PDA

View Full Version : Very OT: Need Haircut Advice

Knitting_Guy
03-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Well, ok, I don't actually need the advice, I'm a big boy. More like I would appreciate the input from you ladies.

I normally don't cut my hair during the Winter months as it gives me some extra insulation while working out in the cold. But hey, knit hats are nice and warm right?

Right now my hair is a bit on the shaggy side. I am parked for the remainder of the day and over night at a truck stop that has a barber shop. I am debating on whether to cut my hair or not.

As I have a full beard, maybe letting my hair grow long enough to tie back in a pony tail wouldn't be so bad. I used to wear it that way in my 20s (my old biker days). But now I'm 45. Would that look dumb on a guy my age?

I am undecided about letting it grow or cutting it short. What do you ladies think? Do you prefer shorter hair on a man or longer? Does his age make a difference?

meearnol
03-05-2007, 06:02 PM
My dad has a full beard also, and I MUCH prefer his hair when he has it shorter. It's not buzzed or anything, but he's definitely not shaggy by any stretch of the imagination.

So my vote is for shorter hair rather than long. :thumbsup:

dustinac
03-05-2007, 06:12 PM
I like shorter hair too... :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
03-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Ok, that's two votes against the middle aged hippie look :rofl:

Thanks.

Lisa Kay
03-05-2007, 06:14 PM
I vote for the short haircut.

And I agree with meearnol...not a buzz cut, just short.

But what do you like and think looks the best on you, Mason?

Ingrid
03-05-2007, 06:15 PM
There comes a point when pony tails just don't work for guys. :shrug:

iza
I think you can go with whatever you want, long or short! The only question I think is if you are losing your hair. Sometimes long hair show bald spots more for some reason.

Long hair doesn't look dumb at all, at any age! At least not for me. In any case, self-confidence is often what makes the difference between "looking good" or "looking stupid". :teehee:

janelanespaintbrush
Warning: highly opinionated thoughts here... I'm just stating my personal preferences and don't intend to offend anyone...

Honestly, I think very few men can pull off the ponytail look. I think long hair can look good on a man if it's worn down, neatly trimmed (i.e., not straggly) and simply styled (all one length is good -- no mullets). It must be thick and healthy; otherwise it can look like the guy is trying to compensate for balding (this can be exacerbated by the dreaded ponytail). Most of what I said can be applied to women too. I just don't like anything too fussy, I guess.

I think that for you, something medium-length and tousled would look good. Sort of casual and carefree but not too neglected looking... :blush: of course now that I look at your picture again, that's kind of what it's like already, isn't it? Well, I don't know how old that photo is; maybe it's longer now. But something close to what's in the pic would be fine... you could even go a tad bid longer and muss it up a bit more. Something like Beethoven's hair...

brendajos
03-05-2007, 06:19 PM
There is still a part of me that likes the long hair look. That is left over from my 80s hair band days. However there is a point where hair loss or fried ends does ruin it. Phil Collins and Michael Bolton are two very good examples of both....lol. Both looked MUCH better after they moved on (well Phil still doesn't look good but that's a whole different thing.)

As it is, I am mostly over the long hair but if you do it, don't do it if you are losin' the hair and make sure you keep it trimmed so the ends don't look like hay! :D

BostonBecca
03-05-2007, 06:20 PM
My boyfriend has a beard most of the time (I like that). I like him with hair that is on the shorter side and trimmed neatly when he has the beard especially. It looks better that way IMHO. That way the beard is sort of evened out by the short hair.

Krystal
03-05-2007, 06:23 PM
There comes a point when pony tails just don't work for guys. :shrug:

my question is, when did pony tails EVER work for guys? :rofl:

My vote is for shorter. I am not a fan of buzz cuts and I hate when my fiance gets them. But if he was to keep his hair the length I like he'd have to get a teeny tiny trim every week. lol.

Knitting_Guy
03-05-2007, 06:25 PM
hmmm, interesting input.

While I am not balding...yet, it is thinning a bit up top, which is something to consider.

As for the pic, my hair is pretty close to what you see in the pic. That one was taken just about a year ago after letting my hair grow during the Winter just as this year. Hair and beard are both just about like the pic now.

As for a tousled look, that's pretty much normal for my hair and it's hard to make it look any other way :rofl:

I'm honestly not sure it makes all that much difference as I wear some sort of hat most of the time anyway. I'm just curious what women think with regard to men's hair these days.

Stiney
03-05-2007, 06:33 PM
As long as a guy isn't growing his hair to hide balding, I don't care what he does with it. Some guys look better with different hair-styles than others, but my main criteria is no combovers, and no growing hair out when you have a bald spot. If you do, cut it real short or just shave it. Show's over, do it with grace.

(Of course, this does not apply to my brother, who generally looks like he has greasy cobwebs on his head. He looks SO MUCH BETTER with a crew cut but he's a wannabe hippie and so he grows it stupid.)

I think you'd look better with short hair, especially if you shave the beard for the summer months. But it's your hair. We demand pictures either way. :rofl:

KathyinCali
03-05-2007, 06:36 PM
I vote for going on the shorter side....

Happy cutting! :)

nadja la claire
03-05-2007, 06:40 PM
Yuck :ick: I can't stand those stupid ponytails!! Not that it probably wouldn't look good on you, but then again I really don't know what you look like. Anyway, I'm not a fan of the biker look. I say cut it short. Heck my DH has had a shaved head for as long as I've known him, before it was fashionable.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

ecuzzacrea
03-05-2007, 06:41 PM
I like short hair on men. I'm not a big fan of the male pony tale, but there are a few guys out there that can pull it off.

I vote for getting it chopped off! :rofl:

Silver
03-05-2007, 06:44 PM
My hubbo had long hair (like 12+ inches) for years and years, pretty much since I met him almost 20 years ago. He's a biker too, so it was just the "thing" for him to wear it in a ponytail with his leathers. He looked hot, IMHO. But a couple years ago I just got over it, and kept asking him when he was gonna step out of the 80's and join the rest of us. He cut his hair short, and has kept it short ever since. And I think he looks hotter now than he ever did.

Consider me another vote for short hair.

stacy.duval
03-05-2007, 07:32 PM
My vote is for short... especially if you wear a hat. When it's long it peeks out from the hat on the sides, and you have worse hat head when you take the hat off. (Gross!) And older men with thinning-on-top hair should definitely not have it long. It seems too much like compensation.
Of course it is a very rare occasion for me to like long hair on any man. Shaggy hair on guys drives me nuts, and it is all the rage right now, especially with the younger crowd. My 16 year-old stepson knows to not come around me with shaggy hair, as I am a "clippers-in-the-night" kind of person. Just my opinion, of course.

HAPPY CUTTING!

stitchwitch
03-05-2007, 07:40 PM
I vote for short. :D If I didn't look absolutely hideous without long hair I'd cut all of mine off!

auburnchick
03-05-2007, 07:47 PM
For the record, I vote for short. But go with what YOU like the best.

If you cut it shorter, post a pict! Let us see if we were right in our advice. :teehee:

Cristy
03-05-2007, 08:32 PM
I'm going to vote for short hair too...my dh is balding (poor guy) and it was a glorious day when he buzzed his hair (not crew cut style--think Dave Matthews--just long enough to lay down flat). My dh also wears a beard and mustache (sp?) that connects at the corners of his mouth (I am a BIG fan of facial hair). I love to see a man w/ well groomed hair--facial and on his head.

Knitting_Guy
03-05-2007, 08:33 PM
I really appreciate all of the honest input. I was sitting here in the truck debating the issue when I saw a guy walk past with long shaggy hair and the only thing I could think was "trashy".

I just got back from getting it cut (and having dinner). She cut it much shorter than I would have liked (think Bruce Willis), but it'll grow back. And it does feel better even though it makes me look much more balding than I did before the cut. Sucks getting old.

Dunno about a pic though. It's a bit too short for my liking. And I always thought Bruce Willis looked like a dork with that really short haircut. :rofl:

Cristy
03-05-2007, 08:39 PM
awww....come on...you started it---give us a picture to look at....we were nice enough to give our opinions....that's worth something, right???

Stiney
03-05-2007, 08:45 PM
She cut it much shorter than I would have liked (think Bruce Willis), but it'll grow back.

That's why I couldn't figure out why my mom was so mad when I got the mohawk. I mean, I was a legal adult, and it's just hair. My hair is in my eyes right now, and I like the look, but I think I might go super short for the summer.

Yeah, we need pictures. :poke:

madametj
03-05-2007, 08:48 PM
I like short hair on men. I'm not a big fan of the male pony tale, but there are a few guys out there that can pull it off.

I vote for getting it chopped off! :rofl:

took the words right out of my mouth :noway:

Jan in CA
03-05-2007, 08:50 PM
I'd go with shorter, too. One thing to remember...hair grows so if you don't like it there is an out. ;)

Knitting_Guy
03-05-2007, 09:01 PM
awww....come on...you started it---give us a picture to look at....we were nice enough to give our opinions....that's worth something, right???

Yeah you're right. Ya must be a horror fan. :rofl:

Don't say I didn't warn ya.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c50/mason61/00001-2.jpg

Cristy
03-05-2007, 09:04 PM
:cheering: :cheering: Way to go!!! I think it looks good!!!

I am a horror fan--so long as it doesn't involve little children..then I freak out too much...

letah75
03-05-2007, 09:08 PM
looks good!!

I didn't get here quick enough to vote, but I like long hair on men...Providing it is clean and well kept. Call me a thow back.

But I think you look very nice Mason!!!!

Stiney
03-05-2007, 09:16 PM
:thumbsup:

Looks good!

HeatherFeather
03-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Looks good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

T H E most beautiful head of hair I'd seen on ANYONE was at a reenactment.

He was French, and had the most stunning french braid down his back. It just fit with his whole garb.

I like a "kept look"on a normal day tho....and since of course I like a "kept" look the boys in the house are vetoing it!!! and rebelling. but, it' hair, and if that's ALL I have to worry about...i'm counting my blessings.

Chel
03-05-2007, 09:20 PM
If your name isn't Legolas, then nix the pony tail. Of course I'm saying this too late.

*thumbs up* on the haircut. Much better.

And you have pretty eyes.

HeatherFeather
03-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Cristy honey...I took a peek at that Petunia bag...forget the sling...tuck your babe in that!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol....that sure looks fun. What color are you knitting it in?

Sara
03-05-2007, 09:33 PM
I vote with Silver--her DH really is hot... :teehee: :oops: :teehee:

I like the new cut! You look great. :cheering:

All the ponytail professors on campus seem to me as if they're trying to compensate for something. :shrug: Male pattern baldness and ponytails don't mix, IMHO.

Silver
03-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Well, too short or not, I think it looks really great, AND I think it makes you look younger.
:cheering:

zkimom
03-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Ok, Mason -- you opened this up for our opinions on your hair -- short's good btw.

Now you gotta trim your beard.

Just this woman's opinion!

Best,
Susan

OK -- I couldn't help myself -- at least this time I left out the hat :teehee:

HeatherFeather
03-05-2007, 10:23 PM
:thumbsup:

CamNMeg
03-05-2007, 11:23 PM
I wasn't here in time to vote, either, but I think you look great! :cheering:

Knitting_Guy
03-05-2007, 11:29 PM
Thanks everyone.

The beard stays :rofl:

And you have pretty eyes.

Thanks, I've had them since I was a kid.

Lisa Kay
03-06-2007, 01:42 AM
:thumbsup: Great haircut!

Ok, Mason -- you opened this up for our opinions on your hair -- short's good btw.

Now you gotta trim your beard.

Just this woman's opinion!

I agree...don't ditch the beard, just a trim. Think Sean Connery.

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/7571/seanconneryst5.th.jpg (http://img159.imageshack.us/my.php?image=seanconneryst5.jpg)

auburnchick
03-06-2007, 01:45 AM
Good job, Mason!

Next thing you know, you'll be making a hat to keep that noggin warm!

Jan in CA
03-06-2007, 01:54 AM
hmmm, interesting input.

While I am not balding...yet, it is thinning a bit up top, which is something to consider.

Yeah, you definitely want to avoid the Gallagher look! :ick:

You look great! No more leprechaun look! :teehee: I know it feels strange, but it will grow and I bet when the weather is hot it would feel good that way, too!

Nikita-amimono
03-06-2007, 06:12 AM
Fresh and clean look, Mason!

I like it!

:yay:

Niki

AmandaC
03-06-2007, 06:35 AM
Another vote for a trimmed beard here :thumbsup:

Hair looks good.

Knitting_Guy
03-06-2007, 08:42 AM
I appreciate the comments folks. I'll get used to the haircut I'm sure.

As for the beard, I have no plans to trim it short. I like it fuller.

dustinac
03-06-2007, 10:04 AM
:cheering:

janelanespaintbrush
03-06-2007, 10:48 AM
Okay, I'll be the voice of dissension here... it looks perfectly fine short, but I actually liked it a bit longer. Not super long, but medium length. Like Beethoven, as I said before. A bit unkempt, but not so neglected that it looks pathetic. I just think it would fit your overall look and personality better because short just seems too ordinary for you. KWIM? Not that it's a horrible thing that you cut it or anything. It's just hair, after all. But since you asked for opinions, I thought I'd proffer my own (apparently atypical) one. As for the beard, unlike 99.9% of men, I think you probably look better with than without.

DianaM
03-06-2007, 12:17 PM
My opinion concerning men's hair is that as long as it looks good on them and they keep it clean, they can do whatever they want with it.

That said, short hair suits you....and since I'm a sucker for facial hair.......definitely keep the beard.

kemp
03-06-2007, 01:23 PM
Just me, but I much prefer shorter hair...and based on your picture I think it would look great on you. You have such a nice face...I think long hair would just detract from that, especially since you already have the facial hair.

aylaanne
03-06-2007, 01:28 PM
I love ponytails. I think you'll look like a rugged lumberjack. :mmm:

Stonington
03-06-2007, 02:29 PM
I too like facial hair... DH is threatening to shave most of his off for his daughter's wedding. :( I like the style of the new cut Mason :cheering: -maybe just a dite longer. You must have felt "hair naked" when she was done lol.

anne

mrs desert rain
03-06-2007, 05:21 PM
i'm obviously in the minority on this, but i really like a full, shaggy beard! :shrug: short, manicured beards are weird to me, as are goatees.

saracidaltendencies
03-06-2007, 06:04 PM
I say a guy looks great with whatever cut compliments his face. If a guy has a fuller face, sometimes long hair works better to give the appearance of a thinner face and if a guy has a thin face, his hair looks much better shorter because long hair hides so much of his already thin face. Personally, I like both. My dad still has long hair, not as long as it was at one time, but about shoulder length, maybe a little longer...I can't imagine my dad with his hair any other way...lol...Hubby has shorter hair with longer bangs, his hair used to be much longer, but, he had a SUPER thin face and the long hair just made him look weird...haha...The shorter cut he has just compliments his face so much better than the long hair did.

So, I say base your cut on the type of face you have :)

DQ
03-06-2007, 06:40 PM
I think the hair looks good Mason, and you have very nice eyes :thumbsup:

Knitting_Guy
03-06-2007, 06:47 PM
I injured my back this morning and am not up to typing much right now so I'll just say a general thanks to everyone and will try to comment, read, and post on the forums later on when I am feeling up to it.

DQ
03-06-2007, 06:53 PM
I injured my back this morning and am not up to typing much right now so I'll just say a general thanks to everyone and will try to comment, read, and post on the forums later on when I am feeling up to it.

Aww :( I hope you feel better soon :hug:

HeatherFeather
03-06-2007, 07:02 PM
GET BETTER SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

landolphe
03-06-2007, 07:26 PM
Mason,

Let it grow, grow, let it grow. A ponytail will look great. Trust me - I've had one since 1966.

Cheers,

Lando

MoniDew
03-07-2007, 01:22 AM
Mason, I sure hope your back is better after some rest!

You managed to generate 5 pages (so far) of comments from women about your hair! That's gotta be some kind of record!

By the way - I love super short, thinning, nearly balding hair. I think Bruce Willis gets sexier every day. Ed Harris is a favorite of mine, for years and years now! If you've got that mischief in your eye, a sense of humor and CONFIDENCE, who cares if your hair is thinning!?! Not women, that's for sure!!! A secure guy is a sexy guy - period!

Thinning hair is very sexy to some women.
Men need to know this, so they will stop worrying about or covering up their thinning/balding spots.
________
Chrysler 300 Non-Letter Series History (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Chrysler_300_non-letter_series)

Knitting_Guy
03-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Thanks everyone. I had no idea there would be so many comments and opinions about a guy's hair.

As for the back, I am in a tremendous amount of pain right now, but am still trying to reach WI where I can see a doctor for some muscle relaxers and hole up in a hotel for a few days.

Abbily
03-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Holy cow Mason, I hope the back is improving!!

I got into this too late to vote, but just wanted to say I think you look great! I think it will be perfect somewhere between the haircut and where it was before. :) Also love the eyes!

Mama Bear
03-07-2007, 07:02 PM
Mason,

Not knowing the type of injury I just throw this out there as a possible idea.

A soak in warm espom salts might help with muscle pain, runners use it for sore muscles to help the body get rid of lactic acid. Maybe find a motel room with a jacuzzi and buy a bag of epsom salts from a walmart? If it were me I would use about half a bag at night and then again in the morning. Just a note, soap scums up in epsom salts, so don't use soap until the end of the bath when most of the epsom salts has been absorbed.

The bromelain enzyme is pineapple is also a natural anti-inflammatory. If you like pineapple, you might pick some up and eat that. Fresh is more potent, but canned still can help a fair bit, so if you could get a couple cans of pineapple, it could still help some.

And if you really want to hit this from all sides, some good flax oil couldn't hurt. It can help with inflammation also.

I am not aware of any of these having interaction problems with most medications, but if you are on medications you may want to do a search or ask a doctors.

Mama Bear

Dangles
03-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Mason, love the new haircut. I'm agreeing with the trimmed beard.

As for your back :( aww get better soon. :hug: Sending you get well vibes.

MoniDew
03-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Mason,

Not knowing the type of injury I just throw this out there as a possible idea.

A soak in warm espom salts might help with muscle pain, runners use it for sore muscles to help the body get rid of lactic acid. Maybe find a motel room with a jacuzzi and buy a bag of epsom salts from a walmart? If it were me I would use about half a bag at night and then again in the morning. Just a note, soap scums up in epsom salts, so don't use soap until the end of the bath when most of the epsom salts has been absorbed.

The bromelain enzyme is pineapple is also a natural anti-inflammatory. If you like pineapple, you might pick some up and eat that. Fresh is more potent, but canned still can help a fair bit, so if you could get a couple cans of pineapple, it could still help some.

And if you really want to hit this from all sides, some good flax oil couldn't hurt. It can help with inflammation also.

I am not aware of any of these having interaction problems with most medications, but if you are on medications you may want to do a search or ask a doctors.

Mama Bear

Listen to Mama Bear! And I would add that Calcium is a natural muscle relaxant! (So is the magnesium in the Epsom Salts she mentioned!)
________
Jaguar R5 Picture (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Jaguar_R5)

Knitting_Guy
03-07-2007, 11:09 PM
Thanks Mama and Moni, I appreciate the suggestions but at the moment my options are very limited.

nadja la claire
03-07-2007, 11:33 PM
Don't you dare shave that facial hair. Trim maybe when it needs it, but don't shave it. Oh and by the way love the do.

Nadja xxx

msoebel
03-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Wow...six pages about Mason's hair! It looks like you have a real "hairem". :rofl:

(Okay, I realize that was a pathetic pun :oops: , but to get this many women to reply back about your hair...well, obviously, you're popular!).

As for your comment regarding Bruce Willis and your unfortunate use of the word "dork"...I will forgive you this one time. That man is pretty darn sexy! Forget Ben Affleck, forget Brad Pitt (that momma's boy!), forget Ashton Kutcher...they don't have anything on Bruce!

