PDA

View Full Version : OT - Online Place to Store Internet Bookmarks

auburnchick
03-06-2007, 11:33 AM
After reading the some posts in the "How do you organize your patterns" thread, I thought I would post about the website ikeepbookmarks.com (http://ikeepbookmarks.com).

It's a fabulous site that one of the teachers at my school told me about.

You set up a free account and export your current bookmarks (instructions provided at the site). Then you can log into your account and add, delete, or edit your bookmarks any time. You can also make the site accessible to others and give them certain rights (such as add, delete, etc.).

This is a great way to access your favorite sites from anywhere -- whether you are at work, on vacation, etc. You just log into your account, pick the site you want, and click on it. It's also a safe way to keep your bookmarks stored. Heaven forbid that the computer crashes and you lose all of the wonderful sites you have accumulated over the years.

This is something I use all the time...especially when reading these posts with all of the great links provided.

Just thought I would share -- I'm not making any money off of this. :teehee: I'm just your average computer tech who likes to pass along helpful info. ;)

Krautie
03-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Thank you for this great link! I am always very afraid that our computer somedays will have a serious problem and then all my favorite sites are gone :passedout:

This would be a very bad day for me :!!!:

The list with my favorites is nearly as long as the Amazonas :D and I will never find all of them again if our computer has a crash.

To avoid this, I send me a mail with my importants favorites, so the links are stored at gmx and not only on our computer....but your way is much better, I think!

And - very convenient for me - your link is also available in german :cheering:

Thanks,
Krautie

auburnchick
03-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Always glad to help! :)

Krautie
03-06-2007, 12:51 PM
To use the site is free, right? I found nothing about costs and prices and if I put all my favorites there and then receive an invoice - my husband will kill me :??

auburnchick
03-06-2007, 01:01 PM
To use the site is free, right? I found nothing about costs and prices and if I put all my favorites there and then receive an invoice - my husband will kill me :??

Yes...free!

XbelovedXoneX
03-06-2007, 02:09 PM
I've always used http://del.icio.us/. It's great having access to favorites wherever you are!

KathyinCali
03-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Wow. Great idea! Thanks for the links :)

Tonid1980
03-06-2007, 02:42 PM
Thats a great tool! I have a ton of bookmarks at work... :teehee: ... but none at home on s.o.'s computer, so this will be a great way for me to have my stuff in both places... YOU ROCK

1to1
03-06-2007, 02:42 PM
I just set up my account. It really appears to be helpful but I question its secuirty. I deleted all my banking and credit card sites. I'm afraid that is just too unsafe. What do you all think? :shrug: :??

I think it will be great for saving patterns and website though. I know there have been many times when I'm looking for something and have it saved either at work or home.

Thanks for sharing!

auburnchick
03-06-2007, 02:47 PM
I just set up my account. It really appears to be helpful but I question its secuirty. I deleted all my banking and credit card sites. I'm afraid that is just too unsafe. What do you all think? :shrug: :??

I think it will be great for saving patterns and website though. I know there have been many times when I'm looking for something and have it saved either at work or home.

Thanks for sharing!

I don't think it's bad to have those sites, as long as you have the generic site (example: wachovia.com). I keep my various house bill websites on there just so I don't have to hunt around for them.

Regardless, I think it's a GREAT tool.

I plan on using this site after I get my teaching degree. It is such a great way to give people access (you set up a username and password just for these users...separate from your own) to your favorite sites. You can decide which of the sites people have access to by simply clicking a box next to the website on your list.

Wonderful, flexible tool.

Krautie
03-06-2007, 02:57 PM
@1to1

I put there only my "harmless" favorites - no links to banks, insurances and other stuff like that.

auburnchick
03-06-2007, 03:38 PM
One other thing...

There's an option to make your bookmarks "public." Make sure that box is NOT checked. Then no one but YOU sees the bookmarks.

stacyk9
03-06-2007, 06:35 PM
This is a great site! Now I can access a pattern from anywhere! Hmmm. I'll have to start traveling with my needles now!!! :teehee:

Stacy

auburnchick
03-06-2007, 09:14 PM
This is a great site! Now I can access a pattern from anywhere! Hmmm. I'll have to start traveling with my needles now!!! :teehee:

Stacy

You mean you don't already?????

Mine go everywhere with me. :teehee: