PDA

View Full Version : Monica from the new knitty spring

Ali
03-07-2007, 07:20 PM
I would love to knit this for my daughters...anyone with me?

I can't start it yet, as I have two knitting WIP's and one crochet WIP. Once I am down to two WIP's I can start!
(Not to mention my -other- very longstanding WIP's)

I have some organic coloured cotton I might be able to use. Two shades of green.
[ http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring07/PATTmonica.html ]

How do you do hyperlinks?
:oops:
it seems I did know

Yarnlady
03-08-2007, 09:50 AM
I might have to do this. It's the first project that's even tempted me to turn away from my new sock addiction! :rofl:

marykz
03-08-2007, 09:56 AM
I'm definitely making this but I must finish 2 other projects first. I love that adorable pattern, and my mom (a master knitter) promised to show me the 3 needle bind off so I can get it right! I'm going to make it in the size 6 kids, but I haven't picked a yarn yet.

how soon are we starting? I'll try to get my other stuff done asap.

zkimom
03-08-2007, 11:34 AM
I am so making this!

All I have to do is get my March KAL going and order some yarn from Knit Picks!

Can't wait!

Best,
Susan

shelleyj3
03-08-2007, 12:27 PM
what type of yarn are you guys going to use for this? I've just bought some Crystal Palace Bamboozle for another project that I think would be perfect for this. :shrug:

What do you think??

zkimom
03-08-2007, 01:31 PM
I was thinking knit picks shine -- what do you think?

shelleyj3
03-08-2007, 03:33 PM
I've never tried Knit Picks shine. I would love to try it!

zkimom
03-08-2007, 05:19 PM
I was looking at this pattern and wondering if I could do this whole thing in the round.

I would cast on double the number of stitches for the body and knit the length that I want. Then I could knit the ruffle also on a circ. and join the 2 pieces by knitting them together from one needle to the next.

No seams to sew!

I think I'm going to try it in some stash yarn -- there's no shaping involved so how hard could that be?

Any reason it wouldn't work?

Best,
Susan

lynnlisiewski
03-08-2007, 06:05 PM
I want to do this one also
just not yet
I have a few loose end to tie up or shall I say weave in

I have already sent this to my daughter for my granddaughters approval
and color choices they are 6 and 8

I was thinking superwash but do you think shine would be better
shine is cheaper

let me know I am looking forward to these KAL this will help me use the yarn I have or at least have some sticks empty

Lynn
Modesto, CA

waylynadam@sbcglobal.net

colors are being

zkimom
03-08-2007, 06:28 PM
I was thinking superwash but do you think shine would be better
shine is cheaper

You have to look at yardage -- Shine is $2.49 a ball but there are only 75 yards to a skein. The pattern is in Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece which has 215 yards per skein. So you have to get at least 8 skeins of Shine (3 in the ruffle color, 5 for the body.)

I'm not familiar with Superwash so I can't compare.

Ali
03-08-2007, 06:53 PM
I'm still not ready to start.

I will definitely be using some cotton from my stash, either the organic coloured, or some other stuff I have hanging around.

I'm planning to make two; one in size 2 and one in size 6. They will be for my daughters for next summer (It is autumn in OZ). That should be plenty of time to get them done!

I would like to do mine in the round as well.

Brrlracinbt
03-08-2007, 09:36 PM
That is adorable! I wish I had little girls!

lynnlisiewski
03-09-2007, 12:47 AM
we do not have a store that carries brown sheep in my area
San Francisco is the closest 90 miles away but thanks for the heads up on the yardage

I was so excited I forgot about that small detail

marykz
03-13-2007, 02:37 PM
got my yarn- gonna cast on tonite! my LYS didn't have brown sheep cotton fleece, so I got Plymouth yarn Jeannee cotton/ acrylic blend in two blues.

christinaj
03-13-2007, 03:58 PM
Hi,

I've been eyeing this pattern too for my 2 year daughter. Like many of the others, I have 2 sweaters to finish before casting on. I'm making matching cardi's for my 2 nieces for Easter (my daughter has one too!).

So I'll be following the KAL and looking for yarn ideas.
I've knit with Knit Picks Shine before and really like it but I think I'll try something that I can get at my LYS.

Christina

mommyknitter
03-14-2007, 12:10 AM
I started this last night. I'm making the size 8, and using Cotton Fleece in Candy Apple and Blush. My daughter had to have one just like the picture! I've done about 6 inches of the front so far.

