PDA

View Full Version : Do you lie to your Domestic Partner...

Yarnlady
03-21-2007, 10:05 AM
or anyone else about your knitting stash? About how much you have? About how much it cost? EMWTK :teehee:

bailsmom
03-21-2007, 10:14 AM
Nope, my hubby knows when I go to the yarn store and I tell him how much I spent. He doesn't care at all!

What a sweetie, huh?? :heart: :heart:

Stonington
03-21-2007, 10:45 AM
No, no secret purchases here lol. :?? I am always too excited not to share my purchases with DH. He encourages me to stop at the LYS when we are near which is almost every weekend on the way to get groceries :hug: . Such a sweetie he is. :heart:

anne

aineepooh1
03-21-2007, 10:58 AM
NOPE ~ I tell my knitties all the time that I am going to get some yarn candy and if they don't like it they can pack their little bags and leave~!! :roflhard: :roflhard:

BTW: what is emtwk??

nonny2t
03-21-2007, 11:02 AM
Well no, I don't lie, but he doesn't know how much I spend either. I do all the bills and the checkbook so he has no clue what is in the bank or even the balance on the credit cards. Not that he couldn't know as all he would have to do is look at the checkbook register in my purse or online at the bank or credit card companies. He just doesn't care. As for stash, that would be hard because it is kept in wooden basket type drawers in my coffee table.

Since I have a problem spending big bucks on a hank of yarn, I doubt it would ever become an issue.

marykz
03-21-2007, 11:03 AM
well, I might fudge the total a little.... but he knows what I have and when I go. and he's pretty good about NOT saying "why do you need more yarn?" ha ha

Stiney
03-21-2007, 11:04 AM
Don't have one, but I don't see as how it would be any of his business as long as I was using my own money.

Stonington
03-21-2007, 11:07 AM
Don't have one, but I don't see as how it would be any of his business as long as I was using my own money.

hmmm my own money. lol.... :?? It sort of all gets lumped into "our money". Even though he makes more than I do he insists it is our money.

anne

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-21-2007, 11:08 AM
BTW: what is emtwk??

yeah!! :!!!:

I don't lie to my domestic prtner at all. Of course, he lives in another domicile now, anyway. He freely lies to me, though. :grr:

Re: yarn purchases... I buy stuff and then hide it, so when I pull it out a few months later and he says "when did you buy that???" I can say "Oh, months ago! I've had this!" with a guilt-free conscious.

aineepooh1
03-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Hildegard~!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Stiney
03-21-2007, 11:19 AM

hmmm my own money. lol.... :?? It sort of all gets lumped into "our money". Even though he makes more than I do he insists it is our money.

anne

Well, I always plan on having my own checking account. A) You never know what's going to happen, and B) I worked hard for it, darnit! :teehee:

Abbily
03-21-2007, 11:42 AM
LOL Does omission count as a lie? I don't always mention yarn purchases, but if he asked me I would tell the truth. He doesn't mind at all, I just feel guilty because I'm weird that way. :)

Carey

stitchwitch
03-21-2007, 11:46 AM
Nope. He usually shops with me so he knows what I buy and doesn't care. He's usually the one to pick up stuff and instigate me into buying it. I'm more of a "safe buyer" while he just picks for the moment without regard to price, etc. :teehee:

PaperGirl
03-21-2007, 12:52 PM
I may fudge a little on the cost...but hes OK with me buying yarn and stuff. He likes my hobby cause he benefits from it too. :roflhard:

Cause when I spend in yarn and supplies, he gets equal for camping. :roflhard:

Silver
03-21-2007, 01:36 PM
Nope, I can't lie to DH... even about something as harmless as yarn. Besides, I fund my own knitting and spinning habits with my graphic arts work. He lets me spend my own money on whatever I want. :heart:

CarmenIbanez
03-21-2007, 01:36 PM
or anyone else about your knitting stash? About how much you have? About how much it cost? EMWTK :teehee:

Not to my hubby, but to my friends and family who don't know that $8 a hank for cashmere blend is a really good price!

dustinac
03-21-2007, 01:45 PM
:teehee: we only have one car so he either takes me or he helps unload the car when I return... he takes the trash out so he sees the boxes... and one morning he came down to find my whole stash out while I reorganized it.. all he said was boy that stuff sure does add up fast.. he encourages me really.. although he knows I'm trying to work on my stash so he says is that a reward yarn coming? :teehee: he also encourages me to get out and take classes even if I don't need them so I can go knit with others..

Now when I collected bears it was a different story.. he wasn't encouraging lol I'd ask for a bear for Christmas or b-day and he say why? you have so many... but knitting stuff he just goes with the flow.. maybe cause the yarn doesn't sit out everywhere and stare at him.. or its because I'm doing something productive with it.. :shrug:

Jessica
03-21-2007, 01:46 PM
:shifty:

But in my defense, he does that same thing with race car parts so were even. Its a dont ask, dont tell kinda thing so neithe of us have to lie to each other.

