PDA

View Full Version : Went to LYS ~ Was not too impressed~(LONG)

aineepooh1
03-11-2007, 02:09 AM
AFter reading multiple posters experiences of going to their LYS~ both good and bad.. I finally decided I would give it a try.. :pout: My knitting instructor ( the 1st time) :eyebrow: said she loved this particular LYS. So I remembered the name and decided to go today~ :pout:

AFter driving across town with the help of my mother I found the store. On the phone they were friendly and helpful and gave us directions. I walked in the store ~ quite small ~ and there were several ladies knitting. The older lady (one of the workers) and the younger lady (coworker) were both at the table working. The younger lady spoke to me and asked me if I needed help. She was ok... not super-friendly but ok.. She answered my questions about different types of yarn to knit with for summer.. The older lady continued with her lessons ~ she ended up speaking nicely to me later~ :shrug: Anyhoo to make a looooooong story short.. I went to the store for 2 reasons:
1) I had bought yarn online and wanted to ask them to wind it for me( I offered to pay for it to be wound)
2) I wanted to see what was so "nice" about more expensive yarns.

they looked at my yarn I brought and politely told me no. They told me how to wind it on the back of chair... ok :wall: .I had tried several times without much luck ( I fully admit that sometimes I just can't get"it" sometimes :wall: I felt several of the yarns up :eyebrow: and I liked some of them and decided on 4 skeins from the "clearance" bin and 2 skeins from the not-on-sale bin. The younger lady working offered to take my yarn to the back to be wound and I said ok. I was by the door looking at the not-on-sale yarn and i heard the other clerk ( in the backroom) saying " I thought we said we werent' going to wind the clearance yarn". I was a little offended.. I'm sorry I thought if I BOUGHT it in your store.. you would wind it like you do everybody elses~
I then picked up the not on sale yarn and took it to her in the back and said.. you don't have to worry these aren't on sale..
I went up to the front and looked around at the needles and buttons. She came up later and was working on a shawl and it was pretty. I asked her another question and she answered and said your yarn is wound. I said I 'm still looking around ( she seemed :happydance: about that~!)
anyhoo.She tried to show me how to buy some something that I could just weave the yarn through ( suggestive selling I guess) I ended up buying some buttons..
I just kind felt like they were a little snobby and that if I didn't spend X amount of dollars I wasn't good enough for their time.
At the end of it they said ' Please come back"... I 'll think about it.
I asked my mom about it later ( she was there too) and I asked her did she think they were a little snotty.. and she said yes.~! :eyebrow:

I'll just chalk it up to experience.. I will every so often go fondle their yarns, see what I like and buy it online~!!

Thanks for letting me vent
:hug:
Ainee

DianaM
03-11-2007, 02:39 AM
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

My first - and only one so far - experience with an LYS was similar. Really nice store, nice selection (although very pricey).

I made a passing comment about some notions I'd bought online and the manager overheard it. She spent one hour, very loudly pointing out how much of a terrible person I was for buying stuff online. I was a brand new knitter :pout:
Needless to say, I didn't buy a thing and didn't go back to the store.

NakedPancakes
03-11-2007, 08:10 AM
That's sort of how it is at my not so Local Yarn Store. It's like...an hour or so away, and everythings super expensive and theyre all a little uptight and snobby.
So, I only go in there often when I want a certain yarn that I can't buy at Craft stores and such. And I don't buy much. But I agree, I feel like I have to spend a certain amount to be at their standards.
They suck. xD

Deeknit
03-11-2007, 08:47 AM
There are 3 shops in my area and one of them, while they have the biggest selection is probably the most snooty. It is very unfortunately. The other 2 are just oozing with friendliness and commoradarie (sp?). hang in there, see if you can find another.

Where in the South are you ?

Nikki
03-11-2007, 09:00 AM
I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I guess LYS owners and employees are just a cross section of the whole. Most good, some bad and all of us have things we wish we'd have done better.

Vendie
03-11-2007, 09:40 AM

My first - and only one so far - experience with an LYS was similar. Really nice store, nice selection (although very pricey).