I don't have anything but a Wal-Mart near me, so I ordered my yarn from WEBS. It arrived a lot faster than I thought it would!

shelleyj3
03-22-2007, 07:36 AM
I have started this pattern and have the front finished and working on the front ruffle. I didn't want to use 100% cotton so I'm using Benat Crochet Cotton, which has a nice sheen and some nylon. I also wasn't thrilled with doing nothing but stockinette for the entire thing, so I did some lace pattern for the front. It's going to be very cute. I will post a pic when I have the front ruffle attached.

marykz
03-22-2007, 09:01 AM
I too just started the front ruffle! :) This is going to be so cute- I can't wait to see everyone else's! If I get any done today I'll post a picture... MKZ

Abbily
03-22-2007, 09:45 AM
Oh, ME! ME! :bouncing up and down in my chair; :happydance: I'm definitely going to make these for my girls as soon as I get my yarn order. I'm just using Caron simply soft because my girls are young and MESSY. :) I can't wait to get started!!

marykz
03-22-2007, 12:38 PM
just a pattern verification question- in the ruffle instructions: it says "work in st st until work measures 2.5 [2.5, 3, 3.5, 4] inches."

This means X inches from the cast-on right?

or X inches from the beginning of the st st?

-trying to trust the pattern- mkz

marykz
03-22-2007, 09:12 PM
I just added the ruffle to the front:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/101/430902672_2b4edba684_d.jpg

I still have to do the 3 rows K, then the straps.

then the back!! This is looking pretty cute- Yay!

shelleyj3
03-23-2007, 11:42 AM
Mary,

It looks adorable. I can't wait to see it finished. The two blues compliment each other well.

Abbily
03-23-2007, 12:37 PM
Mary, that looks great! Good job! I can't wait to get started on mine... :)

shelleyj3
03-25-2007, 06:40 PM
Here's my version of the pattern. It's for my 8 year old niece. I didn't want to use 100% cotton so I used Bernat Crochet Cotton. It's 70% cotton, 30% nylon and although it's a crummy pic, the color is a brite pink and it has alittle sheen. I love this yarn! I'm doing the back in stockinette stitch...

Shelley

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/shelleyj3/knitting/KnittysMonica.jpg

marykz
03-25-2007, 07:16 PM
Shelley that is SO beautiful. I love your interpretation of the pattern with the lacyness and using one color. Wow!! the yarn really makes the difference.

shelleyj3
03-25-2007, 07:20 PM
Thanks so much! I just don't like to do all stockinette. It just bores me sometimes! The simple lace pattern made it fun...

Shelley

Abbily
03-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Shelley, that's incredible!! Would you mind sharing the pattern for that stitch? Sorry if it's a common one... I'm a newbie! LOL

Carey

shelleyj3
03-26-2007, 07:40 AM
Carey,

Thanks! I think our posts just crossed. See above for stitch pattern...

shelleyj3
03-26-2007, 07:45 AM
Carey,

Here's the pattern...

http://cache.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/faq-search.cgi?store=/stores/eyarn&faqKey=279

I found a typo in the pattern on Row 4. Start with K2, not K1

Enjoy!

Abbily
03-26-2007, 09:38 AM
Thanks, Shelley! :) I'm so excited to try out a new stitch! :)

Carey

Abbily
03-30-2007, 09:51 AM
WOO HOO, I was finally able to start my first Monica last night! :) I'm using the eyelet diamonds pattern that Shelley so kindly gave me, and it looks so cute! :) I've only got one repeat done so far, so I'll wait a little while to post pictures. I'm so excited to finally get it started! :D

shelleyj3
03-30-2007, 10:07 AM
Carey,

I can't wait to see the pictures. What color are you doing it in???

Shelley

Abbily
03-30-2007, 10:10 AM
Shelley, the bodice is in Caron SS Plum Wine, and the ruffle will be Soft Pink.

How on earth am I going to make myself work all day today when I'd SOOO rather be knitting! :P

shelleyj3
03-30-2007, 10:20 AM
Oh that will be sooooo pretty. I know what you mean about 'I'd rather be knitting'. Work seems like such a waste...when you have projects to do. I started alittle knitting group here at my work. We knit for an hour every Thursday and it's soooo nice and relaxing.

Can't wait to see pics when you ready to post them!

Abbily
03-30-2007, 10:24 AM
Shelley, what a great idea! I would love to start a work knitting group! Unfortunately this is a really small firm, there are only two of us here that knit. :) And we spend most of the day talking about it, as it is! :)

I don't have my camera with me right now, but I'll post pics over the weekend or on Monday. :)

Thanks for chatting with me about it! :) It's the next best thing! :)

Abbily
04-02-2007, 09:48 AM
OK, I posted this in "Whatcha Knittin'?", but thought I would post it here too. Here's the front of my first Monica tank!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/mommycarey/Monicatank001.jpg

shelleyj3
04-02-2007, 09:51 AM
Carey,

That is so pretty! I love the lace work on the front. It really adds alot and the color is beautiful! Can't wait to see it completed!

