PDA

View Full Version : Need recomendations for next project

Jill A.
03-21-2007, 06:35 PM
Hi all -
I'm really new here, and have only been knitting a week or two. I have a booga bag almost done, and have done a few other easy projects. I need ideas of what to try next. Something fun, but not too much harder than the booga bag.
thanks,
Jill

psammeadred
03-21-2007, 07:27 PM
Socks!

Socks Socks Socks!

(can you tell I'm addicted?)

Seriously, try Silver's Sock Tutorial (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Intro.htm) - it's the best way ever to learn sock knitting. Don't worry! They're not as hard as they look, not by a long shot! No matter how many needles are involved, you're only using two at once. The rest are just there to hold the stitches. Socks are also a great portable project.

Jill A.
03-21-2007, 07:41 PM
REALLY?????
I thought socks were 10+ on the difficulty scale!

I'll think about it, and see if I am brave enough.

Thanks!

psammeadred
03-21-2007, 10:44 PM
You can do it! If you can cast on, purl, and knit, you can knit socks! The first 2-3 rounds on double-pointed needles are a bit tricky, but after that, it's smooth sailing.

carollovesyarn
03-22-2007, 04:07 AM
Knitty's Fuzzy Feet knit up just like socks, but then felting erases all inconsistencies. They were my second project. http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter02/PATTfuzzyfeet.html

Jill A.
03-22-2007, 10:53 AM
Thank you for the pattern help. I think I can do the felted booties - felting is the cure for what ails my knitting just now.

Jill

Rennagayle
03-22-2007, 04:07 PM
I was terrified of socks before I tried them, too. I decided to give them a try as a new knitter, figuringing what's the worst that could happen, aside from poking an eye out with a double pointed needle (and I've yet to hear of that happening to anyone!).

I followed Silver's tutorial, taking it one step at a time. She takes you by the hand and leads you every step of the way. Between her up-close photos of each step, and her concise directions, they really are easy enough for a newbie.

Granted my first sock didn't look fantastic, but it did greatly resemble a sock, and I was immensely proud of my effort. Practice improved my tension and my ribbing, but that's what a new knitter needs lots of, (along with patience) is practice. :wink: