PDA

View Full Version : OT: The Bartender Crochets

Knitting_Guy
03-10-2007, 08:44 PM
I went to the truck stop bar for a couple of beers earlier. Being couped up here for the past few days hass become very boring. I took my knitting along as I haven't been up to working on the current sock since I hurt my back.

The bartender came over and checked out my knitting, asking what I was making. I told her I was knitting a sock and she was all happy and told me how she crochets and is working on an afghan.

A couple of the other truckers in the bar were checking out what I was doing and asking questions about it. They seemed genuinely interested and I was more than happy to tell them how relaxing it is after a long day of driving.

I wasn't able to knit for long as sitting up for any length of time gets my back to spasming again, but it was nice to be able to knit a few rows. I will eventually get this sock finished even if it kills me :rofl:

Jan in CA
03-10-2007, 08:47 PM
That is so cool that everyone is interested especially other truckers! Maybe you'll start a new trend! :teehee:

Hope your back is getting better!

Knitting_Guy
03-10-2007, 08:49 PM
Thanks Jan. I thought it was pretty cool.

HamaLee
03-10-2007, 09:17 PM
Huzzah!
Yarners of the world unite...and recruit!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Mason, if a few years you'll be able to write a book: REAL Truckers KNIT!!! And have a whole bunch of patterns, like the gear-shifter cozy, and felted drink insulator and arm rest pillows...

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-10-2007, 09:38 PM
OMG and you can totally include a map of, like, all the yarn stops on the "major routes" across the country, and all that... which truck stops/bars are "knit friendly" ... how to use common convenience store items to fix mistakes an/or "enhance" the knitting.

If you do this I want 20% for concept comission. :teehee:

Braden
03-10-2007, 10:18 PM
Cool, hope your back feels better soon!

Knitting_Guy
03-10-2007, 10:37 PM
Hmmm a trucker's knitting book. That might actually not be a bad idea.

Knitting_Guy
03-10-2007, 10:37 PM
Cool, hope your back feels better soon!

Thanks. It really has been a miserable few days but I'm trying to make the best of it.

lauraknits
03-10-2007, 11:46 PM
Mason,

I love your posts! I can always picture the situation when you describe it. I think it's neat that it never seems like a big deal to KIP to you, or those around you (probably because you are so comfortable with it).

Sorry your back is acting up. Hang in there...

:hug:

auburnchick
03-11-2007, 12:57 AM
You know, I'm really impressed as well.

You seem to get less flack from your fellow truckers than I get from my own daughter.

Hope the back feels better soon!

aineepooh1
03-11-2007, 02:30 AM
Mason~!! I :heart: :heart: the idea of a gear shift cozy~!!! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

If you design a pattern let me know~~ I will make on for my brother's truck~!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Maybe hot pink~ or lime green~ or zebra print~!! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Nikita-amimono
03-11-2007, 03:58 AM
OMG and you can totally include a map of, like, all the yarn stops on the "major routes" across the country, and all that... which truck stops/bars are "knit friendly" ... how to use common convenience store items to fix mistakes an/or "enhance" the knitting.

If you do this I want 20% for concept comission. :teehee:

Cool!!

I LOVE YOUR IDEA!! :inlove:

Niki

xxx

Aquaria
03-11-2007, 06:09 AM
That is so cool that everyone is interested especially other truckers! Maybe you'll start a new trend! :teehee:

Hope your back is getting better!

Yeah! Maybe there would be a "Mason's Kintting Club" in the future! :teehee:

I'm sorry that your back is not feeling well Mason :pout: , hope you'll get better soon! :) it's good that you are keeping on going with your socks though lol :rofl: (unlike someone who's knitting progress COMPLETELY slowed down just because of a BOOK! Seriously, a good book can really kill your knitting progress! :oops: )

Knitting_Guy
03-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Thanks folks. I don't have any problem KIP as I don't see knitting as something to be ashamed of. I enjoy it, find it very relaxing, and certainly don't feel like it's something to hide.

You have got me thinking about setting up a website for knitting truckers (with a link to KH of course). I'll file that away under future projects for when I have some time.

zkimom
03-11-2007, 09:06 AM
You have got me thinking about setting up a website for knitting truckers (with a link to KH of course). I'll file that away under future projects for when I have some time.

The book idea is great too -- You could write about your "craft encounters" while on the road and include some patterns.

How cool would that be?

Best,
Susan

Knitting_Guy
03-11-2007, 09:14 AM
Yeah a book is a possibility as well.

Stiney
03-11-2007, 12:08 PM
I'd start out with the website. The book can come later, if there's enough of an audience.

yarnbee
03-11-2007, 12:32 PM
:cheering: Great story. You ought to seriously consider writing that book-- knitting books are HOT!

Sorry about your back. I can certainly sympathize as I suffer from sciatica. Have you tried ice packs? It's better than heat because it stops the spasms.

I'm working on my first pair of socks but haven't reached the scary part yet.
:pray:

Hope you feel better soon!

syndactylus
03-11-2007, 02:31 PM
I missed the part when you hurt your back - it wasn't knitting-related was it???

Hope it's better soon.

zkimom
03-11-2007, 04:17 PM
I missed the part when you hurt your back - it wasn't knitting-related was it???

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

A knitting related back injury! Thems must have been mighty big needles!

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Knitting_Guy
03-11-2007, 04:22 PM

:roflhard:

Abbily
03-11-2007, 09:12 PM
I would definitely buy that book!!

I have a pattern for a hair-bun cover that I think could easily be adapted as a gear-shift cozy! :)

http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/patternFinder.fcgi?craft=Knit&search=Search&searchText=snood