PDA

View Full Version : Oddball Blanket #1 is Complete!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Shandeh
02-21-2007, 12:00 PM
I have an idea for a charity project, and would like to see if anyone is interested in participating.

I am interested in making an "oddball blanket", where we each knit a few rows, then mail it to the next person, and it continues around the list. Then, when it's finished, we can give it to charity.

We would cast on about 300 stitches to start, then knit every row until it's a big rectangle. We could use any washable worsted weight yarn we have in our stash. The only thing we would be paying for is the postage to mail it to the next person.

It could be mailed to me at the end, and I would weave in all the ends and add a border. I would present it to charity, along with photos and stories of all of us that were involved in making it.

What do you think?

jhelanee
02-21-2007, 01:47 PM
Sounds like fun to me!

With something that big I think it would make the most sense to just leave a dedicated needle in it. What do you think? :thinking:

Jan in CA
02-21-2007, 02:46 PM
That does sound like fun!

I guess a dedicated needle would provide consistency, whereas slightly different sizes could produce some interesting texture and waviness..depends on what you want the outcome to be.

Jillle
02-21-2007, 05:31 PM
It could be like a Flat Stanley, where you have a picture or story about each place it visits! :happydance:

newamy
02-21-2007, 06:19 PM
It sounds fun and if you get it going I'd be happy to contribute a few rows- But would it all be garter stitch? Or could a few people throw in a basket weave section, or slip stitches, or Feather and fan, or cables?? That would be interesting.... But I think the same needle should be used through out.

The one draw back to this is that the postage will increase as it's passed along so it could be expensive for those at the end of the line to participate. Also do you want it to be a washable blanket?? That really depends on the charity. In the US they want washable usually but foreign countries like afghans for Afghans want natural fibers.

Maybe you should make a poll for what charity...

Shandeh
02-21-2007, 10:11 PM
I'm glad you are all interested. I think a dedicated needle is the way to go. I can start the blanket with an inexpensive circular needle that is easy to use and light for mailing. We can use any stitch we want, and knit as little as 2 rows, or as many as 20 rows, depending on how much yarn and time we have available.

When it comes back to me, I'll add rows the same color as the beginning to give it a sense of closure, then I'll put a simple border all around.

Postage shouldn't be too bad, and I think we would be willing to help each other out in that category if it's necessary. Just let me know if you're on a tight budget, and I'll put your name at the top of the list so your postage will be the lowest of the group.

Newamy, I think we could stick with washable yarn for this blanket. Then we can make a natural fiber blanket after we finish this one, for another charity project. I'm all for making LOTS of charity blankets. :thumbsup:

We could go ahead and get started on this one now, and then decide which charity it will go to. We'll have PLENTY of time to make our decision.

Do any of you disagree with this plan?

lissalue
02-21-2007, 10:22 PM
i would love to do this!

Shandeh
02-21-2007, 10:38 PM
Cool Melissa! If more Charlotte knitters want to help, we can work on it over the next few weeks, then I'll mail it out to the next person in line.

Jan in CA
02-21-2007, 11:16 PM
I'm in!

newamy
02-22-2007, 01:15 AM
Yep, I'm in too.

The other fun thing is that we don't get to meet or see each other in person, but we can see each other's knitting.

Shandeh
02-22-2007, 02:37 PM
Yay!!! :cheering: :cheering: This will be FUN! :)

I started the blanket last night. I cast on 300 stitches with a variegated acrylic/wool blend yarn, similar to Wool-Ease or Plymouth Encore. It's called "Classic Worsted", and is one of the 200 skeins of yarn I received in that huge bag from the yarn lady I met.

I've already knit 6 rows, and it looks pretty good. I'm going to knit some more before I pass it on to Lissalue for her added rows. We will also try to get Lestrella and Bear to add a few rows before we mail it out.

I'm thinking that we can have fun with this thing, adding small token gifts for the next person on the list if we want. (Don't add perishable food items or liquids, because they could soil the blanket.)

I'm also adding a small notebook, so we can each write a little note about ourselves, with a description of the rows we knit. (You can tape small photos inside if you want.) I could give the notebook along with the blanket to the charity we are presenting it to, or if you prefer, I can keep the notebook for our memories. We'll decide as time goes by. Either way, I will post photos of the pages here when the blanket is complete.

You are welcome to use any design you want, just be sure to end with a row of ALL KNIT STITCHES. That way, it will be easy for beginning knitters to knit their rows. I would hate for someone to get confused by yarn-overs, and end up confused and upset.

We need to try to make the afghan stay even from beginning to end. You should start your knitting session by counting the stitches on the needles to make sure there are 300 before you start. If there are more or less than 300, just do an increase or decrease near the center of the blanket to make it right.

I will already have point protectors on the ends of the needles to keep it safe during shipment, so don't forget to put them back on when you're ready to mail it to the next person!

THANK YOU ALL FOR PARTICIPATING IN OUR NEW CHARITY PROJECT!
:muah: :heart: :muah:

HamaLee
02-22-2007, 02:41 PM
Can I play??? :happydance:

Jan in CA
02-22-2007, 02:44 PM
How will be know who to send it to next? Do you have a list with addresses to pack with the blanket?

Like this sorta...

1. Shandeh
123 flower st
anytown, usa

2. Jan Lewis
456 tree st
anothertown, usa

3. Hamalee
789 farm st
yetanothertown, usa

etc..... :teehee: Or if people prefer we can email or pm you for the next person on this list. I know not everyone likes to have their address known to all.

Shandeh
02-22-2007, 02:53 PM
Of COURSE, HamaLee - We can ALL play!!!

Jan, I was thinking about that. I will go ahead and start a spreadsheet, and you can all send me a PM with your mailing addresses.

(I'm guessing that more people will be joining as time goes by, so the list will get longer and longer.)

I will send the blanket to whoever wants it next, then we will decide together who the next knitter will be. I think it will actually be a simple process, because the blanket will only go to one person at a time.

And you're right Jan. Some people will not want their addresses on a list. So, I'll just keep the list here and give out the addresses one at a time as needed.

HamaLee
02-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Of COURSE, HamaLee - We can ALL play!!!

:cheering: Yay!

I know our gears are just beginning to grind on this, but as the list of participants grows we (and by "we" I mean Shandeh :teehee: ) can try to coordinate who's next to receive based on the blanket's current location and the closest destination.

For example:
1.Blankie is in North Carolina right now

and
Hamalee (in Massachusetts)
Jan (in Cali)
FloopyDoopy (in Virginia)

are on the list to receive...regardless of sign up order, it can go to FloopyDoopy next since she's closest (provided she's ready for it). That way we cut down on time spent in transit and shipping costs.

Shandeh
02-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Good plan, HamaLee!

I have a feeling that it will end up crossing the continent a few times before it's finished. Maybe it will even visit another country!

For that reason alone, I guess it's good that we're making it with washable yarn. It will probably need a good wash before I give it to charity. :teehee:

Jan in CA
02-22-2007, 03:09 PM
Good idea to mail to the next closest person. So you need a list of names first. PM'ing you..

jhelanee
02-22-2007, 03:49 PM
I'm in! I'll PM you my address later today. Thanks again for coordinating this! :hug: :muah: :heart:

jeanius80
02-22-2007, 03:50 PM
this sounds like fun ... can't wait ( i pm'd you too) whoo hoo my first kal

feminine_earth
02-22-2007, 03:54 PM
This is a fantastic idea! I am so in! :hug:

P.S. We need a KAL button!! I'd make it, but I suck at those kinda things. :teehee:

HamaLee
02-22-2007, 04:12 PM
P.S. We need a KAL button!! I'd make it, but I suck at those kinda things. :teehee:

Ooh! Yeah, I have no idea how to make those or even put them in my sig. :pout:

Lucy Fan
02-22-2007, 04:20 PM
I lurk more then I post here, but I'm wondering if I can join. It sounds like fun.

KathyinCali
02-22-2007, 04:32 PM
I PMd you my address. I'm in SoCal like Jan :) Santa Monica

Great idea!

feminine_earth
02-22-2007, 04:37 PM

Ooh! Yeah, I have no idea how to make those or even put them in my sig. :pout:
Do you have a photo hosting account like Flickr or photobucket?

I use http://www.photobucket.com to host all my pictures, buttons, banners, etc...all you have to do is make an account with them, save the picture to your computer, upload it on photobucket (the instructions on the site are really clear), then click the BBCode link under the picture you want, copy it, and paste it in your signature. :)

Tammy6071
02-22-2007, 06:13 PM
Shandeh, sounds like a great idea!! I would love to help with this one!! Do you still have my address?? Let me know if I need to PM you with it.

Jillle
02-22-2007, 06:27 PM
I PMd you my address. I'm in SoCal like Jan :) Santa Monica

Great idea!
Me too!

carmabelle1191
02-22-2007, 06:59 PM
How far away can you be? I live in New Jersey, but I'd love to participate if I could! It sounds like a great idea! :cheering: :happydance: :muah: :heart:

mjscott
02-22-2007, 08:49 PM
I'm mostly a lurker but I would like to join as well.
thanks
maranda
ps I'm in montana

SabrinaJL
02-22-2007, 09:41 PM
Sounds like fun! I'd like to join. :)

Shandeh
02-22-2007, 11:22 PM
Yay! Lots of blanket knitters!

