PDA

View Full Version : Wool imposter!

peev
03-13-2007, 12:15 PM
Not sure if this is in the right place, but I couldn't see a 'yarn' section.

I recently went to Estonia for a short trip, and accidentally :wink: bought some wool. I got 6 balls of 3 different colours. 4 of the balls are regular, if slightly coarse wool, but the other stuff is in flat skeins. It is a lovely dark blue, and I thought I might attempt to knit a felted bag with it. So, last night, I got my needles and wool out, and pulled the loose end to begin knitting. It came off in my hand. :shock: I tried again, but the same thing happened.

So, my question is, what have I bought? I don't have a photo of the offending item (but I can get one if necessary), but it basically looks like regular 100% wool, except that if you try to use it, it disintegrates into fluffy tufts (not ideal).

TIA.

Chel
03-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Is it really fluffy-and not twisted or anything? If so, it may be roving. (Stuff spinners use)

Otherwise I would need to see a pic... but roving wa the first thing that popped into my mind.

peev
03-13-2007, 12:36 PM
No, it's not like that - it looks the same thickness as regular yarn, only coarser. I'll get a photo and post it.

Jan in CA
03-13-2007, 12:43 PM
What do you mean it came off in your hand? It came apart or it fell of the needles? :??

peev
03-13-2007, 12:51 PM
It didn't make it to the needles. I was pulling the yarn to get enough to start casting on, and the wool 'broke'. I tried again, in case it was just a weak bit of yarn, and it happened again. You couldn't knit with it.

I'll go and take a photo later on.

brendajos
03-13-2007, 01:01 PM
can you give the brand or anything about the yarn? maybe we can look it up.

peev
03-13-2007, 01:25 PM
There is no brand on the yarn, but I typed what it says into Google, and found a website. I think it may be pre-yarn - I don't know what this is, but it doesn't sound good. :doh:

http://i10.tinypic.com/3zbg4cm.jpg

psammeadred
03-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Peev: Put that thing in a ziploc baggy ASAP. You may have moth damage. If that's the case, you don't want the little boogers spreading to the rest of your yarn.

peev
03-13-2007, 01:41 PM
Really? :shock: It might be too late, as it's been nestling in a bag with other balls of yarn for a couple of weeks now. :pout:

Holly
03-13-2007, 01:44 PM
Eek Moths :shock: ?! Did you buy it in a LYS?

peev
03-13-2007, 01:46 PM
It was in a yarn shop in Estonia. :verysad:

brendajos
03-13-2007, 01:47 PM
i don't know i still think it looks sort of like a roving, basically reeeeeally unspun yarn. :??

iza
03-13-2007, 01:53 PM
I bought bad quality yarn before and it would also break in my hand. Not to that extent, but it was unusable for knitting. :shrug: I really don't think it was a moth problem in my case.

CarmenIbanez
03-13-2007, 01:55 PM
It looks like roving to me too.

Silver
03-13-2007, 02:33 PM
It's just "Pencil Roving". :)

It's ready to be spun with no drafting. If you've ever thought about spinning, get a drop spindle and spin that stuff up asap!

peev
03-13-2007, 02:33 PM
So if it is roving, it's something to do with spinning then? I already know I can't knit with it as is, so I'd probably try to sell it on Ebay (just so I don't waste it).

ETA: A drop spindle? That would be one of those wooden spinning top type things? I guess I could give that a try. :thinking:

Silver
03-13-2007, 02:48 PM
You actually CAN knit with roving (http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/tips/usingpencilroving.htm), it just takes a much gentler hand than with yarn, such as slowly unwind a length instead of pulling on it.

peev
03-13-2007, 03:09 PM
I bet that'd take ages to knit up though, and I'm a slow knitter to start off with. :mrgreen: I might give it a go at some point though - maybe a nice lacy scarf/shawl? I wonder if it stays so fragile once it's been knit - wouldn't want my labour of love to break in two the first time I wore it. :pout:

Thanks for all the replies everyone. :thumbsup: I shall never, ever impulse buy wool again until the next time. :D

psammeadred
03-13-2007, 04:42 PM
Whew! Glad to be wrong about that one!

ecb
03-14-2007, 12:06 AM
you could try needle felting
its cool, fun, and can be SO lovely

Like I need another crafting hobby

ecb

Yarnlady
03-14-2007, 09:45 AM
I agree, something they call pencil rovings as it's supposed to be about the size of a pencil. If you knit very carefully with it it can be made into things that will be fulled.