. Maybe I'll make a video of some knitters with it! :)

Howdovely
03-12-2008, 05:07 PM
What a GREAT idea! I think #1 is the one I already knit on, so if you do this with a different one, I'll be sure to go visit it and knit on that one too!!!

Doodknitwit
03-12-2008, 07:21 PM
when will you take it there?:waving:

Shandeh
03-12-2008, 11:21 PM
I'll be taking it to the shop tomorrow afternoon (Thursday).

Doodknitwit
03-20-2008, 09:25 AM
:waving: I knitted on it yesterday!!!

Shandeh
03-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Yay! :cheering:

So, how did it look?

Doodknitwit
03-21-2008, 01:26 AM
great.. it is warm and heaaaavy. the postage would cost a small fortune!!

Lucy Fan
04-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Gosh, when I logged into kh today I didn't realize that I haven't been here since October! The blanket looks awesome. I can't believe how far it has come since I had it. Great job everyone!

Shandeh
04-14-2008, 02:19 PM
I picked up the blanket from Cottage Yarn, so it's back at my house now. A few people were able to knit on it, so that's a good thing. :thumbsup:

Now, Lestrella will be adding a section of knitting. I think our blanket will be complete soon!

Shandeh
09-12-2008, 03:47 AM
I've added our blanket in my projects in Ravelry.
Check it out if you're a member!
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Shandeh/oddball-blankets-lapghans--shawls

Lucy Fan
04-07-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm just wondering what has happened to this blanket since the last post. Is it finished yet?

Shandeh
04-08-2009, 12:17 AM
I'm just wondering what has happened to this blanket since the last post. Is it finished yet?
Hi Lucy! :waving:

It's not finished yet, but I am concentrating on finishing up ALL our Oddball Blankets this year! :thumbsup:

Right now, I'm working on Oddball Lapghan #1, which needs a lot of work before it can be completed. I've completed the knitting on Oddball Lapghan #2, and will be doing the border on it soon. The lapghans are going to a rape crisis center in North Carolina.

My plan is to finish the large blankets (including #1) before cold weather comes in the fall. Wish me luck! :)

Lucy Fan
04-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Thank you for letting me know. I'm not really an active member here anymore, but I come in every once in awhile to check on the blanket. I was afraid I had missed something. Good luck getting all of your blankets complete. It sounds like a large project. :thumbsup:

Shandeh
04-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Thank you for letting me know. I'm not really an active member here anymore, but I come in every once in awhile to check on the blanket. I was afraid I had missed something. Good luck getting all of your blankets complete. It sounds like a large project. :thumbsup:
You're welcome! :)
And you're right about it being a large project. Whew! :shock:
Those blankets are SOOOO big! That's why they couldn't be sent through the mail anymore. The postage was just getting unreasonable.

I'm trying to start a local charity knitting group in my area. I think I'll bring the blankets along to those, so people can knit a row or two while they are there. :wink: Every little bit will help.

HollyP
04-10-2009, 08:22 AM
That's a great idea Sandy! I hope it works out for you!!
I was just looking at this thread and it amazes me how this is the blanket that started it all.

Shandeh
04-11-2009, 02:27 AM
Thanks for the good wishes, Holly! :)

Yeah...it's neat reading the first post of this discussion. Back in February of 2007, it was just an idea for ONE blanket.

Our project has grown to include 5 fullsize blankets, 3 lapghans, more than 20 shawls, hundreds of baby blankets, and now we're making pet snuggles too!

And there are knitters involved all over the United States and Canada. Way cool :thumbsup:

And I've also found several copycat groups all over Ravelry. I think it's wonderful to see how much fun everyone is having knitting for charity. :woohoo:

racjen
04-21-2009, 10:09 PM
hey can someonw messeage me if you ever start another one or theres one going around thanks

Shandeh
04-21-2009, 11:27 PM
hey can someonw messeage me if you ever start another one or theres one going around thanks
Hi racjen! :)
We are still working on one lapghan, but it's full of knitters.

You might want to participate in the Oddball Baby Blankets. They are much quicker to work on, and go to a great cause.

You'll find all the different regions for the baby blanket knit-alongs in the Charity Knitting section of the forum. Just look at the group that is in your part of the country.

Shandeh
06-15-2011, 07:53 PM
Ding! Ding! Ding!
Attention everyone!

Last night, I FINALLY finished knitting the last section of Oddball Blanket #1, the blanket that started our Oddball Knitting project!
:cheering: :woohoo: :cheering:

I felt tingles and chills all over as I was binding off the last stitch. I can't believe that after 5 years, our blanket is finally complete! cloud9
Of course, it could have been finished a lot sooner, but life got in the way of my knitting to complete the last few sections.

Now, I just have to weave in all the loose ends of yarn. Then, I'll check the whole blanket for any holes or other problems. Next, it will be gently washed and dried. Then, I'll donate the blanket to charity.

I'm thinking of taking it to Habitat for Humanity, to see if they are interested in it. I don't want it to just be sold in their store. I want it to be given to a family who is moving into one of their homes.

If they can't do that, I'll mail the blanket to the Yurok tribe in California. They really appreciated our Blanket #5. The other option is to give it to Project Linus, for a teenager to use.

Any input from the rest of you, on where it should be donated?

Shandeh
06-17-2011, 02:11 AM
Here is our completed blanket! cloud9
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5078/5841125555_db1771fd11_z.jpg

Shandeh
07-11-2011, 03:00 PM
I have decided to give our beautiful blanket to the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota.

Pine Ridge Reservation is the poorest spot in the USA. The average life expectancy for residents is only 47 for males and early 50s for women. The unemployment rate is 90% and the teen suicide rate is four times the national average. Basics such as running water, heat and food are scarce for many residents let alone jobs and health care. These challenges are particularly difficult to deal with given the geographical isolation of the Rez and the incredibly harsh climate.

I have communicated with the main contact (Pam Little Sparrow Wingard), and she is very pleased that we are giving them the blanket.
:heart: cloud9 :heart:
She said to be sure to share this message with all of you:
I think you and the other knitters are special angels. You will be remembered in the prayers of my Family and the Lakota family that receives this afghan.
Gentle Blessings,
Pam Little Sparrow Wingard