I made a passing comment about some notions I'd bought online and the manager overheard it. She spent one hour, very loudly pointing out how much of a terrible person I was for buying stuff online. I was a brand new knitter :pout:

OMG, that is so uncalled for. Who care if you bought notions online. I buy lots of stuff online, but I buy an equal amount in yarn stores too. I actually cannot go into a yarn store without buying something, even if it's just a set of needles. Online stores do not exist to put LYS's out of business, I'm sorry.

Anyway, Ainee, the LYS that I tend to go to, simply b/c it's really close to my office, sometimes has odd attitudes and other times is just really wonderful. Seems to depend on who's working. But don't bother asking for help if you didn't purchase your project materials from them. They will not help you...maybe they will if you sign up for private lessons and pay $$$.

The other LYS that's nearby is wonderful. The last time I went in there, they kept offering me food and were just very friendly and inquisitive about the people coming in - like, "what do you like to knit? what are you working on?" etc. Very nice. Selection isn't fabulous, but I know what they do have, and if I need that, it's my first choice to go there.

So I guess what I'm saying is, keep trying. If there are more stores in your area, try them all out. Unfortunately, you'll probably run into many stores that will not wind yarn that you bring in from the outside. Might be a different story once you build a relationship with them.

Good luck! Don't give up! LYS's can be wonderful places!

stitchwitch
03-11-2007, 10:29 AM
I've always had a fear of that! I hate snobatoriums!
My lys is in another state, when I visit Tennessee there is a wonderful little yarn store attached to a fly fishing store (she owns the yarn store, he owns the fly fishing store). I love that place, the hubby is nice, the wife is a sweetheart and even the fishing guide guy has helped me out with a friendly way and a cheerful attitude. I've even ordered via phone from her and had her ship to me. It's just a small shop, but she has tons of stuff crammed in there and I just love the ambience of it!

bip
03-11-2007, 11:53 AM
What a bummer, I don't know why people have to be like that. I could see if they were REALLY busy, they might not be able to wind your yarn but otherwise come on. It only takes a few minutes and almost no effort. What does it matter if the yarn is on clearance or not? The point of the service is to make you feel good about the place so you'll go back. They are obviously missing the point!

Hopefully you just have a dud in your neighborhood and will have a better time at a different store. I have had good experiences in Boston, Brookline and Western Mass LYSs, and at my mom's LYSs in Portland and Vancouver (WA). In fact, once I was on business in Las Vegas and I left my yarn on the plane there, so when I had some downtime I found a LYS. The woman was so nice, she even GAVE me a cable needle because she had run out of ones for sale.

bip
03-11-2007, 11:54 AM
I've always had a fear of that! I hate snobatoriums!
My lys is in another state, when I visit Tennessee there is a wonderful little yarn store attached to a fly fishing store (she owns the yarn store, he owns the fly fishing store).

This would be a dream for DH and I! Whenever he comes to the yarn store for me, he looks for things that can be used to tie flies, lol!

DianaM
03-11-2007, 11:57 AM

OMG, that is so uncalled for. Who care if you bought notions online. I buy lots of stuff online, but I buy an equal amount in yarn stores too. I actually cannot go into a yarn store without buying something, even if it's just a set of needles. Online stores do not exist to put LYS's out of business, I'm sorry.

:hug: It's one of the reasons I want to have a yarn store someday where people like that would be outlawed :teehee:

nikkibeans
03-11-2007, 12:32 PM
hold the phone......they will wind the yarn for you? I'm fairly new to the whole LYS thing, and don't really feel comfortable aking for anything (my own issues not theirs)

The first time I went into this LYS, the sales girl was helpful. She answered some yardage questions for me, signed me up for their newsletter, and told me that if I had questions about whatever project I was working on, I could bring it in (even if I didn't buy my stuff there). I'm still not quite comfortable there (mostly cause I don't want to look like a dummy) :oo:
But on a plesant note, while I was there yesterday getting my foliage for 50% off, a class was being taught, and the instructor referred to KH! :happydance:

Green Eyed Knitter
03-11-2007, 12:48 PM
I had the same experience at the LYS. I also scrapbook and am used to employees of LSS that are always so friendly and helpful that I was surprised to run into the snobby attitude from the yarn ladies. I was a very beginning knitter and it was so uncomfortable in the shop that I have never been into a LYS since. I do all my shopping online and at Stitches conventions so that I don't have to deal with LYS folks. :oops: I would really like to take some classes to improve my knitting skills, but I can't bring myself to go to another store and I don't know anyone who knits in my area to get recommendations for a friendlier shop. :shrug:

syndactylus
03-11-2007, 12:55 PM
don't feel bad, lots of retail people are just crazy. and I don't know about yarn stores, but at least in other stores it's often caused by all the loons they have to put up with on a daily basis. :zombie:

my best stories:
one time here in Boston I was basically laughed out of the store because they didn't feel like the yarn I asked for was worthy of them, much less me.

and another place they watched me in silence the whole time without ever even having said hello!

somewhere else basically told me not to buy their yarn, I'd only #*%$ it up. :rofl:

the one place here I always know won't be uncomfortable is the one where I can talk to the owner. even there, she has some pretty temperamental employees.

stacy.duval
03-11-2007, 01:03 PM
I visit my LYS fairly frequently, and they are very friendly. It is a medium size shop, and it is crammed full of yarn. They will wind yarn for you if they're not busy, but they usually are, so they'll show you how, get you started, and you can wind it yourself, which is fine with me (even yarn from elsewhere).They also have some spinning equipment, and some weaving equipment. They have a dog that is always in the shop, and she's friendly too. That gives them points in my book, if they're laid back enough to have their dog there.

jeanius80
03-11-2007, 01:22 PM
:hug: that whole experience sucks....

i just went to a LYS about 30 minutes away yesterday.. it was reccpmended by artlady. Renaissance Yarn (http://www.renaissanceyarns.com/) in kent wa. they were very friendly! there was a group of about 7 ladies knitting and one of them was nice enough to let me check out her work to see how a novelty yarn knitted up! The shop employee (not sure if she was the owner?) was very helpful. i asked her to please help us find the non animal fiber yarns (little sister is alergic) and she was more than happy to! needless to say, my little sister had such a hard time picking out just one yarn for her hat, and told me "why do you keep showing me more! they are all so pretty! it's hard to poick one.." LOL if only she was a knitter.......i think she'd have the biggest stash! :roflhard:

anyhow.. good luck! try asking for reccomendations from here..

hummingbird
03-11-2007, 01:35 PM
That's such a bummer. I just checked out a LYS and was disapointed. It looked like the people there had their own group thing but they were nice when I walked in. It was more the selection that disapointed me. I'm just amazed that there is so much yarn that I can't afford. It's really close to where I live too, so I might get some needles or small things there.

kashadilla
03-11-2007, 01:45 PM
If you're having trouble winding balls, check out this article in knitty. My fav is the paper towel roll...I wound my entire stash into nice, neat balls last night. (And wanted to check knittingpatterncentral.com for a pattern for one of my yarns but the website is down again! :!!!: )

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring07/FEATspr07TT.html

nadja la claire
03-11-2007, 01:58 PM
I know how you feel :hug: :hug: :hug:

My 1st LYS experience was pretty bad. 1stly the store was the size of a closet. 2nd, The woman who ran the store was rude and cranky and all she wanted to do was sell me something more and was ever ruder when I wouldn't buy the more expensive yarns that she was trying to push on me (all I bought was some Encore). On top of everything else she tried to bully me into taking classes from her daughter. :grrr: :!!!:

I'm sorry if I hijacked your thread but I'm just trying to say that your experience is just one store. I never went back to that 1st store and since I've been to 3 others and I've found the one that's for me. It's nice and roomy, the staff is very friendly and the prices are great. And they will wind any yarn you may have, they will also let you come in and wind your own yarn. They also give free help to anyone no matter how long you've been shopping at the store.

Finding the right LYS is a lot like dating to find the right man/woman. So don't give up if the 1st one doesn't work out.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

DQ
03-11-2007, 02:52 PM
I've only been to one near my mother in laws...the lady was nice but I felt a little uncomfortable still :oops: And that store is closing and moving further away :wall: There is another one somewhere near me but I don't know whether it'll be worth trying to find it :shrug:

The only other ones I've been into were on holidays. One was the size of a shoebox and the lady seemed a bit wary of me :pout: Maybe because I only wanted the cheap yarn she had outside.

Eloewien
03-11-2007, 03:12 PM
My LYS is wonderful... they're friendly and helpful. I wish it was bigger, only so I could drool more :) It's wonderfully bright with sunlight and has a couple comfy couches for knitting and relaxing. Guess I'm just lucky...

letah75
03-11-2007, 03:32 PM
I feel so lucky after reading some of these posts. My LYS is great. They will wind yarn I bought somewhere else (for $2.00). But hey, saves the hassle.

They are nice, and always willing to help. I've gone in there with a question, been in there for 45 minutes with them helping me, and not bought anything. They were nice as can be.

The LYS by my office I don't like as much, but I think that's just me. The owner is very nice, but thinks everyone is a beginning knitter, and so she explains EVERYTHING to you, "This is called a skein", "This is a ball winder", etc. I know she is being helpful, but it can get a little annoying.

There are to LYS's in my city, one in the city I work, and one twenty minutes away in another city (village, township? it's really small). Anyhooo, they were moving into a bigger building, and I was gonna go by and look. They had yarn all over the floor, and were obviously trying to get set up. But they saw me come by, and invited me in anyway.

They appologized for the mess, but told me to touch and feel, ask any questions, and said if I wanted to buy anything to let them know and they would find it.

All in all I've had good experiences. Ohh, I'm so lucky. Keep looking for a good LYS, when you find one it'll feel like you came home. :teehee:

Braden
03-11-2007, 05:24 PM
In my experience, chain yarn shops seem to be ruder than individual ones.

Silver
03-11-2007, 05:46 PM
I feel bad for snobby yarn shop owners. They lose more business that way than they'll ever realize.

I had a snobby experience at one of my LYSs one time. Actually it was just one of the employees. I was admiring some very fuzzy kid mohair and was asking the girl about it. She looked at me square in the eye and said

"You know, you can't frog this stuff," in a very condescending tone I might add.

I just looked at her and said "Thank you, but I won't be frogging anything."

I went back a month or so later, and she was gone. Haven't seen her since. :)

Braden
03-11-2007, 05:52 PM
I thought Yarn Stores were supposed to be helpful, not condescending. :shrug:

carmabelle1191
03-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Yarn stores should be open and friendly places! :hug: There's no reason to be mean to fellow knitters! My LYS is very friendly and is always very willing to help me out, especially so with a woman named phylis! She once helped me with the heel and gusset of my sock. And they should be able to wind up your ball of yarn for free. Sometimes I'll even roll up the ball at my LYS after they put it on the machine since it's on the table outside. But the yarn store in my town, actually, is very snooty, or so I've been told, since I've never been there before. But just a little word of encouragement to all those LYS haters just because of a bad experience! :heart:

bip
03-11-2007, 11:47 PM
Finding the right LYS is a lot like dating to find the right man/woman.

Nadja xxx

If that's true, I'm a huge floozy! When it comes to yarn stores, I have really been around, lol.

PCwombat
03-11-2007, 11:54 PM
That's a shame about your first visit. I've been to three yarn shops, and the first time I go I always feel sort of awkward. Especially when you see a group of people sitting around knitting and chatting. I feel as if I'm intruding. But, fortunately, my experiences have been good. I love the LYS by my college. It's a somewhat small store, but the owner recognizes me now, which is nice.

aineepooh1
03-12-2007, 12:37 AM
Well.. Thanks you all for your input on my posting.. :muah:

Like I said. I have read enough posts on KH now that I know that going to the LYS is like ".. a box of chocolates... you never know what your going to get."" :eyebrow: SSoo.. I just will take it in stride and as I said earlier.. chalk it up the experience. I am taking a mini-vacation in a month and I am going to check out if they have any LYS there.. I have been to this area before and they are very friendly. I never looked for a yarn store there before ( because I wasn't knitting :teehee: ).. but Maybe I can find a nice friendly yarn store out of my state...

If I like them and they are nice to me.. mabye I can save my $$$ and spend it there instead of my LYS here.. I betcha they'll like my $$$$ there too~!! :eyebrow:

Ainee

Sungirl
03-12-2007, 01:39 AM
I'm lucky to have two LYS in my city. As a very new/novice knitter I was apprehensive about going in, but I have to say that the owner of the first store couldn't have been nicer :happydance: The second store's clerk was also very friendly and I think the store had a better selection. The first store however just has this great vibe, like it's somewhere you could sit and hang out all day.

Eloewien
03-12-2007, 02:14 AM
I love that my LYS is two doors down from starbucks and doesn't mind if you have a chai latte in hand while knitting. :)

melissa.atkins
03-12-2007, 02:39 AM
Im sorry you had a bad experience... that is one of the reasons I dont go to specialty stores... I think people who work/own those places think that if you are interested on their specialty you can only do it if you know everything about it or you are willing to spend as much as they want you to.

I buy most of my yarn at retail craft stores... mostly because what I knit are baby clothes and scarves, so what I use all the time is acrylic or cotton. As far as buying online... I have only ordered from Knitpicks so far and I love it...

I hope next time you decide to go to a LYS store they are nicer... ;)

Knitting_Guy
03-12-2007, 08:46 AM
We don't have a LYS in the town where I live so I have yet to visit one. Maybe that's a good thing as I have a very low tolerance level for snotty or rude retail people.

mwedzi
03-12-2007, 10:34 AM
I was admiring some very fuzzy kid mohair and was asking the girl about it. She looked at me square in the eye and said

"You know, you can't frog this stuff," in a very condescending tone I might add.

Um, if it's so terrible, why are they selling it?

Finding the right LYS is a lot like dating to find the right man/woman.

Nadja xxx

If that's true, I'm a huge floozy! When it comes to yarn stores, I have really been around, lol.

Man, I *wish* finding a great person to date was as easy as finding a great LYS. :note: What a wonderful world this would be . . .

cookworm
03-12-2007, 03:35 PM
But don't bother asking for help if you didn't purchase your project materials from them. They will not help you...maybe they will if you sign up for private lessons and pay $$$.

Why is this??? Okay, store owners need to make a living--I got that. They can't give everything away for free. but it's GOOD customer service to help with a project here or there, ESPECIALLY if the store is empty (you can't expect store clerks to drop everything with other customers to help with a project...that would be totally unfair). And if you're willing to pay for yarn to be wound that you didn't purchase there, why can't they do that? Come on--LYS' don't carry every single product in their store, so if you have to buy it somewhere else (especially if it's something they don't carry), that's just how it is. If you get friendly customer service and help with a project, employees should realize that you WILL become a repeat customer; chances are, you'll spend more "up to their standards" down the road, too. Sorry, I'm on a budget, and I can't spend $200 every time I walk into a LYS. I'm a SAHM and I just can't justify the expense, so if I only spend $20 or so each visit, my money is just as good as everybody else's...there's just less of it. :teehee:

My not-so-local LYS is in a college town, and the day that I went there, they had a big football game--the town was deserted, and nobody was in the store (and it looked like there wouldn't be anybody for a while). (Both of my not-so-local LYS' are VERY small with a disappointing selection). Anyway, she turned her nose up at me when I asked her if she could please wind some laceweight yarn for me (440 yards, not like 1,000 or anything)--I would've gladly paid for it, and geez, it's not like the store was buzzing with customers or anything at that point. She wasn't very helpful when I was looking for some yarn--when I called and asked if they had a certain type of bulky yarn, somebody told me they did, but lo and behold when I went there, it wasn't the same as I needed for my project, so it was a basic waste of time to go there.

Sorry for ranting. I've only had one LYS in the places I've been to give friendly and helpful service, and I'm bugged about that. I've got a bad taste in my mouth about LYS and it would take an out-of-this-world, extraordinary, exceptional customer service team to change my mind. I've basically written off LYS basically as cliquey boutiques and I try to avoid them like the plague after being ignored or treated poorly in the past. I think I'll stick with Michael's, Hobby Lobby, or Joann's, thank you very much. I won't get an attitude there for spending under $200 every time I go, and the clerks won't look down on their noses at me for the yarn I'm buying because it's <gasp> acrylic and <gasp> under $20 a skein.