PDA

View Full Version : Kitschy Kerchief (practice piece)

knit-a-holic
03-14-2007, 02:22 AM
I finished my practice piece from Debbie Stoller's SNB. I wanted to practice my increasing skills, so I used the pattern from the book. I think it came out ok. I'll use a different color next time. I told my bf that I look like a milkmade. Hehe. He says it looks good. I used white red heart yarn, which made it kind of bulky. Oh well. :oops: I like it anyway. Oh...and of course, I'll wear it! :)

sig
03-14-2007, 08:26 AM
:cheering:

feminine_earth
03-14-2007, 08:50 AM
Cute! That was one of the first projects I knitted, and I still wear it! :)

Casii
03-14-2007, 09:08 AM
It looks great! Doesn't look milk maid at all.

rorygilmore
03-14-2007, 09:52 AM
Very cute! :cheering:

sara_jayne
03-14-2007, 09:55 AM
It looks great!

HamaLee
03-14-2007, 10:36 AM
:thumbsup:
Super-cute, and so are you! If I didn't have such a gigantic melon I'd make cute head thingies for myself :lol:

msoebel
03-14-2007, 10:39 AM
Hmmmn...I hadn't thought about that before. A friend of mind isundergoing chemo soon and wanted some ideas of cute "toppers" to wear. She refuses to wear a wig and she doesn't want to wear a beanie every day ( :pout: )...but this...I could make this and her cute little head would still be warm!

Misty

KathyinCali
03-14-2007, 01:57 PM
Adorable! I think I may have to make one :)

knit-a-holic
03-14-2007, 10:09 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments! :) I think I know what to make with my left over yarn now. ;) I have left over lion brand wool-ease, which I think will be perfect for another one. (I know my mother would love one of these, too). Red Heart yarns are the worst to make anything out of. It itches my head whenever I wear it, so I'm going to make another one, but with the Lion brand yarns. No more Red Heart!!! Yuck! :!!!:

Misty: I think that's a perfect idea for your friend. She wouldn't complain about wearing one of those. They're cute and stylish. ;) (I'm sure you can make your own pattern, too.) But if you need the pattern here it is (this is from the Stitch N' Bitch book):

Row 1: knit into front and back (kfb) of the stitch. You have just increased one stitch.
Row 2: knit across both of these stitches.
Row 3: knit into the front and back (kfb) of both stitches. You now have 4 stitches.
Row 4: knit across.
Row 5: Knit the first stitch, knit into the front and back of the next stitch, knit into the front and back of the next stitch, knit the last stitch. You have 6 stitches.
Row 6: Knit across.
Row 7: knit the first stitch, knit into the front and back of the next stitch, knit until there are only 2 stitches left on the needle, knit into the front and back of the next stitch, knit the last stitch.

Repeat rows 6 and 7 until your kerchief is about 7 1/2: long, or the size you want it to be. You should have about 64 stitches. Bind off.

To make ties for your kerchief, cast on half as many stitches as you ended up with, then just bind them all off. Make 2 ties this way. Put a knot in the end of each, and sew the other end to the corners of your kerchief.

Happy knitting!
~Sarah

auburnchick
03-14-2007, 11:46 PM
This is really very cute. Kind of old-fashioned looking, which is a compliment. ;)

aineepooh1
03-15-2007, 11:19 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: