PDA

View Full Version : Yarn Swap

Emeraldcutie
03-12-2007, 09:29 AM
I was wondering , since it has been a few months since the big 2 month yarn swap last summer, and I have almost used all my goodies from my partner.

Does anyone want to do this again now that Christmas is long gone???

Just a thought. :happydance:

wildforyarn
03-12-2007, 10:19 AM
I would love to! I had a lot of fun with the last one!

horve1
03-12-2007, 11:49 AM
If we do it, I'm definitely in. I got the best gift in the world last time around - Becka's friendship!

lucky_alf2
03-12-2007, 11:54 AM
I'm a newbie -- what's involved in a yarn swap? Thanks for the info!

Jan in CA
03-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Or you could just go buy some yarn that you know you'll love. :teehee:

Emeraldcutie
03-12-2007, 10:20 PM
I am horrible at picking out my own yarn, Sara Jayne picked out stuff I would have never gotten and I totally loved it :)

letah75
03-12-2007, 10:50 PM
What is this? If it's what I think it is I'm in.

Cristy
03-12-2007, 11:30 PM
I had fun last time...I might just have to participate again...

nonny2t
03-13-2007, 07:20 AM
fill us clueless on what this involves and if I like it, I am in too!

Faye

Chel
03-13-2007, 08:57 AM
:happydance: :cheering: :muah: I'm in....

DoulaLyndsey
03-13-2007, 09:25 AM
I've never participated in a yarn swap, but I've wanted to. I'm interested! What's involved?

sara_jayne
03-13-2007, 09:32 AM
Last summer Brendajos organized a yarn swap for the board (in the KAL section).

We each had a "secert" partner that was chosen for us, based on price categories, or how much we were willing to spend on a partner.

In June & July (I think) we all sent a package to our swap partner full of yarn (within the price brackets) and goodies that we thought they'd enjoy. There was a questionaire before hand about color preferences and fiber preferences. That swap had 2 packages sent out.

It was a great way to get to know people, spoil people, and, as Laura said, discover some yarn that perhaps we'd never have considered for ourselves.

It was a ton of fun!

Debbie
03-13-2007, 09:34 AM
ME! ME! ME! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
The last swap was SO MUCH FUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kristinw
03-13-2007, 10:10 AM
I was hoping we could do this again!! I am in if we do!! :cheering: :cheering:

HollyP
03-13-2007, 11:19 AM
I'm in !! I loved the last swap.

CarmenIbanez
03-13-2007, 11:51 AM
I'm totally in!

kblue
03-13-2007, 12:02 PM
So this is kind of like a Secret Knitter (secret santa) ?? Is it that each person is giving to someone else or are we paired up and we exchange with that person we're paired up with :?? ? I've never done a yarn swap before so i'm a little nervous (in a good way :aww: ) But i would LOVE to join. OoOooOoOo my first yarn swap ever :woot: :yay:

sara_jayne
03-13-2007, 12:04 PM
Last time the swap was done we were not paired up, we each had some one different to swap with and it was "secert" - we didn't reveal ourselves until the last pacakge.

nonny2t
03-13-2007, 12:08 PM
I'm definitely in when you organize it so let us know!

Sanibelle
03-13-2007, 12:09 PM
This sounds great... count me in too!

Lynn

KathyinCali
03-13-2007, 12:13 PM
I would love to participate! Count me in :)

Kaydee
03-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Sound fun...I'm in!!!

letah75
03-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Yuppers, I'm in for sure.

mare-nitt
03-13-2007, 04:25 PM
I would like to do this. Are there any rules about new members joining in?

I have fallen in love with yarn! :heart:

Marilynn

psammeadred
03-13-2007, 04:44 PM
Sign me up too!

sara_jayne
03-13-2007, 04:44 PM
Last time there were no rules about new members joining - any one was welcome!

Who knows when the next one will start! Brenda has been "avoding" the topic! (j/k Bren! :hug: )

Andrea
03-13-2007, 04:47 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: SJ!

brendajos
03-13-2007, 04:48 PM
:hiding:

kblue
03-13-2007, 04:49 PM
Oh ya what are the rules if any? what the budget?

