PDA

View Full Version : FO: Hat with backstory

mornnen
03-04-2007, 08:39 PM
The hat featured here -- made for my mom, the person modeling it, has a story behind it. She lives in SE Minnesota and tries to walk a mile every day, and during the winter months, esp. during hunting season, she worries about being mistaken for a deer-- as well as keeping her head and ears warm. So I add to my Joanns order what looks like nice obnoxiously bright orange yarn --lion brand wool ease in paprika. It arrives mere days before I am scheduled to visit my folks for Christmas. I grab the yarn without looking at it much and pack it in my carry on, along with my other knitting projects.

Needless to say when I first really looked at the yarn over the holiday, I noticed that paprika wasn't as bright an orange as I thought -- but my Mom --who like many mom's appreciates all sorts of things her children make, said not worry about the color. So I cast on and knit like fiend. Only to realize that the one skein of paprika was NOT going to be enough for the hat :oops: But no problem, I had some wool ease in natural so I all I had to do was insert some ivory stripes in the hat pattern. Go me. So the hat is done and I am considering a pom-pom when I take another look at the hat colors. Paprika (more of a rusty brown than orange) and ivory.
Can you say "deer colors"?! And I was thinking of adding an ivory pom-pom (deer tail anyone)? :teehee:

I've promised to make mom a more appropriately colored hat come hunting season next fall. I'm thinking yellow.

Julie

mks22300
03-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Your mom's hat looks wonderful!

knit-a-holic
03-05-2007, 03:52 AM
I can't help but giggle while reading your story. Your mom's hat came out great! She looks happy wearing it, too! :heart:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-05-2007, 08:07 AM
it's cute!!!! Moms love what we make for them no matter what it is. but your hat is extra special!!!!

nonny2t
03-05-2007, 09:35 AM
Well hopefully there are no stupid hunters that think deers have stripes!!! The hat is super duper!

steff
03-05-2007, 08:38 PM
The hat looks great but YES a pompom on top is a great idea

Id say the pompom should cotnrast with most of the hat

DreamWeaver
03-05-2007, 10:28 PM
I think a pompom would be a nice touch :thumbsup: And I don't think she looks like a deer.