I've got some work to do now! So many addresses to keep track of.
I'm so glad you all want to be part of this!

I'm not the most talented artist in the world, but here's my attempt at making a button for the knit-along.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/143/399375108_2e1056d984_o.jpg

HamaLee
02-22-2007, 11:26 PM
Yay! Lots of blanket knitters!

I've got some work to do now! So many addresses to keep track of.
I'm so glad you all want to be part of this!

I'm not the most talented artist in the world, but here's my attempt at making a button for the knit-along.

:cheering: :cheering:
I ganked it! (Is that kosher? :teehee: )

Shandeh
02-22-2007, 11:31 PM
Gank away! :teehee:

Shandeh
02-23-2007, 12:03 AM
Newamy just sent me a private message with the following thoughts:
"Are you going to set a time limit like say 2 weeks to knit then send it on? I know it seems pushy but sometimes rings can get "stuck". Also if someone decides they really don't have time they should send it on or just ask to be skipped."

I agree with this 100% :thumbsup: Two weeks is PLENTY of time to knit a few rows on the blanket.

Also, some of us may have problems that arise at exactly the same time the blanket appears on our doorstep. If that's the case, just let me know, and forward the blanket on to the next person. We can send it back to you at a later date when your life isn't as hectic.

HamaLee
02-23-2007, 12:13 AM
I think that's sounds like a really good idea. Good thinkin' NewAmy

Shandeh
02-23-2007, 12:28 AM
Okay, I finished updating my spreadsheet. Right now, we have 15 knitters, including myself. Great start! :cheering: :happydance:

Here's the list, which is "kind of" in order. The first 4 knitters will be getting the blanket first, by their request. The rest of you are just listed in random order.

lissalue
feminine_earth
Lucy Fan
jhelanee
jeanius80
HamaLee
Tammy6071
Jan in CA
KathyinCali
zip
Jillle
newamy
mjscott
SabrinaJL

It's not too late to join the knit-along!! Just send me a PM with your mailing address if you want to be part of the project.

zip
02-23-2007, 12:36 AM
Me! Stick me among that California group, willya?

It's a wonderful idea, Sis!

ok ok, I'm PMing.

Shandeh
02-23-2007, 12:38 AM
Yay! I was hoping you'd join, Ginger! :heart: :hug: :heart:
(BTW, I finished Mom's poncho, but neither of us has had time to get together for her to have it. I'll try to take it by tomorrow.)

Jillle
02-23-2007, 01:31 AM
Finally! A charity for oddballs!!!! :cheering:

zip
02-23-2007, 01:54 AM
Yay! I was hoping you'd join, Ginger! :heart: :hug: :heart:
(BTW, I finished Mom's poncho, but neither of us has had time to get together for her to have it. I'll try to take it by tomorrow.)

You're a goddess to clean up my work that way. stoopid old poncho anyway.

The schedule looks like the blanket won't make it to me until after tax season, which is perfect.

Jille... :teehee:

Shandeh
02-23-2007, 06:31 AM
Finally! A charity for oddballs!!!! :cheering:
Hey, I'm the QUEEN of the oddballs! :teehee:

You're a goddess to clean up my work that way. stoopid old poncho anyway.
Yes, I am a KNITTING GODDESS. :rofl:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0786885300.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

How far away can you be? I live in New Jersey, but I'd love to participate if I could! It sounds like a great idea! :cheering: :happydance: :muah: :heart:
Carmabelle, I sent you a PM asking for your mailing address. You're more than welcome to join in! :hug:

feminine_earth
02-23-2007, 09:53 AM
Whoohoo! This is exciting! I'm stealing the button, too! :happydance:

GennyLynn1962
02-23-2007, 10:15 AM
I'm in...

Depending on when I get the blanket I may only be able to do a few rows. I've got a lot going on now, but should have time to do this.

I'll be PMing you Sandy.

I like the idea of "the blanket is in......." that will help each of us know about when the blanket will get to us. And even if I can't get around to see all of you, at least my knitting can. :teehee:

carmabelle1191
02-23-2007, 10:35 AM
How do I add the little http://farm1.static.flickr.com/129/399775715_664ad6c750_o.jpg to my signature? :shrug:

carmabelle1191
02-23-2007, 10:35 AM
How do I add the little http://farm1.static.flickr.com/129/399775715_664ad6c750_o.jpg to my signature? :shrug:
Wait, I have it!
Nevermind! :teehee: :wall:

Brrlracinbt
02-23-2007, 11:02 AM
I would love to join!

GennyLynn1962
02-23-2007, 11:18 AM
:cheering:

I finally got the "button" to work.

Sandy - I was just thinking, is there a charity close to you that you will present the blanket to, or will you have to mail it off?

newamy
02-23-2007, 11:26 AM
How do you put up the button?

I have always wanted a button, from various things, but don't know how to do it.

My first try failed so somebody please tell me. :pout:

knitting4babybear
02-23-2007, 11:28 AM
Cool Melissa! If more Charlotte knitters want to help, we can work on it over the next few weeks, then I'll mail it out to the next person in line.

You know I'm in. ;)

GennyLynn1962
02-23-2007, 11:34 AM
Here's what I did to get the button to work.

I went to

http://www.photobucket.com

registered with them.

Uploaded the 'button' from

which added it to my 'album'

then I clicked on the HTML link under the picture (on the left side of page in my case) then it gave me an option at the bottom of creating the tag. I copied the url thingy that wasn't a clickable thumbnail and then pasted it to my KH signature.

That sounds complicated, but it's really not.

I don't know if this helps or makes it more confusing.

HamaLee
02-23-2007, 11:37 AM
How do you put up the button?
:

Find the post where Shandeh linked the button and click the link. It brings you to a blank page with just the button on it. Right click the picture and choose "properties". In the middle field it says something like this:

Address: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/129/399775715_664ad6c750_o.jpg
(URL)

Copy the address from the "http" to the "jpg" (actually, I bet you can just copy it from my post right here.

Then go to your profile and in the "signature" section paste the above URL between the Image tags.
So it will say
[*img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/129/399775715_664ad6c750_o.jpg[/img*]

(Take out the asterisks when you do it, and it should show up properly)

Hope that works for you!
(And I hope this doesn't mean I'm improperly stealing Shandeh's bandwith with my button. Should I copy the button to my own flickr account?)

newamy
02-23-2007, 11:53 AM
Wow, I did it.

I knew it was a copy paste sort of maneuver, but I didn't know about the image tags.

I keep thinking my own Blog would be fun to do but I don't know all this HTML, BBC code stuff. I don't even know how to make a link.... I tried to figure it out once reading directions somewhere once and I didn't get it. If I ask my husband I still won't get it and I'll find out more than I ever wanted to know.

Jan in CA
02-23-2007, 12:19 PM
We have so many knitter's I think we also need to control the size of the blanket. Not only will it be heavy, but too large if someone does more than several rows! Shandeh, maybe you should figure out the max number of rows per person.

GennyLynn1962
02-23-2007, 12:25 PM
I thought of that too Jan.

We don't want a 100 foot blanket. :roflhard:

SabrinaJL
02-23-2007, 12:49 PM
Or maybe we could just get two blankets going.

And is there any way I could get bit closer to the top of the list. If most people have the blanket for two weeks, the blanket will be getting to me around the time I'm moving.

newamy
02-23-2007, 01:22 PM
I was thinking too that maybe you should put a max number of knitters on one blanket, and maybe as Jan suggested a max number of rows per knitter. Maybe a minimum number of rows too so you could calculate a blanket being approximately 5 feet to 7 feet long for example.
But as more people become interested start another blanket, and another, and another...

Since this might become a huge Knitting Help effort I wonder if Amy Finlay would want to participate??? After all we wouldn't all be working on this together without her web site.

Jan in CA
02-23-2007, 01:26 PM
Well so far the list isn't that large. If we each did 3 rows or so it would be fine...no?

mjscott
02-23-2007, 02:24 PM
testing to see if the button works[/img]

mjscott
02-23-2007, 02:26 PM
well now I'm confused. :shrug:

HamaLee
02-23-2007, 02:27 PM
you for the slash "/" before your second tag....to close the code it has to end [/img]

lestrella
02-23-2007, 02:32 PM
This sounds like fun. I'm totally in!!!

Shandeh, since we are so close to each other, I can probably grab it from you sometime next week. Yeah!!!!

Cristy
02-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Shandeh--I'd like to join in too and I'm in Georgia--I'll PM you w/ my specific address. I'm adding the button to my signature too.

Would it be a good idea to get a mod to move this thread to the KAL section--or should we leave it here?