Andrea
:roflhard: But you were so GOOD at it!!!!

DQ
:hiding:

Ooh cute smilie!

What were the price brackets last time?

lissalue
03-13-2007, 04:52 PM
i may be in depending on our money situation at the time.

Arielluria
I'm a newbie and clueless myself :shrug: But if I can, I'm in! :eyebrow:

dustinac
:hiding: :rofl: :roflhard: :rofl:

sara_jayne
03-13-2007, 04:53 PM
Here are the "basics" from when the fabulous Brendajos did it last time. You really did do a great job, Bren but I know what I huge project it was so I don't blame you for "hiding"! :heart:

Again, this is from the LAST ONE! Do not send e-mails or anything - this has NOT been set up yet!!!

Welcome to the first EVAH KnittingHelp.com Super Yarn Swap! We are hoping that this will be a fun experience for everybody. We are going to try to have as few rules as possible in order to have as much fun as possible. Sign up deadline is --- ---- will send out the swap names by -----.

We will assign you to someone in the same price range you have selected. You can buy as many skeins of yarn as you would like to get to your price range, though consider whether you would want 20 skeins of Sugar n Cream before you send that to someone else! :D

We will swap for 2 months,----and ----. In ---- we will do a KAL with any of the yarn you received and share it on the KAL Forum. You are not required to send your finished object to your swap pal so please do not be hurt if you send one out and someone doesn’t send one to you.

Please be prepared to have your swap package mailed out by the 17th of both months. This will give plenty of time for your package to arrive and hopefully assure that nobody is waiting until the end of the month to get their package. Be aware that if you are shipping internationally, it will take extra time for your package to arrive!

When you get your name, please get in contact with your swap pal to let them know that you have their name. Remember this is a secret exchange so use a secret e-mail address! Keep in contact with them as best you can. We all know that life happens but don’t let your partner think you forgot about them!

PLEASE!!! If you do not hear from your secret pal or do not receive your yarn please contact us at ----. We ask that you do NOT post it on the KH forums in any way. We have a happy environment and would like to keep it that way. We never know when life is going to get in the way of fun like this and we do not want to shame or offend anybody. Equally, if you find that you are not able to continue with the swap, please let us know. We want to be able to get your partners taken care of as soon as possible.

Above all...HAVE FUN! Share the fun on the KAL. Take pictures of your new goodies and share them with the group!

Now…let the fun begin…Copy and paste the questionnaire below into an e-mail and send it to -----. PLEASE do not forget to include your KH Screen name so your swap pal will know who they are gifting!

[color=orange]1. Your name (first name, last name, KH Screen name):
2. Your primary e-mail address:
3. Your anonymous e-mail address to be used to communicate to your Secret Pal:
4. Your mailing address:
5. Your blog/website:
6. Which price range would you prefer to be in (this is the monthly amount)? ($5? $10? $15? $20+)
7. Do you prefer to send only to a pal who is either in the same country as you are?
8. Are you a spinner and prefer to be assigned to another spinner
9. Are you allergic or adverse to any types of yarns?
10. Any colors you prefer?
11. Any preferred fibers?
12. Is your home smoke/pet-free?
13. Do you have any allergies to pets or smoke?
14. Anything that you would like your swap pal to know about you? (other hobbies, interests, etc)
15. Please indicate if you are willing to be a Secret Pal Ambassador and jump in as a replacement to delinquent Pals if called upon.

I'd organize it if life weren't so crappy right now - maybe by April I'll be ready but that depends on when my in-laws will be visiting :roll:

ETA: Took out all date, e-mail & contact information since this is from THE LAST swap.

Arielluria
03-13-2007, 05:01 PM
OK....newbie question. How do you know that the yarn you get and receive will be enough to complete the KA? You might buy just 1 small skein for $10 at the LYS or several at Walmart?
:pout:

rebecca
03-13-2007, 05:02 PM
If we do it, I'm definitely in. I got the best gift in the world last time around - Becka's friendship!

