PDA

View Full Version : mans sock question

pattieroc
03-13-2007, 11:52 AM
hi all,
I am making a pair of socks using silvers awesome tutorial and I just have a quick question..it says to knit the foot part before the toes for about 7 inches for a womans fot, Iam making these for my sons who all wear size 10 or11 shoes...would making the socks 9 inches before the toe work? thy are overseas so I cant measure their feet
thanks for the help

Webigail
03-13-2007, 11:57 AM
I used the same tutorial in addition to a sock class.

What worked for me, was to hold the sock up against the bottom of my foot. I even tried my socks on to check to see if they were long enough. I didn't want to take any chances.

Chel
03-13-2007, 12:03 PM
I would do 8 inches or so... after all, a sock can stretch out a bit-however having extra sock bunching at the toe is uncomfortable.

But to be safe, we have several excellent guy-knitters here on the board. Maybe one of them would be so kind as to answer your question.

SandraEllen
03-13-2007, 01:26 PM
You can look up foot sizes for shoe sizes. Try a quick google search.

iza
03-13-2007, 01:32 PM
I use this tool here: http://www.thedietdiary.com/blog/lucia/530

This is for a standard sock, but it tells you the length of a foot in various shoe sizes.

Knitting_Guy
03-13-2007, 04:55 PM
I wear a size 12 shoe and when I knit my socks I make the foot about 8 5/8" and they fit me just fine (with some stretching). I would expect that a size 10 or 11 would need about an 8" - 8 1/4" foot (just a guess) before the toe.

In reality I should make the foot about 9 - 9 1/4" inches for my foot size but I hate baggy/bunchy socks.

Here's a chart that shoes shoe size and foot length conversions:

http://shoes.about.com/od/fitcomfort/a/men_inches.htm

pattieroc
03-13-2007, 05:00 PM
thanks to all and especially MASON,
your feet match one of my sons , the youngest has the biggest feet and the other 2 wear size 10, I think your directions make perfect sense and I will let you all know how it turns out, almost done 1 sock, a slow but enjoyable process

Knitting_Guy
03-13-2007, 05:03 PM
You're welcome. Please re-read what I wrote as I added some stuff in edit.