Shelley :muah:

monzogary
04-02-2007, 10:52 AM
I just cast on for a modified version of Monica this morning. I'm doing it in the round with Bubble Gum pink Cotton Ease and adding a neat stitch pattern to the body. Hoping it goes quickly!

shelleyj3
04-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Can't wait to see it, Mary!

Abbily
04-02-2007, 11:10 AM
Mary, I can't wait to see pictures! :)

monzogary
04-05-2007, 12:05 AM
I've got the body of the tank done and now I'm working on the ruffle. If I get enough time to work on it, I may have it done before Friday. Not that it will do any good with the weather we're having here - its only 23 here now with a predicted high of mid 30's through at least the beginning of next week! We had near 70 yesterday :?? Stupid Michigan weather!!

marykz
04-10-2007, 04:40 PM
here's #1
still damp from blocking. (that's why the MC looks dark on one side)
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/210/454464163_d34e4a8ff1_d.jpg

Abbily
04-10-2007, 04:46 PM
Beautiful!! I love those colors!

lynnlisiewski
04-10-2007, 06:51 PM
Very nice

shelleyj3
04-11-2007, 07:26 AM
That is soooooo pretty! Nice job. I still have to finish the back on mine...I'm moving in two days so I have to almost pack the needles!!!! :pout:

MommaG
04-15-2007, 09:04 PM
I just started this last night. I am so excited I can't wait till I get it done and see it on my daughter.

MommaG
04-17-2007, 05:40 PM
I finished already. Yeah. I found it so easy to do very simple.Heres a pic of Atlanta wearing it.

lynnlisiewski
04-18-2007, 08:24 PM
Adorable
so is the top

SkyBluePink
07-18-2007, 01:24 PM
I can't wait to start this project (in the round of course!! :lol:). This would be my first 'fitted' pattern.

I have two beautiful nieces who would wear these day and night! They live across the country so I had their mom measure their chests and from their shoulders to waists. I then compared that with the measurements on the pattern.

Rut row.

My nearly 4 year old niece measured out at chest=21 and length=12. So she just barely fits in the children's size two. I know she is petite, but sheesh! Maybe my sister didn't measure correctly or we're not measuring the right area.

However, My little niece who is 1.5 years old is measured out chest=18 and length=9. So even the children's two would be entirely too big. Is it possible to tweak the pattern a little bit to fit her? I have no idea how to go about it. I'm guessing I would knit less rounds on the body to shorten it a bit? As to how to modify the chest area...hmmm:shrug:

Any advice from seasoned Monica knitters? :heart:

lissalue
07-18-2007, 02:04 PM
since it is just stockinette, i would imagine that any number of stitches would work. i would keep it even for the sake of the ruffle, but it should be very easy to make smaller.

SkyBluePink
07-18-2007, 04:00 PM
Thanks, Lissa. I will try that. I am assuming I will cast on for the ruffle the same amount that I cast on for the body of the tank (for the modified version). Correct? :happydance:

lissalue
07-18-2007, 08:49 PM
I am not sure, i did mine like the pattern. i plan to do my next one in the round though.

just1morerow
08-11-2007, 12:25 AM
SBP, it may be too late at this point but I have one word for you... swatch! :)

Make up a swatch so you know your gauge and then figure out how many stitches you need to get the proper sized. It's just a tube (or rather 2 tubes, one for body & one for ruffle) so it should be easy to modify to any size you like from newborn to preteen (you'd need more shaping for a bosom LOL).

If you will be knitting in the round, you have to swatch in the round. If you google it, you can probably find directions. You basically cast on a small swatch on circs and then slide it around to the other needle when you get to the end of the row. At the end you'll have a bunch of loops on the back that you'll have to cut.

Block your swatch then calculate how many stitches per inch you end up with. Then all you have to do is multiply your gauge by how many inches you want the tank to measure around chest and cast on that number. :)

Not sure what you mean by "cast on for the ruffle the same amount that I cast on for the body of the tank".

The pattern reads you cast on 2 stitches less than 2x as many as the tank. So if you decide for your gauge/size you need 84 stitches for body (42 for front & 42 for back) you'd cast on (84x2)-2=166. After you calculate the gauge for the tank, just double the number you cast on and subtract 2. On the ruffle, make sure you place a marker at the start of the row then in the decrease round you have to make sure by the end of the round you end up with exactly the same number of stitches as you have on the body. In the round the decrease will be *K1, K2tog* since you'll only purl at bottom of tank & above the ruffle + straps.

From what I've been reading, the straps tend to stretch due to weight of ruffle so instead of sewing straps together, I'm thinking of leaving them long to tie. :)