PDA

View Full Version : Cones of yarn

mugs
03-11-2007, 04:07 PM
Can you knit right off a cone or do you need to break it up into center pull balls or skeins. What is the best way to do this? I have a 4 oz ball winder and a swift coming. Just not sure how this works. I have a friend that wants a sweater out of organic cotton and we found a good deal for some that only comes in 1lb cones never worked with a cone before. Any help is appreciated

Ellieblue
03-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Hi margaret, Since I am the laziest knitter in the world, I can't see any need to undo the cones. I do my crochet right off a cone and have no problems except sometimes it tips over and rolls across the floor. So now I put it into a box and it works fine. :star:

Braden
03-11-2007, 04:37 PM
I just knit right off the cone, and have not problem

Stiney
03-11-2007, 04:49 PM
I've never used a cone, but I would knit right off it...why break the yarn when you don't have to?

Calamintha
03-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Part of the beauty of knitting from a cone is that you can stick it on the floor and knit right off of it. I would not recommend winding it into balls if you don't have to.

One thing you can run across though is that some coned yarns are produced primarily for machine knitting in which case they may have what is called sizing oil on them. Most of the time you can just go ahead and knit with it and the sizing oil washes out when you wash it for blocking. However, I onced ordered some coned yarns from Webs that had so much sizing oil on them it was impossible to knit with them. The yarn was too stiff. In that case, the yarn would have to be unwound and washed first.

Krautie
03-11-2007, 04:59 PM
I often buy cones because this yarn is much cheaper than skeins :wink:

You can work right off the cones. But if you have big cones it is sometimes more comfortable to wind some skeins.......for big cones you need a big bag if you like to knit somewhere else than at home :D

Is it a one-thread yarn? If not: try to give the yarn always a little bit tension between the cone and your work so you can avoid annoying loops :wink:

mugs
03-11-2007, 06:01 PM
great advice. I guess I will ask if it has sizing oil on it. I was buying a cone for the cost savings too. Organic cotton can be expensive in skeins and I needed like 1200 yards for the two projects I am doing for a friend.

Knitting_Guy
03-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Yarn comes in cones??? :oo:

madametj
03-11-2007, 06:48 PM

:shrug: i didnt know that either :teehee:

Krautie
03-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Why should it not come in (on? at?) cones (http://images.google.de/images?hl=de&q=yarn+cone&gbv=2)?

Or that was a joke I can't understand? :wall:

I have to improve my English or I will perish here, I'm afraid :roll: :D [/url]

Stiney
03-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Why should it not come in (on? at?) cones (http://images.google.de/images?hl=de&q=yarn+cone&gbv=2)?

Or that was a joke I can't understand? :wall:

I have to improve my English or I will perish here, I'm afraid :roll: :D [/url]

In or on. :thumbsup:

You're not the only non-native speaker, and prepositions are very tricky. And the best way to improve your English is to use it. I think you're doing great! :hug:

Mason and TJ, yeah, the only place I've seen it at cones were actually in JoAnn's. It was near the Sugar'n'Cream/Peaches'n'Cream, but up on a top shelf. Which only helps you if all Joann's follow the same planogram for their yarn displays. :teehee: Some of the crochet thread comes in cones, too, I think.

I really want to make something with big needles and crochet thread at some point.

suzeeq
03-11-2007, 07:32 PM

Next time you cruise by Wally World or Hobby Lobby, check out the kitchen cotton on cones. Not sure if Joann's or Michaels carry them that way. And on the WEBS site, yarn.com, you can order certain yarns in cones. They may not be nice and soft, but yeah, lotsa yarns come on cones.

sue

Krautie
03-11-2007, 07:53 PM
In or on. :thumbsup:

You're not the only non-native speaker, and prepositions are very tricky. And the best way to improve your English is to use it. I think you're doing great! :hug:

Thanks a lot :D

In or on, ok.....but I had voted for "at" :?? :D

Yes, I will use it and use it and use it - and I hope this community will not be too annoyed :wink:

Here in Germany you can buy yarn on (or in *g*) cones very often. It's pretty normal.

Stiney
03-11-2007, 08:06 PM
"At" is pretty much only used for places or times. "at 5 o'clock," or "at the store."

I can't think of any other time you'd use at.

Oh wait, "I was driving at 55 miles an hour."

madametj
03-11-2007, 08:12 PM
"I was driving at 55 miles an hour."

sure 55 mph......yeah RIGHT :roll:

:teehee:

Stiney
03-11-2007, 08:16 PM
"I was driving at 55 miles an hour."

sure 55 mph......yeah RIGHT :roll:

:teehee:

Well, I didn't say what speed limit was posted. :rofl:

Krautie
03-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Thanks, cawthraven!
It's really difficult for me :?? :wall:

In Germany it's time for going to bed now - and at least I can do this (or that? No, I don't want to know *ggg*) without any uncertainties :wink: :D

Stiney
03-11-2007, 08:22 PM
Thanks, cawthraven!
It's really difficult for me :?? :wall:

In Germany it's time for going to bed now - and at least I can do this (or that? No, I don't want to know *ggg*) without any uncertainties :wink: :D

This! You were right. :thumbsup:

Anytime you have any questions, I'm more than willing to help.

Abbily
03-11-2007, 08:57 PM
I ordered a couple of cones of peaches & cream yarn- not knowing that it was mainly washcloth/dishcloth yarn. Not the softest thing for sweaters, but it would be great for washcloths/dishclothes, if only I made those!!

If anyone's interested.... I suppose I should post that on the buy/swap board. :)

genden69
03-11-2007, 09:47 PM
Check out the cone yarn on www.colourmart.com.

aineepooh1
03-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Could you use it to make a bag with?? I think the idea of a multi-purpose yarn for craft projects ( not neessarily wearable objects) is a great idea to have a big ol' cone on hand for whenever you decide to get crafty~!!

suzeeq
03-11-2007, 10:06 PM
You can also use it for childrens clothing and baby blankets. It softens up a lot the more it's washed and dried. I made a sleevels top too, and it's nice to wear.

sue

Abbily
03-12-2007, 12:08 AM
Sue, thanks for telling me it softens up with washing! I'm actually making a shawl with it right now (because I'm a new knitter and figured practicing on cheap yarn is a good idea) so it's nice to know it won't always be so rough!

Carey

suzeeq
03-12-2007, 01:19 AM
It may stretch out a little while wearing, my top does (and its sleeveless d'oh!), but washing it puts it back in shape.

sue

DQ
03-12-2007, 10:48 AM
I saw a cone of yarn yesterday but I didn't take a closer look because I wasn't sure if it was ok for hand knitting :oops: Ah well! :doh:

Calamintha
03-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Halcyon Yarn has some yarns on cones;

http://www.halcyonyarn.com/yarn_weight.html

Usually they are 1 lb cones so you are getting a good bit of yarn. Another nice thing is you don't have to keep joining. Some of the Brown Sheep yarns come on cones also.

mugs
03-12-2007, 01:35 PM
I ordered BFL and Treliske on cones from coop so I got a good deal. I was toying with skeining my own so I could dye my own colorways.

Now my friend wants a sweater and pants for her little boy and the organic cotton was just way pricey by the skein to get the yardage needed so when I found it in "bulk" on cones I thought what a great deal! It is going to save here about $30.00

Tonid1980
03-12-2007, 01:43 PM
I got some big cones from a great ebay store :).. Lambs Pride...

cones.... makes me think of pauly shore :teehee: