PDA

View Full Version : Thanks, Silver.

jdee
03-21-2007, 02:37 PM
I just started making two toe-up socks using your tutorial. I frogged the cast on Three times, but when I slowed down, and read each step as I came to it, I was able to get it right. I now have two little toes on my needles, and am now on the part where I just knit around until it's the right size. I grabbed my row counter, because normally, I would need it to make the other sock the same size as the first. Then I realized "Hey, I don't need that. both socks are right here!" :roflhard: I'm just really having fun with this, and knowing there is going to be no second sock blues makes it even better.

Thank you so much for creating these tutorials. I know it takes a lot of your time, and I really appreciate it.

Silver
03-21-2007, 06:51 PM
You're very very welcome!!! Good luck with your socks!! :muah: :muah: :muah:

jdee
03-22-2007, 11:57 AM
Here's my progress so far. I'm using some Plymouth Encore that I had in my stash, and size 5 needles. I still have a little way to go before I move on to the heel and gusset area, because I haven't been spending as much time on my knitting as I normally would. I'm really enjoying this so much. I've made lots of cuff down sock (which I learned how to do from your other tutorial), but this is the first toe up, and I've never made both at the same time.

I have a habit of zipping out the first sock in no time, then taking what seems like forever on the second. My sister teased me, saying that pretty soon, I was going to start knitting mismatched pairs of socks for everyone. :rofl: I confess, at the time, I was acting grumpy about the second in a pair, because I'd just gotten new yarn, and wanted to use it, but I knew that if I didn't finish the pair then, I probably never would.

aineepooh1
03-22-2007, 01:33 PM
I haven't had the luxury of the time to start this wonderful project b/c of school but~
I am so hoping to do this come summer.. I :heart: :heart: the idea of knitting 2 socks at once~!! :happydance: :happydance:

Silver you are a sweet :heart:

DragonsChest
03-22-2007, 02:03 PM
I've got the needles, I've got the yarn, I've got Silver's tute -- but I don't have the time! Argh. Silver, I can't wait to start your new instructions, but I have to be disciplined and finish what I've started so far.

Thanks so much, Silver! :heart:

jdee
03-28-2007, 11:25 PM
Just an update to show my new socks. This was so much fun, I'm wanting to start a new pair, only with sock yarn. How many stitches should I cast on for the average size foot, using Magic Stripes sock yarn, and #2 needles?

Also, I wanted to know if I could adapt cuff down patterns to the toe up method. I was thinking that I could start with the toe described in the tutorial, then start the pattern for the instep, only backward, do the heel from the tutorial, then finish by doing to leg pattern backward. Does this make sense, and will it work? :shrug: I have books containing patterns for beautiful cuff down socks, and that's why I was wanting to know.

auburnchick
03-28-2007, 11:27 PM
Did your heels have holes in them from doing the short rows? I've still got my "practice" pair OTN, but I can't seem to get past this issue!

jdee
03-28-2007, 11:32 PM
A few, but they were barely noticable, but I did have a pretty bad one on the second side of one of them. I just used a yarn needle, and a small piece of the yarn to sew it shut. I guess that was cheating, but it sure minimized that hole. :teehee:

auburnchick
03-28-2007, 11:57 PM
A few, but they were barely noticable, but I did have a pretty bad one on the second side of one of them. I just used a yarn needle, and a small piece of the yarn to sew it shut. I guess that was cheating, but it sure minimized that hole. :teehee:

I have done the same thing before. I am getting better at picking up stitches on regular dpns though. This has helped alleviate the problem. But short rows...just can't quite figure out how to prevent them.