How sweet are you :muah: I must agree with Amy (horve1), we have become the greatest of friends as a result of the swap :cheering:

I'm in.....
LOL, what's with the red lettering SJ?! You don't wanna run it or something :roflhard: :rofl: I must say, whomever takes over will have a tough act to follow because Bren & Sandra did a MOST EXCELLENT job :notworthy: :cheering: :notworthy:

sara_jayne
03-13-2007, 05:04 PM
There was not an assigned Knit-Along (KA) "object" for it. It was a very very general KA, we knit what ever we want with the yarn we received. Some people also included a pattern for the yarn they were sending to help their pal decide what to use the yarn for. Or, the yarn went in our stash until we were ready to use it (I still have some of my yarn from the swap).

Andrea
03-13-2007, 05:04 PM
You know, I may be interested in running it...But it would have to be after the Sgts exam in mid-April...

Can we wait that long?

sara_jayne
03-13-2007, 05:05 PM
LOL, what's with the red lettering SJ?! You don't wanna run it or something :roflhard: :rofl: I must say, whomever takes over will have a tough act to follow because Bren & Sandra did a MOST EXCELLENT job :notworthy: :cheering: :notworthy:

You missed the section at the bottom :teehee: I'd be happy to do it, but I just can't right now. I didn't want people to think they were singing up now and being dissapointed!

Thinking about you Becka! :hug: :heart: :hug:

Arielluria
03-13-2007, 05:06 PM
Now that was a copy from the LAST swap right? So is August still the deadline?????

brendajos
03-13-2007, 05:06 PM
You know, I may be interested in running it...But it would have to be after the Sgts exam in mid-April...

Can we wait that long?

:roflhard: :rofl: :roflhard: :rofl: :roflhard: seems like it could wait when these people already have this up to FOUR pages of posts and they are only just discussing whether they might be interested! :roflhard: :rofl: :roflhard: :rofl: :roflhard:

sara_jayne
03-13-2007, 05:07 PM
Now that was a copy from the LAST swap right? So is August still the deadline?????

Absolutley NOTHING has been planned yet!!!!! There is no organizer or deadlines or anything yet!!

People were just asking so many questions that I felt it best to post details from the last one so people could see what went on.

Andrea
03-13-2007, 05:08 PM
:teehee:

I think it'd be fun to do again :shrug: And from the things are looking in my life, I may have some time to kill...

Arielluria
03-13-2007, 05:08 PM
There was not an assigned Knit-Along (KA) "object" for it. It was a very very general KA, we knit what ever we want with the yarn we received. Some people also included a pattern for the yarn they were sending to help their pal decide what to use the yarn for. Or, the yarn went in our stash until we were ready to use it (I still have some of my yarn from the swap).OK, so you knit what you want, but in the color and type of yarn THEY want, right?!?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm totally new at this, and I also need to know if I have enough time to do it before I join.

sara_jayne
03-13-2007, 05:10 PM
There was not an assigned Knit-Along (KA) "object" for it. It was a very very general KA, we knit what ever we want with the yarn we received. Some people also included a pattern for the yarn they were sending to help their pal decide what to use the yarn for. Or, the yarn went in our stash until we were ready to use it (I still have some of my yarn from the swap).OK, so you knit what you want, but in the color and type of yarn THEY want, right?!?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm totally new at this, and I also need to know if I have enough time to do it before I join.

No problem with all the questions.

The thing is that you have to knit NOTHING.

You actually just BUY the yarn and send it to your pal, it is up to them to do the knitting. You will recieve yarn from your pal that you can knit whenever you want......no deadlines other than when packages had to be mailed so we could plan shopping trips! :happydance:

Andrea
03-13-2007, 05:12 PM
It's ok...don't worry.

And there is no KA if you don't want to...Your person gets you something based on what YOUR questionnaire indicated. What you want to make with it is YOUR decision.