Misty

brownishcoat
03-08-2007, 11:24 AM
One of the guys I work with called Bruce Willis "a real horn-dog" after meeting him. And he didn't mean it as a compliment.

Knitting_Guy
03-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Just a quick update. I wimped out this morning and called for an ambulance to take me to the hospital. My back was totally seized up.

They shot me full of drugs that have me seriously stoned and wrote me some scripts. I took a cab to the pharmacy and then back to the truck stop where I have rented a room until Monday as I was instructed to take it easy and not try to drive before then.

zkimom
03-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Mason,

Thanks for the update on how you are doing.

You did the right thing -- now get some rest so you can get back to the important stuff like, you know, knitting!

Wishing you the best and sending good healing juju your way.

Susan

Abbily
03-08-2007, 04:55 PM
Wow, hope you're feeling better soon!!

Knitting_Guy
03-08-2007, 05:36 PM
Thanks folks. The drugs are finally starting to take some of the edge off the spasms. I still can barely walk, I have to use my cane, but at least it's some slight improvement. I'm alternating between laying down and moving around as best as I am able despite the intense pain. I don't want to keep laying down too much as it'll just make the spasms worse.

zkimom
03-08-2007, 05:38 PM
Mason,

Just wondering -- did you make it out of Connecticut?

Best,
Susan

zkimom
03-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Mason,

Ok -- just read your blog and see you left the Nutmeg State -- too bad, I would have brought you some chicken soup if you were still in Bridgeport!

Hope you are feeling better,
Susan

Knitting_Guy
03-08-2007, 09:22 PM
I appreciate the thought Susan. I'm a typical pig headed male who doesn't give in until he simply has no choice.

Jan in CA
03-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Yikes, Mason! Back spasms are awful! I hope you're feeling better and that it's getting better, too.

nadja la claire
03-08-2007, 10:15 PM
Oh Mason, I'm so sorry. :hug: I know how awful those spasms can be. :crying: I remember when I was cooking for a living and I was lifting 100lbs. of potatoes and my back went out, I was literally seeing stars the pain was so intense. I had to crawl off the line. Oh man, I hope you feel better soon. Prescription drugs can be a veeeery goooood thing.

Nadja xxx

aylaanne
03-08-2007, 11:40 PM
Mason, I'm glad you got some meds. I hope you get some much needed rest and are feeling better soon! (and I hope this doesn't make too much of a hit into your bank account).

Knitting_Guy
03-09-2007, 09:02 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm still hanging in there. So far the drugs haven't really made a lot of difference but I know that takes time. It really rubs me the wrong way to need help, but when ya can't move what other choice is there?

I have a few people here, the head bartender whom I have known for years of stopping here and who is married to a trucker, the truck stop manager, one of the waitresses, and the hotel manager, all trying to mother me to death but it's nice to know that I have some people here who care and want to help.

imported_Knitty_Kat
03-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Nice haircut. I agree that the beard needs a trim next, but only after your back starts to feel better. You look so distinguished with your pipe. Back in high school I had a horse and my friend who boarded her horse at the same stable had a father who smoked a pipe. I used to love to catch a whiff of the pipe tobacco.

A little over a year ago I rolled out of bed the wrong way and pinched a Sciatic nerve. Talk about pain! I would have rather given birth again than go through that. I was laid up in bed for six days and had to literally crawl to use the restroom. My precious husband got used to seeing me in the same pajamas since I was in too much pain to even put on different clothes. I would wake up in the night sobbing like a baby because the spasms were so painful. Nothing helped. I tried the heating pad, laying with a pillow underneath me, pain meds. Nothing worked. It finally worked itself out and once I was able to take a relaxing, warm bath it got better, but to this day it gives me the occasional fits. I hope you get to feeling better soon. There's nothing worse than being laid up in bed. At first it seems like a nice little vacation and then about the second day it starts to royally suck.

Ellieblue
03-09-2007, 05:08 PM
I really feel for you Mason, I've been there many times. One time it was so bad that I broke down and went to a chiropractor and he helped a lot. It's worth a try if you can get someone to drive you there. :star: ellie