PDA

View Full Version : uncommon abbreviations?

humblestumble
02-28-2007, 07:28 PM
I have some patterns here and am having a lot of difficulty finding the abbreviations meanings.

yns

This is the main one I am having trouble with. It says the pattern is very simple, and the stitch pattern is only from 1988 (so far as I know), and it just may be VERY simple, but I can't figure it out.

ETA:

This is from a Waffle brioche stitch pattern. I've also found the pattern (in images) to resemble (in my eyes, EXACTLY) the Double Brioche Stitch, The 3 Dimensional Honeycomb stitch, The English Brioche Stitch, and the Brioche stitch from my old pattern (which is probably the english one).

Ingrid
02-28-2007, 07:35 PM
:?? How is it used? Could it just be 'yarns?'

humblestumble
02-28-2007, 07:38 PM
It's from a waffle brioche stitch. It says

Prep: K2 *yns, sl1, yon, k1*
Row1: *K2, slyo* k2
Row2: K1 *yns sl1 yon, k2tog* k1
Row3: K1 *k2, slyo* k1
Row 4: K1 *k2tog, yns sl1 yon* k1
Tow final rows:
Row 1: Repeat row 1
Row 2: K1 *k1, k2tog* k1

I was having trouble with "yon" but I found that that means "yarn over needle"

There's also a chart with the pattern, but I've never read charts so I don't know how to read it.

Ingrid
02-28-2007, 07:44 PM
I found this (http://www.knittingfool.com/pages/stCatalog2.cfm?StitchID=705&name=Waffle%20Brioche&numofst=3&stplus=2&rows=4&rplus=0&sym=0). Maybe it will help?

I'm surprised the pattern doesn't explain the abbreviations.

humblestumble
02-28-2007, 07:48 PM
The book explains the abbreviations the author likes to use, but this particular one is not included. She also explains instances a simple abbreviation is provided and gives a few examples, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what it means. :?? There's even chart explanations, but I still don't know what it means :wall:

This is also because I wanted a modern adaptation of a brioche stitch from an 1800s pattern I am planning on using for something. The pattern from that one is very thorough, but it didn't say "waffle brioche". However, when trying to find modern stitch patterns for it, I found that the picture provided in the pattern I am using looks just like the waffle brioche stitch in this book.

This pattern also explains the abbreviation "slyo" before the pattern...I'll be darned. It's probably right under my nose.

ETA"
I wonder if it means yarn over next stitch. but why wouldnt there be an 'o'?

I just found another stitch pattern which uses it also. It's the first I've found in the book. it's called the three and one stitch

Prep: Knit
Row1: *K3, sl1yfs*, k1
Row2: K1 *sl1yns, k3*
Row3: *K1, sl1yfs, k2*, k1
Row4: K1, *k2, sl1yns, k1*
Final Row: Knit

Here's a webpage I found showing how to do the Double Brioche which looks exactly like the one I am looking for. I am still curious as to what "yns" means though. http://www.thedietdiary.com/blog/index.php?p=243