For example, my pal got me some gorgeous Debbie Bliss yarn for a sweater I'd been yapping about wanting to make...now, I haven't started that yet (but SHOULD, it's 60 degrees and would be PERFECT for this weather!!)!

I think calling it a KA would be a misnomer, but I do believe some people made stuff with the yarn they got and sent it to their pal as a "thank you" :shrug: You don't have to do anything if you don't want to!

kblue
03-13-2007, 05:18 PM
So how many swaps were there?
6. Which price range would you prefer to be in (this is the monthly amount)? ($5? $10? $15? $20+)
I wasn't in the last swap so thats why i'm asking :oops: . Did you guys swap once a month for 2 months? Why don't we just do 1 swap with 1 price range?

TeenKnitter
03-13-2007, 05:19 PM
I'm in!

Arielluria
03-13-2007, 05:20 PM

You actually just BUY the yarn and send it to your pal, it is up to them to do the knitting. You will recieve yarn from your pal that you can knit whenever you want......no deadlines other than when packages had to be mailed so we could plan shopping trips! :happydance:Heck, I'm IN then! Sending it now!

Thanks for answering all my questions. :muah:

brendajos
03-13-2007, 05:20 PM
I will answer that one (while still trying to :hiding: )

We did the different price ranges based on what people were comfortable with swapping. If we had made it a $20 swap not everybody who wanted to play would have been able to. :heart:

brendajos
03-13-2007, 05:21 PM

You actually just BUY the yarn and send it to your pal, it is up to them to do the knitting. You will recieve yarn from your pal that you can knit whenever you want......no deadlines other than when packages had to be mailed so we could plan shopping trips! :happydance:Heck, I'm IN then! Sending it now!

Thanks for answering all my questions. :muah:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAIT! lol! Don't send anything! That e-mail is currently unmoderated (i know because only two of us have the password and i am pretty sure neither of us are using it!) There is no swap yet! DON'T SEND E-MAILS!!! :rofl: :roflhard: :rofl:

pandaca
03-13-2007, 06:59 PM
I'm in! I don't post much, but I definitely want to participate. Will I get a PM when the SA (swap along?) starts?

madametj
03-13-2007, 07:13 PM
hmm, i guess i just dont know if i'm in. :shrug: i've never done this b4 and it doenst even look like u guys are sure if u'll do it at all. :teehee:

Andrea
03-13-2007, 07:23 PM
Everyone just calm down...this isn't happening YET!!

When the time is right, everyone will have the opportunity to join in!

mks22300
03-13-2007, 08:34 PM
I had fun the last time and would most definitely like to participate again if we do another. :D

Chel
03-13-2007, 08:52 PM
:tap: ..... :verysad: :pout: :pray:

So I'm impatient. :shrug:

MoniDew
03-13-2007, 09:58 PM
I would like to participate, as well. Let me know when we are ready.
________
NO2 VAPORIZER REVIEWS (http://no2vaporizer.net)

heykaren
03-14-2007, 09:54 AM
I´m a newbie, but might want to give it a try. I¨ll keep an eye out for any further posts.

I´m international, would that be a problem? Karen

sara_jayne
03-14-2007, 10:02 AM
No problem with international at all - there was a question on the sheet last time about willingness to ship international!

Arielluria
03-14-2007, 10:13 AM
Everyone just calm down...this isn't happening YET!!LOL........that's what happens when you're addicted to knitting/yarn! We are all salivating at the thought of buying/trading/knitting. :cheering: :roflhard:

Lieke
03-14-2007, 10:39 AM
this sounds like a lot of fun (and a way to get yarn that's not available here in the Netherlands)

I'm not really good in organizing thing, but if there's nobody willing to organize this, I might give it a try (but that'll take a few months, I've got some study-deadlines)

Compulsive
03-14-2007, 11:18 AM
Count me in! I love buying yummy yarn, and secret pal trades--talk about blissful!

cathoo
03-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Well, if everyone else is doing it.... :happydance:

Eloewien
03-14-2007, 01:23 PM
Sounds like lots of fun :) I'm in!