Cristy
02-23-2007, 02:36 PM
OMG I swear having another baby has made me retarded...we ARE in the KAL section....

note to self---stop jumping between different categories so much...

lestrella
02-23-2007, 02:48 PM
Just testing to see If I get the "buttom" to work.

jhelanee
02-23-2007, 03:06 PM
I think if we are going to set a limit on how much an individual adds to the blanket it should be in inches rather than rows. Maybe close sign-ups for this blanket once we reach a number such that 2-3 inches each will give a good size blanket? :shrug: just my $0.02. (besides, since we are going to the trouble to mail it all over the country I would presonally like to knit more than just afew rows on it)

letah75
02-23-2007, 03:07 PM
Hey all,
I'm totally in. I think this is a great idea!!!!! Perhaps we can post pictures on this thread as the blanket passes through our hands. That way the people who have already knit it can see how it's progressing.

Looks fun....oh, I 'stole' the button too. :oops:

lissalue
02-23-2007, 03:29 PM
let me know when you are ready to give it to me, it will be a good excuse to meet up again :teehee: !!!

mjscott
02-23-2007, 04:21 PM
ok I think I've got it. Thanks

Shandeh
02-23-2007, 09:23 PM
Yay!!! Even MORE knitters! What a great bunch of people we have in the Knitting Help Forum! :muah:

I had no idea this would catch on so well and so quickly! :happydance:

I still have several PMs to sort through before I post an update, and I just got home from teaching piano lessons. So, let me go have dinner with my hubby, then I'll be back with an updated list, as well as guidelines on how much we can each knit. Hey, if we need to start out with two blankets, that's fine with me! :thumbsup:

misha rf
02-24-2007, 12:07 AM
I'd like to join!! I'll PM you with my address. Yet another way to bust some stash!! :happydance:

Shandeh
02-24-2007, 01:49 AM
Right now, we have 23 knitters, and there is room for just 2 more for a total of 25. With 25 knitters, we will each be able to knit for 3 inches on the blanket (that's about 18-20 rows of 300 stitches each). This will make the blanket measure about 75 inches long before I add the border.

If you want to join for this blanket, you'd better hurry!

If I get more than 2 responses, I will save the extra knitters as "pinch knitters", to cover for anyone who knits less than 3 inches, or changes their mind about participating.

When you receive the blanket for knitting, knit what you can, and let me know how many inches you were able to knit. I will keep a running tally of the amount knitted so far. If we need more rows knitted at the end, I will contact "pinch knitters" to help with the remaining rows.

Here is the updated list of Oddball Blanket Knitters! :hug:

Shandeh (NC)
lissalue (NC)
knitting4babybear (NC)
lestrella (NC)
GennyLynn1962 (KY)
feminine_earth (FL)
Lucy Fan (MI)
jhelanee (WA)
jeanius80 (WA)
SabrinaJL (NM)
Jan in CA (CA)
KathyinCali (CA)
zip (CA)
Jillie (CA)
letah75 (CA)
newamy (OR)
mjscott (MT)
HamaLee (MA)
Tammy6071 (CT)
carmabelle1191 (NJ)
Cristy (GA)
misha rf (NC)
Brrlracinbt (NC)

I've started off the list with the Charlotte knitters. If any of you don't have time to do it right now, I'll move you to the end of the list to knit before I add the border to finish it off.

GennyLynn1962, feminine_earth, Lucy Fan, and jhelanee have asked to be at the top of the list, so that's where they'll stay. Also, SabrinaJL needs to be placed where she is as well. I've tried to arrange the rest of the knitters in a way that makes sense geographically. (I'm the first to admit that I'm REALLY BAD at geography, so if any of you have a better plan for the list arrangement, let me know.)

Cristy
02-24-2007, 02:08 AM
The list looks good--I'm okay w/ where I'm at in the line up but geographically it seems like it would make sense to put me up near the NC knitters.

I'm so excited!!!

Shandeh
02-24-2007, 02:38 AM
The list looks good--I'm okay w/ where I'm at in the line up but geographically it seems like it would make sense to put me up near the NC knitters.

Thanks Cristy! I already have some knitters that asked to be at the top for personal reasons. I've put you at the end just before the blanket comes back home to me for the border to be added. :)

Shandeh
02-24-2007, 02:47 AM
Sandy - I was just thinking, is there a charity close to you that you will present the blanket to, or will you have to mail it off?
We'll have plenty of time to choose our designated charity while it's being knitted all over the place. There are some charities that are local to me, but I think it would make sense to give it to a national charity, since we are all working on it.

Here are a couple nation-wide possibilities for us to choose from:

Salvation Army Homeless Shelters
We provide knitted or crocheted items for the men, women and children in our homeless shelters as needed. Needs: Warm caps, socks, blankets, sweaters, slippers, etc. mostly for women and men, some for children, especially in winter.

Warm the World
Creates handmade afghans, scarves and hats for children without families, non-profit pregnancy centers, the independent elderly and families of service members stationed in Iraq. They also support privately funded overseas orphanages in Africa.

If any of you know of some other good possibilities, let us know.

GennyLynn1962
02-24-2007, 10:30 AM
Great job Sandy!

You sure are more organized than I am.

Which ever organization you all choose will be fine with me, and like you said there's plenty of time.

Maybe we should call a newspaper when the blanket is finished???? :shrug:

Cristy
02-24-2007, 10:58 AM
Makes sense Sandy--I'll be happy to bring up the rear! :)

Shandeh
02-24-2007, 12:24 PM
Makes sense Sandy--I'll be happy to bring up the rear! :)
Bring it ON, girl! :happydance: :blooby: :happydance:

Genny, I agree about contacting a newspaper! Great idea!

projectgal
02-24-2007, 01:28 PM
Great idea Sandy! I'd love to join if there is still room! I've PM'd my address.

jeanius80
02-24-2007, 02:23 PM
i just wanted to add how excited i am... :muah: i feel like a real knitter now :cheering:

jhelanee
02-24-2007, 02:37 PM
This will be fun! :happydance:

One other suggestion on a possible charity is Project Linus (http://www.projectlinus.org/index.shtml). Although our blanket may turn out larger than what they typically want. :shrug:

Shandeh
02-24-2007, 09:43 PM
Great idea Sandy! I'd love to join if there is still room! I've PM'd my address.
You're on the list, my friend! :hug:

i just wanted to add how excited i am... :muah: i feel like a real knitter now :cheering:
Yay! You ARE a real knitter! :wink:

One other suggestion on a possible charity is Project Linus (http://www.projectlinus.org/index.shtml). Although our blanket may turn out larger than what they typically want. :shrug:
Yeah, that's a great charity. But, you're right. The blanket would be too big for that. This will be a full-size blanket, so we'll need to give it to an adult or a family.

I've been thinking that since all the knitters are women, maybe we should look for a charity that helps women in need. Maybe a battered women's shelter or something like that.

Shandeh
02-24-2007, 09:52 PM
Currently, we have 24 knitters, and we have room for 1 more.

If you want to join for this blanket, you'd better hurry!

Here is the updated list of Oddball Blanket Knitters! :hug:

Shandeh (NC)
lissalue (NC)
lestrella (NC)
GennyLynn1962 (KY)
feminine_earth (FL)
Lucy Fan (MI)
jhelanee (WA)
jeanius80 (WA)
SabrinaJL (NM)
Jan in CA (CA)
KathyinCali (CA)
zip (CA)
Jillie (CA)
letah75 (CA)
newamy (OR)
mjscott (MT)
HamaLee (MA)
Tammy6071 (CT)
carmabelle1191 (NJ)
Cristy (GA)
projectgal (GA)
misha rf (NC)
Brrlracinbt (NC)
knitting4babybear (NC)

Jan in CA
02-24-2007, 10:14 PM
Looks good! Put some "reminder" instructions in with the blanket to be passed along so whoever has it can get started right away, too. ;)

lestrella
02-24-2007, 10:22 PM
:woot: I'm so excited! I can't wait!

Shandeh, you are amazing!!

lissalue
02-24-2007, 10:32 PM
sandy, you are awesome!! and that map is so cool!

carmabelle1191
02-24-2007, 10:36 PM
:cheering: :hug: :muah: :happydance: :woot: :X: :woohoo: :yay: :present:
I'm excited!

Cristy
02-24-2007, 10:52 PM
Forgive me if this question has been answered already...Will there be an address list included w/ the blanket or will you send us the address of the person who we are responsible for mailing the blanket to?

projectgal
02-24-2007, 11:21 PM
Wow Sandy! You're fast at putting this together! If there is room for one mor maybe someone from a central/south central state needs to join. It looks a little bare!

Lucy Fan
02-24-2007, 11:42 PM
I'm the only one in Michigan. :teehee: I'm a little nervous as this is my first time participating in anything like this.

Jan in CA
02-25-2007, 02:48 AM
Forgive me if this question has been answered already...Will there be an address list included w/ the blanket or will you send us the address of the person who we are responsible for mailing the blanket to?

We contact Sandy when we are done and ready to mail. Not everyone wants their address for all to see.

Cristy
02-25-2007, 11:46 AM
I agree--that's a great itdea. Sorry if I missed it in an early message!

HollyP
02-25-2007, 08:10 PM
I just sent you a Pm. Am I in time????? Please, please, please, say I am number 25 I really want to be a part of this. But if I am not I will do something else.