Kirochka
03-21-2007, 02:03 PM
I don't lie to DH, period (I don't lie to anyone, except the occasional "Yes, that dress looks lovely" or "What an adorable child..." :roll: ).

Jan in CA
03-21-2007, 02:07 PM
I don't lie to DH, period (I don't lie to anyone, except the occasional "Yes, that dress looks lovely" or "What an adorable child..." :roll: ).

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: We all do that! :shifty:

No, I don't lie, but then I don't spend enough to make it an issue. :pout:

ecuzzacrea
03-21-2007, 02:30 PM
Nope! My husband doesn't care what I buy, yarn or otherwise. I manage our finances and know what we can/cannot spend so it makes no different to him.

I have always been into different types of expensive craft hobbies...scrapbooking, card making, jewelry making, soap making, knitting, etc. We've been together for about 9 years now and he knew what he was getting into. :rofl: I work so I never feel bad about spending. I also don't tend to overspend often.

On the flipside - he's into XBOX, big TVs, computers and games so he probably spends way more than I do, but his is spread out. :teehee:

stitchwitch
03-21-2007, 02:33 PM

But in my defense, he does that same thing with race car parts so were even. Its a dont ask, dont tell kinda thing so neithe of us have to lie to each other.

:roflhard: I've lived with the race car parts thing for almost 15 years. My yarn habit will never come close to 1% of what he spends on parts!!! :rofl:

Carla1019
03-21-2007, 03:42 PM
I have so many hobbies, He never know what I will bring home. But he doesn't care. He know that I am a good shopper and do have a plan for it one day.. maybe not the whole plan, but an idea,, or a thought for what I am going to do with all of this stuff.. :roflhard: :teehee: :---

GinnyG
03-21-2007, 04:00 PM
:oops: :roflhard: :oops: :roflhard: :oops: :roflhard: :oops:
I can't believe you posted this thread this week!!!!! I am taking my second 1/2 day of vacation in two weeks tomorrow to be home when the UPS man comes. My "tracking" info shows that yet another yarn purchase is being delivered tomorrow. Last week I got home early to meet the UPS truck so I could get the yarn unpacked and stashed before my man got home :oops: :oops:

I don't lie, I just "neglect to mention" :angelgrin:

Most of my yarn is stashed on shelves in my spare room. He has NO IDEA how much is actually there!!!!

Lisa1216
03-21-2007, 04:01 PM

:roflhard: I've lived with the race car parts thing for almost 15 years. My yarn habit will never come close to 1% of what he spends on parts!!! :rofl:

Me too!! Hubby is into drag racing and is just about finished building his car. :cheering: I've never lied about what I spend on my knitting. I don't need to nor would I want to. He encourages me to get what I want.

Julie
03-21-2007, 04:12 PM
EMWTK = enquiring minds want to know :D

I've surely been guilty of "omission" :twisted: but my stash is right here out in the open, so to speak, and I wouldn't ever lie about it. :D I mean, really, if he ever made a comment about my buying yarn or fiber when I already have plenty that I haven't used yet...I could just point to his bookshelf, which has about 100 books that he hasn't read yet, and ten complete TV series on DVD that he hasn't watched yet (but that never stops him from buying more). :roflhard:

What can I say, we tolerate each others' vices well... :thumbsup:

RachelJean
03-21-2007, 04:13 PM
I don't lie, but I don't show DH everything either. He knows that I have a lot of yarn, and he can look at our bank account on line anytime and see all the paypal charges - he knows those are for yarn. If he ever added them all up - he'd probably faint, but luckily so far he hasn't done that. :teehee:

sara_jayne
03-21-2007, 04:15 PM
What can I say, we tolerate each others' vices well... :thumbsup:

My DH and I are the same way! Actually, Shane can look at everything I bought and guess +/- $10 EXACTLY how much I spent. He's also the one in the LYS saying "are you sure there isn't anything else you need?" :heart: He doesn't buy much for himself so when he wants to get something for his stereo that is $1000 I'm fine with that because I'm sure I've spent over that in yarn!

KathyinCali
03-21-2007, 04:24 PM
I don't lie or fudge. I wait until he gets home so I can show it too him. He thinks it's funny that I get so exited over yarn....The again, his hobby is so much more expensive than mine he would never open up that can of worms :teehee:

jdee
03-21-2007, 04:57 PM
I don't lie. I'm fortunate to have a husband who doesn't mind how much yarn I have or buy. I return that trust, by not overspending our budget. It really works out well.

Jan in CA
03-21-2007, 05:00 PM
He thinks it's funny that I get so exited over yarn....