syndactylus
03-14-2007, 07:27 PM
is it supposed to be super special yarn no one else can get?
or just yarn we like?
there isn't anything that unique near me... ?

jjminarcik
03-14-2007, 07:51 PM
:cheering:

I would like to participate whenever this is up and running. I've never done this before, but if it waits a bit (til June?) I wouldn't mind helping with the organization.

kblue
03-14-2007, 08:53 PM
I've organized Secret Santa exchanges before and it sounds like this is basicly the same thing but with more people. I don't mind organizing it if you guys want.

letah75
03-14-2007, 09:05 PM
I think Kblue is my new best friend! :teehee: :hug:

kblue
03-14-2007, 09:17 PM
:aww:

Ginger0104
03-14-2007, 10:53 PM
I know I'm still very new, but I would love to participate! This sounds like a lot of fun :cheering:

Lieke
03-15-2007, 03:22 AM
I think Kblue is my new best friend! :teehee: :hug:

I think I agree with that :teehee:

DQ
03-15-2007, 06:30 AM
I think it's a great idea but I'll have to wait and see how my budget is when/if this happens.

nonny2t
03-15-2007, 08:04 AM
May I make a few suggestions here? First off, I think whomever decides to take this on to organize needs TIME! I wouldn't even think of really doing the swap itself until at least June or July! I mean, there are a ton of ladies wanting to do this and coordinating it will be a massive effort even if there are several ladies involved in the coordination of it all. Secondly, I would imagine there are ladies on budgets that would like to do this and need time to have the money available. Thirdly, I think there are still ??? about projects how it is done, etc. If I understand it right, and you ladies who did it last time correct me if I am wrong, This is basically how it goes:

There are certain top end $$ amounts ie, 10$, 415, $20+ etc set up to choose from, for example, $10. Let's go with just that one amount for use as an example. We will all be given an information sheet similar to what was posted to "guide" our partner in what our likes and dislikes, allergies etc all are. When the coordinators have everyone's information sheet and $$ amount request, they will then match up partners. We will be given a "partner" who also wishes to only spend up to the $10 amount in this example case. The ladies who signed up that they want to spend no more than a total of $10 buy yarn and supplies if they wish up to that amount. In the meantime, using an email address that is unknown to the partner, they basically make friends with their partner though never letting the partner know who she is. When it is time, they then mail out their packages to their partner also revealing who they are etc. Now as for the project part. If I understand it, this is basically just a yarn swap and if you decide on something specific you want to make with the yarn you are given then share what you made with your partner in the form of emailed pics or whatever and if you wish, send her the pattern for what you knitted. BUT, this is not part of the swap as such, it is up to you if you want to go farther than just swapping and actually do a project with it at the time of the swap. Now, I am hoping I am correct with all this and if I am maybe cleared up some confusion that seems to be running amok here! :roflhard:

I can see it as great fun and look forward to participating!

Faye

kristinw
03-15-2007, 08:10 AM
I've organized Secret Santa exchanges before and it sounds like this is basicly the same thing but with more people. I don't mind organizing it if you guys want.

I would definitely help organize!

People have so many questions and it isn't even real yet. I suggest going to the original thread in KAL forum. You should be able to find it fairly easily. The questionnaire said it all basically. Whoever you were picked said what colors and fibers they liked and what price point. So we swapped in June and July based on the questionnaire. If they said $20, we spent $20 each month.

kristinw
03-15-2007, 08:16 AM
Faye - you pretty much nailed it! Just keep in mind the 2 months. So it would be $10 one month and $10 the next month - not combined. And you could definitely end with the swap. No sharing patterns or projects required.

nonny2t
03-15-2007, 10:03 AM
Oops, I forgot that part about the 2 months! :shrug: Sorry!

kblue
03-15-2007, 02:18 PM
Ok so i'm ready to start the yarn swap (if no one esle has already started it) I just wanted to ask how many swaps everyone wanted to do. :?? I think in the last yarn swap they swaped once in June and once in July and they revealed in August. Humm maybe i should do a poll. but you can post your preference in the mean time.

letah75
03-15-2007, 02:43 PM
I wasn't involved in the yarn swap last time, but I'm good with two times.