I am really impressed at how quickly so many people signed up! This place really is full of caring knitters :grphug: :muah:

Shandeh
02-25-2007, 08:28 PM
Yay! We now have the 25 knitters we need to make the blanket!!
(HollyP from Virginia just signed up.)
Here is the updated list of Oddball Blanket Knitters! :muah:

Shandeh (NC)
lissalue (NC)
lestrella (NC)
GennyLynn1962 (KY)
feminine_earth (FL)
Lucy Fan (MI)
jhelanee (WA)
jeanius80 (WA)
SabrinaJL (NM)
Jan in CA (CA)
KathyinCali (CA)
zip (CA)
Jillie (CA)
letah75 (CA)
newamy (OR)
mjscott (MT)
HamaLee (MA)
Tammy6071 (CT)
carmabelle1191 (NJ)
HollyP (VA)
Cristy (GA)
projectgal (GA)
misha rf (NC)
Brrlracinbt (NC)
knitting4babybear (NC)

Here is the map that shows how the blanket will travel through the nation. It will begin and end at the blue square in North Carolina.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/150/402710605_3c5bedc666_o.jpg

I finished my rows of knitting last night, so it is ready to go to lissalue or lestrella. I will contact them, and if they are not ready to work on it right now, I will move them to the end of the list and send the blanket to GennyLynn1962 in Kentucky. :hug:

lissalue
02-25-2007, 09:12 PM
I am ready whenever you are sandy! thanks! :muah:

Cristy
02-25-2007, 09:15 PM
Awesome! :cheering: :cheering: I'm so glad it's already on it's way--this is going to be so cool! ;)

Shandeh
02-25-2007, 09:22 PM
I am ready whenever you are sandy! thanks! :muah:

Yay, Melissa!! I'm available tomorrow to meet somewhere if you want. Anytime from 10 AM until 1:00 PM. You can call or PM to let me know when and where. :muah:

OR....if you want, I can mail it to you. Just say the word.

Shandeh
02-25-2007, 09:57 PM
I've decided to mail the blanket to lissalue, because I'm lazy. :teehee:

I just want to run to the post office, then go to teach my Monday piano lessons, then come home and get back in my sweats and RELAX! :)

Here's a photo of the blanket, with the notebook we'll be using for our hand-written messages. (I'll add some goodies for lissalue as well.)

Off we go!!!
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/175/402821356_6cbf331df8.jpg

lissalue
02-25-2007, 09:59 PM
that is so pretty sandy! can't wait to get it!

lestrella
02-25-2007, 10:04 PM
I was hoping that you guys were going to meet around here so I can join you too. Tomorrow is the only morning that I have free this week.

Maybe when lissalue is ready to give it to me, she can use that as an excuse to meet with us.

The Afghan is looking nice. I like your color combination. How many skeins of yarns did you use for your 3 inchs? What kind?

:muah: :hug:

lissalue
02-25-2007, 10:06 PM
that is the plan lestrella, when i get done i will meet with you and maybe sandy to pass it off. maybe we could do lunch or something? we'll see!

lestrella
02-25-2007, 10:10 PM
that is the plan lestrella, when i get done i will meet with you and maybe sandy to pass it off. maybe we could do lunch or something? we'll see!

I would love to!!!

Shandeh
02-25-2007, 10:19 PM
I was hoping that you guys were going to meet around here so I can join you too. Tomorrow is the only morning that I have free this week. Maybe when lissalue is ready to give it to me, she can use that as an excuse to meet with us.

The Afghan is looking nice. I like your color combination. How many skeins of yarns did you use for your 3 inchs? What kind?
I'm sorry lestrella! :pout: I'm just being a silly lazy girl this week. I'm pooped. :sleepy: Hopefully, when lissalue is finished with her knitting, the three of us can meet together again. That would be nice. :hug:

Thanks for the compliment on the afghan. It's just your basic garter stitch, and I've only knit 1 1/2 inches. (I want to add another 1 1/2 inches at the bottom with the same yarn when it's complete.)

I used one skein of a variegated yarn I received from that lady who works for a yarn company. (Remember she gave me 200 skeins of yarn for charity knitting?) It's called "Classic Worsted", but I don't know what brand of yarn it is. The label is just a simple white tag. I do know that it is an acrylic/wool blend, similar to Plymouth Encore or Lion Brand Wool-Ease. It has a nice sheen to it, and was easy to work with.

If anyone needs a skein of this yarn for the blanket, just let me know, and I'll mail it to you. The yarn is supposed to be used for charity, after all.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/162/402863929_1e4785b75d_m.jpg

Here are some other colors of the same yarn:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/164/402863934_8d963e6ca7_m.jpg

Lucy Fan
02-25-2007, 10:41 PM
Does it matter what colors of yarn we use or what fibers?

newamy
02-25-2007, 11:01 PM
The yarn needs to be washable, the color is up to you.

Shandeh
02-25-2007, 11:06 PM
Does it matter what colors of yarn we use or what fibers?
Any color of yarn is JUST FINE! In fact, the more colorful, the better. It will just add to the character of the blanket. Just use a yarn that is in your stash.

Make sure the yarn is washable. Acrylic is fine. So is an acrylic/wool blend. We just want the blanket to be easy to take care of.

Also, remember to use a worsted weight yarn, so the blanket keeps its shape and consistent size throughout. It might have a few rows that are knit tighter or looser, but I think that will even out at the end.

We have planned on each person knitting for 3 inches, but PLEASE don't feel pressured to knit that amount. You may only be able to knit a few rows. That's just fine. I'm sure we'll have some other knitters available to add more rows if necessary.

Yay for all our Oddball Blanket Knitters!!! :cheering: :muah: :cheering:

Shandeh
02-25-2007, 11:20 PM
I just started a blog about our blanket!
http://oddball-blanket.blogspot.com/

I'll post updates as we get them. :muah:

Jan in CA
02-25-2007, 11:28 PM
Remember she gave me 200 skeins of yarn for charity knitting?

TWO HUNDRED???! :passedout:

Shandeh
02-26-2007, 12:51 AM
Yeah, can you believe it? :shock:

Here's (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=316480&highlight=yarn+company+charity#316480) the photos of the yarn she gave me.

Jan, I know you do a lot of charity knitting too. I'll be glad to send you some skeins. :heart:

zip
02-26-2007, 01:25 AM

Here's (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=316480&highlight=yarn+company+charity#316480) the photos of the yarn she gave me.

Jan, I know you do a lot of charity knitting too. I'll be glad to send you some skeins. :heart:

Holy stash, Batman! :thud: I must plan another trip back home soon. :twisted:

But seriously, I'm so excited to be part of your project! :cheering:

Jan in CA
02-26-2007, 02:00 AM

Holy cats!! :thud: If you have more than you want I'd be glad to take some off your hands. I don't like fuzzy or too thin yarns though. :heart:

GennyLynn1962
02-26-2007, 09:07 AM
:happydance: :happydance:

The blanket looks great Sandy. You have done a great job getting this together. The map is a great idea. :notworthy:

I wish I could travel around with it. I guess in a way I will be. :teehee:

Shandeh
02-26-2007, 12:29 PM
I can't wait to see the completed blanket, and read the notebook after everyone has written a little something in it. This will be SO COOL!:)

Shandeh
02-26-2007, 12:38 PM
Holy cats!! :thud: If you have more than you want I'd be glad to take some off your hands. I don't like fuzzy or too thin yarns though. :heart:
I'm with you, Jan. I feel like there is not much here I can actually USE for charity, because of the fiber content and wild character of the yarns. She did say that I could sell some of it and use the money for charity. I think I will sell some of it on ebay, then use the money to buy good quality charity yarn. That might make better sense.

I will send you some now, though. Just be sure to use it for charity, since that's the reason she gave it to me.

I'd feel bad using it for myself. She did say it was okay for me to use some of it for myself, though. I gave a few skeins to lestrella and lissalue, and one skein of sock yarn to angelia.

It feels SO GOOD using it for this blanket now. Now, I need to get going on some more charity projects.

mjscott
02-26-2007, 01:26 PM
Shandeh it looks great. I can't wait to see it all put together. I'm jealous that some of you can meet up with each other! I'm all by my lonesome out here!! :pout:
Maranda

HamaLee
02-26-2007, 01:44 PM
I think I accidentally turned off notifications for this thread and missed a bunch of pages :pout: . But I'm back! I'm so excited to be a part of this and that it's already started, hooray.

Love the idea of the blog and I can't wait to see what the afghan looks like by the time it gets to me. :cheering:

Jan in CA
02-26-2007, 02:10 PM
[quote=Jan in CA]

I will send you some now, though. Just be sure to use it for charity, since that's the reason she gave it to me.

Thanks, Sandy! I will definitely use it for charity. :hug:

Shandeh
02-26-2007, 05:55 PM
I'm sure you will, Jan!! :muah: :heart: :muah:

Maranda, I'm sorry you can't get together with any KH knitters. :pout: Maybe you can find someone in your area by doing a search in the forum. (That's how I found most of the North Carolina knitters.)