Yeah, so does my DH. :teehee: He thinks it's cute. :roll:

The again, his hobby is so much more expensive than mine he would never open up that can of worms :teehee:

Oh yeah..big time! My DH paints and has a sailboat... $$$$$$
:passedout:

imported_Knitty_Kat
03-21-2007, 06:14 PM
Nah. With my husband being the sole breadwinner, I can't do much behind-his-back purchasing nor do I care to. He's always been very nice when I need to buy yarn for a specific project. He has seen my stash and acts as my accountability partner when I really don't need more yarn and think I do. He'll remind me of my beautiful, enormous stash.

Jessica
03-21-2007, 06:17 PM

Me too!! Hubby is into drag racing and is just about finished building his car. :cheering: I've never lied about what I spend on my knitting. I don't need to nor would I want to. He encourages me to get what I want.

Yea, I dont think my $11 hank of Malabrigo comes even close to the $3000 injector hat he just bought :teehee:

Lisa, what kind of drag car does your hubby have? Im curious now.

Birdy
03-21-2007, 08:48 PM
He's doesn't know.

I have tried to tell him stuff in the beginning and he... walked away.

But I can't spend all that much anyways. I'm in charge of the money and I yell at myself alot.

Then again, I hid my Rosewood needles... they were a gift but I had to actually spend the money on it and I couldn't figure out how to explain that to him.

I guess I do lie by omission, but would tell if asked.

Cristy
03-21-2007, 09:01 PM
So after reading this thread...I just asked dh (who is sitting on the couch across from me w/ his laptop open..)...do you think I lie to you about my yarn purchases? He says, "I think you don't get real specific about what you purchase but I don't think you lie to me." I opened my mouth to say something and he says, "you're better of lying..." :roflhard:

I would tend to agree with him...I am a pretty big spender and I know it even though I don't like to admit it. He's exactly the opposite. He NEVER spends money on anything short of the occasional (and I mean OCCASIONAL) sausage biscuit at Hardee's! LOL! I guess I don't think of it as omission b/c I pretty much omit everything I buy just b/c I know he doesn't really care or want to know. I come home and say, "I bought some clothes today at Macys" and he says "Oh boy--clothes! Maybe you can show me later?" and that's the end of it....:)

Stiney
03-21-2007, 09:05 PM
You should model them.

:shifty: :eyebrow:

Cristy
03-21-2007, 09:35 PM
When he's good I do!! :teehee: or at least I did before the baby...

Lisa1216
03-22-2007, 08:01 AM
Lisa, what kind of drag car does your hubby have? Im curious now.

Jessica~He has an '81 Monte Carlo with a 555 big block. Except for the front and rear quarter panels and roof being original, the rest of it is fiberglass. It's a pretty light car and he should be able to run in the low 9's (1/4 mile). He had the motor on the dyno last weekend and he was pretty happy with the numbers it ran. What does your husband run? Mine has also drag raced snowmobiles on asphalt in the past. His sled went 138mph in the quarter mile.

Yarnlady
03-22-2007, 09:01 AM
Well, I'm glad I asked. I have Asperger's Syndrome which causes me to take things literally. So when people post that their DPs say they spend too much money on yarn and they have to hide it, I believe them. I just couldn't understand that all these people were (or perhaps weren't) developing all this guilt and lying skills in order to have a hobby..... :??

Thanks so much for the insight. :muah:

DQ
03-23-2007, 07:12 AM
Nope I don't have to. He knows if I really wants something and lets me get it :heart:

Jessica
03-23-2007, 09:40 PM
Very nice Lisa. Boy has an IHRA Pro-Mod. Its an alcohol funny car with swinging doors essentially. 526CI with a super charger and blower. Goes 240ish mph in low 6's. Its an original 1956 Corvette body with the front end extended of course. And since all corvettes are fiberglass, its super light. This was suppose to be its offical "Unvailing" year where we raced the IHRA curcuit and looked for a sponsor. Unfortunatlly Boy broke his neck a week ago so racing is definatly out for this season and if he doesn heal right, forever. he is heart broken because he built the car by and we put many a blood, sweat and tears on long nights working on it, so its disapointing we wont get to see it go down the track this year. But I'd rather see Boy walking then see the car go down the track so oh well. Here are some pictures of the car.

Lisa1216
03-24-2007, 10:30 AM
Jessica, I sent you a pm so we don't totally hijack this thread!

nadja la claire
03-24-2007, 01:54 PM
Actually I haven't really done much yarn shopping since I became a stashie.

I haven't necessarily lied. I have hidden portions of my purchases and I haven't always told him what I've spent. Is this lying? :shrug:

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

Rorshach
03-24-2007, 02:15 PM
nope, I don't lie, DW will find out anyway. So I'm better off not lying, even the small ones "Does this make me look fat? You betcha." :roflhard: and no, I'm not kidding. If DW asks for an god's honest opinion, I'll give her the unvarnished truth.