I think since the rules were laid out last time, it might be easier to go with what has already been laid out. Just my opinion.

I think that would involve slightly less work on your part.

kblue
03-15-2007, 03:06 PM
ok i posted a yarn swap poll. Whatever you guys decide is fine with me its really no work/trouble at all...really it isn't. :happydance:

rebecca
03-15-2007, 06:49 PM
I must agree, Letah, the girls worked hard and did an excellent job with the swap and the rules for last year's swap were perfect...easily understood, everything :muah: Thanks again Bren and Sandra :muah:

kristinw
03-15-2007, 08:11 PM
I must agree, Letah, the girls worked hard and did an excellent job with the swap and the rules for last year's swap were perfect...easily understood, everything :muah: Thanks again Bren and Sandra :muah:

I will third this. It really should be exactly the same. It went so smoothly and everyone was happy! (I think!)

nonny2t
03-15-2007, 08:13 PM
I think the last one's rules etc sounded great and you should just go with what worked! It will help you out also. Faye

ChrissyB
03-15-2007, 08:47 PM
Hi, I usually just lurke, but love KH and would love to yarn swap!! What if a couple of different people organized. Have one person for each price range, say one for anyone who is $10, one for anyone who is $20, etc for as many as you want to do. I would be willing to do one price range if anyone else thinks that would work. Hope this all works out, I love getting yarn, and surpises! :cheering:

kristinw
03-15-2007, 08:49 PM
Chrissy - totally OT, but I see you are in NH!! Me too! :cheering: Are you ready for the snow??

misha rf
03-15-2007, 08:51 PM
Me too! I'd like in! Sounds like fun! :happydance: :cheering:

brendajos
03-15-2007, 09:09 PM
Okay I will share this outloud for whomever decides to organize this one.

If I were organizing it again, the one thing I would do differently is that it would be for one month only this time around. The first month went off without any hitches at all that I can recall. It was in the second month that we had trouble. We had a few people who disappeared (and as far as I know they have never come back here again unless they changed names) and some who were verrrrrrrrrrry slow in getting their packages out... to the point of being more than a month late.

It was a very small number and for the most part everybody was wonderful and terribly generous and had a good time. If I did it again I would save myself the frustration of the second month and just do a one month swap and then maybe do another swap a few months later instead.

scarlettbegonias1
03-16-2007, 01:03 AM
I would love to do this!! :happydance: I haven't posted very much and am still a new knitter, but as far as I can tell, that is ok right??

kblue
03-16-2007, 05:34 AM
Although Brenda suggested, based on her experience with the last swap, that we should do this for 1 month (1 swap), I checked the Yarn Swap Poll and it looks like we might be swaping for 2 months. I'll wait till the end of today (Friday) to see what you all want...i'm here to please :notworthy: ...or at least i'm trying :teehee:

So PLEASE cast your votes: http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28604

:star: Monday, March 19, 2006 I will be posting the SECRET KNITTERS SIGN UP :star:

ChrissyB
03-16-2007, 09:43 PM
Kriste- also OT, but no, not ready for the snow! I was just enjoying the warm weather. My 2 yo would rather be out than in, and what makes him happy makes me happy, :teehee:

Back on topic, can't wait for the swap!! Kblue, if you need any help let me know!

kblue
03-17-2007, 05:27 AM
So by majority vote we will be doing 1 month/1 swap. I'll let you guys know if i start to go a little.... :hair: or :zombie: or :help: or :wall: Thanks it's nice to know that you are there :muah:

:star: :star:MONDAY MONDAY MONDAY :star: :star:

Lieke
03-19-2007, 06:46 AM
it's monday here :angelgrin:

(just kidding, take your time)

DQ
03-19-2007, 06:58 AM
it's monday here :angelgrin:

(just kidding, take your time)

Here too :teehee:

kblue
03-19-2007, 07:50 AM