Welcome back, HamaLee! :hug:

Well, I dropped the ball today. The package is still sitting in the back of my car. I went to teach two piano lessons, and had to cancel the rest of them. I'm SOOOO tired today. :verysad:

I think my doctor may be right. I must have fibromyalgia. I feel achy and sore all over, and I can't hold my eyes open.

Marvin is off work tomorrow, so I'll send him to the post office with my packages if he has time. I'm sorry I didn't get it out today!
:waah:

HamaLee
02-26-2007, 05:59 PM
Aw, feel better Shandeh :hug: :muah:

jhelanee
02-26-2007, 05:59 PM
Please don't feel bad, Sandy. Taking care of yourself definately takes priority over everything else! I'm sure that everyone will understand. Go home, relax, nap and do whatever you need to to feel better.
:hug: :heart: :hug: :heart: :hug:

lissalue
02-26-2007, 08:25 PM
:grrr: I for one do not understand!!!! I want my package!!! :grrr:

:teehee: Just a little angry humor to make you feel better. :muah: Your health is the most important! I hope you feel better. I can wait, you need to get to the doctor young lady! :tap: Please take care of yourself! I am so glad to have you for a friend, you have to be well enough that we can get together soon! :muah: :hug: :heart: :heart: :heart:

GennyLynn1962
02-26-2007, 09:12 PM
No worries Sandy.

Just feel better!!!

:hug: :hug:

Shandeh
02-26-2007, 10:25 PM
Thank you all so much for the LOVE!!! :muah: :heart: :heart: :heart:

I'm feeling a little better now. I slept for over two hours, then made myself get up to do a few things in the kitchen. (You can read about it in my KH blog if you want.)

I'm going to take it easy for the rest of the night, and knit on a prayer shawl for a lady at my church. I've been putting that project off long enough. I also started a spring shell for myself with some bright blue ladder yarn. :)

Cristy
02-27-2007, 12:24 PM
Glad you're feeling a little better Shandeh! I like the blog you started for the blanket--I just checked it out--you're going to be a busy lady keeping up w/ all of this blogging! LOL!

letah75
02-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Hi,
I have two ideas for charities.

1) A Rape Crisis type orginization. Often times when they go to the hospital with women who have been raped in the last 72 hours they like to bring something to cuddle with as hospitals can be cold (literally and figuratively). Also their clothing is often taken by the police for evidence and until they can have someone bring them clothing they are sitting there shivering.

2) An orginization like CPS (their drug division). I work in law enforcement, and when raids are done on drug houses, there are usually kids there. Often times officers/CPS workers will keep a knitted or crocheted blanket in the car so when the child is taken from the home, they have something cuddley.

I know this blanket will be too big for a child, but if you get some more going at a later date maybe we could get two children's blankets going at a time as they would be faster to knit up.

newamy
02-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Speaking of yarn designated for charity I recently found this organization http://www.warmwoolies.org/index.html
called Warm Woolies. Like a lot organizations they want items knitted in wool, what I like about them though is that not only do they donate to China and Russian orphanages but also to Indian Reservations here in the states.

I haven't knitted anything for them yet, as I only discovered them recently, but if you read through the site and click on "thin your stash" they take yarn donations so that people who want o knit for them in the Denver area can get some yarn. They want wool and it also says they take novelty yarn. But it also says no acrylic- isn't novelty yarn usually acrylic??

Anyway Shandeh, this might be a good rout for you to thin out some of this charity yarn. You could e-mail them about acrylic novelty yarn as well.

Shandeh
02-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Great ideas, letah75!!! :muah:

I'm liking the "rape crisis" blanket idea. That's perfect!
A battered women's shelter would be good too.

I think it's also a good idea to make some children's blankets. I have a feeling we'll be making LOTS of Oddball Blankets. :)

NewAmy, I'll look through my stash and send some photos to them. Maybe they can use some. We'll see. I've known about "warm woolies" for a long time, and have planned on making some things for their charity. Maybe I can just ask them for some ideas on how I can use the novelty yarn.

lissalue
02-27-2007, 05:44 PM
if we go with the battered women's shelter idea, maybe you could check with them about using some of that novelty yarn for something for the kids. a lot of times women have kids who would probably get a big kick out of a cute fuzzy hat or toy or something. just a thought.

Shandeh
02-27-2007, 09:32 PM
Good plan. :hug: Let me see what I can find out about some shelters.

Shandeh
02-27-2007, 09:34 PM
I just received an email from lucky_alf2, who has agreed to be one of our "pinch knitters", in case someone has to back out of their commitment to knit on the blanket. Thanks lucky! :hug:

Tammy6071
02-27-2007, 10:56 PM
These all sound like great ideas! Another idea for the next blanket might be to finish it off in a different part of the country, and have the last person send it off to a charity in their area. That way we'd be spreading the wealth!!

Shandeh
02-28-2007, 12:56 AM
Good plan, Tammy! :cheering:

Lieke
02-28-2007, 03:41 AM
I was to late to join this blanket, but if you're going to knit another blanket, can I join?

Jan in CA
02-28-2007, 01:04 PM
I was to late to join this blanket, but if you're going to knit another blanket, can I join?

It might be cost prohibitive to ship it back and forth such a distance. :thinking: I wonder if we couldn't have two blankets going..one on your side of the Atlantic and one here? There are plenty of UK and European members that might be interested in doing this, too. :thinking:

lissalue
02-28-2007, 02:57 PM
I got the blanket!! I am going to start knitting on it right now!!! :cheering:

letah75
02-28-2007, 03:41 PM
I got the blanket!! I am going to start knitting on it right now!!! ohh, I soooo can't wait to get the blanket. I am sooo excited about this project!

Shandeh
02-28-2007, 03:48 PM

It might be cost prohibitive to ship it back and forth such a distance. :thinking: I wonder if we couldn't have two blankets going..one on your side of the Atlantic and one here? There are plenty of UK and European members that might be interested in doing this, too. :thinking:

I agree with Jan. Let's start one over there, Lieke! Do you want to check with other European members? Maybe we should start a new thread for an Oddball International Blanket. :)

lissalue
02-28-2007, 04:52 PM
So, i have knit one row on the blanket, and i had to come post a pic of Laura aka "YarnBaby" helping me :teehee:

HamaLee
02-28-2007, 04:56 PM
Oh goodness, I think I want a YarnBaby :teehee: .

I'm so excited this has gotten off the ground!

Cristy
02-28-2007, 05:04 PM
Be careful what you wish for HamaLee--they aren't always that darn cute and poop and cry and don't always sleep.... can anyone tell I have a newborn???

Lisa--she's cute as can be--what a good picture!

lissalue
02-28-2007, 05:08 PM
well cristy, i don't know what you are talking about, my baby never cries or poops, and unless she is playing with yarn she is always asleep!!

i am such a bad liar :teehee:

KathyinCali
02-28-2007, 05:45 PM
Is there a list that shows the order of people it is going to?

lestrella
02-28-2007, 06:05 PM
lissalue, God bless your yarn baby. She is just too cute!!!

HamaLee
02-28-2007, 06:07 PM
Be careful what you wish for HamaLee--they aren't always that darn cute and poop and cry and don't always sleep.... can anyone tell I have a newborn???

:rofl:
This is why I love working with kids or visiting related babies--cuz when they start the pooping and crying I get to say "Here you go!" and hand them back. :eyebrow: :lol:

jamadian75
02-28-2007, 07:03 PM
It has been said that a thing worth doing is worth doing right, and you guys are doing charity right...Imagine all the love in the stitches of a gift so well-traveled and with the heart of such great people put in it.

Knitters are amazing givers!! Great idea Shandeh :hug: and I commend all of you for getting in on this :heart: :heart:

jeanius80
02-28-2007, 07:36 PM
lissalue...cute yarnbaby!... see my little avatar? thats my yarnbaby... verrrrrrrrry helpful :chair:

Jillle
02-28-2007, 07:39 PM

Kathy-The list is on Page 5. Looks like you are #12. (I'm #14.) We're in the California section. Represent! :cheering:

:teehee:

lissalue
02-28-2007, 09:29 PM
lissalue...cute yarnbaby!... see my little avatar? thats my yarnbaby... verrrrrrrrry helpful :chair:

a friend of mine untangled some of the other yarn she "helped" with. :roflhard: she usually doesn't make a mess of it though. she just likes to hold it and cuddle with it. there are lots of pics of her with yarn in my blog, and my avatar is her hand in some yarn.

my goal on the blanket is to finish 5 rows tonight, and i am done with about 3 1/2. :cheering:

itsjustmeghan
02-28-2007, 09:35 PM
i know i'm too late, but maybe i can join for the next blanket you start? i'd love to clear out some of my stash to help out with a good cause! i've got tons of extra yarn from various projects, and what a wonderful way to use it up. i saw this when the thread first started and completely forgot about it until it was too late! :pout:

please keep me in mind for the next one!
either knitting or crochet. i'm good with both!

i hope you find one of the rape crisis centers to give it to. thinking about going through something like that, you'd definately need a snuggly thoughtful blanket to keep you warm. you are all wonderful for doing this! :muah:

zip
02-28-2007, 11:33 PM

Kathy-The list is on Page 5. Looks like you are #12. (I'm #14.) We're in the California section. Represent! :cheering:

oh cool. I didn't realize that I was number 13. 8)

Shandeh
03-01-2007, 01:24 AM

Here's the latest list, which was on page 7 of this thread:

Shandeh (NC)
lissalue (NC)
lestrella (NC)
GennyLynn1962 (KY)
feminine_earth (FL)
Lucy Fan (MI)
jhelanee (WA)
jeanius80 (WA)
SabrinaJL (NM)
Jan in CA (CA)
KathyinCali (CA)
zip (CA)
Jillie (CA)
letah75 (CA)
newamy (OR)
mjscott (MT)
HamaLee (MA)
Tammy6071 (CT)
carmabelle1191 (NJ)
HollyP (VA)
Cristy (GA)
projectgal (GA)
misha rf (NC)
Brrlracinbt (NC)
knitting4babybear (NC)

And here is the map that shows how the blanket will travel through the nation. It will begin and end at the blue square in North Carolina.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/150/402710605_3c5bedc666_o.jpg

Sorry Zip! You're not #13 anymore, because knitting4babybear had to move to the end.

