PDA

View Full Version : what do these words meen?

tarrentella
03-21-2007, 07:40 AM
theres a few terms i hear on heear and im not entirely sure what they meen. can you help?

1) Frogging
2) a skein
3) a ball (of yarn)
and finally
4) FO

thank you :)

DQ
03-21-2007, 07:49 AM
Frogging is unravelling your knitting if you've made a mistake ('rip-it rip-it')

--> :frog:

A skein is yarn that comes like this -->

http://www.heritageyarns.com/JewelsCotRayf.jpg

A ball of yarn looks like this

--> http://utvikling.com/theresa/images/yarn_ferdig.jpg

A FO is a finished object

:)

SandraEllen
03-21-2007, 07:53 AM
A skein is yarn that comes like this -->

http://www.heritageyarns.com/JewelsCotRayf.jpg

Actually, I would call that a hank... :shrug: I would call a skein something like this
http://cache.lionbrand.com/graphics/yarns/weSkein.jpg

DQ
03-21-2007, 07:56 AM
Really? That's what came up when I looked for pics! I stand corrected then :teehee: :notworthy:

Jax3303
03-21-2007, 07:58 AM
here's a pic I took to show (what I've always been told) L to R a Skein, Hank and handwound ball.

tarrentella
03-21-2007, 08:24 AM
oo controversy!

i think i might be knitting from a skein then
hank was the other word i wanted to know about

actually im knitting froma big tangle at the moment :!!!:

Kaydee
03-21-2007, 10:51 AM
Kintting from a skein is not a great idea, as I'm sure you've figured out with your tangled mess.

aineepooh1
03-21-2007, 10:55 AM
I THINK~ that this "controversy" is just an excuse for someone to show off their yarn "booty"~! :whistle:

Stiney
03-21-2007, 10:57 AM
oo controversy!

If you are knitting from a skein, it should not have tangled. If you are knitting from a hank, it will ALWAYS tangle. You must wind a hank into a ball or skein before you can knit from it.

carmabelle1191
03-21-2007, 11:07 AM
oo controversy!

If you are knitting from a skein, it should not have tangled. If you are knitting from a hank, it will ALWAYS tangle. You must wind a hank into a ball or skein before you can knit from it.
If you took the yarn from the middle of the skein, it shouldn't have tangled, like cawthraven said. Maybe you're working from a hank? :shrug:

dlc
03-21-2007, 11:57 AM
here's a pic I took to show (what I've always been told) L to R a Skein, Hank and handwound ball.

Actually, a centre pull skein, a skein, and a ball. I envy you your skein.

Stiney
03-21-2007, 12:00 PM

Actually, a centre pull skein, a skein, and a ball. I envy you your skein.

The middle picture, the Cherry Tree Hill, is a hank.

AmandaC
03-21-2007, 12:39 PM
I class a skein & hank as the same thing .... i.e. anything that has to be wound before use is to me a skein or hank ...(in my own little world that is :teehee: )

dink
03-21-2007, 12:47 PM
Why is a hank wound the way it is? :shrug: If from what I've been reading, you need to put it into the form of a ball or skein, why even manufacture it that way? :?? I'm just still completely lost on all the different types of yarn, the specific uses of them, etc. I haven't had enough experience with them all yet.

HamaLee
03-21-2007, 01:53 PM
Why is a hank wound the way it is? :shrug: If from what I've been reading, you need to put it into the form of a ball or skein, why even manufacture it that way?

From what I've gleaned, it can damage the fiber for it to be tightly wound in a ball or skein and this is why some yarns come in hanks. Yarn in hanks in my neck of the woods tends to (but not always) be the "nicer" yarn and is more expensive.

My personal belief is that they sell certain yarn in hanks to convince you it's "nice" so they can charge you more money for it. :!!!: And I fall for it every time! :teehee:

Jan in CA
03-21-2007, 02:08 PM
There's a link in my sig to knitting abbreviations that may help you out, too.

tarrentella
03-21-2007, 02:25 PM
I think my main problem came, not from knitting froma skein, but from taking my knitting to work with me in my handbag, dropping it on the bus, kicking it off hte bed, getting a for stuck in it and so on ....

imported_Knitty_Kat
03-21-2007, 06:18 PM
Isn't what we call a hank here in the States referred to as a skein in the UK? I could be wrong, but perhaps that is where some of the terminology confusion comes from. I've always been taught that a skein is wound like an oblong ball, a hank is twisted then tied and a ball is any of the two wound into a ball.