PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing?

Ehren
03-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Hey there, I'm brand new to knitting. I decieded to start really simple and do a one coloured scarf. Why is it getting wider as I go? LOL! Other than that it actually looks pretty good

Ingrid
03-17-2007, 02:53 PM
If you have more stitches than you started with, then somewhere you're adding stitches. It's so common that there's a sticky on the top of the How-To page.

If you have the same number of stitches, it could be that you're just more relaxed so you're knitting looser than when you started.

GinnyG
03-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Count the stitiches on your needle, are there more than when you started? You may not be completing the knit stitich when you pull it off the needle.....which results in a yarn over effect and increases the number of stitiches. Sometimes that happens when you are new or in a hurry.

The other reason, if the number of stitiches is the same, is that as a new knitter your stitch tension is not consistent (some more loose than others) which can make the width variable.

A scarf is a great first project, by the end of it you should have it down pat!!!

Knitting_Guy
03-17-2007, 07:05 PM
:rofl: I did the exact same thing. Amazing how those extra stitches magically appear. I thought I'd somehow bought some magic yarn. Read the sticky mentioned.