Love the photo, Melissa! I can see the yellow note I included, and my knitting! Great job on getting started on your rows right away! :hug:

Marce, thanks for the encouragement! :heart: Maybe you can join us for the next blanket!

itsjustmeghan, I'm sorry you missed this one! If I get enough people on the "pinch knitters" list, I'll start another blanket and get it going!

:muah: :heart: :muah: Love you all! :muah: :heart: :muah:

Lieke
03-01-2007, 03:50 AM

I agree with Jan. Let's start one over there, Lieke! Do you want to check with other European members? Maybe we should start a new thread for an Oddball International Blanket. :)

Although I love this idea, I suck at organizing things. maybe some other european knitters

Jillle
03-01-2007, 10:32 AM

Zip-Sorry, I guess I'm number 13 now. Coolness. 8)

Shandeh
03-01-2007, 01:09 PM

Although I love this idea, I suck at organizing things. maybe some other european knitters

Lieke, I'll be happy to do all the organizing for you. If you want, I can go ahead and start another blanket just for you guys. I'll make it a baby blanket, so it won't take as long, and you won't need as many knitters. It can come back to you to give to charity, or you can have it sent to me at the end for charity. Just say the word! :hug:

suzidoe
03-02-2007, 01:24 AM
I think this sounds like a lot of fun. Please keep me posted of details.

Thanks
Suzi

Shandeh
03-02-2007, 01:37 AM
Thanks Suzi! :muah:

HollyP
03-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Oh man my notifications got turned off somehow. Wow this thread has grown a lot in just a few days. I am so excited to be a part of this!

What yarn is everyone using?

I want a yarn baby too!! ( my db&dsil are ttc, so fingers crossed I'll get a yarnbaby I can give back! :teehee: )Those pictures are just too cute!!!

feminine_earth
03-02-2007, 11:53 AM
I've got some lemon yellow acrylic that I could use...but it's not very soft. I might go get some Wool Ease and use that instead. :)

lissalue
03-02-2007, 11:11 PM
i am using Caron Simply Soft that i had on hand.

Holly P, thanks, yarn babies are fun! :teehee:

i am over halfway done with my potion. i took it with me while i visited my best friend in the hospital in preterm labor with twin girls and to visit my neice who just had a baby last friday. the blanket has had a lot of "baby time" while it has been with me :teehee:

zip
03-02-2007, 11:16 PM

Zip-Sorry, I guess I'm number 13 now. Coolness. 8)

Not fair! I'll have to move to La Jolla so I can shift back to 13. :teehee:

Shandeh
03-03-2007, 03:12 AM
You guys are so funny. :teehee: Zip, y'all can fight over position 13 when the blanket gets to California. :wink:

HollyP, you can use any washable worsted weight yarn.

Dangles
03-03-2007, 03:28 AM
^^ :teehee:

Shandeh
03-03-2007, 03:36 AM
We now have 4 "pinch knitters", ready to help out with the blanket if anyone has to back out of their commitment, or if they cannot knit for 3 inches.

lucky_alf2 (AZ)
jamadian75 (FL)
itsjustmeghan (IL)
Dangles (Canada)

Also, I've added a "second in command" person, who will help you if something happens to me (God forbid!).

Jan in CA has kindly agreed to help, if needed. Thanks, Jan! :muah:

I'm glad to hear that the blanket is doing well in the sweet hands of lissalue. :hug: It is getting lots of "good vibes" from happy babies! :heart:

GennyLynn1962
03-03-2007, 10:23 AM
I will wait until the blanket gets to me to decide on a color, but I will probably use Simply Soft also.

stacy.duval
03-03-2007, 11:17 AM
Are y'all still taking any knitters for this? I want in! I have some Caron SS in 3 diff colors, just sitting around, and would love to use it on something like this. Let me know, and I will PM my addy to get on the list.

Shandeh
03-03-2007, 03:18 PM
We're still taking "pinch knitters", who will cover for knitters that cannot do their portion. Also, I'm keeping the extra knitters on file for our next blanket.

So, go ahead and PM your mailing address to me if you want to be part of the project. :hug:

lissalue
03-03-2007, 11:48 PM
i just finished my part of the blanket! :cheering: i will take a picture tomorrow. lestrella, pm me with a good time to meet up, or if you just want me to mail it, then we will check and see if we can meet up with sandy too!

Shandeh
03-04-2007, 01:44 AM
Yay! Good work, Melissa! :muah:

Lestrella and I are planning on meeting at Starbucks in Matthews on Tuesday.

lissalue
03-04-2007, 09:42 AM
let me know times and the address of the starbuck's. i think i can make it if nothing happens around here. i might have to bring david and i know i will bring the baby. i will take the picture after church.

zip
03-04-2007, 02:16 PM

Also, I've added a "second in command" person, who will help you if something happens to me (God forbid!).

Jan in CA has kindly agreed to help, if needed. Thanks, Jan! :muah:

Good idea, Sis!

Here's hoping the blanket doesn't reach me before April 15th. :little prayer:

HamaLee
03-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Wow, it's coming along...hooray!

misha rf
03-04-2007, 09:01 PM
I can't wait to see how it's coming along!! :happydance:

lissalue
03-04-2007, 10:18 PM
so here are the promised pics of the blanket!

jeanius80
03-04-2007, 10:29 PM
great job! love the yarnbaby pic :heart: the red is pretty...for some reason it reminds me of the folklorico(sp??) dancer skirts...

HamaLee
03-04-2007, 10:30 PM
It's looking GREAT so far!

Cristy
03-04-2007, 10:54 PM
I think it looks great too--I can't wait to see all of the great colors that everyone picks!! I have no idea what I'll use--probably some left over wool-ease that I have laying around or either some Caron SS. Most of my acrylic is baby colors and I'd like to stay away from baby colors if I can...oh heck...I guess it'll just depend on what "feels right" when the blanket gets down here to me!

Shandeh
03-04-2007, 11:06 PM
let me know times and the address of the starbuck's. i think i can make it if nothing happens around here. i might have to bring david and i know i will bring the baby. i will take the picture after church.
I'm checking with lestrella now to see if she is open to making our get-together a fivesome instead of a twosome. :teehee:

By the way, the blanket looks AMAZING!!! It's funny....When I was working on the blanket, I was imagining that red or burgundy would look really nice beside that gray. You must have read my mind!

lissalue
03-04-2007, 11:10 PM
By the way, the blanket looks AMAZING!!! It's funny....When I was working on the blanket, I was imagining that red or burgundy would look really nice beside that gray. You must have read my mind!

well, we are twins! :teehee:

i hope she wants me and mine to come along, but if not, i understand.

lestrella
03-05-2007, 12:11 AM
Of course I want you to come along lissalue!! Who wouldn't? I didn't extent the invitation to you because I didn't think you wanted to come so far. :woohoo: I'll get to meet your yarn baby and your dh.

The blanket looks gorgeous!! I love the color. That's what I had in mine too. :?? What color should I use now? How many skeins of yarn did you use?

:hug: :hug:

lissalue
03-05-2007, 12:19 AM
it was less than half a skein of caron simply soft. let me know if you need some yarn, i have css if quite a few colors. see you tuesday if nothing changes!

Shandeh
03-05-2007, 01:29 AM
I just updated our blanket blog with lissalue's portion!
http://oddball-blanket.blogspot.com/

feminine_earth
03-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Very nice, lissalue!! :cheering:

letah75
03-05-2007, 08:42 PM
It looks very good!!! While I don't have a yarnbaby of my own, I have a nextdoor yarn baby. He had to be given his own skein so he wouldn't try to eat mine when I am visiting.

Jillle
03-05-2007, 09:16 PM
I only have yarn teenagers (not quite the same as a yarn baby) and yarn puppies (which can be a pretty good substitute!). :teehee:

Shandeh
03-05-2007, 09:30 PM
I'm excited about seeing Lissalue and Lestrella tomorrow morning!
:cheering: :woohoo: :yay:

I'll actually be able to use my Starbucks giftcard! :happydance:
(They don't take it at Barnes and Noble) :pout:

I also have two "replacement drink" coupons that you two can use for your drinks. You can each get WHATEVER drink you want with those!
:)

I'll bring a knitting project to work on, and be ready to hang out with you until I have to leave to teach piano lessons. I can't wait! :hug:

lestrella
03-06-2007, 12:22 AM
I hope you are already in bed by now and that you had set up your alarm.

If for whatever reason you are going to be late, please give me a call and let me know.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

HollyP
03-06-2007, 12:37 AM
Wow the blanket looks great so far! I am with you Cristy I had a color in mind but now I think I will see once the blanket gets here to see what feels and looks right.
OK enough procrastinating for me I have a paper due in 24 minutes that I really need to finish up.
:muah: Keep up the great work everyone! This blanket is going to be a masterpiece!!

Shandeh
03-06-2007, 02:33 AM
Aw...come on, Lestrella. You don't expect me to be ASLEEP tonight, do you? :teehee:

Jan in CA
03-06-2007, 03:12 AM
Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:22 pm

In bed at 8:22? :thud: I usually stay up reading till 1am myself. :teehee:

SabrinaJL
03-06-2007, 03:06 PM
Me too, Jan. Almost every night I end up staying up until 1 or 2 with a book. Right now it's Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult.

Cristy
03-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Oh how I wish I could stay up and read....now with a newborn around again I just stay up! LOL!

Jan in CA
03-06-2007, 04:48 PM
Oh how I wish I could stay up and read....now with a newborn around again I just stay up! LOL!

Been there, done that! :teehee: My "babies" are now 27.5 and 30. :passedout:

lestrella
03-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:22 pm

In bed at 8:22? :thud: I usually stay up reading till 1am myself. :teehee:

I know. I do the same thing. Shandeh knows why I mentioned it. Last time we were supposed to meet, she overslept and didn't hear her alarm.

Anyway, we met today and we had a great time, as usual. I got the oddball blanket from lissalue. I can't wait to start working on it. I want to finish my entrelac hat tonight so I can start working on the blanket tomorrow. I'm still trying to decide on which color to use.

Cristy
03-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Good luck w/ it--I can't wait to see what you do! :)

GennyLynn1962
03-07-2007, 09:36 AM
You guys are moving right along with the blanket. :cheering:

It looks GREAT!!

I was out last night looking at possible colors to use for the blanket, I was surprised to see that WalMart had a good selection of Simply Soft. I couldn't make up my mind, so I will wait until the blanket gets to me and pick a color then.

Shandeh
03-09-2007, 09:52 AM
I was very pleased with the way the blanket looks with Lissalue's portion added on. She did a great job! :muah:

Now, the blanket is in the hands of our lovely lestrella. Good luck with your three inches, my friend! :hug:

lestrella
03-10-2007, 06:19 PM
Hi,

I'm sorry I haven't given you an update since I got the blanket but my ds was sick and I didn't have that much time to spend in the forum. Anyway, I wanted to post a picture of the goodies I got from lissalue along with the blanket. How sweet is that!!! I love it!!! lissalue, thank you soooooooooooooo much!!

I'm basically done with the blanket. I didn't like any of the colors in my stash so I asked my ds for suggestions. He's usually pretty good at coordinating colors (he's my little picasso). He chose a sage green. I think is Simply soft. It didn't have a label.

I had to frog a few times just because I'm stubbon. I could've continue with the garter stitch, but I just like complicating my life and decided to do cables instead. My first cables. First, I wasn't doing the math correctly :doh: . Then, I was getting a gap when crossing the cables :wall: :wall: . It was frustrating so I decided to go with stockinette and garter stitch. As I was knitting, a little voice kept telling me to keep trying the cables and that's exacly what I did. :cheering: :cheering: I did it!!! Hooray!!! :happydance: They don't look bad at all...for real. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Shandeh, I'm ready to mail it on Monday. I just need the address and the name of the next person to send it to.

By the way, and if it's ok with everyone, I was wondering if we could have access to the master list with everyone addresses? You never know when someone wants to surprise you with a little care package. And NO, I'M NOT A PSYCO KILLER. In fact, I'm a very sweet young lady :teehee:

:woohoo: My dh is back. He was out of town for 10 days and I missed him soooo much. I'll be able to have some time for myself now.

Gotta go now. I have to catch up with the rest of the blogs.

:hug: :muah: :hug:

Jillle
03-10-2007, 06:29 PM
Lestrella, Can't wait to see the pictures!!! Our blanket has cables! :cheering:

Jan in CA
03-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Those are beautiful gifts! Can't wait to see your addition!

BTW..the master list is going to remain private. Not everyone wants there address made public. :heart:

HamaLee
03-10-2007, 09:13 PM
:cheering:
I can't wait to see pics and I can't wait til it's my turn! Yayyy!!

By the way, this is the first time I've ever knit for charity. I do a lot of various volunteer work and have wanted to knit for charity for some time. For lots of reasons--namely more knitting! I can make different things and know they'll be appreciated. (My fam and friends don't really care for knitted gifts and I'm too hot-blooded to wear most of my own).

Anyhoo, for some reason I just haven't been able to strike out on my own as a charity knitter. It's felt too daunting, too many options, etc etc etc. So this is just a fabulous introduction to charity knitting for me. Thank you!!!!! Plus--I get to do a project with a bunch of other KH'ers. Wooo!! :hug:

Shandeh
03-10-2007, 10:34 PM
HamaLee, thank you SO much for your sweet message! :muah:
It warms my heart to hear your thoughts about charity knitting.

For me, it is so satisfying to knit for those that REALLY appreciate the effort. :heart: :heart: :heart:

And I agree with Jan. The master list will have to stay under wraps.
(If any of you would like to receive mail from Lestrella, just PM your mailing address to her.)

Lestrella, I will contact the next person in the list and let you know for sure if they are ready for the blanket. You sure did your rows quickly!!
:thud:

lestrella
03-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Ok, here are the photos....I'm not the best photographer though. Remember that I'm still a newbie...I did try my best! I hope you guys like it.

Jan and Shandeh, in terms of the master list, I totally understand. I still love you :heart: :muah:

Jan in CA
03-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Lestrella, that is gorgeous!! :passedout: I'm going to have a lot to live up to! :teehee:

zip
03-11-2007, 04:42 PM
lestrella... grrrl. :teehee: beautiful work! Carolina girls, best in the world. I have a cap with that stitched upon it.

Looking forward to having the blanket in my house. And wondering if the SoCal contingent could possibly schedule a meetup when we're finished and are about to ship it elsewhere.

Jan in CA
03-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Sure, works for me!

Shandeh
03-11-2007, 07:05 PM
:notworthy: GORGEOUS! :notworthy:
Lestrella, you are putting us all to shame. Doing cables for the first time on a 300 stitch blanket! WOW!
:passedout:

HamaLee
03-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Gorgeous!!!!

letah75
03-11-2007, 08:41 PM
That is very pretty!!! You did a wonderful job. This blanket is going to be a treasure to whoever gets it.

Absolutely beautiful!!![/u]

feminine_earth
03-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Lestrella, that is simply beautiful! :inlove:

lissalue
03-11-2007, 08:52 PM
great job lestrella! my garter stitch feels honored to be placed next to your cables! :teehee:

Jillle
03-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Looking forward to having the blanket in my house. And wondering if the SoCal contingent could possibly schedule a meetup when we're finished and are about to ship it elsewhere.

This member of the SoCal contingent says "Yes"! :happydance:

newamy
03-12-2007, 02:30 AM
The cables look great!
I'm sure that by the time the blanket reaches me I'm going to have think of something really nifty to do.

I think I'm the only Oregon "blanketeer" No meet up for me. :pout:

Shandeh, I know you have the master list of knitters somewhere on this forum, but could you maybe add it to the top or a side bar of the blog you started with check offs or something so one can quickly see where it's at in relation to where we are at?? I hope that wouldn't be too difficult to do.

Amy

Shandeh
03-12-2007, 05:41 AM
I'll see what I can do, Amy. :thumbsup:

Shandeh
03-12-2007, 06:33 AM
I just spent about an hour updating our blog. Let me know how you like it! http://oddball-blanket.blogspot.com/

feminine_earth
03-12-2007, 07:52 AM
Hey Shandeh, the blog looks great! :cheering:

Quick question, how do I subscribe to it? I have a blogspot blog, too, and I've seen people's profiles where they've subscribed to other KAL blogs, but I can't figure out how to do it. :oops:

GennyLynn1962
03-12-2007, 08:40 AM
You guys are so fast!!!!

The blanket looks GREAT!!

I'm next on the list and I am getting nervous, and excited. I am so glad to be part of this and I hope I can live up to what you all have accomplished. As soon as I get the blanket I will choose a color and get working on it.

The cables look great, wonderful job Lestrella :notworthy:

Shandeh
03-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Hey Shandeh, the blog looks great! :cheering:

Quick question, how do I subscribe to it? I have a blogspot blog, too, and I've seen people's profiles where they've subscribed to other KAL blogs, but I can't figure out how to do it. :oops:
I think I would have to set up the blog to receive subscribers, and I don't know how to do that. I'll see if I can figure it out and let you know.

Shandeh
03-12-2007, 10:10 AM
The blog is already set up for subscribers. You just scroll down to the very bottom of the blog, and click where it says, "Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)" Then, it will open another window, where you will click "Subscribe to this feed"

newamy
03-12-2007, 10:18 AM
Fabulous update on the blog!
Now if I miss a few days of forum posting it will be easy to check on.

lissalue
03-12-2007, 10:29 AM
great job sandy!!!

KathyinCali
03-12-2007, 11:11 AM

This member of the SoCal contingent says "Yes"! :happydance:

I'm also in the SoCal contingent and would love to meet up to either pass the blanket along, or pick it up :)

lestrella
03-12-2007, 12:03 PM
Thank you so much guys!!! I was a little nervous as I wasn't sure you were going to like it. I'm glad you did!!!!! :cheering:

newamy, I lived in Hood River, Oregon for 5 months. I loved it. It was beautiful. That was in 1991. I'm sure things has changed a lot since then but I'm sure it's still beautiful!!!!

Shandeh, the blog looks great!!! BTW, I just pm you.

GennyLynn, thanks for the PM. I will be mailing the blanket tomorrow, or this afternoon, if I get the chance.

lissalue, I just PM you back.

You all have a great day!!!! :hug:

GennyLynn1962
03-12-2007, 12:20 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

misha rf
03-12-2007, 12:41 PM
It's so pretty!! Love the cables!! :notworthy:

A question about subscribing to the feed....

I've not done this before. When I click on the subscribe link, it asks me to download a file. Is this normal?? I'd like to find out before I download something. Thanks!

Jan in CA
03-12-2007, 12:42 PM
Why would one need to subscribe? I just have a link on my hotlink bar.

feminine_earth
03-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Why would one need to subscribe? I just have a link on my hotlink bar.
It's kind of a just for fun thing. If you subscribe to the blog, and someone clicks your blogspot profile, they can see what blogs you're subscribed to. :)

newamy
03-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Lestrella wrote :newamy, I lived in Hood River, Oregon for 5 months. I loved it. It was beautiful. That was in 1991. I'm sure things has changed a lot since then but I'm sure it's still beautiful!!!!

Lestrella, I grew up 20 minutes east of Hood River in The Dalles. It hasn't changed that much since 1991...though I understand on the week ends Hood River is the place to be. I think they have an antique thing where various dealers all congregate in one place and I know they have two yarn shops- one more standard and one that seem to sell only locally spun yarn and fiber, I think. I've just looked at the web sites, never visited. I still go to The Dalles to visit but never really stop in Hood River; but I have been meaning to pay a visit to the yarn store. The river and view are still very lovely- however having grown up with it it is rather wasted on me, I think. People that have never seen it are usually very impressed. Many places in Oregon are beautiful.

HollyP
03-13-2007, 11:16 AM
I love love love the cables! :cheering: Awesome job Lestrella!
This blanket really is going to be a masterpiece when we are all done!

Great job on the blog Shandeh!

All of this talk of Oregon is making me reminisce. I was on a traveling retreat team about eight years ago and we spent a lot of time in The Dalles, Hood River actually all over Oregon. Of all the states we vistited (we vistited about 10 and parts of Canada) Oregon would have to be my favorite. Everyone I met was so nice, the whole state is just beautiful and because of the weather I had great hair :teehee: My curls really liked it there!

Cristy
03-13-2007, 01:54 PM
Absolutely beautiful ladies!!

Shandeh
03-13-2007, 01:59 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/dancing/13.gif :note: I got to see the blanket today. :note: Nya Nya!!http://bestsmileys.com/dancing/13.gif

The blanket looks wonderful! :hug:

lissalue
03-13-2007, 03:30 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/dancing/13.gif :note: I got to see the blanket today. :note: Nya Nya!!http://bestsmileys.com/dancing/13.gif

The blanket looks wonderful! :hug:

Well, i would have come to see it, but no one invited me! :P :P :P

:teehee: Just kidding, i couldn't have come, dh had his echcardiogram. i am glad to see ya'll had fun though! :hug:

Shandeh
03-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Yeah, we DON'T LIKE YOU ANYMORE, MELISSA!!! :teehee:
(Just kidding....OF COURSE!)

No...really....I was going by your last message to me that said for us to go on without you. I guess I should have checked with you again.

I'm sorry! :pout: :verysad: :waah:

lestrella
03-13-2007, 06:10 PM
GennyLynn, the blanket it's on its way. You should be getting it by the end of this week.

lissalue, we missed you :hug: . How did the ecocardiogram with dh go?

Thanks ladies for all the compliments!!! :woohoo:

Oregon is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

lissalue
03-13-2007, 06:35 PM

No...really....I was going by your last message to me that said for us to go on without you. I guess I should have checked with you again.

:waah: i was just kidding too. don't cry cause it makes me cry. it is okay really, i told you to go ahead, and i meant it. :verysad:

Shandeh
03-13-2007, 08:16 PM
Well, I guess that means you'll just have to come and visit ALL BY YOURSELF one day soon. :hug:

lissalue
03-13-2007, 08:25 PM
Well, I guess that means you'll just have to come and visit ALL BY YOURSELF one day soon. :hug:

:cheering: :cheering: :happydance: :happydance: yay!!!!

you just made my day!! :teehee:

GennyLynn1962
03-13-2007, 10:15 PM
GennyLynn, the blanket it's on its way. You should be getting it by the end of this week.

Alrighty then, I'll be watching for it. :cheering:

:hug: :heart: :hug:

zip
03-13-2007, 11:39 PM
The blog looks really good, Sandy. Well organized, concise and fun! Nice work, Sis. :cheering:

Cristy
03-13-2007, 11:57 PM
This blanket is moving quicker than I expected!!!

lestrella
03-14-2007, 01:23 PM

FINE.... :waah: I guess you need some quality time together. It's ok. I totally understand :verysad:

Shandeh
03-14-2007, 01:50 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :happydance: :happydance: yay!!!!
you just made my day!! :teehee:
:muah: :heart: :muah:

The blog looks really good, Sandy. Well organized, concise and fun! Nice work, Sis. :cheering:
Wow! A COMPLIMENT from GINGER! ALERT THE MEDIA!!!!

Now there is only one thing left on my list of impossible acquisitions:
A compliment from our Mom! :rofl:

This blanket is moving quicker than I expected!!!
Yeah, we're gonna have to give the Oddball Blanket a new name.
The "INCREDIBLE FLYING BLANKET".

FINE.... :waah: I guess you need some quality time together. It's ok. I totally understand :verysad:
Don't cry, Lestrella!! :pout: Think of happy things! I know...you should turn on that music again, so you can dance some more! You dance very well! :hug:

KathyinCali
03-14-2007, 02:14 PM

:waah: i was just kidding too. don't cry cause it makes me cry. it is okay really, i told you to go ahead, and i meant it. :verysad:

Stop crying cause now y'all are making me cry :waah:
Wait - What is is we're crying about? :??

zip
03-14-2007, 04:29 PM
Wow! A COMPLIMENT from GINGER! ALERT THE MEDIA!!!!

Now there is only one thing left on my list of impossible acquisitions:
A compliment from our Mom! :rofl:

http://piercn-amethyst.com/emot/tease.gif

I don't give false praise.

lissalue
03-14-2007, 04:41 PM

You got her all to yourself yesterday, now it is my turn!! Don't be a Sandy hog. We all know how great she is, but we must share! :teehee:

lestrella
03-14-2007, 06:07 PM

You got her all to yourself yesterday, now it is my turn!! Don't be a Sandy hog. We all know how great she is, but we must share! :teehee:

I know. I was just kidding... :hug:

losnana
03-14-2007, 06:13 PM
Count me in!!!

lissalue
03-14-2007, 08:18 PM

I know, me too! :teehee: :hug:

Shandeh
03-14-2007, 09:00 PM

I know, me too! :teehee: :hug:
Another "Tunnel O' Quotes"!! I love these things! :heart: :heart:

Shandeh
03-14-2007, 09:03 PM
Count me in!!!
Thanks for joining the "oddball knitters", Julie! :muah:

Each blanket only needs 25 knitters, and we met that quota some time ago. I have added you to the list of "pinch knitters" who will cover in case someone needs to back out of their commitment. We will also be making another oddball blanket when we get a total of 25 extra knitters. (right now we have 6)

Cristy
03-14-2007, 09:43 PM
Shandeh--you can go ahead and put me on the pinch hitters/next blanket list. I'll be happy to do two sittings w/ the blanket if someone has to drop out or I'd be happy to go ahead and commit myself to the next go 'round too!

Shandeh
03-14-2007, 09:44 PM
Thanks Cristy! :muah:

letah75
03-14-2007, 09:59 PM
I would like to commit to the next go-round too.

I like the blog too. Very nicely done.

Shandeh - I was thinking, maybe you could connect the blog to the KH blogring? Don't know if you want to, but just a thought.